Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, ChlcGirl said:

I remember thinking the exact same thing when I did my rewatch.  In fact I said to myself "What is up with this bullshit ..?"

I didn't notice it previously because I didn't pick up it was supposed to be Francine & Straub's. When I assumed it was Christopher's place it was believable (though not his style) but for F&S it was totally wrong!

This has typically been a fluffy background show for me. Even though I've seen all the episodes multiple times over the years I haven't always picked up the details. Which is for the best! This is a show that doesn't benefit from close scrutiny... 

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ChlcGirl said:

I remember thinking the exact same thing when I did my rewatch.  In fact I said to myself "What is up with this bullshit ..?"

Also agreed. The way the Haydens were talked about and depicted and they live in this? In this kind of neighborhood? Bullshit!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, snarktini said:

This has typically been a fluffy background show for me. Even though I've seen all the episodes multiple times over the years I haven't always picked up the details. Which is for the best! This is a show that doesn't benefit from close scrutiny... 

Agreed! I try to not get too critical about things because most inconsistencies are done for plot reasons. I like my girlie family show, with all it's weird plotholes and changes. 

• Love 3

Forgot to add, the layout and size of Lorelai's house drives me crazy. I try not to think about it because every time I do, it makes no sense. I bring it up only because it was actually something to do with a storyline (where was G.G. going to sleep in season 7). 

Here's something I thought of recently that's been bugging me:

In Fall, when Rory goes to visit Christopher at his office, he says something about having given in and working for the 'family business'

But... wasn't Straub a lawyer?

In 'Dear Richard and Emily', when Richard proposes that Christopher come work for him, Straub says something along the lines of 'why would he work for you? I have a law firm'...

I highly, highly doubt that Christopher has gone to law school in the interim between season 7 and the present. Not to mention that his grandfather's passing in season 6 was supposed to have left him independently wealthy enough to buy a castle..I guess maybe he could still have wanted to work even though he didn't need to, but that doesn't feel very in character to me.

This would be more forgivable ( I guess) if these were S7 facts, but all of this was written during the ASP years.

• Love 6

I didn't have a problem with Rory not knowing Paris would be her roommate. My university didn't send out any roommate information in advance. I knew I'd have one, but that was it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bumblebee Tights said:

Here's something I thought of recently that's been bugging me:

In Fall, when Rory goes to visit Christopher at his office, he says something about having given in and working for the 'family business'

But... wasn't Straub a lawyer?

In 'Dear Richard and Emily', when Richard proposes that Christopher come work for him, Straub says something along the lines of 'why would he work for you? I have a law firm'...

I highly, highly doubt that Christopher has gone to law school in the interim between season 7 and the present. Not to mention that his grandfather's passing in season 6 was supposed to have left him independently wealthy enough to buy a castle..I guess maybe he could still have wanted to work even though he didn't need to, but that doesn't feel very in character to me.

This would be more forgivable ( I guess) if these were S7 facts, but all of this was written during the ASP years.

A lot of families with a lot of wealth have a family office just to manage the wealth.  Deciding on charitable endeavors, being on charitable boards, etc.  I thought maybe that was the family business?  I guess I didn't think too much about it though.

This is the nittiest of picks (or the pickiest of nits?), but in S7 when Luke and Anna meet at the courthouse for their custody hearing, Anna lists Luke's unfatherly attributes, and notes that he "bailed on Lorelai", but the way she pronounces it sounds like Laura Lie, with a definite syllabic break, and it drives me nuts every time I hear it. 

• Love 2
On 12/27/2016 at 3:35 PM, deaja said:

A lot of families with a lot of wealth have a family office just to manage the wealth.  Deciding on charitable endeavors, being on charitable boards, etc.  I thought maybe that was the family business?  I guess I didn't think too much about it though.

On 12/27/2016 at 4:42 PM, ghoulina said:

He could also work at the firm without being a lawyer. 

19 hours ago, hippielamb said:

That's what I thought too. If you look closely in his office, you can see legal scales. I assumed he took over the family firm. 

Ah, yeah ok, fair enough. It just seemed like one of those things where no thought was put in to keeping things consistent. Legal scales definitely contradict that though!

On 12/27/2016 at 8:54 PM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

This is the nittiest of picks (or the pickiest of nits?), but in S7 when Luke and Anna meet at the courthouse for their custody hearing, Anna lists Luke's unfatherly attributes, and notes that he "bailed on Lorelai", but the way she pronounces it sounds like Laura Lie, with a definite syllabic break, and it drives me nuts every time I hear it. 

I think you've just won the pickiest of nits grand prize. :)

Continuing on the family business nitpicks, if Christopher runs the business, or at least holds the financial strings, he should be able to command any type of coffee he wants, whether he sends someone to fetch it for him or if he just tells someone which coffee should be kept in the office. 

Instead, he makes a big deal out of going three blocks for Starbucks (yuck) and complaining about the quality of the office quality.

Heck, he had enough money to put his own Starbucks in the office.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, junienmomo said:

Continuing on the family business nitpicks, if Christopher runs the business, or at least holds the financial strings, he should be able to command any type of coffee he wants, whether he sends someone to fetch it for him or if he just tells someone which coffee should be kept in the office. 

Instead, he makes a big deal out of going three blocks for Starbucks (yuck) and complaining about the quality of the office quality.

Completely agree, I completely believe that Chris could have been sole owner and CFO of his father's firm. Many believe that lawyers or senior partners run all the main operations of a firm big or small. Sadly, movies and TV get that wrong, last one that got it right was Boston Legal a few years ago. Showing their daily financial person, but that is besides the point. You make good points, Chris could get his own Starbucks in the office or have a mini kiosk that several firms, companies and even health care providers have. Doesn't have to be big and they pay a coffee lead a usual $12 an hour fee. Have them open a half an hour before business starts and close by 5. They would only make about 10K a year, but that be nothing compared to having Hayden money. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Chris needs Logan's coffee cart guy from Yale to work at his office. I thought it was just put in to be the office complaint about the coffee shtick. I know plenty of cubicle worker bees who love to complain about the coffee at their job. 

• Love 1

I was only a sporadic watcher when the show first aired, but I got into it on Netflix recently due to media coverage of the reboot. My biggest nitpick - and forgive me if this has been discussed already - is Lorelai's finances. It was already a stretch that she could own a house in CT on one lower-middle-class salary, but then she and Rory ate out or ordered takeout for every single meal, and somehow there was still enough left over to start the Dragonfly Inn with Sookie? There was one episode where Lorelai clipped coupons and ate homemade sandwiches because the renovations were getting more expensive than she had planned, but otherwise, no sign of hardship. (I'm not counting the inability to pay for Chilton or Yale as "hardship".)

My second biggest nitpick was the Anna never telling Luke about April situation. It would have been understandable if Anna had lived far away, or if Luke had a "dark" past, or if Anna had another man in her life who she wanted April to think was her father. But the whole time she was living one or two towns over, and as far as we know Luke was always a stand-up guy, respected member of the community, business owner, etc, and April apparently never had another father figure. In a real life scenario, Anna would have told Luke, just so she could collect child support if for nothing else.

• Love 5

Revival nitpick: Lorelai asks for other relatives and friends of Luke's to invite to the wedding, but they come up with no one other than Cousin Billy, which Luke says he doesn't have. 

While I love the Kiefer Sutherland bit, and oddly enough, I've begun watching Kiefer Sutherland movies simply because he's Luke's friend, Luke has plenty of relatives per Dead Uncles. He reserved nine rooms. When they started calling in their regrets, he listed a passel of them and reasons why they couldn't come. Even though it's nine plus years later, it's not like they're all dead, because some of them discussed kids. 

Lorelai should have known better, even if ASP didn't. 

• Love 5

My AYITL nitpick is the septic/sewer debate. In Star Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers, Rory teases Dean by saying that Stars Hollow celebrated with a carnival when the town went off the septic system. She soon assures him that in fact all they had a ribbon-cutting ceremony. So the town went off the septic system in the 1990s (?), but went back to it in the 2010s (?) in order that Taylor convince them all over again that they needed sewers. That's just too stupid even for Stars Hollow, or a serious lack of continuity.

That came up very early in AYITL and I'm afraid I couldn't take the revival seriously after that. As in, believe it was a real story taking place in the GG universe rather than just a collection of GG-inspired sketches and gags.

(Long time lurker, I signed up just so I could get that off my chest: it actually bugs me more than anything else, which is weird I know).   

• Love 13
13 hours ago, Pam Poovey said:

(Long time lurker, I signed up just so I could get that off my chest: it actually bugs me more than anything else, which is weird I know).   

Oh yeah, there are plenty of nitpicks that inspire people to take action. I'm in that group, too. Hadn't caught the septic tank, though. Good catch.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Pam Poovey said:

Don't worry; that's not weird at all. I'm the GG fan on these forums who can't get over Rory's birthday being completely inaccurate (it should NOT be at the beginning of October, damnit!) as well as Luke and Lorelai's wedding year. It's sometimes the smallest details that can bug a person. 

• Love 2

Oh yes, in Season 1 Rory's birthday is a huge bugbear of mine. You can work it out by following the action of the series with a calendar next to you (which all normal people do, obviously!), and her birthday is actually October 27. The show itself acknowledges it in later seasons as her birthday is celebrated while people are putting up their Halloween decorations. I figure the props people stuffed up - the script itself never gives a date in Rory's Birthday Parties. They probably thought nobody would notice or care, how wrong they were! 

Thanks for the greetings and reassurances! :)

4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Don't worry; that's not weird at all. I'm the GG fan on these forums who can't get over Rory's birthday being completely inaccurate (it should NOT be at the beginning of October, damnit!) as well as Luke and Lorelai's wedding year. It's sometimes the smallest details that can bug a person. 

Can I ask why? I thought they said it was in October. Although it's strange there was no mention of her birthday in the Fall episode of the revival. It apparently took place after the girls fight in the cemetery and before they reconciled and Rory's wild night with Logan and friends. That bugged me a bit but there are real continuity errors in the revival so I don't dwell on it. 

3 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Can I ask why? I thought they said it was in October. Although it's strange there was no mention of her birthday in the Fall episode of the revival. It apparently took place after the girls fight in the cemetery and before they reconciled and Rory's wild night with Logan and friends. That bugged me a bit but there are real continuity errors in the revival so I don't dwell on it. 

The funny thing is that they never said her actual birthday on the show. The only reason why October 8th is canonically her birthday is because there's one shot in the season 1 episode Rory's Birthday Parties which had Emily and Richard's invitation that they sent to the kids at Chilton, and on it has her birthday as October 8th. But when Tristan is reading the invitation, he never actually says October 8th:

TRISTIN: I just wanted to say 'happy birthday.'
RORY: It's not my birthday.
TRISTIN: No, but it will be. (reading from a paper) 'On Friday at 4:03 in the morning, Lorelai Leigh --'
RORY: What is that?
(Rory takes the paper. It's an invitation to her birthday party, from Emily and Richard.)

However, it contradicts what we know even from the first season. We know Rory got accepted into Chilton at least a few weeks into school, as she's well into writing tests and handing in assignments. Even if Rory started school in August, there's other little details that are part of it. We know it's fall in the pilot episode because there's a scene where Lane and Rory are walking through town and there's a teen hayride event, so it's probably at least mid September. But Rory's Birthday Parties is several weeks after the pilot. Also, Rory and Dean started going out the day after Rory's birthday and then suddenly, in the episode Star Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers, it's Dean/Rory's three month anniversary. If they started going out October 9th, their anniversary would be January 9th. Yet the Christmas episode is episode 10 and their three month anniversary falls during the 16th episode. That's six episodes to be tightly woven into less than three weeks for their timeline. 

Also...I just looked up October 8th, 2000 and October 8th was a Sunday, not a Friday. 

What I could accept is that Rory's birthday is the very end of October or right in the first couple of weeks in November. That fits the canon timeline much better. Again, there are so many more things to dwell on in terms of mistakes or errors, but it's MY nitpick that I can't get over! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Well Rory's already 32 so that's more the nitpick I have. As for as her birthday, Rory was probably finding out she was for sure pregnant around her birthday if it's in Late October. Lorelai's wild trip happened right after summer. It all flowed together. As did Rory's Summer "break up" with Logan and then the LDB soon after. The Wild and LDB were shown back and forth. And Rory hadn't started writing the book yet. So I think that was all in Late September and Lorelai got back the first few days of October. And then October was busy busy busy. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

However, it contradicts what we know even from the first season.

Correct, Lady Calypso. Rory and Dean first hold hands on the day after Rory's 16th birthday, and have their first kiss during the Autumn Festival in (early to mid?) November. Although Dean has incredible patience and self-control it makes much more sense that he would wait around 1-2 weeks between holding hands and trying for a first kiss rather than the 4-5 weeks needed if her birthday was October 8.   

This reminds me of two more birthday nitpicks from the early seasons. In the Pilot, Lorelai says that Rory is 16, but her 16th birthday isn't until the next month. And you could say she meant "16 this year", except that Lorelai's trying to scare a man off from trying to pick her up, so you'd think she would avoid making her daughter sound even slightly older than her real age.

In Let the Games Begin, Rory and Jess have just become a couple and Lorelai says that Rory is 17 and due to have "a Jess". Except that the next episode is Thanksgiving and Rory and Jess are still in the very early stages of their relationship, suggesting that it is around early to mid November, and Rory has already had her 18th birthday.  

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

What I could accept is that Rory's birthday is the very end of October or right in the first couple of weeks in November. That fits the canon timeline much better. Again, there are so many more things to dwell on in terms of mistakes or errors, but it's MY nitpick that I can't get over! 

Thank you for explaining. 

This kind of reminds me of Frasier, they changed birthdays for plot purposes on more than one occasion. It's basic continuity to remember when your main characters birthdays are but I guess some writers don't mind futzing with the dates. 

18 hours ago, tarotx said:

Well Rory's already 32 so that's more the nitpick I have. As for as her birthday, Rory was probably finding out she was for sure pregnant around her birthday if it's in Late October. Lorelai's wild trip happened right after summer. It all flowed together. As did Rory's Summer "break up" with Logan and then the LDB soon after. The Wild and LDB were shown back and forth. And Rory hadn't started writing the book yet. So I think that was all in Late September and Lorelai got back the first few days of October. And then October was busy busy busy. 

Ok. I thought when Lorelai got back it was late October since the wedding was done so quickly. She said something like it's in two weeks. The feel of the LDB scenes make it appear Halloween time. Admittedly, I don't dwell on time inconsistencies but you think her birthday would have been mentioned by either Logan and crew or her mother. It stuck out to me. 

13 hours ago, Pam Poovey said:

This reminds me of two more birthday nitpicks from the early seasons. In the Pilot, Lorelai says that Rory is 16, but her 16th birthday isn't until the next month. And you could say she meant "16 this year", except that Lorelai's trying to scare a man off from trying to pick her up, so you'd think she would avoid making her daughter sound even slightly older than her real age.

In Let the Games Begin, Rory and Jess have just become a couple and Lorelai says that Rory is 17 and due to have "a Jess". Except that the next episode is Thanksgiving and Rory and Jess are still in the very early stages of their relationship, suggesting that it is around early to mid November, and Rory has already had her 18th birthday.  

I can handwave it in the pilot and early episodes that everything hadn't gelled yet in the storytelling. But it is noticeable. I can't think of a time when a parent would say their child is older than they are. Especially when a guy is hitting on your underage daughter. Same in the revival. Rory says she is 32 in the hotel room when she's freaking out. Now, either she's 31 and overstating her age (said no woman ever) or she already had her birthday, whenever it is now supposed to be.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

Rory says she is 32 in the hotel room when she's freaking out. Now, either she's 31 and overstating her age (said no woman ever) or she already had her birthday, whenever it is now supposed to be.

Yes I couldn't follow that at all. I know the story of the revival is meant to finish in early November 2016 (ASP even says they wanted the story wrapped up before the date of the US election), but Rory is already 32 in the spring/summer, and the date of the wedding fits with 2017 not 2016. It made me feel that it was set slightly in the future, or added to my sense it was in some alternative GG universe. 

Nearly all TV shows are very vague and inconsistent with dates and birthdays etc (especially comedies), but GG seemed to be trying to give itself a proper timeline where Rory's birthday was always in October, and Thanksgiving was followed by Christmas, and there were constant reminders of which season we were in, and everyone got a year older in each series. I think that's why it's so noticeable when things don't add up.

Edited by Pam Poovey
2 minutes ago, Pam Poovey said:

Yes I couldn't follow that at all. I know the story of the revival is meant to finish in early November 2016 (ASP even says they wanted the story wrapped up before the date of the US election), but Rory is already 32 in the spring/summer, and the date of the wedding fits with 2017 not 2016. It made me feel that it was set slightly in the future, or added to my sense it was in some alternative GG universe. 

The more I think about it, the more it feels like an AU. 

• Love 3
On 1/3/2017 at 5:57 PM, hippielamb said:

Thank you for explaining. 

This kind of reminds me of Frasier, they changed birthdays for plot purposes on more than one occasion. It's basic continuity to remember when your main characters birthdays are but I guess some writers don't mind futzing with the dates. 

Ok. I thought when Lorelai got back it was late October since the wedding was done so quickly. She said something like it's in two weeks. The feel of the LDB scenes make it appear Halloween time. Admittedly, I don't dwell on time inconsistencies but you think her birthday would have been mentioned by either Logan and crew or her mother. It stuck out to me. 

I can handwave it in the pilot and early episodes that everything hadn't gelled yet in the storytelling. But it is noticeable. I can't think of a time when a parent would say their child is older than they are. Especially when a guy is hitting on your underage daughter. Same in the revival. Rory says she is 32 in the hotel room when she's freaking out. Now, either she's 31 and overstating her age (said no woman ever) or she already had her birthday, whenever it is now supposed to be.

Lorelai left for Wild at the end of summer and she was supposed to hike for 3 weeks but she didn't hike at all. She did some shopping and spent 3 days packing, trying to camp, drinking, trying to camp again and then going for coffee, calling her mom and leaving the area. Then she flew back home.

The LDB Friday/Saturday might have seemed Holloweenish but it happened in the first part of the episode. At the same time Lorelai was doing Wild. Rory had not started her book yet. Lorelai comes back from Wild and says the Wedding is this month on a Sunday. Well, the wedding is November 5th so that Lorelai saying this month doesn't fit since that would be in 5 days at the most. And there is no way she was gone from the end of summer to November 1st. So Obviously the wedding was delayed a little bit. Maybe for the Fall festival Hotdog cart which was brought up. Lots of stuff happened in the episode. Rory went to the Gilmore's and wrote the first 3 chapters. Lorelai and Michel did interviews. Lorelai went to the Nuns house and then to Emily's to get a loan. She had wedding fittings and Sookie came back after making multiple cakes. Lorelai and Rory made up. Rory visited Christopher 3 days before the Wedding and of course the wedding. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 2

Rory having to leave Richard's funeral early is a major nitpick for me. What job was so crucial she has fly out of her grandfather's funeral? If she was a foreign correspondent on call to report stories around the world or a regular TV reporter who had to be on location it would make sense. But she's just a freelance writer, was she that in demand?

If she had a pre-set piece with a deadline due couldn't she have just emailed it through? You don't fly to the editor's office to hand the beautifully stapled work in person. Was it a pre-arranged reporting job where the newspaper was flying her to a certain location to report on it (is that even how freelancing work anyway??) and she didn't say "oh, could I please start the day after, because my beloved grandfather's funeral is that day?" Likewise if it was an interview or meeting, couldn't she have scheduled it on another day? Or was it an emergency, current events assignment she got news of the night before and had to get on the first plane out to report on?? But Rory didn't seem to be doing current events type stories, more long term features and profiles - so it's unlikely the assignment was some crucial world event she had to report on that very hour.

Idk, it was just another detail that made Rory look selfish. She and Richard were close enough that you think she'd prioritize staying for longer and looking after Emily over whatever vague assignment was floating in the background. I get that she was a freelancer, under pressure and having to take what offers she did get but it felt contrived. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Rory having to leave Richard's funeral early is a major nitpick for me. What job was so crucial she has fly out of her grandfather's funeral? If she was a foreign correspondent on call to report stories around the world or a regular TV reporter who had to be on location it would make sense. But she's just a freelance writer, was she that in demand?

If she had a pre-set piece with a deadline due couldn't she have just emailed it through? You don't fly to the editor's office to hand the beautifully stapled work in person. Was it a pre-arranged reporting job where the newspaper was flying her to a certain location to report on it (is that even how freelancing work anyway??) and she didn't say "oh, could I please start the day after, because my beloved grandfather's funeral is that day?" Likewise if it was an interview or meeting, couldn't she have scheduled it on another day? Or was it an emergency, current events assignment she got news of the night before and had to get on the first plane out to report on?? But Rory didn't seem to be doing current events type stories, more long term features and profiles - so it's unlikely the assignment was some crucial world event she had to report on that very hour.

Idk, it was just another detail that made Rory look selfish. She and Richard were close enough that you think she'd prioritize staying for longer and looking after Emily over whatever vague assignment was floating in the background. I get that she was a freelancer, under pressure and having to take what offers she did get but it felt contrived. 

I guess she could have already had a flight booked before Richard died, and decided not to pay to change the flight? It didn't seem like she was leaving super early, it looked like they had all been back at Emily's house for awhile after the funeral. It was one of those things that has no official end and people just stay until they see everyone else start to leave.

It still makes her look a little selfish though. But I can see Lorelai and even Emily telling her not to bother paying to change her flight just to stay an extra hour or two.

• Love 1

It's not just an extra hour or two though, is it. Grief is raw but somewhat distracted and protected before and during a funeral. It's the days afterwards when you need your family the most. Emily ideally need to have Lorelai and/or Rory around for the next few days at a minimum. But Rory was most likely prioritising crying in Logan's arms than being there for her grandmother who had just lost her partner of half a century and her whole sense of place in the world.

• Love 10

It's not just an extra hour or two though, is it. Grief is raw but somewhat distracted and protected before and during a funeral.

Absolutely.  I'm not sure if ASP was just ignoring life to make a point about how busy and important Rory the Writer was supposed to be or how much of a slut she was that she needed to jet off right away for a quickie with her engaged paramour.  Either way it was disgusting.

• Love 6

Is there any evidence that the funeral was right after Richard died? Lorelai said his death was sudden, the funeral/wake could have been done later to give Emily time to plan things. I don't have a problem with Rory leaving after the funeral. Unfortunately, the world and deadlines don't stop just because someone passes away. I have wondered when Logan and Rory started things up again, and if Richard's death was a factor. It's very vague.

23 hours ago, tarotx said:

When Rory was leaving the wake, she said she would call when she got to London. I don't know if that meant Logan but that's what I couldn't help think on rewatch. 

14 hours ago, AllyB said:

It's not just an extra hour or two though, is it. Grief is raw but somewhat distracted and protected before and during a funeral. It's the days afterwards when you need your family the most. Emily ideally need to have Lorelai and/or Rory around for the next few days at a minimum. But Rory was most likely prioritising crying in Logan's arms than being there for her grandmother who had just lost her partner of half a century and her whole sense of place in the world.

28 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

Is there any evidence that the funeral was right after Richard died? Lorelai said his death was sudden, the funeral/wake could have been done later to give Emily time to plan things. I don't have a problem with Rory leaving after the funeral. Unfortunately, the world and deadlines don't stop just because someone passes away. I have wondered when Logan and Rory started things up again, and if Richard's death was a factor. It's very vague.

Ugh, I hadn't even connected the dots that going to London might mean running to Logan rather than going for some job but that actually makes a lot of sense. Rory was grief-stricken and fled for comfort and distraction - too bad that explanation once again makes her look selfish.

If the writers actually put some thought in it, the flashbacks could have included Logan attending the funeral, he and an emotional Rory reconnecting then, Logan offering for her to stay with him in London for her work (maybe the upcoming Naomi interview/piece? Which would have been a month or so after the funeral?) and that's what sparked them sleeping together.  A super easy way to give context to when Logan & Rory started their affair - for bonus points, it wasn't that long ago - and it makes Rory look marginally more sympathetic because things started up when she was in a grief-stricken, vulnerable state, and went to him for security/nostalgia. 

(They could even link her actions to the fact that Logan epitomized her grandparent's/Yale world, that Richard liked Logan and how Logan was tied to a time when Rory was very close to her grandfather and he was so proud of her. It makes sense - in an unhealthy way - why Richard's death might prompt Rory to fall back with Logan when she sees him again. Did she feel that she hadn't lived up to Richard's hopes for her regarding her career and seeing Logan reminded her of something else Richard wanted for her?)

//That was a lot of rambling, but one of the many criticisms regarding Rory is she didn't seem impacted by Richard's death the way Emily and Lorelai were - and my original nitpick was part of that. Imo tying the affair to her grieving would have helped a bit.//

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

I haven't watched Winter a second time, but from what I remember, wasn't there a flashback sequences to that, starting with Richard being buried, followed by the memorial? I assume that even though his death was sudden, all of the plans were already prepared so all Emily had to do was set things in motion. The funeral, either way, would have had to be no longer than a week after his death. 

I do agree that it's understandable that Rory wouldn't be able to stay for a few days and at least she made it to the funeral and the wake afterwards. Unfortunately, now that we know the extent of Rory's time in London, all I can picture is Rory flying to London to have grief sex with Logan and less so about actually needing to get to work. Do we know what she was doing in London around the time of Richard's death? Was that the time she started to work on the autobiography, or was she doing other freelance work in London at the time? Or was she just going there as an excuse to spend time with Logan? It seems like she only started working on the autobiography recently, just before the revival started. 

And I guess we don't know when Rory and Logan started their affair, but from what I pieced together from the dialogue, it was long enough where they established rules and Rory knew about Odette and was ok with it. It seems like whenever she goes to London, she is with Logan, so I THINK we were supposed to put two and two together about Rory's trip to London after Richard's service and her going to be with Logan. 

• Love 4

Rory's talk of the town piece is on Naomi. Rory meets with her in winter right before we see her at Logan's. That seems to be the actual first meeting with Naomi. But Naomi mentions how she got a lot of attention because of Rory's piece. 

Rory specifically says she has to go back to London for work when we first see her. She was just on a 7-hour flight before that. I don't fly so I have no idea where she is coming from then.  Rory wasn't Home for Thanksgiving or Christmas though I don't think they say where she was during that time. Rory was surely working on her Atlantic piece that was bumped Some of that time. And she might have been with Paul.

Edited by tarotx
4 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Ugh, I hadn't even connected the dots that going to London might mean running to Logan rather than going for some job but that actually makes a lot of sense. Rory was grief-stricken and fled for comfort and distraction - too bad that explanation once again makes her look selfish.

Rory IS very selfish and the fact that her grandmother and mother may need her emotional support would not override her self centered tendencies.    

• Love 2

It's just occurred to me now that she missed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year in the months immediately following Richard's death and during Emily and Lorelai's fairly vicious estrangement. If my mother and grandmother had such a horrible falling out, immediately in the wake of a death of a loved one, I'd juggle everything else in my life to either help them mend their relationship or be there for each of them in what would be one of the very, very worst times in their lives. But Rory, couldn't even come home for Christmas! Whatever about Thanksgiving, because if she was actually working in the UK where nobody gives Thanksgiving anymore thought than a Facebook message to American friends before getting on with their Thursday. But at Christmas when a lot of the country is on a two week holiday and Rory is a freelance journalist of very middling success due mainly to lack of effort, she couldn't come home for a few days. The first Christmas after a bereavement is hell by itself. But Emily had only lost Richard about 10 weeks ago, had no relationship with her daughter due to a fall out around the same time, has no other family we have ever heard about and has no true friends. What exactly was Rory doing that took priority over being with the grandmother, who despite her flaws, has done so very much for Rory?

In all probability, shagging Logan because he wasn't spending Christmas with Odette that year. She is the worst.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, AllyB said:

It's just occurred to me now that she missed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year in the months immediately following Richard's death and during Emily and Lorelai's fairly vicious estrangement. If my mother and grandmother had such a horrible falling out, immediately in the wake of a death of a loved one, I'd juggle everything else in my life to either help them mend their relationship or be there for each of them in what would be one of the very, very worst times in their lives. But Rory, couldn't even come home for Christmas! 

Rory didn't know about the falling out though. Lorelai didn't tell her until after Rory saw Emily snap at her.

9 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Rory didn't know about the falling out though. Lorelai didn't tell her until after Rory saw Emily snap at her.

One of my nitpicks is from that scene it seems that Lorelai let 4 months go by after Richard's funeral without directly speaking to or seeing Emily in person to make sure she was okay.

Another one is how Lorelai referenced when she and Luke talked about kids at the Twickam House, when that conversation happened in Luke's apartment.

• Love 2

Something that really called a lot of DAR set ups that I still love Emily calling everyone out on in Fall. When they were going on about passing around the prenub or how they leave people guessing as a way of saying they didn't make it just were all kinds of wrong and illegal. First of all, a prenub can't just be handed out to whoever. There is a copy that is kept with the lawyer/firm that set it up and a copy for the parties involve. You can't just "ask" for it and then passing it around like a note in class. Another thing was there context of swearing and other things. I mean really? These people have never swore or called things out at times? Maybe not in the middle of an interview, but they were: "Emily... language." Followed by Annie Potts going: "If you say bullshit one more time." Something Gilmore Girls has constantly gotten wrong over the years is how the DAR functions and how high society acts. I mean, really you think these people don't swear. Call people on behavior when they have done it themselves, and don't immediately go: "We are not interviewing this person" instead of doing just for the sake of appearance? Health Care has a more straight interview process. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, tarotx said:

Rory's talk of the town piece is on Naomi. Rory meets with her in winter right before we see her at Logan's. That seems to be the actual first meeting with Naomi. But Naomi mentions how she got a lot of attention because of Rory's piece. 

Rory specifically says she has to go back to London for work when we first see her. She was just on a 7-hour flight before that. I don't fly so I have no idea where she is coming from then.  Rory wasn't Home for Thanksgiving or Christmas though I don't think they say where she was during that time. Rory was surely working on her Atlantic piece that was bumped Some of that time. And she might have been with Paul.

Yeah, it could be about the time she was writing the profile on Naomi that was in the New Yorker.

7 hours plane ride sounds like she was out of the country. Maybe somewhere in Europe. 

On 1/7/2017 at 8:31 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I do agree that it's understandable that Rory wouldn't be able to stay for a few days and at least she made it to the funeral and the wake afterwards. Unfortunately, now that we know the extent of Rory's time in London, all I can picture is Rory flying to London to have grief sex with Logan and less so about actually needing to get to work. Do we know what she was doing in London around the time of Richard's death? Was that the time she started to work on the autobiography, or was she doing other freelance work in London at the time? Or was she just going there as an excuse to spend time with Logan? It seems like she only started working on the autobiography recently, just before the revival started. 

And I guess we don't know when Rory and Logan started their affair, but from what I pieced together from the dialogue, it was long enough where they established rules and Rory knew about Odette and was ok with it. It seems like whenever she goes to London, she is with Logan, so I THINK we were supposed to put two and two together about Rory's trip to London after Richard's service and her going to be with Logan. 

I'm willing to give Rory the benefit of the doubt and that she really was working in London. I don't think Logan was the only reason for her to go back there. He mentioned in Winter seeing Rory in Barcelona, maybe that's when it started up again? There's no real timeline given so we don't know how long it has been going on. Their conversation about seeing another woman's things in the apartment makes it seem recent. Though that could be just added in to tell the audience of their arrangement.

I can believe Rory would get into a casual relationship with him while she is grieving for Richard. She did say in Winter that she was struggling, and had tried things to keep her calm. Only the tapdancing worked. It seems career related, but when Lorelai mentions her issues, Rory brings up Richard, so he must be a factor for her too. 

8 hours ago, readster said:

Something Gilmore Girls has constantly gotten wrong over the years is how the DAR functions and how high society acts. I mean, really you think these people don't swear. Call people on behavior when they have done it themselves, and don't immediately go: "We are not interviewing this person" instead of doing just for the sake of appearance? Health Care has a more straight interview process. 

Yeah. I know someone who is a member and she told me it's mostly charity work and researching genealogy. Quite different than it is portrayed here. 

I've known some well to do folks and most of them curse a blue streak because they just don't care. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Yeah, it could be about the time she was writing the profile on Naomi that was in the New Yorker.

7 hours plane ride sounds like she was out of the country. Maybe somewhere in Europe. 

I think it would have to be Europe. Flying from NYC to the west coast is 6 hours, so a seven hour flight can't be anywhere in the continental US, unless they are counting a layover. London to NYC is also only 5-6 hours.

Another small nitpick from Spring: would a back-to-Chilton event that wasn't a significant reunion really bring so many members of one class back to campus? Particularly given that Chilton graduates by their 30s would have a lot of career and family demands, might be living all across the country, and wouldn't all just happen to be nearby? I could see Rory and Paris planning to be there, but Francie's and Tristan's cameos made me roll my eyes. 

• Love 2

So a nitpick I have is...no therapist says hi to you outside of therapy unless you start the conversation with them first. And even if you are the one to initiate conversation, it would be guarded and short. It's just a privacy thing. Now, perhaps by that point the therapist had left that profession to become a actor/singer or whatever, but still. 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, JayInChicago said:

So a nitpick I have is...no therapist says hi to you outside of therapy unless you start the conversation with them first. And even if you are the one to initiate conversation, it would be guarded and short. It's just a privacy thing. Now, perhaps by that point the therapist had left that profession to become a actor/singer or whatever, but still. 

I forgot about that! I started ranting when it happened. This always happens in TV and movies (Silver Linings Playbook is another example) and it aggravates me so much.

As a kid, I remember being at the grocery store with my mom and we saw her psychologist. I was confused why it seemed like he was ignoring us until my mom explained it to me.

• Love 2
On January 7, 2017 at 6:18 AM, AllyB said:

Yeah, I didn't even want to go to my mother's funeral, because it meant that I had to come out of denial for a while. I was out of it during the whole thing, and then jumped at the burial, when I looked to my right, and saw a giant head stone. I was glad to have my dad and sister there, for a few *weeks* afterwards. 

Also: Rory leaving her mother alone with her grandmother, and alcohol.  Not good.  Although we wouldn't have then had the setup for the phone call, later on.  

• Love 4