Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E03: Come Hell or High Water!

• Start Topic

The chefs are challenged to replicate the very first challenge in HELL'S KITCHEN history - breaking down squid perfectly for Chef Ramsay. Later, it's "Chicken Gate" when Gordon discovers the Blue Team has served up raw chicken during Dinner Service.

Airdate: 6/14/2021

On 6/12/2021 at 6:36 PM, jewel21 said:

Later, it's "Chicken Gate" when Gordon discovers the Blue Team has served up raw chicken during Dinner Service.

This will not be pretty. Food will be flying.

I think Jay was eliminated to previous performance. Antonio continues to be irritating, him calling GR baby was so moronic. The foot stuff at the beginning was very random. Steve refusing to use the punishment pass was a great idea.

• Love 2
(edited)

Antonio is the worst !  Delusional, manipulative, gaslighting, a liar..... 

What did Gordon say?  "Great teamwork...... NOT!!!!!!"   hahahha.  And "I sent him to a new station.  The train station."   

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
(edited)

It always bothers me on competition shows when there is a question/argument about who did what.  It happened on camera so it shouldn't be that hard to discover the truth behind "Chickengate".  If I was GR, I'd use that "time out" to check the video and then eliminate anyone who failed to step forward and/or threw an innocent under the bus.  I'm also annoyed that the editors chose not to replay the video so the audience could see who told Peyton Alex that the chicken was cooked and/or took it to the pass without checking.  The technology exists, lol...they used it on Antonio when he decided he did not nominate himself.

Edited by leocadia
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, xcrayon2215x said:

I think Jay was eliminated to previous performance. Antonio continues to be irritating, him calling GR baby was so moronic. The foot stuff at the beginning was very random. Steve refusing to use the punishment pass was a great idea.

Alex should've gone home for the raw chicken and all the excuses, but Jay bit the bullet instead.

• Love 5

I don't get it.  Alex was the one who undercooked the chicken.  But he gets to say that "someone else"  TOLD him that the chicken was OK.  Then he has three tries to name the "someone else,"  and keeps changing the story.  Alex should have gone home, he was the one responsible.  

The sooner Antonio goes home, the better.  He annoys me.  And it looks like he annoys Ramsey too. 

• Love 15
19 minutes ago, mertensia said:

Are there **any** competent men this season?

The dude with dreads, I think his name is Steven, seems like he knows what he's doing. He won the punishment pass, so far he hasn't seemingly been called out for any mistakes. And although it's not necessarily indicative of anything, his talking heads seem level-headed. Not the self-congratulatory, delusional and/or star-struck sort of stuff that a lot of people say. I predict he will go deep. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

Well, so far two eliminations have made zero sense and someone else should have gone home.  At least last week the one that should have gone home did eventually go home in the same episode.  This time two people that should have gone home didn't - Alex and Antonio.  Now I am fully aware that sometimes Gordon's eliminations don't feel at least somewhat justified but we're two for two now.  At least the show should do more to make it look justified.

Meh.  It was Jay’s time, because eventually the editors would run out of talking heads where Jay claimed that he was great at whatever it is they were doing, and then completely failed.

Antonio can bounce next (which will tickle me to pieces because a red woman would go to blue, and they will fight to the death to *not* do that).

Morgana is sneaky not a favorite.  I can sort of give her a pass on going ew about Marino because he is old enough to be her dad, but the mime was clearly saying whatever she was trying to hand over was not his.  She is trying too hard in her cheffessionals to be above it all.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Meh.  It was Jay’s time, because eventually the editors would run out of talking heads where Jay claimed that he was great at whatever it is they were doing, and then completely failed.

Raw chicken is universally the kiss of death on any cooking competition.  The fact that Gordon went out of his way to blame it on someone else tells me he was trying to justify sending someone else home when Alex was the one that really deserved to go - and he knew it.

• Love 6

It seems like we have not been treated to a full-on "IT'S RAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWRRRRRRR!" scream from Gordon for a bit in both this and last season. I don't know if he is retiring it or saving it for a more special occasion, bored with it or what. Come to think of it, he has not called someone a "donkey" or a "donut" in recent memory either.

I actually dozed off while watching (all to do with me and not this episode) so I expected Alex would have been kicked out because chicken sushi is not a thing. 

That elimination made no sense. Jay seemed kind of dopey and hapless, but Alex brought up raw chicken then lied to Gordon at least twice about who told him it was done. Alex and Antonio are the worst kind of people to work with because they lie about everything and when you confront them with it, they'll lie and deny saying the thing they said 30 seconds earlier and act all injured that anyone would question their sincerity. You have to get rid of those people because they will backstab you every single time, and other people will let them because it's easier to let them get away with their BS than to get involved in an infuriating conversation with them.

9 hours ago, candall said:

I couldn't watch.  Did they really catch and slice up all those live squid straight out of the tank?

There were a couple of live ones swimming around, but there were a bunch of dead ones lying on the bottom of the tank that everyone seemed to be grabbing. That challenge was so gross. I know the ocean isn't pristine and that vegetables grow in dirt yadda yadda, but it's just the idea of a bunch of half-washed cooks diving into the tank wearing their dirty shoes and probably some dirty underwear as well.

Aren't there two vegetarians on the Red team? I wonder what they ate at BLT Steak. It looked like everyone was served the same filet entree, so maybe they just ate the side dishes.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Wasn't Steve also the person who ate the punishment squid sandwich without barfing or complaining? That guy is one to to watch.

I opined to hubby last night that with editing showing the men's team to be so ridiculous, there must be a man who wins the whole thing.  Doesn't seem like anyone BUT Steven has ever been in a restaurant kitchen before.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
37 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I opined to hubby last night that with editing showing the men's team to be so ridiculous, there must be a man who wins the whole thing.  Doesn't seem like anyone BUT Steven has ever been in a restaurant kitchen before.

You could be right, a male winner is overdue, as females have won the last seven seasons. 

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3
(edited)

I swear the blue team is a bunch of babies. Their mouths are always moving but nothing good comes out. I so want to slap Antonio upside his head since he is the most annoying chef EVER!!! All the men (except Steven) stand there like a deer looking into the headlights. The red team seems to keep their act together during the services. Too bad Gordon can't just send the entire blue team home and let the ladies compete for the win.

Edited by nitrofishblue
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Gordo didn’t scream it’s RAW!!!

Curtis Stone isn’t aging well.

I'm wondering who that woman was with Curtis Stone.  Wasn't his wife.

• LOL 2

Most of the guys have a deer in the headlights look or they’re annoying as hell. Jay was the one who couldn’t match the garnishes with the proteins before the service, so I was okay that he went. Alex should go because he can’t cook. Antonio should go because he’s annoying, egotistical, and can’t cook. 

Steven looks like the only real contender on the men’s side. 

Not sure on the women’s in terms of who’s standing out. I know who’s starting to bug, but I’ll save for next week. 

27 minutes ago, nitrofishblue said:

I swear the blue team is a bunch of babies. Their mouths are always moving but nothing good comes out. I so want to slap Antonio upside his head since he is the most annoying chef EVER!!! All the men (except Steven) stand there like a deer looking into the headlights. The red team seems to keep their act together during the services. Too bad Gordon can't just send the entire blue team home and let the ladies compete for the win.

How Antonio escaped elimination is mind boggling.

• Love 4

There may be a couple of other men who end up doing well as they have not really been featured at this point (I don't know names...).  Overall, the women are doing really well for so early in the season.  Fast-forwarded the "reward" as driving around in the desert doesn't really seem like a reward to me, but a nice dinner afterwards would make up for the driving portion of the reward.

The one female vegan chef (told you I don't know names...) seems a little too enamored of the male celebrity chefs.

• Love 2

Usually, neither team manages to complete the entire dinner service in the early weeks. Again, my memory is not necessarily global here, but I'm leaning toward this Red Team being one of the few, and perhaps the only, team to have successfully completed their first couple straight out of the gate.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Chyromaniac said:

I think it says something that Steve chose not to use his penalty pass...

It says he fully expects them to lose again.

Keep f%#king that chicken Blue Team.

To be fair, there is a lot of season left, and so even with the inevitable shuffling, it's pretty likely that any given player is going to be on the losing end of a challenge before too long. You probably don't want to burn the punishment pass on the first one, especially if the punishment doesn't sound so brutal (dealing with 50 lbs of seafood). Also, I could see people being lukewarm to an offroading reward. Without the "eat something disgusting that will make you throw up for giggles" component that he couldn't necessarily anticipate would be part of this one, I could see him saying "I am going to save it for a truly heinous punishment or a truly awesome reward."

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

"eat something disgusting that will make you throw up for giggles"

This ↑ is just plain dumb & childish. Why it's part of the show makes no sense at all. If TPTB think it's comedic they are dead wrong.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/15/2021 at 9:27 AM, cameron said:

How Antonio escaped elimination is mind boggling.

Sadly I feel he's in it for the long haul just to supply drama. Considering that the videotape already revealed he's a total liar I'm sure he will do more things that cause confrontations and team friction. He's also the oldest looking 23 year old I've ever seen. (As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm calling BS on many of the stated ages of the contestants. Morgana is another one who's 30 if she's a day.)

Maybe it's because a lot of the chefs are really older that this seems like a fairly typical Hell's Kitchen season. In a sense, that's a relief. I was expecting it to be like America's Got Talent or American Idol, where the 16 year old contestants talk about how they've wanted this their entire life. 

Agreed with others that so far Steve seems head and shoulders above the other guys. I believe a woman has won Hell's Kitchen the last 7 seasons in a row. Since he seems like an early, obvious favorite I guess that means he probably won't win.

Edited by bluepiano
On 6/15/2021 at 7:40 PM, Chyromaniac said:

I think it says something that Steve chose not to use his penalty pass...

It says he fully expects them to lose again.

Keep f%#king that chicken Blue Team.

I dread the thought of red team members being sent over to the blue team against their will.  It caused some friction last season.  I wouldn't wish that on any of the women this season...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I dread the thought of red team members being sent over to the blue team against their will.  It caused some friction last season.  I wouldn't wish that on any of the women this season...

To be fair . . . the woman sent to the men's team last season THOUGHT she was God's gift to the culinary world.  She was wrong.  She would have had friction if she stayed on the women's team.  Nature of the beast.

This year, it appears that ANY woman sent to the men's team WOULD be a gift to them.  The entire men's team appears to be useless, except Steve.

• Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

To be fair . . . the woman sent to the men's team last season THOUGHT she was God's gift to the culinary world.  She was wrong.  She would have had friction if she stayed on the women's team.  Nature of the beast.

This year, it appears that ANY woman sent to the men's team WOULD be a gift to them.  The entire men's team appears to be useless, except Steve.

That's not what I remember.  Amber loved being on the red team and hated being sent to the blue team, in fact she griped about it nonstop in her talking heads.  Plus there was already friction on the blue team before she even got there because of Marc.  I saw no reason to think she would have had the same friction on the red team had she stayed.  It's only after being sent to the blue team that she acted like she was a superior chef, which given some of the dead wood on that team was in my opinion understandable.  Plus she came in 5th in the entire competition so she was no slouch.  In the end she caved to pressure and second guessing herself or she might have lasted longer.  She wasn't my favorite contestant by far but I have to give her some credit.  I just hope nothing like that happens to the women this season after being sent to the blue team.  I like them so far and would hate to see them suffer the same or a similar fate.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 1