Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

On 7/27/2017 at 11:00 AM, nclpllm said:

I'

Taylor made an issue over the number of parking spots for the Dragonfly compared to the number of rooms. 10 rooms, which is more than the number of spots, I think. Where do all the employees park? And where is this parking lot? Do all guests (and employees) ride those golf cart things? 

Oh, yeah...and btw, even fully booked 365 days a year, there's no way that 10 rooms would pay for that many employees.  That always got me.  Bell boys and valets for a 10 room inn?  Yeeeaahhh...no.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, stan4 said:

Oh, yeah...and btw, even fully booked 365 days a year, there's no way that 10 rooms would pay for that many employees.  That always got me.  Bell boys and valets for a 10 room inn?  Yeeeaahhh...no.

Well, maybe they're charging $3000 a night.  They had horses, too.  Which I think it extremely idiotic for an inn in CT.  Not many people are going to want to ride in the winter, but the horses are still going to have to be fed.

It's a waste of time and energy to try and make sense of anything having to do with money and finances on this show - it's all about the plot line to be pursued. I do wonder if the horses were a nod to Lauren and her love of horses. Cletis showing up in the dining room always makes me laugh.

• Love 2

I really wouldn't care about continuity errors (and maybe in the end really don't) except for the fact that...don't they actually PAY someone to monitor and ensure continuity?!  That's an actual job.

3 minutes ago, stan4 said:

I really wouldn't care about continuity errors (and maybe in the end really don't) except for the fact that...don't they actually PAY someone to monitor and ensure continuity?!  That's an actual job.

I know there is such a job, so if they had one, either they were very bad at it, or, because ASP doesn't give a fuck - she ignored them. My money's on the latter.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I know there is such a job, so if they had one, either they were very bad at it, or, because ASP doesn't give a fuck - she ignored them. My money's on the latter.

I'd put a lot of money on that too. 

My nitpick for the day: The name of Jason's dog, Cyrus. I think they were mispronouncing Sirius. Lorelai, unimpressed, said, "the perfect name for a dog," possibly with an eye roll. This makes sense when the name means 'dog star' (recall that Sirius Black turns into a dog). A dog named dog isn't very original or creative (as opposed to, say, Paul Anka). King Cyrus founded the Persian Empire. Given the context of Lorelai's response, I've decided the dog's name was Sirius and they were saying it wrong. 

Strange, since the Palladino's are supposed to be oh so intelligent. 

Edited by nclpllm

This is revival nitpicking and I don't know if anyone has said anything about it yet, but that is NOT how the DAR works.

You don't apply like that Serena chick was doing.  You don't get bounced bc a bunch of hens are envious of your youth.

You have to have a relative that you can DOCUMENT was in the RW.

My wife's a member.  Says the whole depiction of it is asinine.

But I guess all they cared about was showing Emily swearing or whatever.

• Love 1

Well, the entire DAR story line was ludicrous even in the original recipe.  It's not a social club where they have afternoon cocktails and gossip.  And, yes, the whole point  of the stuff in the revival just seemed to be setting up Emily to go postal.

Ok.  Chilton.

Elite private, but those moron friends of Paris...

No, but no way Rory and Lorelai hadn't already been there, as they conduct student and family interviews, and usually have kids who are coming in non-expansion years do a shadow day with another student.  By the time my son was admitted to his elite private, we had been to the school 4 times (3 separate interviews), met tons of people, and knew our way around.

Also, how was it a surprise to Emily if the headmaster was such a good friend?  Who had just been at her house inhaling lobster puffs?

Also, have you noticed repeat little things?

Swan attacks, chow dogs, lacrosse, surly/snooty musicians, everyone sucking at golf...there are several more that I don't remember, but I have noticed over and over as I plow through the seasons.

• Love 2
On 1/29/2018 at 11:02 AM, nclpllm said:

I'd put a lot of money on that too. 

My nitpick for the day: The name of Jason's dog, Cyrus. I think they were mispronouncing Sirius. Lorelai, unimpressed, said, "the perfect name for a dog," possibly with an eye roll. This makes sense when the name means 'dog star' (recall that Sirius Black turns into a dog). A dog named dog isn't very original or creative (as opposed to, say, Paul Anka). King Cyrus founded the Persian Empire. Given the context of Lorelai's response, I've decided the dog's name was Sirius and they were saying it wrong. 

Strange, since the Palladino's are supposed to be oh so intelligent. 

I really don't think they were mispronouncing SIrius.  I think she was being sarcastic because Cyrus is so not a typical dog name.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, stan4 said:

I really don't think they were mispronouncing SIrius.  I think she was being sarcastic because Cyrus is so not a typical dog name.

That's what I think, too.  Even if we were going to go with the mistake theory, I think it would have had to have been a misspelling in the script. Because otherwise that would mean that Lauren Graham, the actor who played Jason AND the director, would all have thought Sirius was pronounced Cyrus for it go through. 

On 2/6/2018 at 8:29 AM, stan4 said:

Agreed. On both -- Cyrus is the name of my pet snake.

Did anyone mention the ~$75k Lorelai gets from Richard when her 'investment' is sold?

Seriously?  $75k is enough to pay off 3 years of private school AND buy an inn?  Really?!

That wouldn't even pay for 3 years private school here in Dallas...forget the northeast.

In terms of the Inn, I presume Lorelai and Sookie just put a down payment on the property, they didn't buy the place outright. 

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

In terms of the Inn, I presume Lorelai and Sookie just put a down payment on the property, they didn't buy the place outright. 

I assumed so, as well, when they mentioned their plan was to break even in one year.

That it included the loan for the inn and renovations.  Still, high school at an elite private would eat that $75k with room to spare, and since she could not even afford a deposit for Chilton, I assume Lorelai wasn't counting on adding money from  savings.

Another nitpick...Luke talks about finally getting some help around the diner, but we see other folks working there prior to this announcement.

In S2E2, 12:58, I feel bad for the actor who will likely only be remembered for the giant sweat stain (was this intentional?)...we see this prominently in the 3 seconds he is seen wiping down the tables in the diner.

31 minutes ago, stan4 said:

That it included the loan for the inn and renovations.  Still, high school at an elite private would eat that $75k with room to spare, and since she could not even afford a deposit for Chilton, I assume Lorelai wasn't counting on adding money from  savings.

I just looked it up and I found something that said the average cost of private high school is $13,000 a year.  Chilton may have been above average, but it was also 15 years or so ago, so I'll just take that number.  That means that Lorelei would have owed her parents $39,000 for 3 years of Rory's school and had $35,000 left over for a down payment and $1,000 for shoes:)

• Love 2

Chilton is based on a very prestigious school, Choate Rosemary Hall. It is above average for tuition, most of the high quality prep schools in the NE are going to be well above the national average. A quick look on the internet states it was $23,000 a year in 2006.* I always assumed it was a very high priced school and that 75k would have covered 3 years tuition. 

* That was the tuition for their day school, not boarding.

edited to add, it is $43,500 a year now!

Edited by CheeseBurgh
  • Love 1

Here's a very random nitpick (it's amazing what you think about when you're sick and up all hours of the night, heh) --

LORELAI: Trust me, it's fast. What do you think of your life so far?
RORY: I think it's pretty good.
LORELAI: Any complaints?
RORY: I'd like that whole humidity thing to go away.

Does it really get all that humid in Connecticut?  Try living south of the Mason-Dixon Line, girlfriend.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, CheeseBurgh said:

Chilton is based on a very prestigious school, Choate Rosemary Hall. It is above average for tuition, most of the high quality prep schools in the NE are going to be well above the national average. A quick look on the internet states it was $23,000 a year in 2006.* I always assumed it was a very high priced school and that 75k would have covered 3 years tuition. 

Yes.

The average is based on all schools, including religious schools who tend to have lower tuition.

Elite privates in the Dallas area go over $30k a year for high school.  There are cheaper private schools here, but they are not any better (and often inferior) to the excellent local public schools.

Katy makes a good point about it being 15 years ago, dropping that number to ~$20k.

Even if she had all $75k, though, given she could not even get a loan for $15k to fix her house, I don't get how she swung the dilapidated inn.

• Love 1
On 08/02/2018 at 9:02 AM, Taryn74 said:

Here's a very random nitpick (it's amazing what you think about when you're sick and up all hours of the night, heh) --

Does it really get all that humid in Connecticut?  Try living south of the Mason-Dixon Line, girlfriend.

Dunno why, but your comment made me literally LOL!

Better yet... try living in one of the southern islands of the Caribbean! ??‍♀️

• Love 1
On 2/8/2018 at 4:10 AM, CheeseBurgh said:

Yes.

The average is based on all schools, including religious schools who tend to have lower tuition.

Elite privates in the Dallas area go over $30k a year for high school.  There are cheaper private schools here, but they are not any better (and often inferior) to the excellent local public schools.

Katy makes a good point about it being 15 years ago, dropping that number to ~$20k.

Even if she had all $75k, though, given she could not even get a loan for $15k to fix her house, I don't get how she swung the dilapidated inn.

Based on Kirk's math on the polling for Taylor vs Jackson, the population of Stars Hollow is 6666.7.

OK, this isn't really a nitpick but I just had to share it.

I have GG on at lunchtime (mostly to avoid the indigestion brought on by the news) and today Application Anxiety was playing.  I had closed captioning on and when Other Daughter talks about her siblings and the Ivy League, it shows up on the captioning as I.V. leak.  Somehow that cracked me up. 

Obviously I lead a dull life.

• Love 5

The Reigning Lorelai has a super messed up timeline.  The day they discovered Trix was dead, there was already time for the newspaper to have published an obituary, but there hadn't been enough time for Rory to be notified.  Lorelai left the inn meeting to call Rory and do stuff for the funeral, but then when she got to the Gilmore house with soup, Sookie hadn't been called yet.  

On 2/7/2018 at 11:37 AM, Rachel81 said:

Agreed. On both -- Cyrus is the name of my pet snake.

Cool!  What kind of snake?

More repeat stuff:  poor mail delivery, making fun of Star Trek, golf "spoiling a good walk," etc.

Rory goes golfing bc she is supposed to pick a sport to play at Chilton.  Then the next season, Emily asks her if they do any kind of P.E. at school.

Lorelai is the best and brightest of her class but doesn't know how to use the word "ubiquitous" in her mid-30s.

Rory at Yale (or Harvard).  Problematic in many ways as she is not nearly as accomplished as many people I know who went to those schools or even some who were not offered a place.  And then she can't handle 5 courses (but then later finishes 4 years' work in 3.5 while being super-involved with the paper, having a boyfriend, etc).

In Tick, Tick..., Lorelai cannot leave the disaster dinner party bc her car is blocked in.  But Digger's parents and Rory (the only 2 who could have arrived after her) have already left.

At the end of TTTB, Richard hits a drive all of 30 yards, and Lloyd tells him he hit a great shot.  ?

Edited by stan4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, stan4 said:

At the end of TTTB, Richard hits a drive all of 30 yards, and Lloyd tells him he hit a great shot.  ?

All valid nitpicks, but this one just made me legit LOL.  Richard Gilmore, golfer extraordinaire.  

• Love 3
On 9/16/2014 at 11:27 AM, lulu1960 said:

I think they continued to say that Luke knew her when she was 10. Caterpillar funeral with fairy wings. Sookie also said that Lorelai didn't really know Luke that well till she moved to the Crap Shack. But that in itself is odd to me

In season 5, Luke said the first time they met was 8 years ago (how long he had the horoscope).

That would make Rory 12 when they met.

Since Rory said that she had not missed a Starlight Festival since she was 1, that means they lived in SH 11 years without ever hitting a major town institution like Luke's?

Huge continuity issue in my book.

Edited by stan4
  • Love 6
On 2/14/2018 at 5:21 AM, stan4 said:

Cool!  What kind of snake?

More repeat stuff:  poor mail delivery, making fun of Star Trek, golf "spoiling a good walk," etc.

Rory goes golfing bc she is supposed to pick a sport to play at Chilton.  Then the next season, Emily asks her if they do any kind of P.E. at school.

Lorelai is the best and brightest of her class but doesn't know how to use the word "ubiquitous" in her mid-30s.

Rory at Yale (or Harvard).  Problematic in many ways as she is not nearly as accomplished as many people I know who went to those schools or even some who were not offered a place.  And then she can't handle 5 courses (but then later finishes 4 years' work in 3.5 while being super-involved with the paper, having a boyfriend, etc).

In Tick, Tick..., Lorelai cannot leave the disaster dinner party bc her car is blocked in.  But Digger's parents and Rory (the only 2 who could have arrived after her) have already left.

Ball python.

The show also repeatedly denigrates stew. What's wrong with stew!? Both Richard and Rory love pot roast, which is fine, but it's not OK for anyone to like stew, which is essentially just pot roast in a thick broth.

Neither Lorelai nor Rory seem to have proper command of the English language, despite the show constantly telling us how brilliant they are. They constantly misuse good vs well, which drives me up a wall!

Lately, more often than not, when I turn on GG, I groan, "Ugh. This episode annoys me." and turn it right back off. In addition to all their personality flaws, I find it harder to also ignore all the things we pick apart in this thread.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Rachel81 said:

Lately, more often than not, when I turn on GG, I groan, "Ugh. This episode annoys me." and turn it right back off. In addition to all their personality flaws, I find it harder to also ignore all the things we pick apart in this thread.

I feel the same way. My DVR is set to record it but 9 times out of 10 I delete it without watching it.  It's getting harder to find the funny.

46 minutes ago, Rachel81 said:

I haven't gotten there yet, but what the heck is with the people who wrote this show not seeming to understand how pregnancy works?  The timeline, symptoms, when tests will be positive...no way Lane knew as soon as she did ,and even the 'doctor' gave the wrong info when Lorelai ate an apple.

So the Dragonfly has 10 rooms...but Richard and Emily get put in room 12?  Huh?

Edited by stan4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Rachel81 said:

The show also repeatedly denigrates stew. What's wrong with stew!? Both Richard and Rory love pot roast, which is fine, but it's not OK for anyone to like stew, which is essentially just pot roast in a thick broth.

Ha ha ha yes!  I love stew!

• Love 1
On 2/9/2018 at 10:28 PM, stan4 said:

Yes.

Based on Kirk's math on the polling for Taylor vs Jackson, the population of Stars Hollow is 6666.7.

The pricing always bothered me, too.  I am going to use Hockaday School in Dallas because it is the elite private I am most familiar with. It costs $32,000 per year for day students before books.  I would think Chilton would be on the same level, if not higher when you consider the higher cost of living in Connecticut versus Texas. I just struggle with the idea that Lorelai would be able to pay back 3 years of tuition (plus interest, right? I thought she mentioned interest) and still had money left to buy and Inn.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

(plus interest, right? I thought she mentioned interest)

I don't think there was interest.  I think Rory was talking about interest for her college loan (although I don't remember where they landed on that), but I think Lorelei's was just a straight repayment.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:36 PM, stan4 said:

I haven't gotten there yet, but what the heck is with the people who wrote this show not seeming to understand how pregnancy works?  The timeline, symptoms, when tests will be positive...no way Lane knew as soon as she did ,and even the 'doctor' gave the wrong info when Lorelai ate an apple.

So the Dragonfly has 10 rooms...but Richard and Emily get put in room 12?  Huh?

They have a separate room that is in its own cottage.  I guess they skipped 11 though.

Kiss and Tell...Luke yells about the lack of tip.

Season 5 Luke gives a speech about how she didn't need to tip the whole time bc he was the proprietor.

On 2/19/2018 at 6:37 PM, blueray said:

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:56 AM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

The pricing always bothered me, too.  I am going to use Hockaday School in Dallas because it is the elite private I am most familiar with. It costs $32,000 per year for day students before books.  I would think Chilton would be on the same level, if not higher when you consider the higher cost of living in Connecticut versus Texas. I just struggle with the idea that Lorelai would be able to pay back 3 years of tuition (plus interest, right? I thought she mentioned interest) and still had money left to buy and Inn.

I always assumed Chilton was $50K a year.  In season one when Lorelai called to ask if she had to pay it up front, she said "there are a lot of zeros behind that five."  So the money from Richard should have only been able to pay for about half of what she owed her parents, if she used all of it. 

Here's something that bugs me every time I see it: in the episode (season 5?) where Lorelai gets into a "fight" with snow, at the end of the day she is in the kitchen putting out pans to collect water that is presumably coming from her roof, which is leaking because of the evil snow.  Since Lorelai's bedroom is on the upper floor directly under the roof, it seems as though it would be prudent to collect the water up there, rather than allowing it to drip through the floor into the kitchen. 

• Love 5

I don't know that this is really a nitpick, but it drives me crazy that Lorelai's teenage years are all over the place depending on what point the scene/episode is trying to get across.

In Christopher Returns and DEaR, especially, it seems that Christopher and Lorelai were an exclusive, steady couple for quite a while before she got pregnant.  There's plenty of stories which indicate they were each other's 'one & only' for a couple of years at least.

But any time Lorelai is telling a story from her teenage years which does NOT include Christopher, she makes it sound like she was a wild party animal, bouncing from guy to guy, she drank/partied a lot, etc.  According to her stories, she pretty much was what we saw with Madeline & Louise.

Lorelai was FIFTEEN when she got pregnant, and there was never any indication by anyone other than Straub that there was a question who the father of the baby might be.  Are we really supposed to assume that she was running around with all these guys, partying and getting drunk, when she was like 12?  13?  And then had "settled down" with Chris by 14/15?  Come on.

Something just doesn't add up.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

I don't know that this is really a nitpick, but it drives me crazy that Lorelai's teenage years are all over the place depending on what point the scene/episode is trying to get across.

In Christopher Returns and DEaR, especially, it seems that Christopher and Lorelai were an exclusive, steady couple for quite a while before she got pregnant.  There's plenty of stories which indicate they were each other's 'one & only' for a couple of years at least.

But any time Lorelai is telling a story from her teenage years which does NOT include Christopher, she makes it sound like she was a wild party animal, bouncing from guy to guy, she drank/partied a lot, etc.  According to her stories, she pretty much was what we saw with Madeline & Louise.

Lorelai was FIFTEEN when she got pregnant, and there was never any indication by anyone other than Straub that there was a question who the father of the baby might be.  Are we really supposed to assume that she was running around with all these guys, partying and getting drunk, when she was like 12?  13?  And then had "settled down" with Chris by 14/15?  Come on.

Even in the Gilmore Girl Neflix revival, when she was drunk talking about how the "ship had sailed" on her virginity it added even more to the confusion. Since she admitted and even Chris in Spring said that Lorelai had dated others before him. That is a very small window. 

• Love 1

Yes, her stories of camp with Digger also were confusing. They didn’t seem like stories of 13/14 year olds.

2 hours ago, deaja said:

Yes, her stories of camp with Digger also were confusing. They didn’t seem like stories of 13/14 year olds.

Exactly, came more off like teens in the 16-17 range. 

• Love 2
On 3/2/2018 at 8:34 AM, steff13 said:

I always assumed Chilton was $50K a year.  In season one when Lorelai called to ask if she had to pay it up front, she said "there are a lot of zeros behind that five."  So the money from Richard should have only been able to pay for about half of what she owed her parents, if she used all of it. 

That was the deposit, which I assumed was $5k. Makes more sense and is in line with my experience.

Ok, another writer nitpick:

Well...

Many, many times, some character says, "Well..." and is interrupted by the other character they are talking with.

Multiple characters.  Which is annoying, bc the timing and inflection of these *wells* are usually terrible.  And most people don't speak the same.  But apparently everyone in GG world starts of explanations with "Well..."

It's really bad.  The timing is almost always off.  Like you can tell it's a scripted word instead of an interrupted thought.

3 hours ago, stan4 said:

Many, many times, some character says, "Well..." and is interrupted by the other character they are talking with.

Multiple characters.  Which is annoying, bc the timing and inflection of these *wells* are usually terrible.  And most people don't speak the same.  But apparently everyone in GG world starts of explanations with "Well..."

Every character also expresses frustration with another character (usually, but not always, Kirk) by using their name at the end of every sentence. 

Kirk: *obnoxious statement*

Any Other Character: Got it, Kirk. 

Kirk: *continues*

AOC: Okay, Kirk. 

Kirk: *continued blasé blathering*

AOC: Sounds good, Kirk. 

Ad nauseum

If one person did it, that would be a character quirk. But it’s everybody. And not just with Kirk. Paris and Jess got a fair amount. 

• Love 1
On 3/2/2018 at 9:06 AM, Taryn74 said:

I was thinking the same thing, especially after the revival. The more backstory details they mention, the less attached Lorelai and Chris seem to be were when they were young. I thought they were childhood sweathearts or something. Her stories sound like she was pretty casual with several guys when she was really young. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, nclpllm said:

I was thinking the same thing, especially after the revival. The more backstory details they mention, the less attached Lorelai and Chris seem to be were when they were young. I thought they were childhood sweathearts or something. Her stories sound like she was pretty casual with several guys when she was really young. 

I wonder if they ever got a paternity test done.  

When Lorelai and Luke first got together, Luke immediately had to leave to help Liz and TJ because they had broken an arm and a leg each.   He left Lorelai a message about it.  Upon returning his call, Lorelai didn't bother to enquire about what happened to Liz and TJ.  I know Lorelai is self-absorbed, but damn, your newly-minted boyfriend's sister and BIL are injured and you don't bother to ask what happened?

In the episode when Luke and Lorelai get back together, Kirk expresses to Luke that he wants to have a relationship with Lulu with "sleepovers," but he can't because his mother is allergic to Lulu.  Why can't he sleep over with Lulu?  She's an adult with a job, she probably also has a place to live.  

• Love 2