Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E20: OpulenceMD; The Cheese Chopper; The Matte; FurZapper

• Start Topic

Sharks: Mark, Kendra Scott, Kevin, Lori, Barbara

A beauty product that combines luxury and glamour with safety and quality; a product for cutting cheese; a space-saving beauty organizer; a way to remove pet hair from clothes; an update on FitFighter.

1. Opulence MD-Reusable fake lashes, and eyeliner, developed by a medical doctor, Dr. Anika Goodwin (an Opthalmologist).     Great margins.   The lashes are magnetic (nope, I don't understand how it works).  (If Kendra Scott doesn't shut up about her billions of women employees, and that she's the most successful entrepreneur on Earth, I'm going to scream).   I really like the seller.  

Kendra Scott makes the deal.

2. Cheese Chopper (no, you're not allowed to make jokes about "cut" and "cheese", but I'm sure the Sharks will).   The announcer already made a very predictable pun.    If you buy it direct from the company, it's only $40. It grates, slices, and stores the cheese in the chopper.   However, they only have pre-orders.   When Lori starts telling her bumblebee story, Mark gives her such a look.    It's too early.  (Barbara, Kevin and Mark tease Lori about her bumblebee story.) 

No deal. 

3.  The Matte (Makeup Organizer)-A mat that unfolds, and fits over the bathroom sink, and is extra counter space.    Sells about $25 retail.   She's sold $200k without advertising.     (So kissing up to Kendra didn't work, so now she's kissing up to Lori). (This product needs a new name, Matte makes it sound like makeup or something).    I think a tray device, with a 2" lip on three sides, that could fit in a counter, or on the sink would work, and then you just move it to your bedroom after you finish.   Endlessly unfolding, setting up the makeup/dryer, etc., and then removing it all again, and refolding and storing the matte is absurd.     Where do you put your stuff between uses?   

Lori makes the deal. (I didn't like this product at all.   How long before someone wants to use the sink and starts whining?  Or if you have a drippy faucet, or the faucet isn't off?)

4. FurZapper -(laundry device to remove pet hair)-Apparently, you toss a couple in the washer, then it goes right in the dryer.   From looking on the giant sales place named after that really long South American river, they say the same device goes from washer, to dryer.    However, if you use fabric softener, it won't pick up hair. 

I'm going to get some, and try it in the dryer when I dry my towels every day (I really live in lower Alabama, and humidity is hell on wet bath or hair towels).     They are reusable too.   They've been on QVC at 3 a.m., and that didn't go well.      (Amazon didn't have much stock, and so I bought a couple of the two packs from Chewy.   We'll see how it works on people hair in my dryer).  Now I'm getting Chewy ads all over my pages.  

Mark and Lori fight for the deal, Barbara and Kevin are talking deal too.   Lori makes the deal.  If this works the way they claim it will, then it will be the next Scrub Daddy for Lori). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

So to use that mat product, I have to wait until I'm finished using my sink, unfold it, spread my stuff out, and then clean it all up before I can use my sink again?

I get the appeal of extra space, but I don't have the patience for that every day.

• Useful 2
  • Love 18

I will never ever ever ever buy anything associated with Kendra-I-Can’t-Stop—Telling-You-How-AHHHHMAAAAZZZING-I-Am-Scott.  What an obnoxious person!  She can’t not STFU about herself.  I am all for empowering and employing women, and giving female entrepreneurs a pathway into business. But I cannot imagine working with that woman.  I can imagine there’s a lot of ass kissing & boot licking going on in her offices.  Anytime she is on Shark Tank, she acts like she is the Sun and everyone else is just cosmic dust in her orbit.  And her jewelry is fugly.

• LOL 6
  • Love 8

It grates, slices, and stores the cheese in the chopper.  

Is Ronco still around? I looked it up and it's currently on sale for $34.99.

I wonder if the FurZapper works for all hair, because my mother has long hair and she sheds like crazy. Gets all over her clothes. They really wanted that QVC connection. Also, after laughing at the $6 mil valuation the Sharks practically choked when they said they had $4 mil in yearly sales and I think it was an 88% margin.

The Matte mat; one of the female sharks talked about them all having their own tray for the one bathroom as kids. Somebody could just buy a tray for a couple of bucks that does the same thing, and you just move the tray when you need the sink. Can be easily knocked off at dollar stores. Bad investment.

Really liked the ophthalmologist as a person. I'm a huge klutz and would screw up applying eyelashes with glue. This was much easier but I'm not paying, was it $350, for a false eyelash system.

• Love 6

Oy that matte system was awful for all the reasons above! The tray Barbara mentioned made much more sense. Crikey what a doofus idea.

I don't have pets but I can see the fur grabber thing as the next scrub daddy. It should do quite well.

I was confused that Dr O didn't invent the eyelashes. That got glossed over too quickly. I wanted to hear more about that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Can it core a apple?

I'm ancient, so I got this right away. I haven't thought of that in years! Now excuse me, I have to go address the ball.....

• LOL 2

I like the cheese slicer thing the best.   But it looked kind of cheap.  I think they are correct they probably need customer feedback and refinement.  For one I think it would help to be able to measure or have an objective way to see how big a slice you're doing before you slice it.  But it has a future.  

The make up tray idea.   It like oked cheap And dumb.  I'm a guy.  I don't know this stuff.  But seemed like a tray or any number of things would work just as well, as was mentioned. 

The eyelash extensions were probably the best overall product, even though again I have no interest or need for them. 

The fur zapper. We have two dogs.  HUGE amount of fur everywhere. Including clothes.  But it washer and dryer gets them away without problems. So I dont see a need.  Now if it worked before or without washing, great. 

I love seeing me wonderful trying to control his anger with some of these dumb ideas.  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I will never ever ever ever buy anything associated with Kendra-I-Can’t-Stop—Telling-You-How-AHHHHMAAAAZZZING-I-Am-Scott.  What an obnoxious person!  She can’t not STFU about herself.  I am all for empowering and employing women, and giving female entrepreneurs a pathway into business. But I cannot imagine working with that woman.  I can imagine there’s a lot of ass kissing & boot licking going on in her offices.  Anytime she is on Shark Tank, she acts like she is the Sun and everyone else is just cosmic dust in her orbit.  And her jewelry is fugly.

OMG I cannot stand her bragging. she is almost as bad as the gopro guy.

• Love 4

The lashes aren't a new invention. The exact technology of lashes with a magnetic strip that attaches to iron particles in the eyeliner already exists. I know very little about makeup but I've seen those lashes somewhere, maybe in an Instagram ad. I think the doctor's claim was that hers were lighter weight. I've never worn false eyelashes and am so lazy I can barely manage to slap on mascara (much less a bra in these "unprecedented times"), so I'm definitely not a customer. The price was outrageous. Kendra was definitely the right partner for her, though.

• Love 4

I lost most of my eyelashes years ago from chemotherapy, and they didn't grow back, so mascara doesn't work.  I tried glue-on lashes once, but they are just a huge pain and look ridiculous.  I would consider something like this, but they look so fake to me.  Do you all think they look natural?

6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The eyelash extensions were probably the best overall product, even though again I have no interest or need for them. 

However, my self confidence has absolutely nothing to do with my eyelashes, which is why she claimed every woman needed them.

As an ophthalmologist, I don't know why she doesn't just prescribe Latisse for her patients who want thicker lashes.

• Love 1
On 4/9/2021 at 7:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Matte (Makeup Organizer)-A mat that unfolds, and fits over the bathroom sink, and is extra counter space.    Sells about $25 retail.   She's sold $200k without advertising. . .  I think a tray device, with a 2" lip on three sides, that could fit in a counter, or on the sink would work, and then you just move it to your bedroom after you finish.   Endlessly unfolding, setting up the makeup/dryer, etc., and then removing it all again, and refolding and storing the matte is absurd.     Where do you put your stuff between uses?   

Lori makes the deal. (I didn't like this product at all.   How long before someone wants to use the sink and starts whining?  Or if you have a drippy faucet, or the faucet isn't off?)

She has sold less than 8000 units since 2015. (The price on her website is now up to $35 or two for $60). What is the customer feedback on those? There is none on her website. I can really see people just throwing it out when the realize how inconvenient it is.

Now if she had something that was flexible enough that after you're done with all your preening you could just roll it up with everything inside of it and place it next to the sink until you need your grooming supplies again, I could see it being somewhat useful.

She just impresses me as someone who never washes her hands after she goes potty and brushes her teeth in the shower, so she doesn't need a sink with running water.

I'm wondering if the deal fell through because her website mentions being on Snark Tank but not having a deal with Lori.

1 hour ago, GussieK said:

I lost most of my eyelashes years ago from chemotherapy, and they didn't grow back, so mascara doesn't work.  I tried glue-on lashes once, but they are just a huge pain and look ridiculous.  I would consider something like this, but they look so fake to me.  Do you all think they look natural?

The doctor looked as if she was wearing the drag queen set, but Barbara said the set she was given looked very subtle and natural.

I would never buy a log of cheese big enough for that slicer, so not for me. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, GussieK said:

I found that the Doctor's ones looked rather fake - because some of these fake lashes are just so thick and ridiculous looking.  However, the ones in the package looked much more reasonable - I wonder if perhaps she added mascara to them?  The Doctor was great - I really liked her a lot.  Presenters on Shark Tank should use her as a template for how to present themselves.

I think that if you would enjoy having lashes, and can afford it, to maybe give a try.  You certainly deserve to treat yourself and I hope that your health has been good since. 🙂

The Matte mat was really dumb for all the reasons everyone mentioned.  A tray that you carry in and out of the bathroom (or put in a drawer or closet), was much smarter and sturdier.

The cheese thing really needs to have a way to set it for sizing thickness so you can quickly cut out a bunch of slices.  Barbara was right too - if you have multiple cheeses, this starts to take up a lot of room in your fridge.  I am also unconvinced about keeping the cheese fresh in the container.  I've tried everything and in my experience, keeping it in a container with air circulating makes it go bad fairly quickly.  The only thing I do now is tightly wrap it in plastic wrap.

I think that the pet hair thing will be Scrub Daddy 2.0.  If I had pets, I would certainly try it.

The look that Mark gave Lori during her bumblebee story was gold and that dress with the bows is beyond twee - she looks like a fool, not a successful businesswoman.  Kendra is annoying but not as bad as Mr. Uber.

• Love 5
On 4/9/2021 at 7:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

.FurZapper -Now I'm getting Chewy ads all over my pages.  

I'm glad Kevin didn't get the deal. He was talking about using the database from Basepaws to solicit buyers. I bought Basepaws and genetically tested my cat (see season 10 episode 21 board if you want all the gory details), but I do not want my info used to try to drag me in to buying other Snark Tank products. That isn't what I signed up for.

• Love 5

What saddened me a bit about the doctor was after the deal and she proclaimed how proud her parents would be.  I get it, but maybe they were already proud of her when she became, you know, a doctor...

I thought the matte thing was stupid as I immediately wondered about using the faucet during the make-up applications (I would use the faucet every once in a while when putting on make-up [which I haven't done since Covid...]).  It also looked flimsy.

I liked the cheese cutter but agreed that it needed more work.  When Lori said "I want to tell you a story" and then went with the bumblebee story, I just rolled my eyes.  I think she wants to be like Kevin with a wide breathe of knowledge.  She did this same thing in a previous episode.  The thing is that her stories are really common knowledge and do not show great knowledge or insight whereas Kevin's stories are more unique (IMO).  Both times I recall her doing this I have been underwhelmed with the "stories" she shares.

Immediately thought of Scrub Daddy with the dog hair thing.  If it really does work I think a lot of people will buy it.  Lori loved it-too bad she already gave away her 'only one per season' golden ticket because this product IS so her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Immediately thought of Scrub Daddy with the dog hair thing.  If it really does work I think a lot of people will buy it.  Lori loved it-too bad she already gave away her 'only one per season' golden ticket because this product IS so her.

I think the stupid golden ticket thing is only for when she offers someone exactly what they initially asked for. This guy had to negotiate the equity, so he wouldn't have qualified.

Thanks, @aemom. Maybe I'll splurge on lashes.  The doctor was impressive. 

I have a dog and I'm going to try the hair remover too.

I would like the cheese cutter if it worked better.  Also, I'm not so sure about storing the cheese if it's not re-sealed in a vaccuum.  I wouldn't use up those large blocks fast enough, and they would start to get moldy.  I once bought one of those vaccuum sealers, but it was a pain and I didn't use it.

With the Matte mat, it didn’t look like it was sturdy.    If you don’t have counter space for makeup, you probably don’t have a drawer to keep your things in and would have to carry things back to your room and the Matte mat can’t be used for that purpose.  

I don't understand the problem...if all your makeup and hair accessories fit in a basket you already have in your bathroom, why do you need to unfurl a mat and lay out everything? Doesn't everyone just use one thing at a time, or have I been doing it wrong?

When I moved into my boyfriend's apartment with one bathroom that has one sink and no countertop space and no medicine cabinet, I put up shelves.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, aemom said:

The look that Mark gave Lori during her bumblebee story was gold and that dress with the bows is beyond twee - she looks like a fool, not a successful businesswoman. 

I really laugh when she wears her Cap'n Crunch outfit...

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GussieK said:

Thanks, @aemom. Maybe I'll splurge on lashes.  The doctor was impressive. 

I have a dog and I'm going to try the hair remover too.

I would like the cheese cutter if it worked better.  Also, I'm not so sure about storing the cheese if it's not re-sealed in a vaccuum.  I wouldn't use up those large blocks fast enough, and they would start to get moldy.  I once bought one of those vaccuum sealers, but it was a pain and I didn't use it.

Let us know how it does, please. I have four cats and see cat hair tumbleweeds roll across my floor! 😏

• Love 1
5 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I'm glad Kevin didn't get the deal. He was talking about using the database from Basepaws to solicit buyers. I bought Basepaws and genetically tested my cat (see season 10 episode 21 board if you want all the gory details), but I do not want my info used to try to drag me in to buying other Snark Tank products. That isn't what I signed up for.

I thought it was pretty sketchy when Kevin said that. I didn't use the pet product he has, but I would have hated to hear someone I did buy from talk about giving my info to another company. It is like the worst part of buying online, of knowing they have your information and can do what they want with it. And I certainly get enough spam as it is.

56 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I don't understand the problem...if all your makeup and hair accessories fit in a basket you already have in your bathroom, why do you need to unfurl a mat and lay out everything? Doesn't everyone just use one thing at a time, or have I been doing it wrong?

I can see sometimes using two products at once if you are blending different eye shadows or if you are putting product in your hair while you are curling it.  But yes, usually one product at a time is fine and if you have a basket or a drawer you don't need the whole counter.

I used to have an issue when travelling because the it was so hard to find things in the make up bag I used. I ended up dumping the whole thing out and repacking it every day. So I bought this other product where it is a bag that opens flat so you can see everything, then you just pull the drawstring to pack it all up. That solved a problem for me. But the matte wouldn't help with that because you would still need a space to store things when you weren't using it. 

• Love 1

Whether they say it here or not you obviously know all that online data is being used right?   You don't even have to buy......this very websight has been proof of that on multiple occasions.  I google something hey there is a pop up ad for it for me on this websight.  

Its not like they are revealing some big secret.  

• Love 2
On 4/10/2021 at 10:05 PM, GussieK said:

There are tons of styles of lashes.  I personally don't wear them because I think I'd hate the way they feel (so, I was mildly interested in these until I saw the price), but my daughters love them so I've seen all types.  There are definitely some that only have a few wispy's to enhance your lashes and others that are a full set of lashes, but not so crazy they LOOK super fake.  I agree with the poster above, you should find some and treat yourself!

9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I thought it was pretty sketchy when Kevin said that. I didn't use the pet product he has, but I would have hated to hear someone I did buy from talk about giving my info to another company. It is like the worst part of buying online, of knowing they have your information and can do what they want with it. And I certainly get enough spam as it is.

I can see sometimes using two products at once if you are blending different eye shadows or if you are putting product in your hair while you are curling it.  But yes, usually one product at a time is fine and if you have a basket or a drawer you don't need the whole counter.

I used to have an issue when travelling because the it was so hard to find things in the make up bag I used. I ended up dumping the whole thing out and repacking it every day. So I bought this other product where it is a bag that opens flat so you can see everything, then you just pull the drawstring to pack it all up. That solved a problem for me. But the matte wouldn't help with that because you would still need a space to store things when you weren't using it. 

We were empty nesters for a short (blissful, amazing) time.  When COVID hit our youngest had to move back in with us.  I was using her room as my "get ready" space with a nice vanity, etc.  Now my stuff is in a drawer in my bathroom.  We have a large counter, but even with all of that space, when getting ready, I only take out the one or two items I need at a time, use it and then put it away.  I didn't like that mat(te) thing at all.  It felt like another product that created the item and then found the problem. 

• Love 2

I also thought the 'matte' product was a solution in search of a problem (like a lot of these pitches).  I liked Barbara's story of just keeping a Dollar Store tray you could use solved the 'problem' nicely, and could just as easily travel in the bottom of your carry on.  And the fact that it 'folds' makes me think it's not very sturdy, and would cave in if you added to much to it.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, jabRI said:

I also thought the 'matte' product was a solution in search of a problem (like a lot of these pitches).  I liked Barbara's story of just keeping a Dollar Store tray you could use solved the 'problem' nicely, and could just as easily travel in the bottom of your carry on.  And the fact that it 'folds' makes me think it's not very sturdy, and would cave in if you added to much to it.

Her website claims it can hold up to 2 pounds. I don't remember if that was included in her pitch.

On 4/10/2021 at 3:45 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

We have two dogs.  HUGE amount of fur everywhere. Including clothes.  But it washer and dryer gets them away without problems. So I dont see a need. 

Our dearly departed tabby liked to turn my black fleeces gray with his fur, but the fur always came out in the washer and dryer, so I was about to ask if this is more for dog owners than cat owners. I've had cats shedding on my clothes all my life and not once has the fur remained after washing them (my clothes, not the cats). Have I been insanely lucky or is this less of a problem than Lori and company think it is?

The mat was stupid for all the points you all said already.  I grew up in a 1 bathroom house with 4 other people from birth until I went to college. In college, my dorm had one bathroom on each floor with 8 sinks, 6 toilets and 4 shower stalls for 22 people per co-Ed floor. After college, my first apartment had a teeny pedestal sink and no counters.  When I got married and we bought our 1st house, it had 1 bathroom.  Because I never had the luxury of time, space or privacy, I never had the opportunity to do my hair or makeup in the bathroom.  I have always used my bedroom as my space to get ready, using my dresser or a vanity.  Now in my 50’s, with a slightly bigger house and a teenage daughter, we do not have a “Master Suite” with private bathroom.  We have a bath and a half, & hair and makeup is done in our bedrooms.  Am I the only person who doesn't do all my primping and prepping in the bathroom??  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Our dearly departed tabby liked to turn my black fleeces gray with his fur, but the fur always came out in the washer and dryer, so I was about to ask if this is more for dog owners than cat owners. I've had cats shedding on my clothes all my life and not once has the fur remained after washing them (my clothes, not the cats). Have I been insanely lucky or is this less of a problem than Lori and company think it is?

You must be insanely lucky. Laundering doesn’t get cat hair off my clothes. ☹️

• Love 1

As other have mentioned, the fact that the Matte gets placed over the sink would be a problem. I wash my hands throughout my makeup process, so I’d keep having to clear it off, move it aside, then set it back up. It’s really not so hard to keep your makeup in a bag and take out each item as you need it. To me, it seemed more useful for someone who gets ready in their bedroom but doesn’t want to get their dresser (or, let’s be honest, their bed) messy from all the loose powder particles and creams so it would work like a placemat. Maybe she should pivot to that as its purpose. 

• Love 2
On 4/12/2021 at 9:26 AM, eel21788 said:

Her website claims it can hold up to 2 pounds. I don't remember if that was included in her pitch.

I doubt the amount of stuff she had on the matte for her selling pitch weight less than 2 lbs.    So was it reinforced, or was that the world's lightest hairdryer and makeup?      

If I used that much makeup or hair stuff, I would get a little vanity table, and not haul items in and out of the bathroom constantly.  Also, the plastic organizers that have little compartments would hold the makeup easier, than moving it constantly.    

My FurZapper order is being delivered today, so I'll report back on if it helps with human hair in the dryer.    I received the double pack of FurZapper, and threw it in with my bath towels, and hair towels (when I wet my hair down, or shampoo it), and the zapper collected a little hair, but the rest ended up on the plastic fins in the dryer, just like it always does.   So I'll just use a dryer sheet on the dryer drum fins when there's too much hair.    I don't know if the zapper works on pet hair, but it doesn't work on mine.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 4/9/2021 at 9:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

3.  The Matte (Makeup Organizer)-....(This product needs a new name, Matte makes it sound like makeup or something).    I think a tray device, with a 2" lip on three sides, that could fit in a counter, or on the sink would work, and then you just move it to your bedroom after you finish.   Endlessly unfolding, setting up the makeup/dryer, etc., and then removing it all again, and refolding and storing the matte is absurd.     Where do you put your stuff between uses?   

On 4/12/2021 at 10:26 AM, eel21788 said:

On 4/13/2021 at 10:19 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I doubt the amount of stuff she had on the matte for her selling pitch weight less than 2 lbs.    So was it reinforced, or was that the world's lightest hairdryer and makeup?      

Yes her pitch did mention the 2 lbs, but it really did look flimsy to me.  And when she put the blow dryer on it, I noticed that the main part of the blow dryer was on the edge of the sink (which is also what is shown on the promotional picture on the website).  The website shows the finished product in its packaging, and unbelievably it looks even more like a tablet or office supply product. There is nothing AT ALL all on the packaging to suggest what it is for, and the main color they are promoting is the matte gray, which looks identical to a tablet or a date book.  Massive, massive packaging fail, and it makes me want the product itself to fail!

On 4/10/2021 at 3:45 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I like the cheese slicer thing the best.   But it looked kind of cheap.  I think they are correct they probably need customer feedback and refinement.  For one I think it would help to be able to measure or have an objective way to see how big a slice you're doing before you slice it.  But it has a future.  

I agree it looked cheap, and it definitely needed a way to gauge the size of a slice.  I think making them in a smaller size would also be a good idea, since that really is a huge chunk of cheese.  Or make one that's two sided, so you can put two cheeses into one space.

• Love 1
On 4/11/2021 at 4:00 PM, seacliffsal said:

Lori loved it-too bad she already gave away her 'only one per season' golden ticket because this product IS so her.

When she was going on and on about how this was the product for her, I was shouting at my TV "maybe, but are you the investor for them!?"

On 4/11/2021 at 7:00 PM, seacliffsal said:

I thought the matte thing was stupid as I immediately wondered about using the faucet during the make-up applications (I would use the faucet every once in a while when putting on make-up [which I haven't done since Covid...]).  It also looked flimsy.

Agreed on looking flimsy - it started to cave into the sink when the woman pressed to tout its sturdiness. If you own any board game, you already own the Matte.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I said I would report back on the fur zapper.  Not much help.  It didn't do better than normal washing and drying.  On a couple of fabrics, we retain a few dog hairs.  The zapper did not help with those. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2