Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Miles Apart

• Start Topic

Maggie is forced to face the harsh reality that cancer still controls her life, while Gary must choose between supporting a friend in need and building his relationship with Darcy. Meanwhile, Rome helps Regina at Someday during the COVID-19 transition.

Airing Thursday, March 18, 2021.

• Useful 1

Thoughts! Aren't you glad?

Was the editing really odd, or was it just me? There was a random scene of Maggie checking into the clinic (more to come on that later) with Gary, still nitpicking Willy Wonka, right in the middle of the scene between Eddie and Dakota. Then, it went back to Eddie/Dakota and then back to Gary/Maggie. I was going, "Huh? Wait, why?"

That was the most WTH for me. But, most of the scenes seemed really short and chopped.

Surprised Gary didn't find issue with the tunnel scene of Willy Wonka. You know, I grew up with that movie. I really don't think parents in the '80s really cared what their kids watched.

London and Boston aren't in the same time zone? Really? I think this is the first time the show has ever acknowledged this!

If I never hear about Rome's movie it will be too soon. This still ain't a tragedy!

So help me follow this little thread--a kid takes it upon himself to deliver takeout. No telling the business owners he's doing it? Just grabs and goes. Then "Hey, give me a job! I did delivery for you!" Does that strike anyone else as very odd? But Gina needs to fire what's his name, especially for not being sure about the "No Peanuts" thing and hire the kid. What is about this universe that people can't fire underlings for massive screwups?

However... I'd be more interested in this screenplay that Rome is starting now based on this kid than I ever could have been on the movie based on Rome's life.

Darcy, girl, you deserve better. I've realized that the reason I even tolerate Gary now is because I like James Roday Rodriguez. But, oh my gosh, girl, you deserve better! And the preview looks like he's still doing what he's been doing to Darcy.

But I was very glad that Jamie showed up. How was he able to fly, though? I don't remember, because I don't travel, but could people still fly internationally during this time? With the lockdowns and the borders being closed?

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Jesus, shut up, Theo.

I feel like the first time you have your boyfriend meet your kid probably shouldn't be on a camping trip. What's wrong with, like, dinner?

Huh, I guess you can screw up deliveries...

Why is Regina employing this Teddy guy? He seems useless. And he's gonna get some poor peanut-allergic person killed.

• Love 7

I tried to google when they cut off travel from the UK/Europe. When I used Europe all the results were from March of last year; when I used UK they were from December. (I'm not that invested in this story to look much further than that.)

• Love 2

I’ll totally handwavium Jamie getting to the US and Maggie not being able to get to the UK. There’s so much not-right with this show, I appreciate the pretty English accent of Jamie. Who is probably stuck in the US for at least the rest of the season.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, historylover820 said:

If I never hear about Rome's movie it will be too soon. This still ain't a tragedy!

Rome is a whiner.  Every week.  He seems so incompetent it's hard for me to believe he was ever a successful commercial director. No wonder Regina didn't want kids - Rome is more work than any toddler. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, historylover820 said:

But I was very glad that Jamie showed up. How was he able to fly, though? I don't remember, because I don't travel, but could people still fly internationally during this time? With the lockdowns and the borders being closed?

I know Jamie said that he managed to get on the last flight before the borders closed. I imagine they probably closed at midnight and he flew a couple of hours before. So that made sense to me. I was really happy to see Jamie do that, as well. I was wondering if this was the last we would have seen Jamie, but it makes so much sense that he'd fly out to her and quarantine with her in the US. We get to keep the character for a while! Hooray! And it pauses the Gary/Maggie reunion! I really do like Jamie/Maggie together. I love Darcy, but poor girl has to deal with Gary's lingering feelings toward Maggie. Yes, Gary wanted to be there for his friend, but even Maggie knew that Gary would stay with her and she lied to him in order to try to get him to go on his trip. 

At least Gary did the right thing and NOT run right back into his trip with Darcy and her son after he saw Jamie show up. 

Eddie's storyline is frustrating to watch and is making me not care about him again. Sure, David Giuntoli is doing the best job that he can and he's certainly talented...but they're making me hate his character again so...

Regina/Rome's storyline was a mess. No, Rome, you shouldn't hire the kid who STOLE YOUR DELIVIERIES WITHOUT TELLING YOU. That would warrant at least taking him home and telling his mother what he did, because no matter if he actually did the deliveries, the way he did it was SO WRONG. And now Rome is...what, gonna convince Regina to hire the kid who lied and stole because he gives a sob story? And, once again, Regina looks like she's the one in the wrong for not hiring the kid, despite her saying that she literally does NOT have the money? Once again, the man in this show gets to make the final decision while the woman just says "Yes, dear". And, apparently, Rome is inspired by this kid who stole their deliveries. Jesus, man, try to think of some original ideas.

• Love 7

Random thoughts:

I liked the Rome rallied and sucked it up to go help Regina at the restaurant. Then he failed epically, so that was the end of me liking that storyline. I did laugh at the "Tell me about your fake basketball team" line.

The "I need you to mentor me while I record a song, so here's some drugs" thing is stupid at best.

Theo is how old and cannot put his shoes on without a hovering parent?

Who was going to be staying with Danny and his sister while Gary and Darcy were going to camp and Delilah is in France?

I really like Jamie. I'm surprised because I really didn't like the actor in either Modern Family or Single Parents, but think he's great here. I'm glad that he came to be with her.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Aileen said:

Theo is how old and cannot put his shoes on without a hovering parent?

Well, he still sounds like a five-year-old, so...

Is he supposed to be getting defiant because he's subconsciously picking up on his dad's problems or something like that? What was with the snotty "Einstein didn't wear socks" line? You're going ice skating. You're old enough to know you need socks. Brat. (And he sounds so unnatural delivering his lines that I just don't buy it.)

8 minutes ago, Aileen said:

The "I need you to mentor me while I record a song, so here's some drugs" thing is stupid at best.

Yeah, the best mentors are always either high on or jonesing for painkillers. (And he goes and takes two right there by the door when his wife and/or kid could come in at any moment. Real smart.) Did he have issues with drugs other than alcohol before? Did he actually have a conversation with his doctor about his history of addiction before deciding "I'm not going to take them and that's that, oops, now I'm suddenly an addict"? There must be a way for his doctors to work with him so he can deal with his pain like a responsible adult, but he doesn't seem to have even tried to do that.

I'm not in the music industry; is it really realistic that all the musicians she's working with are openly getting high while working?

9 minutes ago, Aileen said:

I really like Jamie. I'm surprised because I really didn't like the actor in either Modern Family or Single Parents, but think he's great here. I'm glad that he came to be with her.

I didn't even realize he was the same guy as in Modern Family until someone mentioned it on the thread for the first episode he was in and I looked it up. I didn't watch Single Parents regularly; don't remember him in that. Other than MF I wasn't familiar with him at all. I like him for being willing to fly across an ocean to support her (and not questioning that it was her decision to make). (I also like that we didn't get another "backs out at the last minute" story like with Delilah.) 

• Love 1

Its too bad Maggie only has about three friends now and everyone she knew before she got with Gary and joined the collective, so now she is rather limited on who she can call when she needs someone. So I thought that Maggie and Gary would get closer to getting back together through Maggie's baby, but it was actually through her abortion. I am really glad that Jamie showed up at her door (and may have snickered at Gary's face when he saw him) I really like him and I am glad to get more of him being around. I just feel so bad for Darcy, I knew as soon as Gary volunteered to go to the clinic with Maggie that he would blow off the trip with Darcy and her son to stay with her. Yeah, "Maggie needs me" does not sound good. I know that Maggie needed someone, but it seems clear that Darcy will never be a priority for him over Maggie. I thought the set up for meeting her son was weird though, going on a camping trip as the first time you meet your girlfriends kid seems like a lot. I really like Darcy but I kind of just want her to end things with Gary before she gets hurt more of her kid gets too invested. Well Darcy, there's this lovely Englishman I know named Jamie, and I feel like he is about to become available as well...

I know that in this universe someone stealing food as some kind of job interview is probably "spunky" and not "theft" but I have no idea why Regina would hire this kid. Sure he delivered the food but does she want to hire such an unpredictable element, especially when she is facing the very real threat of her restaurant closing? Of course Rome will try to get her to hire him and will get another teen in need to mentor, which is what he's wanted anyway, plus new fodder for his movie, because there is no plot more exciting than a teenager selling chocolate and stealing food but then delivering it. Can Rome not actually think of an original idea? He has to mine the life stories of everyone he meets instead? Rome is also hilariously incompetent at any restaurant stuff, he cant even handle the very easy job of standing by the food so it can be delivered. So if that one employee is such an idiot, why isn't he fired? 

So Eddie calls Dakota to get drugs, and how she is going to keep giving them to him so that he can keep mentoring her? Those are both pretty fucked up you guys. I get why they went this way with Eddie, but I am really not into this story. It just depressing and its making me dislike Eddie again, and he is normally one of my favorite characters. I hope that he can tell Katherine the truth soon and they can deal with this. I also hope that they can stop writing Theo like a four year old as he clearly continues to get older and older. He really cant even handle putting socks on, that's too much for him? Is he alright? 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I thought the set up for meeting her son was weird though, going on a camping trip as the first time you meet your girlfriends kid seems like a lot.

Also, Darcy and her son were sleeping in the same room, right? So Gary would have slept in the same room too? Uh, no.

• Love 3

The Eddie/Dakota reunion, ridiculous.  How could she give him drugs to further her career and think that is okay because he initially was using her to get drugs.  Also, Theo is annoying for sure but I think they are setting the scene for Eddie to blow up at him which is not keeping with Eddie’s relationship wit his son, so Katherine will be suspicious or Theo’s reaction will shock Eddie into realizing he must stop.

The Darcy son meeting Eddie on a camping trip and him canceling was meant to have a bigger impact then if he just postponed a dinner to the next day.  I like Darcy, but I think the show will ultimately put Gary and Maggie back together.

Another setup, that guy that currently works for Regina is being shown as incompetent so she can fire him and that would make room for the new kid.  Rome will then act as a surrogate dad.

I thought Maggie would back out of the abortion, bringing more drama via Gary/Jamie if she had the baby.  

No Delilah or mention of her????

• Love 1
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I don’t know much about pain medication abuse, but at the studio, was that Eddie enduring intense pain or Eddie suffering from withdrawal? It’s too soon for withdrawal, isn’t it?

Yeah, I don't know either. I was reading it as withdrawal, but I was pretty confused by that too.

• Love 1

This season got off to a great start for about three episodes and now its back to the same old crap. I'll give it one or two more episodes and if nothing changes for the better, I'm out. Really wanted to like this show. Nothing that happened last night had a semblance of reality, other than Covid's impact and Maggie's situation, both of which were depressing.

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Rome is also hilariously incompetent at any restaurant stuff, he cant even handle the very easy job of standing by the food so it can be delivered. So if that one employee is such an idiot, why isn't he fired? 

Just realized that the male leads are nice too look at (I guess) for female viewers, but other than that they're different shades of sad.

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I get why they went this way with Eddie, but I am really not into this story. It just depressing and its making me dislike Eddie again, and he is normally one of my favorite characters.

I can only hope there's some redemption somewhere down the line, but who the heck knows?

And there are also times where there's a little too much reality...I'm almost 60 years old and really didn't need to learn how chemically-induced abortions work...I kept changing the channel every time Maggie came onscreen because I felt so uncomfortable.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 1

haven't seen the episode yet, but am I to understand that Maggie was refusing alcohol due to being pregnant with a child she was aborting?  I suppose it pays to keep options open to the last minute but this didn't make sense to me

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, snarkylady said:

haven't seen the episode yet, but am I to understand that Maggie was refusing alcohol due to being pregnant with a child she was aborting?  I suppose it pays to keep options open to the last minute but this didn't make sense to me

This was briefly alluded to...she made some comment about how at first she thought she could live a normal life and then realized the cancer was in control. I don’t think her intention was an abortion when she first found out. From interviews a writer did last week it sounds like a pregnancy isn’t compatible with a body who underwent chemo within the past year.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Am heart broken, I thought Gary is gonna be the daddy, I need more drama, more chaos, more messiness in my AMLT world 🙄

Darcy should leave Gary, too many red flags, not worth it. Is Gary even working now? What is with all the AMLT men, putting their lives/plans on hold for Maggie? Geez... she must be so bombastic in bed! 🙄

Don’t really like Eddie’s storyline this season, too depressing, Eddie used to be so easy on the eyes, now he is looking greasy like he hasn’t taken any shower. Bring back the old Eddie! Why do we have to see Theo every week??? 😩

Not interested in Rome’s story, it’s gonna be PJ 2.0.

So, still no Delilah this week 🤔

• Love 3

12 hours ago, Aileen said:

You might want to try watching You're the Worst. He's the lead and he's hilarious in it!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Why would her chemo about a year ago effect her pregnancy and she felt she needed to terminate? I missed that explanation.

A long time ago, I had a friend who was battling cancer and accidentally got pregnant.  I understood from her that your body goes into "grow mode" for both the cancer and the baby.  I applied that reasoning to why Maggie said cancer was making her pregnancy decision for her.

It's good that Jaime got his butt across the pond in record time because that phone conversation was excruciating.  "Um, okay then . . . "

I was sure we would learn that the delivery kid is living in atrocious circumstances--cardboard box under a bridge, bunked down in a car, homeless shelter dangerous for juvies.  Maybe that's next week.  Maybe Rome and Regina can adopt him!  : )

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Another setup, that guy that currently works for Regina is being shown as incompetent so she can fire him and that would make room for the new kid.  Rome will then act as a surrogate dad.

That incompetent guy just reiterated my opinion that Delilah and Reggie shouldn't be in business.   She lets me do this because I can't screw it up... Is he the investor's nephew? Because otherwise.....

Still, my thought isn't just that Rome mentors him.  I thin his mom dies of Covid and they adopt him.

• Love 3

I know it is normal for this show to have no continuity or make much sense but almost every episode we had people stopping working to check on Theo if he had a boo-boo, or to watch a middle school play, or to look for a lost dog, or to simply (be there, because family). The restaurant opened and Regina could just change her schedule in a heartbeat, not to mention that Delilah is just a name in the contract. But now she is too busy to talk? I understand the anxiety to change things last minute but that's what happens when writers are not really creative or invested in telling a story, just forced to come up with scripts, screw the logic of the characters.

I didn't mind Maggie this episode. The one I can't stand is Gary. He is nosy and doesn't respect anyone else's decision. Maggie didn't want him there, he should have respected that. the just keeps forcing his way into people's lives, ugh!

• Love 2

Eddie’s storyline is really sad - I get that addiction is a huge problem in this country, but wish his story would have explored a new career for him instead of accident/addiction. btw, did his sister fall off the face of the earth?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, candall said:

I was sure we would learn that the delivery kid is living in atrocious circumstances--cardboard box under a bridge, bunked down in a car, homeless shelter dangerous for juvies.  Maybe that's next week.  Maybe Rome and Regina can adopt him!  : )

and his mother really died years ago...

3 hours ago, circumvent said:

I didn't mind Maggie this episode. The one I can't stand is Gary. He is nosy and doesn't respect anyone else's decision. Maggie didn't want him there, he should have respected that. the just keeps forcing his way into people's lives, ugh!

Well, I still dislike Maggie, don't know why, she just is annoying.

I don't think it's that she didn't want him there, but I think that, for once, she was thinking about what was best for Gary and she was letting him get on with his life.

Of course, that wouldn't last because they MUST be together eventually.  Yuck.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

I don't think it's that she didn't want him there, but I think that, for once, she was thinking about what was best for Gary and she was letting him get on with his life.

True, I agree with that. Gary still went out of his way to disrespect her wishes. It is not up to him to decide if her reasons were valid or not, if the reasons were for his sake or hers. He decided that he was going to barge in anyway. He does that to everyone becauue he is arrogant and believes he is the one who can make things better all the time.

• Love 2
On 3/19/2021 at 7:16 AM, Aileen said:

Who was going to be staying with Danny and his sister while Gary and Darcy were going to camp and Delilah is in France?

Sophie is old enough to manage things for a weekend, just not old enough to do it for an extended time period.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, JLaw said:

I hate that I watch this shitshow... I however will continue

Right? I resent it, too. The commercials they showed before they aired the pilot made me think it would be good. 

I think the cinematography is still very appealing...?

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

The commercials they showed before they aired the pilot made me think it would be good. 

That's because they made it seem like a completely different show.

• Love 3

Dakota shows up and hands Eddie a bottle of pills in the front doorway right in view of their Ring cam or the TV equivalent of the Ring cam. We even saw a quick shot of the camera that we knew was already there because Katherine checked the camera one time before. So, will Katherine inadvertently stumble upon this little interaction? Or even just the fact that Eddie is keeping this a secret of him leaving the house with her...wouldn't Katherine get an alert of the motion of movement outside the front door and be curious enough to check since her paralyzed husband is home alone? Or am I overthinking this show a tad too much...LOL! 

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, zengirl1215 said:

Dakota shows up and hands Eddie a bottle of pills in the front doorway right in view of their Ring cam or the TV equivalent of the Ring cam. We even saw a quick shot of the camera that we knew was already there because Katherine checked the camera one time before. So, will Katherine inadvertently stumble upon this little interaction? Or even just the fact that Eddie is keeping this a secret of him leaving the house with her...wouldn't Katherine get an alert of the motion of movement outside the front door and be curious enough to check since her paralyzed husband is home alone? Or am I overthinking this show a tad too much...LOL! 

Nothing in this show is off limits when it comes to absurdities but you are wrong in one little thing: Eddie wasn't home alone, Katherine was upstairs with Theo, the brat didn't want to brush his teeth or something.

I didn't notice the camera thing. As a aside, cops are using Ring to arrest people, violating their 4th amendment rights. But for that to happen, Katherine would have to give the cops permission - in theory. They probably can get into all of our stuff anyway, the surveillance is everywhere.

Edited by circumvent
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, circumvent said:

Nothing in this show is off limits when it comes to absurdities but you are wrong in one little thing: Eddie wasn't home alone, Katherine was upstairs with Theo, the brat didn't want to brush his teeth or something.

He was brushing and reading!! 🙄

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 3/20/2021 at 4:49 AM, circumvent said:

I know it is normal for this show to have no continuity or make much sense but almost every episode we had people stopping working to check on Theo if he had a boo-boo, or to watch a middle school play, or to look for a lost dog, or to simply (be there, because family). The restaurant opened and Regina could just change her schedule in a heartbeat, not to mention that Delilah is just a name in the contract. But now she is too busy to talk? I understand the anxiety to change things last minute but that's what happens when writers are not really creative or invested in telling a story, just forced to come up with scripts, screw the logic of the characters.

Yep just like with Theo is in a show where "everyone has to have a part to feel included". I he is a damn human prop with three words? You get WHY Katherine and Eddie are there, I mean it's their parents. Everyone acts like he has the lead in a broadway show. Good thing to just ignore COVID and then when Rome has something GOOD in his life, have to F it up again. Then COVID exists again even though they have said how many months passed since Eddie's "bad accident" and how long Delilah has been in France. Apparently everything happened in just a month after last years finale and now they are to be "caught up" with the rest of the world. Because the writers can't film as many episodes or they fact their storylines are just plained dumb. 

29 minutes ago, circumvent said:

I meant Eddie was home alone the first time Dakota showed up and that he told her he'll text/call her after Katherine and Theo leave meaning he will be alone. I knew Katherine was there when Dakota gave him the pills...that's why I was saying if Katherine inadvertently checks the Ring if she spots the alerts. Again, I'm probably overthinking the show. LOL!

• Love 2

Does Darcy not have custody of her son?  Hasn’t she been staying for weeks with Gary at Delilah’s, and Gary is supposedly just now meeting him?  Also, let’s not forget that when the two of them first met, it was at an arcade or something where Theo and her son were playing together.  Now there is COVID, so how is she picking her son up from school?  I’m confused.  

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Fable said:

Does Darcy not have custody of her son?  Hasn’t she been staying for weeks with Gary at Delilah’s, and Gary is supposedly just now meeting him?  Also, let’s not forget that when the two of them first met, it was at an arcade or something where Theo and her son were playing together.  Now there is COVID, so how is she picking her son up from school?  I’m confused.  

I vaguely remember her saying something about him staying with his dad? Maybe?

4 hours ago, Fable said:

Darcy and her ex seem to share custody. She mentioned early on she didn't want to introduce him to Gary yet, and so she was only staying with Gary when the son was with the ex.

Regarding COVID, I guess the schools aren't shut down yet? We saw Dakota recording her album, which wouldn't have happened during lockdown either. Seems a bit contradictory with Rome's movie getting shut down and Regina not being able to have customers inside though. But I don't remember the exact details of when things closed.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

😳😳😳

I think you secretly adore Theo... you remember everything he was doing! 
🤣🤣🤣

No... but I may have been a kid who would read while doing other things... 😉 

I may also be an adult who routinely reads while brushing my teeth before bed....

• Love 2