Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

The Deerhunters is one of my least favorite episodes. If Rory is already running late, why is she calling Lane for some of her notes? What was that going to get her? Get your ass to school!! And why was Precious Rory allowed to be given extra credit to bring up her grade? Was everyone else who didn’t do well on the test offered this boon?

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

The Deerhunters is one of my least favorite episodes. If Rory is already running late, why is she calling Lane for some of her notes? What was that going to get her? Get your ass to school!! And why was Precious Rory allowed to be given extra credit to bring up her grade? Was everyone else who didn’t do well on the test offered this boon?

Apparently Lane was going to have to read her her notes while she drove to school without a license while talking on the phone.  

• Love 1

My biggest nitpick of the entire show is Christopher's concept of how to be a father. For some reason, it never occurred to him that he could be a good dad without being in a romantic relationship with the mother of his child. 

One of the things that I hated about the whole Sherry is pregnant storyline was that Chris just went back to Sherri as though nothing happened. He wasn't happy in a relationship with her, but he was going to go back to living together and even get married? Even if you take Lorelai out of the picture, Chris was unhappy and both he and Sherri felt like their relationship had run its course. Why wouldn't he just agree to support his child and be a part of her life without the romantic entanglement? 

Another smaller nitpick I have is why Rory never applied for any college scholarships? I know they planned to apply for financial aid, but it seems weird to me that someone who wrote as much as Rory never applied for any academic, journalistic, or writing scholarships. I mean financial aid, aside from a few grants, is mostly just student loans, so why no scholarships for the really expensive Ivy League schools she applied to?

• Love 3

My nitpick is in Dear Emily and Richard when young Lorelei is putting on her dress and is holding it to try to get it zipped, there is more than enough dress there to zip it up. It wasn’t anywhere near too small. It wouldn’t have been that hard to use a too small dress for God’s sake!

And in Swan Somg-Rory is such a brat to insist Jess tell her about the black eye during dinner. It really could have waited for the 1/2 hour ride home. She could have screamed at him all she wanted uninterrupted then. If I were Jess, I would have stormed out too!!

• Love 5

Watching Rory's Birthday Parties and Lorelai says this:

SOOKIE: God, when was the last time they were here?
LORELAI: Never.
SOOKIE: Not once?
LORELAI: Not since we moved here. I mean, they'd come down and visit is occasionally when Rory was a baby and we lived at the inn, but they have never been here. 

And yet in Emily In Wonderland, Emily acts as if she didn't know where Rory and Lorelai used to live.

RORY: And this is my favorite place.
EMILY: The tool shed?
RORY: No, this is where we used to live.
EMILY: What?
RORY: Right when mom and I moved here, this was our apartment.
EMILY: But. .
(Rory opens the door and walks in. Emily looks in from the doorway.)
RORY: I know it's looks small, but it's really pretty. Come on. See we had our bed right over there, and mom put up this really pretty curtain around the tub so that it looked like a real bathroom. And we would just sit outside at night when the Inn would have parties and we'd just listen to music and feed the ducks and. . . (Emily walks away) Grandma? Grandma wait, what's the matter?

31 minutes ago, marineg said:

And yet in Emily In Wonderland, Emily acts as if she didn't know where Rory and Lorelai used to live.

I just always assumed Emily would meet them in the Inn's dining area for lunch or something and never looked too hard into literally where they were living.  Lorelai probably told her they were staying in a small apartment in the area (not a total lie) and Emily didn't press it.  

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

I just always assumed Emily would meet them in the Inn's dining area for lunch or something and never looked too hard into literally where they were living.  Lorelai probably told her they were staying in a small apartment in the area (not a total lie) and Emily didn't press it.  

So do I. I can't see Lorelai ever letting them know about the potting shed or Emily really asking too much about where they lived. She still wanted them to come home.  I am always confused on why they stayed there until Rory's was eleven though. It makes much more sense for them to stay there for a few months or maybe even a year at most saving up money for a small apartment to move into. From there saving up for a house. It also makes more sense as to why Richard and Emily would stop visiting because getting an apartment or house is more permanent. A clear sign that Lorelai and Rory aren't coming back.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1

Sure that's what I thought too. But from that first scene inn Rory's Birthday Parties, watching Lorelai say it, it doesn't seem like she was hiding anything. But I can see that. I even doubt that from later Emily/Richard/Lorelai interactions, that they did make it down to the inn. ASP probably changed that little plot line. Emily didn't know Mia, and didn't have any pictures from Rory as a baby/toddler. It seems, later in the show, after Rory's Birthday Parties, that ASP changed her mind and made it so Emily and Richard never set foot in SH, never met Lorelai's friends, didn't know anything about SH...

• Love 3

Also, from Concert Interruptus, I hate how Lorelai offered to give hers and Sookie's Bangles concert tickets to Madeline and Louise, when it was Sookie who went to all the trouble of working her connections, and paying for them. And then Lorelai didn't ask her if she could give them to Rory's "friends" or if she was okay sitting at the absolute back of the room just so Rory could be a bit more social at her school.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, marineg said:

Also, from Concert Interruptus, I hate how Lorelai offered to give hers and Sookie's Bangles concert tickets to Madeline and Louise, when it was Sookie who went to all the trouble of working her connections, and paying for them. And then Lorelai didn't ask her if she could give them to Rory's "friends" or if she was okay sitting at the absolute back of the room just so Rory could be a bit more social at her school.

That always really bugged me too.

• Love 2
On 12/30/2018 at 12:40 PM, marineg said:

Yeah that was pretty rude.  

On the episode with Fran Weston's funeral - At the end of the service, Rev Skinner says it's now noon, the time Fran would be opening the bakery after church.  He asked the attendants to walk around the town square with Fran one last time.  Cut to them all walking around and Sookie complaining about how long it's taking.  She says it's almost 4.  Did they seriously walk around the town square for 4 hours?

• Love 1

Question. In Welcome to the Doghouse, when Emily sends a whole bunch of stuff to Lorelai and she doesn't want it, instead of donating all those antiques to the Salvation Army, couldn't she sell them to Kim's Antiques? I mean, first of all, that is the Kim's bread and butter so it would bring them good business. Second, it would make Lorelai a good sum of money, and considering the fact that she is not rich and in the middle of remodelling her house, I'm pretty sure she could use that money. Third, it's an absolute waste for wonderful and priceless antiques, passed down generations in her family, to end up donated like that.

Edited by marineg
  • Love 4

This probably has been said before (possibly by me, so feel free to delete this if I mentioned it before). I was rewatching a random episode in season 3.  Emily and Lorelai are having lunch at Luke's to discuss the whole Chris & Sheri situation. Lorelai gets angry at Emily and storms off out of the diner. A few scenes later, they are having a normal conversation at Friday Night Dinner, like nothing happened. Chris comes in and they argue and Emily is on their side by throwing Chris out of the house. However, it doesn't explain why Emily doesn't mention Lorelai walking out during lunch a day or so before?

Watching Lost & Found I'm a little confused on why Jess was just putting the bracelet in Rory's room when Lorelai catches him coming from her room time wise. Lorelai left the house for the Independence Inn for who knows how long. She was looking under the front desk but she might have also checked other places at the Inn and then goes to where Luke was to check out the apartment. It seems like she would have been gone at least a couple hours. I suppose it depends on when Rory left. But she checked her room and they checked the living room that would just leave the kitchen and Lorelai's room before she left. Neither seem like it would take that long. Plus Rory seems like she'd been gone awhile when she returns home and Jess asks her if she found it. Why didn't he go in as soon as Rory left? It seems like he would have had plenty of time to do so when both Gilmores were out of the house.  

29 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Watching Lost & Found I'm a little confused on why Jess was just putting the bracelet in Rory's room when Lorelai catches him coming from her room time wise. Lorelai left the house for the Independence Inn for who knows how long. She was looking under the front desk but she might have also checked other places at the Inn and then goes to where Luke was to check out the apartment. It seems like she would have been gone at least a couple hours. I suppose it depends on when Rory left. But she checked her room and they checked the living room that would just leave the kitchen and Lorelai's room before she left. Neither seem like it would take that long. Plus Rory seems like she'd been gone awhile when she returns home and Jess asks her if she found it. Why didn't he go in as soon as Rory left? It seems like he would have had plenty of time to do so when both Gilmores were out of the house.  

Well I don't think he actually kept the bracelet with him in his pocket or whatever, so after Rory finished searching the house he would have had to find the time to sneak back home to grab it while Rory was running around town square without her noticing him (or Luke, who would have grilled him about leaving before he was finished with the job), and then make it back to Lorelai's to pretend like he'd been working on the gutters the entire time.  Not as easy as it may sound at first.

12 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Well I don't think he actually kept the bracelet with him in his pocket or whatever, so after Rory finished searching the house he would have had to find the time to sneak back home to grab it while Rory was running around town square without her noticing him (or Luke, who would have grilled him about leaving before he was finished with the job), and then make it back to Lorelai's to pretend like he'd been working on the gutters the entire time.  Not as easy as it may sound at first.

Oh, I assumed he had it in his pocket because he would want it near him but not leave it at home where Luke might see it. I don't know if Luke would recognize it as Rory's (I'm really uncertain on that. He seemed to know Lorelai's clothes I don't know if that means he paid attention to Rory wearing a bracelet all the time or not) but I don't think Jess would want Luke to see it in case he does know its Rory's or thinks that Luke would probably tease him about it. I suppose he could have hide it somewhere in the small apartment but I don't know (Liz did manage to hide her pot in his apartment and Luke never noticed so who knows which still seems odd to me given how small his apartment is. He's lived there for who knows how many years and had Rachel and Nicole come and go). I suppose its possible.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Oh, I assumed he had it in his pocket because he would want it near him....

...because carrying a possession of the object of obsession is so teen boy.  I figured he had it with him at all time so to caress when he was alone.

• Love 4

Excuse me if this has been mentioned already...

I noticed this last week and got angry (irrationally so) about it.

The epi where Rachel is in Luke's apartment and Lorelai comes up for the first time, you can see the bathroom in the back part of the apartment. Presumably Rachel is developing film in there, I think.   

Episodes later, that bathroom disappears.  Seasons later that same wall gets smashed by Luke when he wants to build out a bedroom for Jess.  

Case of the Missing Bathroom!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Excuse me if this has been mentioned already...

I noticed this last week and got angry (irrationally so) about it.

The epi where Rachel is in Luke's apartment and Lorelai comes up for the first time, you can see the bathroom in the back part of the apartment. Presumably Rachel is developing film in there, I think.   

Episodes later, that bathroom disappears.  Seasons later that same wall gets smashed by Luke when he wants to build out a bedroom for Jess.  

Case of the Missing Bathroom!

Maybe it went were ever Lorelai's downstairs bathroom went. 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Maybe it went were ever Lorelai's downstairs bathroom went. 

Common case of bathrooms running away together.

On 2/13/2019 at 2:17 PM, deaja said:

Common case of bathrooms running away together.

Ahhhhh so all the while we were supposed to be shipping L&L's relationship, and it's their BATHROOMS that wind up running away together!  Helluva plot twist, Amy & Dan.  Well done. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 10/19/2018 at 10:01 AM, Frelling Tralk said:

I think Richard and Emily took Christopher’s side because in a way they all saw Lorelai as being the one to bail, and her leaving for Stars Hollow was seen as a massive rejection of them all. I know that Lorelai left a note for her parents, but I don’t think it was ever clarified if she said anything to Christopher before running away? It’s certainly all on Chris that he didn’t step up to the plate later on, but I can actually understand why a 16/17 year old Christopher could well have not seen it as a great plan to try and track her down after she had just turned down his proposal and fled without a word to him. 

I don't know about the whole she turned down his proposal and fled without a word thing. Lorelai lived with her parents and Rory for a full year before she ran away. That was plenty of time for Chris to bond with and get to know his child even if Lorelai refused to marry him. That was plenty of time for him to decide he wanted to be a part of Rory's life and he wanted to prove that he could be to Lorelai. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, MatildaMoody said:

I don't know about the whole she turned down his proposal and fled without a word thing. Lorelai lived with her parents and Rory for a full year before she ran away. That was plenty of time for Chris to bond with and get to know his child even if Lorelai refused to marry him. That was plenty of time for him to decide he wanted to be a part of Rory's life and he wanted to prove that he could be to Lorelai. 

Exactly. I always got the impression that Lorelai and Rory were a package deal for Chris. He only seemed to really come around when things seemed possible with Lorelai. Otherwise he was flaky as hell. The only exception to this would be the Sherri time. But, again, that was HER pushing for the relationship. He was most interested in his daughter when he thought he could have a relationship with her mother. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Exactly. I always got the impression that Lorelai and Rory were a package deal for Chris. He only seemed to really come around when things seemed possible with Lorelai. Otherwise he was flaky as hell. The only exception to this would be the Sherri time. But, again, that was HER pushing for the relationship. He was most interested in his daughter when he thought he could have a relationship with her mother. 

Exactly, he has no interest in Rory unless its to impress Sherri or Lorelai. Look when he shows up in Christopher Returns. Its the first time he's ever been to Stars Hollow even though Rory's lived there since she was one. Its not as if Rory and Lorelai moved around a lot. And he didn't know her enough to know she wasn't into sports or in contact with her often enough to know she had a boyfriend.  

• Love 5

Exactly, he has no interest in Rory unless its to impress Sherri or Lorelai. Look when he shows up in Christopher Returns. Its the first time he's ever been to Stars Hollow even though Rory's lived there since she was one. Its not as if Rory and Lorelai moved around a lot. And he didn't know her enough to know she wasn't into sports or in contact with her often enough to know she had a boyfriend.  

I always felt a little for Christopher.  If he's a good parent, regularly involved in Rory's life, that undermines the premise of the show, so he can never really be that.  I honestly can't imagine how Lorelai would ever handle co-parenting.  Her whole thing during the first few seasons is about being fiercely protective of Rory, and making sure that Rory does not stray from the goals that Lorelai has set for her.  I mean, Christopher was weak to the point where Lorelai probably would maintain the control she wanted, but I really don't know if Lorelai could handle a situation where she had to run issues related to Rory by Christopher. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:10 PM, txhorns79 said:

I always felt a little for Christopher.  If he's a good parent, regularly involved in Rory's life, that undermines the premise of the show, so he can never really be that.  I honestly can't imagine how Lorelai would ever handle co-parenting.  Her whole thing during the first few seasons is about being fiercely protective of Rory, and making sure that Rory does not stray from the goals that Lorelai has set for her.  I mean, Christopher was weak to the point where Lorelai probably would maintain the control she wanted, but I really don't know if Lorelai could handle a situation where she had to run issues related to Rory by Christopher. 

There were a few ways they could have gone with Christopher but chose not to. One Chris has a job that keeps him traveling a lot, two he bums around the country trying new jobs but not making it but keeping in touch with his daughter or start from season one with Christopher deciding to do better and really trying. That it starts in Christopher Returns they could keep it the same or mostly (it still bugs me Christopher says nothing while his father insults his daughter) but following that keeps trying. None of those happen. Seven seasons and there's none of that.

But there's so many of Christopher only paying attention to Rory for Sherri or Lorelai. He messes up big twice. Promising that he was going to be here this time when it looked like he and Lorelai were going to get back together and after his behavior at the renewal. But then never show us him trying to it up to Rory. They just throw out in the baby shower episode that Rory and Christopher were in contact. It would have been much more interesting to see Christopher trying to talk to Rory. Maybe he keeps sending her emails and she keeps deleting at first, then thinks about it a few episodes later and ends up reading them. Maybe she answers back her anger, he apologizes, maybe he tries to do something to show that he really does love her and wants to be part of her life or something. The second time Rory just tells her mother they've talked and he explained it. Which Lorelai remarks "He explains it?!" And that's it. Once again we don't get to see how Christopher manages to make up with Rory or why she lets it go. They spend zero time on Rory's and Christopher's relationship, show Christopher doesn't give a crap about her, messing up, etc. but no one ever calls him on it. Rory yells at him but that's it. We had seven seasons where she could have called him out on everything, where he could have tried to step up and be there for her. He says in Christopher Returns he wants that. But doesn't do anything. In season five when he goes to visit her at her dorm before his father dies. He's says he doesn't want things to be how it was between him and his father. Again another chance for him to really try. They wasted all of it.

They don't even show him paying any child support. Its not that hard to write in something like "Chris sends 200 hundred bucks a month, sometimes more sometimes less but he always sends something." Two hundred isn't a lot in the long run but he'd be paying something. Or when he gets that job in season two to start sending in child support payments.  It doesn't matter if Lorelai gives Rory the money to buy books, throws it into college fund, their Europe trip, or something. He's paying something. Even when he inherits all that money, they have Christopher go on a long spill how he's set up Gigi for life. Which is great. But why not do the same thing for Rory? He could easily do that and say there's a clause or something that if Rory wants she can donate everything to charity or something. And pay Lorelai all the back child support he never paid. Again Lorelai could have the option of donating everything to charity.

There's problem is how everyone else treats him Lorelai, Rory, Richard, Emily, its ridiculous that he keeps getting praise or let off the hook for everything. He never once has to deal with the consequences of anything that he's done. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Even when he inherits all that money, they have Christopher go on a long spill how he's set up Gigi for life. Which is great. But why not do the same thing for Rory?

He did offer whatever she wanted, and she let him pay for Yale.  So, it's not like he totally ignored her.

I was thinking the same about the money issue. Even when in the first episode, Lorelai is struggling to find money for Chilton, at no point is it mentioned she has/could contact Christopher to ask for help. It is made very clear inn that first episode that going to her parents is her last resort, and the absolute worse thing she could imagine. So why was contacting Rory's father not even mentioned?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, marineg said:

I was thinking the same about the money issue. Even when in the first episode, Lorelai is struggling to find money for Chilton, at no point is it mentioned she has/could contact Christopher to ask for help. It is made very clear inn that first episode that going to her parents is her last resort, and the absolute worse thing she could imagine. So why was contacting Rory's father not even mentioned?

Because at that point Christopher wasn't gainfully employed. He couldn't even buy her a dictionary in "Christopher Returns".

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Because at that point Christopher wasn't gainfully employed. He couldn't even buy her a dictionary in "Christopher Returns".

To be fair, he probably could have bought her a regular dictionary.  The one she wanted sells at $400 today.  I don't know what it was back then.

And, I just want to say I'm not calling Rory a spoiled brat for wanting that dictionary.  The first thing she said when he offered was no that it cost a fortune.  He insisted.

• Love 2

The point the writers were making was he wasn't rolling in money. He didn't seem surprised his credit card was rejected.

ETA: Which is why Lorelai didn't go to Christopher to pay for Chilton. He didn't have the money.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

The point the writers were making was he wasn't rolling in money. He didn't seem surprised his credit card was rejected.

ETA: Which is why Lorelai didn't go to Christopher to pay for Chilton. He didn't have the money.

No, he didn't. When he did finally get a job in season two he bought the dictionary which was nice. But conveniently child support never came up. 

The credit card thing is so Christopher and what's one of many things that I dislike about him. He tells Rory to pick out something she wants, Rory mentions the dictionary but its a lot of money, Christopher insists, even though its not surprised a minute later when his credit card is declined. He knew how much he had on his card and yet he still gets Rory all excited. He didn't have to do that. Or he could have said a price range.  Rory wouldn't have cared. She'd have just as much fun picking out a ten or twenty dollar book. Assuming he had any money on the card considering when asked about trying it again Christopher says he doesn't need too. Then he asks her not to tell her mother. Then when Lorelai brings it up at the end of episode Christopher gets mad that Rory ratted him out. Which of course she didn't. But his first reaction is to get mad at Rory. When the whole thing was his fault. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

But did Lorelai and Rory know that? Because in the first episode, when Lorelai and Rory have their first FND, Richard says Christopher is "doing very well in California. His Internet start-up goes public next month. This could mean big things for him. Very talented man, your father." and Lorelai answers "she knows." So at that point, it wasn't said yet that Chris was a screw-up. Just that he wasn't living with them. During and after Christopher Returns, yes, we know. 

I do agree with that. But the whole financing issue is only in the first episode. They could have had Lorelai quickly mention to Sookie that she reached out to Chris and that he couldn't afford to pay for her school.

15 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

The credit card thing is so Christopher and what's one of many things that I dislike about him. He tells Rory to pick out something she wants, Rory mentions the dictionary but its a lot of money, Christopher insists, even though its not surprised a minute later when his credit card is declined. He knew how much he had on his card and yet he still gets Rory all excited.

There's a difference between not being surprised that your card declines and knowing that it's going to decline.  But, this is just as bad, because his card declining, and him not being surprised, means he is having trouble paying his bills and shouldn't be buying $400 dictionaries.  Like I said, I'm sure he had enough for a normal-priced book, but then decided to roll the dice and hope he was far enough from his limit to buy it. 
When Rory said it cost a fortune, he should have said, OK, pick something more reasonable.  Rory would have gladly just picked a paperback she wanted to read, which Chris probably had enough cash for.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

There's a difference between not being surprised that your card declines and knowing that it's going to decline.  But, this is just as bad, because his card declining, and him not being surprised, means he is having trouble paying his bills and shouldn't be buying $400 dictionaries.  Like I said, I'm sure he had enough for a normal-priced book, but then decided to roll the dice and hope he was far enough from his limit to buy it. 
When Rory said it cost a fortune, he should have said, OK, pick something more reasonable.  Rory would have gladly just picked a paperback she wanted to read, which Chris probably had enough cash for.

Exactly! Rory would have been just has happy to do that. 

9 hours ago, marineg said:

But did Lorelai and Rory know that? Because in the first episode, when Lorelai and Rory have their first FND, Richard says Christopher is "doing very well in California. His Internet start-up goes public next month. This could mean big things for him. Very talented man, your father." and Lorelai answers "she knows." So at that point, it wasn't said yet that Chris was a screw-up. Just that he wasn't living with them. During and after Christopher Returns, yes, we know. 

Lorelai suspected and probably did know. That is the first question she asks when he says she can ask him anything. Then after he answers says she knew it. When Christopher's credit card declines Christopher makes that comment "Now you really remember me". They were both used to his lack of money. Lorelai sees through his lies and promises. From telling Rory not to get her hopes up, to her talk with Sookie about him saying he wants to be more involved and that's great if it were true. And Sookie asking if its not she says its Christopher.  

The remark Richard makes in the pilot could be they hadn't figured out Christopher yet but its also not out of line. Richard and Emily are always praising Christopher to moon, complimenting everything he does like he really is so great even though he's done nothing to raise and support the granddaughter they both adore. So its not out of line for something Richard would say. And also an extra insult considering Lorelai is the one who worked her way up and runs the inn and is taking business classes. 

• Love 2

I'm not sure if this is nitpicking, or if it's my faulty memory. 

I'm watching "A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving" and Paris, Rory, Louise and Madeline are talking about their college applications.  Paris says that she submitted hers to Harvard and all of her back-up schools weeks ago, and yells at Louise and Madeline for not having finished theirs yet.

I distinctly remember Paris having a meltdown during her valedictorian speech because she didn't get into Harvard.  And I'm pretty sure she said she didn't apply to any other schools.  Am I remembering that wrong?

4 minutes ago, izabella said:

I'm not sure if this is nitpicking, or if it's my faulty memory. 

I'm watching "A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving" and Paris, Rory, Louise and Madeline are talking about their college applications.  Paris says that she submitted hers to Harvard and all of her back-up schools weeks ago, and yells at Louise and Madeline for not having finished theirs yet.

I distinctly remember Paris having a meltdown during her valedictorian speech because she didn't get into Harvard.  And I'm pretty sure she said she didn't apply to any other schools.  Am I remembering that wrong?

Rory was the valedictorian. Paris had a meltdown during a joint speech she was supposed to give with Rory that was being filmed. Paris had applied to Harvard along with her other backups and didn't get into Harvard which is part of why she had the meltdown at the speech. In her mind, she was being "punished" by not getting into Harvard for having sex with her boyfriend. Rory convinced her that it wasn't the end of the world and that Paris would just go to one of the amazing schools that she did actually get into. 

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

At least Richard and Emily didn't donate $500,000 to Yale to get Rory accepted./snark.

I see my mind wasn't the only one to go there after listening to the news yesterday.

• Love 4
On 3/12/2019 at 11:25 PM, chessiegal said:

At least Richard and Emily didn't donate $500,000 to Yale to get Rory accepted./snark.

I posted the exchange that included "that insipid Kate Hudson" in a thread that was talking about this. 

Richard did consider donating money to Yale for a new building in Rory's name ( this was after Rory had already been admitted).

Which brings up a pet nitpick -- Richard can afford to give 10 or 15 million to Yale, but is thrown into crisis when he's threatened about losing his pension. He's a mere insurance company VP, for God's sake, a position which probably pays in the low six figures, yet he and Emily would struggle financially without this relatively small potatoes pension? Is he rich, or isn't he?

I guess it depends on whatever the storyline du jour was.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, clack said:

I guess it depends on whatever the storyline du jour was.

It was beyond ridiculous at times.  A building at Yale would run into the millions.  Emily looks into a time share on a jet. But they can't afford to go to Europe twice a year and fly first class.  I mean, come on.

• Love 3

He didn't just consider it, they actually did it. 

In 6.21: it is mentioned as a potential project, saying the Gilmores will "add some funds from [their] foundation and donate the total amount to Yale university in [Rory's] name" and "make sure it goes for something important, like a medical building"
In 6.22, they reveal it will be "The Rory Gilmore Astronomy Building" and that they are "going to start construction this summer, so it should be up and running by Christmas"
In 7.08 Logan says that Rory's "grandparents are building a whole damn astronomy building" in her name.
In 7.20, Lorelai asks her parents "Did you name another building after her?"

This shows an actual progression, ending with Lorelai's remark in 7.20, suggesting she already has a building in her name. She doesn't talk about the intent of building the RG Astronomy building, but rather implies that it already exists.

And in reference to the fact that she was already at the school and therefore it's not a conflict of interest, isn't it though? Is the school going to fail a student whose family just spent millions of dollars in donation? Sure in the case of Rory, she's supposed to be this genius who doesn't need help with her studies. But if she were a dum-dum, she would have had a special and elite pre-acceptance meeting with the dean of admissions, and then had her grandparents donate who whole bunch of money to the school just a year before graduation. It could be seen as an incentive to not fail the kid. Usually schools take donations from alumni, not current students.

• Love 2

Well, didn't Emily get some kind of medical settlement that they used to pay for the building? 

Not that it's a real explanation, but I do seem to remember something along those lines.