Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

I'll be honest, I'm a little offended that Dean's typical jerky teenage behavior is being equated with something as insidious and destructive as actual partner abuse. I get that he isn't many people's favorite character, but that doesn't mean he was abusive. I mean, I highly dislike teen Jess, he was a rude, nasty little edgelord, but I can admit that I just didn't like him and little was going to change my personal bias against him. Still, I can recognize he wasn't a monster, just a huge, in some cases semi-justifiable asshole. 

I do think it's pretty interesting, though, that a rather static character like Dean can inspire so much debate and intense  emotions. 

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, HeySandyStrange said:

I'll be honest, I'm a little offended that Dean's typical jerky teenage behavior is being equated with something as insidious and destructive as actual partner abuse.

Ditto.  Again, he's a teenager "in love".  Hardly worthy of being assigned sociopathic tendencies.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Ditto.  Again, he's a teenager "in love".  Hardly worthy of being assigned sociopathic tendencies.

Also agree, Dean just lost IQ when they brought Jess in and then did horrible things to the character as season 3 marched on and then after the affair sent him off into the void of TV. AS-P could claim how much she loved actors from Jared to Milo and always gave them work when they were free to film. However, as much as they most likely enjoyed a paycheck. I would have liked one of them to say: "No, change this because this is so not me and then I'll do it." 

• Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I'd feel terrible if someone took the time to make a gift for me and I lost it. I still feel that way when someone puts time and effort into a home made gift - I consider it quite special and treat it accordingly. 

I agree, and think the key here is that Rory didn't even realize she wasn't wearing the bracelet until Dean pointed it out and so immediately felt guilty for not noticing. 

Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking that if someone were really emotionally abusive they would never let go of the relationship as easily as Dean did at the dance contest.  Wouldn't he have continued his manipulation by letting Rory know how horrible she was, that he was the best thing to ever happen to her, and how much worse off she would be if they broke up?

Edited by shron17
add
  • Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I believe "keeping an eye on Rory" is confirmation bias.  I see it as a boyfriend who is proud of his girlfriend and wants to see her in her element.

That’s not how it’s portrayed in the episode at all though, Dean specifically showed up to watch them rehearse after Tristan taunted him at the market about how he was going to be kissing Rory in the play. 

RORY: I'm really sorry I didn't tell you about this before, but Tristan… 

DEAN: Is playing Romeo to your Juliet. Yeah, I heard. 

RORY: But he wasn't even in our group at first, but then no one else wanted him, and then Paris moved the rehearsal spot to here, and she did it today and I didn't have time to tell you. 

DEAN: You and Tristan wind up thrown together a lot at that school. 

RORY: It's just a project, that's all, nothing more.

Yeah Tristan was being a jerk who enjoyed how easy it was to get a reaction out of Dean, but it was still over the top to show up to a school play rehearsal, not even the finished project, and make everyone uncomfortable with your presence. Rory kept coming up with silly excuses at first that made it obvious she was trying to politely say that she didn’t feel comfortable with him there (you’ll be bored, we don’t know our lines yet, wait to the night of the play or you’ll spoil it for yourself), and he *still* insisted he was going to watch, even though his girlfriend clearly didn’t want him there. He only eventually backs off at the rehearsal itself after Rory has to spell it out for him that, ‘I really need you to leave....The play is tomorrow, and it's fifty percent of my grade, and you standing there staring at Tristan, it's like a challenge or something.‘ 

And I wouldn’t say that Dean let go of the relationship easily, he spend months calling Rory’s house over and over again (20-30 times in one night was his record I believe!), hanging around outside her house to see if she was home and just not taking his calls, even having talks with her mother on whether she knew where Rory was. It came across that his outburst at the dance marathon was just a final straw kind of thing after months of trying to hang on to Rory, before finally realising that it wasn’t getting him anywhere when it was obvious that Rory would rather be with Jess. I don’t think that he was intentionally emotionally abusive at all, but I do think he had a very entitled and possessive attitude towards Rory. Certainly it wasn’t particularly healthy for Rory the people-pleaser to be dating someone who constantly made her feel like she just didn’t love him enough, and how could she not want to spend all of her time at his side 

Edited by Frelling Tralk
  • Love 4

I wouldn't go so far as to call Dean abusive, but I do think watching the Romeo and Juliet rehearsal was a lot more than "wanting to see his girlfriend in her element". I 100% got the impression that he was keeping an eye on her. He didn't trust her. I know he's just a teenage boy, but I'm not ready to let that excuse all of his neediness and obsessives. He was like that before Jess came on the scene. He would get irritated if Rory wanted to do school work instead of hanging out with him. I don't think he's an abuser or a horrible person,but he's kind of jerk, if you ask me. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think he was intentionally emotionally abusive either. 

You talk about me having confirmation bias and applying whatever situation I can find to my theory, but you guys keep shrugging off his behaviour because "he's 16 and in love." That is no excuse for his behaviour. Again, I don't think it was intentional but on a young girl, that can be destructive. He made Rory feel like she was never enough, that she didn't love him enough. Every single person around her kept telling her he was perfect. So every time they had a fight or a disagreement, it made her feel like she was in the wrong, that he could do no wrong.

And he was forceful during that "missing bracelet" conversation. Like her taking it off meant something more than it was. And yes, I also care about gifts and handmade gifts from loved ones. But if I made someone something, and they lost it, I wouldn't be mad. Especially considering that she wore it for over a year and loved it. Her losing it is in no way a reflection of their relationship.

And again he was forceful about the school play rehearsal. He insisted and insisted until he made Rory feel like if she didn't let him, it meant she was hiding something wrong. Yes, she was hiding the fact that she kissed Tristan, but they were broken up. She was so afraid of telling him because she knew he would get mad. Like he got mad that Tristan was in the play or that she got into an accident with Jess. He was highly possessive.

Edited by marineg
  • Love 4
(edited)
22 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I thought Dean's mother had a job, medical transcription or something? Of course, his Dad at one point sold stereo equipment or something and later worked for the forest service.

Neither of those jobs for his Dad made sense. Who moves from Chicago to a small town in CT to sell stereo systems? I suppose the forest job makes a bit more sense because of their last name! They also had a gorgeous home that did not equal that income.

I think Dean was written as borderline stalkish and a wee bit verbally abusive. I believe that equals romance and love to the Palladinos, they are not good at writing relationships. Amy always talks about how she wrote Dean to be the perfect first boyfriend. 

It is a fun show with some serious writing problems.

Edited by CheeseBurgh
  • Love 5
(edited)

Soooo, if we can construe some of Dean's least desirable behaviors as abusive, does that mean Jess was also abusive? Because imo he had quite a few aggressive moments in his relationships with most everyone on the show. How about Logan? Or hell, even Rory, she could (even as of the revival) be a real asshole in relationships, deceitful, manipulative, and selfish. I'm pretty sure if you want to, you could cast every characters' bad moments in the worst light possible. Hell, I've heard people say Emily and Mrs. Kim were abusive parents. I just think that's a little deep to go for a show that isn't all that serious. Anyway, agree to disagree and I'm going to jump off this merry go round. Who thought a flat character like Dean could be a catalyst for such an intense discussion lol. Guess he is useful for something;)

Edited by HeySandyStrange
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, HeySandyStrange said:

I just think that's a little deep to go for a show that isn't all that serious. Anyway, agree to disagree and I'm going to jump off this merry go round.

Yep, both Jess and Logan were just as manipulative and abusive ("Marry me right now or we're finished") in their own ways.  As was Christopher.

But these are, after all, fictional characters whose lives change at the whim of the writers.  You can read into it anything that floats your boat.

• Love 5
On 7/28/2018 at 10:15 PM, readster said:

Lindsay was not a character, she was a plot point. I mean after she saw Dean get into a fight with Jess at that party. What did she say to Dean? "You are not over her." Dean: "Yes, I am, I just don't like Jess or anyone getting hurt." Lindsay: "Prove it!" Dean: "Ummm... marry me." Lindsay: "AWESOME!" Seriously, it made no sense and how everyone was going: "Wow, great for them." They were together at that point what? 2 months and seniors in high school. I had 2 friends who got engaged at 19 and married at 21, but here is the thing. They had been together at that point almost 4 years. I know it was AS-P and her husband's plan to write off Jared for the McGayver relaunch that never happened, but what a very stupid way to write them off. I mean really, couldn't have just had them going off to college. Good reason why they be gone or just show up again later if the show didn't work out. Plus, how about how bad Jared's final appearance was as Dean before Super Natural became a hit. I mean he was telling Luke that Lorelai will never accept his life style because they are no bodies. Umm... what? 

Spot on, Readster!

Your plot description made me laugh, because it’s a great recycle of Max Medina and the “Who’s the guy with the toolbox?/Marry me to prove it” bit. 

I’m kinda on the fence about GG plots sometimes, because sometimes it feels like a recycle to have GG1 do the plot point followed by GG2 doing a very similar plot point. Other times it is what it should be: how does GG1 react when in the same situation that GG2 was in earlier. 

• Love 4
On 7/29/2018 at 8:31 AM, marineg said:

In what healthy relationship are you actually scared to tell your partner, the person you love, that you lost a bracelet he got you?

Part of a healthy relationship are both partners being healthy and open.  It's just as much a sign that Rory was afraid of any form of confrontation, even as simple as small hurt feelings or a slightly uncomfortable conversation. This is old-school Rory who still cared about other at times. She couldn't stand the thought of him or his family not liking her even after they broke up. She seemed to shy away from anything that would produce a negative emotional reaction in whomever she was interacting with at the time.  That goes back to her personality, not Dean's behavior.  

I think Season 4 and 5 Dean was terrible, but early Dean was flawed, but in what I think is a normal high-school romance way. 

I personally think we put more thought into character development than the writers did. There is very little nuance, growth or depth in any of the characters. I think it is strange for an otherwise well written show and sometimes drives me nuts!

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, stan4 said:

In case anyone cares, the Kropog thing is totally made up.

I wish the whole Kropog episode had been totally made up (shudder).  That's one vile hour.  My least favorite of the whole series - not counting the revival of which I hate every single second.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I wish the whole Kropog episode had been totally made up (shudder).  That's one vile hour.  My least favorite of the whole series - not counting the revival of which I hate every single second.

Dear God, the Musical is such a waste of money, time and lead to NOTHING! in Summer. Seriously, and then its: "Well we spent too much money on the Summer episode, and we couldn't do a really big wedding end for Luke and Lorelai." Yeah, here's a thought Hollywood, stop giving the Ps money. 

• Love 6

I like the parts of the episode where Emily is a total B to Lorelai.

Had a sidecar this evening, in fact.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, stan4 said:

I like the parts of the episode where Emily is a total B to Lorelai.

I enjoy those also.  Not really that I enjoy seeing Lorelai suffer, but wasn't sure what else she expected after saying "we're done" and then inviting herself back to Friday night dinner.  Though I also totally understand Lorelai's strong desire to be there when Logan first came to dinner as Rory's boyfriend.  It's one of those situations that shows both of their weaknesses, and even their family bond, in a weird sort of way.

• Love 1

I have a LOT of nitpicks when it comes to this show, but I think my biggest is in the Ballrooms and Biscotti episode. Why didn't Rory just tell Emily that she got her dates confused and that Lorelai was killing herself trying to get everything she needed for Yale the next day? Why did she 1. Let her Grandmother think her daughter was purposely avoiding her 2. Never once try to clear up the situation before or even during the insanely long "European" dinner Emily sprung on her 3. Not speak up and say that SHE had to go help her mom finish packing after dinner. None of that anger or bitterness between Emily and Lorelai had to happen that night, because as Emily so astutely pointed out, Rory was perfectly capable simply saying she couldn't stay, because she's not 4. But she didn't. Instead, like a 4 year old she called her mommy to come bail her out. 

How did anyone ever expect her to be a journalist? She couldn't even bring herself to speak up to say she had shit to do and her mom was handling all of her packing alone!

• Love 11
4 hours ago, MatildaMoody said:

I have a LOT of nitpicks when it comes to this show, but I think my biggest is in the Ballrooms and Biscotti episode. Why didn't Rory just tell Emily that she got her dates confused and that Lorelai was killing herself trying to get everything she needed for Yale the next day? Why did she 1. Let her Grandmother think her daughter was purposely avoiding her 2. Never once try to clear up the situation before or even during the insanely long "European" dinner Emily sprung on her 3. Not speak up and say that SHE had to go help her mom finish packing after dinner. None of that anger or bitterness between Emily and Lorelai had to happen that night, because as Emily so astutely pointed out, Rory was perfectly capable simply saying she couldn't stay, because she's not 4. But she didn't. Instead, like a 4 year old she called her mommy to come bail her out. 

How did anyone ever expect her to be a journalist? She couldn't even bring herself to speak up to say she had shit to do and her mom was handling all of her packing alone!

That does drive me crazy too. There's no reason for her not to tell Emily exactly why her mother wasn't there. Instead she lets her grandmother think Lorelai blew her off and then expects Mommy to come rescue. Which of course she does. 

• Love 1

Two new ones (for me):

When Rory first discovers Paris is her roommate at Yale, Paris says she "lost" her nanny.  Nanny had moved out west somewhere to start a restaurant.  Yet, when Paris returns to her dorm room and finds Doyle sick in her bed, Nanny comes to the rescue.  Did she fly back to CT, leaving her family and business, solely to care for Paris's undefined male sexual partner?  Seems unlikely. 

In the episode where Sookie gives birth to Martha, Lorelai thinks she's pregnant because she and Luke had unprotected sex - 2 days before.  I know it's been a while since she's had a child, but anyone with a basic grasp of biology ought to know that you can't know if you're pregnant after two days; the fertilized egg isn't likely to even be implanted in the uterus at that time.  And then she used her craving of orange soda and a moon pie as evidence she isn't pregnant.  Just silly for a woman in her mid to late 30s.   

• Love 4
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That does drive me crazy too. There's no reason for her not to tell Emily exactly why her mother wasn't there. Instead she lets her grandmother think Lorelai blew her off and then expects Mommy to come rescue. Which of course she does. 

Did you guys notice, though, how Emily said she knew it was their last night and that is why she was surprised Lorelai wasn't there?  Or how Lorelai didn't explain either?

That makes me think Rory must've said *something*.  Or it's just stupid writing again.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, steff13 said:

I know it's been a while since she's had a child, but anyone with a basic grasp of biology ought to know that you can't know if you're pregnant after two days; the fertilized egg isn't likely to even be implanted in the uterus at that time. 

And then accosts a random doctor to ask him about pregnancy tests.  Even when he tells her that she won't know for two weeks she continues to harass him about some other way to tell like some putting her in sort of machine.  I'm surprised he didn't send her to the psych ward.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

And then accosts a random doctor to ask him about pregnancy tests.  Even when he tells her that she won't know for two weeks she continues to harass him about some other way to tell like some putting her in sort of machine.  I'm surprised he didn't send her to the psych ward.

Exactly. Plus at that point in time, why would she panic? She is in a great relationship, her business is a success, she isn't that old. She comes across as: "Oh, no! My life is over unless I know RIGHT THIS MINUTE!"

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, readster said:

Exactly. Plus at that point in time, why would she panic? She is in a great relationship, her business is a success, she isn't that old. She comes across as: "Oh, no! My life is over unless I know RIGHT THIS MINUTE!"

True.  She said a couple times in the series she wanted another kid, so that isn't an issue, and even if she and Luke didn't work out, the chances that she would be left raising the baby alone are roughly 0.0%. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, steff13 said:

Two new ones (for me):

When Rory first discovers Paris is her roommate at Yale, Paris says she "lost" her nanny.  Nanny had moved out west somewhere to start a restaurant.  Yet, when Paris returns to her dorm room and finds Doyle sick in her bed, Nanny comes to the rescue.  Did she fly back to CT, leaving her family and business, solely to care for Paris's undefined male sexual partner?  Seems unlikely. 

In the episode where Sookie gives birth to Martha, Lorelai thinks she's pregnant because she and Luke had unprotected sex - 2 days before.  I know it's been a while since she's had a child, but anyone with a basic grasp of biology ought to know that you can't know if you're pregnant after two days; the fertilized egg isn't likely to even be implanted in the uterus at that time.  And then she used her craving of orange soda and a moon pie as evidence she isn't pregnant.  Just silly for a woman in her mid to late 30s.   

23 minutes ago, readster said:

3 minutes ago, steff13 said:

True.  She said a couple times in the series she wanted another kid, so that isn't an issue, and even if she and Luke didn't work out, the chances that she would be left raising the baby alone are roughly 0.0%. 

Not to mention she already had an unexpected teen pregnancy and already experience the fallout from that. I refused to believe Lorelai would make that mistake again. There's no way she wouldn't always make sure she was prepared no matter how passion or sudden things got. It makes no sense that she would suddenly not know how pregnancy tests work or have unprotected sex. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

And let someone realize she’s not perfect? Perish the thought!

4 hours ago, stan4 said:

Did you guys notice, though, how Emily said she knew it was their last night and that is why she was surprised Lorelai wasn't there?  Or how Lorelai didn't explain either?

That makes me think Rory must've said *something*.  Or it's just stupid writing again.

Maybe Emily had looked up when Yale started and is better at a calendar than her granddaughter. ;)

I always thought neither of them wanted to admit to Emily that 1) Lorelai extended their trip to stalk Bono and 2) Rory had the Yale move-in date wrong.  So they wouldn't have to listen to her millions of comments.  Emily never was very forgiving of others' mistakes.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, steff13 said:

Boise.  And this one I, strangely, have no trouble believing LOL.  Nanny loved Paris more than Paris' own parents did.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Nanny loved Paris more than Paris' own parents did.

Not a very high bar.  Complete strangers probably loved Paris more than her parents did.  

• Love 6
Just now, Katy M said:

Complete strangers probably loved Paris more than her parents did.  

Well, maybe not the ones she cut dead with a comment.  Although they were universally hilarious.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, maybe not the ones she cut dead with a comment.  Although they were universally hilarious.

Obviously I was exaggerating.  But, man her parents were cold.  They make Emily look like mother of the century.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Obviously I was exaggerating.  But, man her parents were cold.  They make Emily look like mother of the century.

Wasn't that Kelly Taylor's mom from 90210?

Yeah.  Uber-beyowtch.

6 hours ago, deaja said:

Yes, I noticed that and didn't think anything of it because it's Emily. Of course she would be well aware of when Rory's orientation started, since she was most likely already planning to buy Rory furniture. And, it also explains why she was expecting Lorelai to be there for dinner. Lorelai not explaining was another nitpick, but it wasn't as severe for me because Lorelai always misses important communication points when it comes to Emily. But, Rory is supposed to be preparing for a career in the communications field. She knew that Emily was drawing out dinner and the ballroom dancing thing to punish Lorelai - she could have easily stopped it before it started by simply being honest about her lapse. Emily may have lectured her, but she wouldn't have gotten her feeling hurt and decide to punish Lorelai for it when all was said and done. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

That was a pinnacle of illogical thinking. There must be a dozen ways for Lorelai to achieve getting to know Logan without going to Hartford. The easiest of which would be to invite him and Rory to Stars Hollow before they go to FND.

It made no sense except to give Emily the chance to embarrass herself in front of her granddaughter’s new boyfriend. Logan was a smart guy and I’m confident he knew how Emily was treating her daughter. Big social mistake to display such behavior in front of the ‘catch’ of Rory’s generation. 

Speaking of potential suitors, if I were Luke this would have been one of those WTF moments when his girlfriend drops everything to go back to Hartford after loudly proclaiming how she’s cut them off because they insulted him/them so badly. 

• Love 2

I think it’s as simple as Rory not wanting to tarnish her halo even a little and being more comfortable with Lorelai wearing the black hat . It’s debatable as to how unconscious this was at this point in the series but I think that’s what it was. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, stan4 said:

Oh, the horrors! Rory is moving maximum half an hour further away! They should have had a bigger going away party than that. And she was going to be there for every future FND anyway. (Eyeroll)

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

Oh, the horrors! Rory is moving maximum half an hour further away! They should have had a bigger going away party than that. And she was going to be there for every future FND anyway. (Eyeroll)

It was ridiculous when Rory was homesick and Lorelei had to come back to college right away.  It wasn't as if she had never been away from home/mom before. She spent the summer before in DC.  Which is further away.  I went 800 miles away to school. And, yes, I was homesick. But, I still don't think I made a big of a deal about it as Rory who staye din the same small state!!

• Love 2

I'm an only child with a Dad who worked nights. I was a total Momma's girl. When I was 5 I refused to go to day camp the second week. I just wanted to be with my Mom. My freshman year I was 1,000 miles from home, and cried myself to sleep the first few nights. I transferred the next year to a school where I could go home every weekend. I totally relate to The Lorelai's First Day at Yale. It's one of my favorite episodes.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I totally relate to The Lorelai's First Day at Yale. It's one of my favorite episodes.

I love that episode as well. My only nitpick was the mattress bit. If Lorelai was planning all along to buy Rory a new mattress, why not make arrangements for it to be disposed of or stored before hand? Even if it only occurred to her buy a new mattress the day before, how difficult would it have been for her to make room to store it in her garage or in Rory's room until someone could come pick it up? Or, she could have asked any of the many people that love her in Stars Hollow for storage space. Hell, she was willing to offer a hundred bucks to random Yale students to "disappear a mattress" Gypsy would have probably stored it for her for that. 

I think ASP gets really attached to certain bits in an episode and it never plays out as funny or as cute as she thinks it will. In fact, it usually makes me grind my teeth in frustration at how un-cute Lorelai's behavior is. 

• Love 4

The apt Rory, Doyle, and Paris lived in was supposed to be a duplex.  Paris said she found a duplex.

And what the heck is that outfit Rory wears to court???!!!

Edited by stan4

Confused about the sprinkler scene.

Why couldn't Rory turn them off?  We were led to believe she was not a giant moron. 

How come the city slicker who had no lawn knew how to do it?  Bc he is a boy?

Why was Rory paging Dean?  We know he has a cell phone.

Why was she acting like paging him meant she should get a near instantaneous reply?  How did paging = he knew where she was and was on the way?

Why so panicky anyway?  So the lawn get 5 extra minutes of water.  BFD.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, stan4 said:

Confused about the sprinkler scene.

Why couldn't Rory turn them off?  We were led to believe she was not a giant moron. 

How come the city slicker who had no lawn knew how to do it?  Bc he is a boy?

Why was Rory paging Dean?  We know he has a cell phone.

Why was she acting like paging him meant she should get a near instantaneous reply?  How did paging = he knew where she was and was on the way?

Why so panicky anyway?  So the lawn get 5 extra minutes of water.  BFD.

Rory's not a moron, but we've never been led to believe she's good with technical/tool type stuff.

Dean is good with tools. He built a whole car by himself, so that's why he knew how to do it. Unless we mean Jess.  he fixed a toaster, so there's that.

I don't remember if Dean had a cell phone in S2 or not. If he did, yeah, it's kind of weird.

Paging generally does mean you should get a near instantaneous reply. It's why doctors had them for emergencies:)  

The neighbor was very insistent that the lawn get exactly x minutes of water a day.  No more.  No less.  I don't think it's a big deal, either, but if someone aked me to do something that precisely, I would try my best.  Except in his case.  Because he was kind of a monumental jerk.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Paging generally does mean you should get a near instantaneous reply. It's why doctors had them for emergencies:)  

Remember, this was in the days before cell phones became so pervasive.  Looking back, that pager thing is pretty quaint.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2018 at 6:15 PM, MatildaMoody said:

Yes, I noticed that and didn't think anything of it because it's Emily.

I assumed because they paid the tuition they received some sort of information on the important dates.  Plus, Richard is an alumnus, so he may get a newsletter.  I get an alumni newsletter from my college. 

After Rory starts Yale (I don't remember the specific episode) Dean calls her and ask her if it's ok for him to work at the Dragon Fly.  He mentions that he "finally broke down" and got a cell phone.  Except in Season 1, in That Damn Donna Reed, he calls Rory from outside Babette's house.  Unless Babette had a pay phone in her front yard, he had a cell phone then. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Rory's not a moron, but we've never been led to believe she's good with technical/tool type stuff.

Dean is good with tools. He built a whole car by himself, so that's why he knew how to do it. Unless we mean Jess.  he fixed a toaster, so there's that.

I don't remember if Dean had a cell phone in S2 or not. If he did, yeah, it's kind of weird.

The neighbor was very insistent that the lawn get exactly x minutes of water a day.  No more.  No less.  I don't think it's a big deal, either, but if someone aked me to do something that precisely, I would try my best.  Except in his case.  Because he was kind of a monumental jerk.

It was a twist-on, twist-off sprinkler.  Not the O rings on the space shuttle.  ASP liked to make these women simpletons in weird regards.  Simple home repairs and maintenance were above Lorelai's head, etc.  Sexist drek.  Or, if done on purpose, makes me dislike the characters even more.  Don't call yourself an independent woman and then flounder with putting up a towel rack.  Or, you know, use your oven for its intended purpose.

Yes.  I meant Jess.  Why would he have any reason to know how sprinklers worked?  Especially since there are so many different kids of systems, on/off mechanisms, etc.

Dean did have a cell phone.  Paris calls him on it at Sookie's wedding.  Oasis is season 3.

I am a doctor.  Back when we used pagers, there was never an 'instant reply' in the way Rory seemed to anticipate.  She holds up some device, punches it twice, and the curses Dean for his unibomber tendencies.  Like all the span of 10 seconds.  Even texting doesn't work that fast.

Edited by stan4
  • Love 1