Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I think her hair looked best season 1 until Lauren put in those awful extensions halfway through season 4. Then her hair just looked horribly over processed and dry. 

In the opening where she and Luke are going to Mailboxes, etc., the back of her head is shown and it's clearly thinned out from over processing. Almost bald. I feel for her at that. She had no real control over it. (This was on the DVD. Don't know if the streaming shows it.)

What's amusing is Lauren once said in an interview that the times she wore a smooth ponytail, one of my favorite looks, it was because they didn't have time for styling.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

I hadn't noticed that but I usually don't rewatch those episodes. I'll check it out the next time I do.

I'm not surprised how thin her hair had gotten. Between the many times her curls were straightened, then re-curled with an iron, and dyed various shades of brown/dark brown I get why her hair looked as bad as it did in season 4. When the extensions first went it it looked like Lauren's actual hair had been cut much shorter than she preferred so I have no doubt she was having significant issues. Her hair looked much better in season 5, both in color and style, so I don't know if they found a less damaging hair dye, more natural extensions/hair pieces, or just got her some really great wigs. 

• Useful 3

I didn't even know there were any issues with her hair 😄. I only remember the one time when she had to leave an appointment at hairdresser because she had too much work and Emily told her off for having apparently terrible hair. I thought it looked better that her usual (maybe because that was how my hair looks if I don't comb it while drying).

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I only remember the one time when she had to leave an appointment at hairdresser because she had too much work and Emily told her off for having apparently terrible hair.

She told Lorelai to get her hair done before lunch with Trix in a very sharp, critical way.

Then at lunch Trix said (with horror), "Emily, what's the matter with her hair ?!"
And Emily just said, "Oh." 
LOL !

Edited by SJC
  • LOL 2

Ok I just watched the episode with the Mailboxes Etc opening and saw the back of Lauren’s head. It doesn’t look like she’s got a bald spot but more like the extensions were poorly attached.

Anyway in the same episode Rory goes to get the paper she from Flemings class that turns out to get an A when she thought it sucked. She sits down to look at it and it’s two pieces of paper. The production people really dropped the ball on that one as that’s essay length rather than the length of a big paper for a big deal Yale professor like Fleming.

The show also dropped the ball in the next episode when Luke comes to tour the Dragonfly. Lorelai pretends Luke is her Special Friend to Shel the poultry supplier so he won’t go along with Sookie’s matchmaking attempt. He takes the hint and leaves the kitchen to find Sookie but before he’s actually left Lorelai drops the ruse and starts talking about not wanting to be set up with him and how she just broke up with Jason. How do I know he hasn’t left the kitchen? Because we actually hear him open and close the door and Lorelai is in the middle of her diatribe. Lazy on the part of the show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

With my caveat that a lot of that is genetics I will say that Alexis having naturally straight hair that was usually in basic styles (half up, ponytail, braid, or just down) meant she avoided the overprocessing that Lauren dealt with. Stylists in the entertainment industry seem to think that straight hair is easier to manage than wavy or curly hair* so I think Lauren’s curls were destined to be messed with no matter what. All of that removed whatever natural shine existed.

*I am proof it’s a lie as my stick straight hair falls out of every style no matter what.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

*I am proof it’s a lie as my stick straight hair falls out of every style no matter what.

LOL. I have very thick, somewhat textured hair. If I blow dry it, it's pretty straight. If I air dry it, it's quite wavy. I've never been able to wear it in a bun or anything like that, though, because it's SO thick the pins won't stay. When my oldest kids were toddlers I got in the habit of just braiding it to keep it out of the way and I still do that now even 20 years later.

I had a friend in high school that couldn't even keep a perm in her hair for more than a couple of weeks because she had that super thin, fine, straight hair. I on the other hand had poodle curls whenever I got a perm that were there until I cut them out, even years later.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

LOL. I have very thick, somewhat textured hair. If I blow dry it, it's pretty straight. If I air dry it, it's quite wavy. I've never been able to wear it in a bun or anything like that, though, because it's SO thick the pins won't stay. When my oldest kids were toddlers I got in the habit of just braiding it to keep it out of the way and I still do that now even 20 years later.

I had a friend in high school that couldn't even keep a perm in her hair for more than a couple of weeks because she had that super thin, fine, straight hair. I on the other hand had poodle curls whenever I got a perm that were there until I cut them out, even years later.

Same here. I found good results with spiral perms though. I wish they had just left Lauren's hair alone. I like the wild/wavy look.

• Love 6

Re: The Party’s Over: the girls have some appetizer skewers and are too full for dinner but can pound down four Thanksgiving dinners? 

Emily is unwatchable during this part of the season. And Rory looked ridiculous in the diamond tiara and necklace at her grandparents’s party. 

Edited by chitowngirl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Of course she did. That was the whole point.

The fact that she went ahead and wore it made me respect her a lot less. She was so spineless around R&E. I didn't like Dean at that point either. He should have dumped her already.

• Love 5

I dunno. Emily is a force to be reckoned with. Rory wasn't at a point where she felt she could stand up to her. Remember she couldn't tell Emily she didn't want the furniture Emily brought to her dorm room. She gets there eventually.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The fact that she went ahead and wore it made me respect her a lot less. She was so spineless around R&E. I didn't like Dean at that point either. He should have dumped her already.

You have to push me pretty far before I push back.  I'm kind of a doormat.  But throwing me a husband searching party when I have a boyfriend (or even if I don't come to think of it) would have done the trick.  I would have exited and walked to Stars Hollow if I'd had to.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 9/8/2021 at 10:03 PM, chitowngirl said:

And Rory looked ridiculous in the diamond tiara and necklace at her grandparents’s party. 

Who at age 18 wouldn't want to play dress-up with haute couture and real diamonds, especially when she does love her grandparents and there's no danger of Lorelai mocking it?

I would totally have done the same, because there were no consequences to be expected. If she hadn't gotten drunk, she would have changed before going home. The only misstep was letting the boys take her home in the limo instead of staying with Emily. 

Wonder if Emily was already fantasizing which of the boys would become her grandson-in-law. 

• Love 6
On 9/8/2021 at 4:03 PM, chitowngirl said:

And Rory looked ridiculous in the diamond tiara and necklace at her grandparents’s party. 

I would have been mortified to go out in public like that let alone paraded in front of potential suitors like a cattle call.  Who wore tiaras back then!  That would have been great bullying bait for Paris.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I would have been mortified to go out in public like that let alone paraded in front of potential suitors like a cattle call.  Who wore tiaras back then!  That would have been great bullying bait for Paris.

She caught onto what was going on and just went with it anyway. She never had her mother's strength of character or self respect.

Who at age 18 wouldn't want to play dress-up with haute couture and real diamonds, especially when she does love her grandparents and there's no danger of Lorelai mocking it?

At 18? No, maybe at 12.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

She caught onto what was going on and just went with it anyway.

She was too much of a people pleaser. 😢
And ASP was determined to ruin her and certainly succeeded....but that's probably for another thread. 😞

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

She caught onto what was going on and just went with it anyway. She never had her mother's strength of character or self respect.

At 18? No, maybe at 12.

True although it did take our investigative reporter awhile before she caught on. Emily and Richard calling to invite her to the party despite them being split? Not suspicious. Emily putting on the beautiful fancy jewelry and tiara for a Yale alumi party? Rory just asks if she really wants her to wear all of this. No questions or signs Rory is realizing something is up. Its only when she sees there's no girls at the party she figures it out. It really shouldn't have taken her that long to figure it out but it does.

Its not that I wanted her to morph into Lorelai. But I had really hoped once she was in college Rory would start developing a backbone. We get that scene with her telling off Taylor and telling the crowd that he never asked her to be the soda pop queen. But then won't speak up and tell Emily that Lorelai's not at the dinner because she had to finish up getting things Rory needed for Yale because Rory messed up and wrote the wrong date down. But it never happens.

• Love 3

But then won't speak up and tell Emily that Lorelai's not at the dinner because she had to finish up getting things Rory needed for Yale because Rory messed up and wrote the wrong date down. But it never happens.

That's right! I was so frustrated by that. And she just sat there watching old figure skating tapes as the last few seconds of her vacation ticked away.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's right! I was so frustrated by that. And she just sat there watching old figure skating tapes as the last few seconds of her vacation ticked away.

So do I. She could have said something. Instead she says nothing and then calls Mommy to come and fix it for her. I'm no fan of Emily's but Rory made it sound like Lorelai blew off dinner which she knew wasn't true and she knew why Emily was extending the dinner longer and longer. She could have said something but nope. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And she just sat there watching old figure skating tapes as

For the record, ballroom dancing - not figure skating. It wouldn't have mattered what Rory said. Once Emily could blame something on Lorelai, there is no changing her mind.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

For the record, ballroom dancing - not figure skating. It wouldn't have mattered what Rory said. Once Emily could blame something on Lorelai, there is no changing her mind.

Yeah, I went back and forth on that. Your memory is better than  mine. Rory didn't have what I call a "weasel mode", an instinctual response that would get her out of doing things she didn't want to do without riling people. It would have been a asset for any journalist.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Once Emily could blame something on Lorelai, there is no changing her mind.

I'm surprised Emily didn't blame Lorelai for her poor relationship with Trix. 

• LOL 3
21 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

But then won't speak up and tell Emily that Lorelai's not at the dinner because she had to finish up getting things Rory needed for Yale because Rory messed up and wrote the wrong date down.

I'm loathe to defend Rory anymore after seeing her extremely sharp decline by the time of the Revival, LOL, but I do understand her position in B&B. She had made it clear in TAS,P that she was obligating herself ONLY to FND's in return for Yale tuition - not her and Lorelai both - and not offering an explanation as to Lorelai's absence at dinner was IMO Rory's passive/aggressive way of reminding Emily (and Richard, but mostly Emily) that Lorelai wasn't obligated to come to FND anymore. Had she said "Mom would have been here, but...." then the implication would be that Lorelai would be there most of the time and Rory didn't want to set that precedent. 

Of course it was convenient for Rory that she didn't have to own up to making such a huge blunder with the school dates, but that was just a bonus. Heh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

True but I still think Rory should have still said something. At least she would have tried instead of doing nothing and calling Lorelai to come save her. 

• Love 1

I know that it’s more about Emily being Emily but I go crazy when I see the scene from the season 3 premiere and she calls the Inn to berate Lorelai for not calling her the second she walked through the door after spending the summer at Martha’s Vineyard. Lorelai is completely correct that Emily never told her when they were returning home so she wasn’t violating any social rules. Also, in my experience, it’s the person returning from the trip who typically makes the call and not the people who were already home. Again I know this is Emily finding another reason to berate Lorelai instead of merely calling to let her know they made it home safely but it’s so irritating.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, SJC said:

I'm surprised Emily didn't blame Lorelai for her poor relationship with Trix. 

She practically did. At least Emily expected the same performance in front of Trix that the giant ceramic dogs were forced to give. 😆

Lorelai's hair "had" to be cut and styled. Emily even start changing things inside Lorelai's home and claimed that Trix would blame Emily for everything she didn't like. 
Actually, that's a familiar refrain when it comes to Emily (in the Trix role) with Lorelai and Rory.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 9/12/2021 at 2:39 AM, scarynikki12 said:

Lorelai is completely correct that Emily never told her when they were returning home so she wasn’t violating any social rules.

Emily (or maybe the Palladinos via Emily?) made up a lot of rules that aren't actually rules. Somewhere else on this board, someone noted that some of the things Emily does in the name of etiquette are actually the opposite of good manners.

It's not an example of her being rude, but one that always gets me is when she says it would have been rude of her and Richard not to attend Sookie and Jackson's wedding because they were free that day (after bitching about how their invitation was clearly the result of someone else canceling). That's not a rule. Invitations are not summons, you're allowed to say no even if you don't have an actual scheduling conflict. No one else would have known what Emily and Richard's schedule was, much less reported their activities back to Sookie and Jackson. In general, people just want a headcount for the event and don't care why people can't make it, unless the invitee in question is a particularly close friend or relative.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, Hera said:

Invitations are not summons, you're allowed to say no even if you don't have an actual scheduling conflict. No one else would have known what Emily and Richard's schedule was, much less reported their activities back to Sookie and Jackson. In general, people just want a headcount for the event and don't care why people can't make it, unless the invitee in question is a particularly close friend or relative.

Well, I'm sure in the elite circles they are expected to attend unless there's something major going on which conflicts. I guarantee if someone didn't come to E&R's vow renewal they were the topic at every event for the next six months. But Sookie certainly wouldn't have cared, LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 9/12/2021 at 2:39 AM, scarynikki12 said:

I know that it’s more about Emily being Emily but I go crazy when I see the scene from the season 3 premiere and she calls the Inn to berate Lorelai for not calling her the second she walked through the door after spending the summer at Martha’s Vineyard. Lorelai is completely correct that Emily never told her when they were returning home so she wasn’t violating any social rules. Also, in my experience, it’s the person returning from the trip who typically makes the call and not the people who were already home. Again I know this is Emily finding another reason to berate Lorelai instead of merely calling to let her know they made it home safely but it’s so irritating.

I would kind of be annoyed if I got back from a trip and I was tired and every single person I knew called me 5 minutes after I got home.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Hera said:

It's not an example of her being rude, but one that always gets me is when she says it would have been rude of her and Richard not to attend Sookie and Jackson's wedding because they were free that day (after bitching about how their invitation was clearly the result of someone else canceling). That's not a rule. Invitations are not summons, you're allowed to say no even if you don't have an actual scheduling conflict. No one else would have known what Emily and Richard's schedule was, much less reported their activities back to Sookie and Jackson. In general, people just want a headcount for the event and don't care why people can't make it, unless the invitee in question is a particularly close friend or relative.

I always marvel at people who invite everyone to their wedding, even people they don't really like. If I were Sookie, it wouldn't even cross my mind to invite Emily and Richard.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I remember seeing Sookie in the kitchen at the Inn the night before her wedding (when she was wearing her wedding dress) but I don’t ever remember seeing the actual wedding. Was that shown on GG?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I remember seeing Sookie in the kitchen at the Inn the night before her wedding (when she was wearing her wedding dress) but I don’t ever remember seeing the actual wedding. Was that shown on GG?

No <putting more details under spoilers just in case….>

Spoiler

The episode ends with Lorelai and Rory just about to walk down the aisle after Lorelai gets the news of Sherri’s pregnancy and Christopher’s departure to be with her, and Rory’s news that she’s spending the summer in DC.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I always marvel at people who invite everyone to their wedding, even people they don't really like. If I were Sookie, it wouldn't even cross my mind to invite Emily and Richard.

I think someone at the last minute cancelled, she didn't want food to go to waste and she asked the only people she knew that she hadn't already invited.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

I would probably eat the food myself to be honest, but to each their own.

As if Sookie didn't make enough food to feed the entire town of Stars Hollow  plus a few residents of Woodbury to boot. You know she did LOL.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Except that they are her best friend's parents and have something of a history.  It's not like they were total strangers.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Emily had the worst manners I've ever seen a supposedly well bred person have.

Emily had extremely dreadful manners !
She dealt with folks well or poorly according to how high up in society they were. 
Of course if she was treated poorly she had a hissy fit. Emily was immature as well as ill-mannered.
As bad as she was in the OS she was worse in AYITL.

• Love 5

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I just watched "Say Something", and in the dream scene when the camera pans the movie audience, there is a man sitting in chair facing the audience. Who is he? Why is he facing the wrong way? He looks pretty into whatever he's watching.

Edited by ddlou
  • Useful 1

I wonder if Rory is not the first person Dean cheated on Lindsay with.  Rory hints to Lorelei that they used condoms - do faithfully married men conveniently have condoms with them while out and about?  Also, when Dean got home that night, Lindsay asked if he’d been working late again.

6 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I wonder if Rory is not the first person Dean cheated on Lindsay with.  Rory hints to Lorelei that they used condoms - do faithfully married men conveniently have condoms with them while out and about?  Also, when Dean got home that night, Lindsay asked if he’d been working late again.

I don't think Dean cheated on Lindsay before Rory. The way he was presented after dumping her in season 3 was that he never got over her even after getting married. He got drunk at his bachelor party and revealed to Luke that he was still hung up on her* which kick started that part of the story. If he was secretly cheating on Lindsay before the season 4 finale then it wouldn't make sense with how he was presented with regard to Rory. We did see him willing to work late at the Dragonfly and then he found other reasons (like the arcade) to not go home until he had to but just told Lindsay each time that it was work keeping him busy.

As the season came to its end Dean started to pick up on the fact that Rory was having feelings for him again and their almost kiss at the test run convinced him to be prepared so he made sure to have condoms just in case. 

*Honestly Luke should have decided to be the bad guy and be frank with Dean about how he shouldn't get married. I think Dean still would have gone through with it out of denial but someone needed to be honest with him.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Honestly Luke should have decided to be the bad guy and be frank with Dean about how he shouldn't get married. I think Dean still would have gone through with it out of denial but someone needed to be honest with him.

Completely agree!

• Love 4