Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

It's ridiculous that I was getting nervous watching Suni on beam, even knowing she had won.

😄 It's okay. I still bite my nails watching the scene in Witness when the kid is in the washroom stall, even though I've seen it a gazillion times.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

So, is NBC going to show us the floor or just announce that Suni won? Yes, I know swimming is live, but they only had gymnastics in the first 90 minutes of each broadcast.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 1
Just now, emmawoodhouse said:

So, is NBC going to show us the floor or just announce that Suni won? Yes, I know swimming is live, but they only had gymnastics in the first 90 monitor each broadcast.

They'll put in the floor routines and, hopefully, medal ceremony near the end of the primetime broadcast for maximum drama.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

So, is NBC going to show us the floor or just announce that Suni won? Yes, I know swimming is live, but they only had gymnastics in the first 90 monitor each broadcast.

Tick Tock GIF by memecandy

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

They'll put in the floor routines and, hopefully, medal ceremony near the end of the primetime broadcast for maximum drama.

Actually, they'll go back to gymnastics in about 15-20 minutes, so sit tight!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SeanC said:

CBC playing the Rosie puff piece now.

She's arguably our most underappreciated Olympian in recent history, just because her chosen sport isn't one that people care a ton about.  Her not being the closing ceremony flagbearer in London when she was the only gold medalist (that we knew of) was ridiculous.

However she got to be the Opening Ceremonies Flag Bearer for Rio which (I personally think) is soo much cooler. (But yah not giving her the closing ceremony one was dumb)

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

As long as I've watched gymnastics I still don't know the names of so many moves. Angelina the Not Russian did a lovely turn holding her leg up high. Maybe the wolf turn will be replaced with that one? 

It's called the Mustafina. Named after Queen Aliya.

My sister said that a lot of the FX dancing was like Elaine's thumb dancing and once you see it you can't unsee it:

• LOL 6

Was it just wrong timing for them showing the team watching Suni win, or was Jordan the only one excited?  The rest just sat there while Jordan jumped up to cheer.  Maybe they missed a better moment and didn’t show it.

• Love 1
Just now, alexa said:

Was it just wrong timing for them showing the team watching Suni win, or was Jordan the only one excited?  The rest just sat there while Jordan jumped up to cheer.  Maybe they missed a better moment and didn’t show it.

I think it was just timing.

• Love 2
Just now, alexa said:

I saw the live feed this morning and they were definitely up and cheering. Poor shot.

• Love 2
(edited)

Ugh. Poor Jade. She seems like such a good kid. I wonder if she will decide to continue the sport.

So glad to see Suni win the gold.

I was kinda glad to see our girls - and other athletes as well - seemed to ditch the heavy stage makeup. But which has now been replaced by those fucking eyelash extensions. I hate them. They all look so fake to me.

Like Bessie The Cow.

BMoZuI-CEAAB7TJ.jpg

Edited by seasons
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 minutes ago, alexa said:

From watching Jordan since 2017 she makes everyone else look subdued because she has so much energy. I think it was a bad shot since they looked excited on the feed this morning. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

In recent memory (2016 I think) one of my favorite moment was from the online feed with Courtney Kupets. A gymnast did her full twisting double tuck bars dismount and was still in the air when Courtney said "she's going to stick" and then, when the gymnast did, went on to explain that the placement in the air told her that she had enough height to spot the ground and prepare her feet to land. Courtney herself did that dismount so she knew from personal experience what was needed to stick and it was so cool to see. She didn't do it with every skill of course but her own experience really informed her commentary.  

I like Nastia and think she does a good job but I think NBC doesn't let her really express her knowledge like they do with the online commentators. I think she'd probably give a ton more context to various moves like Courtney did if they'd just let her do it. 

I blame Tim but then I still blame him for Mckayla falling on her second vault.

Having listened to both, I think Nastia overall did the better job. But yeah, Tim really makes it difficult to listen to. I will say that I didn't catch the three passes versus four on floor (and neither did Bridget and John) and Tim and Nastia pointed it out and theorized why she might have taken it out. 

2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

The commercial that Taylor Swift narrated was pretty good.

Tim, I will pay you everything in my bank account to never say any version of "gymnastics 101, stick the landing". We know but shut up. 

I told my sister at dinner that he says it every night and it drives me nuts. When he said it tonight I felt her looking at me as I took very deep breaths in and out through my nose. Every time he says it he acts like it's so profound and hilarious and maybe it would have been if he didn't say it every hour on the hour. 

The friendship and support between Suni and Jade is beautiful and was a joy to watch. Jordan definitely seemed the most excited in the moment they showed, but this morning on the live feed I could tell something had happened in the second before we saw the score because of Team USA shrieking.

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Jillibean said:

I told my sister at dinner that he says it every night and it drives me nuts. When he said it tonight I felt her looking at me as I took very deep breaths in and out through my nose.

Hahaha! I think Tim's nonsense would have given me a stroke years ago were it not for this (and TWOP) forum keeping the blood pressure in check.

• LOL 5
4 minutes ago, ferjy said:

I guess there's no commentators on the live feed in the app. Well this sucks.

There's commentary on the website.

I'm not sure I can stay up for Rosie, given how late it is here, but perhaps I'll try.

1 minute ago, SeanC said:

There's commentary on the website.

I'm not sure I can stay up for Rosie, given how late it is here, but perhaps I'll try.

I've got my provider's cbc channel on but they don't seem to be showing it. Interviews instead. I'll try the CBC website.

19 minutes ago, ferjy said:

There we go. That was weird watching without commentary.

I guess Daisy fell asleep. 😄

HAH no. I am an Olympian (watcher) but I am on CBC live and didn't see it. lemme go see her routine. 

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Daisy said:

HAH no. I am an Olympian (watcher) but I am on CBC live and didn't see it. lemme go see her routine. 

Yeah I sat there for a while too. It's on their website live but not on TV.

Now Sean fell asleep. 😄

Edited by ferjy
1 minute ago, ferjy said:

Yeah I sat there for a while too. It's on their website live but not on TV.

Now Sean fell asleep. 😄

was Rosie early or just recently?
Like they kept showing rowing ca-mon. CBC. be better. (i saw us win already)

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

was Rosie early or just recently?
Like they kept showing rowing ca-mon. CBC. be better. (i saw us win already)

I know!

Rosie was on maybe third, I think. That I saw anyway. Took me a while to get in.

She was on about 20 minutes ago, going by the timestamp on my post.

Edited by ferjy
5 minutes ago, ferjy said:

I know!

Rosie was on maybe third, I think. That I saw anyway. Took me a while to get in.

Oh I caught it. she looked fantastic. great height on her routine. 

Also also that annoying Whistler isn't there. YAY!
Lowish score though

Just now, Daisy said:

Oh I caught it. she looked fantastic. great height on her routine. 

Oh, where did you see it? I don't see a replay on the site. Still says live.

Yeah. She placed fourth 48.840.

Just now, ferjy said:

Oh, where did you see it? I don't see a replay on the site. Still says live.

Yeah. She placed fourth 48.840.

I just re-wound it (since you said  she was 3rd) 
She's probably holding back. Rosie's scored much better than that.

1 minute ago, Minneapple said:

Wow, trampoline is fascinating. They deliberately can just...flop on their faces!

hahaha it's really fun

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I just re-wound it

Oh, ha. I didn't think you could do that live on the site. Good to know. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I don't like Canada's leos in this event. The Artistic ones were so nice with the cherry blossoms, i wish they had those ones

The ones from Japan, with the duo colours, red on one side, white on the other... as they spin around you feel like you're watching two different people. One angle they're red the other angle white. 😄

Edited by ferjy