Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Redefine

• Start Topic

Sophie goes through with her music school audition but quickly realises she is struggling to move forward; Rome and Regina grow closer to Tyrell; Katherine and Eddie are at a crossroads; Gary reconnects with his father.

Promo:

Original air date: 4/21/21

• Love 2

When Katherine was outside watching her son pet the cat, she looked at some object...what was it?

I thought the doctor warned Maggie not fly due to being high risk from cancer history.  Sophie isn’t high risk, plus she didn’t ask for an opinion. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

When Katherine was outside watching her son pet the cat, she looked at some object...what was it?

I thought the doctor warned Maggie not fly due to being high risk from cancer history.  Sophie isn’t high risk, plus she didn’t ask for an opinion. 

Yes, Maggie's issue was that she was high risk from the cancer. She technically still could have flown, she just chose to listen to her doctor.

I am sure Sophie didn't want to tell people what happened, but I bet if she told the music school people they were raving about a sexual predator, they would have let her reschedule the audition. How old is Sophie anyway? I thought she was a junior. Wasn't the class she originally applied for with the music teacher a summer program to get ready for the audition she'd have her senior year? It seems to be spring in this show's timeline, which is usually when kids are getting their acceptances/rejections from schools and deciding where to go. That's pretty late to be auditioning.

Tyrell's situation is so sad. Especially that he didn't even get to say goodbye to her in person.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Wouldn’t a non-citizen of Haiti need a passport?  Even though his mother is a citizen, there would still be a process of paperwork.  Maybe, his mother told him that.  

That was my first thought too - at best it would take weeks to get a passport, especially since he doesn't have an urgent need for one.

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Wait, so Maggie can't fly to England but Sophie can fly to France?

Lots of countries have different rules due to COVID.  Britain has halted the entry of non-citizens altogether at least twice, and the amount of quarantine varies from country to country. 

What was on Regina's head?  It looked like her normal hair but with a big mushroom on top.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Do you mean at the end of the episode? She was looking at the basket and cookie sheet she and her friend had used to catch the cat and take it back outside. Probably nice memories for her if not for the poor cat. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Rome getting in his dad's face about Florence being his girlfriend was so unnecessary. First of all, calm the fuck down. You met a woman at the cemetery who said she knew your dad and you jumped to the conclusion that she's his girlfriend? Secondly, if she IS his girlfriend then maybe try being happy that he's found someone who provides him companionship instead of being so aggro about it. Thank goodness he finally realized the error of his ways.

The only reason I'm not fully behind Katherine and Alan is because I don't want her feeling guilty about it so I wish she had dumped Eddie's ass first. She has had to deal with being the main breadwinner for a decade (you can't tell me that giving guitar lessons was bringing in a significant amount of income) on top of his addiction, his affair, his new baby with their friend's wife, and lots of lying. She deserves some happiness so I hope she finds it with Alan. Eddie might love Katherine but he has been a shitty husband since we met him in the first episode.

I was so glad that the show had Maggie explicitly tell Gary that what happened to Sophie is not about him. Sure, you're allowed to have feelings about it but how is your guilt or anger helping Sophie heal? Answer: IT'S NOT so STFU and listen to Maggie and Sophie.

Theo blaming Katherine for everything is not unusual, but he was still being a brat so I liked that she diffused the situation by being honest with him and telling him that she knew he needed someone to be mad at. If he finds out about Alan, he's going to be REALLY mad at her!

Tyrell generally seems to get along with Gina but when he played the "oh, you're whipped" card with Rome, I was like OH NO YOU DID NOT! I know he was desperate to get to Haiti but dude. Gina has been nothing but kind to you so don't be a jerk.

My parents let me get a kitten when I was in sixth grade. We brought it home and found out that I was allergic. I was sad but they made the right decision. I guess as long as Scott stays outside, it won't be too bad (keep the cat dander out of the house at all costs!) but Theo already has a rash on his arm so I hope the cat eventually wanders off.

Gary has consistently been shown as good with kids throughout the series but it's been nice to see him change from fun uncle Gary to taking his responsibility to Sophie and Danny so seriously.

I noticed that Gary referred to Danny as Dan two or three times in this episode. Are they trying to make Danny seem more grown up?

Gary mentioned all that Sophie's been through in the last two and a half years so I guess that's how long it's been since Jon died. That means Charlie is about to turn two but I swear the last time we saw her she looked like she was still less than a year old.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.

Was it just the UK that was closed at that point? Didn't Jamie get a flight just under the wire?

So they're not even going to take Scott to check for a microchip and see if he might belong to someone? Also, please don't feed the cat ravioli. (Or crackers or whatever Theo was giving him on the porch.) And really? An 11-year-old named a stray cat after the bar where his parents met?

Theo whining that Katherine didn't hug Eddie enough was...ugh, shut up. They can't seem to decide how old this kid is. Sometimes he's too wise for his age and then he swings to being too immature to be able to think, hey, dad's in rehab because he's been abusing drugs...gee, maybe mom is mad at him.

Also Rome jumping to "dad moved on already" because he made a new friend and getting mad about it. Grow up.

Nice ad for Target Curbside Pickup.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

Meanwhile, on the worlds longest and most dramatic Target commercial...

Have I mentioned how much I don't like this whole story with Eddie and Katherine yet? Because I really don't like it, its stupid, its depressing, its derivative, and its a huge waste of what could have been an interesting story. Eddie dealing with a serious injury should have tons of drama attached to it, but now all of that is basically ignored just so we can re-do Eddie and Katherine almost breaking up when she found out about the affair but now with extra pill popping drama. Its dull and annoying and makes so much of their previous story feel like a big waste of time. It almost makes me miss the days of his vague flashbacks to his friend dying in a beach house, at least it didn't make me dislike Eddie so much again after spending so much time on character growth. 

Guys, its a cat, not a rabies infested racoon, just put some fish out. If Theo is allergic they shouldn't keep the cat...but he is a VERY cute little fluff, and their story is so depressing and frustrating I could use something cute to pay attention to. Also, would they place decide on whether Theo is five or eleven? Sometimes its like he's two and sometimes he's super profound, naming his cat after the place his parents met because he really wants them to be on track. 

Rome was being such a whinner about his dad, how dare he talk to a women now that his wife is dead? He's the one who's always wanting his dad to loosen up but when he does Rome doesn't like how he's doing it! I am glad he realized that he was being a jerk pretty quickly at least. Its so sad that Tyrone is separated from his mom, but also his plan to run off to be with his mom was flawed to say the least. Even ignoring the logistics, like traveling during the pandemic and whether or not he has a passport to travel abroad and move their permanently, what was the long term plan? I guess he was just freaking out so much he didn't think, and Tyrone hasn't exactly been known to make the smartest choices when he sets his mind to something, like stealing someone's food and delivering it to try and get a job, which in a normal world would get him thrown out angrily at best, so its in character at least. I like him with Regina and Rome, this really seems like what they should have been doing in the first place anyway, Rome realized that this was what he wanted about he connected with that depressed teen awhile ago and that's what made him want kids, so it makes more sense for them to want to help a teen instead of adopt a baby. 

Gary being good with the kids has always been one of his most likable traits, and even when he messed up with Sophie he really did seem to think that this was the best thing for her. It clearly wasn't, and he did need to actually start listening to Sophie and what she needs instead of trying to make himself feel better about his anger and guilt, but he was certainly trying. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Theo whining that Katherine didn't hug Eddie enough was...ugh, shut up. They can't seem to decide how old this kid is. Sometimes he's too wise for his age and then he swings to being too immature to be able to think, hey, dad's in rehab because he's been abusing drugs...gee, maybe mom is mad at him.

Did anyone connect the dots for wittle Theo that his dad flying into a rage, destroying the neighbor’s car’s taillights, was drug-use related? That upset and ticked off Theo, but he’s not allowing his mom to be angry?

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Also, please don't feed the cat ravioli. (Or crackers or whatever Theo was giving him on the porch.)

He was trying to tempt Scott with a saltine! 

• Love 2

Wow, Eddie is really having a good time at rehab huh, it's like he is vacationing there. playing cards, chit-chat, making fun of others. He has no problem at all in coping with his withdrawal & detoxification process.

So... another character has been shipped off. Will we be seeing Delilah, Sophie & Darcy again this season?

This show loves bratty kids!!! Tyrell should be grateful that he has a place to stay, foods to eat, clothes to wear, free wi-fi to use & a pro-bono lawyer to assist on his mother's case. Dude, be nice to Rome & Gina, they don't have to take you in but they do. Really not on board with the Howards adopting Tyrell, I want them to have a baby girl, we don't see much of Charlie.

I don't understand why the showrunner & the writers love Theo so much that he got to be in almost every episodes, it's suffocating! Theo dear, your parents' love story is not that iconic (Scott? Really?), you need to wake up & realize that your dad is a parasite and a liar, without your mom, you'd be homeless or probably staying with Uncle Gary.

All I wanna say to Tyrell & Theo after watching this episode is...

giphy.gif

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Was it just the UK that was closed at that point? Didn't Jamie get a flight just under the wire?

I think that was his flight out to the US.

Jamie probably could have gotten back to the UK at any point since he is a citizen. Most of the closures were about not allowing foreigners in.

• Useful 1

5 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Wow, Eddie is really having a good time at rehab huh, it's like he is vacationing there. playing cards, chit-chat, making fun of others. He has no problem at all in coping with his withdrawal & detoxification process.

Have to agree with this about Eddie, it is sort of ridiculous and not realistic.  I hope Katherine has a hot affair and falls in love with Alan(?), maybe she will have a love child of her own.  Theo as usual continues to annoy.  What kid his age (by the way what is his age) is that involved in his parents relationship that he remembers the name of the club or whatever where they met.  Kid is weird.  I see Darcey is back next episode.  I would have sworn she and Gary would be done once she returned.  With Sophie gone and Darcey back, how are they going to squeeze Maggie back in?  I like Tyrell and hope they make it work out for him with Rome and Regina.  I still think they will hear from the young lady whose baby they were going to adopt.  

• Love 6
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Rome getting in his dad's face about Florence being his girlfriend was so unnecessary. First of all, calm the fuck down. You met a woman at the cemetery who said she knew your dad and you jumped to the conclusion that she's his girlfriend? Secondly, if she IS his girlfriend then maybe try being happy that he's found someone who provides him companionship instead of being so aggro about it. Thank goodness he finally realized the error of his ways.

The only reason I'm not fully behind Katherine and Alan is because I don't want her feeling guilty about it so I wish she had dumped Eddie's ass first. She has had to deal with being the main breadwinner for a decade (you can't tell me that giving guitar lessons was bringing in a significant amount of income) on top of his addiction, his affair, his new baby with their friend's wife, and lots of lying. She deserves some happiness so I hope she finds it with Alan. Eddie might love Katherine but he has been a shitty husband since we met him in the first episode.

I understand for Rome it would be hard to see his Dad move on but his approach was all wrong. His Dad didn't even establish it as a relationship yet. For us they might be dating but for him and Florence they are in the friend stage. 

What does Rome expect his Dad to do? Just stay home alone? His Mom has been dead a year or close to it correct? He's also older and some widows don't wait too long mourning because they don't want to be alone. 

There was a man at my Mom's church who lost his wife and a year later he was engaged to another woman from the church which caught everyone including his adult kids by surprise. Rome reaction to his Dad and Florence was an overreaction.

I agree. I don't want Katherine feeling guilt either. I rather she divorce first. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LucyEth said:

Have to agree with this about Eddie, it is sort of ridiculous and not realistic.  I hope Katherine has a hot affair and falls in love with Alan(?), maybe she will have a love child of her own.  Theo as usual continues to annoy.  What kid his age (by the way what is his age) is that involved in his parents relationship that he remembers the name of the club or whatever where they met.  Kid is weird. 

He's 11 (going on fifty, going on five, depending on the day). I'm 45 and I know my parents met at a bowling outing arranged through their workplace. I don't know what the bowling alley was called. (My dad thought she was someone's little sister at first.)

17 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

What does Rome expect his Dad to do? Just stay home alone? His Mom has been dead a year or close to it correct? He's also older and some widows don't wait too long mourning because they don't want to be alone. 

There was a man at my Mom's church who lost his wife and a year later he was engaged to another woman from the church which caught everyone including his adult kids by surprise. Rome reaction to his Dad and Florence was an overreaction.

I've read that men tend to remarry more quickly than women after losing their spouse. We have a family friend who started seeing someone fairly soon after his wife passed away and they married within a couple years. (She was sick for a long time, though, so I think he also had a lot of time to come to terms with things before she passed.) His new wife reminds me a lot of his former wife; she's just missing a Scottish accent.

• Love 3

Count me as another who thinks Eddie's rehab storyline is actually not done very well. First off, we're not seeing him go through the steps to get better. We've seen him in only one therapy session. The rest of the time, he's buddying up with Jackie, who isn't even his therapist. She is also telling him how to act and how to feel and it feels like Eddie is just parroting what she says, rather than actively learning from it. And yeah, he's allowed to see family just because his kid is acting out? He hasn't even been in rehab a week. No way would they give him special privileges just because his ten year old kid is throwing a fit. 

Theo is annoying as hell. The show needs to decide whether Theo is a five year old or a ten year old because it feels like two different writers in Theo's scenes who think that the kid they're writing for is two different ages. 

The show had a good thing going with Eddie's accident and recovery. Then they threw everything else into the storyline and it feels like a yucky soup that's made of ten very different ingredients that would taste better separate than together. 

The cat storyline is also weird. Alan and Katherine acting like the cat is some sort of raccoon or spider or something, rather than...I dunno, PICKING THE CAT UP. Obviously the cat isn't feral with how he acts around Theo. So it's clear that picking the cat up would work JUST FINE. What a stupid way to continue the Katherine/Alan almost affair storyline (I say almost because it's definitely veering into at least an emotional affair storyline, but not QUITE there yet).

Maggie's role the last few episodes have been significantly better than anything from last season or the first few episodes of this season. Her telling Gary to start listening instead of being this White Knight was great. It's been a critique of mine about Gary since season 1, where he doesn't listen to people and tries to fix them because he feels an obligation. I'm glad someone finally called that out, especially after Gary pointedly told Maggie that she should basically be thankful to be alive because of HIM. I mean, yeah, sure, maybe, but it was just such a cold way of seeing Maggie's recovery.

I am glad Sophie is going over to be with Delilah, though laughable that she's able to fly out to her mother but her mother can't come home to her. And I believe that it's not even about Delilah's father's injury, since I think Delilah said this episode that she just couldn't get a flight back?

The Rome story with his father was frustrating. Him throwing a fit about his father meeting another woman was ridiculous. Sure, he eventually came around, but the fact that, at his age, he even HAD that reaction, as if he didn't know any better? I get that he was acting emotionally, but goddamn.

The Tyrell storyline is alright. I was a bit bored by it this episode. It was very predictable.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

The cat storyline is also weird. Alan and Katherine acting like the cat is some sort of raccoon or spider or something, rather than...I dunno, PICKING THE CAT UP. Obviously the cat isn't feral with how he acts around Theo. So it's clear that picking the cat up would work JUST FINE.

I have a different take - keep the cat, pick up Theo and throw him out. The kid is insufferable! In the car he seemed to have understood what Katherine was saying, basically telling him to stfu, but then he turns into this baby, saying he will talk to the cat or something. Toddler stuff.

Tyrell's mom is deported to Haiti and if they are going to make things resembling real life, they will probably have her killed. Haiti has been in turmoil for a long time and some places are very dangerous. The president is a dictator, supported by the US, and should have passed on power but refuses to leave, while the people do want him out. There is unrest every single day.

I hope they are not getting rid of Sophie. The actress is having great moments, it would be a shame to waste the character. By the way, we know that it has been 2 1/2 years since Jon died, so Charlie is definitely not an infant. She is around two but she just disappeared. Eddie doesn't even pretend to miss his daughter? 

Jackie is very arrogant. Barging in during a family meeting is just awful, no matter how awkward the meeting is, no matter if Eddie needs someone to take Theo away for a minute. It is not up to her to decide when and how. 

Picking up on the title of the episode, I am Defining some characters

Rome: man child

Eddie: man child

Gary: man child with a god complex and no impulse control

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

Not impressed with Rome and his father. First, his father is allowed to have friends. And what if she was his girlfriend? It's OK. I'm glad Rome came around in the end.

I love Gina and Rome fostering Tyrell. I feel for teenagers who need foster parents. If I was able to afford something bigger, I wouldn't mind being a foster parent for a teenager who needs a place. 

Theo.... look, I agree that a deep dish pizza is just a casserole, and give me thin crust every time. But who names a pet out of the place his parents met? But I get that he needs someone to be angry at, he doesn't feel like he can be angry at his father, so he's angry at his mother. I do get it. I just wish it was... I don't know? Written better? I don't want to beat up a child actor for not being able quite handle the material given to him, but, yeah.

I agree with you guys that Eddie's rehab is also kind of... what's the word I'm looking for? Dull? Uninvolving? I still freakin' love David Giuntoli and he's still acting the heck out of this storyline, but the writing isn't supporting him. And, yeah, apparently rehab is like a vacation. Who knew? Why isn't he interacting with any other person but Jackie? Where are the counselors? The therapists? The other patients? And how quickly do you detox from drugs?

And, no, Katherine, I wouldn't blame you for having an affair with Alan. I noticed that Eddie's "honest" explanation about why he had an affair with Delilah also was putting Katherine down and ultimately blaming Katherine. "I had an affair because you no longer saw me as I wanted to be seen but as a screw up." (OK, obviously paraphrasing). So, yeah. She needs someone who will also see her in a good light. Even though we will probably have to bear more of Theo having meltdowns.

Finally, I really do love professional Maggie and spelling things out to Gary. 

Oh, one more thing--I hope Sophie isn't gone for good.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

I noticed that Eddie's "honest" explanation about why he had an affair with Delilah also was putting Katherine down and ultimately blaming Katherine. "I had an affair because you no longer saw me as I wanted to be seen but as a the screw up that I am."

Fixed that for you!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Best line of the episode was when Jackie called Alan "Mr. Deep Dish"!

Delilah siting!  Still don't miss her.  I wonder why the show is shipping Sophie off though, and why not Danny too?

Katherine should find out who the cat belongs to first before doing anything.  Scott the Cat is probably the neighbor's whose car  Eddie wrecked.

Maggie has become a better character since the Sophie crisis.  I like her when she's in therapist mode instead of seeming to be in need of her own therapist.

So now it's going to be Rome, Gina and Tyrell.  I don't care much about the storyline but at least it keeps us away from the adopting a baby SL.

• Love 3

Unpopular opinion coming up, but I'm much more sympathetic about Eddie's situation than others. He's in a wheelchair, robbed of his mobility and independence, and is losing his family. This is not small stuff. As for Katherine's woes -- women have been the sole breadwinners supporting their families for decades; this is not new at all, and it was pretty much what she signed up for. I'm sympathetic to her becasue her life's been tossed upside down by things beyond her control, but that tends to happen to all of us, doesn't it? She needs to work out her feelings about all of it, for sure, but Alan is not the way to do that. I may just be off on my own on this, but here I am, lol. 

42 minutes ago, Lastwaltz said:

As for Katherine's woes -- women have been the sole breadwinners supporting their families for decades; this is not new at all

I'm not saying it's a new phenomenon. But that doesn't make it any less stressful. She flat out told Gary a few episodes how much pressure she was under to pay for the mortgage, her office above the restaurant, Eddie's rehab, and the damage to the neighbor's car on top of dealing with Theo's distance learning. She is the responsible one while Eddie has been giving guitar lessons, fucking their friend's wife, and taking drugs. I'm surprised Katherine hasn't cracked yet.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Lastwaltz said:

He's in a wheelchair, robbed of his mobility and independence,

Many times no. This is a trope. A wheelchair gives people mobility, it gives them independence. They just need to know how to use it. That's one reason why disabled people reject the term "confined to a wheelchair". They are not confined, they are fee to move around on their own. Be sympathetic, but not because he "lost" his mobility. It sucks to have an unexpected event changing everything, but his so called "loss" does not have to be permanent, he can live without the use of his legs, like millions of others do, and he still has his independent mind.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Lastwaltz said:

As for Katherine's woes -- women have been the sole breadwinners supporting their families for decades; this is not new at all, and it was pretty much what she signed up for

I mean, she definitely didn't sign up for Eddie to be in a wheelchair and her needing to pay off those expenses with his hospital bills and now with his rehab because he developed a drug addiction on top of his alcohol addiction. When they first got together, Eddie was making good money with his band. Maybe not stellar, lawyer-type money, but enough to help pay things off. And then he became a guitar teacher, which isn't paying off the mortgage that fast, and also started cheating on his wife for months. Eddie may be going through a lot physically and mentally, but Katherine is also going through a lot emotionally and mentally and has been since she found out Eddie was cheating on her. Eddie's pain does not diminish Katherine's pain. 

And, to point out, Eddie's losing his family because of Eddie. He's not losing his family just because he developed a drug addiction. Katherine's anger at Eddie stems from him cheating, from him having a kid with another woman, from his alcohol addiction years ago that made him miss the birth of his first born, from all the lies he told over the years of their marriage. These issues aren't centered around what's happening this season. This is years and years of build-up. Obviously Katherine shouldn't be turning to an emotional affair to deal, but her doing this is sympathetic because we can see why she is. It's a huge mistake and she absolutely shouldn't be cheating with Alan, but she's had to deal with a lot, now with Theo blaming her for everything and letting his father get off the hook for his actions. 

I think you can be sympathetic for Eddie's injury now but also be sympathetic to all the shit that Katherine has had to deal with. Personally, I just think they're tossing too much at Eddie/Katherine too quickly.

• Love 14

Can we talk about Gary busting his car window by punching it?  Jeez, Gary!  Get some long-overdue anger management therapy and control yourself!  WTF?  And get to an ER because I'm pretty sure you would have broken your hand doing that.

• Love 11

I think Katherine and Eddie should call it quits, and I don't think anyone should be blaming the other for their actions - we are all responsible for ourselves in the end. That said, the Katherine that was depicted in the pilot/first episode. I would have left her, too.

What happened to Eddie's pain? Was it all addict-induced and is just magically gone now?

Also, I would still rather have Gary as a friend than anyone else on this show, with the possible exception of Regina.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Katherine's anger at Eddie stems from him cheating, from him having a kid with another woman, from his alcohol addiction years ago that made him miss the birth of his first born, from all the lies he told over the years of their marriage.

I would add:  the fact that they were in the process of rebuilding their marriage, to do things based on trust, and that Eddie didn't ask for help when he should have known that she would be there for him, as long as he was honest.

35 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

What happened to Eddie's pain? Was it all addict-induced and is just magically gone now?

Yeah, they could have shown how pain management for addicts is possible and how it would work for Eddie. Instead, we get "banter" from mouthy Jackie

• Love 9

I like the actor playing Theo, he’s a little cutie pie, but man is the character ever written to be annoying as hell! Since when does he get to dictate to Katherine that she has to hug Eddie and then later criticize her because he thinks the hug didn’t last long enough?!

Given how this show goes for maximum melodrama, when Katherine and Alan were kissing by the front door I thought for sure Theo would come downstairs, see them, and have a major meltdown.

The show seems to love it when people try to dictate how their parents should behave. First Theo, then Rome. He hasn’t lost his wife and doesn’t really know how that would feel, so it was real easy for him to talk. I’m glad he got over himself.

Hey, Katherine, how about you dump Eddie and Theo and keep Alan and Scott? (Kidding, but hey, I’m a cat person.)

• Love 6
17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I wonder why the show is shipping Sophie off though, and why not Danny too?

If Danny left then Gary has no reason to stay at Delilah's house.  And then Maggie wouldn't be able to stay at Gary's place.  

I hope Sophie comes back and I hope her mother stays in France.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, izabella said:

Can we talk about Gary busting his car window by punching it?  Jeez, Gary!  Get some long-overdue anger management therapy and control yourself!  WTF?  And get to an ER because I'm pretty sure you would have broken your hand doing that.

I don't think Gary broke his hand but the cuts from the glass, even if it's safety glass, would need to be tended to.  And I also wondered WTF!  Gary needs therapy to work on his savior complex and feeling like a failure when he can't save everyone.  Gary needs to know that he didn't cause Bad Peter/Guitar Teacher to become a predator and it's not his fault Sophie was targeted because Gary had informed him how vulnerable she is.  Gary was right to accompany Sophie to the first audition and it's too bad Sophie went off on her own to the subsequent one on sneak of everyone; Gary being there would've prevent Pervert Peter from his antics.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

If Danny left then Gary has no reason to stay at Delilah's house.  And then Maggie wouldn't be able to stay at Gary's place.  

I hope Sophie comes back and I hope her mother stays in France.  

True, but Delilah only allows Sophie to visit her in France because she's having a crisis.  Delilah doesn't want to include her son in the happy family reunion too, which annoys me.

I'm hoping Sophie comes back and Delilah stays in France.  In fact, I think Katherine should divorce Eddie, file for joint custody of Theo, run away with Alan and Scott the Cat, and leave Eddie with Theo (after joint custody becomes sole custody because of logistics) and moves to France and marries or at least lives with Delilah, Charlie and Theo.

• Love 2

Yeah, but that would include having Delilah back in the show, and I'm fine with the brief "I'm still alive!" video chats from her.

As far as Katherine goes, if this were real life, she would be seen as the villain in her and Eddie's marriage. Especially her wanting to find love with another man. After all, her husband is in a wheelchair and is in rehab for an addiction to pain killers. 

But this is A Million Little Things' universe, and the show is trying to make us go "Boo, Katherine!" But, no, as much as I really do understand what Eddie's going through, I have a lot of sympathy for Katherine. 

As far as being the breadwinner, she always has been the breadwinner. I doubt that Eddie was rolling in the dough, even with being the front man of a middling rock band. Sure, he wrote a song that was a minor hit, but that probably didn't make him rich. He mentored a rising pop artist. Probably not making a ton of money through that either. So, the only stable income Eddie really had was from guitar lessons. Katherine was a lawyer at a major law firm in Boston. 

Also, yeah, "confined to a wheelchair" is definitely looking at this from a negative point of view. No doubt that's what Eddie's feeling like. And it's an adjustment--even without the addiction, Eddie's life has definitely changed. But, he can still do things and play his guitars and write songs.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

Also, yeah, "confined to a wheelchair" is definitely looking at this from a negative point of view. No doubt that's what Eddie's feeling like. And it's an adjustment--even without the addiction, Eddie's life has definitely changed. But, he can still do things and play his guitars and write songs

And that's the story I wish they were telling instead of recycling the Eddie is an Addict plot.  How Eddie and his family work through his new normal, including getting a house without stairs for crying out loud.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

And that's the story I wish they were telling instead of recycling the Eddie is an Addict plot.  

Me, too.  That would be infinitely more interesting and meaningful.

Eddie could probably develop a good career producing for other singers and bands, plus writing and selling songs and music.  He has to first give up his rock start fantasy, and accept his real life as a father to two children, and a husband (for now).  But he has a long way to go from where he is mentally in order to do that. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

And that's the story I wish they were telling instead of recycling the Eddie is an Addict plot.  How Eddie and his family work through his new normal, including getting a house without stairs for crying out loud.  

Me too And it would actually be an uplifting and inspirational storyline about overcoming adversity. 

But, of course overcoming adversity doesn't fit into a melodrama very easily.

Edited by historylover820
Edited to add
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, historylover820 said:

Sure, he wrote a song that was a minor hit, but that probably didn't make him rich.

It definitely depends on the details of his record contract, but the About a Boy scenario is a real thing. A friend of a friend cowrote a song that hit the top 40 charts in the late 90s. Thanks to his songwriting credit, he made a decent amount of money from the record sales (to be clear, he did not record this song himself). In addition, he mentioned an exact number once which I've long since forgotten but he gets paid something like 6 cents every time the song gets played for more than X number of seconds on a tv show. Thanks to that song, he was able to quit his day job and be a full time self supporting musician. Since Eddie wrote the song himself (meaning he didn't have to split the writing credits with someone else), performed the song with his band, and released it on an album, he got a much bigger cut of the profits from that song than my friend's friend did.

If I recall correctly, he was producing the songs on that girl's album. If he had been able to see that project through to the end, he could have potentially made a decent amount of income from her record sales as well (producers get a cut of each single/album sold).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 4/21/2021 at 11:01 PM, ams1001 said:

Wait, so Maggie can't fly to England but Sophie can fly to France?

Sorry, can't muster much sympathy for Eddie.

Yeah, we were told that Jamie got the last flight but now, sometime later, Sophie is on her way.  Hope this doesn't mean Delilah will be coming back for more than a virtual hello.  I don't miss her.

1 hour ago, cinsays said:

Yeah, we were told that Jamie got the last flight but now, sometime later, Sophie is on her way. 

No one said that Jamie got the last flight out. He and Maggie were both planning to fly back to England until her doctor recommended that she not fly. Flights were still available at that time. After the doctor's appointment, they went back to Gary's apartment and then he went on a walk with the nurse that afternoon which prompted Maggie to bring up the status of their relationship. Jamie then made that weird declaration about how he couldn't stay because she needs to do her own thing and then booked a flight back the same day. In their conversation about his flight, there was no mention of him getting the last flight to the UK. All that was said about his flight:

Jamie: Who knew booking a same-day flight could be so easy? They've even upgraded me to first class because I said "schedule" like I do.
Maggie: Wow. All it took was a global pandemic to bring out the best in people.
Jamie: Yeah, right? 2020 - the year of toilet paper hoarding and first-class upgrades.

• Love 1
On 4/22/2021 at 7:54 AM, ams1001 said:

Nice ad for Target Curbside Pickup.

They’re just like us!  Was my exact thought bubble in that moment.  Next week will focus on Cartwheel and Red Card. 😂

• LOL 3
42 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

No one said that Jamie got the last flight out. He and Maggie were both planning to fly back to England until her doctor recommended that she not fly. Flights were still available at that time. After the doctor's appointment, they went back to Gary's apartment and then he went on a walk with the nurse that afternoon which prompted Maggie to bring up the status of their relationship. Jamie then made that weird declaration about how he couldn't stay because she needs to do her own thing and then booked a flight back the same day. In their conversation about his flight, there was no mention of him getting the last flight to the UK. All that was said about his flight:

Jamie: Who knew booking a same-day flight could be so easy? They've even upgraded me to first class because I said "schedule" like I do.
Maggie: Wow. All it took was a global pandemic to bring out the best in people.
Jamie: Yeah, right? 2020 - the year of toilet paper hoarding and first-class upgrades.

well, that was what i remembered hearing and i found this -

But when someone knocks on Maggie’s door, it’s … Jamie! “I got the last flight out,” he says.

maybe that was just the last flight for that night

not that it really matters, just didn't think i made it up

• Love 1

Good lort, Gary.  Hope it was worth it to punch out that window.  You gonna be finding glass bits for the rest of your time with that car (if you’ve ever had a window break on your vehicle you will know what I mean.  It’s like glitter.  It NEVER is completely gone).  Also, good luck driving home sitting on that.   Dumbass.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Good lort, Gary.  Hope it was worth it to punch out that window.  You gonna be finding glass bits for the rest of your time with that car (if you’ve ever had a window break on your vehicle you will know what I mean.  It’s like glitter.  It NEVER is completely gone).  Also, good luck driving home sitting on that.   Dumbass.

yup, totally stupid move, just when you think maybe he's listening to Maggie's advice about how he reacts