Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Didn’t this woman start a GoFundMe and get a bunch of donations already?

It was actually started by the couple who owned the house on her behalf. 

39 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Didn’t this woman start a GoFundMe and get a bunch of donations already?

20 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes.  She has raised over $166,000. 

So should we feel less bad for her? I'm sure there also things in that house that are  irreplaceable , sentimental things that don't cost anything but she won't be able to recover photos etc. Not to mention the trauma of the event. She is the victim.

I agree that people shouldn't be harassing her children on social media that's crass and they are going through a horrible experience but I don't think people shouldn't be able to criticize Anne are talk about the reasons she died a preventable death. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 14
42 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes.  She has raised over $166,000. 

Then I don’t think she’s suffering in the streets.

18 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

So should we feel less bad for her? I'm sure there also things in that house that are  irreplaceable , sentimental things that don't cost anything but she won't be able to recover photos etc. Not to mention the trauma of the event. She is the victim.

I agree that people shouldn't be harassing her children on social media that's crass and they are going through a horrible experience but I don't think people shouldn't be able to criticize Anne are talk about the reasons she died a preventable death. 

I mentioned that because some people were commenting that  the woman might be homeless and unable to work. I’ve never had even close to $166,000, so I assume she’s doing ok in those areas. If she wanted to, she could stay in a high end hotel with that kind of money. Unlike the many thousands of actual homeless people in LA living on the actual streets, including many children. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Somehow, we have gotten to a place of means testing misfortune and misery.

We should stop doing that.

Also compassion is not a zero-sum game. You can have compassion for everyone. 

In other news: Jlo is Team Britney:

https://pagesix.com/2022/08/13/jennifer-lopez-sends-message-to-britney-spears-amid-k-fed-feud/?_ga=2.103903744.121936236.1659545024-972973328.1615308047

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
On 8/12/2022 at 3:40 PM, Shannon L. said:

I'm seeing reports that have come in within the last hour that Anne Heche has been officially declared brain dead.   I didn't see many of her shows, but I do remember watching her in Volcano and was struck by how beautiful she was. Her beauty was almost ethereal with her pale skin and blonde hair, yet she was able to believably play a tough character. 

I feel bad for her and her loved ones.  Had she survived, I'd have supported charges against her (I'm sorry her kid has to follow up on everything accident related that comes his way now) and I'm glad no one else was physically hurt, but I'm also sad about how her life turned out. They're not mutually exclusive feelings. 

That's basically where I'm at. Had she lived, I would have expected and supported her going to prison for at least a year and would have been angry if she had managed to escape prison with a slap on the wrist.

At the same time I do feel sorry for her that she just ultimately couldn't escape her demons and that her 20-year old son is going to have to arrange a funeral, settle her estate, and deal with the onslaught of inevitable lawsuits. If she had just stayed at the scene of her first accident she probably would have gotten a DUI and some rehab and then she would have laughed about it in an interview a few years from now.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:48 AM, patriciahelenkit said:

If i had a TARDIS, I'd go back and take newborn baby Anne Heche from the parents who abused and used her and give her to a couple that had struggled to conceive a child but would have a lot of love to give.

download.jpg.186565a50d52efbe894c67e6c8a3ab7a.jpg

It's kinda crazy that how perfect her family looked was the inverse of how messed up they actually were.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

FBI forensics analysis of the Rust shooting concludes that, contrary to Baldwin's invterview with George Stephanopoulos, the trigger of the gun was pulled.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/rust-shooting-fbi-investigation-alec-baldwin-1235340797/#article-comments

So odd that he would deny that, while at the same time professing his certainty that the gun wasn't loaded with lethal ammunition (a reasonable claim).  I mean, of course you pulled the trigger, how else would it fire blanks?

Idiot

• Like 3
  • Sad 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

So odd that he would deny that, while at the same time professing his certainty that the gun wasn't loaded with lethal ammunition (a reasonable claim).  I mean, of course you pulled the trigger, how else would it fire blanks?

Idiot

I wonder if the forensic report will result in charges against Mr. Baldwin- including possible perjury?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Or perhaps he was/is so traumatize by it that he can't/doesn't remember pulling the trigger. 

Not to take anything away from the true tragedy but pulling a trigger and killing someone is very traumatic. It's something that most people can't wrap their head around.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Idiot

I have no problem with the idea that he could believe he didn’t fire. They weren’t filming when the shooting happened. They were going over blocking and he was walking through what he was going to do. Even if it’s just because he needs to believe he didn’t pull the trigger because he can’t deal with the alternative.

Memory is highly flawed and tends to gloss over many details. I’ve had plenty of moments where I know I did something but I have zero memory of actually doing it. Or where I didn’t do something but would have sworn that I did. 

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I wonder if the forensic report will result in charges against Mr. Baldwin- including possible perjury?

That seems really unlikely. 

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Idiot

I think he was in shock and probably still has a bit of PTSD. As others have said, our memories can play games with us. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, xfuse said:

Or perhaps he was/is so traumatize by it that he can't/doesn't remember pulling the trigger. 

Not to take anything away from the true tragedy but pulling a trigger and killing someone is very traumatic. It's something that most people can't wrap their head around.

Traumatized in the moments/hours following the event I might buy, but not days/weeks later sitting for an ill-advised interview with Stephanopoulos.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Traumatized in the moments/hours following the event I might buy, but not days/weeks later sitting for an ill-advised interview with Stephanopoulos.

The interview was a really bad choice but trauma doesn’t have a time limit. 

• Like 4
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Makai said:

The interview was a really bad choice but trauma doesn’t have a time limit. 

Well, I can't know his mind.  I will admit that I'm influenced by the person that he has shown us, which in my view is nutty, if I'm being kind.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Trauma and PTSD can last for years.

• Like 9
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Well, I can't know his mind.  I will admit that I'm influenced by the person that he has shown us, which in my view is nutty, if I'm being kind.

I agree with you about him. I absolutely believe he could not remember pulling the trigger but for him to be so certain of that despite the evidence means he’s probably outright lying or lying to himself. I also believe he was still traumatized by the experience in the interview and that the interview was performative. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

He wasn't under oath when talking to ABC, so no chance that's perjury. And if he gave a sworn written statement, which I don't know, how do you prove he didn't believe it to be true when he gave the statement?

Most perjury charges result from giving two sworn statements that contradict each other in a way that they absolutely cannot both be true. This also means the prosecution doesn't have to disprove the facts in the statements or go into his subjective mental state. Just that both are under oath and at least one has to be a lie.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I can’t imagine the district attorney would ever want to prosecute him for this incident. And as noted, perjury can only be committed on the stand at trial. 

Edited by Cinnabon
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

And as noted, perjury can only be committed on the stand at trial. 

It’s not just on the stand. You can also commit perjury during a deposition, signed statement and other ways. Basically if you officially swear you are telling the truth and knowingly tell a lie that is material to the case you can be charged. It’s impossible to prove Baldwin didn’t believe what he was saying and it probably isn’t material either way. 

8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Guns can go off without having their trigger pulled.  It's rare but it can happen.

4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

There are people who never recall a traumatic event. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Guns can go off without having their trigger pulled.  It's rare but it can happen.

There are people who never recall a traumatic event. 

And sometimes they just remember bits and pieces over time, and it becomes difficult to know which pieces are true. 

• Like 3
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Makai said:

Having the money donated doesn’t mean she’s not homeless, able to work or that she is doing okay in those areas. She lost everything. $166,000 is a lot of money but it’s not going to go that far in California during a housing shortage particularly with multiple pets. She lost the equipment she used for her business which has to be replaced as well as all of her clothes and furniture. 

I really don’t understand ranking misfortune. 

I agree! This whole 'I don't think so-and-so has suffered as much as me/my pets so they deserve zero compassion or empathy' deal seems rather a rather myopic let-em-eat-cake 'tude!

• Like 4
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, xfuse said:

I can’t stand Alec Baldwin and if this event had not cost a life I might be petty enough to want to see how his statement plays out, but I’m wondering about the trauma to him as well. He may very well have convinced himself that what he said is what actually happened to be able to live with himself. And while my first sympathy is with the victim and her family and he was obviously inexcusably careless, I do have some sympathy or at least empathy left over for him. Not much, but it’s there. If he’s a normal person, it’s got to be horrific to live with this no matter what degree of responsibility he ultimately holds.

Edited by katie9918
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

I agree! This whole 'I don't think so-and-so has suffered as much as me/my pets so they deserve zero compassion or empathy' deal seems rather a rather myopic let-em-eat-cake 'tude!

I get your point, but I wonder how much those who donated to this woman (who does deserve it) ever donate to those much needier than she? Or even how much thought they have ever given to them. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Cinnabon
7 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I get your point, but I wonder how much those who donated to this woman (who does deserve it) ever donate to those much needier than she? Or even how much thought they have ever given to them. 🤷‍♀️

Doesn't matter.   People can choose to give to whom they want.   Also, doesn't really matter how much is donated, she will always remember that she lost EVERYTHING in a fire caused by an impaired driver.   She will be traumatized for the rest of her life.   This is not the Sympathy Olympics where the person with the saddest story wins.

21 hours ago, Blergh said:

HIGHLY unlikely.   Perjury is prosecuted EXTREMELY rarely.   I get it all the time in my cases "But he lied about his income, that's PERJURY."   Well yes and no.   Perjury is lying about a material fact to a case under oath.    So first, it has to be actually matter to the case.   Second it has to be big enough to matter.    Or as I usually tell my clients "When was the last time you heard of someone being prosecuted for perjury."  That usually stops them.   We all get our ideas about perjury the same place we get our ideas about how courtrooms work -- tv.   But in real courtrooms, everyone is too busy to prosecute everyone who lies under oath.    It has to be really really really egregious to be prosecuted.   Lying about pulling the trigger, even if it were under oath, and they could PROVE he lied, probably not going to happen.   Why bother?

• Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 14
9 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

And it took this long (49 years?!) why? As Sacheen Littlefeather states, so many have died, who didn't live to see this moment.

Too bad he's dead, but FUCK JOHN WAYNE. Now I'll never be able to enjoy those I Love Lucy episodes with him again. Oh, wait. I'll just fast forward his parts.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, patriciahelenkit said:

My favourite moment on Wikipedia is how an article insists that it is just "conventional wisdom in the radio industry" that listeners don't like deep playlists and also that it's wrong that there are few radio stations aimed at 55+.

As opposed to the actual intensive research that radio stations and advertising agencies have done which show that listeners will punch that button if they hear a song on a nostalgia station that isn't say, "My Girl", or that older listeners are less influenced by advertising compared to younger listeners who will buy a ton of stuff they don't need based on commercials.

My dad worked in radio. Can confirm your second paragraph is correct. I remember him talking and ranting about that issue all the time when he worked as program director, and had to deal with stations trying to push restrictive playlists and such. 

• Like 1

On what would have been his 37th birthday, the late Nipsey Hussle's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was unveiled today (and last week a new Metro station not far from where his Marathon clothing store [where he was murdered] was dedicated in his name):

While Hussle was honored for his musical accomplishments, he was remembered for a legacy of community building in Los Angeles that continues to this day in his name.

"This is a really good birthday gift," said LaTanya Ward, a community activist and friend of the rapper. "I wish he were actually here to receive it. He got people to understand that people who come from where we come from can accomplish great feats."

Monday's ceremony included touching speeches from members of the rapper's family, including his sister, father, grandmother, and fiancée, actress Lauren London.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 8/13/2022 at 8:58 AM, Blergh said:

I wonder what that's about? Did Mr. Toobin entirely on his own decide this or did CNN get enough flak from viewers, advertisers,  etc. over having him resume his duties (instead of giving qualified applicants a chance to do Mr. Toobin's work) after having broadcast something viewers, by and large, hadn't tuned in to view that the big wigs insisted he do so 'for the good of the company'?And why did this happen now instead of immediately after the decision was made to put him BACK on the air?

I was disgusted with CNN keeping him on in any role. Doesn’t matter if that Zoom call wasn’t with Vanity Fair, CNN, or wherever - it was totally disgusting and revolting. If he had been physically present at a meeting and did that, he would have been arrested.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
On 8/14/2022 at 12:03 PM, Cinnabon said:

Trauma and PTSD can last for years.

I’ve had trauma and PTSD for over 30 years from my abusive first marriage. I am sure my recollection of events that happened is tainted by my trauma.

I do agree that Baldwin may be viewing things as he recollects them. 
One disclaimer - I am the total opposite of an Alec Baldwin fan.

IMO - Baldwin’s recollections seem to vary widely and are often very inconsistent.

While I am sure his has trauma and PTSD, it took him hardly anytime to claim any semblance of personal culpability.

It seems to me that he has no problem throwing anyone under the bus as long as it’s not him (again, I am not an unbiased viewer).

• Hugs 3
  • Love 3
On 8/15/2022 at 4:25 AM, merylinkid said:

Doesn't matter.   People can choose to give to whom they want.   Also, doesn't really matter how much is donated, she will always remember that she lost EVERYTHING in a fire caused by an impaired driver.   She will be traumatized for the rest of her life.   This is not the Sympathy Olympics where the person with the saddest story wins.

Well...

In reality, no it isn't, but there can be a perception where the Sympathy Olympics is very real. Draw a direct line between Anne Heche and Ezra Miller. For whatever reason, Heche relapsed back into using drugs, and it killed her through an accident that she caused, an accident that wiped out another woman's home and all of her possessions. How much of the relapse was her demons catching up with her, the abuse she suffered at the hands of the people she'd have had every reason to believe should love and protect her? We'll never know because her story ended in tragedy, and she didn't come out on the other side. Maybe one day her children will tell the story, but they shouldn't be obligated to.

Similarly, Miller has spun so far out of control that they're breaking into people's houses and evading the police on a spree that's ranged from Hawaii to Vermont. Now there's discussion of being in treatment for mental issues, and I'm not sure of what that stems from or if it's not simply a ploy to avoid consequences of their actions. If they're genuinely ill, should we withhold judgment until we know more or should we go full steam ahead with "Why hasn't everyone washed their hands of them? They shouldn't have a movie or a career, because if this was a woman she'd already be done!" (Unless you're Amber Heard, which is a separate conversation.) Presuming that Miller has a mental illness, if they'd gotten the help they needed before, would we be talking about this spiral of weirdness at all? Or do we save our sympathy for someone who "deserves it more"?

• Like 2

Excellent article that many could learn from, if they chose to.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/anne-heche-dead-life-support-removed-drugs-hate-breathtaking-rcna43109

Heche’s injuries left her brain-dead. On Sunday, her family took her off life support. I wonder whether it’s enough to satisfy those who have been calling for her head. They have it now.

As I read the comments, the word that popped out at me was “choice.”

“There are accidents and there are choices,” said one of the many Instagram users pummeling Baldwin, adding that “her choice burned down a family’s home."

I will make no friends for saying so, but I’m not sure Heche did make a choice.

Compulsion is the crux of addiction. And compulsion is “an irresistible urge to behave in a certain way, especially against one’s conscious wishes.” Nothing is more bewildering to me than harming myself against my own will.

Which is part of why the medical community has urged the public to see addiction for the clinical issue it is. In a 2020 article, the American Medical Association’s Journal of Ethicsadvised doctors, “It is ethically incumbent upon everyone in medicine and health care to recognize addiction not as a moral failing but as a treatable disease.” 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I find this statement from Miller, disingenuous. I posted an article in the Flash movie thread where WB put out a statement that Miller had three choices. And referred to his crimes as "erratic behavior" and the first choice was for them to go and get "treatment" for his crimes.

Looks like that's the route they are taking and it just boggles the mind. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? This is sounding more and more like back in the day, if a criminal had been abused, that could be the reason to give them a pass for their criminal acts.

Now Miller and others are using mental illness as the crutch or the "reason" why they should get "understanding" and not be held responsible for what they've done and alleged to have done.

And I just don't find the situation between Anne Heche and Ezra Miller to be at all comparable.

Miller's statement gives me serious "the lawyers told me to say something" vibes. I'm wondering if WB is applying pressure to Miller to say something because the statement really does just use generic talking points to skim over what they've actually been accused of. That's not to say Miller wouldn't benefit from professional help, but it did strike me as disingenuous wording since the statement doesn't address the darker accusations that have been made and just frames it around "alarming and upsetting" people, which sounds more like a breakdown than criminal activity. Miller, you're doing a lot more than just alarming and upsetting people. You're physically attacking them. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I find this statement from Miller, disingenuous. I posted an article in the Flash movie thread where WB put out a statement that Miller had three choices. And referred to his crimes as "erratic behavior" and the first choice was for them to go and get "treatment" for his crimes.

Looks like that's the route they are taking and it just boggles the mind. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? This is sounding more and more like back in the day, if a criminal had been abused, that could be the reason to give them a pass for their criminal acts.

Now Miller and others are using mental illness as the crutch or the "reason" why they should get "understanding" and not be held responsible for what they've done and alleged to have done.

And I just don't find the situation between Anne Heche and Ezra Miller to be at all comparable.

I don’t think most people consider abuse to be a reason to give someone a complete pass for criminal acts, but they are often considered mitigating factors at sentencing. We can have empathy for past abuse and still want those who commit crimes to be held accountable for their actions. A person’s history does give insight to their present behaviors in many cases. Allowing for empathy and understanding doesn’t preclude wanting criminals to face consequences for their actions. Unfortunately, in this country, when the addicted and/or mentally ill commit crimes, they are usually send to prison but don’t get any treatment for their diseases.

Do you mean pummeling Heche?

That was a quote from the article I linked. Baldwin was attacked for expressing sadness about Anne Heche’s death.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I find this statement from Miller, disingenuous. I posted an article in the Flash movie thread where WB put out a statement that Miller had three choices. And referred to their crimes as "erratic behavior" and the first choice was for them to go and get "treatment" for their crimes.

15 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I don’t think most people consider abuse to be a reason to give someone a complete pass for criminal acts, but they are often considered mitigating factors at sentencing. We can have empathy for past abuse and still want those who commit crimes to be held accountable for their actions. A person’s history does give insight to their present behaviors in many cases. Allowing for empathy and understanding doesn’t preclude wanting criminals to face consequences for their actions. Unfortunately, in this country, when the addicted and/or mentally ill commit crimes, they are usually send to prison but don’t get any treatment for their diseases.

That was a quote from the article I linked. Baldwin was attacked for expressing sadness about Anne Heche’s death.

Ah, okay.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Now there's discussion of being in treatment for mental issues, and I'm not sure of what that stems from or if it's not simply a ploy to avoid consequences of their actions. 

This is my guess.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

As I read the comments, the word that popped out at me was “choice.”

“There are accidents and there are choices,” said one of the many Instagram users pummeling Baldwin, adding that “her choice burned down a family’s home."

I will make no friends for saying so, but I’m not sure Heche did make a choice.

Compulsion is the crux of addiction. And compulsion is “an irresistible urge to behave in a certain way, especially against one’s conscious wishes.” Nothing is more bewildering to me than harming myself against my own will.

If this is true, then we should be able to put people with this kind of addiction/compulsion into some kind of institution just on the possibility of what they might do. The only reason Anne Heche didn't kill somebody was luck. Did you see the video of her driving down the street? Luckily, nobody was in the street at the time because she sure wasn't looking out for anyone.  Did you see the video of her just missing the woman? That woman was lucky too. So was the woman who was in the house that Anne crashed into & set on fire.  People's mental illness/addiction issues shouldn't outweigh everyone else's safety issues. I don't care what we treat it as, I care that I could be walking somewhere one day &  be accidentally killed by someone with an addiction.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I find this statement from Miller, disingenuous. I posted an article in the Flash movie thread where WB put out a statement that Miller had three choices. And referred to their crimes as "erratic behavior" and the first choice was for them to go and get "treatment" for their crimes.

I concur on the disengenuos.  I'd say its most likely written by and put out by a PR person for Miller or WB.  The thing that is going to be interesting is that it should become clear fairly quickly if its genuine because there are people under Miller's influence that should have a reaction that is most likely going to make it to the media if there is a change to the status quo.  Tokata Iron Eyes for one hasn't been silent through this on social and will likely react if Miller is really seeking treatment.

If Miller is getting help that is great, honestly (although I doubt it) because there is little he isn't getting a pass on already without getting help.  The only oustanding charge at the moment is stealing several bottles of alcohol.  Hawaii ended in a fine and a dismissal.  Everything else is mostly restraining orders and no charges.  There is no indication that anything about that stuff is going to result in criminal charges. 

So I think this is one of two things.  Miller has been tipped that charges are coming and is trying to get ahead of it.  Or WB has enough pull in Miller's "Flash" contract that they could get Miller to capitulate to making this statement.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

In a new interview with Harper’s Bazaar, Don’t Worry Darling actor Florence Pugh revealed that she and Zach Braff quietly broke up earlier this year after three years together. “We’ve been trying to do this separation without the world knowing, because it’s been a relationship that everybody has an opinion on,” said Pugh, 26, whose 21-year age gap with the actor-director has often been subject to intense criticism and scrutiny. “We just felt something like this would really do us the benefit of not having millions of people telling us how happy they are that we’re not together. So we’ve done that. I automatically get a lumpy throat when I talk about it.”

https://www.thecut.com/2022/08/florence-pugh-and-zach-braff-have-broken-up.html

She's never going to admit the age gap was weird, but yeah, happy is probably too extreme but that part of her personal life is no longer distracting to me.

2 hours ago, GaT said:

If this is true, then we should be able to put people with this kind of addiction/compulsion into some kind of institution just on the possibility of what they might do. The only reason Anne Heche didn't kill somebody was luck. Did you see the video of her driving down the street? Luckily, nobody was in the street at the time because she sure wasn't looking out for anyone.  Did you see the video of her just missing the woman? That woman was lucky too. So was the woman who was in the house that Anne crashed into & set on fire.  People's mental illness/addiction issues shouldn't outweigh everyone else's safety issues. I don't care what we treat it as, I care that I could be walking somewhere one day &  be accidentally killed by someone with an addiction.

Did you read the whole article? Addiction can literally change the brain’s wiring (supported by the AMA). And yes, if convicted of a crime, they should be sentenced to a facility where they can receive  appropriate treatment for their diseases. Sometimes this happens, but in most cities, they’re given no treatment but are simply sent to prison. In some prisons, it’s estimated that up to half of the inmates are there for crimes committed due to their addictions because there aren’t any local appropriate addiction treatment facilities. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 5
  • Useful 5
On 8/15/2022 at 11:22 AM, MissAlmond said:

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has apologized to Sacheen Littlefeather.

Well, it only took nearly 50 years.

Littlefeather was interviewed for an episode of the Academy Museum Podcast earlier this year.  This is powerful:

I knew that I paid the price of admission so that others could follow. That I had done something, that I was the first to make a statement, a political statement. The first Native American Indian woman, the first woman of color to ever make a statement at the Academy Awards, telling the truth about the way that it really is. Not the second, not the third, not the fourth, but the first one - and that will always historically be true.

In time, the doors would be opened. And in time, the things that I wanted back then would become a reality. All we were asking, and I was asking, was 'Let us be employed. Let us be ourselves. Let us play ourselves in films. Let us be a part of your industry, producing, directing, writing. Don't write our stories for us. Let us write our own stories. Let us be who we are.' This is all I was saying. 

And yet, it was met with such hostility and anger, and I nearly paid the price with my life as a result. When I went back to Marlon's house, there was an incident with people shooting at me. And there were two bullet holes that came through the doorway of where I was standing, and I was on the other side of it. … It's situations like this that make you really think, you know, what if, what if, what if? And yet, I was never allowed to tell my story. Never. Never. And now, 50 years or so later, and here we are for the first time. 

It feels like the sacred circle is completing itself before I go in this life. It feels like a big cleanse, if you will, of mind, body, and spirit, and of heart. It feels that the truth will be known. And it feels like the creator is being good to me. 

When I was up there refusing the award, I dreamed about someone like [my niece] Calina. And someone who would break through the barriers and do her own thing, whether doors would be open. And where she would be able to go through them, to be able to make her dreams come true, of singing, of acting and doing. This is what I did. She is the beginning of a whole new agenda. And so, I passed the baton on to her. And I do it gratefully and thankfully. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 22
2 hours ago, GaT said:

If this is true, then we should be able to put people with this kind of addiction/compulsion into some kind of institution just on the possibility of what they might do.

But where does that end?  Should someone with heart disease be forbidden to drive because there’s a chance they could have a heart attack behind the wheel?  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I suppose they're including spending several years grooming adolescents and starting a cult to be under the umbrella of "erratic behavior."

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Zella said:

Miller's statement gives me serious "the lawyers told me to say something" vibes. I'm wondering if WB is applying pressure to Miller to say something because the statement really does just use generic talking points to skim over what they've actually been accused of.

I agree.  This statement is so generic and feels very much like it was taken out of their hands in order to preserve their career. Or their movie.

I think the WB is getting a lot of negative attention for throwing away a nearly completed Batgirl as a tax write off but has indicated they're moving forward with The Flash even though its star has been accused of everything from fighting to grooming. I think everyone is hoping people will just forget about it with a stint in rehab.

Truthfully, I suspect many people likely will.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
  • Love 2