Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Completely agree. I know that feeling and you know its a lost cause with the way people decide their opinion and then can never be convinced otherwise but its so, so hard just to let it go. She doesn’t owe anyone an explanation with video proof and it makes me sad to see she feels she does.

But yeah, if falls like that were happening in team finals there would be no medal at all. And then people would have torn her to shreds for her poor performance (those people don’t care at all if she injures herself). She really did do the exact right thing for the team.

I actually get the sense that some people are annoyed that she didn’t fall all over the place and cost the team a medal. I think there are some people who badly wanted to see her get knocked down a few pegs, and they’re annoyed that she has the air awareness “excuse,” and that they can’t just call her a choker or failure. Therefore, they just pretend like they don’t get it, even though the twisties has been explained by numerous people in detail at this point. Nothing will make a difference to them.

• Useful 3
  • Love 16
30 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I actually get the sense that some people are annoyed that she didn’t fall all over the place and cost the team a medal. I think there are some people who badly wanted to see her get knocked down a few pegs, and they’re annoyed that she has the air awareness “excuse,” and that they can’t just call her a choker or failure. Therefore, they just pretend like they don’t get it, even though the twisties has been explained by numerous people in detail at this point. Nothing will make a difference to them.

I think you hit the nail on the end. Some people are a little to angry and gleeful about the whole situation. Honestly, I wish Simone would quit trying to explain and respond. Her record speaks for itself. And I would love if the media would focus more on Suni and the other members of the team; who still have opportunities to medal in the event finals. I would be shocked if Simone competed in the event finals, as her issues seems pretty severe. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SweetSable said:

I would love to see Simone be able to compete in an individual event final(s) but her health, both mental and physical, come first.  

My gut says that when she walked off in the team event, she figuratively left her shoes on the mat at that point. (In wresting, it's the symbol that they're declaring retirement from the sport)  

Angelina Melnikova interview:

Q: Simone explained her withdrawal by mental issues. Have you ever experienced something similar?

A: I had it as a kid, it’s a major problem and it’s hard to fix. Only time helps. I saw that she got lost in the air on vault in the team final and I know that when you get lost, you might not understand what you’re doing [in the air]. But I think that I never experienced exactly what Simone is going through right now because I’m not like Simone and I’m not as famous as her. I can imagine how hard it is to handle all that fame. I even wrote a supportive message to her. It’s a real pity it’s happening. I hope she’ll recover fast because the whole world admires her gymnastics and everyone is waiting for her to come back to the competition floor.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Jess14 said:

I actually get the sense that some people are annoyed that she didn’t fall all over the place and cost the team a medal. I think there are some people who badly wanted to see her get knocked down a few pegs, and they’re annoyed that she has the air awareness “excuse,” and that they can’t just call her a choker or failure. 

I hate to say this and I would love to be wrong, but, judging from some of the hatred I observed on social media, before I started muting and blocking, there were an outspoken minority who would have been pleased if Simone had gotten hurt.  Oh, maybe not badly hurt, but badly enough that she wouldn't be able to compete.  These were the same people who vociferously protested against the "GOAT" on her leotard, even though she's earned it multiple times over, or about her speaking out about the Federation. 

They would have been maybe a little sorry, but that's what you get, when you push the bounds of the sport beyond what is safe, right?  The fact that she decided that her life and health were worth more than an Olympic medal (not to mention that the team had a better chance of medaling without her, given her current health condition) infuriated them.  They wanted her to be a character in a saga, not a real, live human being.

Again, I'd love to be wrong about this, but there was an undertone to some of those posts that was really quite disturbing.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jess14 said:

I think a lot of people would still really like to blame this on her not being mentally tough enough, like "okay fine the twisties might be a thing but they wouldn't happen if she were just TOUGHER." You're right that it's willful ignorance. Some people just really like to explain why elite athletes whose achievements they could never even hope to contemplate could be better if they just worked a little harder.

On a completely separate note, I think it speaks to who Simone is that every gymnast or twisting athlete who has been asked has stepped up for her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
On 7/27/2021 at 8:51 AM, pennben said:

This team could have fallen apart when Simone went out.  They did not.  Well done by them.  Gold is not the only measure of success.  I will remember this team.  

On 7/27/2021 at 9:56 AM, Liamsmom617 said:

Anyone else on here old enough to remember when Nadia fell off the bars at the 1978 World Championships in Strosberg? I will never forget that jerkoff Jim McKay being so overly dramatic and negative (I remember what he said WORD FOR WORD: "Well, there you have it...the changing of the guard. Nadia Comaneci COMPLETELY FALLING APART on the uneven bars, where she thrilled the world in Montreal!") I cried. OK, I was 10, but Nadia was my girl and I was heartbroken for her b/c of how the media was spinning it. 

I collect vintage gymnastics memorabilia and I have the issue of Time magazine from Montreal '76 with Nadia on the cover. The article on her has this horrifically misogynistic depiction of Olga Korbut--according to the writer she was very jealous to no longer be the center of attention. I can't remember the exact writing of it but they sure do love to set these girls up and then tear them down four years later.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:45 AM, kittykat said:

Also big hooray to Britain for snagging bronze!!!  That looked like an interesting four way fight for bronze.

I didn't even find out GB won the bronze until later. I love their gymnastics and am super annoyed NBC didn't show any of their sets.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:06 PM, kittykat said:

Rooting for Jade and Suni.  In terms of underdogs, is anyone rooting for Nina Derwael?  She was on the eighth place Belgium team but tied Suni for the highest  score on bars and generally seemed consistent from team finals, I'm hoping to see some of her.

Nina is gorgeous on bars! I'm very excited for the bars final.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:16 PM, DawnDavenport said:

Unfortunately, Atler was a bit of a headcase and had major issues with consistency throughout her career, especially on bars. At the time she was considered one of the most naturally talented US gymnasts ever, just couldn't put it together when it counted.

She suffered a major ankle injury in early 1999 that set her back and by the time 2000 trials rolled around, she had deteriorated on her best events: vault and floor. Lots of folks thought she was unfairly left off the team but in hindsight it was the right decision.

She was berated by her coach, Steve Rybacki, on national television during the 1999 Nationals and she immediately left the Rybacki gym right after, went to Worlds and had promising start, ended up 32nd in the AA. Turns out her ankle wasn't truly healed and she had to have surgery right after.

There is a link at the Balance Beam Situation website that recaps the 2000 Olympic Trials and how much of a hot mess that quad was for the US:

https://balancebeamsituation.com/2015/06/24/2000-olympic-trials-special-victims-unit/

https://balancebeamsituation.com/2015/07/04/2000-olympic-trials-part-2-shes-still-not-ok/

Ironically, this was the first year they started the team coordinator position and it was Bela then. So it's interesting to see how/why that position started. 

Fuuuuuuck Steve Rybacki. I well remember that tirade. And then in 2000 that cringe-inducing interview with him and Beth during Trials. JFC people, have some pride and don't beg the gymnast you abused to come back to you--on TV!

On 7/28/2021 at 8:26 PM, DollEyes said:

Especially offensive is Piers Morgan, who had the nerve to lecture Simone and Naomi about quitting after he quit his own show in a huff after the mildest criticism of his obsessive hatred of Meghan Markle, like the loudmouth, thin-skinned and phone-hacking hypocrite he is.  

Just admit you hate Black women already, Piers. What a POS.

On 7/29/2021 at 10:28 AM, scarynikki12 said:

How cute are they?

This is adorbs.

21 hours ago, ferjy said:

I love watching Brooklyn Moors. I like the little flourishes she adds. So graceful.

Oh, she's lovely! Sooooo elegant.

• Love 6

I'm very happy that Suni won the AA, but I was also really rooting for Rebeca Andrade. She was amazing! And I loved that she used Bach's Toccata and Fugue as her floor music- it was so random to hear that badass dracula music amid all the other boring stuff, lol.

I was so disappointed when she stepped out of bounds (twice!) and lost her shot at the gold, but when they said that she wouldn't have even been able to compete if the Olympics had happened last year (due to injury/surgery), I was super happy for her. And she must feel so proud to be the first woman from her entire continent to win an Olympic medal in her sport. Congrats to her!

• Love 19
1 minute ago, Cherpumple said:

I'm very happy that Suni won the AA, but I was also really rooting for Rebeca Andrade. She was amazing! And I loved that she used Bach's Toccata and Fugue as her floor music- it was so random to hear that badass dracula music amid all the other boring stuff, lol.

I was so disappointed when she stepped out of bounds (twice!) and lost her shot at the gold, but when they said that she wouldn't have even been able to compete if the Olympics had happened last year (due to injury/surgery), I was super happy for her. And she must feel so proud to be the first woman from her entire continent to win an Olympic medal in her sport. Congrats to her!

As thrilled as I am for Suni, I would've been happy with Rebeca as well. And YES on the Toccata! Sometimes for Worlds gymnasts will choose Halloween music, I loved hearing it in July! Very happy to see some Brazilian success, they are such lovely gymnasts.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

She has some beautiful gymnastics. I read she is doing an Amanar for her second vault in vault finals and even though its a bit of a risk because of her knee I hope she crushes it. If Simone can’t vault for gold (and I seriously cannot imagine she’s going to do the final) then I’m Team Andrade.

• Love 11
59 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Roll tide!

I will second your Roll Tide!  I was hoping to see gymnast Shallon Olsen (Canadian team/Bama alum).  I don't know where Canada placed in the team event.  I don't think Shallon did as well as she wanted to (saw a short article somewhere).   I believe her specialty is Vault, but I don't know if she will be in the individual event.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ChitChat said:

I will second your Roll Tide!  I was hoping to see gymnast Shallon Olsen (Canadian team/Bama alum).  I don't know where Canada placed in the team event.  I don't think Shallon did as well as she wanted to (saw a short article somewhere).   I believe her specialty is Vault, but I don't know if she will be in the individual event.  

we didn't place :(

a lot of the athletes we sent this year were just coming off super major injuries, or injured themselves during qualifying (Ellie Black) so we're not having a good Olympics (for our standards which is pretty low since we're not really usually in the mix)

3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

we didn't place

Sorry about that!  FWIW, one of my favorite ice skating pairs from Canada is Isabelle Brasseur and Lloyd Eisler.   They were truly a dynamic duo back in the day!  My favorite events at any Olympics is gymnastics in the summer and ice skating in the winter!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ShellsandCheese said:

I would be shocked if Simone competed in the event finals, as her issues seems pretty severe. 

How long before the events does she have to make a decision?

I know they have reserves listed - who I presume would be training the last few days as if they were definitely going to be competing.  But how much advance warning are they likely to get if they're going to be moved up a spot?

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Sorry about that!  FWIW, one of my favorite ice skating pairs from Canada is Isabelle Brasseur and Lloyd Eisler.   They were truly a dynamic duo back in the day!  My favorite events at any Olympics is gymnastics in the summer and ice skating in the winter!

I loved them too!! (Until Eisler proved to be such a jerky douche). but i loved their skating for sure. Even though I can't follow them as much as i could when i was younger, i love these sports as well (but Olympics makes me love ALL sports basically). 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, choclatechip45 said:

I think it's funny with the Alabama/Auburn rivalry and Alabama being a powerhouse in Women's College gymnastics for a long time that Auburn will have the first ever Women's All Around competing in college. 

Respectfully, I don't think Bama fans will be losing any sleep over this!   Good for Auburn though!  Several of the SEC gymnastics teams are very talented.  They all face some tough competition along the way!   FWIW, Bama had Canadian Shallon Olsen on their team, and she was in the 2016 & current Olympics.  I'm sure Bama benefited from her knowledge and experience as much as Auburn will benefit from Suni's.  I wish her well.  

• Love 1

Its not unexpected, of course, but it does suck hardcore.

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

I loved them too!! (Until Eisler proved to be such a jerky douche). but i loved their skating for sure. Even though I can't follow them as much as i could when i was younger, i love these sports as well (but Olympics makes me love ALL sports basically). 

Is Eisler still with Kristy Swanson?

5 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Its not unexpected, of course, but it does suck hardcore.

Is Eisler still with Kristy Swanson?

Yeup they are still married

• Useful 1
20 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Out of uneven bars and vault, at least. They said McKayla Skinner will do vault,

At this point I think it's best that she make a decision - or as we say in the South: Shit or get off the pot.  It's unfair to leave others hanging not knowing if they're going to compete.  They need to get psyched up and prepared for it.  It wouldn't be right to let them practice their guts out just to find out that they won't compete.   This is meant as no disrespect to Simone.  

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

At this point I think it's best that she make a decision - or as we say in the South: Shit or get off the pot.  It's unfair to leave others hanging not knowing if they're going to compete.  They need to get psyched up and prepared for it.  It wouldn't be right to let them practice their guts out just to find out that they won't compete.   This is meant as no disrespect to Simone.  

There won't be replacements on beam or floor. 

(edited)
5 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

There won't be replacements on beam or floor. 

Well, not American replacements. But I imagine there are girls from other countries that would move up? I wonder how that works: do competitors just hang around in case they might get called for an event final? I imagine people who think that they’re done might’ve already gone home.

ETA: I do think she has the right to take as much time as she needs to continue practicing to see what she thinks she can get through. Those other competitions aren’t until Monday and Tuesday, which gives her another two or three days of practice.

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 minutes ago, tanyak said:

Well, not American replacements. But I imagine there are girls from other countries that would move up? I wonder how that works: do competitors just hang around in case they might get called for an event final? I imagine people who think that they’re done might’ve already gone home.

Right, no American qualified to compete those apparatuses as a replacement. I imagine the next in line goes; Skinner just happened to be in that position in vault.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, tanyak said:

ETA: I do think she has the right to take as much time as she needs to continue practicing to see what she thinks she can get through.

I don't.  She's already pulled out of the team and AA events.  If it means that someone else has a chance to compete, then she should decide sooner rather than later out of fairness to them.  If that's not the case, then more power to her.  I don't know how it works either.  

• Love 2

I believe if a third American qualified in the top 8 but got 2 per countried out then they would be the replacement.  If not then the 9th place qualifier no matter what country takes the spot.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, tanyak said:

This year people are supposed to go home within 48 hours after they are finished competing. It’s one of the new COVID rules.

Athletes who qualified but were excluded because of the 2 per country rule and the ones who just missed qualifying stay as reserves. If I am reading it correctly, Melanie de Jesus dos Santos (France) would take her spot on bars, Urara Ashikawa (Japan) on beam and Jennifer Gadirova (Great Britain) on floor. 

Edited by Guest

I don't.  She's already pulled out of the team and AA events.  If it means that someone else has a chance to compete, then she should decide sooner rather than later out of fairness to them.  If that's not the case, then more power to her.  I don't know how it works either.  

I agree. Like- I understand that you want to compete but I honestly don't think you're going to be 100 percent to go in like 3 days. Let the next person have their Olympic moment, and you just concentrate on getting better.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I agree. Like- I understand that you want to compete but I honestly don't think you're going to be 100 percent to go in like 3 days. Let the next person have their Olympic moment, and you just concentrate on getting better.

I think that’s true for a purely physical injury but not for what she is experiencing. She could be 100%. I don’t see what difference it makes if she makes the decision now or two days from now. 

1 minute ago, Dani said:

I think that’s true for a purely physical injury but not for what she is experiencing. She could be 100%. I don’t see what difference it makes if she makes the decision now or two days from now. 

well most people say it takes weeks to fully get over from twisties. I don't really know if like the 4-5 days is gonna make a difference, but i guess we'll seee

Throughout this ordeal, Simone has been respectful enough to withdraw early enough to give her replacements time to practice for finals (Jade in AA and now Skinner in vault and dos Santos in bars).  There's no reason to believe she won't do the same for beam and floor, and she's more than earned the right to try to work through this if she can. 

I'm rooting for Jade and Rebecca to split the floor (I do think Simone will pull out of beam and floor) and vault golds.

• Love 5
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Daisy said:

well most people say it takes weeks to fully get over from twisties. I don't really know if like the 4-5 days is gonna make a difference, but i guess we'll seee

The odds may be low that she is fully recovered in time but I don’t see how it makes any difference if she waits to make a decision. She has shown that she’s not going to take the spot unless she is ready and she is not waiting to the last minute. 

Edited by Guest
45 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Simone says she's being evaluated on a day to day basis. That said, she also divulged that when she's had the twisties in the past, it took about two weeks to resolve. 

I'd just drop the beam and floor and call it a career. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Simone says she's being evaluated on a day to day basis. That said, she also divulged that when she's had the twisties in the past, it took about two weeks to resolve. 

I'd just drop the beam and floor and call it a career. 

Yeah. I mean that's what I would do, but i'm just the girl eating salty sweet popcorn and playing legend of zelda right now, not an Olympian so *shrug*

• LOL 6

Currently watching the Men's Trampoline qualifications Routine 1 and I've caught myself counting to myself 1 2 3 4 to keep track of how close we are to the end of a routine. Apparently 10 tricks in Round 1 is the only rule I know apart from 'try to land on the cross and not the edge'.

• Love 1

So I was watching MyKayla's vlogs and it seems as if the gymnasts are staying in a hotel apart from the rest of the Olympians. I understand why they made this choice, but it seems that without their parents and support systems, I could see how it'd be even more isolating and increase anxiety.

It seems as if after practice they just go to their hotel rooms by themselves and are all alone. Why did anyone think this was a good idea?

Here's the video:

• Love 1

I've been thinking about the athletes a lot lately. Simone, those that have trained forever and then can't compete because of a positive covid test, etc. Imagine being a gymnast from years ago before they knew what twisties were, just that it was maybe at best some sort of spatial disorientation, or at worst, all in the gymnast's head! The shame and confusion that some of them must have felt breaks my heart. 😓

And at least now we have a better understanding of mental health as well.     Sort of. 😥

• Love 6

Congrats to NZ who just won their first Olympic gymnastic medal in the Men's Trampoline. If an Aussie can't medal, I'm happy for it to be a Kiwi.

And I want more Trampoline events. It is so thrilling and unpredictable.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Do they have synchro? It looked like there was another trampoline there.

No it's just the individual event for men and women. Apparently during warm up the athlete can choose which trampoline they want to use. Guess it's one of the things that makes ense if you are in the sport but as an external observer you wonder why there are two when one will do. The fact the contest has two means it wouldn't be that hard to add synchro.

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

So I was watching MyKayla's vlogs and it seems as if the gymnasts are staying in a hotel apart from the rest of the Olympians. I understand why they made this choice, but it seems that without their parents and support systems, I could see how it'd be even more isolating and increase anxiety.

It seems as if after practice they just go to their hotel rooms by themselves and are all alone. Why did anyone think this was a good idea?

Here's the video:

I guess it could be a good idea for some who like the downtime but I sincerely doubt Simone is one of those people. If she could have been having fun with friends it would take some of the stress off guaranteed. But sitting alone in your room for hours on end with nothing but social media to scroll through could be very very bad. I’m sure the Kara Eaker situation didn’t help either.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Here's the video:

This has actually been the case for many top-flight competitors over the years, the lack of family and friends back at the hotel being the only difference.  I doubt anyone from USA basketball is staying in the village, either.  They never did in the past.  Top figure skaters from the US don't stay in the dorms and haven't for many years.  Many times, these elite competitors will go to the village and pose in a room for a photo op for the fans back home and then go back to their hotel.  I remember when Wayne Gretzky played hockey for Canada and it was a big deal because he was the only member of the team who actually stayed in the athlete dorms; he was a big Olympics geek and didn't want to miss the experience.

As it is, due to COVID, the Olympic Village is very different and isolating this year anyway,  The communal cafeteria is restricted to a limited number who must sit at least 6 feet apart and leave as soon as they finish eating, athletes are encouraged to take their boxed meals back to their rooms to consume.  No visitors are allowed in, only athletes and coaches.  No group spaces like lounges are open to discourage people gathering in groups.  In years past, the lounges had pool tables, video games, big screen TV's etc and there were people hanging out all hours of the day and night.

Here's a link to the lengthy booklet on COVID rules given to all competitors.  The stuff on the village starts around page 35 or so.

https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/Documents/Olympic-Games/Tokyo-2020/Playbooks/The-Playbook-Athletes-and-Officials-V3.pdf?_ga=2.245635202.703977941.1626198525-1869423040.1621021245

Edited by Rootbeer
Punctuation matters
  • Useful 6