Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

Lingling's routine was beautiful. Rosie's gonna have to seriously bring it. (I have faith)

Bryony Page's routine was good but she lost a lot of height. If Rosie is clean she should be at least third. 

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Lingling's routine was beautiful. Rosie's gonna have to seriously bring it. (I have faith)

Bryony Page's routine was good but she lost a lot of height. If Rosie is clean she should be at least third. 

And she did!

Dang, the dreaded fourth!

Edited by ferjy

Way to go Rosie. She took a while to get started. I think she lost height near the end as well but i think it should be good enough to move up. I think China is still 1-2. Wow. still 4? Okay there judges. 

Poor Japanese girl :(. that was so sad. She was off direction that whole routine. 

2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Jade to Suni "I'm so proud of you".

Excuse me while I weep.

I'm so happy the days when they weren't encouraged to get to know each other are over.

And even when Jade was getting ready for her own floor routine when Suni got her winning numbers, she glanced over at Suni with the biggest grin. Lovely moment.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Whoa and the Canadian girl fell too :( That's a lot of crashes today

Must be heartbreaking for them. but at least no injuries.

Oh wow. Rosie was super injured. I didn't realise that she had all this stuff. (Kyle said that she super broken). that's why her difficulty isn't that high. Kyle said that Rosie wanted it confidential until she made it to Tokyo. Well I'm just happy now whatever she does. 

8 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Oh wow. Rosie was super injured. I didn't realise that she had all this stuff. (Kyle said that she super broken). that's why her difficulty isn't that high. Kyle said that Rosie wanted it confidential until she made it to Tokyo. Well I'm just happy now whatever she does. 

That's a shame. Well it's almost over Rosie then you can go rest.

Just now, ferjy said:

That's a shame. Well it's almost over Rosie then you can go rest.

mhm.
apparently Rosie also hates being first after qualifications because it means she's last. she likes being in the middle because she can lay the boom and then intimidate everyone after her. haha

Aw, the girl from Mexico falling now. She was almost done too.

Just now, Daisy said:

Wow, Mexican girl fell too. what's with these tramps today?

Did the cleaners oil them down? Jeez.

American girl is traveling. so i don't think her score will be that high. 

1 minute ago, ferjy said:

Did the cleaners oil them down? Jeez.

right? like I've never seen so many falls before. 

6 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Apparently the Gymnastics arena is under construction which is why it looks not finished because it is not lol. I read that it is suppose to be replaced by a much larger arena https://www.axios.com/getting-set-for-mens-gymnastics-tokyo-2020-2bf33ced-371b-4e2d-be75-1ad75fd989fd.html

LOL, now that explains it.  I guess when they realized there weren't going to be fans in the stands, it was like "why bother? let's go on to the next job..."

• LOL 5

I think this is the first time I've watched trampoline.

As I was watching, I was casually wondering whether or not Simone could work on her twists if she were on a trampoline and had extra height.

Then everyone went splat.  I would say not.  Ha.

Those protective mats are very smart but it makes me think there was probably a time when they didn't have those mats and how dangerous that must have been.

Just now, ferjy said:

Is it? They said it was a little low and she didn't seem particularly thrileed.

I've seen her do better. but i mean considering everything we know (now) that's a good score. I don't think she's going to win gold though if i'm honest, unless China screws up. 

1 minute ago, Daisy said:

I've seen her do better. but i mean considering everything we know (now) that's a good score. I don't think she's going to win gold though if i'm honest, unless China screws up. 

And now Great Britain is ahead of her.

(edited)
1 minute ago, ferjy said:

And now Great Britain is ahead of her.

Honestly I'm probably going to have to watch Rosie's routine again - but I'm not sure how Page scored higher than her (but i'll acknowledge my bias). There was some travel on her tricks so it might have been that. 

but I don't see china screwing up - so I think Rosie's medaless.

oh thanks Kyle. Yah. Rosie's traveling cost her a medal. 

Edited by Daisy
Just now, Daisy said:

Honestly I'm probably going to have to watch Rosie's routine again - but I'm not sure how Page scored higher than her (but i'll acknowledge my bias). There was some travel on her tricks so it might have been that. 

but I don't see china screwing up - so I think Rosie's medaless.

They did mention she was travelling so yes, maybe.

Well, here goes nothing.

(edited)
Just now, ferjy said:

I was thinking the other one.

Well I tend to curse the people I cheer for, so maybe the other one LOL

hahaa seee? 

Poor Rosie :(
(but you know coming back from a massive ankle injury and finishing 4th is a win in my book. I bet if she were healthy she'd kick the butt).

Edited by Daisy
Just now, Daisy said:

Well I tend to curse the people I cheer for, so maybe the other one LOL

And your curses are spot on.  lol

Ok then, can you start cheering for China in everything? 😄

(edited)

Now that I've watched the women's AA (twice), I can say it was just a terrific competition.  It was incredibly tense and competitive, and the three medalists all performed beautifully, as did Urazova, Derwael on bars, Jade on vault and floor, and Murakami.  My favorite thing about watching was the genuine camaraderie between these young women.  In the top group, all six of them cheered for each other before and during routines and hugged and fist-bumped each other after routines.  And it wasn't just the gymnasts in the top group: Simone and the rest of Team USA were cheering all of them on during their routines; I distinctly heard Simone cheering for Angelina during her beam routine.

In any event, I could not be happier for Suni, Rebecca, and Angelina!  Ladies, congratulations, it was a joy to watch you!

Edited by NUguy514
  • Love 17
Just now, Daisy said:

And first time since 2000 Canada doesn't have a medal in Trampoline. feels poops. 

I think she was saying it would be her last Olympics too. Lousy way to go out.

3 minutes ago, ferjy said:

I think she was saying it would be her last Olympics too. Lousy way to go out.

Very very. She's 32 right now, so I honestly don't see her (especially with her injury history) being 3(5, 6, 7) depending her on her birthday to come back. 

(edited)

Simone trying her hardest to work through her twisties. Unfortunately, it seems they are affecting her on every event she says. But she did get access to a foam pit. However she also  says it has taken weeks to get over them in the past.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

Simone trying her hardest to work through her twisties. Unfortunately, it seems they are affecting her on every event she says. But she did get access to a foam pit. However she also  says it has taken weeks to get over them in the past.

It annoys me that people have to keep explaining the issues to idiots who've never competed in this (or any other) sport.  It's a damned dangerous sport, and being off even a little bit can result in serious injury.  But no, Simone should've just powered through and not been a quitter - UGH with this attitude.

Dominique Moceanu has compared gymnastics to diving into an empty pool to express the sheer danger of the sport.  

I hope Simone can work through her issues in time to compete because she is a joy to watch when everything is working.  But her health, both mental and physical, is far more important than medals or teamwork or patriotism or whatever some people seem to think is such a big deal.

• Love 20
(edited)
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It annoys me that people have to keep explaining the issues to idiots who've never competed in this (or any other) sport.  It's a damned dangerous sport, and being off even a little bit can result in serious injury.  But no, Simone should've just powered through and not been a quitter - UGH with this attitude.

Dominique Moceanu has compared gymnastics to diving into an empty pool to express the sheer danger of the sport.  

I hope Simone can work through her issues in time to compete because she is a joy to watch when everything is working.  But her health, both mental and physical, is far more important than medals or teamwork or patriotism or whatever some people seem to think is such a big deal.

Completely agree. I know that feeling and you know its a lost cause with the way people decide their opinion and then can never be convinced otherwise but its so, so hard just to let it go. She doesn’t owe anyone an explanation with video proof and it makes me sad to see she feels she does.

But yeah, if falls like that were happening in team finals there would be no medal at all. And then people would have torn her to shreds for her poor performance (those people don’t care at all if she injures herself). She really did do the exact right thing for the team.

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Shannon Miller was describing hitting the same sort of mental block on NPR this morning, and how it took her two weeks of training to relearn the element.

I just wish they could come up with a better term than "the twisties" because that's just giving critics a field day. 

• Love 7

I wish more people realized how incredibly dangerous is it to compete without an air sense.  Simone could very easily have been seriously injured or even killed.  I'm so glad she realized what was going on and pulled out.  

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I just wish they could come up with a better term than "the twisties" because that's just giving critics a field day. 

Oh my gosh, I know.  I cringe every time I hear that phrase.  "Twisties" somehow sounds like a 3 year old running around throwing a temper tantrum.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, SweetSable said:

Oh my gosh, I know.  I cringe every time I hear that phrase.  "Twisties" somehow sounds like a 3 year old running around throwing a temper tantrum.

To me it sounds like a candy name.

In fairness though, the “yips” sounds like a type of hiccup.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

To me ["twisties"] sounds like a candy name.

Now I'm picturing red and black Twizzlers twisted together.

I would love to see Simone be able to compete in an individual event final(s) but her health, both mental and physical, come first.  

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Someone hating the wolf turn as much as us. 

I actually kinda like it.  I wouldn't miss it if they stopped doing it, but it's okay.  It's fun to watch when a gymnast does it really fast.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

Shannon Miller was describing hitting the same sort of mental block on NPR this morning, and how it took her two weeks of training to relearn the element.

I think that's probably what's some of the problem. The name doesn't seem like it's part of a serious thing though if you follow any kind of sport that has twisting in it (Gymnastics, Snowboarding, Diving, Trampoline etc etc etec) you know exactly why it is. I mean I guess the official name is Spacial Awareness Syndrome or something like that. (Rosie had it a few years ago). but i've always known about it as "Twisties."

It also doesn't help that most people don't follow sports that have twisting (unless you actively follow Gymnastics, diving, etc etc etc) so you never hear about it. So I'll say honestly, I don't blame people (at first), for going , wait what now? But i think at this stage of the game knowing that it's a lack of air awareness, people clearly should be putting two and two together and going "Oh yah if you don't know where you are in the air, that could spell danger." 

I just tell people, like when people go "So and So wouldn't pull out." I simply say - "Equate this as a concussion. If they are hit in the head, or showing signs of mental distress, there are people in the stands to instantly pull them out of the game. Why? Because being out there is in dangerous to their health and safety.  That's what Simone did. Concussion spotter'ed herself out of there since there are no "twisties" spotter in the stands". People generally understand it that way. 

I always figure once you've been explained it in that much depth (that it's simply not competing with torn such and such and broken what nots or even competing with the flu, or a sudden death in the family which is a choice I respect- this is akin to a concussion), people drop it. If people still decide to be dumb bunnies about it, they are deliberately being obtuse and I just ignore them. i don't have time for that. 

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 8

I absolutely hate wolf turns 😑. I think that most of the times whether it’s performed on the balance beam or on floor, it just ends up looking so sloppy. I much prefer to see the Mustafina skill on floor. That one is so beautiful!

It’s a shame that Simone still has to explain her decision. She’s losing awareness in the air and some people just don’t seem to want to understand that if she doesn’t land correctly, she could get seriously injured.

I hope to see Simone in the event finals, but I completely understand if she decides not to compete. 

• Love 6