Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Displaced

• Start Topic

The 126 arrive at a funeral where another dead body has crashed the burial, and then to a hospital where an MRI has gone haywire. Owen and Tommy each feel displaced in their homes as Gwyn moves into the Strand household and Charles seemingly becomes the full-time parent in the Vegas'. Meanwhile, T.K. makes waves in his new position.

Airing Monday, March 1, 2021.

Well I certainly felt for Owen when he found out the baby wasn't his. He was really into being a dad again. That doesn't excuse breaking that beautiful Japanese bowl, though. Also, I don't see why Owen's espresso cups were "extra." I thought they were a tad too big for espresso but there was nothing wrong with the look of the cup, heh. 

I liked that they added Tim's name to the ambulance. It's a lovely way to honour his memory. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, dshgr said:

Hopefully, this is the last of Lisa Edelstein.

Agreed. I like her but did not enjoy her character at all. 

Nitpick: they don't usually move due dates after the initial u/s anymore. Or at least they didn't 4 years ago. Babies can measure different and both and the dating can vary 2 weeks either direction. Who cares as long as she's gone?

• Love 3

Two (incredibly shallow) remarks ahead:

1. Those were some very tight boxers T.K. was wearing. 

2. Gina Torres is absolutely gorgeous. I cannot believe she is 51.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, auchic said:

I said, Why am I looking at Gina's butt cheeks??????

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

And Owen already told his co-workers about expecting 'his' new baby-awkward.

That has to have been the most unrealistic bunch of firefighter/EMT physiques ever (in the strip down scene). I don't care how fit they have to be, I bet in real life there would be a bunch of pot bellies, love handles, shorts with holes in them, and tattle-tale grey bras with one strap held up by a safety pin.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

Is this the exit strategy for Lisa Edelstein?  I hope so.  I saw the blurb for this episode on Tvline: 

Gwyn moves into the Strand household; T.K. makes waves in his new position; Charles takes on full-time parenting duties

.And I was like, "who the hell is Gwyn?  Who the hell is Charles?'  LOL.  I legit never registered her name was Gwyn.  She was just always Lisa Edelstein.

I do admit the revelation that it might not be Owen's was the most interesting this entire baby storyline has ever been for me.  But it kinda squicks me that she apparently had unprotected sex with both those men in such a short interval.

I feel like the show is tormenting us with refusing to show any Grace/Judd interaction at all.  They haven't had a scene together since the episode with her dad's infidelity.  I am much more invested in Judd/Grace's domestic drama than I am in Owen/Gwyn. 

I like seeing more of Nancy (again did not even know her name til this episode) and am liking getting more scenes of the paramedics together.  I think moving TK over there was a good move for the show.

And finally, I enjoyed the scene where everybody did a rundown of the various pieces of metal in their bodies.  LOL.  But did we get any other rescues beside the MRI/magnet ones?

• Love 7

Well I guess that is certainly one way to end this baby plot. I guess its less depressing then them losing the baby, but I feel really bad for Owen. He was really excited to have this kid and now it seems like his ex wants to go back to her more recent ex who is also her baby daddy. Don't take it out on the poor beautiful bowl though. I am not that interested in Gwyn, so while I feel bad for Owen I am fine with her heading back to New York. 

I like Nancy and exploring the paramedics more this season, TK moving over there could be interesting even if I still don't totally get it. Them putting Tim's name on the ambulance was a very sweet gesture. Poor Tim, died just as he was about to actually become a character. He has gotten way more characterization alive than dead. 

The magnets were the most memorable rescue of the week, and everyone listing off the metal in their bodies was funny, even if I am not sure if that is how that would actually work. The body crashing into the funeral started off as wacky but took a sad turn, the poor guy and his sister. The rescues took a bit of a backseat to the personal stuff this week. 

• Love 7

I think TK was way out of line.  You don't reorganize the back of the ambo on your own, everyone working it has to know exactly where everything is before they go out on a call.  What if he was driving and someone was looking for something critical?

• Love 11
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I like seeing more of Nancy (again did not even know her name til this episode)

I do not like her character thus far. Dear Show: I will give you one more episode to make this character at least a tiny bit fun.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, anna0852 said:

This show is total soap and I'm down with it. Monday night brain candy is exactly what I need after 12 months of pandemic. 

I am so here for it, too.  Baby daddy drama?  You bet!  MRI hijinks?  Bring it on.  There's no ridiculous place these 911 shows won't go and they 100% have my support.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jabRI said:

I think TK was way out of line.  You don't reorganize the back of the ambo on your own, everyone working it has to know exactly where everything is before they go out on a call.  What if he was driving and someone was looking for something critical?

To be fair he did that with Captain Vega's blessing and permission. I'd pin it more on Vega for not bringing Nancy up to speed.

• Love 8

Them putting Tim's name on the ambulance was a very sweet gesture. Poor Tim, died just as he was about to actually become a character. He has gotten way more characterization alive than dead. 

Yeah, they are leaning way too hard on a character I didn't even realize was on the show until he bit it a few weeks ago. And his last name was "Rosewater"? WTF? And I had to look up the other EMT's name: Nancy. That's how minor these characters were, to me anyway. If they expected us to feel anything for her grief maybe they should have put a little more effort into fleshing out that relationship before killing one of them off.

• Love 4

If this is Gwyn's last episode, I'm okay with that. I actually like Lisa Edelstein but this story bored me immensely. The show seems to be wondering what to do with Owen. S1 gave us his lung cancer story which was bizarre on a lot of levels then S2 brought us this weird, truncated reunion except...not.

9 hours ago, GodsBeloved said:

I said, Why am I looking at Gina's butt cheeks??????

Because her butt cheeks were taking up prime real estate on your TV set.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, jabRI said:

I think it depends if he talked to Captain Vega about it first. It sounds like he discussed it with her and since she's the superior, it's not out of line. I do think someone should have informed Nancy about it as soon as it happened, though. The issue with Nancy is that the only scenes she's gotten are one where she's angry. It doesn't help that her scenes mostly have come AFTER the Tim dying episode, but still. I want her to get something more where she's happy, such as this last scene with the ambulance being dedicated to Tim. Also nice to finally get her name said a bunch of times so I can remember it.

I'm glad that the baby plot was done because it was only ending in two ways: mother or child die, or baby isn't Owen's so Owen doesn't get a happy ending either way. I just figured, with all the praise from Owen about Gwen and their baby, that she'd end up dying or something. It was a dumb plotline to explore, anyway, and it barely started so I couldn't care less if it's over now.

Weird cases and weird way to get several characters down to their underwear.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think it depends if he talked to Captain Vega about it first. It sounds like he discussed it with her and since she's the superior, it's not out of line. I do think someone should have informed Nancy about it as soon as it happened, though.

I was just thinking since they both work the ambulance, it should have been more of a collaboration than the (here anyway) new guy coming in and 'fixing' things.

• Love 2

I had an MRI and there was definitely no immediate access door. You had to get buzzed into the reception area, then screened extensively before going into the actual MRI room. There were locked doors at every juntion. They had to transfer me out of my regular wheelchair and into one that has no magnetic parts. They asked me about 17 times if I had any metal anywhere, including in the splint I was wearing on my hand (which was plastic and fabric only), checked my ears to make sure I wasn't wearing earrings even though I told them I wasn't, asked me over and over again if I had any piercings anywhere on my body that they couldn't see with my clothes on, it took forever! We talked about every surgery I'd ever had, the "no metal screening conversation" took longer than the actual MRI, or at least it seemed like it did!

But the MRI story this week was still fun. You have to watch this show with a tolerance for the absurd.

--

Maybe they could do with Owen what the other first responder shows do with the captains: have them on the job, and interacting with the team. I thought maybe the baby story would be about a medical complication and that would tie into the paramedic transfer for TK. I still don't see how TK being overwhelmed led to him becoming a paramedic because why would that be less overwhelming? But if it had him dealing iwth a medical emergency for his mother for some contrived reason, at least it would make plot-excuse sense. I'm fine with them developing the paramedic team more, and I liked his boyfriend pointing out the cool kid oblivion. But I don't think this show has a deficit of characters. It has a big cast and most of them aren't getting enough development as it is. SO I hope they stop adding more names to remember.

MORE GRACE, PLEASE!! 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think it depends if he talked to Captain Vega about it first. It sounds like he discussed it with her and since she's the superior, it's not out of line. I do think someone should have informed Nancy about it as soon as it happened, though. The issue with Nancy is that the only scenes she's gotten are one where she's angry. It doesn't help that her scenes mostly have come AFTER the Tim dying episode, but still. I want her to get something more where she's happy, such as this last scene with the ambulance being dedicated to Tim. Also nice to finally get her name said a bunch of times so I can remember it.

See, I think this is a failure of the writing because it makes Tommy look bad. 

They are paramedics who work in emergency situations.  They need to be able to quickly put their hands on medicines and equipment when it is needed.  If stuff has been a certain way for a long time, sometimes it is simple muscle memory when you go reaching for something.  It can cause a critical delay if you have to fumble around and find something.  No way a newbie like TK is gonna be able to come swan in and change stuff around because he read an article  and ran it by Tommy.  There are only the three of them in that team  For Tommy to make a decision that is critical to their operations without input or t least notifying Nancy, then that is a flaw in good leadership.  Of the three Nancy is for now, the one who has been there the longest so it would seem doubly weird to make a change without her perspective.

Honestly I am team Nancy.  I'd be mad too if they made a decision like that without letting me know or asking for my input.  She makes sense, but she is plot canon fodder for now because she is unfamiliar to the audience and is at a deficit. While TK is brim full character development and plot armor.  But between him switching stuff around and using the siren on the truck to get his boss to her daughter's class just made him come off as his earlier cocky self whom I actively disliked but had come around on.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, sempervivum said:

And Owen already told his co-workers about expecting 'his' new baby-awkward.

That has to have been the most unrealistic bunch of firefighter/EMT physiques ever (in the strip down scene). I don't care how fit they have to be, I bet in real life there would be a bunch of pot bellies, love handles, shorts with holes in them, and tattle-tale grey bras with one strap held up by a safety pin.

My partner has been a firefighter paramedic for 10 years. He likes to "hate watch" this show. That was his extremely loud comment to me during this scene.

• LOL 6

I have a metal plate in my leg, ankle to knee and I have had numerous MRI’s on my back and my other leg. They can’t MRI my leg with the metal, but it wasn’t dangerous to do other parts of me. Happy to see Lisa Edelstein leaving, she plays every part over the top, imo.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I have a metal plate in my leg, ankle to knee and I have had numerous MRI’s on my back and my other leg. They can’t MRI my leg with the metal, but it wasn’t dangerous to do other parts of me. Happy to see Lisa Edelstein leaving, she plays every part over the top, imo.

I wonder why they were not worried about that with you, when they were so uptight with me. Did they do something to shield the leg with the plate in it? Or maybe it has to do with whether it's an open or closed machine?

(edited)

My doctor said the machine is not actually strong enough to suck the metal out or suck me into the machine. They can’t MRI metal because the metal causes the image to blur. The MRI technician told me that they do worry about the magnet if it was positioned right on a part with metal, but it is safe if positioned away.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Useful 1

Regarding the whole pregnancy debacle, I find it stretches the imagination that Gwyn never thought about the guy she slept with apparently 2 weeks prior (ex#2 whatever his name is).  You don't usually know the exact conception date until you are a bit along.  Just saying.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, possibilities said:
9 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I wonder why they were not worried about that with you, when they were so uptight with me. Did they do something to shield the leg with the plate in it? Or maybe it has to do with whether it's an open or closed machine?

There was a line in the episode about it being a certain type of machine that made it more complicated to shut down, so I guess not all MRI machines are created equal.

On 3/2/2021 at 2:06 PM, DearEvette said:

Is this the exit strategy for Lisa Edelstein?  I hope so.  I saw the blurb for this episode on Tvline: 

.And I was like, "who the hell is Gwyn?  Who the hell is Charles?'  LOL.  I legit never registered her name was Gwyn.  She was just always Lisa Edelstein.

I do admit the revelation that it might not be Owen's was the most interesting this entire baby storyline has ever been for me.  But it kinda squicks me that she apparently had unprotected sex with both those men in such a short interval.

I feel like the show is tormenting us with refusing to show any Grace/Judd interaction at all.  They haven't had a scene together since the episode with her dad's infidelity.  I am much more invested in Judd/Grace's domestic drama than I am in Owen/Gwyn. 

I like seeing more of Nancy (again did not even know her name til this episode) and am liking getting more scenes of the paramedics together.  I think moving TK over there was a good move for the show.

And finally, I enjoyed the scene where everybody did a rundown of the various pieces of metal in their bodies.  LOL.  But did we get any other rescues beside the MRI/magnet ones?

I just kept thinking sex in a pandemica The pandemic part kept raising my eyebrows!

• Love 2

I actually liked the baby storyline. Owen seemed so happy about it, it was cute. But eh on Gywn. 

Poor dead lava victim Tim. I know way more about him dead than alive.

Tommy is obsessed with her kids. I like the actress a lot but the way she’s playing it is... odd. 

This show is ridiculous but I’m here for it. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

Why in the world would they go through all this to get the captain back together with his ex wife and then find out it's not his baby. It came out of nowhere and I find it very odd. 

I think the writers couldn't figure out a way to end it without somebody dying, and without having to have an actual baby outcome, which would get boring quickly.  Regarding Tommy, I think she was pretty awful to her husband, but I get going from being a stay at home mom to being there when you can is a tough transition.

The original 911 show has a firefighter with a disabled kid. They could have had a live birth but a disability story. They also could have had a medical complication for Gwyn, and made that into a story. They could have done an abortion story. They could have had the baby be Owen's but that he and Gwyn don't get along as well as they thought, and they split up and then there's shared custody dramas. It's just weird to establish the pregnancy, and then end it like this. You'd think that a show would plot things out with an idea of where they are going. Maybe they can make Owen decide to get more involved with kids now, and join a mentoring program or something. I don't think a single father with a dangerous job and a negative health history would be eligible to be a foster or adoptive parent, but I suppose anything is possible on TV.

I'll be happy enough to see Gwyn and her baby gone, though. So if they just end it with no fallout, that's okay with me, too. It's just a weird writing choice, but then so is a volcano in TX, so....

• Love 4

Too much baby drama and not enough Grace!  And by Gwen (now that I know your name).  Even before you knew the baby wasn't Owen's it seemed like you were trying to pick a fight with him.  Also, I don't know if it was always this way but in this episode the dialogue between Owen and Gwen sounded like something written for a play.  Not at all how real people would talk.  I will say though I thought LE looked very pretty and has very nice skin.  Trying to end on a positive 🙂 

You’ve all expressed how I feel so eloquently and if Enzo as baby daddy means this blasted pregnancy storyline is dunzo, then I am all for it.

The MRI plot was all a vehicle to get Gina Torres in her undies and if she was ok with it, I am too.

Judd standing next to Mateo is a visual that made me giggle.

• Love 1
On 3/5/2021 at 8:21 AM, mojoween said:

The MRI plot was all a vehicle to get Gina Torres in her undies and if she was ok with it, I am too.

Judd standing next to Mateo is a visual that made me giggle.

Some of us appreciated the guys in their undies too. And like you, as long as the actors were fine with it, I'm good.

And yes, Judd next to Mateo was a real study in contrasts.

• Love 1
On 3/2/2021 at 12:57 AM, auchic said:

1. R.R. is so good looking it hurts, and the writers putting him in tight boxer briefs seemed intentional.

2. Gina Torres turns 52 this April, and her body looks like that of a woman 20 years her junior. 

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, RVADrew said:

1. R.R. is so good looking it hurts, and the writers putting him in tight boxer briefs seemed intentional.

It certainly was pleasantly gratuitous.

On 3/2/2021 at 11:29 PM, DearEvette said:

Honestly I am team Nancy.  I'd be mad too if they made a decision like that without letting me know or asking for my input.

In a real-life work situation, it would be the supervisor's responsibility to consult her about a change proposed by a co-worker or to inform her directly if she makes the decision without consultation. So Nancy's frustration should have been directed at her captain, but it would not have made as good drama through amplifying tension between her and TK and his ex-teammates.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 1