Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I assumed it used to be an office because of the size and it being just off the kitchen that was turned into a bedroom (my grandparents did the same thing with their office because they needed another bedroom more then they needed an office).  I can't figure out why there isn't a second bedroom upstairs. It really makes no sense. I've been in similar houses and they've always had two bedrooms. Has anyone been in similar houses that there was only one bedroom? Two stories but only one bedroom? 

I grew up in a bedroom that my parents had to walk through to go to their bedroom and had a house where the bathroom was an afterthought and it, including the only toilet, was attached to the back of the house on the ground floor, so weird stuff abounds in homes made without zoning laws. As we all know, before Taylor Stars Hollow was like the Wild West, LOL.

If it wasn't in fanfiction, there might have been a original series allusion to a sewing room upstairs. The room off the kitchen could easily have once been a pantry or laundry room.  For me it's reasonable that the space upstairs was too small for the books, so the pantry was a reasonable alternative.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, junienmomo said:

As we all know, before Taylor Stars Hollow was like the Wild West, LOL.

This made me legit LOL for like five minutes.

I've seen some very strange house layouts, especially in older homes (which I assume many of the ones in SH are) so I never thought much about it.  Anybody ever seen a "shotgun house"?  That's a house with an open hallway-sized porch all the way down the middle, with rooms on either side, a design that carried over from the Civil War era.  You could fire a shot from behind the house and hit something in front.  There was at least two of them in the small town I grew up in.  The houses were probably 100 years old if not more.

12 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

And how old was Rory when they moved from the Inn into the house?

I think Sookie said she was 11, in Concert Interruptus when Lorelai was going on about Rachel.

• Love 2

That always seemed so weird to me. They lived in the potting shed until she was 11?

Weird house layouts don't phase me, though. The house we just moved out of, and lived in for the last 6 years, was super weird. The front of the house was built prior to 1900. It was just 4 rooms, a basic square. The 2 on the left had doors and were bedrooms. There was a wood stove in one of the open rooms. No actual kitchen or bathroom. In the 50s they added those on, as well as another bedroom and a laundry room/pantry. The way they did it, you had to go THROUGH the bathroom to get to that third bedroom. When I was pregnant with our daughter, my husband built an addition because we needed another bedroom (and a bath while we're at it!). Because of the way the house was situated on property lines, we had no choice to build it off of an existing bedroom. We were using that as a playroom anyhow. But yea, you had to go through THAT room to get to our room. It was a small house, though, otherwise it would have felt like a maze. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

That always seemed so weird to me. They lived in the potting shed until she was 11?

It never made sense to me either, that they lived in the shed all the way until Rory was a pre-teen. I get that Lorelai couldn't afford a house until she was a manager at the Inn, but what with her  rise up in the hotel business and the fact that  Mia took her under her wing it made more sense to me that Lorelai would be able to afford a small apartment after a few years in SH. I think it was one of those real life details ASP couldn't be bothered with. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, HeySandyStrange said:

It never made sense to me either, that they lived in the shed all the way until Rory was a pre-teen. I get that Lorelai couldn't afford a house until she was a manager at the Inn, but what with her  rise up in the hotel business and the fact that  Mia took her under her wing it made more sense to me that Lorelai would be able to afford a small apartment after a few years in SH. I think it was one of those real life details ASP couldn't be bothered with. 

OTOH, the potting shed was completely free, I would imagine.  Maybe Lorelei wanted to save ALL her money (barring food, clothing and school supplies) for a house. 

SOOKIE: Honey, you had an 11 year old kid and you were just moving into this house. Plus Rachel traveled all the time. She was a photographer.

Are we absolutely certain they went straight from the potting shed to the house?

3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Weird house layouts don't phase me, though. The house we just moved out of, and lived in for the last 6 years, was super weird. The front of the house was built prior to 1900. It was just 4 rooms, a basic square. The 2 on the left had doors and were bedrooms. There was a wood stove in one of the open rooms. No actual kitchen or bathroom. In the 50s they added those on, as well as another bedroom and a laundry room/pantry. The way they did it, you had to go THROUGH the bathroom to get to that third bedroom. When I was pregnant with our daughter, my husband built an addition because we needed another bedroom (and a bath while we're at it!). Because of the way the house was situated on property lines, we had no choice to build it off of an existing bedroom. We were using that as a playroom anyhow. But yea, you had to go through THAT room to get to our room. It was a small house, though, otherwise it would have felt like a maze. 

This was the one problem I had with Lorelai, when she was talking to Logan about smart choices (financially), and not gambling - how she didn't want that for her daughter, and how that wasn't Rory (who chose a career that wasn't actually that certain, so maybe it was Rory). She left a financially comfortable home when she was underage, to move her baby into a potting shed, and live on the wages she made cleaning? I know her parents were overbearing, but that was a real gamble. Just leaving with her baby. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, junienmomo said:

I grew up in a bedroom that my parents had to walk through to go to their bedroom and had a house where the bathroom was an afterthought and it, including the only toilet, was attached to the back of the house on the ground floor, so weird stuff abounds in homes made without zoning laws. As we all know, before Taylor Stars Hollow was like the Wild West, LOL.

If it wasn't in fanfiction, there might have been a original series allusion to a sewing room upstairs. The room off the kitchen could easily have once been a pantry or laundry room.  For me it's reasonable that the space upstairs was too small for the books, so the pantry was a reasonable alternative.

6 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

This made me legit LOL for like five minutes.

I've seen some very strange house layouts, especially in older homes (which I assume many of the ones in SH are) so I never thought much about it.  Anybody ever seen a "shotgun house"?  That's a house with an open hallway-sized porch all the way down the middle, with rooms on either side, a design that carried over from the Civil War era.  You could fire a shot from behind the house and hit something in front.  There was at least two of them in the small town I grew up in.  The houses were probably 100 years old if not more.

I think Sookie said she was 11, in Concert Interruptus when Lorelai was going on about Rachel.

3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Those houses sound crazy! And some kind of cool. I've never been in one that weird. The closest was a weird room off the second bedroom that was used as a playroom and it wasn't an attic because the door for that was in the third bedroom. 

1 hour ago, HeySandyStrange said:

22 minutes ago, Katy M said:

OTOH, the potting shed was completely free, I would imagine.  Maybe Lorelei wanted to save ALL her money (barring food, clothing and school supplies) for a house. 

Are we absolutely certain they went straight from the potting shed to the house?

It really doesn't. I would have thought Lorelai would have moved into an apartment first chance she got. You know her own place. It would make more sense for them to live in the potting shed for a year or two, then move into an apartment and from then Lorelai working hard to save up for a house and kind of cool for their backstory.  I do agree its probably one of those details ASP can't be bothered with. Like how money situations keep changing with Lorelai and her parents. 

38 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That's actually not clear at all, from what I can remember.  Here's some snippets from Emily in Wonderland:

LORELAI: You want him to live here?

SOOKIE: No! Well, what about the old potting shed?

LORELAI: The old potting shed? That's where Rory and I lived when she was a baby. It has memories and little rosebud wallpaper. I don't want Boo Radley touching my rosebud wallpaper.

RORY: And this is my favorite place.

EMILY: The tool shed?

RORY: No, this is where we used to live.

EMILY: What?

RORY: Right when mom and I moved here, this was our apartment.

EMILY: But. .

(Rory opens the door and walks in. Emily looks in from the doorway.)

RORY: I know it's looks small, but it's really pretty. Come on. See we had our bed right over there, and mom put up this really pretty curtain around the tub so that it looked like a real bathroom. And we would just sit outside at night when the Inn would have parties and we'd just listen to music and feed the ducks and. . . (Emily walks away) Grandma? Grandma wait, what's the matter?

Granted, it sounds like they lived there for at least a few years, for Rory to be able to remember so much about it, but she could easily remember that much from when she was 4 - 5 years old.  Especially if Lorelai had a lot of pictures that they looked through often.  IMO it would make sense, and fit the canon, that they lived in the potting shed until Rory was around 6 or 7 and then got a small apartment, and then the house when Rory was 11.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Of course it does make sense for teenage maid Lorelai take advantage of free housing for a few years. But I would think as Rory got older the shed would've been less and less comfortable and charming for the both of them. It was cute but pretty damn small and had little privacy, if I remember the layout of the shed correctly. It only had one bed and a bathtub with a curtain around it, right? And no toilet in sight, though maybe I'm wrong. That would get awkward and cramped.

1 minute ago, Taryn74 said:

IMO it would make sense, and fit the canon, that they lived in the potting shed until Rory was around 6 or 7 and then got a small apartment, and then the house when Rory was 11.

Agreed! Too bad we will never get some background on a possible Gilmore Girls: The Apartment Years like we did the Shed Years. It really makes the most sense imo, whether ASP cares about that logic or not.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Anela said:

This was the one problem I had with Lorelai, when she was talking to Logan about smart choices (financially), and not gambling - how she didn't want that for her daughter, and how that wasn't Rory (who chose a career that wasn't actually that certain, so maybe it was Rory). She left a financially comfortable home when she was underage, to move her baby into a potting shed, and live on the wages she made cleaning? I know her parents were overbearing, but that was a real gamble. Just leaving with her baby. 

Rory was a toddler when Lorelai left Richard and Emily's house, so she was probably 18. Knowing Lorelai, she left the second she became 18. Still a teenager, but of legal age.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Rory was a toddler when Lorelai left Richard and Emily's house, so she was probably 18. Knowing Lorelai, she left the second she became 18. Still a teenager, but of legal age.

I think if Rory was a toddler Lorelei would have been close to, if not, 19.  We know she was 16 when Rory was born, but I'm figuring she was close to 17.  Her pregnancy ruined her coming out party, or whatever, which is usually for 16 or 17 year olds. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I thought her mum told the woman who took her in, that she was underage. Maybe it was just that she was a teenager. When she told her that if someone's daughter had turned up on her door step, she would have sent her home. 

I keep losing my internet, so I don't know if this will post. 

MIA: Would you like to sit down? Or have something to eat? Have lunch with me, won't you?

EMILY: No, thank you. You have a lovely place here. It's a beautiful hotel. It's not a home, but still, a beautiful hotel.

MIA: Sometimes home is where your hat is.

EMILY: Or where your family is.

MIA: Yes, that too. You sure you don't want some tea? Tea usually makes things like this a little less awkward. There's things to hold and stir.

EMILY: I don't know why I came here.

MIA: You wanted to meet me.

EMILY: After all these years, it makes no sense.

MIA: I expected you to come eventually.

EMILY: Did you?

MIA: Mm hmm.

EMILY: And what did you expect to say to me when I did come?

MIA: When Lorelai showed up on my porch that day with a tiny baby in her arms, I thought to myself, what if this were my daughter, and she was cold and scared and needed a place to live? What would I want for her? And then I thought, I'd want her to find somebody to take her in and make her safe and help her find her way.

EMILY: That's funny. I would've wanted her to find someone who would send her home. I have to go. I'd appreciate if you didn't mention this to Lorelai.

MIA: I won't.

Edited by Anela

She worked hard, no doubt about that, but she didn't seem to have much of anything in savings, and didn't seem to think far ahead when it came to money. Unless I'm forgetting something, which could easily happen. 

Lorelai objected to her parents butting into Luke's financial situation and career. I guess the difference there is that Logan approached her about her reservations, which was rather grown-up of him, I think. I know that parents are usually more protective of their children, than they are of themselves. My own mother was. She would do things on impulse, but kept a roof over our heads. She was a lot like Lorelai, although not as annoying as some think Lorelai is. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

It's canon (from several different eps) that Lorelai was 15 when she got pregnant, 16 when she gave birth, and Rory was around a year old (and Lorelai not quite yet 18) when they left the elder Gilmore's house.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

It's canon (from several different eps) that Lorelai was 15 when she got pregnant, 16 when she gave birth, and Rory was around a year old (and Lorelai not quite yet 18) when they left the elder Gilmore's house.

Here's a question then.  Did she graduate from high school?  Because based on that timeline one wouldn't think so.  I'm not really sure where they get this but Wikipedia says Lorelai was born in April.  If that's so, unless she skipped a grade, she would be 18 at graduation.  We know that Rory was born in October, or the fall at any rate, so if Lorelai was 16, that means junior year, moving to the inn what would have been her senior year.  Did she get her GED?  Obviously to go to business school, she had to either have a diploma or a GED, but to the best of my knowledge, the details of Lorelai's finishing high school were never explained.  In fact at Rory's fancy bday party, her "friend" said she hadn't seen her since 7th month of pregnancy and Lorelai said she could have just said high school.   Now, that's kind of weird, if Rory was born in October, 7 months would be August, September and it would be July.  Why would that be the last time she saw someone from school.  school wouldn't even be in session.  I guess a fancy private school might not have let her back in for her junior year, once she was showing, so I an only assume she didn't attend school her last two years, unless they got her into a different one.  But, it doesn't explain how she finished once she left.

This bothers me, because while I in no way think that we should demonize teen mothers, I don't think it's good to glamorize it or portray it as being easy.  Lorelai had a lot of choices.  she had rich parents that she could stay with (which most girls do not).  She ran away from home and the first person she came to not only didn't take advantage of her, but gave her a job and a place to live, and presumably never had to pay for day care because it's never mentioned, and I always got the impression that until she started school, Lorelai just kept her with her while she was cleaning rooms.  Then, this girl, who doesn't appear to have had a chance to finish high school, works her way up to managing a pretty high end inn.    And, we don't see any of that struggle.  Sorry, just kind of a pet peeve of mine that teen moms on TV *usually* have it pretty darn easy as opposed to real life.

And, by the way, I know Emily gets some crap for not being a particularly loving or supportive mother, but she handled her teen daughter's pregnancy pretty well.  A lot better than Chris's parents, IMO.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Anela said:

She worked hard, no doubt about that, but she didn't seem to have much of anything in savings, and didn't seem to think far ahead when it came to money. Unless I'm forgetting something, which could easily happen. 

Lorelai objected to her parents butting into Luke's financial situation and career. I guess the difference there is that Logan approached her about her reservations, which was rather grown-up of him, I think. I know that parents are usually more protective of their children, than they are of themselves. My own mother was. She would do things on impulse, but kept a roof over our heads. She was a lot like Lorelai, although not as annoying as some think Lorelai is. 

I liked that Logan did that. I liked that Logan and Lorelai talked and she explained why she is worried he understood and they talked. Its a good scene. It would have made for a cool scene to have Emily do the same thing with Luke forget the society stuff but admit her biggest worry that Lorelai won't have a reason to keep Emily in her life. That would have been nicer then Emily trashing Luke for a dinner or seeing Richard and Luke talk, we found out later Luke told him about holding the building next door. It would have been more fun to listen to Richard and Luke talk about Luke's business holdings I think Richard would be a little impressed that Luke owned more then just the diner and maybe impressed that he was able to loan Lorelai a large amount of money.  Emily was surprised when Luke told her he kept his father's shop exactly like it was before. It would have been neat to see Emily and Luke really talk and Richard and Luke too.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

It would have been more fun to listen to Richard and Luke talk about Luke's business holdings I think Richard would be a little impressed that Luke owned more then just the diner and maybe impressed that he was able to loan Lorelai a large amount of money.

I think it might have been, but I also see it as in character for Richard to not be approving of Luke thinking he "just owned a diner and dressed like a slob" considering his treatment of Dean at that Friday Night Dinner (one of my fave epis by the way), and it seems in character for Luke to not explain everything about his life and just be what and who he is.  Even if he did go golfing:)

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked that Logan did that. I liked that Logan and Lorelai talked and she explained why she is worried he understood and they talked. Its a good scene. It would have made for a cool scene to have Emily do the same thing with Luke forget the society stuff but admit her biggest worry that Lorelai won't have a reason to keep Lorelai in her life. That would have been nicer then Emily trashing Luke for a dinner or seeing Richard and Luke talk, we found out later Luke told him about holding the building next door. It would have been more fun to listen to Richard and Luke talk about Luke's business holdings I think Richard would be a little impressed that Luke owned more then just the diner and maybe impressed that he was able to loan Lorelai a large amount of money.  Emily was surprised when Luke told her he kept his father's shop exactly like it was before. It would have been neat to see Emily and Luke really talk and Richard and Luke too.

I think that was one of the best things about the last season: people spoke to each other. They actually communicated. It would have been nice if her parents had acknowledged that Luke was actually in a good place, since the building that houses his diner, was probably paid for (since it belonged to his dad), and people always need to eat. He always had customers, and made the best coffee in town. That's not a small thing. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Here's a question then.  Did she graduate from high school?

From One's Got Class -

GIRL 2: Didn’t you get pregnant when you were sixteen?

LORELAI: Um, sixteen. . .it was around that age. Sixteen, that sounds right. Okay. Different people working for you will have different needs. . .yeah?

BOY: Well, what about school?

LORELAI: School? I’m sorry.

BOY: Did you drop out when you got pregnant with Rory?

LORELAI: No, technically, I didn’t drop out. I, uh, I kept going as long as I could while I got pregnant, which I would recommend to any girl. Not the getting pregnant part, obviously. Um, although, uh, if that happens, um, you know. . . it shouldn't. I mean, it could but you should try to avoid it. . . um, anyway, uh, I got my GED, yeah.

DEBBIE: Lorelai, why don’t we move this along?

Emily and Richard also both, on different occasions if I recall correctly, referred to Lorelai "dropping out" of school.  And Lorelai mentioned to Rory once that Rory was going to graduate high school, with the inference that she (Lorelai) did not.

On 8/2/2017 at 7:27 PM, hippielamb said:

on Roseanne there was a similar room off the kitchen. But I have never seen anything like that in real life. 

My aunt and uncle have their bedroom off the kitchen. The other two bedrooms and bathroom are down a little hall off the living room liking normal, placing the master bath back to back with the hall bathroom. They remodeled once a long time ago, I can't remember what it used to look like, but the master bedroom was never anywhere else. I want to say they opened it up, the kitchen and living room.  I reckon my uncle built it himself (he built my parents', works in construction), so I guess that's just how they designed it, with the master bedroom getting privacy. 

On 8/5/2017 at 5:56 PM, andromeda331 said:

Has anyone been in similar houses that there was only one bedroom? Two stories but only one bedroom? 

Actually, yes! My cousin once lived in a house that had a bedroom downstairs (off the living room) and the upstairs was kind of just, open, if I remember correctly. I want to say there was a column or two. There was a bathroom too. And I think the only downstairs bathroom was the one adjoining the bedroom, so that's a little awkward. 

Getting back to Lorelai's house, does anyone remember the extra side door in the living room? Sookie came through it ONCE in S1, when the house was full of rummage sale stuff, I believe. You see it again a couple times, but no one else ever uses it. It's a very odd place for an extra door.  

If it wasn't in fanfiction, there might have been a original series allusion to a sewing room upstairs. The room off the kitchen could easily have once been a pantry or laundry room. 

I have read a fic where there was a small sewing room. If it was a laundry room, maybe that's why the washer and dryer seems to be out on the back porch. 

Edited by nclpllm
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, nclpllm said:

Getting back to Lorelai's house, does anyone remember the extra side door in the living room? Sookie came through it ONCE in S1, when the house was full of rummage sale stuff, I believe. You see it again a couple times, but no one else ever uses it. It's a very odd place for an extra door.  

I HAVE seen doors like this. They usually just open out to the porch, especially if the porch wraps around to the side of the house.

On 8/7/2017 at 10:22 PM, chitowngirl said:

I HAVE seen doors like this. They usually just open out to the porch, especially if the porch wraps around to the side of the house.

There is a house only 10 years old on my own block that was like this. My wife and I looked at when we were looking for a house 4 years ago. Also, there was a house two blocks over and where the master bedroom was almost immediately to the left from the front door and the other bedrooms (3) were all the way in the back with the kitchen next door. It was requested by the original owners 10 years ago because both their kids were early teens and wanted privacy and the parents would work late and go right to bed after they got home (don't get the logic either). So, to say, people who have houses built for them or designers who are "I want to be original" will do strange things. So, houses like on Gilmore Girls, Roseanne, The Middle or even Full House never surprised me.

I was just rewatching Season 6. I think I mentioned this here once, but couldn't find the post. When the townspeople are watching April and Luke through Taylor's Sweet Shoppe window, they're all talking about Anna as if they know her very well. They all said that she grew up in Stars Hollow and was a local. Even Liz remembered her when Luke told her about April. Then, when she told Luke she was taking April away, she said that she and her entire family were from New Mexico. Am I the only one? This really bugs me.

7 minutes ago, CJRocks said:

I was just rewatching Season 6. I think I mentioned this here once, but couldn't find the post. When the townspeople are watching April and Luke through Taylor's Sweet Shoppe window, they're all talking about Anna as if they know her very well. They all said that she grew up in Stars Hollow and was a local. Even Liz remembered her when Luke told her about April. Then, when she told Luke she was taking April away, she said that she and her entire family were from New Mexico. Am I the only one? This really bugs me.

She could have been born in New Mexico and moved to SH when she was young, 5, 6, whatever.  Then, at some point after she turned 18, her parents moved back to NM and she stayed in SH.  That would serve all the requirements of those statements, I think.

This is probably a weird nitpick. But Lorelai running out of ideas of on a bachelorette party? She really seems the type to have dozens of different ideas. Even last minute off the top of her she should have been able to think of a lot of things to do.

• Love 1

How the heck do you mail a party invitations "with real pearls"  In a box? And does it say "made with real pearls" so the invitee doesn't pitch them into the recycle bin?  And is the invitee supposed to peel them off and wear them somehow?  Emily gives me a headache.

• Love 1

Another timeline issue, the bane of our existence. In season 4, when Jason plans the Vegas party, Emily laments that planning parties for Richard's clients has been her role for 36 years. I think it's been mentioned maybe once before how long they'd been married, or what year it was, and it checks out. It also fit Lorelai's age- 35. But then just three episodes later at the Yale/Harvard game, they run into Pennilyn Lott and learn about Richard's secret lunches, allegedly for years. Emily exclaims, "You've lied to me for the past 39 years." 

I figure the change wasn't because they were too lazy (this time) to bother checking or remembering the transcript from just a few episodes prior, deliberate added three years. They must have decided that Richard and Emily would be separating, and later would reconcile/renew vows neatly at their 40th anniversary. So they had a reason, but still. It's so annoying that ASP refuses to work within her own boundaries. I've started chalking up her allergy to continuity to her deep desire (feeling of entitlement?) to have absolute and total creative control, which includes not being restricted by any details. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, nclpllm said:

Emily laments that planning parties for Richard's clients has been her role for 36 years. I think it's been mentioned maybe once before how long they'd been married, or what year it was, and it checks out. It also fit Lorelai's age- 35. But then just three episodes later at the Yale/Harvard game, they run into Pennilyn Lott and learn about Richard's secret lunches, allegedly for years. Emily exclaims, "You've lied to me for the past 39 years." 

Is it possible he didn't have any parties to plan for the first three years of their marriage?

• Love 2

I guess it's possible. I took it to mean she'd been his respected helpmate for all of their marriage- planning and attending parties- for all of their marriage; especially since this was where Emily started to feel diminished in this role, the overarching Emily/Richard plot that season.  

On 6/7/2017 at 11:45 PM, Anela said:

My nitpick had to do with them making it sound like Jess' dad only left a year or two before, when he first came to Stars Hollow. The following season, when his dad shows up, they make it sound like he left when Jess was a baby. 

I think that it was a "step" dad (or mother's boyfriend) that left, not that Jess was close to him at all. As he was like the usual people Liz dated. I'm not sure if I just fan thought that or it was in the show.

• Love 1
On 06/09/2017 at 10:36 PM, blueray said:

I think that it was a "step" dad (or mother's boyfriend) that left, not that Jess was close to him at all. As he was like the usual people Liz dated. I'm not sure if I just fan thought that or it was in the show.

I never got the impression it was a "step" dad... I remember Lorelai asking where's his dad and Luke said he left a few years ago and then when they decide to bring the guy into the picture for the spinoff, it became "Jimmy left to get diapers and never came back". That always bugged me also. It wouldn't have been believable if Jess recognized him?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, timimouse said:

I never got the impression it was a "step" dad... I remember Lorelai asking where's his dad and Luke said he left a few years ago and then when they decide to bring the guy into the picture for the spinoff, it became "Jimmy left to get diapers and never came back". That always bugged me also. It wouldn't have been believable if Jess recognized him?

Did he literally say "a few years" because a few years can mean different things to different people.  Maybe Luke considers 15 a few.  On the other hand if it's a year or two like @Anela said, that's more concrete. 

I can't remember. I'll have to start watching again. I was sure they made it sound like his real dad had run off, and left them in the lurch, when Jess was older. Then we get to hear about his mother's many boyfriends, and how she's been married more than once, so maybe she considered them to be his father(s) each time. 

It's something they decided to change when they wanted to do the Jess in CA spinoff, simple as that.  At first Jess's dad - his real dad - had run off just a couple of years ago, then later they changed it to he left right when Jess was born.

• Love 5

I'm watching Unto the Breach now and this always bugged me: where is the locale of Rory's graduation party?  The interior looked like it could have been a room in Richard/Emily's house, but outside looked like 'Yale' - and if it was Yale, how does one swing throwing a private graduation party for just one grad on campus?

Just now, Kiki777 said:

I'm watching Unto the Breach now and this always bugged me: where is the locale of Rory's graduation party?  The interior looked like it could have been a room in Richard/Emily's house, but outside looked like 'Yale' - and if it was Yale, how does one swing throwing a private graduation party for just one grad on campus?

I didn't go to Yale, but we reserved the basement of the college church for a grad party for 3 of us.  So, you may be able to do it at Yale on a first come,first served, plus a pretty hefty fee at Yale, I would imagine.

43 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

I did a quick google search (LOL) and pulled up 2 - 3 dozen banquet rooms available to rent at Yale.  It wouldn't give me a cost without entering actual info, but I'm sure like any other venue, it's somewhat reasonable and it's not like R&E would have balked at any price anyway.

• Love 2

Here's what I don't get: why didn't Lorelei continue her education past the 7th month? Do US schools have legal right to expel pregnant students only for the pregnancy? Wouldn't that be grounds for a lawsuit? Couldn't she get home schooled after that or was that not doable in the 80s?

Also, the parents and baby daddy's family were superwealthy. Why couldn't they hire a nanny so Lorelei could use the year after the birth to keep studying? Was not hiring one a punishment or something?

2 hours ago, Eva Marie said:

Here's what I don't get: why didn't Lorelei continue her education past the 7th month? Do US schools have legal right to expel pregnant students only for the pregnancy? Wouldn't that be grounds for a lawsuit? Couldn't she get home schooled after that or was that not doable in the 80s?

Also, the parents and baby daddy's family were superwealthy. Why couldn't they hire a nanny so Lorelei could use the year after the birth to keep studying? Was not hiring one a punishment or something?

Lorelei went to a private school, so they can pretty much do what they want.  But, my guess is she made the decision because she didn't want to deal with all the mean girls (and boys).  Computers weren't as big back then so homeschooling was more of a challenge, but again, I think Lorelei didn't care much at that point.  Maybe the plan was to have her do her senior year the following year.  I don't remember anyone saying she stopped going to school at 7 months, but I'll take your word for it.  Rory's b-day is in October, so that would mean she only went a couple days of senior year.  if I had been in that situation, I think I would have preferred just to wait and do my senior year a year later.

As for the nanny, we don't know that they didn't hire one.  But, even if I had all the money in the world, I don't know that I would hire a nanny for my teenaged daughter.  She won't be able to afford one when she gets out on her own and she needs to learn to care for the baby herself.

Twice, when Lorelai was behind the counter at Luke's, or in the store room, he talked about insurance, and how she shouldn't be there. He never seemed to have that problem with Rachel. She took over for him, and told him to sleep in, when she first got back. 

On 11/27/2017 at 8:38 AM, Eva Marie said:

In the U.S., public high schools could and did expel pregnant students at will until 1972, with the coming of Title IX of the Education Amendments. Lorelei attended a private secondary school: I don't recall if she was a day student at Chilton, or boarded somewhere else. But the school could easily have expelled her for breaking its Code of Conduct, which both the student and parent(s) sign when the student enrolls.

About a nanny: yes but. I don't believe either set of grandparents were interested in helping their promising, sixteen-year-old, privileged (only?) child "ruin his/her life!" by become an unwed parent. For two wealthy and prestigious families, Lorelei's decision to have the baby, not surrender the baby, and not marry the father, was a distant fourth of the options.

So yes, I think you're right that hiring a nanny would have made sense, and not doing so was faintly punitive. Although. Emily couldn't bring herself to keep a maid from week to week. Deal with an infant and a nanny while Lorelei went back to school?   

15 hours ago, Anela said:

Twice, when Lorelai was behind the counter at Luke's, or in the store room, he talked about insurance, and how she shouldn't be there. He never seemed to have that problem with Rachel. She took over for him, and told him to sleep in, when she first got back. 

She also lived there. So she might be covered because of that? Maybe he put her on the official payroll when she moved in? Lorelai was clearly a customer, just wandering around back there. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Twice, when Lorelai was behind the counter at Luke's, or in the store room, he talked about insurance, and how she shouldn't be there.

I think it was more Luke's excuse for sending her to any area where she wouldn't annoy him!

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

She also lived there. So she might be covered because of that? Maybe he put her on the official payroll when she moved in? Lorelai was clearly a customer, just wandering around back there. 

She helped him when his uncle died, he didn't seem to be bothered then. I don't think she was on the payroll. 

• Love 2
On 11/29/2017 at 9:39 AM, Pallas said:

I don't believe either set of grandparents were interested in helping their promising, sixteen-year-old, privileged (only?) child "ruin his/her life!" by become an unwed parent.

That doesn't jibe with what we saw from Richard and Emily. They were perfectly willing to help Lorelai in whatever way she would let them. Richard said Chris and Lorelai would live there (perhaps in the pool house? although it's quite possible the pool house didn't exist until S5) and that Chris would work with him. Providing a job and shelter isn't nothing. Even Straub, who was more outspoken in his anger over the situation, questioned why Chris would work at Richard's company rather than his firm. So he was apparently willing to give Chris a job. Either job would enable Chris to provide. 

Lorelai's refusal to accept help is not the same as not being offered help. 

Leaving their kids to fend for themselves even though they have the means to help would be more true-to-life waspy. Not that ASP was ever going for that. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, nclpllm said:

That doesn't jibe with what we saw from Richard and Emily. They were perfectly willing to help Lorelai in whatever way she would let them.

Thank you for the reminder: you're absolutely right.  The Gilmores' reaction may not have been typical among their circle, nor of many other parents at that time and prior, but it's what the show established.

Did anyone mention the ~$75k Lorelai gets from Richard when her 'investment' is sold?

Seriously?  $75k is enough to pay off 3 years of private school AND buy an inn?  Really?!

That wouldn't even pay for 3 years private school here in Dallas...forget the northeast.

• Love 3