Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

And don't forget that Luke supported Rory during the chicken pox which was presumably as a child.

Yes, the Stars Hollow timeline ebbs and flows.  It's like an alternate reality where continuity doesn't exist.

• Love 7

I wonder if the writers would be surprised by how much fans pay attention to the details and notice the inconsistencies.

I truly love this show. I found it in 2004 on ABC Family while I was at a conference, and was waiting in my hotel room after presentations and waiting for happy hour. The quippy dialogue caught my attention and I made sure to watch for the rest of the week, and then started watching the new episodes once I got home. I have all 7 seasons on DVD, and since the revival announcement have started watching reruns on FrreForm and UP when I'm home (with some exceptions). So the nitpicks really stick out when you watch it that much.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

This would explain why it sometimes feel like the girls attend more than one FND in a given week. 

Remember the CSPAN showing of Rory and Paris doing their joint speech (with the Paris I had sex melt down and didn't get into Harvard) that Richard attended that was on 6 pm Friday night and he was not sure he could attend but did? What happened to Friday night dinner at 7 pm and where was Emily? Consistency was clearly not a priority of the writers,

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Just putting your above question in its own separate quote, @junienmomo. Honestly, I just figured that Luke had some clothes at Nicole's place and he went to his drawer to put on new socks. From the sounds of their relationship then, it would have made more sense for Luke to just put his socks back on. So I guess Nicole's new boyfriend/lover had his own set of clothes and it's possible the drawers were mixed up, so Luke's accidental sock exchange ended up being legitimate. 

I have a few nitpicks of my own. I've realized that this show has a lot of continuity errors (many shows have the same house layout issues), but I noticed they did a lot of minor set changes:

I find it difficult to believe that Nicole would provide drawer space to a lover when she was still married at her own request. We never got to learn whether cheating was something she did casually or if she was a faithful person who cracked when Luke couldn't be honest with himself. I always presumed the second until the Sockman Sock Displacement was pointed out. Now I lean towards the spiteful bitch Nicole.

Great list of the other errors. Sometimes it's hard to believe anyone was paying attention to continuity at all.

Just watched the opening to 5.21, A House is Not a Home. 

As Lorelai and Rory are  transferring her things from the Prius to the Jeep, Lorelai suggests why don't they just rent a truck. Duh, she's dating, is in a deep relationship with a guy who has a truck. Not only that but she has already borrowed his truck for the earlier move. She could even say 'help move' and he would drop everything to do the move. Stupid discontinuity, I'm surprised Lauren Graham didn't do something about it.

I'm surprised Lauren Graham didn't do something about it.

I can't speak for LG but I have often heard actors say that they forget any details of their scene/epidose as soon as it was done.  In their defense, it's a job.  You learn your lines, you do what the director says, and then you go home.  Even some famous actors say that they have never seen their own work on the screen.  Perhaps we are more invested in the details than they are!

• Love 2

This probably had been discussed before (actually I may have posted it not sure lol). But I was watching the episode where they go the bangles concert. For some reason it always bothers me that the guys who Madiline and Lories leave with had such good sets. Why would they pay that kind of money at the off chance that they may meet single girls? I highly doubt they were there to see the show.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I can't speak for LG but I have often heard actors say that they forget any details of their scene/epidose as soon as it was done.  In their defense, it's a job.  You learn your lines, you do what the director says, and then you go home.  Even some famous actors say that they have never seen their own work on the screen.  Perhaps we are more invested in the details than they are!

LG is indeed one of those who said she doesn't watch her own work. Fair enough.

This particular instance, though, is mind-boggling. She and Rory are talking about having rented a U-Haul one year and are transferring Rory's belongings a tote bag at a time, DURING THE TIME that she is dating said guy with truck, who has had the truck the whole time she knew him, who used the truck already to move Rory, and he would do anything for Rory. On top of that, Lorelai is never above having him cater to her on the most trivial of things. "I can't stir" comes to mind.

I cannot in any way, shape or form believe that Lorelai in Season 5 does not know or recall that Luke has a truck and a strong back. 

• Love 1

I cannot in any way, shape or form believe that Lorelai in Season 5 does not know or recall that Luke has a truck and a strong back. 

I can't believe a whole staff of writers a)  were so dense and b) could think were were all so stupid that we wouldn't notice the incongruity.

• Love 6

Time and money existed as the writers and ASP wished them to in order to create storylines.

I know it's been mentioned before, but no way would Richards $75K have affected Rory applying for financial aid since it's based on the prior year's income. And it's also been mentioned that we don't really know how much Richard and Emily have since it seems like money is always at their fingertips at certain times and at others, it is played like they have money, but still need to be frugal at times.

Then, in S3 when Jess gets his car, Luke tells Lorelai that he can barely afford a car on what he makes at the diner. And yet, he can somehow afford to give Lorelai a $30K loan in the very next season? Okay then. Not to mention, I'm sure Jess' car was not that much. It wasn't a fancy used car. Maybe it was $1000-$1200. I'm not a car expert, but I doubt it was really that much money. So it seems silly for Luke to have a substantial amount of money available for Lorelai and yet, not be able to afford a crappy old car. I guess you could fanwank that Luke was just being facetious since we know he bought the building next to the diner in S2. I understand Luke didn't think based on the hours Jess worked at the diner that he would be able to purchase a car, but it's one of those lazy GG quotes that makes you go, yeah, sure. Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

Edited by JaggedLilPill
I'm anal about my grammar etc
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, JaggedLilPill said:

Time and money existed as the writers and ASP wished them to in order to create storylines.

<snip>

Then, in S3 when Jess gets his car, Luke tells Lorelai that he can barely afford a car on what he makes at the diner. And yet, he can somehow afford to give Lorelai a $30K loan in the very next season? Okay then. Not to mention, I'm sure Jess' car was not that much. It wasn't a fancy used car. Maybe it was $1000-$1200. I'm not a car expert, but I doubt it was really that much money. So it seems silly for Luke to have a substantial amount of money available for Lorelai and yet, not be able to afford a crappy old car. I guess you could fanwank that Luke was just being facetious since we know he bought the building next to the diner in S2. I understand Luke didn't think based on the hours Jess worked at the diner that he would be able to purchase a car, but it's one of those lazy GG quotes that makes you go, yeah, sure. Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

Fanwanking the comment as facetious to emphasize that Jess shouldn't have access to enough money to buy a car is actually fairly rational in this one case. He spent $100k on the building, and did the apartment remodel, the cruise and several expensive dates with Nicole, Lorelai's $30k, engagement ring, and it's either canon or fanwanked that he paid for the Crap Shack remodel. He also, after the Crap Shack remodel, expected to have no problems getting a loan for the Twickham house. 

Add all that up and we're looking at Luke having spent up to about $200k over those years. Presumably all cash except for the aborted Twickham house. No wonder he didn't protest too much when Lorelai bought him a pile of clothes from not-cheap Bloomingdale's even with the 6000 percent off. 

And I can't resist comparing Luke's wealth to Kirk's $240,000 plus nest egg. The only reason Luke didn't have around that same amount is because he already spent it LOL.

What I've never ever been able to fanwank is how the reputedly hottest guy in Stars Hollow is too reticent/shy/stupid/closely befriended/brain-dead to invite Lorelai out confidently and clearly.  I have also the same problem with Lorelai in the opposite direction, but that's another whole post for a different time. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, JaggedLilPill said:

I know it's been mentioned before, but no way would Richards $75K have affected Rory applying for financial aid since it's based on the prior year's income. And it's also been mentioned that we don't really know how much Richard and Emily have since it seems like money is always at their fingertips at certain times and at others, it is played like they have money, but still need to be frugal at times.

Luke didn't buy Jess's car, Jess bought it with his own money. Luke's comment was that he, Luke, didn't know how Jess could afford to buy a car based on the wages Luke was paying him working at the diner.

• Love 1

It's not really the actors' job to keep track of continuity.  My understanding is that most of these shows have some kind of "bible" that they use to keep track of the characters and stories.  It's like how the wardrobe people will take a picture of the actors wearing their costumes and hair in a given scene to ensure the character's appearance looks the same throughout the shooting process.       

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Luke didn't buy Jess's car, Jess bought it with his own money. Luke's comment was that he, Luke, didn't know how Jess could afford to buy a car based on the wages Luke was paying him working at the diner.

I'm watching the episode right now and Luke clearly says "I can barely afford a car on the money I get working at the diner."

I know Luke didn't buy Jess' car. My point was Luke was saying to Lorelai, who suggests Jess got the money for the car working at the diner, that he himself can't afford a car, when we have seen Luke buy a building the season before and in the next season, he has enough money to loan to Lorelai for the inn.

So, the comment doesn't make much sense when you think about it.

Luke didn't even want to talk about specifics of the loan he gave to Lorelai. So, presumably, he knew he wouldn't be getting it back right away. I'm sure to a Mark Zuckerberg type, $30k is a drop in the bucket, but for most of us, it's definitely a large amount of money to be lending.

@junienmomo

Fanwanking the comment as facetious to emphasize that Jess shouldn't have access to enough money to buy a car is actually fairly rational in this one case. He spent $100k on the building, and did the apartment remodel, the cruise and several expensive dates with Nicole, Lorelai's $30k, engagement ring, and it's either canon or fanwanked that he paid for the Crap Shack remodel. He also, after the Crap Shack remodel, expected to have no problems getting a loan for the Twickham house. 

Add all that up and we're looking at Luke having spent up to about $200k over those years. Presumably all cash except for the aborted Twickham house. No wonder he didn't protest too much when Lorelai bought him a pile of clothes from not-cheap Bloomingdale's even with the 6000 percent off. 

And I can't resist comparing Luke's wealth to Kirk's $240,000 plus nest egg. The only reason Luke didn't have around that same amount is because he already spent it LOL.

What I've never ever been able to fanwank is how the reputedly hottest guy in Stars Hollow is too reticent/shy/stupid/closely befriended/brain-dead to invite Lorelai out confidently and clearly.  I have also the same problem with Lorelai in the opposite direction, but that's another whole post for a different time.

He did spend a lot of money when you think about it like that, but he still had enough to give Lorelai the money for the inn. And that's after purchasing a building, the cruise and dates with Nicole.

And then he offers (not that she takes it) child support to Anna. 

LOL @ Kirk and his money. 

Edited by JaggedLilPill
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JaggedLilPill said:

That is the one, and I do mean one, way ASP wrote wealth well. Rich people spend very judiciously, but always in a way to capitalize on their own lifestyle. It's why they flew to Europe first class and stayed in luxury hotels, but haggled over rental properties at the Vineyard and the antiques at Mrs. Kim's. They've always had the money to spend, which is why they can pay off Chilton and Yale with the stroke of a pen, but won't unless it benefits the family. It's how they stay wealthy after all. Richard didn't even notice Emily's spree from "Scenes from a Mall", and when he found out about the private jet was only mad that she did it, and never once said they couldn't afford it. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I always took that line as a typical Luke exaggerated rant, not literally.

Exactly. Luke had a very successful business and lived in the building he owned, so I'm sure he had a lot of money saved up. Plus, Taylor was renting space for his ice cream shop. I took his joke about Jess as that there is no way he can afford a car on the min. wage he was getting at the diner. I was always irritated at Emily and Richard looking down at Luke because he had way more money than Lorelai and Christopher (until he inherited from his father), but didn't feel the need to flaunt it.

• Love 5

And let's not forget the karaoke scene.  The only difference between drunk and sober Lorelai seems to be a loss of her inhibitions.

• Bachelorette party:  calls Christopher, not Max
  • Limo ride:  sex without protection
  • Lane's wedding :  That dreadful, cringe-worthy speech
  • Karaoke:  heartfelt singing to Luke
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

And let's not forget the karaoke scene.  The only difference between drunk and sober Lorelai seems to be a loss of her inhibitions.

• Bachelorette party:  calls Christopher, not Max
  • Limo ride:  sex without protection
  • Lane's wedding :  That dreadful, cringe-worthy speech
  • Karaoke:  heartfelt singing to Luke

This gives me a whole new perspective on the reasons Friday Night Dinners were so volatile. 

• Love 1

Ok, so I'm on the 21st birthday episode in season six, and I still have issues with Rory's birthday. On Wikipedia, it says that it's October 8th (I'm not sure if it was officially confirmed in an episode or not), but I'm really sure that it has to be the end of October, at least, but even I leaned toward November until this season. I figured it had to be later in October in season one, and seeing the 21st birthday episode include the holiday of Halloween decorations make me even more sure about it. Pumpkin carvings can't keep until the end of October, and I can't see people setting up the Halloween decorations so early in October. 

Not to mention if Rory got together the day before her birthday with Dean in season 1 and they celebrated their three month anniversary in Star Crossed Lovers, there are several episodes in between Forgiveness and Stuff and that episode to get to January 8th. 

It's not like it's a huge deal, but it's a timeline inconsistency that has been bugging me since the start of my rewatch. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Not to mention if Rory got together the day before her birthday with Dean in season 1 and they celebrated their three month anniversary in Star Crossed Lovers, there are several episodes in between Forgiveness and Stuff and that episode to get to January 8th. 

It's not like it's a huge deal, but it's a timeline inconsistency that has been bugging me since the start of my rewatch.

Ugh. Yes. And Lane mentions how mopey Rory has been for five weeks post-breakup. Yet it's the end of the school year when they get back together. 

It isn't a big deal like you said, but it bugs me when there's so many inconsistencies. And this was still in the first season mind you. I can cut the show some slack if it's four, five years in, but the first season? Doesn't bode well for future seasons.

I never analyzed this before, but it occurs to me now that Lorelai had Rory at the beginning of what should have been her junior year.  Heck, when she got pregnant, she wouldn't have even been old enough to drive.  Somehow it always seemed to me that when Lorelai and Chris talked about dating, they were slightly older, more in their junior or senior year.  But this would mean that the majority of their dating was when they were 14/15.  Lorelai was already over 4 months pregnant when she turned 16. 

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, JaggedLilPill said:

Ugh. Yes. And Lane mentions how mopey Rory has been for five weeks post-breakup. Yet it's the end of the school year when they get back together. 

It isn't a big deal like you said, but it bugs me when there's so many inconsistencies. And this was still in the first season mind you. I can cut the show some slack if it's four, five years in, but the first season? Doesn't bode well for future seasons.

Yeah, that's for sure.

Also (there'll be a lot of posts as I go through the rest of the series), another stupid tiny little nitpick related to this whole thing? I'm on the season six episode after Rory returns, and it's the week of Thanksgiving. Rory says that she hasn't talked to Logan in two weeks, and in the episode where Jess returns, he wishes Rory a happy birthday ("It was a couple of weeks ago, right?"), so timeline is roughly four weeks. I'm a curious person because the timeline is clearly bugging me and I looked up when Thanksgiving was in 2005 and it was November 24th, so Rory's birthday couldn't be October 8th.

Man, too much thinking about this. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, moonb said:

Also, Rory was driving herself to school in season 1's The Deerhunters, when she was supposedly still 15. Does Connecticut give driver's licenses to 15-year-olds?

I just took that as Lorelai's general assumption that there are two sets of rules and common courtesies... one for Gilmores, and one for everyone else. Rory would have had a learner's permit, and Lorelai would have justified it as being an emergency situation. Doesn't make it right. But fanwanking it this way makes it fit into my interpretation of the Gilmore universe. 

• Love 1

Ok, so I'm just on the Logan's accident episode at the end of season six, and there's something that's bugging me. Ok, I know his family is rich and all that, but seemingly, only Colin and Finn knew about the accident and hadn't contacted his family prior to them airlifting Logan to New York. Now, I've started getting to the point where I've stopped paying full attention, but who in their right mind would airlift someone in serious condition from Costa Rica to New York? That is literally a few hours flight away. That's a hefty trip to make for someone who needed surgery and had internal bleeding issues. I highly doubt the doctors would allow for Colin and Finn, the two college idiots, to make such a decision to get him to New York. If anything, I'd expect that they would airlift him to at least Florida and get him stable there before airlifting him to New York. 

• Love 4

Dean's family moved from Chicago. Why? And what employment is available in Stars Hollow, other than in the tourist industry? High school administration or teachers?

Or did they just live in Stars Hollow, and worked in a nearby, larger town?

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, clack said:

Dean's family moved from Chicago. Why? And what employment is available in Stars Hollow, other than in the tourist industry? High school administration or teachers?

Or did they just live in Stars Hollow, and worked in a nearby, larger town?

He told Richard that his dad owns a stereo shop in town- maybe that's why they moved?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

But later wasn't he working for the road commission or something?  Continuity be damned.

That was Lindsay's father. Dean's dad installed stereo systems and was apparently a whiz at building and fixing cars. I think Dean's mother worked as a part time records transcriptionist. 

• Love 1

I figured that Dean's family never fitted in a big city like Chicago because they had pretty small-town, traditional, old-fashioned values. (Maybe both his parents grew up in the country and just ended up living in the city but not liking it). So they happily moved to Stars Hollow for the quaint, small-town life despite fewer work opportunities and less income. Which explains why they were okay with Dean getting married just out of high school and dropping out of College to support his 19 year old housewife, seemed to like a traditional Donna Reed family life and why Dean became such a country bumpkin so quickly despite being the cool new kid in the pilot. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW

I figured that Dean's family never fitted in a big city like Chicago because they had pretty small-town, traditional, old-fashioned values. (Maybe both his parents grew up in the country and just ended up living in the city but not liking it). 

I probably mentioned this before, but just because Dean said he moved from Chicago, doesn't mean that he actually lived in the city. My husband says he is from Chicago where he was born, but he actually grew up in a suburb south of the city. 

• Love 3
On May 16, 2016 at 11:12 AM, deaja said:

Mystery quote box again!

question: Lorelai went to private school and was apparently at the top of her class. She lived 5 minutes from Chilton, why didn't she go there and why did she want Rory to attend that specific school?

• Love 1

question: Lorelai went to private school and was apparently at the top of her class. She lived 5 minutes from Chilton, why didn't she go there and why did she want Rory to attend that specific school?

Fanwank: Richard and/or Emily were legacies at a different prep school and wanted Lorelai to go there.  Perhaps in the fictional world of Hartford, Chilton's reputation wasn't as strong when Lorelai was in high school as it was 15 years later.  I can understand Lorelai wanting to avoid her former prep school, however.  Rory being "Lorelai's daughter" and the teen pregnancy legacy might have been a lot to handle.

Edited by moonb
  • Love 2

I can understand Lorelai wanting to avoid her former prep school, however.  Rory being "Lorelai's daughter" and the teen pregnancy legacy might have been a lot to handle.

I can't imagine Lorelai ever considering sending Rory to her old school.  There would likely be teachers there that remember Lorelai, and it would have been almost cruel to put Rory into the middle of that.   

• Love 3
2 hours ago, moonb said:

Fanwank: Richard and/or Emily were legacies at a different prep school and wanted Lorelai to go there.  Perhaps in the fictional world of Hartford, Chilton's reputation wasn't as strong when Lorelai was in high school as it was 15 years later.  I can understand Lorelai wanting to avoid her former prep school, however.  Rory being "Lorelai's daughter" and the teen pregnancy legacy might have been a lot to handle.

Sandra Day O'Conner was a puff, and I thought she was a Chilton puff, so Chilton would have been around during Lorelai's day.  

I would have avoided the pregnancy legacy too.

Ok so basically the premise kind of relies on this not being true--but Emily Gilmore, teens have sex. Talk to your teen daughter about sex. Also it's hard to imagine Emily wouldn't have noticed them drinking--unless we are to assume DR+E is the first time they drank the parents booze and then did it.

2 hours ago, JayInChicago said:

Ok so basically the premise kind of relies on this not being true--but Emily Gilmore, teens have sex. Talk to your teen daughter about sex. Also it's hard to imagine Emily wouldn't have noticed them drinking--unless we are to assume DR+E is the first time they drank the parents booze and then did it.

The writers gave us several scenarios which could have made it possible for Lorelai to be both drinking and having sex without her knowledge. 

Madeleine's party - no alcohol in evidence, but she went off to a pool house with Louise and some guys with clear intentions.

Emily served Rory champagne to celebrate Chilton, I presume Lorelai would have been trained in wine at dinners.

Emily was a corporate wife, which included a tightly-run house, stocked with the things that might be needed to support the corporate job, like food and drinks, including cocktails. Additionally, Emily knew the kitchen was full of food when Rory stayed over because of snow, but she had no idea what was there. Alcohol would have been bought by the case. Even if it were kept under lock and key, Lorelai had the brains to find the key and use it, if she didn't do the simplest teenage method of refilling bottles with water, not that the parents paid attention to that either.

Emily and Richard had frequent long major events to attend, leaving Lorelai on her own. Judging by the party in the pool house at the meat market party, it wasn't a really big deal to lift some booze. And Christopher probably had even better access. 

Time, alcohol availability, and wanting to get her parents' attention - Lorelai's pregnancy was practically written in the stars. 

8 hours ago, JayInChicago said:

What I found weird was that after Emily went through a teen pregnancy with Lorelai, 20 years later she was horrified to think that Rory "may be thinking of having relations with Logan"? Seriously? And her solution to that was to prevent Rory from spending time with Logan? Did she learn nothing from her situation with her daughter?

• Love 2

Did she learn nothing from her situation with her daughter?

Two quotes come to mind:

1. “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana
  2. "The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result."  Albert Einstein

Emily never, ever got it.  Right down to threatening the 21 year old at the Russian Tea with ground rules.

• Love 4
On 9/5/2016 at 1:30 PM, JaggedLilPill said:

My husband works in the financial world, and many people with disposable income will cry poor.  He has a client with 330K in her checking account, yet applies for assistance to pay for her glasses.  Drives him up a wall.  I could see Luke being one of those super frugal type people crying poor.  

OTOH, I know ASP didn't put that much thought into her characters.  Just saying, I know people who (by most standards) have disposable income...and they are always saying that they can't afford anything.  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, CheeseBurgh said:

What happened to all the furniture Emily bought Rory? I swear it just disappeared.

You're right! The next thing I heard about a move, Lorelai and Rory were moving a few tote bags at a time by car. Absurd, especially since a year later Emily redecorated the pool house for IIRC $40,000.

• Love 1

How come "Lor" and Christopher were able to perform a snazzy dance routine at the drop of a hat (at Miss Patty's) but when Michel asked Lorelai to dance at the cotillion thing, she was clumping around like moose.  And I can't believe it's because she'd danced that much with Christopher in the past - 15 year-olds don't normally cut the rug that much.

7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

How come "Lor" and Christopher were able to perform a snazzy dance routine at the drop of a hat (at Miss Patty's) but when Michel asked Lorelai to dance at the cotillion thing, she was clumping around like moose.  And I can't believe it's because she'd danced that much with Christopher in the past - 15 year-olds don't normally cut the rug that much.

Plot line du jour.