Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E20: Winner Chosen

• Start Topic

I've decided that since Project Runway starts tonight, I will switch over to HK at commercials.  Sadly, I don't even care enough to record it and watch tomorrow.  PR will always take precedence over a ridiculous HK finale, so I'm at peace with NOT seeing mush-mouth Kashia, Misogynistic Anton, obnoxious Melanie and numbers challenged Gabrielle.....

• Love 1

Ok, WTH, they're putting up five dishes in the first 25 minutes and we see absolutely no cooking whatsoever.  Salad, hot appetizer, chicken entree, fish entree, beef entree. smfh.  I would gladly have watched a two hour show had they SHOWN  ME SOME COOKING. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't Sandra will get a job anywhere after this. I don't mean just a job in a restaurant. I mean any job.

If you out asshole Jason, then you're in pretty bad shape.

And in a strange twist, I'm actually liking Kashia in this episode.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3
(edited)

Do the contestants get anything from being on the "winning" team.

I have to say I'd rather have Scott as a leader/head chef than Jason. He's such an asshole but Scott is tough but assertive. The people he's working with want to do for him(like Keesha))

I'd think that's what you want.

Nothing from last season's winner yet? Guess she didn't work out great.

Edited by XtremeOne1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Seeing as I'm desperately looking for a job, I honestly wish Sandra the best of luck.  Everyone who wants to work should be able to work.  I don't wish poverty on anyone but I'm sure nobody meant it that way. I wasn't paying attention, did he have a choice other than Sandra?  Kashia looks really calm. No Joy? 

I'm thinking the sous chefs get paid for being on another episode.  I wonder how much that is.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 2

Yeah, I think everyone who wants to work should be able to work.

Which is kinda/sorta my point; I'm not sure she wants to work. When she says stuff like "I could care less" or " if he gets in my face I'm just gonna throw my jacket and smoke a cigarette and chill..."

It doesn't help when your co-workers describe you as the laziest person there.

Believe it or not, I'm not that far from your feelings; I always see that last service as a huge opportunity to impress people. Hell, when you apply for a job these days, they Google your name! And her name is going to bring up video clips of her shrugging her way to getting fired---not good!

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, that was more satisfying than I expected and gosh Scott is cute.  I guess a lot of the sucking up was for trying to do the best for his family.  I had to mute Jason several times.

Yeah, I think everyone who wants to work should be able to work.

Which is kinda/sorta my point; I'm not sure she wants to work.

No problems, glad you were here for the show.

Off to make some from scratch pizza dough now.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 2

Yay congrats to Scott, even though we all knew it was coming. 

I was a bit surprised not to see Joy return but I guess she didn't want to for personal reasons. It would have been her chance to redeem herself though. 

In Jason's defense, he wasn't even being that awful towards Sandra, the way he usually is. He was quite calmly asking her to speed up and she just kept making digs at him. He should have thrown her out and maybe if he did, he'd have had a slightly stronger chance of winning. Unlike Jason, Scott got rid of Jessica when she was just pulling the team down, and I think that helped his win. 

I miss when they used to show bloopers and funny moments at the end of the season but I've noticed for the past couple seasons now they don't show bloopers anymore. It was always my favorite part of the whole season. And now Season 13 is already starting up again in September? This season alone felt like it went on for months, I think it started back in May or something? And they're now casting for Season 14? If the show is going to keep running, I wish they'd make some changes to the format. It feels like we're watching the same show every season.

• Love 4

I was pulling for Jason but I'm fine with Scott winning. Was pretty obvious after about 10 minutes that Scott was getting the winner's edit. Good for him. I was surprised Kaisha came back without Joy. I also thought Jason picking Gabriel would be worse for him than having Sandra. Kept waiting for Gabriel to count the wrong number of crabcakes.

September 10 is a Wednesday, so new night for next season? Less than 7 weeks away.

(edited)

Kept waiting for Gabriel to count the wrong number of crabcakes.

Ha ha.  Did anyone else think those crab cakes looked prefabbed?  All the same shape and crusted already? Didn't they go into the deep fryer?  To me that screams frozen.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 5

I think Scott won because he was clearly a better leader; Jason should have thrown Sandra out as soon as she started with her bullshit.  And like the rest of you, I'm wondering, doesn't she CARE that people will see this??  Surely a lot of these really good chefs will have other job offers after being on a televised cooking show!  Seems like she threw her chances of being a career professional chef right out the window with that attitude.

• Love 6

I was a bit surprised not to see Joy return but I guess she didn't want to for personal reasons.

I think, personally, that Ramsay didn't invite her back. Nothing he hates worse than someone who walks off and quits. And we have no idea of the conversations that might have gone on between them after she walked out of the kitchen. I was glad she wasn't there.

• Love 7
gosh Scott is cute.

"Scott the cook" has never struck me as cute.  But "Scott the family guy" that we saw last week? Totally.  Apparently I'm easily swayed by the presence of adorable children.

And now Season 13 is already starting up again in September? This season alone felt like it went on for months

OMG, I feel like this season has been going on since 2008.  I can't believe that a new season is less than two months away.  Except that I can, because FOX has become the all-Ramsey-all-the-time channel.

• Love 5

Joy quit. There is no way she would be allowed back.

I'm glad Scott won, I think he deserved it more. Am tired of these "scoring" challenges where they are always tied going I to the last dish. I still think it should be blond taste testing and we only find out at the end who got what score

• Love 3

Did anyone else think those crab cakes looked prefabbed?  All the same shape and crusted already? Didn't they go into the deep fryer?  To me that screams frozen.

I lived in Maryland for many years. Marylanders know a thing or two about crab cakes and those didn't look like any crab cake I've ever had. Yeah, they looked way prefab and  unappetizing.

I think Jason lost way back when he screamed at Sandra. That was a disgusting insight into his personality and Ramsay was there to see it and comment on it. Jason has to be one of the most uncouth people I've seen and there's no way I'd want him running anything of mine - he'd run me right into some kind of labor law suit.

You can never be sure, but once I saw Scott's family, I figured he would win. You've got a good looking guy, family man, serious, not afraid to ask questions (others may call it sucking up, but if you don't ask, you don't learn), and seemed to generally keep his head down during the course of the show. Assuming they both had the same level of cooking skills and that neither had a terrible final night, I'd pick Scott in a minute.

I miss the finalists' restaurants, but can see where that takes a lot of time from the show. What I sat there and waited for  and really missed were the back stage moments. Those are usually quite funny.

Kaisha did alright tonight. I hope girlfriend gets a good job out this. She's not GR material yet, but she can do fine in a number of environments. She photogenic and it would be great to see her (maybe with a bit more polish) doing Southern cooking on TV or the traveling food festivals. I wish her good luck.

• Love 5

Ha ha.  Did anyone else think those crab cakes looked prefabbed?  All the same shape and crusted already? Didn't they go into the deep fryer?  To me that screams frozen.

Definitely! I see crab cakes that look just like that in grocery stores all the time. And have tried them, they're awful.

Congrats to Scott. Jason was such a douche I didn't want to see him win. And I knew Joy wouldn't be there. Gordon Ramsay hates quitters. A month ago I just knew it was going to be her and Scott in the finale. She really blew it big time.

The new season starts in September. Good Lord. As much as I love this show, that's way too soon. This season felt like it was at least 6 months long. The first guy Scott chose for his team? I swear that was so long ago I don't even remember him.

• Love 1

Scott deserved to win the moment he threw Jessica out of the kitchen without insulting her personally or making any allusion to her gender. It was cute how he kept aping Chef Ramsay's mannerisms at the pass.

Surprised the show is coming back so soon, but then again, Fox needs all the programming it can get prior to the World Series.

• Love 5

That's an awesome observation. Didn't notice it during the show but you are absolutely right. Maybe you can get them freshly (machine) made to be uniform size and shape, but frozen seems very likely.

Surprised the show is coming back so soon, but then again, Fox needs all the programming it can get prior to the World Series.

The schedule for the World Series on Fox isn't set in stone yet but the tentative dates are Oct 22 through the 30th. That would preempt at least 1 and maybe 2 episodes of HK.

Scott deserved the win, he kept his cool in the kitchen and his food looked appetizing. Jason called people dumb asses and his crab cakes did not look freshly made. He also is just a jerk of a person so there's that. I have no idea why they had that bizarre cooking segment in the fighting ring since they didn't have time to show us any of the actual cooking. Then after all that cooking the only advantage was to pick first which only means you are picking one person ahead of the other. 

Just saw Ramsey on Jimmy Kimmel, Hotel Hell, Masterchef and Hells Kitchen, all in one week. I love him, but enough.

Scott was my favorite all along so I was happy to see him win.  I figured he would but you never know what might happen in a finale.  Watching him all choked up holding his pretty little girl who had her arms around his neck........ huge awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.  Jason may be a good cook but he's crude.  He's very young so he may mature although I have my doubts.  Kaisha really redeemed herself.  She looked nice and I could even understand her.  Sandra did not.  Yike.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just saw Ramsey on Jimmy Kimmel, Hotel Hell, Masterchef and Hells Kitchen, all in one week. I love him, but enough.

I hear you, but we did go a long time there with no Ramsay at all.  Mr. Intuition and I were going into withdrawal.  Now he's announced he won't do any more seasons of "Kitchen Nightmares" although I think there might be one in the can to air yet.  And don't forget "MasterChef Junior" which will probably start right after regular "MasterChef" like it did last year.  At least I hope it will, lol.  I'm wondering if he reassessed his shows and has put more emphasis on "Hell's Kitchen" now that he won't be doing "Kitchen Nightmares" anymore, hence it coming back so soon.  Or maybe it was just a scheduling issue.  Whatever, I'm not unhappy about it.  I found this season entertaining.  It looks to me like Ramsay's actually getting "soft" in his "old age" and has a soft spot in his heart for this show. 

Good for Scott - I knew he would be in the finals weeks ago, but I thought it would be him and Joy, not him and that freaking australopithecine Jason.  What a totally unattractive person, and I'm not even talking about his appearance (although that's not attractive either).  I am so sure he was only there because he was the backup plan after Joy left.  I was totally convinced that woman was not really his girlfriend.  A nice young woman like that would never go with him.  I agree with the poster who said she was probably hired for the role.  I never realized how cute Scott was until a few weeks ago when they focused on his eyes.  Wowza!  But he also has a cute personality.  A little perfectionistic but that's good in a chef.  He's got a lot of good qualities and leadership skill to boot.

What a shock and a shame about Joy walking out, though.  I still can't get over it.  That has to go down in food competition TV history as one of the saddest self eliminations ever.  The only other situation that I remember that comes close was when Amy Finley won "Food Network Star" and made her six shows but then decided to hang up her TV apron for good.

Edited by Intuition

To be fair to Amy, Food Network didn't want her, they wanted the other girl, but that guy who lied about being in the military screwed up their plans.  I dunno if I'd want to stay in such an environment.  (Amy would've been infinitely better then Guy.)

Don't forget the phone commercial he's doing.  Now you get to see Ramsey even if you don't watch any of his shows.

Neither one of these guys were my favorite, but given what there was to choose from, Scott's the better choice.

I almost felt bad for Jason for a nano-second, as he actually seemed to feel like he had a chance. Then again, Melanie thought she was a contender. The delusion runs high. Of course, I got over any bad feelings quickly remembering that Jason's an absolute misogynist with anger-management issues. 

• Love 3

Scott deserved to win the moment he threw Jessica out of the kitchen without insulting her personally or making any allusion to her gender.

I completely agree.

Extra-special award for spectacular lack of awareness for Rochelle. Who spent the season being targeted by Joy and Kashia. Who watched Scott be targeted by Joy and Kashia. Who actually stood by with Melanie and snickered about letting Scott do all the punishment work for them in their last challenge together because it was hard and that made it men's work.

And who, when Scott apparently decided that the teammates he worked well with were better first choices for his team than women he'd had bad working experiences with, or Sandra the walking bar fight, or Jessica the soggy incompetent mess, sniffed... sexism.

Shut up, Rochelle. Although you looked much healthier.

• Love 3
(edited)

To be fair to Amy, Food Network didn't want her, they wanted the other girl, but that guy who lied about being in the military screwed up their plans.  I dunno if I'd want to stay in such an environment.  (Amy would've been infinitely better then Guy.)

I read an article a while back where I think either Amy or Food Network said they offered her a season after her six shows so if they didn't want her they wouldn't have done that.  I don't necessarily think they wanted "Jag" more than Amy.  They at least seemed to want Amy as much, IIRC, and the public was hugely for her as I recall, and judging from the polls online it seemed like a landslide in her favor.  I would think they would want whoever the public really wanted.  I also remember that Amy was on the fence about wanting the series even before Jag's lying came out or the finale.  Her hesitation seemed to be more about her not about how anyone felt about her (or him) IMO.  She is on record in an interview saying that she didn't want it for personal reasons.  It seems her husband was not on board with her ambitions because it would take her away from the family too much, and she said she wanted to save the relationship rather than potentially lose it (or something to that effect).

Edited by Intuition

After the way GR threw such a fit in the premiere about the guy using canned tamAHtoes and refrigerated tortellini it would shock the shit out of me if the crab cakes were actually frozen in the finale.  Then again, I'm on some new heavy duty pain meds that are gumming up the works so if anyone finds any proof please do post it!!  (yeah I know TMI but it made Mr. Drawers laugh and I'm gonna blame it on said pain meds.)

So... it looked to me like the pointless "challenge" was scored by having each judge decide which dish was better, with the better dish getting a 9 and the worse dish getting an 8 (unless they were equal and scored the same). The only reason to pretend it was actually done on a 10-point scale seems to be convincing us that the food was so amazing.

Also, I didn't record it so I can't go back and see -- when they walked into the hotel room and Gordon was waiting to surprise them, did Jason say "Who's that woman?"

I watched this episode because I felt obligated after watching all the other ones. I think part of why the last episode is boring -- aside from the fact that it's Scott and Jason this time -- is that they reverse the narrative they've been feeding us all season. Most of Hell's Kitchen is about telling us why these people suck (even if that's mean), but the final episode is about convincing us that they're suddenly both amazing so that there's tension about who will win (and so that you don't feel like the winner sucks). The same thing happens on a lot of competitive shows. For the first 3/4 of the season, it's like, "Jesus, you guys are all awful" and then right at the very end, it's like, "I don't know how we can choose between such amazing competitors!"

How, indeed.

• Love 3

It was clear that Scott was going to win from pretty early in the service. At least Jason actually managed to be gracious in defeat, though - Season 8's Russell must still be hoping that someone comes along and acts like even more of a pathetic whiny loser than he did.

If Season 13's coming along in just a few months, does that mean they can cast, shoot and edit it in that amount of time? Or was the mid-episode casting call for a Season 14?

I think they shot this show last year or something, it's weird how quickly they can throw this slop together.

A nice young woman like that would never go with him.

She could be a psychopath, soon to appear on "Snapped", for all we know. :)

• Love 3
(edited)

It was clear that Scott was going to win from pretty early in the service. At least Jason actually managed to be gracious in defeat, though - Season 8's Russell must still be hoping that someone comes along and acts like even more of a pathetic whiny loser than he did.

If Season 13's coming along in just a few months, does that mean they can cast, shoot and edit it in that amount of time? Or was the mid-episode casting call for a Season 14?

It was clear to me that Scott was going to win from last week's episode. He ran the pass the way Ramsey himself would have run things, sending stuff back that clearly wasn't done properly even when the dish in question wasn't part of the planned sabotage. He was being the boss and imposing standards on the others. Jason on the other hand was joking and trying to make the others his friends. it didn't work.

You saw the same thing in the final. Scott was demanding of his brigade to the point of storyboarding his dishes, and seemed confident and rehearsed when it came to explaining them. Jason was muddled and seemed lacksadaisical explaining his dishes. Scott was demanding and methodical about how things should be prepped which got on some people's nerves but was effective. Jason not so much. When Scott had a problem with one of his people he tried to fix it by moving Rochelle to the Garnish station ot help, but then got rid of Jessica entirely. Jason didn't try to move someone in to help Sandra, and dealt with the problem by yelling. Simply put, Jason didn't command his brigade, Scott did.

No surprise that Hell's Kitchen is coming back in the Fall season. Fox has a big fat hole where "The X-Factor" used to live, and "Hells Kitchen" delivers better numbers than "X-Factor" ever did, even in the summer.

BTW, at the very end did anyone else notice Chef Andi holding Scott's daughter. She looked amazingly maternal, but then this has been the season where we saw the many faces of Andi, from joking to offering advice to yelling at Anton. Andi was a lot more visible this season than James was (then again I think she has more pesonality than James).

Edited by SledDog
  • Love 3

It was clear to me that Scott was going to win from last week's episode. He ran the pass the way Ramsey himself would have run things, sending stuff back that clearly wasn't done properly even when the dish in question wasn't part of the planned sabotage. He was being the boss and imposing standards on the others. Jason on the other hand was joking and trying to make the others his friends. it didn't work.

Sure, Scott seemed the more likely winner from last week. I've just been watching this show long enough to know not to take anything for granted in the final - Jay and Will looked pretty certain to win Seasons 7 and 9 respectively, but crashed and burned in the last episode.

Also, was I seeing things, or was Christina from Season 4 in the audience for the boxing match/cook-off?

The "planned sabotage" was another suicidal move. Owners know chefs have tempermental personalities, owners know kitchen/dining room staffs have bitchfights, owners know it's a competition show....

But...when you have been eliminated from any advancement in competition,

when your sabotage device involves screwing over the customers--and therefore the restaurant and the owner---by delaying food or preparing it wrong?

That's when you've killed your own career prospects.

I've watched this show for a long time (though I haven't commented herein the past) but at this point some online magazine is missing a great story checking out the fortunes (or misfortunes) of HK contestants who played double agent in the final episode crew.

I know the show will never do it, because they don't want those people to stop, they need the psychodrama.

Based on last night, Scott deserved to win. Had Jason thrown out Sandra then there might have been a different winner tonight. Seeing the interactions with Scott and his family make me feel pretty good about this result, not that I hate Jason or anything like that.

• Love 1