Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

CBC playing the Rosie puff piece now.

She's arguably our most underappreciated Olympian in recent history, just because her chosen sport isn't one that people care a ton about.  Her not being the closing ceremony flagbearer in London when she was the only gold medalist (that we knew of) was ridiculous.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Nice beam routine by Suni. Simone is a powerhouse of course, but I like Suni's style better. It's more fluid and graceful.

Yeah Suni's routines are a thing of beauty that's more my style. Brooklyn Moore's floor was SO amazing as well

• Love 4
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Yeah Suni's routines are a thing of beauty that's more my style. Brooklyn Moore's floor was SO amazing as well

Angelina Melnikova is beautiful to watch too. Hers and Brooklyn Moors' routines are my favourites.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Apparently the Gymnastics arena is under construction which is why it looks not finished because it is not lol. I read that it is suppose to be replaced by a much larger arena https://www.axios.com/getting-set-for-mens-gymnastics-tokyo-2020-2bf33ced-371b-4e2d-be75-1ad75fd989fd.html

I could hear Simone cheering for Melnikova as well which I thought was nice. I remember during the 2018 worlds Terry commentating on how Morgan Hurd and Melnikova were talking to each other while waiting. 

I get the impression that there is much more comradery than there used to be. I remember watching a recent interview with Daniela Silivas and she mentioned that the Romanians and Russian never spoke to one another and that 30 years after Seoul she never spoke with Shushunova once. 

Wasn't there a story about how Simone was disappointed that Iordache was injured and wasn't going to be in Rio? Apparently they considered each other friends and spoke on occasion. It's nice to see athletes from other pulling for one another.

Looking at older meets from the 70's, 80's, and 90's, you can tell teams never spoke or interacted with one another.

Nellie Kim really didn't like Nadia in '76 and proceeded to punish Romania any chance she got when she became a judge.

• Love 6
(edited)
4 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

Nellie Kim really didn't like Nadia in '76 and proceeded to punish Romania any chance she got when she became a judge.

I remember reading that when Nellie Kim became president of the committee that overhauled the gymnastics scoring system, she proceeded to do everything she could to devalue what the Romanian gymnasts were good at.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, DawnDavenport said:

I get the impression that there is much more comradery than there used to be. I remember watching a recent interview with Daniela Silivas and she mentioned that the Romanians and Russian never spoke to one another and that 30 years after Seoul she never spoke with Shushunova once. 

Wasn't there a story about how Simone was disappointed that Iordache was injured and wasn't going to be in Rio? Apparently they considered each other friends and spoke on occasion. It's nice to see athletes from other pulling for one another.

Looking at older meets from the 70's, 80's, and 90's, you can tell teams never spoke or interacted with one another.

Social media can be toxic but I think for gymnasts it definitely is a good thing. Gymnasts from different companies now follow each other and so they see a side of their competitors that isn't just competitive.

I also think tools like Duolingo and Rosetta Stone make the language barriers less daunting. 

I remember the Silivas interview and being depressed. She spoke about entire years where she didn't have a single day off from the gym, being forced into getting that hideous perm, and how after the Olympics she never spoke to Shushonova again and then found out Shushonova died. It didn't sound like she really had many fond memories of such a storied career.

• Love 2

I will forgive NBC a lot if the primetime coverage includes regular looks at Suni's family reacting to her routines.

Great vault for Suni!

Jade's smile to her dad in vault warm ups was sweet as was his shoulder pat. I hope they have a good athlete/coach relationship like it looked.

Killer vault from Rebeca. 

NBC, those colors you post next to the scores mean exactly nothing. You're not posting anything for comparison so stop it. Yes, I get that someone getting a 12 on an event is bad but if everyone sucks on the same event a 12 could be the high score so putting that red square next to it is just confusing for your audience. GIVE CONTEXT if you're going to keep doing it.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

I remember reading that when Nellie Kim became president of the committee that overhauled the gymnastics scoring system, she proceeded to do everything she could to devalue what the Romanian gymnasts were good at.

I've heard people say that too

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Oh and Also also (I forgot to say what i was gonna say)
Trampoline starts today and Canada can actually do that well, so hopefully we can all cheer on another (gold) medal  (Don't make me cheer alone, y'all). 

lol You may need to send us a wakeup call. 😉 When is it on?

4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

NBC, those colors you post next to the scores mean exactly nothing.

They have been so determined to force some version of that on us for so effing long that I’m convinced that it’s a particular pet idea of Dick Ebersol’s.  It makes no sense.  Never has.  Never will.   

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Social media can be toxic but I think for gymnasts it definitely is a good thing. Gymnasts from different companies now follow each other and so they see a side of their competitors that isn't just competitive.

Agreed. It's really helped them avoid the "we hate you on principle!" nonsense of the past. That video I posted earlier of the medalists being happy and cute together would never have happened in Olympics past. The connections they've been able to forge due to social media have made the sport that much better and it's lovely to watch.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

Yes Simone did! I think social media has made it easier for the international gymnasts to keep in touch with each other. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I get that someone getting a 12 on an event is bad but if everyone sucks on the same event a 12 could be the high score so putting that red square next to it is just confusing for your audience. GIVE CONTEXT if you're going to keep doing it.

NBC did.  They said the colors designate the appropriate scores BASED ON (RECENT) COMPETITIONS.  

I hope folks here are satisfied with tonight's coverage ... lots of routines from INTERNATIONAL gymnasts!!  It's nice too when everyone does well.  

• Love 3

Nastia talking about how learning to fall is one of the first things a gymnast learns while we see Jade's struggles from her bars warm up is the kind of commentary I want during the competition. Showing the warm up gave us context to why she chose not to make that initial transition and knowing that she knows how to fall helps reassure use that she's ok physically. 

I also liked how Nastia's experience being coached by her own dad was brought in to contextualize Jade and her dad. That's the kind of thing they need to keep doing in between routines.

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Khorkina glaring daggers at everyone who wasn't herself

hahahahahaahahaaaahaaa.  Sveta's glares were a thing of beauty. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Nastia talking about how learning to fall is one of the first things a gymnast learns while we see Jade's struggles from her bars warm up is the kind of commentary I want during the competition. Showing the warm up gave us context to why she chose not to make that initial transition and knowing that she knows how to fall helps reassure use that she's ok physically. 

I also liked how Nastia's experience being coached by her own dad was brought in to contextualize Jade and her dad. That's the kind of thing they need to keep doing in between routines.

I really enjoy Nastia's commentary. I like watching gymnastics, but don't know a ton about it, and I think she is good at explaining what is a mistake and what gymnasts may have done wrong to lead to the error. 

If I was just watching on my own I'd have no sense of who was better than others because it all looks pretty amazing to me.

• Love 11
Just now, Minneapple said:

Gotta admit I kind of miss the pure hatred. Svetlana Boguinskaya glaring daggers as Kim Zmeskal receives her gold at the world championships. Khorkina glaring daggers at everyone who wasn't herself. You have to admire a sheer hatred that can manifest across decades, like the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry in football.

This is my favorite Diva Khorkina moment. After a teammate wins the gold medal, what does Diva do but sit on her ass and glare?

• Love 5

I really have to hand it to Tim and Nastia this evening.  They are focused, giving good commentary and insight, and showcasing all of the athletes.

I hope everyone involved (not just them) is engaging in some self-reflection on how they helped create this insane, pressure-filled atmosphere.  

• Love 9
1 minute ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

NBC did.  They said the colors designate the appropriate scores BASED ON (RECENT) COMPETITIONS.  

Oh I understand that but it still doesn't mean anything since they aren't showing us the routines that made tonight's scores good, bad, or average. Like I said, a gymnast could score a 12, which is terrible, but have it end up being the top score if everyone sucks on the same apparatus so just marking it red doesn't tell us anything. If they marked it red and then showed us the same gymnast doing a much better version then it would explain why it mattered even in the event that it ended up the top score of the apparatus.

(edited)

I just watched the women's team competition and I swear NBC sucks with only showing bits and pieces and then the rundown of Simone's mistakes pissed me off and then the camera shoved in her face the entire time. Then interviewing the team their main focus was on Biles. These young women just won silver and the focus should have been on them and not Simone. You could tell with them asking her twice that she was not ready to talk. Give her some damn space and get the camera out of her face. And if anyone was watching from the camera angle that faced the whole floor you can see her face when she is coming from that vault and it scared me. I had seen from the other side and you couldn't see her face. 

NBC needs to focus more on all of the games and not just certain athletes from the US. They also need to give these athletes space. It reminds me of the days that they would interview the drivers in Nascar after they crashed and then be upset when they didn't want to talk about it or would cuss. 

Michael Phelps and his words were right on. These athletes need to be okay on and off the field. 

Edited by toodywoody
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, KaveDweller said:

I really enjoy Nastia's commentary. I like watching gymnastics, but don't know a ton about it, and I think she is good at explaining what is a mistake and what gymnasts may have done wrong to lead to the error. 

If I was just watching on my own I'd have no sense of who was better than others because it all looks pretty amazing to me.

In recent memory (2016 I think) one of my favorite moment was from the online feed with Courtney Kupets. A gymnast did her full twisting double tuck bars dismount and was still in the air when Courtney said "she's going to stick" and then, when the gymnast did, went on to explain that the placement in the air told her that she had enough height to spot the ground and prepare her feet to land. Courtney herself did that dismount so she knew from personal experience what was needed to stick and it was so cool to see. She didn't do it with every skill of course but her own experience really informed her commentary.  

I like Nastia and think she does a good job but I think NBC doesn't let her really express her knowledge like they do with the online commentators. I think she'd probably give a ton more context to various moves like Courtney did if they'd just let her do it. 

I blame Tim but then I still blame him for Mckayla falling on her second vault.

• Love 4
(edited)
12 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

The replay of the dismount had a lady in red in the stands jumping up and down for Suni and now I want to know everything about her. I hope to see her when Suni does her floor routine.

I think it was Hoda Kotb lol. This was her reaction to Suni's Floor routine during Team Finals 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I like the overhead shot when they are on the beam. Really shows how narrow that beam really is!

No one in their right mind should be on that thing, let alone tumbling around on it. 😄

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

I know she likes her Today Show gig but she's clearly meant to be Head Cheerleader for Women's Gymnastics.

I agree. The one thing I like about Hoda's love for the Women's Gymnastics team during Rio and this olympics is that she focuses on the athletes! not the coaches. It is so refreshing after all the years focusing on the Karolyi's.

• Love 10
Just now, irisheyes said:

Swimming is live.

And it is STRESSING ME OUT.

2 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

The one thing I like about Hoda's love for the Women's Gymnastics team during Rio and this olympics is that she focuses on the athletes! not the coaches.

Yep she understands what matters.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Twenty five years ago they were using video cassettes to help viewers conceptualize how small the balance beam is. Well, times change and now we're supposed to imagine our phones.

Anyone else put their phone on the floor and hover their foot over it to see what it's like? Me neither. 🤣

But seriously, I have no idea how they flip and jump on the beam. I can't even do any of that on flat, even ground.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
Just now, emma675 said:

Anyone else put their phone on the floor and hover their foot over it to see what it's like? Me neither. 🤣

Me neither. I just look at how wide my foot is and know that I couldn't do anything on a surface that small.

• Love 3

It's ridiculous that I was getting nervous watching Suni on beam, even knowing she had won.

I took gymnastics as a young thing, as part of a sports camp.  We didn't do much more than spotted tumbling, simple leaps and dance moves on the beam, but that thing was so narrow.  These days, athletes are doing things on the beam that weren't even being thought of for the floor.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Twenty five years ago they were using video cassettes to help viewers conceptualize how small the balance beam is. Well, times change and now we're supposed to imagine our phones.

I thought it was a silly thing to say because phones are different sizes. My phone is a few years old and smaller than the latest version.

• Love 2

I had seen this earlier during streaming and was hoping to see it again. Super cute moment with Suni and Jade signaling to someone in the audience not to cry. I thought it was their teammates but some people on twitter think it's Hoda.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
Just now, Minneapple said:

I had seen this earlier during streaming and was hoping to see it again. Super cute moment with Suni and Jade signaling to someone in the audience not to cry. I thought it was their teammates but some people on twitter think it's Hoda.

Hoda confirmed they it was directed at her in the clip I linked up a few posts ago.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5