Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E17: Misfit Foods; Chill Systems; Tandem Boogie; Totes Babies

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Sharks: Mark, Daniel Lubetzky, Kevin, Lori, Robert

Meats that are half meat, half vegetables; Tripod drink coolers made with sustainable materials; A body board that can fit two people; A car seat carrier for your babies to carry them in a shopping cart 

Misfit Foods-(half chicken/half veggie sausages)-Crowded market segment, but if anyone can move this product, Daniel and Mark will.

Chill Systems-(freeze it, and pop three cans in it when you travel)-It only holds 3 cans, so everyone at a picnic will need one?   No deal, Kevin should take this out behind the barn and shoot it.

Tamdem Boogie-(Boogie board/mat for two)-$459  each depending on how big it is.    Daniel and Robert make the deal.

(Apparently I wasn't paying attention, it was $459, and Kevin said the competition sells for $59 to $79. So why did Daniel and Robert invest in this?   I'm guessing this deal is a prime candidate to crash and burn, which does happen a lot.  Thanks to another poster who was watching the show, and wasn't paying attention) 

Totes Babies-(Car seat carrier for shopping carts)-Sounds like an interesting idea, but is it safe?   And is it fool proof?   Deal with Lori. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Misfit foods sounds way too much like Ugly Foods.  I would try it, depending on the nutritional and price, there are a lot of alternatives out there.  

Have no interest whatsoever in any of the other products.

In regard to the baby product, what do you do with the baby while you are setting up the holder thing? I think you would have to either do it one handed or put the baby down and that wouldn’t work for me. The cooler thing was boring, too many coolers out there and not everyone buys bags of ice, we use the ice from the freezer. 

• Love 5

I will make the obvious comment; tandem boogie sounds like a euphemism for sex 😁. Which could be very good for their merchandise sales. I am more intrigued by the possibilities of an inflatable scuba board, they should bring out a single person version too. Went to the Misfit website just to see the flavors and their site is very annoying, to me. Too much empty space and scrolling.

Yeah, the cooler was silly. Maybe it's not a customized shape but you can get a Packit freezable lunch bag that can hold 3 or 4 cans of beer. Or bottles. Just throw it in the freezer and it stays cool for hours. I've used it to keep cold water in the car during 106 degree summer days. Also folds up nicely when not in use.

I see lots of babies in carriers that clamp to the seat/front part of a shopping cart so I don't know how many people would want those straps.

• Love 2

how  do those guys with the water cooler pay their bills? They don't work. There is  nothing wrong with ice chests. If you don't  use ice use freezer packs in the chest

• Love 1

The sausages are nothing earth shattering. Can’t stand these people that seem to think of some marketing ploy to overstate their product.

“But it’s half veggies and half meat!”.

Lets be real..it’s a sausage with some kale or whatever throw in. Something that is all over stores. Trader Joe’s has had chicken sausages in all types for years.

• Love 6

How long has it been since we heard Kevin use the Siren story? Classic Mr. Wonderful. 

I had to stop and restart the episode so many times. I don’t know if it was just a little dull, or if my attention span is done for the week.

I was happy Mark and Daniel pointed out what I was thinking: some of those flavor/combinations were just too much for the sake of looking special/different. I looked on the Misfit website to see if there were any flavors I might consider. The sweet potato/chicken seems okay, but it’s not something I’d buy to try unless it was at a local grocery store. 

Yikes to the cooler product and presentation. 

The family seemed to have a good product, and I’m glad they got a deal. They were a little corny, but the Sharks eat that stuff up. 

Like others upthread, I didn’t see anything special or easier with the car seat in the buggy, but I don’t have kids. Maybe I’m missing something. (I’ve also not been in a grocery store in literally a year now. Again, maybe I’m missing something.)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, lorj said:

how  do those guys with the water cooler pay their bills? They don't work. There is  nothing wrong with ice chests. If you don't  use ice use freezer packs in the chest

Same. I have no idea how these people survive financially.

On 3/12/2021 at 9:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tamdem Boogie-(Boogie board/mat for two)-$59 to $79 each depending on how big it is.    Daniel and Robert make the deal. 

Actually, the price was $459...the cheaper price was what Kevin was mentioning that the competition is.

• Useful 1

The Sharks were really savage toward the cooler guys. It seemed like one of them was on the verge of tears

I didn’t really like the sausage combo thing especially if it’s all chicken sausage. I barely paid attention to the boogie board and baby seat ones

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Actually, the price was $459...the cheaper price was what Kevin was mentioning that the competition is.

I fixed my post.   Thanks, I totally missed it.   So now I'm wondering why anyone would invest in this. 

The baby cart device seemed like a nightmare if it's not installed correctly.    And as someone else on here asked, what do you do with the baby while you're hooking the harness up?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

3 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I fixed my post.   Thanks, I totally missed it.   So now I'm wondering why anyone would invest in this.

I thought they said that it’s more comparable to a surf board and is at the lower price point for that market? I don’t remember them mentioning the price of regular boogie boards.

Tandem Boogie seems to be doing well already.

Friday was a special day not just because they made their world-wide debut, it’s also the same day the final paperwork for the deal with the shark investors closed.

“They don’t all close and most of them don’t close by the air date,” Manya said.

They also timed a rebranding to coincide with the show.

They formed a new company called Tandm Inc. that will serve as the umbrella for a range of products they hope to release, including Tandm Snow or Tandm Skate, with Tandem Boogie now called Tandm Surf to include other types of inflatable water boards such as more traditional surfboard shapes.

They also are working on a Tandm app to get two people together to do adventurous activities together, which will launch by summer.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

Has there ever been an episode where no one got a deal?  If so, I wonder if the sharks are told to be sure that never happens. 

I remember one from many, many seasons ago. Sorry, I'm not interested enough to look up which one it was.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Popservatory said:

I was happy Mark and Daniel pointed out what I was thinking: some of those flavor/combinations were just too much for the sake of looking special/different. I looked on the Misfit website to see if there were any flavors I might consider. The sweet potato/chicken seems okay, but it’s not something I’d buy to try unless it was at a local grocery store. 

I'm glad they pointed that out.   Being a flexitarian isn't a new concept and some want to have mixes just so they can stand out.  What's the product of just selling something simple before introducing more ideas?  

That baby contraption LOOKS like a problem that needed solving, but I found it too complicated watching their set up.

On 3/12/2021 at 6:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Chill Systems-(freeze it, and pop three cans in it when you travel)-It only holds 3 cans, so everyone at a picnic will need one?   No deal, Kevin should take this out behind the barn and shoot it.

I agree the fact it only holds three cans is bad.  Yes, they said you just put in a new can to cool when you take one out, but that means you have to still take something like a cooler to carry the spares in.  Get some good gel packs, that solves the dealing with ice issue, and use a regular cooler.

• Love 3
On 3/13/2021 at 12:17 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

I see lots of babies in carriers that clamp to the seat/front part of a shopping cart so I don't know how many people would want those straps.

I had my first baby in 1999 - which is olden-times in terms of baby products and I had the baby car seat that snaps in and out of the stroller and the base that you strapped down into your car and left there.

Guess what else you did?  You opened the front part of the shopping cart - where you can seat a child or keep the egg carton safe and you would snap on the car seat on the metal parts.  The baby was facing you (unlike this dumb strappy thing) and I didn't have to put the car set on the floor to set it up first.  I was gobsmacked that nobody seemed to realize that the car seats already can do this all by themselves - unless I had a magical car seat back then?  I highly doubt it - it was a decent brand, but certainly not a Cadillac in the day.  Why does anybody need to buy this dumb strappy thing?  And I agree with the others - what if it fails and the baby falls (God forbid)?

That cooler thing was dumb.  Three drinks - as someone else mentioned, they sell soft lunch-box type things that hold a six-pack.

The sausages - meh - the type of thing I might try to buy at the store, but wouldn't go out of my way to get.  Price seemed reasonable - which is a change on this show.

Boogie board - very expensive, but at least the whole thing (including the pump) comes packaged together, which might save it.  Not something that I'm interested in anyway.

Show was kind of a dud 😞

• Love 5
23 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Has there ever been an episode where no one got a deal?  If so, I wonder if the sharks are told to be sure that never happens. 

There were some episodes where there was only one deal.    I do recall at least one in the early seasons where there were no deals.  Also, I'm sure you've heard that they may make the deal on the show, but then look at everything financial, to confirm the statistics the seller talked about, and many deals fail at that point.    

• Love 1
On 3/14/2021 at 9:33 AM, dogdays2 said:

They film a ton of footage over a few days and then edit it into four segments for multiple shows. So the editors/producers can make sure there aren't any shows with no deals if they don't like that idea.

• Love 3
On 3/13/2021 at 1:45 PM, lorj said:

I am guessing either the saved a lot of money while working at Apple/Google or their parents are helping them out. They seemed to be only a few years out of school.

The inflatable boogie board, would be concerned it will get a hole in it quickly.  Multiple air mattresses over the years that's always the problem.  They leak.  And that's just laying on them on land.  I'd rather it not be inflatable.  Plus it seems very expensive.  They say it's the price of a low end surf board,......but it's not a surf board, so what the point of that comparison?    

• Love 1
On 3/15/2021 at 10:52 AM, Shellie said:

They film a ton of footage over a few days and then edit it into four segments for multiple shows. So the editors/producers can make sure there aren't any shows with no deals if they don't like that idea.

That may be how they are filming now. However, the particular episode I remember Lori commented something to the effect of , "That's the first time we've had an entire show where no one got a deal," so in the past the filming may have been divided into specific shows. Maybe the producers changed the format so that couldn't happen again.

Still, I wish they'd make better selections about the products that are being pitched.  We just keep seeing different versions of the same stuff over and over again. We've now seen coolers two episodes in a row and neither of them got deals. Just accept that the market is over-saturated with coolers, and we don't need to see any more of them and move on to something else. 

Edited by eel21788
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/15/2021 at 12:52 PM, Shellie said:

I realize "magic of TV" and all that, but wouldn't the editing scheme you describe result in Sharks appearing in different wardrobe from one segment to the next, or Sharks in the same wardrobe from one week to the next?

20 minutes ago, SG429 said:

I realize "magic of TV" and all that, but wouldn't the editing scheme you describe result in Sharks appearing in different wardrobe from one segment to the next, or Sharks in the same wardrobe from one week to the next?

The show airs once a week, but I’ll bet they film more than one episode a day and film multiple days in a row.  A couple of similar examples... Jeopardy films 5 episodes Tuesday and 5 on Wednesday.  And I think it is the Voice where the coaches wear the same outfit every day of auditions so the content of episodes can be edited for maximum drama.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

The show airs once a week, but I’ll bet they film more than one episode a day and film multiple days in a row.  A couple of similar examples... Jeopardy films 5 episodes Tuesday and 5 on Wednesday.  And I think it is the Voice where the coaches wear the same outfit every day of auditions so the content of episodes can be edited for maximum drama.  

Of course, but Alex RIP changed wardrobe for each ep. Sharks are very busy, so they always knock out a season in a short period of time, quarantine or not. I just don't think the segments we see in any particular week are pooled from all available segments as the OP suggested. As I said that would present continuity problems with wardrobe, and clearly Sharks are in the same clothes for the full hour, and different clothes the next week. They may shoot more segments for an episode than they actually use, but the leftovers won't be held over for another episode. A clip show of pitches than never made it to air might be entertaining, though.

5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The inflatable boogie board, would be concerned it will get a hole in it quickly.  Multiple air mattresses over the years that's always the problem.  They leak.  And that's just laying on them on land.  I'd rather it not be inflatable.  Plus it seems very expensive.  They say it's the price of a low end surf board,......but it's not a surf board, so what the point of that comparison?    

Actually based on the price point and from the looks of it, the material is extremely durable - looked like Hypalon . which is what they make whitewater rafts from. Inflatable stand up paddleboards use the same materials and I know people that use them heavily w/no issues with holes whatsoever. The price is fair for what you are getting. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, SG429 said:

35 "Shark Tank" Secrets That Will Fuck You Up A Little

9. The shooting schedule is jam-packed to finish as quickly as possible. An entire season can be shot in just 17 days, with the Sharks seeing six-to-eight pitches per day.

10. Since every episode of Shark Tank is compiled of segments filmed on different days, the Sharks have to wear the same exact clothes for days at a time to avoid continuity issues.

If you want the whole article:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buzzfeedbot/comments/7r3jpf/35_shark_tank_secrets_that_will_fuck_you_up_a/

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 3/16/2021 at 7:27 PM, eel21788 said:

35 "Shark Tank" Secrets That Will Fuck You Up A Little

9. The shooting schedule is jam-packed to finish as quickly as possible. An entire season can be shot in just 17 days, with the Sharks seeing six-to-eight pitches per day.

10. Since every episode of Shark Tank is compiled of segments filmed on different days, the Sharks have to wear the same exact clothes for days at a time to avoid continuity issues.

If you want the whole article:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buzzfeedbot/comments/7r3jpf/35_shark_tank_secrets_that_will_fuck_you_up_a/

This is essentially what I remember Robert saying in a book I read.  One thing I found fascinating was his comment that he can easily tell which segments were at the beginning of the filming and which are toward the end. Because at the beginning, everyone is delighted to see each other and be back in the Shark Tank. By the end, they are all tired and crabby. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/13/2021 at 4:02 PM, jabRI said:

I always see car seats in grocery carts, I don't get the issue?  And the cooler guys were just ridiculous.  

Add me to the list of people here who have pointed out that Car Seats already lock onto shopping carts.  

Having said that, baby safety stuff always sells.  You just need to market it as "But this is safer than that!"