Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

Just now, Jillibean said:

I'll say this--neither Bridget nor John seemed to notice in the moment that Suni took out the additional wolf turn on beam, and I think Nastia would have. 

Agree. I haven't been that impressed with either of them today. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Enjoying this music. Another near disaster on a wolf turn. Someone save us from the wolf turns.

Here comes Suni soooo nervous I can't watch.

13.7 for Suni, that should guarantee her the podium! 

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 1

It is so nice to see the other gymnasts step up and get credit for their hard work.  I am almost more excited about Suni being champion than I would have Simone.  Nothing against Simone, but it is nice to see others shine too.

• Love 12
(edited)

I am just so happy for Suni! What a competitor! And five in a row for the US. Has that been done before?

ETA: According to Wikipedia the Soviet Union had 3 AA champions in a row. So the US already had that record.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 5

Wow, congratulations to Suni on winning the all-around! She did an awesome job on all the events especially bars. Can’t wait to see her in the bars event final. It was a well-deserved win. She’s been so consistent and a great asset to the team.

Jade did a good job despite the balance beam. Finishing in the top 10 is no easy feat. 

Overall, it was a great all-around final. 

• Love 8

In other news, Nikita Nagorny is a class act.

Nagorny said that when he realized he wasn’t in the running for gold anymore, he cheered for Hashimoto Daiki:

“I cheered for Hashimoto in the end. I knew that he had a chance to win and I wouldn’t have been able to reach him. Before his HB routine, I approached him and said: “I believe in you, you can win”.

Q: What do you think about Simone Biles withdrawing from the team final and the all-around final?

A: I got upset about it. I empathise with her and wish her to figure her issues out as soon as possible. I hope we’ll see her again on the competition floor at the Olympics. But it was a good chance for our women’s team and they took it. I noted her comment that she lost the feeling of celebration inside. Perhaps, that’s due to [the lack of] spectators [here], because the whole world is cheering for her. But we still wish her to get better soon and get rid of all the problems.

• Love 10

OK, I've gotten about 2.5 hours of sleep (West Coaster here), but YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

SO excited for Suni!  I only followed along with the scoring updates since I was too nervous to watch, but what a nail-biter and how incredible for her!!!

I'm also THRILLED for Rebecca!  First AA medal for a Brazilian gymnast, and how wonderful for her individually and that program!!

Now, must. go. back. to. bed.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Were you expecting this guys? 

I would have liked to see Andrade pull it out because Brazil has never won a medal let alone a gold but Suni was always a strong possibility so this outcome is not surprising at all. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I just wonder whether people on social media will now finally shut up about Simone Biles and stop beating her up for withdrawing from the Team Final and the All-Around since Suni won Gold in the AA. And that's all I'm going to say about Simone.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 6

Simone’s qualification scores were higher than Suni’s winning score tonight so that could-have-beens continue to suck. 

I’m so happy for Suni and I like her bars routine better than Nina’s. Nina’s routine is fine but some of her form (feet) is not that great. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Now, must. go. back. to. bed.

I'm going to need an extra cup or three of coffee today.

The nice thing about Suni winning is that NBC will have extensive coverage of gymnastics tonight, because MURICA WON.

• Love 4

I watched NBC's feature last night on Suni Lee and her dad's relationship This morning as I watched I started tearing up thinking about her dad celebrating in Minnesota as she won gold

• Love 8

From Maggie Astor’s NYTimes in-person coverage:

"There's more cheering than you’d expect in a stadium without fans. Members of delegations, Olympics staffers and volunteers are letting out big cheers whenever anyone nails an impressive routine. You can make out a distinct voice from the crowd though — the one person who seems to know everyone on the floor. Simone Biles is cheering for many gymnasts — Brazilians, Americans and French alike so far — by their first names."

• Love 19