Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, huahaha said:

In what universe do the parents of tweenage girls (like April) allow the birthday girl's recently estranged father to host an impromptu sleepover??

And assuming they were ok with that, who isn't relieved that a grown woman was there to chaperone after all?

12 minutes ago, marineg said:

And I agree. If they said yes to Luke, a man who has be a "part time" father (he probably only had her visit and rarely stay at her place before the whole Anna's mom is sick thing) in what world would Lorelai, a 36 year old woman with a 20 year old daughter be weird?

Lord, yes.  ASP was so far off in her own bizarro world sometimes it boggles the mind.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, huahaha said:

I haven't seen the original episodes in years, but one scene is bugging me out of nowhere. In what universe do the parents of tweenage girls (like April) allow the birthday girl's recently estranged father to host an impromptu sleepover??

And assuming they were ok with that, who isn't relieved that a grown woman was there to chaperone after all?

I always thought that was weird too because they don't know them. They know April and Anna. But the birthday party is probably the first time any of the parents met Luke. None of them decide to stay and hang out? Their just totally okay with leaving their daughters with him in another town and then totally okay with it turning into a slumber party. But oh no, the idea that his girlfriend was there, that was too much for them? 

The Anna and April plots made no sense generally, but ASP was not living on the planet for this one. Men are run off the playground for watching their own kids. Ain't nobody giving an unknown dude free reign overnight with a pack of girls.

Yeah, pretty much none of them made any sense from April's DNA science experiment to Anna's stupid excuse for not telling Luke about April. For being on the show only about a year  and half I ended up hating Anna as much as Christopher. As much as I wanted to see Rory call Christopher out I wanted to see April do the same to Anna. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I always thought that was weird too because they don't know them. They know April and Anna. But the birthday party is probably the first time any of the parents met Luke. None of them decide to stay and hang out? Their just totally okay with leaving their daughters with him in another town and then totally okay with it turning into a slumber party. But oh no, the idea that his girlfriend was there, that was too much for them? 

Yeah, pretty much none of them made any sense from April's DNA science experiment to Anna's stupid excuse for not telling Luke about April. For being on the show only about a year  and half I ended up hating Anna as much as Christopher. As much as I wanted to see Rory call Christopher out I wanted to see April do the same to April. 

ASP and her husband had this weird view on how an absent parent or someone who believes what an "absent parent" is. Christopher was a major asshole who ASP was in love with the actor on her shows. No matter what he did, he had everyone cater to him "not being an asshole" and we were to believe this too, but that was not what happened. Then you add in Anna's reasons and everything it just... boggles the mind how ASP thought this was a way to behave. Of course, yet another actor that ASP loved and would put in her shows for whatever reasons. I've nitpicked Anna and April to death the last few years, I could stay here all night.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, readster said:

ASP and her husband had this weird view on how an absent parent or someone who believes what an "absent parent" is. Christopher was a major asshole who ASP was in love with the actor on her shows. No matter what he did, he had everyone cater to him "not being an asshole" and we were to believe this too, but that was not what happened. Then you add in Anna's reasons and everything it just... boggles the mind how ASP thought this was a way to behave. Of course, yet another actor that ASP loved and would put in her shows for whatever reasons. I've nitpicked Anna and April to death the last few years, I could stay here all night.

They really did. I really don't understand it. For all her love of the actor she doesn't actually do anything to make Christopher look good. It really wouldn't have been that hard. Even if they just started with season one. I could go on forever on Christopher, Anna and April too. She oddly did the same thing with Liz. I know we're suppose to think she's just a flaky, but lovable person. But she was a crappy parent to Jess, constantly dating and marrying lowlifes, who stole from her, that Luke then had to bail out, ships her son to him with no warning, takes food from the diner when she wanted him to meet TJ, makes him do everything for her wedding, cries and makes him make TJ a contractor or whatever and pay him to do nothing, and tried to sell his boat out from under him.  

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

They really did. I really don't understand it. For all her love of the actor she doesn't actually do anything to make Christopher look good. It really wouldn't have been that hard. Even if they just started with season one. I could go on forever on Christopher, Anna and April too. She oddly did the same thing with Liz. I know we're suppose to think she's just a flaky, but lovable person. But she was a crappy parent to Jess, constantly dating and marrying lowlifes, who stole from her, that Luke then had to bail out, ships her son to him with no warning, takes food from the diner when she wanted him to meet TJ, makes him do everything for her wedding, cries and makes him make TJ a contractor or whatever and pay him to do nothing, and tried to sell his boat out from under him.  

That's the thing, we were "suppose" to see they were good people at heart who just made bad decisions. Instead, they came off as terrible people who continued to make very very stupid decisions and everyone let them get away with it. Same with Taylor or Kurt, the two did some very, very stupid things, yet everyone just hand waved it as: "oh those two, when will they learn?" Apparently when they are dead. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, readster said:

That's the thing, we were "suppose" to see they were good people at heart who just made bad decisions. Instead, they came off as terrible people who continued to make very very stupid decisions and everyone let them get away with it. Same with Taylor or Kurt, the two did some very, very stupid things, yet everyone just hand waved it as: "oh those two, when will they learn?" Apparently when they are dead. 

Yes, we were but nope. That's exactly how they came off and we never got to see any of them finally grow up, mature, or do better. Or get called out on their behavior. If that's what they wanted us to see they needed to show us that. But they never do. Like with Taylor we're suppose to feel bad when Jackson runs against him and wins because of the sad scene of him alone in his ice cream shop. When the whole thing is his own fault. If he hadn't gotten on Jackson over something so stupid it never would have happened. He's surprised that no votes for him? He's done crap like that for years. Or Kirk when he left his mom's house and made people take him in for nights, and had the nerve complained about various people he stayed with. Or crashes his car into Luke's which was the camera's fault. But then opens up his identical Luke diner Kirk outdoors and telling Luke its because they need a diner. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Yes, we were but nope. That's exactly how they came off and we never got to see any of them finally grow up, mature, or do better. Or get called out on their behavior. If that's what they wanted us to see they needed to show us that. But they never do. Like with Taylor we're suppose to feel bad when Jackson runs against him and wins because of the sad scene of him alone in his ice cream shop. When the whole thing is his own fault. If he hadn't gotten on Jackson over something so stupid it never would have happened. He's surprised that no votes for him? He's done crap like that for years. Or Kirk when he left his mom's house and made people take him in for nights, and had the nerve complained about various people he stayed with. Or crashes his car into Luke's which was the camera's fault. But then opens up his identical Luke diner Kirk outdoors and telling Luke its because they need a diner. 

Oh that moment when Kirk did that, that was when his character officially jump the shark. That was so horrible and made no sense and Lulu just let him do it? It as bad as the fact the show was gone for almost a decade and then Kirk is still doing odd jobs and Lulu NOW wants kids with Kirk when he's in his 50s and she is in her mid 40s? Right!

• Love 1
17 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, pretty much none of them made any sense from April's DNA science experiment to Anna's stupid excuse for not telling Luke about April.

I hated her reason. Luke never liked kids? In what world is that a good reason not to tell someone he is a father? For 13 years!

9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Like with Taylor we're suppose to feel bad when Jackson runs against him and wins because of the sad scene of him alone in his ice cream shop. When the whole thing is his own fault.

That scene would have been really heartbreaking if it wasn't followed by him going up on stage and telling everyone they are stupid and made a mistake. It would have been a good turning point for his character. They should have had Jackson struggle for a few episodes, like they did, but instead of then one day have Taylor be back in the job, it would have been nice to see Jackson go to Taylor and ask for advice or something, and have Taylor realize that the way he had been doing things wasn't working, and Jackson see that he isn't cut out for the job, and then Taylor gets his job back.

9 hours ago, readster said:

Lulu NOW wants kids with Kirk when he's in his 50s and she is in her mid 40s? Right!

They treated the revival like everything stopped in 10 years when the show wasn't on the air. Lorelai and Luke were back together, but for 10 years they didn't settle their issues over April? Didn't get married? Didn't talk kids? They had all those conversations in Season 7. So 11 years later they are at the same stage of their life? Lorelai never thought about expanding the Dragonfly? She was just fine with her career? We always saw her with ambition, why didn't that apply during those 10 years? Same for Rory and her non-existant career.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, marineg said:

I hated her reason. Luke never liked kids? In what world is that a good reason not to tell someone he is a father? For 13 years!

They treated the revival like everything stopped in 10 years when the show wasn't on the air. Lorelai and Luke were back together, but for 10 years they didn't settle their issues over April? Didn't get married? Didn't talk kids? They had all those conversations in Season 7. So 11 years later they are at the same stage of their life? Lorelai never thought about expanding the Dragonfly? She was just fine with her career? We always saw her with ambition, why didn't that apply during those 10 years? Same for Rory and her non-existant career.

Right it was like ASP was: "I didn't write the last season, so screw it, all out the window, I don't need someone's else plans, these are my characters and I convinced Netflix to bring us back, so I'm doing it the way I WANTED to write these characters again." Plus, I love how they said that the Summer Episode ate up all their budget because of doing that very stupid musical the NEVER WANTED TO END! With more of ASP "favorite actors". 

That scene would have been really heartbreaking if it wasn't followed by him going up on stage and telling everyone they are stupid and made a mistake. It would have been a good turning point for his character. They should have had Jackson struggle for a few episodes, like they did, but instead of then one day have Taylor be back in the job, it would have been nice to see Jackson go to Taylor and ask for advice or something, and have Taylor realize that the way he had been doing things wasn't working, and Jackson see that he isn't cut out for the job, and then Taylor gets his job back.

Right and if they went there it would have been fine. Instead they an episode end where Jackson was trying to avoid doing a town meeting (because why wouldn't the mayor call it?). To the next episode Taylor is back to the job and they admitted there was a cut scene in the previous episode where Jackson goes; "I can't do this, have fun with it." Instead of character growth a true shake up of the status quo. ASP and her husband were all: "Ah... status quo and lazy writing." 

• Love 4

The musical number, are you talking about Stars Hollow: The Musical, or that nonsensical dressed up dance between Rory and the Life & Death Brigade? Or that weird wedding set up at the end? Cause they were all crazy!

Edited by marineg
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I bet they broke the bank bringing in Sutton Foster for that debacle.  I'm sure she doesn't come cheap.

Well, she was in Bunheads along with Kelly Bishop, Julia Goldani Telles, Stacey Oristano, and Bailey De Young. So maybe she agreed to a pay cut for her friends the Palladinos.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I bet they broke the bank bringing in Sutton Foster for that debacle.  I'm sure she doesn't come cheap.

Yes, the Stars Hallow Music broke it and then they put the rest in the Life and Death Brigade. They even talked about it after it was on Netflix for a month. Even saying they should have re thought about what they spent the budget on.  Idiots!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, marineg said:

They'd have been better served to just pretend that only a year or so had passed since the series finale.  Yeah we'd have mocked it since all the actors look their real life ages but it would have made way more sense than everyone being at a stand still until the revival began as if they knew they were being filmed.  Then some story choices like Lorelai and Luke getting pregnant, which was part of the Ps original plan since they foreshadowed children for them before the series went off the rails, could have been included realistically.  Only Rory's stalled career story worked with the 10 years later thing and that wasn't dependent on time so it could have easily worked only a year or so after the series. 

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Only Rory's stalled career story worked with the 10 years later thing and that wasn't dependent on time so it could have easily worked only a year or so after the series. 

Right, that did make sense. Of course, Rory "forgetting" to break up with her boyfriend, going back to Logan and then to the point she gets knocked up by him or the fact that Logan wasn't going to leave his fiance for her. Rang more of season 5-6 Rory and not someone who spent a decade trying to be a true reporter. Even the L & D Brigade about how they had knee and hip replacements at their age from all the stupid crap they did then trying to still do it. Well, sorry folks, you might not be "old" but your bodies don't work the same at 30 than at 21 when you do stupid things like jump off bridges and do stuff that almost kills you. Duh!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, marineg said:

Me too. There was no excuse for her not tell him. 

That would have been great. We could have seen real growth from Taylor. They could have shown him trying to do better in the following episodes. 

That really was the weird part. Everyone acting like ten years hadn't happened and yet it did. Luke and Lorelai not talking about anything for a year or so would make sense they got back together after a big break up. Ten years is stupid and makes zero sense. Same with Rory and her "career". Its a hard career to break into. A year out of college we could see Rory trying and struggling. Instead of not trying, not struggling, picking what story she wants to do, and being unprofessional in everyway.  It is very odd that Lorelai never thought of expanding the Dragonfly. Its just so weird for an inn owner. They are usually are always dreaming of that. Adding more land, buildings, extra stuff to their inn. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, readster said:

Right it was like ASP was: "I didn't write the last season, so screw it, all out the window, I don't need someone's else plans, these are my characters and I convinced Netflix to bring us back, so I'm doing it the way I WANTED to write these characters again." Plus, I love how they said that the Summer Episode ate up all their budget because of doing that very stupid musical the NEVER WANTED TO END! With more of ASP "favorite actors". 

I hated that musical so much. It was bad, it was boring and never ending. They could have taken the time from that and the L&D and maybe finished some of the storylines they dropped. Like most of them. She also apparently decided her way was to take away any and all growth characters had by the finale and make the rest even worse.  Way to go ASP! There's nothing more inspiring then that. 

3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

They'd have been better served to just pretend that only a year or so had passed since the series finale.  Yeah we'd have mocked it since all the actors look their real life ages but it would have made way more sense than everyone being at a stand still until the revival began as if they knew they were being filmed.  Then some story choices like Lorelai and Luke getting pregnant, which was part of the Ps original plan since they foreshadowed children for them before the series went off the rails, could have been included realistically.  Only Rory's stalled career story worked with the 10 years later thing and that wasn't dependent on time so it could have easily worked only a year or so after the series. 

That would have made so much more sense.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, readster said:

Right, that did make sense. Of course, Rory "forgetting" to break up with her boyfriend, going back to Logan and then to the point she gets knocked up by him or the fact that Logan wasn't going to leave his fiance for her. Rang more of season 5-6 Rory and not someone who spent a decade trying to be a true reporter. Even the L & D Brigade about how they had knee and hip replacements at their age from all the stupid crap they did then trying to still do it. Well, sorry folks, you might not be "old" but your bodies don't work the same at 30 than at 21 when you do stupid things like jump off bridges and do stuff that almost kills you. Duh!

Yeah, that whole thing. If they had been busy working or doing something productive since graduating it really would have been much better to see them reunite for one last L& D event, trying to recapture the good old days or something. Nope, they were all just as obnoxious as they were since college if not worse. They graduated and continued to be the same obnoxious assholes. Yea?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

She also apparently decided her way was to take away any and all growth characters had by the finale and make the rest even worse.  Way to go ASP! There's nothing more inspiring then that. 

Ha ha! That legit made me LOL.

• Love 2

I didn't mind the musical. I just didn't think it belonged in the show. What was the therapist doing there too? And the LDB dance was weird too, they never did anything of the sort. Stupid stuff, yeah. But dancing in the middle of the street in steampunk outfits wasn't exactly them. The banter, yes. The spending of money, yes. That, not so much. And where were the people of SH? They're always up in people's business, but at no later than 8pm (Rory was still at work) and everybody's at home with earplugs? Or were they too drunk from the stupid secret bar to care?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, marineg said:

I didn't mind the musical. I just didn't think it belonged in the show. What was the therapist doing there too? And the LDB dance was weird too, they never did anything of the sort. Stupid stuff, yeah. But dancing in the middle of the street in steampunk outfits wasn't exactly them. The banter, yes. The spending of money, yes. That, not so much. And where were the people of SH? They're always up in people's business, but at no later than 8pm (Rory was still at work) and everybody's at home with earplugs? Or were they too drunk from the stupid secret bar to care?

I think what bothered me most about the LDB sequence is that is totally jarring. For all it's quirkiness and whimsy, GG was always rooted in something approaching reality. Dream-ish  sequences were never a part if the GG wheelhouse, and it didn't mesh well with the show's atmosphere. Even the musical, pointless and over long as it was, didn't seem as out of left field as the LDB scene.

• Love 4

Veering away from the recent discussion, anyone else ever wonder why Young!Lorelai didn't have a horse, or at least riding lessons?  The implication from a few different scenes is that she loved horses but was never allowed to have one.  Why on earth not?  I thought it was a "thing" for young accomplished young women (read: WASPs) to have a horse and/or riding lessons.  I'm sure there were places nearby she could have stabled one and been able to ride it whenever she wanted.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

Veering away from the recent discussion, anyone else ever wonder why Young!Lorelai didn't have a horse, or at least riding lessons?  The implication from a few different scenes is that she loved horses but was never allowed to have one.  Why on earth not?  I thought it was a "thing" for young accomplished young women (read: WASPs) to have a horse and/or riding lessons.  I'm sure there were places nearby she could have stabled one and been able to ride it whenever she wanted.

That I can chalk up to Emily. Even with the horses at the Dragon Fly later on, she was kind of: "Uh... horses!" 

• Love 1

Yeah but there is a difference between horses and competitively riding horses. And I think that could have actually been, in the real world, an activity that Lorelai loved and Emily approved of. But yeah, ASP again. 

And Emily knows that Lorelai loves horses, because when L&L plan on getting married, E&R want to buy them a house, and Emily finds a great one and says there are stables and a lot of property so she can get horses. I actually thought that whole scene was really beautiful between Emily and Lorelai, talking about her and Luke having kids, and bribing Taylor so they can get a SH address. So sweet.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, marineg said:

Yeah but there is a difference between horses and competitively riding horses. And I think that could have actually been, in the real world, an activity that Lorelai loved and Emily approved of. But yeah, ASP again. 

And Emily knows that Lorelai loves horses, because when L&L plan on getting married, E&R want to buy them a house, and Emily finds a great one and says there are stables and a lot of property so she can get horses. I actually thought that whole scene was really beautiful between Emily and Lorelai, talking about her and Luke having kids, and bribing Taylor so they can get a SH address. So sweet.

It really was a great scene. It showed how far Emily had come by finding a house that would be perfect for Lorelai and Luke. It really sounded like a place they both would love and that she went even further to bribe Taylor so it would have a SH address? It was so wonderful and nice. She knew how important that was to Lorelai. The whole thing was a big sign that she let go of what she wanted, her dream for Lorelai to come home, live the DAR life and it was perfect. 

• Love 4
On 4/26/2019 at 5:27 AM, marineg said:

And where were the people of SH? They're always up in people's business, but at no later than 8pm (Rory was still at work) and everybody's at home with earplugs? Or were they too drunk from the stupid secret bar to care?

you know Ms Kim would have been all over this 

• Love 2
(edited)

I wouldn't even limit to a pop culture fan. She grew up privileged. Yes, her mother struggled, but she always had food on the table, lived in a big house in Connecticut when there was only two of them, constantly spent time at the Independence Inn, which always had wealthy people there, and her grandparents were rich. And yes, she watched a lot of films/tv and read magazines. There is no way she didn't know what it was. I knew what a Birkin was at 13. 

Edited by marineg
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, marineg said:

I wouldn't even limit to a pop culture fan. She grew up privileged. Yes, her mother struggled, but she always had food on the table, lived in a big house in Connecticut when there was only two of them, constantly spent time at the Independence Inn, which always had wealthy people there, and her grandparents were rich. And yes, she watched a lot of films/tv and read magazines. There is no way she didn't know what it was. I knew what a Birkin was at 13. 

Especially from Emily. The way Emily talked about the bag when Rory told her Logan gave it to her and to Richard when she saw the bag herself. There's no way Rory wouldn't have hear it. Emily says she's dropped hints to Richard for her birthday. There's no way she wouldn't have talked about it with Rory and Lorelai. How much she wanted it, her disappointment that Richard wouldn't buy her one or even asking Rory to talk to her grandfather about it for Emily's birthday. 

54 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I had no idea what a Birkin bag was until I saw that episode. 

Ditto.  But I was well into middle age when GG started and working 60 hour weeks.  No kids to keep me current so I missed 99% of their references anyway. 

Except for the Romanovs.  I'm with Luke on that one.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 6/1/2019 at 6:05 PM, marineg said:

Let's not forget that she had also been hanging out with DAR women and female members of the Life and Death Brigade for a while at this point. So, I agree that it is very odd that she would have absolutely no idea what Birken bag was. 

• Love 1

I've never heard of that either and I grew up middle class. I'm not into fashion at all and I am the kind of person who uses a purse until it falls apart before buying another one.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, blueray said:

I'm not into fashion at all and I am the kind of person who uses a purse until it falls apart before buying another one.

Ditto.  Usually something from Target.

• Love 3
On 6/1/2019 at 6:41 PM, chessiegal said:

I had no idea what a Birkin bag was until I saw that episode. But I grew up in a lower middle class household, even though these days I could afford one if I wanted one.

I didn't know what it was, either. A few people elaborated in the facebook group, a few months ago, that you have to shop a lot in one of their special stores, and then you get to pick out a bag? Paying for that, too, not as a freebie.

You have to be either a celebrity or very rich or whatever to get one fast. Most put their name on a waiting list, and have to wait years. Of course there are various colors and leather so it varies, but they are hand-made so there aren't that many made each year.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm normally pretty tolerant of the ridiculous that shows up, but Rory studying for finals several days before graduation is super ridiculous.

Why?  I guess because she's Rory she was also studying weeks beforehand, but I'm sure she would also study the night before each final.

Who has finals 3 days before graduation? They'd already named her Valedictorian which requires calculation of GPAs. How can you calculate GPAs if final exams aren't complete? Our final exams were finished 2 weeks before graduation.

11 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Who has finals 3 days before graduation? They'd already named her Valedictorian which requires calculation of GPAs. How can you calculate GPAs if final exams aren't complete? Our final exams were finished 2 weeks before graduation.

I did.  Our last finals were on Thursday and we graduated that  Sunday, and yes the valedictorian and salutatorian had already been named.  Realisitically speaking, I guess they figure that most kids aren't going to do markedly different on their finals than they did during the quarters or semi-finals of each class.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It depends on the school. At mine they arrange the schedules so that seniors are finished the Wednesday before graduation (everyone else finishes that Friday). That gives the teachers enough time to get the grades in. Of course, my school also keeps an eye on the semester grades as it goes to see who is struggling and may need that final exam in order to pass the class at all so there's usually enough notice for the teacher to talk to the student and try to turn things around rather than fail. It didn't surprise me that Rory's exam schedule would be so close to graduation.

It did make me all the more appreciative for my own school though because our system is such that there are a lot of teachers who prefer to do final papers/projects instead of tests and the school policy is that any teacher can allow any student with an A- semester grade to opt out of the final altogether. It's not unusual for the top tier students to have minimal or no exams depending on who their teachers are. If Rory had gone to my school she likely wouldn't have had exams at all and could relax that last week (and she and Lorelai could have used that time for the New York trip the never was). Of course my school also doesn't do the Valedictorian thing and we elect our graduation speaker among students who actually want the job so that particular honor wouldn't have happened at all.

• Love 1

I didn't mind the Stars Hollow musical either (though it did drag on a bit). It was supposed to be bad.  The exposition and silly choreography reminded me of many scenes from The Simpsons whenever they do musicals or dance numbers.

But the LDB scene did bug me- I agree that it was out of place and really did seem like a dream sequence at first.  When I realized it wasn't, my first thought was: how did the guys get their hands on an animatronic crow (programmable to say 'get ready, Rory!') at such short notice??

On another nitpicky note, I read elsewhere on this forum that the sets changed over the years.  Can anyone point some out?  The only one that stood out to me was the living room at Richard&Emily's house (there was a wall that disappeared after season 1)