Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, stan4 said:

Yes.  I meant Jess.  Why would he have any reason to know how sprinklers worked?  Especially since there are so many different kids of systems, on/off mechanisms, etc.

Well, if Jess isn't supposed to be able to figure it out, why should Rory?  I haven't seen this episode in forever, but I thought something broke off or stuck when she turned it.  Not that she was just to stupid to turn a knob.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Well, if Jess isn't supposed to be able to figure it out, why should Rory?  I haven't seen this episode in forever, but I thought something broke off or stuck when she turned it.  Not that she was just to stupid to turn a knob.

Agree!  They should both be equally able or unable to work the thing.  If you recall the episode, you simply had to turn it but push down at the same time.  She didn't even try to troubleshoot the thing.  Flailed at it for 2 seconds and then just went to full on panic mode.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

For me, the whole sprinkler disaster was a plot contrivance. Nothing more, nothing less.

Awfully telling, though.  Like, you lose your cool over sprinklers...what's gonna happen in that fox hole with bombs and guns, etc?

Also, look at the sexism.  Is it ASP's?  Is it Rory's?  She calls Dean.  Runs to find Luke or Taylor.  Why not Babette (who'd be right next door)?  Miss Patty (always seems to be at her studio)?  Luke I get - he's an adult she goes to, but the Taylor thing made it seem more like, "I need to find a guy to help me."

Irksome.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, stan4 said:
15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Awfully telling, though.  Like, you lose your cool over sprinklers...what's gonna happen in that fox hole with bombs and guns, etc?

That's totally in character, though.  She's a panicker. (I am, too, for full-disclosure  But, I never aspired to be a reporter or bomb defuser. I know my limitations). But, we saw it again and again.  Being behind at Chilton.  The whole test/hitting a deer thing. 

14 hours ago, stan4 said:

Why not Babette (who'd be right next door)?  Miss Patty (always seems to be at her studio)? 

Sorry, but I wouldn't choose either one of them for an emergency, either.  I think Babette would panic just as much and Miss Patty would try to solve the problem by telling a long story about it.  Taylor does seem pretty random.  But, Luke and Dean make sense.  They're both handy people that she's close to.  Taylor probably would have had to lecture her first.  On any number of things: foreign-made sprinklers, wasting water, a permit to help your neighbor, girls not getting enough technical education.

• Love 3

Wasn't Jess just walking by? Or she happened to run into him during her freak-out attempt to find Dean? (And I agree that freaking out is Rory's nature.) I didn't think she sought out both Jess AND Dean. I thought she sought out Dean because, as someone else pointed out, he IS really handy. Then she happened upon Jess and told him the problem and he fixed it. 

I don't even think it was a situation where they were trying to portray that Rory was a "dumb girl" and couldn't fix something with a tool. I think she probably COULD have fixed it. If she were able to remain calm. I'm a lot like Rory. I just freak out and my mind shuts down. So even something simple - I'm all, "Derp". 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I didn't think she sought out both Jess AND Dean. I thought she sought out Dean because, as someone else pointed out, he IS really handy. Then she happened upon Jess and told him the problem and he fixed it. 

Yep. That's what happened.  She was starting to run to town, I think, and ran into Jess.  he fixed he problem and then broke it again so Dean could fix it.  Which actually semi-proves that he wasn't always out to make trouble for them.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yep. That's what happened.  She was starting to run to town, I think, and ran into Jess.  he fixed he problem and then broke it again so Dean could fix it.  Which actually semi-proves that he wasn't always out to make trouble for them.

It's actually my favorite Jess moment; because it was so selfless. 

• Love 3

Who said she was looking for Jess?

In fact, she told him to go away.

She was looking for Luke or Taylor.

Shoulda been looking for a clue.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Pointless move bc she could have just told Dean she figured it out.  And hardly cancels the multiple times he did try to eff with them.

• Love 1

Pointless move bc she could have just told Dean she figured it out.  And hardly cancels the multiple times he did try to eff with them.

The sprinkler scene was funny to me because, I always assumed it was a simple plot device to get Rory and Jess together unexpectedly, but with water. While it definitely made Rory look kind of silly and shined another spotlight on her not being fit to be a correspondent, I only ever thought of it as just another annoying scene in the "Rory likes Jess, but won't fess up to it" chronicles. Now, though I'm annoyed because I can't unsee the "Jess further gaslights Rory into thinking he is a good guy by turning the water back on so that Dean can fix it for her" which makes me that much more frustrated with Rory as a character. 

Because now, Dean looks like an asshole for simply coming to help out his girlfriend, and Rory looks like a dumbass who fell for some basic Jess bullshit. 

• Love 5

Here's another nit I found in my sporadic rewatch: Rory makes a point of mentioning that she was eager for Dean to see the stuff that happens every year during the dance marathon and specifically mentions Andrew always having a major fight with his partner during the first fifteen minutes.  Then, when Dean shows up in time to see it, it's noon so six hours have passed.  And then, to make things worse, Lorelai even says "right on time!" Yeah, hour six is not the same as the first fifteen minutes, show.

Also I can't imagine how dull the lives of the various Stars Hollow randoms must be that they go and watch the marathon. 

Also also, are we to assume there's a dress code?  I can see Taylor requiring one but Lorelai mentions that her and Rory will get dressed up as incentive for them being partners so it didn't seem like it.  And yet everyone participating is dressed like the 40s.  Not one person had enough sense to wear sneakers and workout clothes for maximum comfort since they're expected to be dancing for 24 hours straight?  Maybe Kirk's shoes were comfy and that's his secret to winning every year. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, monkeyunderpants said:

If you look closely, you can see Rory turning the thing the wrong direction, thus it starts spraying more water. Probably why it got "stuck," at least to someone with not a very firm grip/upper body strength.

So now she's too dumb to know righty-tighty, lefty-loosey?

My 4 year old knows that.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Also I can't imagine how dull the lives of the various Stars Hollow randoms must be that they go and watch the marathon. 

This I can actually believe my dad's from a small town and people would show up to watch a marathon because there is nothing else to do. There really isn't a lot to do in a small town. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

This I can actually believe my dad's from a small town and people would show up to watch a marathon because there is nothing else to do. There really isn't a lot to do in a small town. 

Yah.  I might go just to see the fun and hoopla.  For like an hour or two.  Especially if people are dressed up and doing period dances.  If parking was easy.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, stan4 said:

Yah.  I might go just to see the fun and hoopla.  For like an hour or two.  Especially if people are dressed up and doing period dances.  If parking was easy.

And if there was food or something. Not just not-egg egg sandwiches and coffee.

I'd totally go watch. We watched it on TV. The costumes, Jackson's 4-in-4 reveal (and the subsequent fighting), the music, Babette giving it the old college try, Stanley Applebaum's wife just waiting for the right moment to shank Lorelai, Kirk being a giant infant. Good stuff. I'd thoroughly enjoy any town event!

• Love 7
20 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I'd totally go watch. We watched it on TV. The costumes, Jackson's 4-in-4 reveal (and the subsequent fighting), the music, Babette giving it the old college try, Stanley Applebaum's wife just waiting for the right moment to shank Lorelai, Kirk being a giant infant. Good stuff. I'd thoroughly enjoy any town event!

The small town fun stuff was sorely missed in the revival. What they did have lacked the feeling that the OS had. As much as they tried to make it seem like 9 years didn’t pass (the jeep, truck, L&L relationship) I wish they would have done it with the town instead. I really missed the small talk at Luke’s.

• Love 6
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, stan4 said:

So now she's too dumb to know righty-tighty, lefty-loosey?

My 4 year old knows that.

Good for your 4 year old.  I don't.  I always get confused.  Especially if someone decides to throw in clockwise and counter-clockwise.  Besides, how would she know if turning it off would require tightening or loosening.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Good for your 4 year old.  I don't.  I always get confused.  Especially if someone decides to throw in clockwise and counter-clockwise.  Besides, how would she know if turning it off would require tightening or loosening.

Lol.  Touche.

Although by definition tightening a valve is shutting it off.

I think I'm touchy about this bc I hate the stereotype (or perpetuation of the stereotype) of the mechanically inept female.

Look pretty and read a book!  

Edited by stan4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

Throw in being flustered, trying to do it and think about it while getting water in your face, etc. and I thought it was believable. What I thought was more unbelievable was that Lorelai didn’t just skip that watering session when they were running late. Dwight would have had no way to know and they hadn’t agreed to do it.

We were talking about Rory's college haircut in another thread so I went to look for a screencap and found a (probably petty) nitpick from Dean and Lindsay's wedding.

Can we talk about this wedding cake for a minute?  It's six tiers!  That church does not hold that many people.  Does each guest get their own tier or something?  LOL.

GG404-01222.jpg

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

That church does not hold that many people. 

Well,, we know that there are 58 seats ("and 62 Koreans") so I guess they must want everyone to have a healthy hunk.

• Love 2

Seeing Lindsay's behaviour during the wedding prep, it wasn't about how many people she was feeding but more about how big of a "wow" she Ould get from her 58 guests. Like having a big decadent wedding even though you lived in a tiny town would overcome the fact that they were getting married at 18...

• Love 4
On 8/1/2018 at 9:27 PM, stan4 said:

I like the parts of the episode where Emily is a total B to Lorelai.

Had a sidecar this evening, in fact.

I hated those parts. She was so awful to her daughter, the entire reason Lorelai stopped speaking to her in the first place. She kept acting like Rory's mother, not her grandmother, which bugs the hell out of me.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:16 PM, MatildaMoody said:

I have a LOT of nitpicks when it comes to this show, but I think my biggest is in the Ballrooms and Biscotti episode. Why didn't Rory just tell Emily that she got her dates confused and that Lorelai was killing herself trying to get everything she needed for Yale the next day? Why did she 1. Let her Grandmother think her daughter was purposely avoiding her 2. Never once try to clear up the situation before or even during the insanely long "European" dinner Emily sprung on her 3. Not speak up and say that SHE had to go help her mom finish packing after dinner. None of that anger or bitterness between Emily and Lorelai had to happen that night, because as Emily so astutely pointed out, Rory was perfectly capable simply saying she couldn't stay, because she's not 4. But she didn't. Instead, like a 4 year old she called her mommy to come bail her out. 

How did anyone ever expect her to be a journalist? She couldn't even bring herself to speak up to say she had shit to do and her mom was handling all of her packing alone!

I don't know why they didn't just say something, too. Hell, Emily probably would have loved to help.

On 8/2/2018 at 6:56 PM, junienmomo said:

Speaking of potential suitors, if I were Luke this would have been one of those WTF moments when his girlfriend drops everything to go back to Hartford after loudly proclaiming how she’s cut them off because they insulted him/them so badly. 

I'm glad that she didn't cut them off completely, for good. I hate hearing, "I only need you" and that happens so often. That one person is the only thing that matters. But I have personal experience in being bullied and ditched by my sister,

for the boyfriend who kept hitting on me, and even declared his love for me to our mother. Just f'king weird. She married him, too, and I'm out in the cold again, because I'm still not comfortable having him around. I never once told her not to marry him, that she should dump him. I just wanted my own boundaries respected. Not possible, because he's amazing, and I'm trash.

Personal crap behind the spoiler tag.

On 8/9/2018 at 4:11 PM, stan4 said:

Confused about the sprinkler scene.

Why couldn't Rory turn them off?  We were led to believe she was not a giant moron. 

How come the city slicker who had no lawn knew how to do it?  Bc he is a boy?

Why was Rory paging Dean?  We know he has a cell phone.

Why was she acting like paging him meant she should get a near instantaneous reply?  How did paging = he knew where she was and was on the way?

Why so panicky anyway?  So the lawn get 5 extra minutes of water.  BFD.

Jess may also have done things like that, along with yard work. He didn't like school, but he worked hard when he wanted money. 

That scene makes no sense to me, because we've always heard that Dean is blowing up her phone, looking for her. "Damn you, and your unabomber tendencies" - what? DEAN? Perfect boyfriend, who had a job, went to school, socialized with her mother and her best friend, loved his family, only seemed to be alone when he was upset over Rory. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
On 8/10/2018 at 3:07 PM, ghoulina said:

I don't even think it was a situation where they were trying to portray that Rory was a "dumb girl" and couldn't fix something with a tool. I think she probably COULD have fixed it. If she were able to remain calm. I'm a lot like Rory. I just freak out and my mind shuts down. So even something simple - I'm all, "Derp". 

On 8/11/2018 at 2:22 PM, ghoulina said:

Same, for both.

• Love 2
On 8/28/2018 at 1:12 AM, Anela said:

I don't know why they didn't just say something, too. Hell, Emily probably would have loved to help.

And thinking about it now, it makes even less sense that Rory never said anything about why Lorelai wasn't there. Because wouldn't most of the conversation that night focus on how excited/nervous Rory would be about starting Yale THE VERY NEXT DAY? I mean there would be only so many topics of conversation the night before Rory went off to college. Did the writers expect us to believe that there was never any time during those 4-6 hours Emily kept her there that Rory never had an opening to tell Emily and Richard (before he went to bed) the reason why Lorelai wasn't there? This was a Rory-centric dinner without Lorelai there to pull focus, and she never once says she still has a million last minute things to take care of but she just didn't want to miss dinner with them. Are we supposed to believe that Richard never once asked her a question about her preparations to attend his alma mater?

• Love 5

Since the Kims were not practicing Christians until they moved to the US, I want to know how Lane could spend the summer in Korea without tipping off her non-Christian grandmother.  Did she just not see her?  Were the rest of the relatives in on the secret and helping with the ruse?  How did Lane miss this major deception by her mom? Was the lack of rigid Christianity the real reason (along with the bootlegs) that Lane had so much fun? 

That particular retcon wasn't what I'd call clever but the least they could have done was explain how none of this came up during Lane's season 2 trip. 

• Love 4

Emily is badgering Lorelai with a bag of scone mix. Lorelai said she’s not much of a baker, perhaps she’ll have Sookie make them up. Emily is going on and on about how the directions are right there and how easy it would be to make them. I’d throw that right back at her and say, “Here Mom, go into the kitchen and whip up a batch.” 

• Love 4

And thinking about it now, it makes even less sense that Rory never said anything about why Lorelai wasn't there. Because wouldn't most of the conversation that night focus on how excited/nervous Rory would be about starting Yale THE VERY NEXT DAY? I mean there would be only so many topics of conversation the night before Rory went off to college. Did the writers expect us to believe that there was never any time during those 4-6 hours Emily kept her there that Rory never had an opening to tell Emily and Richard (before he went to bed) the reason why Lorelai wasn't there? This was a Rory-centric dinner without Lorelai there to pull focus, and she never once says she still has a million last minute things to take care of but she just didn't want to miss dinner with them. Are we supposed to believe that Richard never once asked her a question about her preparations to attend his alma mater?

It's like the trope where one character says something important to another character before getting into the car, and suddenly they have arrived at their destination carrying on the same conversation like they just drove in the car in utter silence after whatever bombshell was dropped. 

• Love 3

in those are string Pinocchio Lorelai informs Sookie and Jackson the Independence inn is closed "closing? no, closed,shut down already being boarded up"...ummmm HOW? its not like you can just close up in a day with any business and being a INN they would have had guest that had reservations in advance (in reality they would have stopped taking reservations and any past the date they wanted to close they probably would have informed) and really you close the INN and dont tell any of your employees??? no owner would do that esp the owner they showed loving all her employees...And why not work out a deal with her to buy that inn? I mean she was just gonna close it down anyway....just always bugged me 

On 9/5/2018 at 4:57 PM, chitowngirl said:

Emily is badgering Lorelai with a bag of scone mix. Lorelai said she’s not much of a baker, perhaps she’ll have Sookie make them up. Emily is going on and on about how the directions are right there and how easy it would be to make them. I’d throw that right back at her and say, “Here Mom, go into the kitchen and whip up a batch.” 

what about the episode where they have no maid or cook and Rory finds the pizza they had Emily act like she didn't even know how to work a stove or know where her own dishes where 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

in those are string Pinocchio Lorelai informs Sookie and Jackson the Independence inn is closed "closing? no, closed,shut down already being boarded up"...ummmm HOW? its not like you can just close up in a day with any business and being a INN they would have had guest that had reservations in advance (in reality they would have stopped taking reservations and any past the date they wanted to close they probably would have informed) and really you close the INN and dont tell any of your employees??? no owner would do that esp the owner they showed loving all her employees...And why not work out a deal with her to buy that inn? I mean she was just gonna close it down anyway....just always bugged me 

Am I misremembering?  Wasn't the structural damage from the fire too great and they basically would have had to tear down completely and rebuild?  Obviouisly, when something like that happens, you phone everyone with reservations (assuming you can access that data) and explain what happened and cancel the reservations.  And, I'm sure the employees were informed, just not on screen.  Not the same situation at all, but there was a restaurant in our town that went out of business.  The employees found out when they went to work and there was a sign posted on the door. So, yeah, you can just shut up a business in a day. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Am I misremembering?  Wasn't the structural damage from the fire too great and they basically would have had to tear down completely and rebuild?  Obviouisly, when something like that happens, you phone everyone with reservations (assuming you can access that data) and explain what happened and cancel the reservations.  And, I'm sure the employees were informed, just not on screen.  Not the same situation at all, but there was a restaurant in our town that went out of business.  The employees found out when they went to work and there was a sign posted on the door. So, yeah, you can just shut up a business in a day. 

No they way it was relayed to Sookie and Jackson they didn't tell anyone they were closing just they closed it they were sitting at the table and Lorelai just said we have bad news the Inn is closed Sookie says "its closing?" Larelai "Closing? No closed, They are boarding it up now"  .... and yes it burned but then they rebuilt it remember...they way they handled the whole thing was just stupid.. No one just shuts down a complete inn on a whim and not tell their chef and front desk staff and well staff in general ..... but I mean the writing was kinda inconsistent with stuff like this in the show anyway just after watching it for the 100th time you think wait a tick thats not how life works lol

Edited by Keywestclubkid
7 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

No they way it was relayed to Sookie and Jackson they didn't tell anyone they were closing just they closed it they were sitting at the table and Lorelai just said we have bad news the Inn is closed Sookie says "its closing?" Larelai "Closing? No closed, They are boarding it up now"  .... and yes it burned but then they rebuilt it remember...they way they handled the whole thing was just stupid.. No one just shuts down a complete inn on a whim and not tell their chef and front desk staff and well staff in general ..... but I mean the writing was kinda inconsistent with stuff like this in the show anyway just after watching it for the 100th time you think wait a tick thats not how life works lol

JOHN: We have to close off three more rooms.

LORELAI: Three rooms? That'll leave us with two.

JOHN: And, uh, the estimate for the repairs to get everything back to the quality we had and up to code. . .it's not pretty.

It doesn't look like they rebuilt it.  They had one guest at that point.  It makes sense to close immediately if you can't rebuild rather than have guests and employees in an unsafe environment while you slowly die.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

JOHN: We have to close off three more rooms.

LORELAI: Three rooms? That'll leave us with two.

JOHN: And, uh, the estimate for the repairs to get everything back to the quality we had and up to code. . .it's not pretty.

It doesn't look like they rebuilt it.  They had one guest at that point.  It makes sense to close immediately if you can't rebuild rather than have guests and employees in an unsafe environment while you slowly die.

there is no way that Inn didn't have Insurance tho I run two guest houses here in key west and trust and believe Insurance altho a big pain in the ass would have covered it

23 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

there is no way that Inn didn't have Insurance tho I run two guest houses here in key west and trust and believe Insurance altho a big pain in the ass would have covered it

Most people and businesses are underinsured for total calamity.  Plus, Mia had said earlier, well before the fire, that she was thinking of selling the near future.  She probably didn't want to take the time (and completely rebuilding would take time), effort, and money when she could just sell the land and be done with it.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Most people and businesses are underinsured for total calamity.  Plus, Mia had said earlier, well before the fire, that she was thinking of selling the near future.  She probably didn't want to take the time (and completely rebuilding would take time), effort, and money when she could just sell the land and be done with it.

but it wasn't total calamity tho the entire Inn didn't burn down only parts i mean enough for them to still be able to have guest come and stay in parts of it..... if it was total destruction they wouldn't have allowed them to have any guest stay .... Trust me I deal with the state for everything with the two guest houses I run the way they nitpick and check up ALL the time lol there is zero possibility they would have allowed them to stay open at all if that was the case.

Edited by Keywestclubkid
5 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

but it wasn't total calamity tho the entire Inn didn't burn down only parts i mean enough for them to still be able to have guest come and stay in parts of it..... if it was total destruction they wouldn't have allowed them to have any guest stay .... Trust me I deal with the state for everything with the two guest houses I run the way they nitpick and check up ALL the time lol there is zero possibility they would have allowed them to stay open at all if that was the case.

Just because something is partly habitable (down to 2 rooms that aren't condemned), doesn't mean it wouldn't cost more to fix than tear down and rebuild.  And, none of that is the point, anyway.  The point is that they couldn't continue to run it as is, I think you'll agree with that.  And Mia wasn't interested in putting in the time, effort, and money to rebuild.  So, they shut down and she was going to sell it.  That's not at all unbelievable. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

.  And Mia wasn't interested in putting in the time, effort, and money to rebuild.  So, they shut down and she was going to sell it.  That's not at all unbelievable. 

Given the fact that Mia LOVED and Adored Rory and Lorelai and thought of every one at her INN like family there is zero possibility she wouldn't have at least offered Lorelei the possibility of taking the inn and rebuilding i mean she would still have to unload the land and all that its not like she would just walk away and not still have land taxes and etc etc I get taking the Insurance money and just quiting but you still have the land and the buildings there that the government isn't gonna let you just forget  ...it just doesn't add up to everything they showed us up until that point ..... :) I mean how much more could it have cost they had to basically rebuild the dragon fly from scratch to the only thing it had going was "good bones"

Edited by Keywestclubkid
Just now, Keywestclubkid said:

Given the fact that Mia LOVED and Adored Rory and Lorelai and thought of every one at her INN like family there is zero possibility she wouldn't have at least offered Lorelei the possibility of taking the inn and rebuilding i mean she would still have to unload the land and all that its not like she would just walk away and not still have land taxes and etc etc  ...it just doesn't add up to everything they showed us up until that point ..... :)

I'm sure she would have given Lorelai the opportunity to buy the inn.  But, the other inn that only had to be refurbished, and not completely rebuilt, would have been more affordable.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm sure she would have given Lorelai the opportunity to buy the inn.  But, the other inn that only had to be refurbished, and not completely rebuilt, would have been more affordable.

the Dragonfly pretty much had to be rebuilt to i mean the way they showed it Falling down and they only good thing said was it had good bones
:)

At some point in the show, when Lorelai tells Mia she wants to open her own inn, and Mia says she wants to sell the Independence Inn, Sookie and Lorelai discuss it. Lorelai has her freak out about having the Independence Inn sold, and not having the Dragonfly be available since Fran refuses to sell it... And Sookie suggests buying the independence:

SOOKIE: Well, I don't know. Should we try to buy this place?
LORELAI: Aha. This place is five times what we can afford.

The insinuation here is the the Independence is much bigger than the dragonfly. Yes, I'm sure the price of the inn post-fire would be considerably reduced, but Sookie and Lorelai would still have to pay for a bigger building on a bigger land with a lake and a lot of grounds (as seen at Sookie's wedding) plus all of the renovation/rebuilding of the hotel. That is still a hell of a lot more money that what they would spend renovating the Dragonfly which probably has a dozen rooms and considerably smaller building and grounds.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, marineg said:

At some point in the show, when Lorelai tells Mia she wants to open her own inn, and Mia says she wants to sell the Independence Inn, Sookie and Lorelai discuss it. Lorelai has her freak out about having the Independence Inn sold, and not having the Dragonfly be available since Fran refuses to sell it... And Sookie suggests buying the independence:

SOOKIE: Well, I don't know. Should we try to buy this place?
LORELAI: Aha. This place is five times what we can afford.

The insinuation here is the the Independence is much bigger than the dragonfly. Yes, I'm sure the price of the inn post-fire would be considerably reduced, but Sookie and Lorelai would still have to pay for a bigger building on a bigger land with a lake and a lot of grounds (as seen at Sookie's wedding) plus all of the renovation/rebuilding of the hotel. That is still a hell of a lot more money that what they would spend renovating the Dragonfly which probably has a dozen rooms and considerably smaller building and grounds.

This opens up a new nitpick for me. What happened to the Independence Inn? Did someone buy it? Did it get torn down and turned into something else? How did the Stars Hollow Historical society rate it as a historical property? Like, were they allowed to tear it down or did it have to stay as it was until it was purchased? And I know this is a very small nitpick because the story was about Lorelai moving forward, but I want to know if The Dragonfly was suddenly the only inn in Stars Hollow or if they had to compete with the new owners of the Independence. Like did Taylor buy the property in his bid to own as much real estate as he could in the town? I mean the Independence was a hub for work and fun and just a staple in the town. What happened to the property? 

And I get that this is a small nitpick. Like, I would never wonder why we didn't see Jason Bourne go through customs in a Bourne Identity movie - but The Independence Inn was a part of Lorelai's, Sookie's, Rory's, and the town of Stars Hollow's life. There should have been at least a throwaway line about what happened to it after the fire sale.

• Love 7

No kidding.  From what we saw, the Independence Inn was the only game in town before the fire and then it was a year between its closing and the Dragonfly opening.  Shouldn't the town, or at least Taylor, have been worried about the loss of revenue during that year?  Also, even if the inn was torn down with no intention of being rebuilt, the property was big and beautiful.  No developer wanted to buy it and put up a bunch of condos or McMansions? No one in town had any ideas for the property?  And the Dragonfly was way too small to be an adequate wedding and event venue (to be fair I don't remember if it hosted any), so did people just stop coming to Stars Hollow for their weddings?  Did they all just book the church/synagogue and not object to the lack of decor?  Or did they just start using the town square for everything? 

On a different topic, one nitpick I have was Francie's hemline issue from season 3.  Raising hemlines are definitely the kind of bullshit platform many students run on but the school government doesn't actually have any say on it.  At best they can write a proposal, gather signatures, and then present it to the Headmaster (and maybe the school board) but Francie can't ask Paris to just call a vote and then the hemlines rise if the vote passes.  Paris and Rory both should have known that and shut it down every time Francie brought it up.  Hell, their faculty advisor should have shut it down when it was raised.  Instead it was used to start the Francie Sows Discord Between Paris And Rory story and it was just dumb.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

On a different topic, one nitpick I have was Francie's hemline issue from season 3.  Raising hemlines are definitely the kind of bullshit platform many students run on but the school government doesn't actually have any say on it. 

It always bugged me because the skirts were already obviously WAY more than 3/4" above the knee.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

On a different topic, one nitpick I have was Francie's hemline issue from season 3.  Raising hemlines are definitely the kind of bullshit platform many students run on but the school government doesn't actually have any say on it.  At best they can write a proposal, gather signatures, and then present it to the Headmaster (and maybe the school board) but Francie can't ask Paris to just call a vote and then the hemlines rise if the vote passes.  Paris and Rory both should have known that and shut it down every time Francie brought it up.  Hell, their faculty advisor should have shut it down when it was raised.  Instead it was used to start the Francie Sows Discord Between Paris And Rory story and it was just dumb.

That drives me crazy on every TV show ever where someone runs for student government.  The students don't run the school.  The only episode I liked involving class president stuff was on Sabrina, The Teenage Witch, where Sabrina magically fixed the election and Jenny or Valerie (?) won.  She went to the principal and said she wanted to raise funding for the arts and improve cafeteria food and blah blah blah.  The principal said the president doesn't have any authoritiy over these things, and Jenny or Valerie looked totally crestfallen.  But, at least it was realistic.

• Love 3

I don't know if these have been "picked," but I have two I haven't noticed before: 

1. When Rory and Dean breakup (after he tells her he loves her), Rory keeps a little list of days when Dean isn't in Doose's.  Lane goes in, and comes out and reports that Dean isn't in there.  Rory notes that he doesn't work on Wednesday.  Rory later discovers that Lorelai and Max are back together, and she and Lorelai fight.  Lorelai starts to go to Doose's, and she says, "I assume you're not coming in," to which Rory says, "is it Wednesday?" and Lorelai responds "no."  Rory runs away to the Gilmore's home after the fight, then went to school, and Lorelai came and got her at the Gilmore's after school.  As they leave, Emily says, "we'll see you tomorrow at 7 for dinner."  Which means "tomorrow" was Friday, that day was Thursday, and the day Rory ran away after refusing to go into Doose's because it was not Wednesday, it was indeed Wednesday.  

2. Fran and Westin's Bakery.  In season 2, when Lorelai was tasting wedding cakes Fran says they've been doing this for 112 years.  Lorelai makes a joke about her only looking 106, and she clarifies that her family has been doing it for 112 years.  When Fran passes away, her friend says in her eulogy that Fran opened the bakery during one of the world wars.  World War I began in 1914, so it's not even 112 years from today, and the eulogy implies that Fran started the bakery herself, whereas Fran implied that her family opened the bakery and she was just continuing the tradition. 

29 minutes ago, steff13 said:

Fran and Westin's Bakery.  In season 2, when Lorelai was tasting wedding cakes Fran says they've been doing this for 112 years.  Lorelai makes a joke about her only looking 106, and she clarifies that her family has been doing it for 112 years.  When Fran passes away, her friend says in her eulogy that Fran opened the bakery during one of the world wars.  World War I began in 1914, so it's not even 112 years from today, and the eulogy implies that Fran started the bakery herself, whereas Fran implied that her family opened the bakery and she was just continuing the tradition. 

Her family could have been baking for 112 years, but not at that bakery.