Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: End of the World as We Know It

• Start Topic

Well, that escalated quickly.

Good character moments for everyone. The mayor and his wife didn't turn out to be quite as cringe as I thought they would be. Short but meaningful insights into Darcy's past. A bond between the Sheriff and Asta's dad.

It's starting to look like a crowded galaxy out there. Now we have Harry's species, the Greys, the Reptilians and the octopus aliens.

Out of anyone Harry knows locally who probably wouldn't be too shocked by him being an alien, Darcy is probably foremost among them. She'd think it was cool.

I appreciate that Asta took a moment to actually say that Harry being an alien made a lot of sense. Also Harry being relieved that someone finally knows.

Did the military gal who enjoys murdering things actually camp out in the bathroom and steal all the toilet paper in the other stall to contrive a meet-cute with the mayor's wife? That's hardcore.

• Love 6

Darcy would blab, though. Asta and her dad seem much more able to keep a secret. I was surprised that her dad was so averse to an alien, yet at the same time didn't seem at all shocked that one existed, unlike Asta who was basically the reverse (freaked out by the presence but not averse to helping).

It seems like Asta returned to town after Darcy's accident, specifically to help Darcy in her recovery. That wasn't at all how I imagined it happening.

• Love 2

The whole episode I was thinking this is 2021. Everybody has phones on them at all times. Why not just call somebody? Like the sheriff, he is super eager to help everyone anyway. 

Anyway, the major's wife looked stunning at their anniversary dinner and the moment between Asta and Harry when she told him she won't let him die was really well-acted. Another great episode, I'm so happy it was renewed for season 2.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Out of anyone Harry knows locally who probably wouldn't be too shocked by him being an alien, Darcy is probably foremost among them. She'd think it was cool.

Deputy Liv believes in aliens, she watches Ancient Aliens and has a crush on Giorgio Tsoukalos.

I was wondering why D'arcy never anchored her rope when climbing so that if she fell she wouldn't fall that far.

I am surprised that they had water, alcohol, but didn't have any food to get their strength back, HarryAlien really likes food.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Harvey said:

The whole episode I was thinking this is 2021. Everybody has phones on them at all times. Why not just call somebody? Like the sheriff, he is super eager to help everyone anyway. 

After the first fall, Asta looked at her phone and said: "I guess glaciers aren't part of a cell plan". When they did get out she did call her father.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I officially HATE murder military girl  woman. I am now terrified for anyone and everyone she's in a room with. Dammit. 

Otherwise, I truly enjoyed this episode.  Sheriff redeemed himself a smidge with his moment with Asta's dad, former Deputy Liv was awesome as always, the mayor and wife were adorable, and holy heck, Asta and D'arcy are superwomen. 

I'm not sure how this is gonna wrap up, but I'm here for it. And yay for a second season!

(Also, the doctor's wife totally murdered him, lol.) 

• Love 11

After the first fall, Asta looked at her phone and said: "I guess glaciers aren't part of a cell plan". When they did get out she did call her father.

I half wanted to see D'arcy try that as soon as she was on more solid ground, but It also fit that she thought of herself as both resourceful enough and urgent enough to complete the rescue herself. 

I also liked that once they were out, Harry wasn't completely out of the woods, magically sitting in bed, fully conscious and almost normal.  Being in a glacier had consequences.  And we get a name, kind of, for Psycho Scully.

Did the military gal who enjoys murdering things actually camp out in the bathroom and steal all the toilet paper in the other stall to contrive a meet-cute with the mayor's wife? That's hardcore.

I missed that at first, but yes, and that fits. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I'm not sure how this is gonna wrap up, but I'm here for it. And yay for a second season

I think it will go something like this:

1. Military girl who enjoys killing people goes to the major's house and ends up talking to the kid who can see Harry's true form. She will get a clue about who the Alien is. 

2. She will find and capture a still injured and therefore weak Harry and takes him into the military headquarters so season 1 can end on a cliffhanger. 

3. The radio/murder weapon thing will be left behind with the nurse lady. In season 2 Harry will be desperate to get out so he can accomplish his mission but by the time he is able to do it he will no longer want to since he has grown fond of humans. 

• Love 1

I like that the women managed to rescue themselves. Darcy may be a bit of a mess on an average day, but she's badass in a crisis. And Asta is just the best, all around.

I hate the murder-happy investigator, too. She's got no nuance and it's not working for me. Maybe her partner turns against her and winds up allying with Harry.

OriginalVanDerSpeigle corpse in the freezer is going to be a problem, though. Harry lied so much to Asta, at some point she's going to find out and her heart is going to be broken because she trusted him, she saved him, and she believed him when he said he was there to help and that the device was to save rather than destroy. 

I thought Darcy did try to call for help but she couldn't get a signal, and she tried to anchor herself but the ice caved in before she got a chance. 

I think they didn't bring food because they ran off after Harry really fast, not really stopping to load up on provisions.

I hope Max susses out how bad the agent is, and doesn't tell on Harry. It's too easy if he is the one who reveals it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I wondered if military lady is really another alien trying to find Harry. Either to help or hurt him. Just because she is so off the wall. I admit to being influenced by Paul in thinking that  

And I agree the mayor’s wife looked stunning. That dress was so sexy without being too much. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I liked seeing Ex-Deputy Liv having fun on her date. But did we know the guy she was with, before now?

I think we saw him with Darcy on the glacier doing the controlled avalanche.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Harry lied so much to Asta, at some point she's going to find out and her heart is going to be broken because she trusted him, she saved him, and she believed him when he said he was there to help and that the device was to save rather than destroy. 

Other than telling her that his destruction device was a radio, I don't think Harry lied very much to Asta at all.  In fact, he did a lot of tap-dancing with his phraseology to imply he was actually here for a benevolent purpose without lying. 

I liked this episode overall even though it was kind of dark.  Once again this show takes a turn so you can't quite put your finger on what kind of show it is.   I was disappointed, though, that in the scenes in the crevasse, the background looked so obviously false.  It appeared to be all  styrofoam blocks and soap bubble snow, so poorly done that it took me out of the scene several times. 

That being said, here's to snow bees, ice hornets, and Harry's child number 62: "It has my eyes."

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 4

His clear intention was to manipulate and deceive her. To me, that's lying. Maybe not in a court of law, but for sure in a friendship. And the radio lie was a HUGE one. To me, it's all lying and will really hurt her when the truth comes out. 

He has to choose a side, or find a way to broker a truce. Hey-- maybe Sahar can come up with a plan.

• Love 4

Surrounded by Canadian accents all the time, it's always fun when I actually can hear the difference. Gary Farmer wasn't bothering to change his vowels in this episode.

Yeah, FormerlyDeputyLiz! Making out in public is a good way to forget your troubles.

I vote for MurderScully as the name for the murderous military woman. Also still wondering if the General is scared of the aliens or excited by them.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Other than telling her that his destruction device was a radio, I don't think Harry lied very much to Asta at all.  In fact, he did a lot of tap-dancing with his phraseology to imply he was actually here for a benevolent purpose without lying. 

And the trivial fact that he murdered the original Harry 🙂

• Love 6
1 hour ago, meira.hand said:

And the trivial fact that he murdered the original Harry 🙂

This so much. One of his inner monologues had him saying to himself that he didn't kill him on purpose, that he didn't know throwing him would kill him and it was all self-defense. But it seems clear that he absolutely would have killed him on purpose anyway, to protect his secret about being an alien, and to take his bodily form. Plus, his entire purpose in being there is to kill EVERYONE. And now he has (most of) the corpse in the freezer. What possible resolution is there to this mess?

Maybe his species has some kind of tech that can revive OriginalHarry. Maybe that would be redemptive. But it wouldn't solve the lying and betrayal aspect of the situation. They need something more.

• Love 2

Having him kill OriginalHarry is the flaw that this show will struggle to get over, IMO. It's hard to love Harry and his humour when I remember that he killed someone and has been lying about it. I've been sticking with this show but that is going to eventually sink the show for me when either Asta finds out and is done with Harry or finds out and is okay with it. Harry and Asta are the core of this show to me, not in a shipper way but just in a strong bond way.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Having him kill OriginalHarry is the flaw that this show will struggle to get over, IMO. It's hard to love Harry and his humour when I remember that he killed someone and has been lying about it. I've been sticking with this show but that is going to eventually sink the show for me when either Asta finds out and is done with Harry or finds out and is okay with it. Harry and Asta are the core of this show to me, not in a shipper way but just in a strong bond way.

I have a different belief about this situation, which may or may not happen, so I will put it in a spoiler so as not to ruin it for those people if this does occur in a future episode.

Spoiler

HarryAlien will use the body of HarryHuman to fake his own death to escape the clutches of the Government Alien Hunters.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I love that Asta's dad's reaction to his daughter bringing an alien to his diner was less "holy shit an alien!" and more "don't let him get near the food!" which I can certainly appreciate from someone in the food service industry. This episode was more on the dramatic side, but it really worked with a lot of great character moments and some big plot advancements. I am thrilled to hear that we are getting a season two, I am so psyched to see what crazy directions this show takes next. 

Asta saying how Harry being an alien explains a lot made me smile, I feel like a lot of people would say that if they knew who Harry really was. Darcy would probably think its cool, but no way would she be able to keep that a secret. Poor Asta is going to be so heartbroken when she finds out that Harry lied to her, both about what he did to real Harry and what his true intentions for Earth are. 

Darcy might be a mess in her day to day life, but she is a stone cold badass in a crisis. I can totally see her being one of those people that can seem silly or flighty normally but are absolutely cool headed in a crisis situation. A lot of great character moments in general this week, the Sheriff and Asta's dad, former deputy Liv on her cute, the mayor and his wife's date, plus of course everything on the glacier, as Harry admits that he is feeling things he has never felt before, even sadness over his partners passing. 

Sure is a crowded universe, new species are all over the place. Now I am super paranoid about anyone being an alien, I am still suspicious of the new doctor. Will he reveal a big zipper on his back? The murder agent is so down for random killing that any scene between her and anyone else becomes so intense. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, vibeology said:

Unless original Harry was a serial killer or something else that would make us hate him. I mean why hide out in a cabin like that at his age? Alien harry also tried to kill a kid so its not like he is the most likable guy in the universe.

If original Harry was a bad guy and alien harry decides not to kill all humans when he has the chance that would probably redeem him.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, UnknownK said:

Unless original Harry was a serial killer or something else that would make us hate him. I mean why hide out in a cabin like that at his age? Alien harry also tried to kill a kid so its not like he is the most likable guy in the universe.

I think HarryHuman did something in New York that made him hide out in Colorado. That something will probably come to Colorado looking for him and AlienHarry will have to deal with it.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

That Harry killed original Harry and wants to destroy the human race is not a deal breaker for me. Neither is the fact that he tried to kill Max and Sahar. I can’t really explain why but it just isn’t that kind of show for me. I am having too much fun with it to care. 

• Love 18
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I think HarryHuman did something in New York that made him hide out in Colorado. That something will probably come to Colorado looking for him and AlienHarry will have to deal with it.

Just about to say this. Didn't Harry's wife mention that two men came by looking for him in NY, and that's why she came to see him in Colorado? There's definitely something up or shady with HarryHuman that we don't know yet.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

If I was Darcy and had single handedly climbed out of the crevasse, then hauled the other two out as dead weight (and considering Harry is really a 9 foot alien with extra arms and a tail, that's a lot of dead weight), and then they ditched me and vanished, well I would be pissed!  Mighty pissed!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

While in general killing someone is a bad thing and surely would upset Asta, but if it comes out Harry killed humanharry, Asta didn’t know him. They weren’t friends or had ever met before so at least there won’t also be the “you killed my friend” piece of it... 

It’s also possible they will twist things so someone else gets blamed for humanharry’s death.

28 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

If I was Darcy and had single handedly climbed out of the crevasse, then hauled the other two out as dead weight (and considering Harry is really a 9 foot alien with extra arms and a tail, that's a lot of dead weight), and then they ditched me and vanished, well I would be pissed!  Mighty pissed!

Totally agree, but how have I missed the tail?!?!

1 hour ago, roctavia said:

It’s also possible they will twist things so someone else gets blamed for humanharry’s death.

Since Harry felt such relief at revealing his secret to Asta, I think it's only a matter of time before he tells her he killed HumanHarry. 

• Love 1

Wow, that is some restaurant that makes its female patrons look terrific.  Both (ex) Deputy Liv and the mayor's wife looked stunning.

I really liked this episode - I liked how Harry could talk about his true self to Asta (and her reactions), how the usually clownish Sheriff immediately went to help Asta's father.  

The only thing I did not like was Darcy's single handed rescue - it just was so completely unrealistic.  I know it was necessary for plot purposes, but I think it could have been done differently.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

My PVR only decided to record this episode earlier this evening but it was definitely worth the wait. There was a lot of tension and I was super surprised to have Astra actually learn that Harry is an alien. Also, Darcy is pretty badass. Scaling out of that crevice with a broken arm proves she's quite a fighter. I'm looking forward to next week!

• Like 1
On 3/19/2021 at 8:10 PM, possibilities said:

The corpse is in his freezer. I keep wondering why he's left it there instead of getting rid of it somehow. 

After a foot already showed up it might be because he has watched all of Law & Order and hasn't found a sure proof disposal method

Edited by Raja
11 hours ago, Raja said:

After a foot already showed up it might be bBecause he has watched all of Law & Order and hasn't found a sure proof disposal method

I also think he just hasn’t had time since he couldn’t do it with the wife there and he was trying to find his ship and device...

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 3/21/2021 at 4:16 AM, femmefan1946 said:

So many questions.

I'm having a hard time not making enquries at the comic book store.

Spoiler

They aren't strictly following the comic book, FYI. 

• Useful 1

It seemed a bit odd to me that in the little town of Patience they had a restaurant that served escargot, chicken paillard, with upscale waiters, etc. I live in a city of 200,000+ and I know of no restaurant here that serves escargot--have to go to San Francisco or L.A. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Love 4
On 3/19/2021 at 4:10 PM, gibasi said:

That Harry killed original Harry and wants to destroy the human race is not a deal breaker for me. Neither is the fact that he tried to kill Max and Sahar.

AlienHarry is like Walter White - as despicable his actions are, you just can't help not rooting for him

I'm wondering if, now that Harry in alien form has lost the bottom half of his right leg if, once he morphs back into HumanHarry's body, will HH's DNA give him a full human leg back?

• Love 3
16 hours ago, alvajon said:

It seemed a bit odd to me that in the little town of Patience they had a restaurant that served escargot, chicken paillard, with upscale waiters, etc. I live in a city of 200,000+ and I know of no restaurant here that serves escargot--have to go to San Francisco or L.A. 🙂

Even odder since I just re-watched the pilot (paying a bit more attention than I did originally) and Harry states that Patience does not have a pizza parlor. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, alvajon said:

Escargot come in a can, unless you are raising them for the table, in which case they would not be available in winter. For the very occasional guy who orders them, the kitchen could keep a can of snails and a bag of shells for presentation on the back shelf. Mostly you just need lots of garlic and butter.

And chicken paillard sounds pretty simple- flatten your chicken breasts, make a lemon based sauce, serve on a bed of salad greens.

The menu wasn't surprising, the size of the restaurant in a small,isolated community was.

BTW- here's a guide to the restaurants of Ladysmith BC, which is used for backgrounds and street scenes. Frankly it is no surprise that the two leading businesses are vegan restaurants given the population.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-e&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:9&tbm=lcl&sxsrf=ALeKk03jBmKdKfE61xvwIb_cvH7wDO8U5Q:1616658932662&q=lady+smith+bc+restaurants&rflfq=1&num=10&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiLvp3r-8rvAhXqGDQIHVexBWEQjGp6BAgFEGc&biw=1392&bih=974#rlfi=hd:;si:10705134584918115836,l,ChlsYWR5IHNtaXRoIGJjIHJlc3RhdXJhbnRzSLL6kPqqqoCACFpKChlsYWR5IHNtaXRoIGJjIHJlc3RhdXJhbnRzEAAQARACEAMYABgBGAIiGWxhZHkgc21pdGggYmMgcmVzdGF1cmFudHMqBAgDEAOSAQRjYWZlmgEjQ2haRFNVaE5NRzluUzBWSlEwRm5TVVJWZG5KRGFsTkJFQUWqAQwQASoIIgRmb29kKAA,y,Ndkgmornpbo;mv:[[49.080331699999995,-123.28255290000001],[48.3966869,-123.91753879999999]]

On 3/24/2021 at 2:57 AM, alvajon said:

We lived in Sacramento and you could buy escargot at the local Walmart.  I thought it was super strange. We never bought any.

Maybe Patience is a skiing town that gets a lot of tourism?

• Useful 1

Do we know the population of Patience?

Being a tourist town (which could mean skiing), really does increase the odds of finding restaurant options. I lived in a town of 7,000 for a while and we had a lot of tourists (their presence doubled the population during the peak tourist season) and the restaurants were great.

4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Do we know the population of Patience?

Being a tourist town (which could mean skiing), really does increase the odds of finding restaurant options. I lived in a town of 7,000 for a while and we had a lot of tourists (their presence doubled the population during the peak tourist season) and the restaurants were great.

Also escargot can be got frozen. Also Octopus, squid and prepared entrees. 

I’m more surprised they have a pet Octopus, also in a small aquarium. Poor Nathan.