Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Redefine

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, cinsays said:

well, that was what i remembered hearing and i found this -

But when someone knocks on Maggie’s door, it’s … Jamie! “I got the last flight out,” he says.

maybe that was just the last flight for that night

not that it really matters, just didn't think i made it up

That's from an earlier episode when Maggie had an abortion. Jamie showed up at Gary's apartment and Maggie said, "What are you doing here?" and Jamie says, "I got the last flight out."

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

That's from an earlier episode when Maggie had an abortion. Jamie showed up at Gary's apartment and Maggie said, "What are you doing here?" and Jamie says, "I got the last flight out."

ok, i stand corrected  😳

• Love 1
On 4/23/2021 at 11:06 AM, circumvent said:

Many times no. This is a trope. A wheelchair gives people mobility, it gives them independence. They just need to know how to use it. That's one reason why disabled people reject the term "confined to a wheelchair". They are not confined, they are fee to move around on their own. Be sympathetic, but not because he "lost" his mobility. It sucks to have an unexpected event changing everything, but his so called "loss" does not have to be permanent, he can live without the use of his legs, like millions of others do, and he still has his independent mind.

We all suspend disbelief when watching these shows. And watch for escapism...however, since this show brings in the REAL issues such as Covid (which btw I could do without since we live this 24/7...365 days a year) a little more realism would have been beneficial when it came to Eddie's spinal cord injury. Like right from the get go. He would have never gone right from the hospital to home. He would have spent time at a rehab facility first, where they would have done extensive physical and occupational therapy with him to prepare him for what his life would be without the use of his legs and possibly other bodily functions. The show was vague on how severe his injury was, but most lower spinal cord injuries affect more than just the legs.

I'm not saying he still couldn't have gotten addicted to the pain killers, but the show seems to pride itself on keeping it REAL yet glosses over things that are glaring. 

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, zengirl1215 said:

We all suspend disbelief when watching these shows. And watch for escapism...however, since this show brings in the REAL issues such as Covid (which btw I could do without since we live this 24/7...365 days a year) a little more realism would have been beneficial when it came to Eddie's spinal cord injury. Like right from the get go. He would have never gone right from the hospital to home. He would have spent time at a rehab facility first, where they would have done extensive physical and occupational therapy with him to prepare him for what his life would be without the use of his legs and possibly other bodily functions. The show was vague on how severe his injury was, but most lower spinal cord injuries affect more than just the legs.

I agree with that, and want to add that this is exactly one evidence of how TV shows engage in disabilities tropes all the time - mostly because they don't even think about having a disabled consultant, or even reading what so many disabled people write for free.

• Love 5
On 4/23/2021 at 11:23 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I mean, she definitely didn't sign up for Eddie to be in a wheelchair and her needing to pay off those expenses with his hospital bills and now with his rehab because he developed a drug addiction on top of his alcohol addiction. When they first got together, Eddie was making good money with his band. Maybe not stellar, lawyer-type money, but enough to help pay things off. And then he became a guitar teacher, which isn't paying off the mortgage that fast, and also started cheating on his wife for months. Eddie may be going through a lot physically and mentally, but Katherine is also going through a lot emotionally and mentally and has been since she found out Eddie was cheating on her. Eddie's pain does not diminish Katherine's pain. 

And, to point out, Eddie's losing his family because of Eddie. He's not losing his family just because he developed a drug addiction. Katherine's anger at Eddie stems from him cheating, from him having a kid with another woman, from his alcohol addiction years ago that made him miss the birth of his first born, from all the lies he told over the years of their marriage. These issues aren't centered around what's happening this season. This is years and years of build-up. Obviously Katherine shouldn't be turning to an emotional affair to deal, but her doing this is sympathetic because we can see why she is. It's a huge mistake and she absolutely shouldn't be cheating with Alan, but she's had to deal with a lot, now with Theo blaming her for everything and letting his father get off the hook for his actions. 

I think you can be sympathetic for Eddie's injury now but also be sympathetic to all the shit that Katherine has had to deal with. Personally, I just think they're tossing too much at Eddie/Katherine too quickly.

The only people who "make good money" from being in a band are famous. She's smart enough to know that marrying a musician is taking the risk that you'll be supporting your family. I supported my family as the main breadwinner and yes, it sucked sometimes. It's a lot of pressure to be that person and know that your performance at work makes the difference between paying the mortgage and getting evicted. It's also a great source of pride. And I believe I said I was sympathetic to Katherine's woes -- because shit happens to people all the time. Having an affair with Alan will only make her feel more guilty about Eddie and Theo. 

Adding on 4/27: I get it mods, won't happen again. 

Edited by Lastwaltz
more to say
  • Love 2

No one is saying what Eddie is going through is easy. He's suffering. It's not fair. But when did anyone say life was fair? It is a major adjustment to his life that I'm glad I don't have to deal with in my life.

I keep thinking--

Christopher Reeve became a quadriplegic after being thrown from a horse and spent nearly the last 15 years of his life not being able to even breathe by himself. And this guy played Superman!

And he didn't sit around (no pun intended) feeling sorry for himself. Granted, he admitted in interviews that when he woke in the hospital and found out the extent of his injuries, he asked Dana, his wife, to just take him off the respirator and let him die. But he figured out a purpose to his life. He became the leading crusader for spinal injuries.

I had a family friend break his neck the same place Christopher Reeve broke his--in fact, later that same year. I think the Christopher Reeve Foundation helped my friend to do something he loved to do--hunt. My friend did die from complications to his injuries several years later. And he never got out of his wheelchair or was able to breathe on his own. Never was able to hold his grandchildren--all were born after his injury. But, my friend was grateful for his life.

And Christopher Reeve kind of became not just the actor who played Superman but BECAME Superman. After his bout of depression in the hospital, he seemed to refuse to let his injury keep him down. He was--and still is--an inspiration.

Eddie just has lost the use of his legs. It's sad and an adjustment--and adjusting to this new reality does take time (no one is saying otherwise). But he's got use of his arms, he can breathe on his own. He can still absolutely live life, if he is willing to adjust. He can still hug Theo, he can still play guitar, he can still sing and write.

Sunday, I had CBS Sunday Morning on, and they were interviewing a singer who was known for being one of the best backing vocals in the industry--Merry Someone (I can't remember her last name). You can hear her on "Hit the Road, Jack" and many, many other songs. In 2013, she won an Oscar for Best Documentary about background vocalists, she released a solo album, she won a Grammy. So finally getting the recognition that was due her.

Then, she got into a car wreck. When she woke up in the hospital, the doctors told her that they had to amputate both legs below the knee in order to save her life. Apparently, her only question was if this affected her voice any. When told that it wouldn't, she said that she would be just fine.

She's in a wheelchair as well. The reporter asked her if she has any days where she's just angry and bitter. She said that she really doesn't. She can still sing. She's releasing a second album.

• Love 4