Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

Ghislaine Maxwell's trial strategy seems to be gaslight the jury:

According to a letter from Maxwell's lawyers made public on Monday, a former president of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law would testify that Maxwell's alleged effort to win her accusers' trust did not automatically reflect an intent they be abused. 

The letter said the former president, Park Dietz, would testify that the suggestion Maxwell committed "grooming-by-proxy" - by recruiting underage girls to give sexualized massages to Epstein - had no support in the scientific community. 

It also said Elizabeth Loftus, a psychologist specializing in memory issues, would testify about "false memories" of sexual abuses that people could describe on the witness stand with "confidence, detail, and emotion," without deliberately lying. 

• Useful 4

You are bringing in under age girls KNOWING your "boyfriend" will have sex with them.   Call it "grooming by proxy" or just being a horrible human being, it comes to the same thing in the end.  

As for false memories, good luck with that one.   Maaaaaaaaybe, Giuffre mixed up some dates/places where the abuse took place.   But too many OTHER woman tell the same story.   There is too much independent corroboration that this stuff took place to not be true.   Plus, all the LIES by Epstein, Maxwell and Prince Andrew goes to THEIR credibility which makes it more likely that Giuffre is telling the truth, not them.   Also, IF Maxwell didn't groom her, she is making up stories, why did Maxwell go into hiding and use a false name?  Not saying she should have turned in herself in to "clear her name."   But her asking rich friends to hide her does not smack of the actions of an innocent person.

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Jury selection begins today in Ghislaine Maxwell trial.

Interesting.

Now, where will they find 12 U.S. Citizens who had not heard of the allegations against Miss Maxwell and/or formed opinions about said allegations AND who will be able to objectively evaluate the prosecution's and defense's evidence and testimony to render a just verdict?

Truly, the LAST thing that needs to happen after all that's happened would be a mistrial. 

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Interesting.

Now, where will they find 12 U.S. Citizens who had not heard of the allegations against Miss Maxwell and/or formed opinions about said allegations AND who will be able to objectively evaluate the prosecution's and defense's evidence and testimony to render a just verdict?

Truly, the LAST thing that needs to happen after all that's happened would be a mistrial. 

It won't be that hard because of publicity. It might be hard because of the famous people involved.

Siiiiiigh. Prominent Broadway costume designer accused of sexual abuse.

Court Watson recalls hearing once that William Ivey Long was "a tornado made of chiffon." How lucky was he, Watson thought, as just a college student, to have the chance to learn from the very best in the business — a true legend in Broadway costume design....But Watson and another man named Michael Martin say that while they were under Long's tutelage — working as college students at a summer production in North Carolina called The Lost Colony, a show with an outsize influence within the American theater community — Long sexually abused them both.

Additionally, NPR has unearthed a 2002 lawsuit and related materials against The Lost Colony, filed by a former employee, that includes several other serious allegations of sexual misconduct against Long. Some of those accusations have impacted Long's most recent work: He and the Diana team parted ways last year, not long before the musical was filmed.

On 11/7/2021 at 10:14 AM, Blergh said:

I wonder if it's possible if Natalie Wood may have told her sister Lana to wait until BOTH she and Mr. Douglas had died to tell the world what she [the younger Miss Wood] seems to have observed.

For what it's worth, I believe that. In the 2001 biography Natasha, Lana basically said she was going to wait until the rapist died before she revealed him.

• Useful 3
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

For what it's worth, I believe that. In the 2001 biography Natasha, Lana basically said she was going to wait until the rapist died before she revealed him.

If Natalie specifically wanted Lana to make the reveal after the rapist died, why wouldn't Lana simply come out and say that is what happened?  She has no problem telling the whole world every other detail of her sister's life.  I think Lana may have decided not to out the rapist while he was alive simply to avoid civil litigation from KD for defamation.  

I haven't read the book, but I thought Lana tells the story in terms of what she observed as an 8 year old who was with her mother waiting in the car while Natalie went to KD's hotel room.  Does Lana claim that she and Natalie had any sort of conversation about the incident as adults?  Surely Natalie didn't talk to her about it when she was a little kid.

I suspect Natalie said no such thing to Lana, and, if she came out and claimed she had; the wrath of the Wagners would've been upon her.  From their lack of comment on what has been made public so far, it looks to me like Robert and their daughters are not at all interested in helping Lana publicize the story or her book.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Eliza Dushku testified about the on set harassment on Bull.

She is part of an effort to change NDA clauses and victim silencing in employment contracts. 

Michael Weatherly sounds like such a sleazy, disgusting asshole. Unfortunately, I don't think she helps her case when she says that she didn't know her contract contained an arbitration clause, nor that in all the contracts she ever signed she never realized this clauses were present. I assume she has an agent, business manager, or lawyer who looks out on her behalf, but wouldn't you read the contract anyway?

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I don't know if it was to this extent, but the William Ivey Long stuff was publicized a while ago. There were all these rumblings that Broadway was going to have its own metoo reckoning and even journalists encouraging people to contact them... and then... nothing.

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Does Lana claim that she and Natalie had any sort of conversation about the incident as adults?

I haven’t read the book either but based on excerpts she does. She said that she didn’t understand what happened at the time and Natalie told her what happened once they were both adults. 

On 11/7/2021 at 7:14 AM, Blergh said:

I wonder if it's possible if Natalie Wood may have told her sister Lana to wait until BOTH she and Mr. Douglas had died to tell the world what she [the younger Miss Wood] seems to have observed. Of course, since Miss Wood was much younger than Mr. Douglas and no one could have predicted her tragic end (nor Mr. Douglas's longevity), it's possible she may have believed the knowledge would have come to light earlier.

Based on what Lana has said the answer to that is no. She says that she promised Natalie she wouldn’t say anything. 

Wood said she doesn’t regret coming forward with her bombshell claim. She said enough has happened since her conversation with Natalie decades ago. Wood felt ready to share her story and she believed Natalie would have supported her.

The phrasing is telling. “She felt ready” to share. Natalie is secondary. 

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I haven’t read the book either but based on excerpts she does. She said that she didn’t understand what happened at the time and Natalie told her what happened once they were both adults. 

Based on what Lana has said the answer to that is no. She says that she promised Natalie she wouldn’t say anything. 

The phrasing is telling. “She felt ready” to share. Natalie is secondary. 

She felt ready because Douglas could no longer sue.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, bobalina said:

She felt ready because Douglas could no longer sue.

I think that sums it up quite well.  From what others are saying here, it appears the decision to make this public was all Lana's and that Natalie never expected that she would tell the story.  Lana waited until Kirk Douglas died, not because Natalie requested it, but because a dead celebrity cannot sue for libel and Lana had a book to sell.  I presume she was contacting publishers the minute KD's death was announced.

Once again, I believe that Natalie was raped as a teen and I believe that her assailant was probably Kirk Douglas; but this is not Lana's story to tell and her motives for telling it at this moment in time are all about her and her continued need to cash in on her sister's memory.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

I think that sums it up quite well.  From what others are saying here, it appears the decision to make this public was all Lana's and that Natalie never expected that she would tell the story.  Lana waited until Kirk Douglas died, not because Natalie requested it, but because a dead celebrity cannot sue for libel and Lana had a book to sell.  I presume she was contacting publishers the minute KD's death was announced.

Once again, I believe that Natalie was raped as a teen and I believe that her assailant was probably Kirk Douglas; but this is not Lana's story to tell and her motives for telling it at this moment in time are all about her and her continued need to cash in on her sister's memory.

Agree. I think this is sadly probably true, but Natalie's privacy should have been respected. 

• Love 2

In a family where one daughter was raped, and the parents did nothing about it, I am guessing that the sister has a story of her own that she is not telling. She may feel that no one cares about her story, but she can tell Natalie's and that will be heard.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I admit that I don't know a lot about this case. I am not that knowledgeable about old Hollywood and its stars, all I know is that it was apparently an open secret that Natalie Wood was raped as a teenager and that there was speculation that it was Kirk Douglas. I even thought that the part about Douglas was taken as a fact, because I think I read that on this forum even before he died and then again when he died. 

I understand about wanting to respect Natalie's wishes if she indeed didn't want to reveal the name of her rapist, but there is also the factor that she died a long time ago, well before the Me Too movement and that could factor a lot into it. A lot has changed since then about how women who accuse powerful men of sexual assault are treated by media and public. Not nearly enough, but still a lot. We can only guess what she might have thought about it now, it's a completely different environment, Maybe she would feel safer about coming out with it. Maybe not. Some who are more familiar with her can maybe make a better guess than me, but we will never know for sure. Still, she is dead and cannot be hurt further (or helped, to be honest), I would say that revealing the truth  probably has more positives than negatives. YMMV.

• Love 13

My take on the whole Kirk Douglas thing is, it is all well and good to know now, and maybe, just maybe telling the story now will help someone else, but keeping it quiet back then, and while KD was still alive, only allowed him to continue to prey on other women.

That said, I get why Natalie wouldn't have wanted to say anything at the time, it was a different time, but I actually thought we already knew this, so IDK why Lana has announced it in her book like it's news because, quite frankly, her saying his name doesn't make it any truer than all the other second hand rumors. 

That is why it feels less like "poor Lana can't keep this quiet any longer because it's been tormenting her all these years" and more like "poor Lana ran out of other ways to profit from her famous sister so it's time to drag out this dead horse now that there is no one left to challenge it". 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

I understand about wanting to respect Natalie's wishes if she indeed didn't want to reveal the name of her rapist, but there is also the factor that she died a long time ago, well before the Me Too movement and that could factor a lot into it. A lot has changed since then about how women who accuse powerful men of sexual assault are treated by media and public. Not nearly enough, but still a lot. We can only guess what she might have thought about it now, it's a completely different environment, Maybe she would feel safer about coming out with it. Maybe not. Some who are more familiar with her can maybe make a better guess than me, but we will never know for sure. Still, she is dead and cannot be hurt further (or helped, to be honest), I would say that revealing the truth  probably has more positives than negatives. YMMV.

100% of my problem is that it is her sister specifically given her specific background and the fact that she is profiting off of it. 

There are dozens of scenarios where I would support this coming out. This is the one where I have an issue with it and feel like it is another instance of a member of Natalie’s family using her memory for their own gain against her wishes and to the detriment of her children. 

1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

I admit that I don't know a lot about this case. I am not that knowledgeable about old Hollywood and its stars, all I know is that it was apparently an open secret that Natalie Wood was raped as a teenager and that there was speculation that it was Kirk Douglas. I even thought that the part about Douglas was taken as a fact, because I think I read that on this forum even before he died and then again when he died. 

It was pretty well taken as fact because of Lana and how she has handled the media. Through her own books and a biographer she worked with literally every detail except his name was released. She held out the name as one more carrot (and probably for legal reasons) to sell another book rehashing Natalie’s life once again. 

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

In a family where one daughter was raped, and the parents did nothing about it, I am guessing that the sister has a story of her own that she is not telling. She may feel that no one cares about her story, but she can tell Natalie's and that will be heard.

In those days the parents wouldn't have wanted to ruin their daughters reputation  and her life. She would have been dragged through the mud publicly, no matter who she was.

• Love 1

This idea that people shouldn't profit from calling a rapist rapist bothers me. Why does Lana have to be perfect?? Kirk Douglas was wheeled up on the stage at award ceremonies and given a standing ovation. Someone needs to come out publicly,  definitely, clearly and point in those peoples' faces and say "this man was a rapist." And I don't care if that person makes money off of that. Victims don't have to be perfect. Victims don't have to be poor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
11 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

My take on the whole Kirk Douglas thing is, it is all well and good to know now, and maybe, just maybe telling the story now will help someone else, but keeping it quiet back then, and while KD was still alive, only allowed him to continue to prey on other women.

That said, I get why Natalie wouldn't have wanted to say anything at the time, it was a different time, but I actually thought we already knew this, so IDK why Lana has announced it in her book like it's news because, quite frankly, her saying his name doesn't make it any truer than all the other second hand rumors. 

That is why it feels less like "poor Lana can't keep this quiet any longer because it's been tormenting her all these years" and more like "poor Lana ran out of other ways to profit from her famous sister so it's time to drag out this dead horse now that there is no one left to challenge it". 

Yes, the story has been around for years and multiple people who knew Natalie when she was alive have said she told them about what happened, so I think it is a pretty sure thing that Natalie was raped and that her mother essentially served as her pimp.  I believe that the particular circumstances she described made it likely that it was Kirk Douglas who was her assailant and that is why there was a lot of speculation about her attacker's identity in Hollywood and why a lot of us have heard the story before.

The difference now is that Lana is on record claiming to have received the full story from Natalie including the name of the rapist.  She's the first person to verify the story who has said she got the information directly from Natalie.

I understand that times have changed.  As far as Natalie going public years ago and stopping Kirk Douglas from assaulting anyone else (if he did, which is certainly possible); that is not how things worked back in the day.  More likely the cops would've 'investigated' decide that there wasn't enough evidence and KD would've been lionized for overcoming the terrible allegations while Natalie would've been branded a troublemaker and wouldn't have been able to find work.  Because that is how things went back in the day.  Natalie died in 1981.   Bill Cosby was still assaulting women without consequence 20 years later.  Roman Polanski had raped a 13 year old and fled rather than go to prison in 1978, just 3 years before Natalie's death.  Had Natalie come forth even later in her life, I don't think it would've led to any consequences for KD and, very likely, Natalie would've been scorned for bringing up ancient history, or that she was unreliable, mentally ill, a substance abuser or whatever else to try to make the public believe she was not telling the truth.

In addition, Natalie left behind a husband and daughters.  Her kids were still pretty young when she died, so I doubt she'd shared the story with them, but I would expect that Robert Wagner knew and, as the person closest to her, should've been the one to decide what Natalie would've wanted 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Weren’t there stories that Clark Gable date-raped Loretta Young (I think their daughter was the one who said it)? As I recall, Loretta wasn’t even aware that that’s what had happened. Back then, they just called it a “bad date.” Natalie grew up in a Hollywood where “don’t cause trouble” was the mantra. It could literally destroy your career if you made waves. I’m not the least bit surprised Natalie didn’t say anything and didn’t want it said.

I do question Lana’s motives because sponging off her sister and/or her sister’s memory has been her lifelong career. But since this was pretty much one of the worst-kept secrets in Hollywood, it’s not shocking and, instead, strikes me as kind of pathetic and desperate. Honestly, I’m reminded of my friend’s mother’s response when he came out to her: “And…?”

What happened to Natalie was awful — then and at other times during her life. She was used, exploited, you name it. And she sounds like she was a good, kind person. I couldn’t care less about Kirk Douglas or his memory. I guess I don’t have issue with it being publicly stated. Just that it’s yet another chance for Natalie to be exploited.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

This idea that people shouldn't profit from calling a rapist rapist bothers me. Why does Lana have to be perfect?? Kirk Douglas was wheeled up on the stage at award ceremonies and given a standing ovation. Someone needs to come out publicly,  definitely, clearly and point in those peoples' faces and say "this man was a rapist." And I don't care if that person makes money off of that. Victims don't have to be perfect. Victims don't have to be poor.

What good comes in this case? Douglas is certainly not going to be raping anyone else. He can't be confronted. The only point to this revelation is money for Lana. Her own niece says she's a bottomless pit of greed.

• Love 3

I guess the bottom line here is what's worse: someone allegedly raping a minor or the then- minor's sibling making that claim after both the then-minor's and alleged assaulter's deaths?

Personally, I think the former is worse- even factoring the sibling possibly profiting from said claim.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Weren’t there stories that Clark Gable date-raped Loretta Young (I think their daughter was the one who said it)? As I recall, Loretta wasn’t even aware that that’s what had happened.

I have a hard time believing anything Loretta said about her daughter, or anything to do with her conception.     Loretta never told her daughter who her father was, until the daughter found out from people telling her, and her mother still denied it for years.     Loretta actually had her daughter in a home birth, and then sent her to an orphanage, and faked adopting her own child.   Loretta was also supposed to be having an affair with Gable during the filming, where her pregnancy resulted.  She would say or do anything to cover up the truth.     My view is, Young had an affair with Gable, and refused to admit that.   

This article from 2015 discusses the entire issue of Gable and Young, and sadly, their daughter who died of cancer. 

https://nypost.com/2015/07/13/well-never-really-know-if-clark-gable-actually-date-raped-loretta-young/

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

while Natalie would've been branded a troublemaker and wouldn't have been able to find work.  Because that is how things went back in the day.

That was/is still happening.  Harvey Weinstein did that to so many women.

2 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Just that it’s yet another chance for Natalie to be exploited.

That is how I see it.  If it was already widely known why publicize it now?  I'm going to save my outrage for the still living predators.   Woody Allen and Roman Polanski to name just two.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

That was/is still happening.  Harvey Weinstein did that to so many women.

That is how I see it.  If it was already widely known why publicize it now?  I'm going to save my outrage for the still living predators.   Woody Allen and Roman Polanski to name just two.

I hav enough outrage for both. I outrage to spare at the people who give rapists a standing ovation. I have a bottomless well of outrage to throw at rapists, rape apologists, rape minimizers and those who celebrate rapists. 

1 hour ago, bobalina said:

What good comes in this case? Douglas is certainly not going to be raping anyone else. He can't be confronted. The only point to this revelation is money for Lana. Her own niece says she's a bottomless pit of greed.

There is always value in making rapist seen as rapists. 

• Love 19
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

I guess the bottom line here is what's worse: someone allegedly raping a minor or the then- minor's sibling making that claim after both the then-minor's and alleged assaulter's deaths?

Kirk Douglas being a rapist doesn't mean Lana isn't a shit person who would rather exploit her dead sister than earn her own living. They aren't in competition for the Shittiest Human award. Both can be crap people. Yeah, one is worse, but that doesn't mean we should just give Lana a pass for being a leech.

I feel for Natalie's children. Yes, they are adults, but this is still their mom's private business that she wanted to keep quiet being shared with the world so their aunt could make some cash. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
20 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Kirk Douglas being a rapist doesn't mean Lana isn't a shit person who would rather exploit her dead sister than earn her own living. They aren't in competition for the Shittiest Human award. Both can be crap people. Yeah, one is worse, but that doesn't mean we should just give Lana a pass for being a leech.

I feel for Natalie's children. Yes, they are adults, but this is still their mom's private business that she wanted to keep quiet being shared with the world so their aunt could make some cash. 

Exactly.  It is bad enough that Natalie was used and abused by her own family while she was alive; that her sister continues to do so decades after her death is inexcusable.

As far as who was 'worst'; it's not a contest.  Douglas was terrible, Lana is terrible.  It's like asking if you'd rather be stabbed with an 8 inch knife or a 4 inch knife.  Both are terrible.

• Love 14
15 hours ago, bobalina said:

And now Lana has moved e d on to accusing Robert Wagner of murder. Again. Honestly the LAPD has investigated 3 separate times and found nothing.

Not getting the kind of attention and money she expected from the big (not at all shocking) rapist reveal? So she's going back to the old murder well...again. This woman must be infuriating to be related to. 

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Not getting the kind of attention and money she expected from the big (not at all shocking) rapist reveal? So she's going back to the old murder well...again. This woman must be infuriating to be related to. 

I’m sure she is however she never stopped focusing on Wagner. The title of the new book is, Little Sister: My Investigation Into the Mysterious Death of Natalie Wood. The Douglas reveal was just a brief detour to increase pre-orders. 

On 11/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, Dani said:

I’m sure she is however she never stopped focusing on Wagner. The title of the new book is, Little Sister: My Investigation Into the Mysterious Death of Natalie Wood. The Douglas reveal was just a brief detour to increase pre-orders. 

The one good thing about Lana Wood's reveal of who was involved in the assault on her sister, is that at least that should stop the stories about other stars of that era that people accused.   Other men have been mentioned who weren't involved, but articles claiming they were are out there.    I've read articles through the years speculating on who assaulted her sister, with other names.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4

Once the jury was selected there were some issues.   One juror was surprised by their wife with a surprise trip between Christmas and New Year's.   When the court is supposed to be in session (no courts do not take the week between Christmas and New year's off.   We get the Friday before each off and that's it this year).   Another juror pointed out it would be a financial hardship because their employer won't pay them and the stipend is not enough (YA THINK?).   The judge called the employer personally.   The supervisor is trying to get extended paid leave.   Because when a judge says "EXCUSE ME?"   You straighten up and fly right.

Opening statements today.   We get to witnesses tomorrow.   THEN it gets good.   Nothing said today has any evidentiary meaning.   

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

"Maxwell, Epstein were 'partners in crime,' prosecutor says at start of sex trafficking trial"

Doesn't come off as downplaing her role to me.

They changed it. Initially the headline was just what @SusannahM posted, that Epstein’s girlfriend’s trial was starting.

Edited by Guest

The trial of Josh Duggar for downloading child porn also started today.

Bill Cosby's prosecutors ask Supreme Court to review overturned conviction.

They said the Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision in June to overturn Cosby’s conviction created a dangerous precedent by giving a press release the legal weight of an immunity agreement.

Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele called the court's decision “an indefensible rule," predicting an onslaught of criminal appeals if it remains law....

The only written evidence of such a promise is a 2005 press release from then-prosecutor Bruce Castor, who said he did not have enough evidence to arrest Cosby.

The release included an ambiguous “caution” that Castor “will reconsider this decision should the need arise.” The parties have since spent years debating what that meant....

Cosby himself has never testified about any agreement or promise. The only alleged participant to come forward is Castor, a political rival of Steele’s who went on to represent President Donald Trump in his second impeachment trial. Castor said he made the promise to a now-dead defense lawyer for Cosby, and got nothing in return.

He never mentioned it to his top assistant, who reopened the case in 2015 after a federal judge unsealed Cosby's deposition.

At a remarkable pretrial hearing in February 2016, Castor spent hours testifying for the defense. The judge found him not credible and sent the case to trial.

It's already had an effect; charges against a prison guard for sexual assault had to be dropped because because an earlier agreement with county prosecutors let him resign rather than face charges.

• Useful 5
8 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

It was a pretrial hearing today, actually, over what is admissable. The trial itself starts tomorrow with jury selection. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Bill Cosby's prosecutors ask Supreme Court to review overturned conviction.

It's already had an effect; charges against a prison guard for sexual assault had to be dropped because because an earlier agreement with county prosecutors let him resign rather than face charges.

Damn it proscutors! Stop messing up! Get your shit together and stop letting criminals get away with their crimes. Especially rapists. 

• Love 10