Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

I’m thrilled for Suni! And Brazil’s first gymnastics medal! I missed it live but can’t wait to watch in prime time.

I just wish the media articles just let Suni shine without mentioning Simone. I don’t have a problem with Simone and I understand why they keep mentioning her in connection, but this is Suni’s moment.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Jillibean said:

I'll say this--neither Bridget nor John seemed to notice in the moment that Suni took out the additional wolf turn on beam, and I think Nastia would have. 

They sure didn't. I thought I was imagining things! 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

And Brazil’s first gymnastics medal

Regardless of color, this Olympics,much like the Rio Games, appears to be the chance for a lot of countries to win a medal for the first time.

• Love 14
31 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I’m thrilled for Suni! And Brazil’s first gymnastics medal! I missed it live but can’t wait to watch in prime time.

I just wish the media articles just let Suni shine without mentioning Simone. I don’t have a problem with Simone and I understand why they keep mentioning her in connection, but this is Suni’s moment.

I’m happy for Brazil too! Rebecca Andrade is truly an impressive gymnast. I think she has a great chance of winning gold in vault.

Unfortunately for Suni, there will always be a comparison to Simone. I’m sure there will be critics who say that Suni only won because Simone didn’t compete which is unfair. Up to this point, it’s been all about Simone in the media especially on NBC, when in reality, there are so many other wonderful gymnasts in the US and around the world who just haven’t received that same level of attention.

Suni has a great chance to medal in her next events and I think Jade does too. It would be awesome to see Jade win as well. I loved how supportive she and Suni were of one another.

• Love 18
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Steph619 said:

Suni has a great chance to medal in her next events and I think Jade does too. It would be awesome to see Jade win as well. I loved how supportive she and Suni were of one another.

And Simone is still there giving them all moral support and cheering them on. She has never once made it all about herself since withdrawing, and the fact that the others on the team have stepped up and won on their own merits proves to me that while Simone may be the GOAT, she is NOT the reason this team exists or the sole reason that these wonderful young ladies have already accomplished so much. So the media really need to shut up about her now that Suni has won Gold and the others appear to be poised to medal in the event finals, including the very strong possibility of winning even more Golds on their own merits.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 24
4 minutes ago, Steph619 said:

Unfortunately for Suni, there will always be a comparison to Simone. I’m sure there will be critics who say that Suni only won because Simone didn’t compete which is unfair. Up to this point, it’s been all about Simone in the media especially on NBC, when in reality, there are so many other wonderful gymnasts in the US and around the world who just haven’t received that same level of attention.

Yeah, it's sad and unfair. Suni beat Simone in the Olympic Trials so we'll never know what would have happened.

• Love 3
(edited)

I logged onto the NBC Sports App to replay the competition since I was unable to watch live, but the darn replay is not up yet. Argh.

Anyway, I was very happy to see that Suni won gold!! So happy for her. And Brazil gets their first gymnastics medal. Is this the first time two women of color have been on the podium?

I can't wait until they get the replay up on NBC Sports so that I can go back and watch. 

Congrats to Suni and Rebecca!!!

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Jillibean said:

Also McKayla was at the Olympics with her rapist being forced to submit to further abuse from him. I don't think anyone should have anything to say about whether she was being a "brat" or whether she should have been "more appreciative." SHE WAS LITERALLY BEING SEXUALLY ABUSED AT THAT OLYMPICS. She can make whatever face she wants. 

You are totally missing my point - that McKayla got a pass because she is white, while had she been black the perception, reaction and aftermath of the smirk would have been different. 

Whatever the narrative about Simone dropping out, it is naive to think that the color of her skin is not part of that. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Raachel2008 said:

You are totally missing my point - that McKayla got a pass because she is white, while had she been black the perception, reaction and aftermath of the smirk would have been different. 

Whatever the narrative about Simone dropping out, it is naive to think that the color of her skin is not part of that. 

Yeppers. Not to mention that folks didn’t know about the abuse in that moment so it’s not even a valid critique of those who had issues with McKayla at that time. 

Anywho, loved the women’s AA final. It’s nice to see a close competitive final where the top four-five finishers were all generally good and there were only minor bobbles! Congrats to Suni Lee and to Rebecca, Angelika and really all of the finalist for a wonderful final. 

1 hour ago, Steph619 said:

I watched the Olympic trials and some of NBC's coverage of these games, and they have devoted a good bit of attention to Suni.  Yes, Simone was the front-runner, the GOAT, etc., but Suni has the type of human interest backstory that NBC and other sports journalists love.  I have no doubt that the interns at NBC have been splicing together a narrative on Suni from what they have already shown and some unseen footage.  Suni has been their Plan B for awhile.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Steph619 said:

’m thrilled for Suni! And Brazil’s first gymnastics medal! I missed it live but can’t wait to watch in prime time.

first WOMEN'S gymnastics medal.  Brazil won 3 medals in men's gymnastics in 2016.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Raachel2008 said:

I wasn’t responding to your point specifically. Your point was about racism, and I agree with it. I was adding in context that we are talking about a survivor of sexual assault and I didn’t see that being acknowledged when discussing the appropriateness of her behavior at the time. 

I don’t disagree with you about race AT ALL. Gabby Douglas got absolutely torn to shreds for doing nothing wrong in Rio. People have been waiting for an opportunity to tear Simone down for a very long time. White gymnasts have gotten away with things that at the time, in the context we had, seemed rude or disrespectful or ungracious.  Racism plays a huge role in how we perceive people’s public actions. Agree on all counts.

However, when we’re discussing opinions about whether McKayla’s expression was disrespectful, childish, or bratty, there should be acknowledgement of the fact that we now understand on some level (because who knows if we’ll ever know all of it) what she was being subjected to. Again, sure, we didn’t know at the time and she didn’t get flak she could have because she’s white. Agreed. We know now, though, so maybe we can say “at the time I thought it was blank” rather than not contextualizing the behavior being discussed with what we now know was happening behind the scenes. 

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Thrilled for Suni too!  Figured out the Peacock App is free so was awake in the wee hours of the morning watching live.  I'm pleasantly surprised that NBC only cut very briefly to the stands to show Simone cheering her teammates on.  And when Suni won the gold?  The focus remained on her and only her (at least from what I can remember).  It's Suni's moment.  They rightfully let her have it.  Somewhere in a production room, I'm sure a cameraman had his camera trained on the stands and Simone the entire time, and a smart producer said "No, stay on 1, stay on 1..." (or something like that, I don't work in tv...)

It's impossible to mention anything about Suni's win without at least prefacing it with Simone pulling out.  She's the GOAT.  It's a big deal.  This Olympics all around will be remembered probably most for her pulling out, not for Suni becoming the first Asian American to win the all around.  Not fair to Suni, but it's unavoidable.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Simone’s qualification scores were higher than Suni’s winning score tonight so that could-have-beens continue to suck. 

And Rebeca's were higher than  Suni's, so...

This is something that I loathe in sports, all the ifs. What if Simone had been there, what if Melnikova had been better on the beam, what if Rebeca hadn't landed wrong, etc. Fuck that. Those three girls were exactly where they should have been on the podium -they deserved those medals because they were awesome.

It is just offensive and patronizing, IMO, all that 'any other day Simone/insert name would have won' talk. There is no other day. There is just today. And nobody in that podium was less than brilliant.  

I'm very happy for Suni, who was awesome. I hope Rebeca wins a gold in the individuals. I'm expecting the Russians to win a few. I wish a few other athletes from other countries would medal too.

ETA: I don't mean this as a direct reply to you, just the general idea of 'could have been/should have been' when clearly Suni, Rebeca and  Melnikova are high performance athletes on the op of their sport.

Edited by Raachel2008
  • Love 20
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Raachel2008 said:

And Rebeca's were higher than Simone, so...

This is something that I loathe in sports, all the ifs. What if Simone had been there, what if Melnikova had been better on the beam, what if Rebeca hadn't landed wrong, etc. Fuck that. Those three girls were exactly where they should have been on the podium -they deserved those medals because they were awesome.

It is just offensive and patronizing, IMO, all that 'any other day Simone/insert name would have won' talk. There is no other day. There is just today. And nobody in that podium was less than brilliant.  

I'm very happy for Suni, who was awesome. I hope Rebeca wins a gold in the individuals. I'm expecting the Russians to win a few. I wish a few other athletes from other countries would medal too.

ETA: I don't mean this as a direct reply to you, just the general idea of 'could have been/should have been' when clearly Suni, Rebeca and  Melnikova are high performance athletes on the op of their sport.

Lee 57.433
Andrade 57.298
Melnikova 57.199

These are the final scores from today.

Biles qualification score: 57.731

I have no idea what your first sentence is referring to. Biles qualified first, not Andrade. Andrade’s qual score was 57.399.

Its an observation. People extrapolate from these numbers all the time. They also did it when Simone lost to Suni on night two of the Trials. It’s not a huge deal to make this observation and to feel wistful for what might have been. I’m pretty sure Suni isn’t scrolling (I hope she isn’t). 

11 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Edited by Conotocarious

I wonder if after a few days, Simone might bow out of Vault (too mental, allows her good friend MyKayla Skinner to sub in) and bow out of Bars (she'd likely not medal) ... but focus on beam (which she missed Gold in Rio) and FX.  Hoping she competes in a few, if not all.  But it's all up to Simone.

• Love 3
(edited)

I like spoilers, so now I can enjoy watching the replay tonight knowing Suni won the gold! 

1 hour ago, greyhorse said:

This Olympics all around will be remembered probably most for her pulling out, not for Suni becoming the first Asian American to win the all around.  Not fair to Suni, but it's unavoidable.

So true.  Simone is an elite athlete who set the bar very high for herself by attempting such advanced routines.  As expected, expectations were high.  We've never seen this happen before, so the media scrutiny/curiosity will go on for awhile.  The dust will settle and there will be a new story to write.  She just has to ride this out for awhile.  I just wish someone else on the team could've replaced her.   I hate that one of them missed out.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Lee 57.433
Andrade 57.298
Melnikova 57.199

These are the final scores from today.

Biles qualification score: 57.731

I have no idea what your first sentence is referring to. Biles qualified first, not Andrade. Andrade’s qual score was 57.399.

I meant Suni, but typed Simone - I Just fixed that - Rebeca finished qual ahead Suni so what? Suni was amazing today and deserved the gold. Would Simone have won the gold? How can we know? She may have made mistakes even if she had been in her A game. Suni may have been better. Another gymnasts have stepped up.

For me what counts is that Suni won the gold. Rebeca the silver. Melnikova the bronze. That's it. 

• Love 4
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Raachel2008 said:

I meant Suni, but typed Simone - I Just fixed that - Rebeca finished qual ahead Suni so what? Suni was amazing today and deserved the gold. Would Simone have won the gold? How can we know? She may have made mistakes even if she had been in her A game. Suni may have been better. Another gymnasts have stepped up.

For me what counts is that Suni won the gold. Rebeca the silver. Melnikova the bronze. That's it. 

I mean, I think we’re all aware of that. But people are allowed to notice things and post about them. I’ve seen the same thing in other gymnastics forums. It happens all over sports. No one is trying to take Suni’s medal away.

However, if Simone was on her A game, there’s no question she wins. People on their A game aren’t making mistakes. And as B game Simone’s errors in her quals beat every score here there is no doubt in my mind that A game Simone wins. A game Simone is unbeatable and it’s just a fact. 

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I like spoilers, so now I can enjoy watching the replay tonight knowing Suni won the gold! 

I like spoilers too. I'm a wreck when the Olympics are in the US and/or live. LOL

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Minneapple said:

This brought me to tears again…

Damn this dust is everywhere today! 

6 hours ago, Harry24 said:

From Maggie Astor’s NYTimes in-person coverage:

"There's more cheering than you’d expect in a stadium without fans. Members of delegations, Olympics staffers and volunteers are letting out big cheers whenever anyone nails an impressive routine. You can make out a distinct voice from the crowd though — the one person who seems to know everyone on the floor. Simone Biles is cheering for many gymnasts — Brazilians, Americans and French alike so far — by their first names."

I heard her in the crowd too - she is such a mensch.  I absolutely love her.  

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm just starting to watch the replay, the all 4 apparatus view without any commentary.  A couple of women in Suni's group got a 0.1 penalty on the vault.  Does anyone know what for? 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
(edited)

This Brazillian girl had it at the palm of her hand, and she stepped it away. 
Way to go Sumi. 

It was a great meet (like the Mens)

Im not sure how Sumi pulled ahead on Beam (she nearly fell and removed an element?) but i guess her degree of difficulty was still higher. it's still moot since Rebecca had mistakes on her floor.

Edited by Daisy
(edited)

Just finished watching the full coverage on the App and all the ladies did such a great job despite all that pressure. That Belgium gymnast is also great and bummed she wasn’t able to get on the podium. Most would have been upset for missing out on the gold but Rebeca looked genuinely happy about her silver. Despite her two miscues her floor routine is wonderful. I hope she gets a gold on the floor or vault. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I'm just starting to watch the replay, the all 4 apparatus view without any commentary.  A couple of women in Suni's group got a 0.1 penalty on the vault.  Does anyone know what for? 

That 0.1 is called a neutral deduction and indicates a foot (or part of a foot) landed or stepped/hopped outside one of the left or right lines on the mat. I think 1 foot out is 0.1 and but both feet is 0.3. 

It's an out of bounds of sorts like on floor. I believe on the lie is considered out. I saw Andrade's vault and she got the deduction and landed on the line.

Things like hops/steps, form deductions, landing position etc. are reflected in the execution score. 

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

That 0.1 is called a neutral deduction and indicates a foot (or part of a foot) landed or stepped/hopped outside one of the left or right lines on the mat. I think 1 foot out is 0.1 and but both feet is 0.3. 

It's an out of bounds of sorts like on floor. I believe on the lie is considered out. I saw Andrade's vault and she got the deduction and landed on the line.

Things like hops/steps, form deductions, landing position etc. are reflected in the execution score. 

Thanks for the explanation.   It has been confusing to me when they deduct from the execution score and when they give a penalty.  It doesn't seem consistent. 

3 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

BRB, crying again. 

Seriously, Suni deserves every bit of this and Simone was an incredible teammate. I could see her being a great coach one day (if that's what she wants to do). 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

However, if Simone was on her A game, there’s no question she wins. People on their A game aren’t making mistakes. And as B game Simone’s errors in her quals beat every score here there is no doubt in my mind that A game Simone wins. A game Simone is unbeatable and it’s just a fact. 

But she wasn’t on her A game. She wasn’t competing at all in the AA. So what does it matter?

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

But she wasn’t on her A game. She wasn’t competing at all in the AA. So what does it matter?

This. Lost in all this shock about SImone not competing is that she hasn't put in a "clean" routine since Trials. She was very off at Olympic trials, off in quals, and off in the famous "twisties" vault at the team final.

If Simone was on her C game and still won, she wouldn't have been happy. She's a known perfectionist. 

Thankfully, she knew herself and knew her body, and so she decided to let everyone who could bring their A game compete. Thus we got an awesome podium of gymnasts who absolutely brought their A game. 

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Thankfully, she knew herself and knew her body, and so she decided to let everyone who could bring their A game compete. Thus we got an awesome podium of gymnasts who absolutely brought their A game. 

I have no doubt there was a whole different vibe in the arena with Simone in the stands rather than competing. 

And I still hate that damn arena.  It looks so unfinished.  It looks like they're performing in a construction site. 

1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Watching sports I enjoy live is SO STRESSFUL.

We record our college & NFL football games so that we can FF through commercials, and when the going gets tough, we can walk away and check ESPN to see if we should tune back in!  At least with the Olympics in another country, I know what happened before I get home from work so I can watch or not watch, depending on the outcome!  

(edited)
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

This Brazillian girl had it at the palm of her hand, and she stepped it away. 
Way to go Sumi. 

It was a great meet (like the Mens)

Im not sure how Sumi pulled ahead on Beam (she nearly fell and removed an element?) but i guess her degree of difficulty was still higher. it's still moot since Rebecca had mistakes on her floor.

I think Rebecca’s beam, while performed with a great deal of confidence may have had a missed connection and some deductions on split form. I thought all the beam scores were kinda low.

I also thought Andrade’s vault was significantly better than Carey’s and I can’t believe there was only a tenth separating them. The judges need video review or  something. 

In the end, the right person won. I wonder now what Suni’s next move will be? She’s supposed to go to Auburn. 

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 3

Also. Also. 

Today

5 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

I think Rebecca’s beam, while performed with a great deal of confidence may have had a missed connection and some deductions on split form. I thought all the beam scores were kinda low.

I also thought Andrade’s vault was significantly better than Carey’s and I can’t believe there was only a tenth separating them. The judges need video review or  something. 

In the end, the right person won. I wonder now what Suni’s next move will be? She’s supposed to go to Auburn. 

thanks for this :)

Oh Ellie Black pulled out due to injury. I was wondering why she was out. 

Oh and Also also (I forgot to say what i was gonna say)
Trampoline starts today and Canada can actually do that well, so hopefully we can all cheer on another (gold) medal  (Don't make me cheer alone, y'all). 

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Thankfully, now she can still do college gymnastics AND cash in on all the endorsements too. I think it’s a fantastic change for elite gymnasts. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Apparently the Gymnastics arena is under construction which is why it looks not finished because it is not lol. I read that it is suppose to be replaced by a much larger arena https://www.axios.com/getting-set-for-mens-gymnastics-tokyo-2020-2bf33ced-371b-4e2d-be75-1ad75fd989fd.html

I could hear Simone cheering for Melnikova as well which I thought was nice. I remember during the 2018 worlds Terry commentating on how Morgan Hurd and Melnikova were talking to each other while waiting. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4