Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

On 6/12/2018 at 9:59 AM, steff13 said:

Tiny nitpick - I was watching the episode where Rory graduates from Chilton.  I always choke up.  :'(  

But, at the end, Richard and Emily led Rory out to the parking lot to see her graduation gift.  He says, "it's the one with the bow," not noticing that the lot is full of cars with bows.  When Emily points it out, he says, "well it was the only one there when I drove it up."  Cue Rory saying, incredulously, "you bought me a car?!"  

Now, of course the car was unexpected, but when they'd been standing there for two minutes discussing a parking lot full of vehicles with bows, it seem like she should have put two and two together and not been so incredulous.  It's not as though he bought her diamond earrings and left them in the parking lot with a bow. 

I didn't see it as incredulity so much as that annoying disingenuous innocent/naive act she puts on sometimes.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, readster said:

I still want to know how Mrs. Kim's antiques stayed in business all those years when her constant talk was: "You buy or you get out!" Usually having people just leave without buying ANYTHING!

That's not as rare as you might think.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

That's not as rare as you might think.

Yup.  A lot of drug dealers don't take their own product.

Look at Luke.  He doesn't eat the food he peddles.

Edited by stan4
  • Love 2

POSTED YESTERDAY IN THE WRONG PLACE - REPOSTING HERE.

On 13/06/2018 at 7:16 AM, andromeda331 said:

I agree. Rory tried the no strings agreement because she was interest in Logan. She wanted to be with him and that was the only way. So she tried it but didn't really like it. She probably did hope he would end up just dating her. She got hopeful with his behavior with Robert. But afterwards it didn't really change things. They were still no strings. She went awhile without hearing from him which ended with her crying in the bathroom after drinking too much of Miss Patty's punch. The next day she decided to break it off. It wasn't working for her. She went to go tell him and didn't expect him to counter with being monogamous.  

Except that one woman Lane bullied into paying $50 more than asking price just because she felt like it. And refused to deliver.

Did anyone notice that they seem to have merged the two characters of Kyon the foreign exchange student and Lane's first cousin Christine in the episode where Lane has her bridal shower? It was clearly the actress who played Kyon, still doing the accent, but Lane specifically refers to her as "family." ("My family is crazy"). Even if they couldn't get the same actress who played Christine in the episode where Lane moves in with Zach and Brian, they could have gotten a different actress and had Lane say "My cousin [insert name here] is crazy."

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, monkeyunderpants said:

Did anyone notice that they seem to have merged the two characters of Kyon the foreign exchange student and Lane's first cousin Christine in the episode where Lane has her bridal shower

Yes!  That's one of the more glaring "mistakes" in the series and it has always driven me crazy.  I have to assume they just liked the character of Kyon so much that they decided to make her a more permanent recurring character, but an exchange student never would have stayed as long as she did, and Lane definitely talked about her like she was a relative in the later seasons.

Maybe some of Mrs. Kim's family adopted her.  LOL.

8 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Yes!  That's one of the more glaring "mistakes" in the series and it has always driven me crazy.  I have to assume they just liked the character of Kyon so much that they decided to make her a more permanent recurring character, but an exchange student never would have stayed as long as she did, and Lane definitely talked about her like she was a relative in the later seasons.

Maybe some of Mrs. Kim's family adopted her.  LOL.

Reminds me of a joke that critics made about both Ron Thomas creator of Veronica Mars and Greg Belenti of Everwood, DC Universe Fame. Saying how they constantly recasted actors in a different role. Putting them in a wig or something on their shows the following season. Basically saying if you love them that much, just make a show about them. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, readster said:

Reminds me of a joke that critics made about both Ron Thomas creator of Veronica Mars and Greg Belenti of Everwood, DC Universe Fame. Saying how they constantly recasted actors in a different role. Putting them in a wig or something on their shows the following season. Basically saying if you love them that much, just make a show about them. 

I feel like in a lot of shows (like Law and Order, etc), they use the same asian people for all the asian stuff.  This one guy was an Indian, Middle Eastern dude, and some other vague asian person in three different episodes.  Star Trek has done it, too.  Maddening.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, stan4 said:

I feel like in a lot of shows (like Law and Order, etc), they use the same asian people for all the asian stuff.  This one guy was an Indian, Middle Eastern dude, and some other vague asian person in three different episodes.  Star Trek has done it, too.  Maddening.

Especially when you know that there are thousands of actors who would dream to have that job. It's easier I guess to cast someone you already know, and not have to go though the selection process all over again.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, marineg said:

Especially when you know that there are thousands of actors who would dream to have that job. It's easier I guess to cast someone you already know, and not have to go though the selection process all over again.

Especially, when there are so many complaints that studios hate spending money out on things. You would think hiring actor A who is fresh and new would cost less than actor B who has bee used several times and knows how to squeeze money out of the studio no matter what their contract says. 

3 hours ago, readster said:

Especially, when there are so many complaints that studios hate spending money out on things. You would think hiring actor A who is fresh and new would cost less than actor B who has bee used several times and knows how to squeeze money out of the studio no matter what their contract says. 

True. But there are a lot of cost attached to casting people. It's a complicated process, to have hundreds of relatively unknown actors come into a studio to read for a small part. You have to dedicate time, a team, have a couple heads of the project there like ASP or DP, casting agents, maybe a producer etc. It takes some work. Obviously not impossible, but yeah, it's not for the lazy.

And most of the time, they will get a contract that reflects their past work. And if they have already worked on that show, and not much else, they would most likely get the same rate based on the SAG pay scale.

• Love 1

I was going to say in another thread, that I couldn't picture Luke snorkeling (on the cruise), and then I remembered April's swimming teacher, teaching him to swim in a later season! 

So, upon further perusal, there is one throwaway line in the Season 5 episode with the male Yale party about why Kyon, who in Season 4 said she was a student from Seoul who would be there for 3 months, was still in Stars Hollow. She says, "Mrs. Kim has taken me in." What happened to her family? Is she Lane's sister now, adopted or foster? Why is this never discussed?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, monkeyunderpants said:

So, upon further perusal, there is one throwaway line in the Season 5 episode with the male Yale party about why Kyon, who in Season 4 said she was a student from Seoul who would be there for 3 months, was still in Stars Hollow. She says, "Mrs. Kim has taken me in." What happened to her family? Is she Lane's sister now, adopted or foster? Why is this never discussed?

It was a punchline to keep her character around, but when would AS-P and her husband want to give a logical explanation for Kyon being around? That would be like the Mayor of Stars Hollow telling Taylor that a Select Man doesn't rule a town and can't call town meetings at the drop of a hat. 

10 minutes ago, readster said:

It was a punchline to keep her character around, but when would AS-P and her husband want to give a logical explanation for Kyon being around? That would be like the Mayor of Stars Hollow telling Taylor that a Select Man doesn't rule a town and can't call town meetings at the drop of a hat. 

Not to nitpick your nitpick, but Stars Hollow wouldn't have a mayor. It would have a town manager.

12 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

They used to have a mayor-Harry.

Well, then show messed up.  Because Star's Hollow should not have a mayor.  It is a town, not a city.  If it's a city with a mayor, then it shouldn't have the town meetings and selectmen.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Well, then show messed up.  Because Star's Hollow should not have a mayor.  It is a town, not a city.  If it's a city with a mayor, then it shouldn't have the town meetings and selectmen.

Not to mention the ever so subtle transfer of power from Jackson to Taylor, without anyone mentioning it, or ever mentioning again that Jackson was once town selectman.

Edited by marineg
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Y'all are putting way more thought into this show than the showrunners or writers did, lol.

Yes, we put more than 3 seconds in.

57 minutes ago, deaja said:

Yes, we put more than 3 seconds in.

How true. Yes, that's why I brought up the mayor because he was mentioned and there was talk several times. It was like how the town was so small that the church and Jewish temple shared space. Switching out the cross and the Star of David several times. It was funny a little bit, but then got to the point: "You know, they hold church services in warehouses these days. The switch from Jackson back to Taylor was never handled and basically had 3 episodes from Jackson realizing he had a life and didn't need to be Selectman, to being cornered by the whole town to do his job after election. Followed by Taylor back to his old position the following episode. I remember AS-P said: "It was pretty obvious what happened, Jackson didn't want to do it and I spent two episodes making that clear." Well, no AS-P you did shitty writing and expected everyone to hand wave it because in the real world, someone like Taylor would have been kicked out for half the shit he did over the years. Or arrested or lose his license. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, readster said:

The switch from Jackson back to Taylor was never handled and basically had 3 episodes from Jackson realizing he had a life and didn't need to be Selectman, to being cornered by the whole town to do his job after election. Followed by Taylor back to his old position the following episode. I remember AS-P said: "It was pretty obvious what happened, Jackson didn't want to do it and I spent two episodes making that clear." Well, no AS-P you did shitty writing and expected everyone to hand wave it because in the real world, someone like Taylor would have been kicked out for half the shit he did over the years. Or arrested or lose his license. 

YES. Because even if Jackson had quit the job. That doesn't make Taylor town selectman. There should be a new election. And Jackson giving up does not mean that the town isn't fed up with Taylor. They all hated him with a fiery passion that episode. Every one was fed up with his antics and couldn't run their businesses properly anymore. But they just went back to voting for that goof?

There are so many times when ASP's though process is "Well if it's clear for me, you don't need to see it happening on the screen." You want to make a semi-realistic show about independent mothers and daughters? Well, get busy, cause we have questions. 

• Love 3

They should have had Taylor be the Town Manager instead of a selectman.  Because that's not an elected position.   It's appointed by the select board.  Therefore when the town got sick of Taylor, and his term was up, the board could have appointed Jackson.  Then, when he got sick of it and quit, the board would have just realized that nobody else really wants to do it and reappointed Taylor. 

• Love 1
On 6/20/2018 at 1:43 PM, Katy M said:

They should have had Taylor be the Town Manager instead of a selectman.  Because that's not an elected position.   It's appointed by the select board.  Therefore when the town got sick of Taylor, and his term was up, the board could have appointed Jackson.  Then, when he got sick of it and quit, the board would have just realized that nobody else really wants to do it and reappointed Taylor. 

Right which have not only made sense, but worked in the long run. Because Taylor could have done his half-ass ideas and it would still have been in context with Gilmore Girls. However, they had to go with: "What does Taylor do if he is not the mayor?" AS-P does quick Google Search. "Yes, he is a Selectman, which deals with real estate and that's what he's constantly doing." Production guy: "Wait! Then how can he convince the town getting a stop light camera, change sewage and so forth?" AS-P: "It works in my mind and it's my show, so FU!" 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, readster said:

AS-P: "It works in my mind and it's my show, so FU!" 

Exactly. That's how she ran the entire first 6 seasons and the revival. But when I catch clips with the really well done parts of the show, I remember why I love it. I'm willing to suspend disbelief because this show brought me so much enjoyment, and still does.

• Love 3

I'm a big car aficionado.  So maybe that's why I notice and it irks me that the cars are always perfect.  Regardless of age.  Even Jess' car, which they threw some random bondo on and faded out the hood of...look at the rest of the paint.  Then the dash has some age cracking, but look at the seats.

Luke's truck looks more restomod than well-maintained family car.

Already mentioned previously that cars too clean, too.

3 hours ago, stan4 said:

I'm a big car aficionado.  So maybe that's why I notice and it irks me that the cars are always perfect.  Regardless of age.  Even Jess' car, which they threw some random bondo on and faded out the hood of...look at the rest of the paint.  Then the dash has some age cracking, but look at the seats.

That's because they are all rented cars, that are taken care of on a daily basis. But yeah, there is just a thing as adjusting props to the show....

7 hours ago, stan4 said:

It's the same way with houses and apartments on this show and others.  Even though, Lorelai and Rory would sometimes have clutter strewn about, there was never any dust anywhere.  Richard and Emily have a maid, so, of course I expect their place to be immaculate.  I also expect the inn and the diner to be super clean as these are places of business that both serve food.  But, come on.  If you're too lazy, or busy, or uncaring, to pick your stuff up, you're not going to dust.   Or mop. Or vaccum. Because your stuff is in the way.

• Love 1

Can't find any book called "Euclid's Geometry."

He is famous for "Elements," a set of 13 texts/scrolls compiled and reproduced for centuries.  6 of the books were number theory, so we cannot even say the vast majority of the book dealt strictly with plane or solid geometry.

• Love 2

What happened to Christopher's dog?  What happened to Rune? 

If Jess was about to have to repeat 11th grade (prior to being tutored by Rory) for skipping, not doing assignments, not taking tests, etc, how'd he wind up in the 12th grade the next season after completely leaving town?

Also, you don't really need a tutor when you can do the work and just choose not to.

How many different Shakespeare classes does Rory take in high school?  Major Shakespeare test derailed by deer.  Then a play (Act 5) in another class.  Then takes a dedicated Shakespeare class in summer school.  This does not seem like a well-rounded curriculum.

22 minutes ago, stan4 said:
  1. What happened to Christopher's dog?  What happened to Rune? 
  2. If Jess was about to have to repeat 11th grade (prior to being tutored by Rory) for skipping, not doing assignments, not taking tests, etc, how'd he wind up in the 12th grade the next season after completely leaving town?
  3. Also, you don't really need a tutor when you can do the work and just choose not to.
  4. How many different Shakespeare classes does Rory take in high school?  Major Shakespeare test derailed by deer.  Then a play (Act 5) in another class.  Then takes a dedicated Shakespeare class in summer school.  This does not seem like a well-rounded curriculum.
  1. Christopher had a dog?  And Rune?  Well, ewwww.  Either way ASP never follows through.
  2. ASP thinks we're stupid and won't notice
  3. ASP doesn't care.
  4. ASP thinks Shakespeare equals fancy, expensive school.  Plus see #3.
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:
  1. Christopher had a dog? 

Ha ha I had to think about it too.  The Christmas card he and Sherry sent Rory in Bracebridge Dinner had a pic of them with a puppy, I think.

Never mentioned again.

• Love 1

"ASP thinks we're stupid, has no follow through, and doesn't care" can address pretty much any subject on this thread.  Lol.

I was watching Bunheads because people kept raving about it.  I don't know why.  Also a little irked at how much is recycled from GG.  Not the actors.  But like word for word dialogue, etc.

We get it.  Married ladies are Sadies.  I don't know what my damage is, Heather.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, stan4 said:

I was watching Bunheads because people kept raving about it.

I started watching it because I love dance and had high hopes. What a disappointment!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I started watching it because I love dance and had high hopes. What a disappointment!

Same. I gave up partway through the first season.

On 7/5/2018 at 1:43 PM, stan4 said:

What happened to Christopher's dog?  What happened to Rune? 

If Jess was about to have to repeat 11th grade (prior to being tutored by Rory) for skipping, not doing assignments, not taking tests, etc, how'd he wind up in the 12th grade the next season after completely leaving town?

Also, you don't really need a tutor when you can do the work and just choose not to.

How many different Shakespeare classes does Rory take in high school?  Major Shakespeare test derailed by deer.  Then a play (Act 5) in another class.  Then takes a dedicated Shakespeare class in summer school.  This does not seem like a well-rounded curriculum.

I don't member Chris having a dog, but maybe it went with Sheri. Rune, who knows.

My guess is Jess managed to pass his classes somehow. I know most of the stuff with him being held back was the following year.  Luke was hoping Rory would be a good influence on him. But yeah, that is a mess up.

I had to read  two Shakespeare plays in two different English classes (different grades) they weren't the only thing we learned though. So it's possible that was the same for Rory. However, I'm not sure why anyone would take a class just devoted to that.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, stan4 said:

You may not need a tutor, but you may need (or some other word) someone to force you to focus and do the work.  I actually think Luke wanted a good influence more than he wanted a tutor, per se.

8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

You may not need a tutor, but you may need (or some other word) someone to force you to focus and do the work.  I actually think Luke wanted a good influence more than he wanted a tutor, per se.

I agree about the peer group being important in school.

The principal said tutor, but I don't think he knew Jess was flaking more than not grasping the subject matter.

Luke asked Rory to get him through the next couple of tests so the school could see he could do the work.

Both approaches don't come near addressing the real issue.  Jess was checked out and did not care.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, stan4 said:

I agree about the peer group being important in school.

The principal said tutor, but I don't think he knew Jess was flaking more than not grasping the subject matter.

Luke asked Rory to get him through the next couple of tests so the school could see he could do the work.

Both approaches don't come near addressing the real issue.  Jess was checked out and did not care.

Very true. You can't fix he doesn't want to do the work and he doesn't care.

• Love 1
On 7/5/2018 at 3:15 PM, Taryn74 said:
On 7/5/2018 at 2:07 PM, Kohola3 said:
  1. Christopher had a dog? 

Ha ha I had to think about it too.  The Christmas card he and Sherry sent Rory in Bracebridge Dinner had a pic of them with a puppy, I think.

Never mentioned again.

Please, Sherry would have gotten rid of the dog the minute she found out she was pregnant, because they're the kind of people who think you can't have a dog once you have a baby.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

Please, Sherry would have gotten rid of the dog the minute she found out she was pregnant, because they're the kind of people who think you can't have a dog once you have a baby.  

The dog was probably just a prop for the Christmas card.  Or, they both kept forgetting to feed it and it died.

• Love 5
On 7/5/2018 at 3:15 PM, Taryn74 said:

Never mentioned again.

The puppy probably ate an expensive shoe, or jumped on the furniture.

I have also known people who got rid of their pets, as soon as they had a baby. 

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

The dog was probably just a prop for the Christmas card. 

Ha!  Good call.  That puppy was so just a prop.  Miss 'I want children so bad I'll have them by myself if I have to' turned 'I'm going to leave the country before the child I did manage to have is even two years old' would totally have a prop puppy for a Christmas card.

• Love 4
On 7/10/2018 at 2:48 PM, Mrs. DuRona said:

Except that she knew she was going for pregnancy ASAP.  Remember?  She was even looking into having the kids by herself.