Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Her family could have been baking for 112 years, but not at that bakery.

Eh, I suppose, but I tend to think that's not the case, it was just sloppy writing.  If her family had their own bakery in Star's Hollow, where it's established that they lived, why would she start her own bakery?  

2 minutes ago, steff13 said:

Eh, I suppose, but I tend to think that's not the case, it was just sloppy writing.  If her family had their own bakery in Star's Hollow, where it's established that they lived, why would she start her own bakery?  

The first one burned down.  This town is crazy bad at fire safety.  They couldn't afford to rebuild/reopen because of the depression. You can't remember which World War, so I'm going with 2.  So, when she started her own bakery 10 years or so after the first one burned down she renamed it and made it completely her own. No stinking family members who can't even remember to turn off an oven at the end of the day.

Fran would’ve had to have be born in at least 1896 to have opened a bakery in 1914, meaning she would’ve been over a hundred (though not quite 112) when Lorelai was engaged to Max. So WWII is the more logical assumption, though where anyone would’ve gotten money to open a business during the Depression is anyone’s guess. But GG is such a fairy tale, it’s hard to believe either the Depression or the war happened at all. 

• Love 1

It's probably another one of thosE

"We need somebody old to have a broken down inn."

"OK, let's use Fran."

"Who the heck is Fran?"

"You know, some old bakery lady."

"What's her back story?"

"Who cares, the fans will never notice if we screw up her history."

"Cool, let's use her and throw is some sort of random but impressive numbers to give her street cred."

• Love 1
On 9/13/2018 at 10:30 PM, chessiegal said:

Y'all are going to make yourselves crazy if you compare story lines to real life. It's a TV show written for entertainment. The writers are under no obligation to be "real", only to provide an entertaining show.

I don't know. For me, part of the entertainment is nitpicking the lack of continuity in the show. It's what drew me to Dawson's Wrap or whatever it was before it became TWOP. Having a place to discuss the writer's intent versus the final product or the incongruities that the show writers just assume viewers aren't smart enough to catch, heightens my enjoyment of the show. 

Edited by MatildaMoody
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Fran would’ve had to have be born in at least 1896 to have opened a bakery in 1914, meaning she would’ve been over a hundred (though not quite 112) when Lorelai was engaged to Max. So WWII is the more logical assumption, though where anyone would’ve gotten money to open a business during the Depression is anyone’s guess. But GG is such a fairy tale, it’s hard to believe either the Depression or the war happened at all. 

Actually it's harder to believe that you could open up a bakery during rationing.  I know sugar was one of the things that was rationed.  Not sure about flour.

• Love 2

MARJORIE: In 1955, Fran opened Weston's Bakery. Back then, she was the new kid on the block, and soon thereafter, she hired me, a mother of three rugrats and a husband overseas, and we became best friends. Still are.

MARJORIE: Of course, Fran's family has been here long before even Fran. They opened the Dragonfly Inn back in 1893. The Dragonfly Inn was once regarded as the Violet Lady, the premiere inn in all of . . .[the microphone goes out].

MARJORIE: . . .set. . .World War. . .

SOOKIE: She said World War.

LORELAI: One or two? Where are we, where are we?

• Love 2

As to Fran's family baking, maybe the Dragonfly was known for its baking/weddings, etc.

I once stayed at an inn that had an apiary and was known locally for its honey/beeswax products.  

Even at a discounted price, given the land we see (acreage, pond, etc) and the size of the II, I'm willing to bet buying the Dragonfly and renovating still cost less than buying the II.  We've all also been at the point where something was destroyed (be it a car or roof or water heater explosion, etc) and we had insurance to fix it, but money is not the only issue.  The enormous HASSLE involved would certainly be enough to drive someone away, especially if they had been thinking about selling anyway.  My family was hit by an idiot driver over a month ago and we're still dealing with forms, calls, finding new stuff wrong with the car, getting proper reimbursement, blah blah blah blah blah.  Never mind fighting the insurance company bc they don't want to pay for anything.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, stan4 said:

The enormous HASSLE involved would certainly be enough to drive someone away, especially if they had been thinking about selling anyway.  My family was hit by an idiot driver over a month ago and we're still dealing with forms, calls, finding new stuff wrong with the car, getting proper reimbursement, blah blah blah blah blah.  Never mind fighting the insurance company bc they don't want to pay for anything.

Amen to that.  An idiot was texting  behind me at a stoplight.  She saw the light change to green so stepped on the gas and rammed into the back of me because she didn't bother to look up and see that the four cars in front of me had not started up yet.  Pushed me into the car in front of me and totaled mine.  That wasn't the worst of it.  The paperwork was endless despite the fact that she was ticketed and I was not at fault!

And I don't care what the "restoration experts" commercials say, you can never get rid of the smell when when there has been a fire.  No way they'd be able to restore the II to its glory days.

• Love 6

In Kropogs, no way Rory's hair looks  that smooth and glossy after riding in a convertible.  Esp not at highway speeds (but even neighborhood speed).

Had convertibles and shoulder-length hair all my life.  And the Porsche's wind screen is vestigial at best (not that Logan had his on).  Mercedes does a better job of installing one that actually makes a difference, but even then your hair will be ruffled if not outright tangled.

Edited by stan4

Booze and Melville:

When Taylor is talking to Luke on the phone and staring at him through the glass, I have a hard time believing Lorelai wouldn't be watching and lip-reading the obvious stuff he was saying.

Especially since it was so weird Luke took the call in the first place.

• Love 1
On 10/1/2018 at 10:04 AM, stan4 said:

Booze and Melville:

When Taylor is talking to Luke on the phone and staring at him through the glass, I have a hard time believing Lorelai wouldn't be watching and lip-reading the obvious stuff he was saying.

Especially since it was so weird Luke took the call in the first place.

Clearly Lorelai knew it wasn’t her business so she needed to butt out.

Oh wait.

28 minutes ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

More likely her lip-reading skills weren’t up to snuff. 

Certainly not as good as Kirk's.

Kirk Gleason: Oh, I can tell you what they're saying.

Lorelai Gilmore: How?

Kirk Gleason: I read lips. My girlfriend taught me. It's so we can have quiet time and keep a conversation going at the same time. Okay: she just said "Hardwood sponge is the authority of the hostile biographer." And then he responded, "Just phone cords to original samovars."

Lorelai Gilmore: Kirk, that doesn't make any sense.

Kirk Gleason: Must mean they're on to us and they've switched to some sort of code.

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Certainly not as good as Kirk's.

Kirk Gleason: Oh, I can tell you what they're saying.

Lorelai Gilmore: How?

Kirk Gleason: I read lips. My girlfriend taught me. It's so we can have quiet time and keep a conversation going at the same time. Okay: she just said "Hardwood sponge is the authority of the hostile biographer." And then he responded, "Just phone cords to original samovars."

Lorelai Gilmore: Kirk, that doesn't make any sense.

Kirk Gleason: Must mean they're on to us and they've switched to some sort of code.

Seriously, how can anybody not love Kirk?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

More likely her lip-reading skills weren’t up to snuff. 

When it pans back to her, she's not even looking.

Meanwhile, Taylor is staring directly towards Luke and Lorelai and making the most overpronounced word faces.

On 9/21/2018 at 6:21 AM, stan4 said:

May 15, 2002 was not a Sunday.

No, but, even though Sookie says May 15th, it says May 19th on the poster at the actual wedding. Also, did Rory just completely avoid/ignore Jess for the entire month between their kiss and what was presumably the end of school/beginning of the leadership program in the middle of June?  

• Love 1

In The Bracebridge Dinner* Lorelai makes a point of saying that they should invite "Everyone we know! Everyone we like!" (with an emphasis on like) when they decide to have the dinner even though the group had to cancel.  So why was Bootsy invited?  He has no onscreen friendship with the Gilmore Girls or Sookie, and Lorelai cringes when he walks into the Inn.  Why invite him if they're making such a point to only invite those they like?  Is this supposed to be a hint that, between those three, they couldn't come up with a few dozen people in town that they genuinely like? 

I know the real reason is that the Ps are terrible at continuity and, apparently, hired bad editors since there's only a few minutes between these scenes and no one caught the discrepancy. 

*The less said about this dinner the better.  All I can think of is that the Bracebridge Group is made up of people who failed history so many times that their high schools just let them graduate so as to be rid of them.

I was thinking about Dead Uncles the other day and wondered why they used a totally never-been-seen-before and never-again-seen Reverend for the funeral.  Reverend Skinner and the Rabbi could have done a rocking funeral.

• Love 4

It always bothered me that Rory and Lorelai don't know how their kitchen appliances work but Rory made a steak, mashed potatoes, and green beans for Dean.

Steak can be challenging to make well for an experienced cook.  I suppose she could have used those disgusting potato buds to make the mashed potatoes.

I dunno.  Suspect.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, stan4 said:

It always bothered me that Rory and Lorelai don't know how their kitchen appliances work but Rory made a steak, mashed potatoes, and green beans for Dean.

Steak can be challenging to make well for an experienced cook.  I suppose she could have used those disgusting potato buds to make the mashed potatoes.

I dunno.  Suspect.

Don't forget the outfit. Where the hell did she come up with that in 10 minutes?

• Love 2

Here's one that I don't think I've mentioned before but always drives me nuts.  In The Breakup Part 2, Rory says that they can't go to Luke's on any of their usual or alternate routes.  They can't go the regular way because Dean may be working at Doose's Market.  They can't go another way because it will take them by the school and Dean may be playing football if he's not scheduled to work.  They can't go yet another way because it's the street he lives on.  All of that is fine and it's 100% a teenager thing to do this but it honestly makes no sense.  Rory woke Lorelai up at 6am, Lorelai didn't shower (meaning she only needed minutes to get dressed), and they had a short talk in the kitchen about wallowing.  That means that, at the latest, they're on their way to Luke's at around 630am.  Rory even calls the crowd at the diner "the 6 am crowd" when Lorelai remarks on how many people are there.  It's made clear to us that it's super early in the morning.  Then why is Rory worried about running into Dean?  Even if there's regularly a huge Saturday morning crowd I can't imagine Taylor would actually open Doose's before 7am and, even if he did, I doubt he'd schedule Dean that early.  He's a pain but seems to be a fair boss.  Also, I'd like to meet the group of teenage boys who voluntarily gather to play football before 7am.  And in the cold?  Not a chance.  Rory's concern about going down Dean's street is the only one that actually works, since we see that he is up that early when he arrives at Luke's and they may have run into him if they'd taken that route.  But, since logic makes their original and first alternate routes available to walk, going down his street also stops being a concern.  The Ps could have gotten them in that alley if they'd just had the Girls do some of their list shopping and then walk to Luke's for lunch.  Then it would be late enough for all of Rory's route concerns to make sense. 

Oh, and I know Lorelai looks at Rory like she's lost her mind but I totally agree that you can learn a lot from someone based on their trash.  Rory shouldn't have started looking through it but she's right on what it can reveal.

ETA: I just rewatched that whole scene and, after Luke throws Dean out of the diner and right when Lorelai and Rory start list shopping, there's even an old timey outdoor clock that shows the time as 627am.  Makes it that much worse.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Oh, and I know Lorelai looks at Rory like she's lost her mind but I totally agree that you can learn a lot from someone based on their trash.  Rory shouldn't have started looking through it but she's right on what it can reveal.

Exactly. I studied Archeology in college, and the thing about archeology is that most of the time, you're sifting through the trash of people who lived hundreds to thousands of years ago. That's how we learn about cultures from the past, by studying their trash, learning what they eat, how they eat, how/when they started using tools, bowls, fire, etc. Most of what we know about the past in terms of archeology comes from studying trash, as a proxy for human behavior. 

• Love 3

This isn't really a nitpick so much as a really odd continuity error. It may have been mentioned before, but why did they change Cinnamon from a male cat to a female cat? In "Kill Me Now" Babbette comes over to borrow some cooking oil because Cinnamon gets stuck under the house. Throughout the conversation, they refer to Cinnamon as he. But in later episodes, Cinnamon is she (I also believe she is called a Dame and a Broad during Cinnamon's Wake). It's an odd continuity error because it happens within a few episodes of each other. 

Like I get all of the continuity issues surrounding Kirk and his history with the town (Kirk going from not knowing who Miss Patty was in Cinnamon's Wake to later being one of her best dance students as a kid and being one of the kids that Luke's uncle traumatized as a kid). ASP probably didn't realize how much of a quirky character gold mine she had in Sean Gunn until after they started working with him - so she expanded his role and did some ret-conning as the episodes and seasons went on. But, I would assume that ASP had a plan in mind when mapping out that first season. She knew that she was eventually going to kill Cinnamon so why not have it be a female cat to start, or leave Cinnamon as a male cat in Cinnamon's Wake?

1 hour ago, MatildaMoody said:

This isn't really a nitpick so much as a really odd continuity error. It may have been mentioned before, but why did they change Cinnamon from a male cat to a female cat? In "Kill Me Now" Babbette comes over to borrow some cooking oil because Cinnamon gets stuck under the house. Throughout the conversation, they refer to Cinnamon as he. But in later episodes, Cinnamon is she (I also believe she is called a Dame and a Broad during Cinnamon's Wake). It's an odd continuity error because it happens within a few episodes of each other. 

Like I get all of the continuity issues surrounding Kirk and his history with the town (Kirk going from not knowing who Miss Patty was in Cinnamon's Wake to later being one of her best dance students as a kid and being one of the kids that Luke's uncle traumatized as a kid). ASP probably didn't realize how much of a quirky character gold mine she had in Sean Gunn until after they started working with him - so she expanded his role and did some ret-conning as the episodes and seasons went on. But, I would assume that ASP had a plan in mind when mapping out that first season. She knew that she was eventually going to kill Cinnamon so why not have it be a female cat to start, or leave Cinnamon as a male cat in Cinnamon's Wake?

The cat's sex makes absolutely no difference to the story one way or the other. I'm sure they just forgot that they wrote "he" the first time.  Or Sally Struthers forgot the script said she and said he instead and nobody bothered correcting her because who cares?  My cat is a girl and my parents constantly refer to her as he. 

Or, maybe Cinnamon decided to be transgendered.

Edited by Katy M
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

The cat's sex makes absolutely no difference to the story one way or the other. I'm sure they just forgot that they wrote "he" the first time.  Or Sally Struthers forgot the script said she and said he instead and nobody bothered correcting her because who cares?  My cat is a girl and my parents constantly refer to her as he. 

I never said it made any difference to the story. I said it was an odd continuity error. You have two main characters and a B-character (Lorelay, Rory, and Babbette, and I believe Morry does as well when he yells over to Babbette that Cinnamon got loose from where he was stuck) all referring to the cat as he and then 3 or 4 episodes later the cat (who is titular to the episode) is a female. It wouldn't be noticeable if they hadn't built an entire episode around the death of the cat. It's a small thing, but I thought that was the purpose of a nitpicking thread.

• Love 1

Nitpick for me in season one lane goes to a party with Rory and Lorelai is completely fine with lying to Ms Kim about her going ( it’s not stated but her knowing how strict Ms Kim is there is no way she would have let her go without a lie) yet when lane wants to go on a double date Rory says her mom won’t lie about where they are going because she can’t lie to another parent. Ummm What the what? So going to a HS party where overprivliged children could be doing god knows what is fine but she draws the line about going to a movie on a double date?

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Nitpick for me in season one lane goes to a party with Rory and Lorelai is completely fine with lying to Ms Kim about her going ( it’s not stated but her knowing how strict Ms Kim is there is no way she would have let her go without a lie) yet when lane wants to go on a double date Rory says her mom won’t lie about where they are going because she can’t lie to another parent. Ummm What the what? So going to a HS party where overprivliged children could be doing god knows what is fine but she draws the line about going to a movie on a double date?

I don't remember Lorelai lying to Mrs. Kim about the party, but I DID think her attitude during Concert Interruptus was inconsistent. When Rory tells her that Lane decided to be stupid and tell Mrs. Kim about the concert, Lorelai agreed that it was "so stupid" of her tell her mom the truth. I doubt she would want Rory lying to her about her wherabouts - especially considering it was taking place in another state. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, MatildaMoody said:

I don't remember Lorelai lying to Mrs. Kim about the party, but I DID think her attitude during Concert Interruptus was inconsistent. When Rory tells her that Lane decided to be stupid and tell Mrs. Kim about the concert, Lorelai agreed that it was "so stupid" of her tell her mom the truth. I doubt she would want Rory lying to her about her wherabouts - especially considering it was taking place in another state. 

And the party had to have been in Hartford because I don’t see those kids livin close to or in starshallow so she knew lane was going out of town to a party she would have definitely known ms Kim would have freaked it’s just something that annoyed me lol 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Here's one that I don't think I've mentioned before but always drives me nuts.  In The Breakup Part 2, Rory says that they can't go to Luke's on any of their usual or alternate routes.  They can't go the regular way because Dean may be working at Doose's Market.  They can't go another way because it will take them by the school and Dean may be playing football if he's not scheduled to work.  They can't go yet another way because it's the street he lives on.  All of that is fine and it's 100% a teenager thing to do this but it honestly makes no sense.  Rory woke Lorelai up at 6am, Lorelai didn't shower (meaning she only needed minutes to get dressed), and they had a short talk in the kitchen about wallowing.  That means that, at the latest, they're on their way to Luke's at around 630am.  Rory even calls the crowd at the diner "the 6 am crowd" when Lorelai remarks on how many people are there.  It's made clear to us that it's super early in the morning.  Then why is Rory worried about running into Dean?  Even if there's regularly a huge Saturday morning crowd I can't imagine Taylor would actually open Doose's before 7am and, even if he did, I doubt he'd schedule Dean that early.  He's a pain but seems to be a fair boss.  Also, I'd like to meet the group of teenage boys who voluntarily gather to play football before 7am.  And in the cold?  Not a chance.  Rory's concern about going down Dean's street is the only one that actually works, since we see that he is up that early when he arrives at Luke's and they may have run into him if they'd taken that route.  But, since logic makes their original and first alternate routes available to walk, going down his street also stops being a concern.  The Ps could have gotten them in that alley if they'd just had the Girls do some of their list shopping and then walk to Luke's for lunch.  Then it would be late enough for all of Rory's route concerns to make sense. 

ETA: I just rewatched that whole scene and, after Luke throws Dean out of the diner and right when Lorelai and Rory start list shopping, there's even an old timey outdoor clock that shows the time as 627am.  Makes it that much worse.

How can there be a Saturday 6am breakfast crew if Luke doesn't even get there till 6?

In order to cook, prep must be done, oil must be heated (that takes a good 20 minutes), etc.

Also, when Lorelai forgets to paint with Luke, she is at the diner at 0615.  The diner says closed - be back at 0600 (Luke says he is late, but the sign does say 6).

Doesn't he live there? Where is he late from? Why is he opening it from outside?  Why is it already light outside?

So many issues...

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, stan4 said:

How can there be a Saturday 6am breakfast crew if Luke doesn't even get there till 6?

In order to cook, prep must be done, oil must be heated (that takes a good 20 minutes), etc.

Also, when Lorelai forgets to paint with Luke, she is at the diner at 0615.  The diner says closed - be back at 0600 (Luke says he is late, but the sign does say 6).

Doesn't he live there? Where is he late from? Why is he opening it from outside?  Why is it already light outside?

So many issues...

He had a late night booty call? Lol 

Nothing about Lorelai and Rory being habitués of Luke's diner ever made sense.

Rory : no teenager is getting up daily at least a half hour before they need to in order to drink orange juice and eat eggs alongside some middle-aged working stiffs at some diner.

Lorelai: she manages her own restaurant where she presumably has access to free (or at least heavily discounted) food, prepared by a gourmet chef.  She is not wealthy. Why is she then going out of her way by having breakfast and, frequently, lunch at Luke's?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, clack said:

Nothing about Lorelai and Rory being habitués of Luke's diner ever made sense.

Rory : no teenager is getting up daily at least a half hour before they need to in order to drink orange juice and eat eggs alongside some middle-aged working stiffs at some diner.

Lorelai: she manages her own restaurant where she presumably has access to free (or at least heavily discounted) food, prepared by a gourmet chef.  She is not wealthy. Why is she then going out of her way by having breakfast and, frequently, lunch at Luke's?

That's a good point.  I could see maybe Lorelei not being able to make it alllll the way to the inn without grabbing a coffee, but the food doesn't make a lot of sense.  Rory might make slightly more sense where breakfast is concerned, because I remember a couple of times her meeting Lane there.  After she switched schools, it would make sense for it to be important for them to meet up for breakfast and I remember Lane saying that Luke's was one of the few Mrs. Kim-approved places in town.  Why, I'm not sure, although Lane did list out the reasons.  No alcohol, OK, but there had to be other places with no alcohol.

44 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That's a good point.  I could see maybe Lorelei not being able to make it alllll the way to the inn without grabbing a coffee, but the food doesn't make a lot of sense.  Rory might make slightly more sense where breakfast is concerned, because I remember a couple of times her meeting Lane there.  After she switched schools, it would make sense for it to be important for them to meet up for breakfast and I remember Lane saying that Luke's was one of the few Mrs. Kim-approved places in town.  Why, I'm not sure, although Lane did list out the reasons.  No alcohol, OK, but there had to be other places with no alcohol.

Prolly bc Mrs Kim knew Luke was a no-nonsense curmudgeonly soulmate.

Lane was almost never at Luke's with them at breakfast. And she did go to the inn one morning before school (when Rory got cookies from Sookie to give Dean). So they could have all always eaten breakfast at the inn.  Free.  And probably healthier and better tasting.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Why, I'm not sure, although Lane did list out the reasons.  No alcohol, OK, but there had to be other places with no alcohol.

I think another reason had to do with location. Mrs. Kim could easily see what was happening at the diner from their home. 

That's a recurrent trope in TV shows: teenagers/adults having a full day before having to go to school/work. Plus everyone in town is already awake and walking around. Rory's school had got to start pretty early, cause, well, it's HS. She must already need about 45 minutes to an hour of bus ride to get there. That's intense for a teenager to wake up that early without adding the whole breakfast deal into it!

Personally, I calculate how much time I need to get ready in the morning, and wake up accordingly. I don't go "Oh, I have work at 9am, it takes me 45 minutes to get there, 45 minutes to get ready, so I'll wake up at 5am so I can do a load of laundry, cook some cookies, stop at a diner to get a full breakfast, and useless lengthy conversations with the owner..."

• Love 6

This isn't a nitpick about the show, but it amused me and I don't know where else to put it.

Doing the quotes for the latest Elimination Game, I came across this little treasure in the episode scripts, from You Jump, I Jump, Jack -

EMILY: Richard! That hurts-out-loud is not capable of running a complex business!

LOL!!!  Hurts-out-loud!  What an insult!  (What she actually calls him is a 'hirsute lout'.)

Filing that one right up there with the best misunderstood lyrics of the 80's.

• Love 4

I just rewatched the Bracebridge Dinner episode. It really bugged me that everyone treated Emily like she was overreacting to Richard quitting his job without telling her. I feel like she had every reason to be upset about it. Not because of the loss of income, but because that's just something you talk to your spouse about beforehand. I get it that it was a spur of the moment decision on Richard's part, but I don't understand why he wouldn't at least tell Emily immediately afterward. I think there were times when Richard's bad behavior was brushed over in favor of making Emily the bad guy. There are plenty of instances of this throughout the season, but this was one that really stood out to me. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, MatildaMoody said:

I just rewatched the Bracebridge Dinner episode. It really bugged me that everyone treated Emily like she was overreacting to Richard quitting his job without telling her. I feel like she had every reason to be upset about it. Not because of the loss of income, but because that's just something you talk to your spouse about beforehand. I get it that it was a spur of the moment decision on Richard's part, but I don't understand why he wouldn't at least tell Emily immediately afterward. I think there were times when Richard's bad behavior was brushed over in favor of making Emily the bad guy. There are plenty of instances of this throughout the season, but this was one that really stood out to me. 

I think Richard was a real jerk to his wife...a lot.

Letting his mother treat her like crap.

The whole P Lott lunch thing.

Diminishing/minimizing her activities/contributions.  The condescension.

Never consulting her/talking to her about career decisions.

Hitting her with a car??!!!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, stan4 said:

Yep. Even in what were supposed to be "fun Richard" moments, like Richard in Stars Hollow, he is an overbearing jerk. Lecturing Lorelai about how she runs the Inn. Putting his 2 cents in about the car that Dean built for Rory - which should have been a bonding moment for him and Dean since Richard likes restoring old cars. And when he got called on it at the very end, he gives this sob story about how he was only invited there because Emily wanted to get rid of him. And Lorelai immediately feels guilty when she had every right to be angry with him. And the way that he let his mother talk to his wife, and the way he even encouraged it was just appalling. 

• Love 6

I absolutely hated how Richard would just smirk and act like it was a big joke when his mother would make idiotic comments about how Emily was five minutes late with the meal or whatever. It was sooo incredibly rude and disrespectful, and Richard could clearly see that Emily was very stressed and it was upsetting her to be talked to in that way. I really don’t understand why he couldn’t have had a quiet word with his mother and asked her to treat his wife more appropriately when she’s staying in their home, he was certainly quick enough to angrily speak up when Trix aimed a jab at him in the conversation on lending money 

Edited by Frelling Tralk
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, Frelling Tralk said:

I really don’t understand why he couldn’t have had a quiet word with his mother and asked her to treat his wife more appropriately when she’s staying in their home,

He may have.  My father's mother was the same way.  Hated my mom and let everybody know it.  Not sure why my mom ever let her in the house.  And, don't even get me started on when all three grandparents would be over at the same time for holidays. Oh, how I hated holidays.

40 minutes ago, Katy M said:

He may have.  My father's mother was the same way.  Hated my mom and let everybody know it.  Not sure why my mom ever let her in the house.  And, don't even get me started on when all three grandparents would be over at the same time for holidays. Oh, how I hated holidays.

Anyone talking like that would not be allowed in my home.

Period.

In fact, my father-in-law's wife (not my MIL - long-divorced) is such a psycho b***** to everyone (except me - don't know why), she is not allowed in my home.  She has not even been rude to me and I won't let her in.  I can't understand letting in people who are directly rude to your loved ones.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

Somehow, I don't believe he did. In that episode where Emily saw his mother kissing the guy in the tracksuit, Richard made it a point to tell Lorelai that he was uncomfortable with his wife and mother getting along. And he was relieved when Emily came down complaining about how she knows perfectly well how to serve tea. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, MatildaMoody said:

Somehow, I don't believe he did. In that episode where Emily saw his mother kissing the guy in the tracksuit, Richard made it a point to tell Lorelai that he was uncomfortable with his wife and mother getting along. And he was relieved when Emily came down complaining about how she knows perfectly well how to serve tea. 

I remembered that because it disturbed me. He should be happy that they were finally getting along and yet he wasn't. That's crappy of him.

20 hours ago, stan4 said:

This yes! He was a real jerk. All of these things. Who allowed his mother to treat his wife like crap? He never once speaks up to defend his wife or tell his mother to knock it off. The Pennilynn Lott part ticked me off. Emily had every right to be ticked off about that. He hid it their entire marriage, that makes it a big deal. And yes he was always talking down about her activities, fundraisers and stuff. What really blew me away was him doing that after they got back together. When he makes that remark at Rory's 21st birthday party and Emily immediately realizes he doesn't want Rory to have Emily's life. There's nothing wrong with what Emily did. She was involved in a lot of committees and fundraisers. I really wondered right then and there how Emily felt about that and how she could just brush it off. The split that only happened after what Richard did to Jason, Emily although angry at Lorelai for keeping that from her but was immediately concerned that what Richard did would make Lorelai leave and never come back (that's been Emily's biggest fear since Lorelai came back into their lives) and that if Lorelai left Rory would too. Richard blows it off and blows her off which makes her leave. The other really big thing that was left off the list was when it came out that RICHARD was the one who let Rory move in and drop out of college, Emily was ready to go along with Lorelai's plan to try and talk sense into Rory but Richard caved. 

• Love 2