Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, TimetravellingBW said:

This might be a personal opinion thing, but it drives me crazy that when Lorelai and Rory get back from Europe in s4 they immediately start planning a jam packed week and want to do a bunch of sightseeing in New York. (And then are horrified when they can't do it because Rory starts Yale earlier than she thought). Seriously, after a massive 3-month backpacking trip, doing non-stop tourist stuff and travelling from country to country the last thing most people want to do is do touristy stuff in their own country! You want to veg out in your own house and see someone other than the person you've been travelling with for the last however long.  

I hear what you're saying, but New York was just 1 day out of a planned week.

Tomorrow we get an early start and we hit three of the crappier movies that are out.
And then we have dinner at Grandma's.
Which I will conveniently not put down on my list in the hopes that that magically goes away.
Okay, the next day we hit New York, see your fancy art galleries, hit the Strand.
Pizza at John's.
Sunday, pick up all the stuff you need for school, and then there's a barbecue at Sookie's.
Monday is mani/pedi, facial, haircut, go to the psychic, and stock up for Tuesday, the day of all days - Godfather I, II, and III, with extra showings of the Sofia death scene over and over as long as the Mallomars hold out.
- The perfect day! - I agree.
And I think we have just enough of the biscotti that we brought back from Milan to last us the rest of the week

Ah, ok it wasn't as long as I thought. I just remember listening to them cram stuff into every hour (even if it was only one day in NY and some of it was just go to the movies 3 times in a row) and being like "haven't you just spent months going out?!" But that's a general thing I find with the amount Rory and Lorelai manage to do in their lives: They're far more energetic and busy than I'd expect with the jobs/school they allegedly have going on.

Honestly, between being at the centre of every town festival, attending every town meeting, their movie marathons, Friday Night Dinners, spending multiple early mornings/afternoons at Luke's, hanging out their boyfriends, Lorelai's business classes in early seasons, Rory's various extra-circulars and excessive book reading, I don't know how the pair manage to be the outstanding Inn Manager/Valedictorian student we're told they are. I've just concluded they must be those lucky people who only need to sleep a few hours a night or something. 

(Though to be fair the show wouldn't be that entertaining if it was just them working and studying). 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

This might be a personal opinion thing, but it drives me crazy that when Lorelai and Rory get back from Europe in s4 they immediately start planning a jam packed week and want to do a bunch of sightseeing in New York. (And then are horrified when they can't do it because Rory starts Yale earlier than she thought). Seriously, after a massive 3-month backpacking trip, doing non-stop tourist stuff and travelling from country to country the last thing most people want to do is do touristy stuff in their own country! You want to veg out in your own house and see someone other than the person you've been travelling with for the last however long.  

OMG, so much yes.

Just the thought of putting together that list after such a long trip, let alone doing it? I did four capitals (Prague, Amsterdam, London and Paris) in 20 days last spring and I was so exhausted by the time I got home that it took me about a week to stop feeling this weird numbness and start feeling like myself again. I also had grown to hate one of the girls I travelled with.

I could see them doing the bolded ones, but that's it. 

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Tomorrow we get an early start and we hit three of the crappier movies that are out.
And then we have dinner at Grandma's.
Which I will conveniently not put down on my list in the hopes that that magically goes away.
Okay, the next day we hit New York, see your fancy art galleries, hit the Strand.
Pizza at John's.
Sunday, pick up all the stuff you need for school, and then there's a barbecue at Sookie's.
Monday is mani/pedi, facial, haircut, go to the psychic, and stock up for Tuesday, the day of all days - Godfather I, II, and III, with extra showings of the Sofia death scene over and over as long as the Mallomars hold out.
- The perfect day! - I agree.
And I think we have just enough of the biscotti that we brought back from Milan to last us the rest of the week

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 2

Their lives would be exhausting for me to be truthfully honest.

Also, I loathe museums and art galleries. Just go to The Strand, dude. There's more than enough books to keep you satisfied for the entire day. Then again, I'd choose a bookstore over pretty much anything ever.

• Love 3

Lorelai had manically planned her last few days with Rory so she wouldn't have to think about the goodbye. Those lists are actually doable given that they weren't working and each day consisted of a few fun things followed by someone else cooking dinner. 

Also, Lorelai didn't hesitate to change the plans when e.g. they spent a whole day instead of an hour distributing souvenirs.

Fresh commercial biscotti is a delight. So is fresh marzipan, but the marzipan they were exposed to was probably days or weeks old, which is very bad. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

OMG, so much yes.

Just the thought of putting together that list after such a long trip, let alone doing it? I did four capitals (Prague, Amsterdam, London and Paris) in 20 days last spring and I was so exhausted by the time I got home that it took me about a week to stop feeling this weird numbness and start feeling like myself again. I also had grown to hate one of the girls I travelled with.

I could see them doing the bolded ones, but that's it. 

Ugh exactly! I did 6 weeks round Europe with my sister, and the day we got back I spent hours pottering by myself and doing chores, while she went out to see Anyone Who Was Not Me. (We're best friends, and get on super well so didn't hate each other by the end, but after almost 2 months you want to hang out with other people! So while the whole thing is the GG are inseparable, Lorelai packing a full-on a schedule to deal with Rory leaving seems over the top and kind of clingy. You've had a whole summer with her, just get some nice pedi/manicures together and then get chores done.

Also, another nitpick with the whole Europe trip: At that time Lorelai was unemployed, had literally just bought the Inn, was starting  renovate it/launch the business, and only the year before was apparently in horrific no-banks-will-touch-me debt. Rory was just about to start college, had to beg her grandparents for the fees alone not counting any additional expenses, hadn't really worked or saved money - apart from birthday gifts from her grandparents - and didn't have a job lined up. Was that summer really the time to do a huge overseas trip? Yes, they obviously did it cheaply backpacking and staying in hostels but those holidays are still expensive. Wasn't one of them like, "hey, you're going to have more summers, how about we wait a year when things are more financially stable for both of us and then travel?

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Ugh exactly! I did 6 weeks round Europe with my sister, and the day we got back I spent hours pottering by myself and doing chores, while she went out to see Anyone Who Was Not Me. (We're best friends, and get on super well so didn't hate each other by the end, but after almost 2 months you want to hang out with other people! So while the whole thing is the GG are inseparable, Lorelai packing a full-on a schedule to deal with Rory leaving seems over the top and kind of clingy. You've had a whole summer with her, just get some nice pedi/manicures together and then get chores done.

Also, another nitpick with the whole Europe trip: At that time Lorelai was unemployed, had literally just bought the Inn, was starting  renovate it/launch the business, and only the year before was apparently in horrific no-banks-will-touch-me debt. Rory was just about to start college, had to beg her grandparents for the fees alone not counting any additional expenses, hadn't really worked or saved money - apart from birthday gifts from her grandparents - and didn't have a job lined up. Was that summer really the time to do a huge overseas trip? Yes, they obviously did it cheaply backpacking and staying in hostels but those holidays are still expensive. Wasn't one of them like, "hey, you're going to have more summers, how about we wait a year when things are more financially stable for both of us and then travel?

Yes, the GG financial magic. It's actually conceivable that they could have saved from her severance or the land investment enough for the trip. On the cheap, consider $2k for tickets, $2k for lodging and food for seven weeks, it doesn't sound impossible. Wise? No. But not impossible. And part of Rory's birthday etc money was designated by Richard for traveling, so I'm sure she had that as well.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Lorelai had manically planned her last few days with Rory so she wouldn't have to think about the goodbye. Those lists are actually doable given that they weren't working and each day consisted of a few fun things followed by someone else cooking dinner. 

It's definitely a personal thing for me; I understand how close Lorelai and Rory were. I just find it ridiculous that she planned out a whole week to spend even more time with Rory, instead of helping her pack for the week, gather things, and just lounge around. Instead, Lorelai began complaining about only having a week with Rory, DESPITE having two full months with just her. 

Also, I forgot how much I loathed Taylor in the first episode of season four. He was such an ass about Rory not being able to be the Ice Cream Queen, yet he expects to be invited to Rory's graduation? Shove it, Taylor.

Another nitpick, but I can't believe Lorelai/Rory would actually come back from Europe a week and a half before Rory moves into Yale, especially with a full week to do planned activities. It's really cutting it close, in my opinion. Even before the mixed up dates, the fact that Rory seemingly had nothing prepared is kind of ridiculous. I would have expected Rory to have more time to gather her things, buy what she needed, and pack up before Yale. Lorelai seemed almost irresponsible for extending their trip by a few days (they WERE supposed to come back exactly two weeks before Yale's mixed up date) as well as not making sure they had some stuff prepared before they left. It just seemed like really bad planning from both of them. 

• Love 10

It recurringly bugs me that runaway Lorelai had very little money. 

Rich kids generally have generous allowances; how else can they put gas in the tanks of the Porsches they are shortly going to crash? And Emily certainly would never allowed Lorelai to be dependent on her friends to pay for things. Too shameful.

She should have been able to scrape up enough to live on for a little while without the meme of having to depend on handouts from the inn for food.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, junienmomo said:

It recurringly bugs me that runaway Lorelai had very little money. 

Rich kids generally have generous allowances; how else can they put gas in the tanks of the Porsches they are shortly going to crash? And Emily certainly would never allowed Lorelai to be dependent on her friends to pay for things. Too shameful.

She should have been able to scrape up enough to live on for a little while without the meme of having to depend on handouts from the inn for food.

I think the picture they tried to paint is that she wanted nothing from them and so she left with nothing but the stroller and the bag on her back. Given how much they tried to push it in our faces that Lorelai detested everything about spoilt rich kids, we were to believe that she wasn't like them.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, timimouse said:

I think the picture they tried to paint is that she wanted nothing from them and so she left with nothing but the stroller and the bag on her back. Given how much they tried to push it in our faces that Lorelai detested everything about spoilt rich kids, we were to believe that she wasn't like them.

Her banter with Christopher and with other former classmates on occasion gave me the impression that she was in all the groups, she just preferred to be the one who snarked on them (her "own" kind). That flashed me over to Rory doing essentially the same thing when she wrote about Logan's company's party. 

Bottom line is she was rather like them, but aware of the stupidity of it all.

• Love 1

I guess I always took it as, Lorelai knew her parents' money and their control went hand in hand. Much like Logan, she enjoyed their money while mostly following their rules. But once she decided to do things her way on her own, she wasn't going to use her money that was really their money. Using someone's money means you owe them, and Lorelai didn't want to owe them anymore. So she took off without emptying her possible bank account. 

All of the rationalization that are listed here and I have pondered personally fall apart for me when the actual situation is considered.

Keeping a baby safe, fed, and alive trumps pride. The only time it doesn't is when the baby's life is in danger.

She's rational enough to take clothes, stroller, baby things, formula, diapers. Money sitting in her own account is a step too far? Money that could be used for shelter, food, transportation while in transition? 

Baby first. That's the way it should be, even when she left.

An intelligent person would have gotten the job first, then go. Even if it were still a charity act on Mia's part. Wouldn't have disturbed the show's premise much. 

• Love 4
On 11/1/2016 at 3:30 AM, TimetravellingBW said:

I think it's pretty easy to assume that she had started saving for that when Rory was little.  Or at least in middle school.  There was probably a fund that was not to be touched under any circumstance.  They talked about it as though they had been planning it for a while, so most likely any extra money went to the Europe fund.  I could see Lorelai saving for the trip, but not for college, assuming that Rory would get all the scholarships.  
Random thought: say the elder Gilmore's gave both Rory and Lorelai birthday/holiday checks.  It's possible that they would have out that into the Europe fund.  Which means Emily and Richard did help fund the trip! 

3 hours ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

I think it's pretty easy to assume that she had started saving for that when Rory was little.  Or at least in middle school.  There was probably a fund that was not to be touched under any circumstance.  They talked about it as though they had been planning it for a while, so most likely any extra money went to the Europe fund.  I could see Lorelai saving for the trip, but not for college, assuming that Rory would get all the scholarships.  

This is a definitely possibility.  My mom and I started "planning" a trip we were going to take, just the two of us, to England when I graduated high school/before I left for college, and started planning it probably when I was in junior high school (we were both huge English history fanatics).  She'd never been to Europe. She had what she called her "England pushke" (yiddish actually for a box kept in the home for money that would go to donations to charity, but in this case I guess our trip was the "charity" LOL), a little silk purse she kept in her jewelry box.  And I would put aside money (allowance, birthday money, etc.) in a hidden box as well.  Sadly, my mom became terminally ill when I was in high school and we never got to take the trip together (and after she died, when I was cleaning out her stuff and found the pushke, it was empty).  For clarification, came from a two-parent household with a sibling, but my mom was of that era where her "work" was to be my dad's wife, so no job or anything. Volunteered reading for the blind and a few other things but the only money that was "hers" was her household allowance and, again, birthday gifts from her parents or whatever.

• Love 1

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that :(.

I was always bothered by Rory forgetting the date she started. I feel like she would have been rereading her orientation information a lot (which I did) and having to arrange with her roommates who is bringing what. Also she would have already known Paris was one of her roommates ;).

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, blueray said:

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that :(.

I was always bothered by Rory forgetting the date she started. I feel like she would have been rereading her orientation information a lot (which I did) and having to arrange with her roommates who is bringing what. Also she would have already known Paris was one of her roommates ;).

I agree, but the whole point was a plot device. Without it there would have been no episode. There is a big difference between what happens IRL and what conflict is created to move the plot forward in fiction.

On November 16, 2016 at 10:52 PM, chessiegal said:

THIS ... was definitely one of my biggest nitpicks with the show if not THE biggest (I just spaced out when it came to sharing it here) ... A) There is NO WAY IN THE WORLD Rory would have screwed up her move-in date.  She was way too organized and anal retentive.  She would have had the date circled in red (or Yale Blue) in three different date books, a wall calendar where she was crossing off days, and at least three other places.  

PLUS, yes, I am sure they would have sent out roommate information (I have never heard of a school that did NOT do that, and I know as far back as 1977 when I started college I got my roomie info the summer before). 

Understood both were plot points, but to me both so glaringly wrong that they took me out of the "moments."

And thanks to all for the sweet notes re: my planned trip with my mom.  Sorry to have prattled on about it but the whole Rory-Lorelei trip made me nostalgic.  While our relationship was not really like R-L, that's more because our personalities were very different than R and L's (or at least my mom's was ... she was very mellow and lowkey) but, that said, I definitely considered her one of my best friends.  I could trust her with pretty much anything.  And she would have been an amazing travel partner. 

• Love 6

So, I rewatched the pilot and deduced that Rory's birthday is not October 8th. The prop guys messed up in Rory's Birthday Parties episode because they never explicitly state Rory's birthday in the dialogue (Tristan reads the invitation from Emily and Richard and he never says the date). Therefore, Rory's birthday is the end of October. Done. 

Why would Tristan be at the Chilton Day thing-y? Wasn't it alums giving lectures on how their time at Chilton has influenced their current, successful careers?

Tristan isn't an alum -- he left before graduating. 

Edited by clack
  • Love 2

So the Nitpicking thread is open to AYITL?

This one's been killing me.

Lorelai's got the wedding planned. It's on a Sunday because Luke closes early on Sundays anyway.

But the sign says Lorelai and Luke November 5, 2016. 

That's a Saturday.

Sigh.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

Lorelai's got the wedding planned. It's on a Sunday because Luke closes early on Sundays anyway.

That's a Saturday.

Sigh.

Because it should be 2017, not 2016. We know that Winter had to have taken place at the end of 2016. Rory's 32, and she can only be 32 at the end of 2016. The prop guys made another mistake (again, they made a mistake with Rory's birthday being October 4th or 5th or 8th or whenever the hell they said it was on the invitation in S1). 

• Love 1

Apologies if this has been discussed already but I just researched the pilot and it reminded me of an overarching issue I had - if Stars Hollow is full if such cheerful, quirky, interesting people, why was the high school so awful with mean girls? I mean plot-wise they needed to get Rory to Chilton, but they could have just had Rory test out of even the highest grade and advise that she should go elsewhere to be challenged. But on second thought you don't see many Stars Hollows teens on the show other than Lane, Rory, Dean and Jess. Maybe the kids all were little bastards.

I agree with cailinoBAC that they must have gotten Rory's age wrong because there were other references that made it clear that the episodes were set in 2016. Wasn't there also a reference that implied that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were still together?

Edited by paulvdb
  • Love 1

I don't know where to put this: it bugs me when Jackson starts yelling at Rory, out of nowhere, when he finds out about her trying to make that massive pizza for her mother's birthday. Ranting about Sookie being a chef, and how he's a produce man. Ugh!!

I always thought that was dumb because Sookie isn't really known for making junk food. Remember all the fancy food she made for the kid's birthday party? If Rory asked Sookie to make a pizza, it would be some artisan type with figs and goat cheese. That's not what Lorelei would want for her birthday. And if Jackson wanted his vegetables used, he should work out an arrangement to be the supplier for Pete's pizza. 

• Love 2

I can't recall when we were given the funeral scene, but I think it was winter?  Whichever it was, it said 4 months earlier, putting it in fall which I guess works.  If early fall or a warm fall in the Northeast, they were dressed appropriately.  If later, they should have been wearing jackets or sweaters in the outdoor scene at Emily's where Lorelei is dozing and then unable to give an appropriate Richard story.  I also can't remember if there were leaves on the trees at the cemetery, but they should have been turning if I have it right.  I might have this wrong, but it always bugs me with shows shot in California--fake snow on top of green leafy trees, etc. 

• Love 1
On 11/28/2016 at 3:41 PM, junienmomo said:

That's a Saturday.

Sigh.

It was also bugging me that Lorelai told Luke, "It's this month" whereas if the date was the 5th, she would have said something like, "It's this weekend"

My nitpick for AYITL (or the one I'll mention now, anyway) is that they buried Richard in a regular cemetery plot instead of the Gilmore family mausoleum just so they could make the joke about the headstone mistakes.  I guess this way, Luke can have Richard's spot and they won't have to purchase an annex for Aunt Cecile.

• Love 7

I got annoyed when Luke casually said they should have eloped and there was NO cringing or discomfort.

Really? The last time eloping came up was when Lorelai ultimatum-demanded an elopement, Luke said no, and she slept with Christopher. But now we can just joke around about eloping without any squirming?

• Love 1

I have such a nitpicky nitpick.

Rory should have had more boxes. I'm not talking about furniture or kitchen stuff or other adult items. I can believe that Rory and her traveling lifestyle had the bare minimum in appliances and the like. But Rory would have had books. She would have had shelf after shelf of books she could not part with. She should have had more boxes of books than clothes. I can't believe she would have had five separate boxes of clothes (one each at Lorelai's, Emily's, Lane's, Logan's, and Paris') and not twice as many boxes of books. 

And if she did have that many boxes of books, why did she send her clothes to five different places? Why didn't she send clothes to two people and books to two other people?

I feel so nitpicky!

• Love 7

I have a nitpick that has been bothering me for a decade.  When Rory came home from school upset that Logan went to London and that they wouldn't be able to travel around Asia together, Lorelai decided to recreate the trip in their home.  With several hundreds of dollars worth of ridiculous decorations and!  KIMONOS.  WHO IN THE EVER LOVING FUCK DOES SUCH OVER THE TOP STUPIDNESS???

I have no idea why this still rankles me as much as it does.  But it does.  Harumph.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, ChlcGirl said:

I have a nitpick that has been bothering me for a decade.  When Rory came home from school upset that Logan went to London and that they wouldn't be able to travel around Asia together, Lorelai decided to recreate the trip in their home.  With several hundreds of dollars worth of ridiculous decorations and!  KIMONOS.  WHO IN THE EVER LOVING FUCK DOES SUCH OVER THE TOP STUPIDNESS???

I have no idea why this still rankles me as much as it does.  But it does.  Harumph.

Don't forget the denial part of that. I personally can think of any number of amazing things that absolutely HAVE to be done, no matter how ridiculous, when I'm trying not to face an awful truth.

• Love 2

Very little of that whole Stars Hollow Gazette plot made sense.

First, who owns it? The newspaper is housed in a building in the town center -- a town, mind you, that is an international tourist destination. That makes it expensive real estate. Does the town own the business? Does Taylor?

If Taylor does own it, why is he so indifferent about his presumably profitable newspaper going out of business? And if the town owns it, why does Taylor, a mere Selectman, get to hire the editor?

Why is the editor an unpaid position? Do the other two employees also work for free? If the paper makes a profit, who gets the money?

Also, we see that Rory has gotten Doyle to write for her first edition, the edition in which she has decided not to include the traditional poem. Doyle asks, having read the paper, something like "what idiot forgot to put in the poem?" But how would Doyle know about the SHG traditional front page poems? He's never, as far as we know, even visited the town.

• Love 9
On 11/29/2016 at 7:41 AM, junienmomo said:

That's a Saturday.

Sigh.

Okay, so I have no idea about years - it may very well being wrong. Unless it is possible that Winter took place in 2015?

But I thought the wedding was supposed to be on the Sunday - but because Luke had "made" plans in addition to the flash mob - it was a surprise wedding for Lorelai on the Saturday night? I mean, she had no idea and Luke sent the text to Kirk saying it was perfect or whatever. And that was why it was with just those two, Rory and Lane (+ the reverend). I had assumed the "real" wedding, with all the townies was supposed to be on the Sunday? That's how I took it to make it make sense.

Of course, I don't believe for a second Emily wouldn't have been there - tense relationship or no

• Love 1

Rory wasn't 32 until the end of the year but she says she is 32 in Spring, so maybe 2017 was supposed to be the year this all took place? Like someone said November 5th is on a Sunday next year. But Lorelai also says the wedding is this month but the 5th is so early in the month that she would say this week for that day. Maybe Lorelai and Luke changed the date to correspond to the opening of the Harvest festival. Just for the Hot dog cart or give people some time to arrive.

• Love 1

To add to the date confusion, Amy said they changed the date of the wedding from Nov. 19 to Nov. 5 (both Saturdays) so the show ended pre-election.  I guess we could conjecture the date Lorelai originally had "set" changed, but other than that I'm out.  My nitpick about the date is Luke saying if Cesar went to the wedding he couldn't when before he said it didn't matter.  Oh well.

I figure the wedding sign was the gospel according to ASP's latest whims. Therefore Nov. 5, 2016 was the big wedding and the marriage ceremony was done on either late on the 4th or early on the 5th. 

Everything else like Rory's age (already flexible in OS S1), Lorelai's scheduling it on a Sunday and "this month" and the actual start date of Winter are flexible. Keep in mind they did write it starting in 2015, so it's conceivable they intended Winter to be 2015.

Arithmetic geniuses the Palladinos ain't.

Edited by junienmomo
  • Love 2

Here's what I think happened: the prop guys just screwed up the date. 

I'm about 95% positive that their wedding is supposed to be November 5th, 2017. Luke says that it's on a Sunday, Rory's 32 in Winter/Spring, which she states more than once (and there's no way she can magically be 32 in 2015/2016 since it would disrupt her canonical age), and it makes more sense for it to span across 2016-2017. They probably ignored any political or real world references because when they filmed the revival back in February-April, they had no idea on how everything would pan out, so it's easier to not reference it at all. Much like they left out all political and real life events in the original series (9/11, to be precise). It's just easier to keep the show away from political messages as best as they can unless it's in a one liner. 

Much like how Rory's birthday is supposedly on October 5th, but it actually makes no sense according to the rest of canon, and they do not reference Rory's birth date through the actual dialogue, just through a single piece of paper. Again, it makes sense if it's the prop department's fault and nobody noticing the mess up. 

• Love 2

Amy has said that they put the wedding before the election on purpose. And the shot was a lingering one so it had to be directed that way. Maybe it was both. ore Maybe it was supposed to read the 6th but the actual date was the 5th cause Kurt did it and got it wrong? Also if Lorelai didn't hike her saying she was going off to do wild in late Summer and not being back til November doesn't exactly fit either. It seems late summer and early Fall were more like a couple of weeks so Late September and early October. So Maybe the "It's this month" line should have been It's in a Month. 

https://tvline.com/2016/12/01/gilmore-girls-a-year-in-the-life-amy-sherman-palladino-interview-final-four-words/2/

2 minutes ago, tarotx said:

Amy has said that they put the wedding before the election on purpose. And the shot was a lingering one so it had to be directed that way. Maybe it was both. ore Maybe it was supposed to read the 6th but the actual date was the 5th cause Kurt did it and got it wrong? Also if Lorelai didn't hike her saying she was going off to do wild in late Summer and not being back til November doesn't exactly fit either. It seems late summer and early Fall were more like a couple of weeks so Late September and early October. So Maybe the "It's this month" line should have been It's in a Month. 

https://tvline.com/2016/12/01/gilmore-girls-a-year-in-the-life-amy-sherman-palladino-interview-final-four-words/2/

If this is actually the case, then Rory should not have been 32, she should have been 31. Rory turned 16 at the end of 2000. Since Winter should be 2015, then Rory should have just turned 31. 

Gah. Either way, someone messed up behind the scenes and something doesn't fit. 

See? Little things like this may not be a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it really, really bugs me. It's a huge pet peeve of mine. 

• Love 3

Another piece of the timeline mystery/debacle... didn't Naomi reference Brexit? I don't remember the exact quote, but it seemed like it was the kind of line that was written after the conclusion of real life events but spoken before those events took place in the show's timeline. Which made me think it was supposed to be a 2015-2016 timeline.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, takalotti said:

didn't Naomi reference Brexit?

She said something like she was going to vote for Brexit because it wasn't going to pass anyway.  That was in Spring, I think.  Or maybe Winter.

It was in Winter I think. As I remember thinking that it was their way of letting us know early on exactly what year it was. The show started in early January 2016, as Lorelai stated that Rory had missed Christmas and New Year. (Presumably because she was boning Logan because she doesn't appear to have been working.) Though some of Winter is set in 2015 as it flashes back to Richard's autumn funeral for quite a chunk of the episode.

Edited by AllyB
  • Love 1

I've meaning to ask the Americans GG fans a question: Rory's birth name is Lorelai Leigh Gilmore right? Cool. Why doesn't she have Hayden also? Does that mean Christopher didn't register her as his father?

On my neck of the woods, children usually get one surname from each parent. The only way Rory wouldn't be called Lorelai Leigh Gilmore Hayden would be if Christopher wasn't recorded in the birth certificate/didn't register her as his daughter.

I understand in the US she would likely be called Lorelai Leigh Hayden and my confusion remains.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1

I've never had a baby but I think you can name a baby however you want, father or mother surname when they are unmarried.  I'm sure Lorelai wanted it to be Gilmore and Christopher never pressed.

Having looked it up, you can give a baby any surname you want, full stop.

Edited by ChlcGirl
  • Love 4

In A Woman of Questionable Morals, Chris's father dies and Rory and Lorelai roll up in front of what should be his mother's house (Emily says he's staying with Francine). It's not nearly fancy enough to be the Hayden's house! Nowhere near as grand as the Gilmore's. The house looks like a moderately large neo-colonial in a very nice but not wealthy suburban neighborhood. There are very close neighbor on both sides and the house is not set back more than 15-20 feet from the street. The girls even park at the curb and walk up -- no driveway or nice entrance.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, snarktini said:

In A Woman of Questionable Morals, Chris's father dies and Rory and Lorelai roll up in front of what should be his mother's house (Emily says he's staying with Francine). It's not nearly fancy enough to be the Hayden's house! Nowhere near as grand as the Gilmore's. The house looks like a moderately large neo-colonial in a very nice but not wealthy suburban neighborhood. There are very close neighbor on both sides and the house is not set back more than 15-20 feet from the street. The girls even park at the curb and walk up -- no driveway or nice entrance.

I remember thinking the exact same thing when I did my rewatch.  In fact I said to myself "What is up with this bullshit ..?"

• Love 1