Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

She also thinks he's a safe alternative to Jess, and the more concerned she's about Jess the more she tends to idealize Dean.

Which I find ironic since Jess, discounting the "accident", ends up hurting Rory the least. He is also the one who finally gets Rory to return to her mom and Yale.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

Which I find ironic since Jess, discounting the "accident", ends up hurting Rory the least. He is also the one who finally gets Rory to return to her mom and Yale.

Him going off on Rory about dropping out of Yale and dating Logan was a thing of beauty. It's what most of us viewers were yelling at the tv screen that season and FINALLY someone said it. 

What I thought was OOC of Rory was leaving her grandparents without even a thank you or a goodbye. They took her in when she needed help, and she had a place where she could have sex with her boyfriend. Her sending those idiots to pick up her stuff was unforgivable. I refuse to watch the rest of that season because it was so terrible, but I don't recall if Rory ever apologized to them for her shitty behavior.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 7

They took her in when she needed help, and she had a place where she could have sex with her boyfriend. Her sending those idiots to pick up her stuff was unforgivable. I refuse to watch the rest of that season because it was so terrible, but I don't recall if Rory ever apologized to them for her shitty behavior.

It's sort of addressed at the end of Friday Night's Alright For Fighting.  I think Emily calls Rory out for it, Rory claims to be apologizing and Lorelai makes excuses for Rory's behavior.  

• Love 2

They took her in when she needed help, and she had a place where she could have sex with her boyfriend. Her sending those idiots to pick up her stuff was unforgivable. I refuse to watch the rest of that season because it was so terrible, but I don't recall if Rory ever apologized to them for her shitty behavior.

I

t's sort of addressed at the end of Friday Night's Alright For Fighting.  I think Emily calls Rory out for it, Rory claims to be apologizing and Lorelai makes excuses for Rory's behavior.  

I think Rory's behavior was terrible and her apology was half assed at best. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

I wonder - did Lorelai ever learn that it was Jess who finally got through to Rory? I don't think she did, at least not on-screen.

• Love 2
Just now, Llywela said:

I wonder - did Lorelai ever learn that it was Jess who finally got through to Rory? I don't think she did, at least not on-screen.

Yeah I always wished we could have seen her find out. I hope we see some interaction between the two in the revival. Maybe them making peace.

• Love 4
On June 25, 2016 at 11:50 AM, txhorns79 said:

Rory claims to be apologizing and Lorelai makes excuses for Rory's behavior.  

Shocking turn of events there. ;)

Lorelai talks about how she wants Chris and Rory to have a relationship but upon finding out Chris told Rory, and not her, that Straub was sick she seemed put out. That bugged me, like Rory got extra Chris she didnt.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, fitzcarraldo said:

Lorelai talks about how she wants Chris and Rory to have a relationship but upon finding out Chris told Rory, and not her, that Straub was sick she seemed put out. That bugged me, like Rory got extra Chris she didnt.

It hardly mattered whether it was with Rory, Emily, or Luke. If Lorelai couldn't control the relationship with Christopher, she was put out.

She said the right "open door" words about and to Christopher, but she was the bouncer at the door between Rory and her father.

Christopher knew he would get a rise out of Lorelai if he contacted her parents, so he used that to his advantage sometimes, which irked her.

Lorelai wanted to be 'all in' with Luke as long as she could still see Christopher without mentioning it to her serious boyfriend. Kinda the opposite of the definition of 'all in.'

• Love 2
(edited)

Watching the episodes currently on Freeform and I'm reminded that Rory's Lindsay slip in Doose's Market is not the first time she probably should have kept her mouth shut in that store.

I don't know, but if it were me, I probably would not be arguing - or really throwing the biggest temper tantrum (the one time I sided with Jess) - with the guy I kissed at the store where my boyfriend (who I was with when I kissed the other guy) works. Luckily for Rory (or maybe unluckily haha), Dean apparently didn't have any co-workers who overheard (or cared).

It's just a nitpick of mine in general where people who are talking about either someone or A Secret talk about said person/The Secret in locales where everybody they have ever met tends to frequent, but of course, those people just manage to miss that little part of the conversation. 

Edited by JaggedLilPill
  • Love 5

Rewatching on FreeForm and UP, I notice nitpicks that bothered me the first time around. One is when Alex asks Lorelai if she wants to go fishing with him, he says he's going on Saturday, and then when Luke is teaching her to fish, she tells him she's going on Sunday.

Another is Francie talking about hemlines can't be more than 3/4 inch above the knees or you get written up, her skirt is clearly more than 3/4 inch above her knees.

Clearly I've seen these episodes too many times. ;-)

• Love 2

How come Luke and Nicole were driving across Canada and taking a cruise to Alaska but he references a "seven country cruise" and snorkeling in the next episode.  Not a whole lot of snorkeling in Alaska.  And on my map, there are not 7 countries on the Alaska Marine Highway.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

How come Luke and Nicole were driving across Canada and taking a cruise to Alaska but he references a "seven country cruise" and snorkeling in the next episode.  Not a whole lot of snorkeling in Alaska.  And on my map, there are not 7 countries on the Alaska Marine Highway.

^This! I noticed it the 1st time I saw those 2 episodes, and watching yesterday saw that I remembered correctly. Lazy writing. Another nitpick in the same season is they said they came home late from Europe because they were in London and heard that Bono was in Ireland, so they hopped a train to Ireland. Umm, just no. Ireland is an island. I'm not sure I can call that lazy writing, maybe just stupid.

• Love 2

But at some point you're going to have to get off the train - there's no chunnel between Ireland and England, is there? We took a train from London to Paris this spring, but I've never heard of one from England to Ireland.

5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

But at some point you're going to have to get off the train - there's no chunnel between Ireland and England, is there? We took a train from London to Paris this spring, but I've never heard of one from England to Ireland.

Yes, according to my timetable in Germany, I can take the high speed train, a British train, and a ship. I'd be in Dublin in just over 24 hours. London to Dublin would be less, but still annoying.

On 7/23/2016 at 3:49 PM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

You actually can get trains between England and Ireland. It's a pain in the ass, takes forever, and you can fly from London to Dublin and back for the same cost and way less hassle, but you can do it. 

It's actually not that annoying depending on where exactly you are going. For cheap flights from London you have to go to Stansted in Essex or Gatwick in Sussex. Both about an hour out of central London. Then it's another couple of hours at the airport to go through check-in and security plus another hour/hour and a half in the air. Then you're another hour by the time you get through the airport and into central Dublin at a minimum, it will take longer in peak traffic. Realistically it takes 5-6 hours. The cheap fares are only available if you book at the right time and you'll pay an awful lot more for baggage.

If you rail and sail, the fare is the same regardless of if you booked 6 months before or rocked up at Euston Station 10 minutes before the train leaves. And you can take all the baggage you can physically manage for free. And Euston Station is right in central London. The train to Holyhead takes under 4 hours, the transfer to the ferry 15-20 minutes and the ferry about 2 and a half hours. And you arrive a few minutes from central London. So from the centre of one city to the other, you save little over an hour by flying but lose spontaneity and will pay heavily for baggage. I did both a lot and tbh, much prefer rail and sail.

• Love 3

My original nitpick stands - at some point you have to get off a train and take another mode of transportation. The way they threw the line out made it sound like either Ireland was contiguous with England like Wales and Scotland, or there was a chunnel from England to Ireland like there is from London to France (which we took this summer for the first time, and found it very comfortable).

ETA: Every time I hear that line, from the 1st time I heard it, it makes me wonder if the writers had ever looked at a map of the UK.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 5

This one has always bothered me. When Luke and Lorelai "do it" without protection, and she think she's pregnant the next day. So ridiculous. I don't care how long it's been since you had your last kid, most people know that you do not feel symptoms that quickly, nor can you take a test that early. 

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

This one has always bothered me. When Luke and Lorelai "do it" without protection, and she think she's pregnant the next day. So ridiculous. I don't care how long it's been since you had your last kid, most people know that you do not feel symptoms that quickly, nor can you take a test that early. 

The whole thing bothered me. Beginning with Lorelai forgetting protection in the first place. Really? The person who just spent the last two decades raising the product of her teen pregnancy and dealing with the fallout from it. She'd be the one who was always prepared no matter what.   

36 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

The whole thing bothered me. Beginning with Lorelai forgetting protection in the first place. Really? The person who just spent the last two decades raising the product of her teen pregnancy and dealing with the fallout from it. She'd be the one who was always prepared no matter what.   

Yea, it was really such a weird storyline and I never understood the purpose for it. They made Lorelai look totally clueless, which isn't like her at all. Were they testing the waters for a Luke/Lorelai baby? I have no idea, but it bugs. 

• Love 3

Season One is currently on UP, and is my favorite season.  The show seemed more grounded in reality and was a drama (with some funny moments), and less with the quirky whimsy of later seasons.  I think it did such a great job in setting up the characters, relationships and conflicts of later seasons (esp the Lorelai/Chris/Luke triangle) and the Emily/Lorelai/Rory inter generational dynamic.

However there are a few things they mention that are contradicted in later seasons.

- Jackson's last name.  He introduces himself as "Jackson Melville" to Christopher but in later seasons he's Jackson Belleville?  Does anyone know why this was changed?

- Lorelai saying she never ate apples except when she was pregnant.  I forget which S1 ep, but she is seen slicing a red apple in the kitchen. It doesn't look like she's doing it for Rory.

- Luke was always ranting about the unhealthy food he serves but willingly ate a Oreo smore when April gave him one in Season 7 (believe it was an outtake)  I will forgive that one since it was a deleted scene and April made Luke lose a few brain cells.

- Speaking of April, when exactly did Luke date Anna?  If April was 12 when she came to him in 2005, she was born in 1993 and Anna must've left Luke when she was pregnant, so either 1992 or 1993.  He was with Rachel during 1994-1995 (5 or 6 years from 2000-2001) at least and it was very serious.  Given what we know about Luke, I can't see him getting seriously involved with someone so soon after Anna left him.  The way that Sookie and Miss Patty talked about Rachel, it seemed like Luke was with Rachel for several years, not just one or two.  My point is Anna/April was a retcon to create drama for Luke and Lorelai.

- Dean's motorcycle (1996 Indian).  Did we ever see Dean on that motorcycle?

- Sookie's clumsiness - this was a theme through season 1, but it was dropped later on.

Edited by apgold
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, apgold said:

- Lorelai saying she never ate apples except when she was pregnant.  I forget which S1 ep, but she is seen slicing a red apple in the kitchen. It doesn't look like she's doing it for Rory.

I've noticed several times there are inconsistencies with their eating. For all their talk about hating healthy stuff like fruits and veggies, Lorelai had a bagged salad in her fridge that she ate once. And they generally seem to eat pretty well at the FNDs.  And doesn't Lorelai place an apple in the middle of the poptart plate she makes for the Chilton girls when they come over?

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, apgold said:

- Sookie's clumsiness - this was a theme through season 1, but it was dropped later on.

They toned it down quite a bit, but she was still shown to be somewhat of a klutz, even spraining her ankle or something after they open the Dragonfly, and (I'm almost positive about this one) she always has a bandaid somewhere on her as a nod to her clumsiness.  I love little touches like that.

• Love 1

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a nitpick, but it has always bothered me the way Zach just automatically fills in for Lane when she gets pregnant... Didn't he have a job?!?! I'm pretty sure he mentioned a day job to Mrs. Kim when he was asking for her permission to marry Lane. Does Luke's diner really pay that much? Seems pretty unrealistic to me. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, timimouse said:

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a nitpick, but it has always bothered me the way Zach just automatically fills in for Lane when she gets pregnant... Didn't he have a job?!?! I'm pretty sure he mentioned a day job to Mrs. Kim when he was asking for her permission to marry Lane. Does Luke's diner really pay that much? Seems pretty unrealistic to me. 

To me that's typical GG fantasy financial world. The writers use it or ignore it for the story du jour.

As far as food, when Lorelai was saving money to open the Dragonfly, Rory comments that she's never seen real food in their fridge, just leftover takeout. Yet in Season 1 we see real food in the fridge, including the example mentioned above of Lorelai pouring salad dressing into a bag of greens and eating.

• Love 3

Yet in Season 1 we see real food in the fridge, including the example mentioned above of Lorelai pouring salad dressing into a bag of greens and eating.

And in the episode where the refrigerator broke down, Lorelai was on the floor surrounded by a sea of food of all kinds.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Yea, it was really such a weird storyline and I never understood the purpose for it. They made Lorelai look totally clueless, which isn't like her at all. Were they testing the waters for a Luke/Lorelai baby? I have no idea, but it bugs. 

Lorelai's character started getting illogical cracks  in it at the end of season four. It became worse in season five, culminating in the end of season six.  She was clueless too often during that time.

It's a real shame, because I loved seeing her strong, intelligent and feisty.  I loved her chasing off those guys in the pilot episode, and facing the Stars Hollow High mothers after her speech about her career. 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

Lorelai's character started getting illogical cracks  in it at the end of season four. It became worse in season five, culminating in the end of season six.  She was clueless too often during that time.

It's a real shame, because I loved seeing her strong, intelligent and feisty.  I loved her chasing off those guys in the pilot episode, and facing the Stars Hollow High mothers after her speech about her career. 

I also love how when she was dealing with the Stars Hollow High mothers, Luke left her to it because he knew she could deal with it. :)

• Love 1
On 8/15/2016 at 9:04 AM, andromeda331 said:

They were drunk the night it happened so I guess we have to factor that in. The problem is that it's difficult for me to believe Lorelai would only use condoms as birth control. Most grown women know you can still get pregnant with a condom. Lorelai threatened Rory with going on the pill in season 1, there's no way she wouldn't use a back-up. As you said, she would be prepared. Her behaviour afterwards I chalk up to reverting back to a 15 year old girl. 

On 8/15/2016 at 9:42 AM, ghoulina said:

I think the storyline was done partly for comic effect and also to tell the audience that Lorelai was enjoying her independence. They could have wrote a better story to convey that, imo. 

The tiniest of nits: In Recipes and Raincoats, just as guests are arriving for the Dragonfly trial run, the guest room doors arrive fully outfitted with hardware and they're expected to be installed in a matter of minutes. It was a cute bit ("just follow your door"), but doors are actually a PITA to hang! They don't come all ready to pop in. And they especially don't come with door numbers and knobs attached.

• Love 7

In episode 3.13, Dear Emily and Richard, Rory is supposed to fax some status reports for Sherry. 

She says that Sherry didn't bring enough, so she's looking for a Xerox machine. 

That was a dumb writing mistake. Really stupid for someone of ASP's age. 

For those of you who honestly never used a fax machine, and there are plenty of you in this millennium, you only need one original which you can fax over and over again. 

(Hey, anyone else remember eight track audio tapes? LOL)

• Love 5

(Hey, anyone else remember eight track audio tapes? LOL)

I will see you an eight track and raise you a black and white TV with a 13 inch screen!  Bet that makes me the oldest member of the group!

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I will see you an eight track and raise you a black and white TV with a 13 inch screen!  Bet that makes me the oldest member of the group!

Don't forget the rabbit ears but I may have you beat Kohola3...I raise you a turn table and vinyl 45s and LPs! ☺

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

Don't forget the rabbit ears but I may have you beat Kohola3...I raise you a turn table and vinyl 45s and LPs! ☺

It was so weird that Lorelai was fixated on video tapes. I think she once made a comment about the commercials being recorded along with the programs, but for someone who watched her tapes as often as she did I'm surprised they were still watchable.

Yes, the Lorelai in my head is definitely an IUD or long-term birth control user, simply because of her teen experience. And previous to season 5 we see her enjoying her sexual independence when she wants to without any mentioned pregnancy scares, until Luke. Super cautious Rory would be the same way, saving us that terribly awkward ooc contraception discussion Lorelai and Rory have in Blame Booze and Melville.  Pregnancy scares don't have to be rational or logical, but I think fanfiction has shown many better, more in-character ways for Luke and Lorelai to deal with their commitment to each other. 

I can definitely see someone Lorelai's age having a big videotape collection and only a few getting tons of rewatches. She's a lover of bad tv shows and obscure made-for-tv movies, and the late 80s and 90s were great for that. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I guess that makes us both old as dirt.

I had 45s and LPs but we had an old Victrola with 78s that was my Grandmother's I remember Mario Lanza records. Also 8 Tracks, beta tapes, and a camcorder that rested on your shoulder. Oh the good ole days.

6 hours ago, moonb said:

I can definitely see someone Lorelai's age having a big videotape collection and only a few getting tons of rewatches. She's a lover of bad tv shows and obscure made-for-tv movies, and the late 80s and 90s were great for that. 

I'm older than Lorelai and I totally did that. Especially the Movies of the Week. LOL.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Ha!  I can do you one better - 78s!

It's like you guys are speaking a foreign language. ;)

(Just kidding!) 

It's like you guys are speaking a foreign language. ;)

I know, totally off topic.  But since the younger generation can no longer read cursive, we old folks can send coded messages to each other very easily - just don't print anything!  PS, I even use a fountain pen!

• Love 3

DSLEo wrote a fic on a goof that never occurred to me in the Nicole and Luke relationship.

It's chapter 4, and the link is https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12125309/4/The-Money-Tree-and-Other-Mysteries 

The goof?

Spoiler

Luke put on a clean pair of socks that weren't his. How does a guy go to a tryst wearing socks, then not put them back on when he leaves? And how did they get into Luke's sock drawer if someone didn't pick them up off the floor, wash them, and put them in his drawer? Nicole doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would have random clothes strewn all over the floor. 

Luke put on a clean pair of socks that weren't his. How does a guy go to a tryst wearing socks, then not put them back on when he leaves? And how did they get into Luke's sock drawer if someone didn't pick them up off the floor, wash them, and put them in his drawer? Nicole doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would have random clothes strewn all over the floor. 

Just putting your above question in its own separate quote, @junienmomo. Honestly, I just figured that Luke had some clothes at Nicole's place and he went to his drawer to put on new socks. From the sounds of their relationship then, it would have made more sense for Luke to just put his socks back on. So I guess Nicole's new boyfriend/lover had his own set of clothes and it's possible the drawers were mixed up, so Luke's accidental sock exchange ended up being legitimate. 

I have a few nitpicks of my own. I've realized that this show has a lot of continuity errors (many shows have the same house layout issues), but I noticed they did a lot of minor set changes:

• In season 1, Luke's Diner is different than how it looked in the pilot. I might have to go back and check, but I notice the layout was altered later for the Luke's that we know. Also, the William's Hardware sign above the diner seemed to disappear sometimes. Or maybe that was just how the camera angles made it appear.
  • There's already been talk about Lorelai's side door from the kitchen magically appearing on the living room side of the house. Also the fact that the upstairs is way too tiny compared to the layout of the house. It can fit more than Lorelai's bedroom and a tiny bathroom. Rory theoretically could have had her bedroom upstairs instead of beside the kitchen. 
  • I also know that Luke's apartment changes a bit in season 2. We see a difference right after Jess moves in. In his first episode, the bathroom is on the opposite side of the apartment. Luke's bed is on the wall where the bathroom becomes, there's no closet door by his bed, and there are some things shifted around, like the couch. Then, an episode or two later, the layout changes to what we know it as. 
  • Speaking of Luke's apartment, his hallway to his door changes as well. Season 3 shows a more open layout to his apartment door, although you could say that was due to the renovations done to expand the building. Season 4, though, has Jess/Luke in the hallway, and Jess seems to turn down two hallways to get to the stairs leading downstairs. We know Luke's apartment faces the main street with the diner right below, so technically, the stairs should have been where the second hallway was. 
  • People have also mentioned how Luke's apartment could have easily been expanded into a two bedroom apartment. I don't think they could have done anything about the bathroom, but they could have at least a bedroom for Jess instead of being right beside the kitchen. It would have provided more privacy. 
  • Also, I think Emily and Richard's house changes its layout/design a bit in season 2. 
  • Rory's first Yale apartment. Why did Rory and Paris have to share a room when Tanna and Janet got their own rooms? In a suite like that, even if the four girls had to share one bathroom, I would think either two girls had to share a room each, or each girl got their own room. The suite looked like it could easily fit one more bedroom if they altered the layout a bit. 

I'm working on season 5 now so that's all the changes that I notice at the moment in terms of set. I'll just leave my nitpicking post here. 

That's a good point about Luke's being different. I keep forgetting about that.

Also, another nitpick is about Luke and Lorelai meeting. I'm just on 5x05 and realize that there's a lot of errors with how long they've known each other. So, on their first date, Luke says that they first met in the diner eight years ago, apparently making Rory about eleven. Yet Rory has said that she has been in Luke's diner when she was younger, when the Specials menu changed. But then in 5x05, Lorelai is talking with Luke about tipping and says that he's been ripping her off for ten years. So there's a lot of conflicting messages on when they actually met. 

• Love 5