Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

So, I know Emily has the manners of a coked out chimp, but “Wedding Bell Blues” is on, and...isn’t it the height of rudeness to have a shower/bachelorette party attended by people who didn’t merit an invitation to the actual event? I know Lorelai had to call her own friends because the party was sprung on her last minute, but as the bride, wasn’t Emily supposed to provide a list of guests for wedding activities to Lorelai?

You're right about the people not-invited to the wedding should not be invited to prewedding festivities thing and in a normal bride/MOH situation Emily probably would have provided a list but I kind of assumed Emily knew that Lorelai wouldn't be interested in throwing her a party (especially since it would consist of society women Lorelai doesn't like) and only told Richard she was to save face/not make him feel bad and didn't expect him to tell Lorelai and cause her to throw a last minute party. Honestly the whole separation/vow renewal thing was weird, one minute they didn't want anybody to know, the next Emily was dating and then they threw a huge hey, we're back together! vow renewal.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

You're right about the people not-invited to the wedding should not be invited to prewedding festivities thing and in a normal bride/MOH situation Emily probably would have provided a list but I kind of assumed Emily knew that Lorelai wouldn't be interested in throwing her a party (especially since it would consist of society women Lorelai doesn't like) and only told Richard she was to save face/not make him feel bad and didn't expect him to tell Lorelai and cause her to throw a last minute party. Honestly the whole separation/vow renewal thing was weird, one minute they didn't want anybody to know, the next Emily was dating and then they threw a huge hey, we're back together! vow renewal.

Add that in with the entire reasons why Emily wanted to break up Luke and Lorelai and Chris being such a idiot and wimp to go along with it. Then add in she basically compared Chris to breeding an award winning racing horse. I was like: "What the hell are you thinking Emily?"

So...did the firemen put out that fire at the Independence Inn with water or magic dust? 

Because we saw charred stuff but no water damage.  Just stuff charred, thrown around, pulled up and covered in tarps.  Then there was that vague drip behind them like a leaky pipe...it was just weird.  It looked like a bad party had happened in there, not a fire.

• Love 4
On 3/18/2018 at 1:27 AM, CheeseBurgh said:

The roads in Stars Hollow are ALWAYS wet, it bothers me for an unknown reason. I’m guessing that it films better. Can someone else watch a verify this so I don’t feel crazy?

You see it a lot in movies, too.  Cinematographers/camera people like it - it looks better for some reason.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, stan4 said:

So...did the firemen put out that fire at the Independence Inn with water or magic dust? 

Because we saw charred stuff but no water damage.  Just stuff charred, thrown around, pulled up and covered in tarps.  Then there was that vague drip behind them like a leaky pipe...it was just weird.  It looked like a bad party had happened in there, not a fire.

they beat it out with blankets.

• Love 1

I don't understand why Lorelai needed to go to the bank for a loan to fix her house. Most contractors will offer some sort of financing or payment plan.

And there's no way they would have put Lane in the front of the cheerleading squad when she can't even do a decent high kick.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, stan4 said:

Also, why weren't Sookie or Luke invited to Rory's 21st bday party?

Luke came with Lorelai. 

But I do think it's weird that Emily wouldn't invite Sookie and Jackson. The Gilmores attended Sookie's wedding. She helped out when Trix died. There's a connection there, not just Rory. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

Luke came with Lorelai. 

But I do think it's weird that Emily wouldn't invite Sookie and Jackson. The Gilmores attended Sookie's wedding. She helped out when Trix died. There's a connection there, not just Rory. 

If you remember the conversation, Emily was asking her which friends she wanted to invite. Rory never said Luke.

Then when Emily asked if she  wanted to invite her mother, Rory suddenly perked up and was like, oh yeah. 

With the other friends (Lane, Paris), she told her grandmother to include their boyfriends.

She never thought to invite Luke on her own.   And they never made him a chocolate box because no one expected he was coming.     (Remember there was a big conversation about how many chocolate boxes they should make and how there was no reason to make an extra chocolate box if her mother couldn't bother to RSVP.)

And finally, the whole conversation with Lorelai about the lack of RSVP went through Luke without also offering him an invite.

• Love 1

The garage that Luke supposedly hid Jess's car in was way too small for that car.

But if we are to imagine that it could fit the car, why couldn't it fit Luke's dad's boat?

Edited by stan4

I'm sure this has been covered, but I'm doing a rewatch, so why not?  In the Festival of Living Art, Lorelai wanted to be the Renoir Girl, mostly because she wanted to wear "the pretty, pretty dress".  But, the bottom half of the dress was the painting.  The costume was a nice, but plain blouse and the hat/makeup.  It bugs me every time I watch that episode, haha.

• Love 7

Does anyone think it's odd in Love Daisies and Troubadours that when Rory goes to Dean's house and Clara opens the door they don't know each other?  Are we to assume with all the time Dean and Rory spent together in the 3 months they were a couple Rory never went to Dean's house or met his family?

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, jburdeen said:

Does anyone think it's odd in Love Daisies and Troubadours that when Rory goes to Dean's house and Clara opens the door they don't know each other?  Are we to assume with all the time Dean and Rory spent together in the 3 months they were a couple Rory never went to Dean's house or met his family?

Yes, that was very odd.  Especially considering how close they are later. And, they broke up because Dean told her he loved her and she didnt' say it back.  That means Dean felt pretty strongly about her, which makes it more odd that he never invited her over to the house.  She may have wanted some of that homecooking, he talked about in a later episode, for crying out loud.  Poor girl lives on diner food.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, stan4 said:

The garage that Luke supposedly hid Jess's car in was way too small for that car.

But if we are to imagine that it could fit the car, why couldn't it fit Luke's dad's boat?

The same reason why Lorelai's huge garage couldn't fit Rory's tiny twin-sized Yale mattress?

4 hours ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

I'm sure this has been covered, but I'm doing a rewatch, so why not?  In the Festival of Living Art, Lorelai wanted to be the Renoir Girl, mostly because she wanted to wear "the pretty, pretty dress".  But, the bottom half of the dress was the painting.  The costume was a nice, but plain blouse and the hat/makeup.  It bugs me every time I watch that episode, haha.

I never noticed that, but you're right.  She was just wearing regular pants on the bottom. 

How much did the Twickham house cost? 

Kirk had a "sizable" down payment of $250,000 - most down payments are what, 10 to 20%?   So if Kirk's was, say, 30% that would mean the house was selling for almost $900,000. How in the world could Luke afford that place?

23 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Kirk had a "sizable" down payment of $250,000 - most down payments are what, 10 to 20%?   So if Kirk's was, say, 30% that would mean the house was selling for almost $900,000. How in the world could Luke afford that place?

I'm sorry, I don't remember the details of this, so it's possible it was explained on the show.  But, I can't figure out how Kirk would have $250,000 for a down payment.  I think I may remember him saying something about having worked at every business in that town and having 3 jobs at a time, but his jobs all seemed to be minimum wage type stuff.  And, yes, he lived with his mother, so his expenses would be negligible, but at the same time, he's a moron.  I can't believe that he wouldn't have blown it on some stupid scheme.  Like that business he was trying to start with the health products that were so toxic they couldn't be thrown out.

3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm sorry, I don't remember the details of this, so it's possible it was explained on the show. 

He said that he'd had 15,000 jobs and had saved every dollar he ever made.  Probably had few expenses what with living in his mother's bomb shelter and all.  Still, it's a stretch.  The whole thing was just so....bizarre.

Well there is also this which could give him access to more money. Reminds me a bit of the father in the movie Say Anything. 

KIRK: I befriend really old women.

LUKE: Excuse me?

KIRK: Really old women need companionship, Luke. They are really old. Most people they know are dead. So when someone comes along, and they are not dead and they'll listen to their stories and care about their dosage, they are grateful.

LUKE: Are you serious?

KIRK: Serious as a heart attack. Which is how I got that ring you're holding right now. So what do you think?

Finances on this show never made any sense. The writers used it to support whatever storyline they were pursuing. In 1 episode, Richard and Emily can't afford to fly to Europe 1st glass (which was stupid), and in another Emily is trying to buy a timeshare in a private jet.

• Love 6
On 4/12/2018 at 1:23 PM, Kohola3 said:

Does not mean anything.

We put almost 50% down payment on our house (to get out of jumbo loan territory).  Plus Kirk was "willing to" put $250k down.  As a competitor bidder, he was willing to up his bid.  Does not mean he was initially planning to put the whole $250k down.

[But price aside, I feel like that kind of house should have been out of both Kirk and Luke's price range.]

Then, down payment aside, to get a loan, you need proof of income.  Luke has multiple historically reliable revenue streams.  Kirk does not.

My nit pick of the day:  The Harvard-Yale game. 

First of all,  Richard and Emily had been going to that game every year but Lorelai didn't know anything about and/or their tail gating?  Unlikely.

In 2003, the Harvard-Yale game fell almost an entire month prior to fall final exams.  But we're led to believe Rory is about to "go into hibernation" to study for them.

Not a nitpick but appalling that Lorelai was going to order stinky fast food Mexican to eat in Digger's expensive car.  Nasty.

Fun fact:  Of the 4 years Rory went to Yale, Harvard won the H-Y game 3 times.

Edited by stan4
On 4/12/2018 at 1:55 PM, Kohola3 said:

He said that he'd had 15,000 jobs and had saved every dollar he ever made.  Probably had few expenses what with living in his mother's bomb shelter and all.  Still, it's a stretch.  The whole thing was just so....bizarre.

He has $247,868.

11 years of work.

Even ignoring interest, that's like $22,500 a year he would have to clear net of taxes.

Doable.  He's always hustling and has minimal expenses.

• Love 3

So take a look at the Crap Shack.

How in the world did they make it so small inside?

There’s a basement with windows. Never mentioned.

The place where Rory’s bedroom window should be is a huge bay window.

Upstairs, how can anyone believe that there’s only one tiny bedroom and bath? 

Completely illogical.

A0443EB0-FDCF-412A-89DA-D5A9416C7FEC.jpeg

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

Completely illogical.

I agree with the rest of your post, but as far as the basement goes, there's probably spiders down there, so they don't go down there because it's too scary. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I agree with the rest of your post, but as far as the basement goes, there's probably spiders down there, so they don't go down there because it's too scary. 

It would keep me out.  Just saying.

6 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Breakfast for 3?  Seriously?

4-17-2018 9-19-26 PM.jpg

And the point was the excess of the rich, which makes the whole "we can't afford 1st class to Europe this year" all the more ridiculous.

ETA: Maybe the food was a bonus for the shooting crew and actors.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

And the point was the excess of the rich, which makes the whole "we can't afford 1st class to Europe this year" all the more ridiculous.

ETA: Maybe the food was a bonus for the shooting crew and actors.

Speaking of how they were so rich and then suddenly couldn't afford this or that, I found it odd that putting his pension up as collateral would have "ruined" Richard and put their home in jeopardy.

You don't have savings?

Your dang house isn't paid for?

What?

Edited by stan4
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Completely illogical.

What is weird is that the bathroom upstairs was down the hall when Paris needed to borrow some of Lorelai's clothes,  But then later on, it was opposite the door to the bedroom and en suite.

In season 2, Luke tells Lorelai no one ever helped him learn the ropes or how to set up his business. Then when they are at Sniffie's tavern, he says old friends of his parents taught him everything about how to run a restaurant.

Edited by stan4
Spelling!
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, stan4 said:

Stan the raccoon given free rein at the Huntzberger MV home bc he has been there longer than their family.

Raccoons live 2-3 years in the wild.

Maybe it's different raccoons, but the Huntzbergers don't realize it.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:01 PM, Katy M said:

I don't think it's a basement, it's a crawl space.  Luke and Kirk both go down there when Lorelai has terminates.  The house I grew up in had a crawl space, and there were windows like that.

So there is a huge Male Yale party going on at Richard and Emily's with dozens of people there, but Dean can park right by the front door?  Yeeaaaaah...ok.

So here is a list I've compiled of recycled/reused jokes/references.  They are not running gags.  Those are different.  This is more like they used it in a joke once and then forgot and then used it again somewhere else:

Diebenkorn

People named Sweetie

Antique printing press

Forensics being the only thing on tv

Sylvia Plath/Bell Jar

Weird dogs

Tuesdays with Morrie

Calling Luke Duke

Chow dogs

Lacrosse

Nicholas Nickelby

Leopold and Loeb

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/4/2018 at 8:50 PM, steff13 said:

I would assume so too, but I would still ask.  They were working at the Renaissance fair.  Maybe it was a jousting accident.  

That's what I was going to say. :)

On 3/7/2018 at 9:04 AM, stan4 said:

Speaking of sunrise...when Dean and Rory were caught at Patty's, it was 5:30am.

In the winter.

Why was the sun up?

Timing bothers me, too, although it got lighter earlier in Northern California, than it does where I live in Ohio. It stayed lighter at night in England, too, when I was a kid. At least during the Summer. 

I've wondered when he opens the diner, and when he closes it at night. Sometimes it seems like he's open late, other times he's talking about opening again for the people at the town hall, or sitting there in the dark, watching sports on his baby TV that leaves Lorelai to ask if it's old enough to be away from its mother. When Sookie went on the date with Jackson at the fancy restaurant, wha time did they leave, and when did they end up at Luke's? 

On 4/17/2018 at 9:21 PM, Kohola3 said:

Breakfast for 3?  Seriously?

4-17-2018 9-19-26 PM.jpg

I'm looking for Richard's grapefruit. :) Unless he has that by itself, before a proper breakfast is served. I can't tell what's on his plate. A slice of some kind of fruit. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

Rolling my eyes that, after expressing strong passion around paying her parents back for Chilton, rumored to be anywhere from $20,000 to $50,000 a year, Lorelai didn’t have enough to make a dent in the loan needed for the termites. 

The magical world of Gilmore finances.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Rolling my eyes that, after expressing strong passion around paying her parents back for Chilton, rumored to be anywhere from $20,000 to $50,000 a year, Lorelai didn’t have enough to make a dent in the loan needed for the termites. 

The magical world of Gilmore finances.

Yes, especially how the $75K from the real estate investment magically paid it back too. Plus, as many of us said, it was a bad point since Lorelai could have used the money for the Dragon Fly, other bills, ect. Seriously, I hate how TV writes people who get a windfall like that. My family would have been paying all their main debt out and there would have still been money left over to invest or go on a nice vacation. 

• Love 4

I've wondered when he opens the diner, and when he closes it at night. Sometimes it seems like he's open late, other times he's talking about opening again for the people at the town hall, or sitting there in the dark, watching sports on his baby TV that leaves Lorelai to ask if it's old enough to be away from its mother. When Sookie went on the date with Jackson at the fancy restaurant, wha time did they leave, and when did they end up at Luke's? 

I've always thought that his hours were probably like 7am to 9/10pm. He might have been open later on weekend nights.  Which makes sense since he is seen serving all three meals. Luke obviously doesn't work the whole time, but he has employees (such as Ceaser) that run it. And since he lives above it, he could always check on it even if he isn't actively working.

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:38 PM, stan4 said:

So there is a huge Male Yale party going on at Richard and Emily's with dozens of people there, but Dean can park right by the front door?  Yeeaaaaah...ok.

They probably had valet parking and everyone else was parked in back of the house because they have a huge circular driveway.  The valet didn't take Dean's car because he said he was just there for a pickup.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

The valet didn't take Dean's car because he said he was just there for a pickup.

Plus it was some "filthy workman's truck" so the valet probably wouldn't touch it.

• Love 1
On 5/12/2018 at 7:46 PM, Kohola3 said:

Plus it was some "filthy workman's truck" so the valet probably wouldn't touch it.

Always thought it was odd that both Luke and Dean had green vintage pick up trucks.   But they were of course spotless and dentless and in perfect shiny condition at all times.

So Sookie decides to invite Emily and Richard because 2 seats open up at her wedding. Well...where was Chris going to sit?   If we're being that exact about the seating, I mean.

And it literally makes zero sense that Luke was not invited to that wedding. Also zero sense for Sookie not being invited to Rory's 21st birthday.

Fascinating, too, that a show about a mother and a daughter never once had an episode about Mother's Day.

That's not a nitpick, nor am I  saying they should have had an episode about Mother's Day, but I think that's interesting.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, stan4 said:

So Sookie decides to invite Emily and Richard because 2 seats open up at her wedding. Well...where was Chris going to sit?   If we're being that exact about the seating, I mean.

And it literally makes zero sense that Luke was not invited to that wedding. Also zero sense for Sookie not being invited to Rory's 21st birthday.

Perhaps Sookie gave Lorelai a "plus one", hoping she'd find a date. (Maybe Luke?)

It's quite possible Luke WAS invited to Sookie's wedding, but just didn't attend. He's not much of a joiner. Maybe he was planning to and stayed home last minute when he got wind that Chris and Lorelai had become really chummy lately. 

I don't think it was that odd that Sookie wasn't invited to Rory's 21st. While Rory was very close to a lot of the adults in her town, that doesn't seem to be something Emily would recognize or prioritize. She was more about inviting Rory's contemporaries - like Paris and Lane. I'm sure she just assumed that Sookie was LORELAI'S friend. And Rory was too sidetracked by the situation with her mother to really put much thought into her guest list. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I don't think it was that odd that Sookie wasn't invited to Rory's 21st. While Rory was very close to a lot of the adults in her town, that doesn't seem to be something Emily would recognize or prioritize. She was more about inviting Rory's contemporaries - like Paris and Lane. I'm sure she just assumed that Sookie was LORELAI'S friend. And Rory was too sidetracked by the situation with her mother to really put much thought into her guest list. 

Fair point, except I think that would have been true for anyone besides Sookie.  I mean, this is a woman whose wedding Emily both planned and attended (despite the planning falling through).  She catered DAR meetings.  She was with Emily discussing menus for the business launch party.  She made mock turtle soup for Richard.  In terms of town people, she was a little extra and certainly someone Emily knew better as a close family friend to L&R.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, stan4 said:

In terms of town people, she was a little extra and certainly someone Emily knew better as a close family friend to L&R.

Even worse (to me) was the fact that Rory never mentioned inviting her.  Emily consulted her about guests ("how about your Asian friend" - yeesh, I could have punched her) but never a word even after agreeing to invite her mom.

• Love 1

I'm listening to the episode where Paris wants Rory to agree to open their dorm room for a party, to the point where she calls Lorelai to get her to talk to Rory. Didn't they already do this on the day they moved in, though? Lorelai had that place hopping with hundreds of dollars worth of takeout food - it seemed like she had at least that floor going, not just their dorm (that was full of students). 

• Love 1

Every time I watch KILL ME NOW, I desperately try to rationalize the timing of the episode.  We know Rory goes golfing on Saturday morning with Richard.  We later see her meet Lorelai at Lukes with the hat.  The next day, Sunday, she's at the Inn and Richard calls to talk about the book.  Then we see the GGs at home arguing about who's boobs are bigger, presumably Sunday afternoon.  Then we see Sookie and Lorelai almost get hit crossing the street to get strawberries for the wedding, and this has to be the next day, or the following weekend (?).  But, all the while they are prepping for the wedding which is supposedly happening that weekend, so unless it's a Tuesday wedding I can't figure out the timing. 

AND, on top of it, they bring R+E leftover blueberry shortcake at the next FND, but would the shortcake really last a whole week? I love this episode, so I am constantly trying to find a way to make sense of it, but I always come up short.  Anyone have any theories?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, jburdeen said:

Every time I watch KILL ME NOW, I desperately try to rationalize the timing of the episode.  We know Rory goes golfing on Saturday morning with Richard.  We later see her meet Lorelai at Lukes with the hat.  The next day, Sunday, she's at the Inn and Richard calls to talk about the book.  Then we see the GGs at home arguing about who's boobs are bigger, presumably Sunday afternoon.  Then we see Sookie and Lorelai almost get hit crossing the street to get strawberries for the wedding, and this has to be the next day, or the following weekend (?).  But, all the while they are prepping for the wedding which is supposedly happening that weekend, so unless it's a Tuesday wedding I can't figure out the timing. 

AND, on top of it, they bring R+E leftover blueberry shortcake at the next FND, but would the shortcake really last a whole week? I love this episode, so I am constantly trying to find a way to make sense of it, but I always come up short.  Anyone have any theories?

The writers don't give a flip about reality, common sense, or continuity.

• Love 2

Emily suggests they golf together on Sunday.  Lorelai says she needs cake for Rory bc she had to give up her Sunday to hang out at the club.

Always thought it was silly; you don't teach a beginner by taking them to the course on the busiest day.  You go to the driving range a few times first.

• Love 1