Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

My college you had about a week to drop for a refund, but until the middle of the semester to drop without flunking. No refund and no credit, but no grade. It was usually just after midterms. 

On 5/30/2018 at 7:09 AM, stan4 said:

Once I had kids, I completely closed the door on any understanding of why someone wouldn't fight or move heaven and earth to be with their kids as much as possible.

I agree, and this is the main reason I had so much trouble with Lorelai marrying Christopher.  Would she date him?  Sure.  I just can't see her marrying the man who treated Rory so badly in the past.

And another nitpick from French Twist, said by the girl who was raised by Emily and Richard Gilmore--

LORELAI: You totally bribed them to open.
CHRISTOPHER: Not bribed -- gave financial incentive.
LORELAI: Oh, my god!
CHRISTOPHER: [Chuckles] I know.
LORELAI: You totally bribed them to open!
CHRISTOPHER: You don't have to whisper. Everybody here knows.
LORELAI: [Chuckles] I just can't believe that people really...do this.
CHRISTOPHER: Apparently.
LORELAI: Cool!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, tarotx said:

Here's what the Yale website says but I don't know if it was the same back in early 2004 (didn't see this linked. Sorry if it's a repost). 

http://catalog.yale.edu/ycps/academic-regulations/withdrawal-from-courses/

So, it looks to be about 3 weeks there.  It seems like they were further than 3 weeks into the semester, but, who knows

7 hours ago, shron17 said:

I agree, and this is the main reason I had so much trouble with Lorelai marrying Christopher.  Would she date him?  Sure.  I just can't see her marrying the man who treated Rory so badly in the past.

That makes no sense.  If she would shun marrying him because she's mad at him about Rory, why would she date him?

51 minutes ago, Katy M said:

If she would shun marrying him because she's mad at him about Rory, why would she date him?

It's about trust.  When you marry someone you're in a sense trusting them with your future.  I can see her dating him since that attraction was there, but can't see her ever trusting him enough to marry him.

22 minutes ago, shron17 said:

It's about trust.  When you marry someone you're in a sense trusting them with your future.  I can see her dating him since that attraction was there, but can't see her ever trusting him enough to marry him.

But, what's the point of dating someone if you're not going to marry them?  LIke it's not even a possibility?  Ever?  And why would you even date someone you don't trust?

6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, what's the point of dating someone if you're not going to marry them? 

Don't people sometimes date someone to figure out if you would want to marry them?  Or, sometimes date but not want to get married at all?  But Lorelai already knows Christopher, so I see what you're getting at.  A lot of people probably wouldn't date an ex that they already know they wouldn't marry.  I think Lorelai isn't always very clear about her feelings though, and could see her feeling attracted to Chris when he talks about how she's the one for him, and not realizing until the subject of marriage comes up that she could never trust him enough to marry him.

Especially in that episode when they start dating. Chris wants to have sex with Lorelai but she says no because she doesn't trust him yet. And then they bail her mother out of prison, and they have sex. And then the relationship is a go. There are no more hurdles until they have the fight and get divorced. 

For a woman who wanted to be so independent that she uprooted her 1yo child when she was 17 to go live in a shed and work as a maid, she makes her all decisions depending on her parents', and especially her mother's actions and potential reactions.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Anela said:

I thought the flowers were romantic, and what he said over the phone. It was all too rushed, though. 

The weird thing is that Lorelai said that a proposal shouldn't be rushed and should be thought out with a thousand daisies. So Max went and put together a good enough plan with flowers and sweet words (I'm not a fan of daisies put she picked the flower), but asked her to marry him OVER THE PHONE? Who does that? Order 1000 flowers to seduce the woman you love but don't get up from your couch to ask her to marry you? Dude...

Edited by marineg
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, marineg said:

The weird thing is that Lorelai said that a proposal shouldn't be rushed and should be thought out with a thousand daisies. So Max went and put together a good enough plan with flowers and sweet words (I'm not a fan of daisies put she picked the flower), but asked her to marry him OVER THE PHONE? Who does that? Order 1000 flowers to seduce the woman you love but don't get up from your couch to ask her to marry you? Dude...

haha! Yeah, that doesn't make sense. It was slightly better than the proposal to end an argument, though. :) I always thought he was just too overwhelming, too rushed/pushy. He was kind of like her "Dean". 

16 minutes ago, marineg said:

To be fair, this was before DVRs. A good tv show may have been coming on and he didn’t want to rely on his VCR.

10 hours ago, deaja said:

To be fair, this was before DVRs. A good tv show may have been coming on and he didn’t want to rely on his VCR.

I get that. I'm never too far away from my computer myself. But I hope I would step away long enough to ask someone to marry me. I'm old-fashioned that way!

• Love 1
(edited)

This is super nitpicky, but in ‘Rory's Birthday Parties’ I thought that Lorelai’a gift suggestions to Emily were bizarre, what exactly is it about a weird bag shaped like a guitar that screams Rory? Lorelai immediately shoots down Emily’s suggestions of pearls as ridiculous, but isn’t expensive jewellery a pretty typical gift for a 16th birthday? The gift choice they eventually settle on (cheap plastic bracelet that lights up, but Lorelai suggests Rory will love it because it looks like something you’d buy at a car wash) is a pretty damn cheap present from your grandmother for your 16th birthday! I’m sure Rory would have preferred something a little more elegant than that at her age, Lorelai’s suggestions seem more fitting for a ten year old... We’re obviously supposed to see the gift-buying scene as Emily being the one who is out of touch with what Rory would like, suggesting gifts that are too fussy and old for her, but Lorelai’s suggestions go to the other extreme imo with seeming too childish and tacky, a $12 plastic bracelet is hardly suitable for a big birthday milestone 

And note that for all of Lorelai’s protests on Emily needing to focus less on how much she spends, Rory won’t care, she herself buys Rory a very fancy Apple laptop for her own gift (and plays it off with a self-deprecating joke when Rory appreciatively exclaims over how much she must have spend on it.)

Edited by Frelling Tralk
  • Love 7
39 minutes ago, Frelling Tralk said:

This is super nitpicky, but in ‘Rory's Birthday Parties’ I thought that Lorelai’a gift suggestions to Emily were bizarre, what exactly is it about a weird bag shaped like a guitar that screams Rory? Lorelai immediately shoots down Emily’s suggestions of pearls as ridiculous, but isn’t expensive jewellery a pretty typical gift for a 16th birthday? The gift choice they eventually settle on (cheap plastic bracelet that lights up, but Lorelai suggests Rory will love it because it looks like something you’d buy at a car wash) is a pretty damn cheap present from your grandmother for your 16th birthday! I’m sure Rory would have preferred something a little more elegant than that at her age, Lorelai’s suggestions seem more fitting for a ten year old... We’re obviously supposed to see the gift-buying scene as Emily being the one who is out of touch with what Rory would like, suggesting gifts that are too fussy and old for her, but Lorelai’s suggestions go to the other extreme imo with seeming too childish and tacky, a $12 plastic bracelet is hardly suitable for a big birthday milestone 

And note that for all of Lorelai’s protests on Emily needing to focus less on how much she spends, Rory won’t care, she herself buys Rory a very fancy Apple laptop for her own gift (and plays it off with a self-deprecating joke when Rory exclaims over how much she must have spend on it.)

I'm not sure how Rory would have felt about the pearls, but I'm sure she would have taken great care of that $200 pen (plus there were loads of gifts from that first birthday party.  She was going to need a pretty heavy duty pen for all that thank you note writing). If Lorelai wanted Emily to spend less than $50  a book would have been great.  Something a bit fancier, that Rory probably would have loved would have been an engraved leatherbound journal.  We never see that bracelet again.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Frelling Tralk said:

And note that for all of Lorelai’s protests on Emily needing to focus less on how much she spends, Rory won’t care, she herself buys Rory a very fancy Apple laptop for her own gift (and plays it off with a self-deprecating joke when Rory appreciatively exclaims over how much she must have spend on it.)

This is the reason that I think Lorelai played her mother on this gift thing. She also really tried to empathize with Emily on this, but she knew all along about the laptop. Lorelai had lots of conflicting feelings that she acted on in her life, but this was a real “Emily” move. 

And i won’t start a thread on how the $1600 she spent on the laptop could have made a dent in her debt to her parents. Because, well, Gilmore economics.

• Love 3

We never see that computer again. Isn't that weird? At the time, it would have the coolest thing a teenager could own. They were one of the first laptops. For a teenager to have one would have been the coolest thing to happen in SH. 

Also, I was with Emily on the gift thing. Maybe the pearls or whatever were not appropriate, but neither were the plastic bracelets (that we never saw her wear again) or the guitar bag. She never wore stuff like that. Lorelai did. Maybe she was hoping to steal them from Rory. But the Mont-Blanc pen was so cool. When I was 17, my grandparents got one for each of their grandchildren. I used it everyday, and I still have it. That's a cool thing, especially since she loved school, reading and writing... she would have made use of it. She was just starting school with a bunch of rich kids, she wouldn't exactly be out of place with her pen. Or even a book, or collection of books. Like leather-bound books or old books...

• Love 6
4 hours ago, junienmomo said:

This is the reason that I think Lorelai played her mother on this gift thing. She also really tried to empathize with Emily on this, but she knew all along about the laptop. Lorelai had lots of conflicting feelings that she acted on in her life, but this was a real “Emily” move. 

And i won’t start a thread on how the $1600 she spent on the laptop could have made a dent in her debt to her parents. Because, well, Gilmore economics.

I was about to say that I almost wondered if Lorelai was subconsciously sabotaging Emily lol, just because she wanted to make sure that her own gift wasn’t going to be overshadowed! Lorelai even smiles and shakes her head to say that her mother definitely shouldn’t spend any more when Emily protests that she has to at least buy something else to go with the bracelet, and yet Lorelai’s own gift for Rory cost well over $1000 hmm. 

Still the scene doesn’t play out as Lorelai being shady and trying to undercut Emily, rather she seems totally genuine in her advice and really trying to help her mother understand Rory better, so that couldn’t have been Amy’s intention I guess. But I agree that Lorelai could have easily suggested something to do with books and reading that had more to do with who Rory was, and Emily’s fancy pen wasn’t a completely terrible idea either imo, not in comparison to all of the cheap silly gifts that Lorelai was coming up with that just seemed seemed like joke presents that she and Rory would pick out together on a trip to the mall or something, not anything that she actually wanted. Heck it was only in a few episodes time that Rory was getting incredibly excited and hopeful about the possibility of Christopher buying her a very expensive collection of encyclopaedias, that was a gift that could easily have come from her grandparents for her 16th birthday

• Love 4

I thought it was meant to be a “loosen up” type gift, but I think it would have been better if it was meant to go along with something that was actually more “Rory.” I thought the pen was the best of Emily’s ideas. 

I know Richard gave her money so it wasn’t just a tacky bracelet, but a physical gift would have been nice too.

I think they were still trying to make Rory Lorelai's Mini-me at this point in the series.  Problem is that Alexis could never pull it off and they eventually realized it and moved away from that (sans pop culture references).  But, at this point it was still in play so I think Lorelai was being genuine with regard to her suggestions.  Also, we later see Rory wearing the silly tiara and boas at her party, both of which went perfectly with the bracelets Emily bought her, so I think that was a visual cue that Lorelai right.  I agree that Lorelai wasn't trying to sabotage Emily (though that would be the case if this were a later season episode) and the computer is actually my biggest evidence to support this.  Lorelai never expected Emily and Richard to be at the Stars Hollow party and that's where she intended to give Rory the computer.  If she really wanted to undercut Emily she'd have given her the computer at the Friday party.  Again, in later seasons I think it would have been sabotage and would have played out as a reason to make Lorelai and Emily fight, but not at this point in the series. 

• Love 3

I agree that at this point in the series, they meant the bracelet and guitar purse to be something that actually was very "Rory", even though it really wasn't.  (And I'm glad they eventually gave up on trying to make Rory be Lorelai's mini-me in every way.)  But I still cringe at the thought of Emily & Richard having to give Rory those tacky, cheap gifts for her 16th birthday in front of their friends and the Chilton snobs.  Way to make sure your daughter never fits in at school, Lor.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

I still cringe at the thought of Emily & Richard having to give Rory those tacky, cheap gifts for her 16th birthday in front of their friends and the Chilton snobs.  Way to make sure your daughter never fits in at school, Lor.

Thinking about it, I think that was probably part of why Lorelai was so insistent on Emily needing to think smaller, because she didn’t want Rory to fit in with that world. Time and time again we saw that Lorelai was the only one that was really uncomfortable with the Gilmore way of life, while Rory herself was fine with it. I don’t think that Rory was intended to be that much of a mini-Lorelai and Alexis couldn’t pull it off, Rory’s characteristion was always as someone who was far more shy and bookish than her outgoing mother, they were never written as that similar other than their enjoyment in making fun of silly pop culture. Otherwise the only time we see Rory wearing a tiara and boa is at her 16th birthday party where she’s just being silly and having a good time among friends, but generally she did not dress that much like Lorelai early on that I would ever have thought the bracelet would be a perfect gift for her. She was mocked by Lorelai in the very first episode for the oversized sweater that she was wearing in fact, while Lorelai was more prone to wearing revealing shorts and juicy sweatpants early on, so their styles were always pretty different

I think it was more Lorelai projecting when it came to what Rory would actually like for her birthday, she wanted to keep Rory away from pearls and debutante balls, so from that perspective it makes sense that she immediately steered Emily away from any more fancy gift ideas and wanted to keep it small town and homey. I think that Lorelai did believe that she was being sincerely helpful in the shopping scene with her mother, but she was also very much staking her claim on just whose daughter Rory was. 

Rory would have likely been fine with it if her grandmother had gifted her with pearls for her 16th birthday IMO if the choice had been left up to her (or the fancy pen to take to Chilton for that matter), but in Lorelai’s mind at that time the pearls were a ridiculous idea because they wouldn’t fit in at Star Hollows at all, and Rory would never be going anywhere fancy enough to wear them, nor did she need a $200 pen to write with when that would be like saying that she fitted in with all the other rich and privileged Chilton students.

Edited by Frelling Tralk
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

I agree that at this point in the series, they meant the bracelet and guitar purse to be something that actually was very "Rory", even though it really wasn't.  (And I'm glad they eventually gave up on trying to make Rory be Lorelai's mini-me in every way.)  But I still cringe at the thought of Emily & Richard having to give Rory those tacky, cheap gifts for her 16th birthday in front of their friends and the Chilton snobs.  Way to make sure your daughter never fits in at school, Lor.

I don't think she actually opened any of the presents at the party.  They all seemed to be wrapped when Emily told someone to take them out to the jeep.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't think she actually opened any of the presents at the party.  They all seemed to be wrapped when Emily told someone to take them out to the jeep.

Ah, it's been a while since I watched!  Thanks for that clarification!  I just remember Rory showing Emily that she was wearing the bracelet at her SH party the next night and that got me to thinking about when would she have opened it, because she certainly wouldn't have opened it Friday night after the guests left (since they were in a fight by that time).

• Love 1

Hi, I live in Connecticut, and someone (a while ago) was speculating where Stars Hollow was placed in CT. They placed it where Meriden is (which is hilarious to me because I live in Meriden, and no), but I would say, from clues like it being close to Woodbridge and Woodbury, that they put it in place of Prospect https://goo.gl/maps/7gG5nnWVAZ52, except in Season 7, where Emily and Richard are trying to find New London (where I grew up) and instead got lost in Preston, which actually isn't that far off base, being still in Southeastern CT, and Lorelai accidentally invites them over because they're "right near" her. Look at a map writers, please! Also, I wish that we had seen, on screen, a discussion of Rory commuting from home vs living in a dorm, because she lives like a half hour drive from Yale, a very easy commuting distance and it would have saved them beaucoup bucks, and been a good excuse for them to still be involved in each others' lives. And being able to live at home is one of the pros stated by both Emily when they visit Yale, and Rory at that Thanksgiving dinner. Also, we say "anyway," not "anyhow" (a really overused word in the show) and we do not call Southern Connecticut State University "Southern Connecticut State," or "Connecticut State," we call it Southern or SCSU. We also have Eastern, Central, and Western. Also, by 2002, the Connecticut license plates were all converted to the new style of plate (even if you had an older car they re-issued your plate so everyone's looked the same). image.png.d3e60bc74d281ffc7c7970aee8d696f3.png

• Love 1

Tiny nitpick - I was watching the episode where Rory graduates from Chilton.  I always choke up.  :'(  

But, at the end, Richard and Emily led Rory out to the parking lot to see her graduation gift.  He says, "it's the one with the bow," not noticing that the lot is full of cars with bows.  When Emily points it out, he says, "well it was the only one there when I drove it up."  Cue Rory saying, incredulously, "you bought me a car?!"  

Now, of course the car was unexpected, but when they'd been standing there for two minutes discussing a parking lot full of vehicles with bows, it seem like she should have put two and two together and not been so incredulous.  It's not as though he bought her diamond earrings and left them in the parking lot with a bow. 

• Love 5

In The Lorelais First Day at Chilton where they are in the Headmaster’s office, Emily makes Lorelai take off her coat and Headmaster Charles said they got overzealous with the boiler that morning. Well, maybe not having a roaring fire going in the fireplace might help things too!

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Well, maybe not having a roaring fire going in the fireplace might help things too!

I wouldn't care if I melted into a pool of sweat. No way in hell I'd have taken off my coat dressed like that.  

But, of course, we needed the drama.

• Love 8

That whole scene was weird.  There were clothes in Lorelei's closet; there had to be something other than the rodeo cowgirl outfit she picked.  She and Rory frequently shared clothes, too, Rory was wearing a Chilton uniform so her entire wardrobe should have been at Lorelei's disposal.  

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, steff13 said:

That whole scene was weird.  There were clothes in Lorelei's closet; there had to be something other than the rodeo cowgirl outfit she picked.  She and Rory frequently shared clothes, too, Rory was wearing a Chilton uniform so her entire wardrobe should have been at Lorelei's disposal.  

Her pajamas probably would have been a better choice.

• Love 6

You know what bugs me the most about the whole rodeo outfit/take off your coat scene?  (Not really the most, but it does bug me lol.)  It's that they totally missed the opportunity for Emily to follow up "Lorelai, take off your coat and sit down. You don't want Hanlin to think you're rude" with "Lorelai, put your coat back on and sit down."  Kelly Bishop could have pulled that off with barely changing expression and a deadpan delivery that would have been comedy gold, especially with the "no spurs, please" line later.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, steff13 said:

Really the whole thing was ridiculously out of character, we never saw Lorelai dressing like that in any other episode, from the pilot it was established that she was professionally dressed for work, and she tended to wear jeans and t-shirts when she was dressed casually at home. I know they wanted to pick an extreme outfit for Lorelai to be wearing for the joke to work, but they could have at least given her the kind of tacky outfit that we could picture her character wearing at other times, those shorts were just not Lorelai 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Frelling Tralk said:

Really the whole thing was ridiculously out of character, we never saw Lorelai dressing like that in any other episode, from the pilot it was established that she was professionally dressed for work, and she tended to wear jeans and t-shirts when she was dressed casually at home. I know they wanted to pick an extreme outfit for Lorelai to be wearing for the joke to work, but they could have at least given her the kind of tacky outfit that we could picture her character wearing at other times, those shorts were just not Lorelai 

You don't take jeans to the dry-cleaners. So they should have been in the closet. If they wanted to make the joke realistic, they should have emptied her closet, and have Lorelai look through it, and through her drawers, trying to find something, and only finding the rodeo outfit and freaking out or something. Really follow through with he gag.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, marineg said:

You don't take jeans to the dry-cleaners. So they should have been in the closet. If they wanted to make the joke realistic, they should have emptied her closet, and have Lorelai look through it, and through her drawers, trying to find something, and only finding the rodeo outfit and freaking out or something. Really follow through with he gag.

Or have her skirt rip so that her underwear is showing, or her blouse lose a button so that her bra is showing.  After they leave the house, but they're running late so she can't do anything about it.  Both could happen to anyone, and both are embarrassing and non-Emily approved.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think the point was to show how Lorelai's "unique" style and being would clash with the school and embarrass Emily. I think the show went over the top sitcom with it but that is one of the issues Amy&Dan seemed to have from time to time. I always wish that Amy could have found a female partner who would understand what Amy wanted to do but be able to shape it to fit the drama aspects of the show better. These dramedies need to ground the sitcom humor better. I don't know exactly how to do it but the best humor of these shows prove it's more than doable. 

Edited by tarotx
Typos etcetera...
  • Love 6
On 8/5/2017 at 5:56 PM, andromeda331 said:

Has anyone been in similar houses that there was only one bedroom? Two stories but only one bedroom? 

Yes. A ton. It's called a 1.5 story house and they are everywhere around here.

57 minutes ago, tarotx said:

I think the point was to show how Lorelai's "unique" style and being would clash with the school and embarrass Emily.

Yes, but no. We never saw her wear anything of the kind. And Rory seems shocked to see her in those clothes. It's not a "Lorelai outfit." It's supposed to be a couple of items she had in her drawers that she hadn't see in years or something.

59 minutes ago, tarotx said:

I always wish that Amyy could have found a female partner who would understand what Amy wanted to do but be ab;e to shape it to fit the drama aspects of the show better. These dramedies need to ground the sitcom humor better. I don't know exactly how to do it but the best humor of these shows prove it's more than doable. 

Wouldn't that be the dream?

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, tarotx said:

I think the point was to show how Lorelai's "unique" style and being would clash with the school and embarrass Emily. I think they went over the top sitcom with it but that is one of the issues Amy&Dan seem to have from time to time. I always wish that Amyy could have found a female partner who would understand what Amy wanted to do but be ab;e to shape it to fit the drama aspects of the show better. These dramedies need to ground the sitcom humor better. I don't know exactly how to do it but the best humor of these shows prove it's more than doable. 

The show worked best when the situations felt true-to-life, both from the comedy and the drama side.  It would have been tons more amusing (and "real") if Lorelai had grabbed a t-shirt and jeans and realized after Rory said she had to go meet the Headmaster that not only was she wearing jeans, her t-shirt was totally inappropriate, or something like that.  Rhinestone penis, or 'gas, grass, or ass....nobody rides for free', or even Jess' "butt with two hands that are flipping me off" shirt.  Something that a person might actually grab without paying attention, until they realized just what they were wearing and how bad it was.

Edited by Taryn74
  • Love 8
(edited)
21 hours ago, steff13 said:

That is exactly why the scene is weird. Lorelai has a ton of clothes and she and Rory often share clothes. There's no way for that cowgirl outfit to have been the only thing left for her to wear. She easily could have found a bunch of different stuff or borrowed from her daughter.

19 hours ago, Frelling Tralk said:

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

Or have her skirt rip so that her underwear is showing, or her blouse lose a button so that her bra is showing.  After they leave the house, but they're running late so she can't do anything about it.  Both could happen to anyone, and both are embarrassing and non-Emily approved.

17 hours ago, tarotx said:

I think the point was to show how Lorelai's "unique" style and being would clash with the school and embarrass Emily. I think the show went over the top sitcom with it but that is one of the issues Amy&Dan seemed to have from time to time. I always wish that Amy could have found a female partner who would understand what Amy wanted to do but be able to shape it to fit the drama aspects of the show better. These dramedies need to ground the sitcom humor better. I don't know exactly how to do it but the best humor of these shows prove it's more than doable. 

16 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

The show worked best when the situations felt true-to-life, both from the comedy and the drama side.  It would have been tons more amusing (and "real") if Lorelai had grabbed a t-shirt and jeans and realized after Rory said she had to go meet the Headmaster that not only was she wearing jeans, her t-shirt was totally inappropriate, or something like that.  Rhinestone penis, or 'gas, grass, or ass....nobody rides for free', or even Jess' "butt with two hands that are flipping me off" shirt.  Something that a person might actually grab without paying attention, until they realized just what they were wearing and how bad it was.

It just wouldn't have been in character for her not to find anything else. Jeans and t-shirt? Blouses? Cute tops. She has a ton of clothes plus her daughter's to chose from. The other scenarios would have made more sense. Especially given what a rush they were in. If she just grabbed pants and top because they were very late. Or if she ripped her top or skirt after they left. She could have spilled coffee on her  and grabbed a shirt in the car. Like she did when to the parent teacher meeting and met Max. She spilled coffee on her shirt which was why she was wearing a B52s t-shirt. Maybe this time it was a inappropriate shirt that got left in there or a stack of clothes had in the back to take to Goodwill but since this was an emergency she had no choice but to wear something from it. There's a lot more ways that would have made more sense and Lorelai still could have embarrassed Emily. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Like she did when to the parent teacher meeting and met Max. She spilled coffee on her shirt which was why she was wearing a B52s t-shirt.

LOL. Maybe the writers had gotten feedback on the cowgirl outfit, and made sure when they used the same joke again, just a few episodes later, it would make sense.

Of course,  she did have to be beautiful enough to attract a teacher in the second case, instead of a horny dad who hit on her in a winter coat at the end of August or early September.

• Love 1

(moved from Unpopular Opinions)

What happened to the money in AYITL?

Lorelai wasn’t in a position to help Luke significantly if she couldn’t get a loan to open her spa. Thanks to Sookie’s flounce, the Dragonfly was not doing well. 

While I coundn't find the citation on Richard's bequest to Luke, I thought it  was significantly more than 50,000. In fact I thought it was like 400,000, but again no citation. You certainly can't build a new franchise on $50k. 

Where were bequests to Rory and Lorelai? I expect each of those to have been several multiples of Luke's bequest. 

Where was Luke's thriftiness? His diner was thriving as long as he kept the Wifi leeches out. April was not an elite high school person, so only public school fees. There was travel for him and April, but that's no budget buster. He spent eight years not saving for college after a lifetime of being a saver?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

Lorelai wasn’t in a position to help Luke significantly if she couldn’t get a loan to open her spa. Thanks to Sookie’s flounce, the Dragonfly was not doing well. 

While I coundn't find the citation on Richard's bequest to Luke, I thought it  was significantly more than 50,000. In fact I thought it was like 400,000, but again no citation. You certainly can't build a new franchise on $50k. 

Where were bequests to Rory and Lorelai? I expect each of those to have been several multiples of Luke's bequest. 

Where was Luke's thriftiness? His diner was thriving as long as he kept the Wifi leeches out. April was not an elite high school person, so only public school fees. There was travel for him and April, but that's no budget buster. He spent eight years not saving for college after a lifetime of being a saver?

I do think that it was only 50k left to Luke. But yes, wouldn't Rory and Lorelai inherit something? We know Richard had a will, hence the 50k for Luke, but why didn't he leave something for his daughter and granddaughter? And isn't it weird that he left money for his not-son-in-law to expand his business, but not to his own daughter, who has a successful business of her own? He did talk several times of how good the inn was doing, having her meet with someone so she could consult on other inns. He knew his daughter was a success. Why would he want Luke and his burgers to before a chain, but not Lorelai and her picturesque inns?

And yes, 50k is a drop in the bucket. If indeed he had left money to his daughter and granddaughter, as well as his wife, maybe he would have felt that 50k wouldn't rob his family, but still help Luke out. But we didn't see that.

For Luke, as he paid for about half of 4 years of college, meaning 2 years, as April went to MIT, it adds up to almost 150k. That's a bundle. Maybe a doesn't have a lot left after that. 

Still on the business of money. Rory. So there should be grandpa money she inherited, but we didn't see that. Also, her great-grandma, Lorelai 1st said that she had set up a trust fund for Rory when she turned 25. Yes, she wanted and then refused that Rory had it when she was 17, but she didn't say she would disinherit her completely. So there should be money from that as well. From the revival, it felt like she was more or less broke. At least, not living off off 2 trust funds.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

That's a good question. It makes no sense that Richard didn't leave either anything. He probably would have left money for Lorelai for her inn and Rory money and probably his book collection.  

• Love 1

Repeating myself for the umpteenth time, if you try and make sense of finances in ASP's Gilmore world, you'll make yourself crazy. She and the writers did whatever finance story worked for the plot du jour. She did the same thing on Bunheads.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Repeating myself for the umpteenth time, if you try and make sense of finances in ASP's Gilmore world, you'll make yourself crazy. She and the writers did whatever finance story worked for the plot du jour. She did the same thing on Bunheads.

Bunheads finances were so out there, I just wanted to go: "The Repo Men would be at your door every month." 

• Love 3

I’ve mostly blocked out the season of Bunheads that I watched before giving up, but I am unable to block out “bill paying month.”

On 6/13/2018 at 4:45 PM, chitowngirl said:

Humorous nitpick-in The Bracebridge Dinner, Mrs. Kim has everything she needs in her purse. “People have too much stuff!”, says the women who sells antiques (stuff!).

I still want to know how Mrs. Kim's antiques stayed in business all those years when her constant talk was: "You buy or you get out!" Usually having people just leave without buying ANYTHING!

• Love 2
On 6/13/2018 at 5:09 AM, junienmomo said:

I wondered about that, too. He once bought a building that Taylor owned, or was in charge of. How did he just do that? He loaned Lorelai $30,000, for the inn. Did she ever pay him back? Would he have expected it, since they were in a relationship? It was $30,000, right?

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Anela said:

I wondered about that, too. He once bought a building that Taylor owned, or was in charge of. How did he just do that? He loaned Lorelai $30,000, for the inn. Did she ever pay him back? Would he have expected it, since they were in a relationship? It was $30,000, right?

He bought in as a silent partner/investor.  

• Love 3