Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

(edited)
16 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

If JLo has low self esteem, what hope is there for the rest of us? (be sure to watch the trailer for her documentary in the link)

https://dlisted.com/2022/05/19/in-her-new-netflix-documentary-halftime-jennifer-lopez-gets-emotional-after-finding-out-she-didnt-get-an-oscar-nomination-for-hustlers/#more-424110

There is hope for ALL of us if we each decide to use self-respect to guide our lives instead of pinning everything on that rather fragile and fickle entity called 'self-esteem' . The latter appears to be based more if not entirely on how others view us rather than being willing to press forward and carry on due to respecting oneself- regardless of how others view us! 

Yes, I feel sorry that Miss Lopez got bummed over not getting an Oscar nomination . However,   she has good heath,  her children& family , a successful career and plenty of other positive things she could take comfort in (and draw self-respect from) rather than hinging her entire emotional outlook on whether or not she got a chance to take home a trophy.  I sincerely hope she has since come to realize that. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 11
21 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

If JLo has low self esteem, what hope is there for the rest of us? (be sure to watch the trailer for her documentary in the link)

https://dlisted.com/2022/05/19/in-her-new-netflix-documentary-halftime-jennifer-lopez-gets-emotional-after-finding-out-she-didnt-get-an-oscar-nomination-for-hustlers/#more-424110

J.Lo is a gorgeous, age-defying woman who's achieved international stardom. So yeah, if her self-esteem is low, there isn't hope for the rest of us.

Does she really have low self-esteem though? I don't know her personally, but my impression of her throughout the years is J.Lo actually has better self-esteem than most. When her curvy body type stood out in Hollywood, instead of giving into the pressure to be extremely thin, she knew she was sexy and owned her body type. When she was told she couldn't really sing, she made music anyway. She's done some good acting projects throughout the years (my fave is Selena) and didn't do a bad job in Hustlers, but it just wasn't a difficult role. I'm not sure why she expected an Oscar for that movie. When I think of low self-esteem, I think of someone who doesn't feel pretty enough as is, doesn't go for her dreams, doesn't feel worthy of the Oscar, etc. If her biggest dream in life is that trophy, I hope she gets one at some point, but she has so much going for her, hopefully she's happy with herself and her accomplishments. 

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm not sure why she expected an Oscar for that movie. When I think of low self-esteem, I think of someone who doesn't feel pretty enough as is, doesn't go for her dreams, doesn't feel worthy of the Oscar, etc. If her biggest dream in life is that trophy, I hope she gets one at some point, but she has so much going for her, hopefully she's happy with herself and her accomplishments. 

J LO is an OK actress.  Does she do Oscar caliber work?  I don't think so.  I don't even think Hustlers was her best role.   I thought she was a better actress in Out of Sight and Selena.  Maybe J LO doesn't want to be thought of as just another pretty face.  She has accomplished a lot in her life and I give her props for that.  She should concentrate on what she has done and not what she hasn't done.  

• Love 17
Just now, bluegirl147 said:

J LO is an OK actress.  Does she do Oscar caliber work?  I don't think so.  I don't even think Hustlers was her best role.   I thought she was a better actress in Out of Sight and Selena.  Maybe J LO doesn't want to be thought of as just another pretty face.  She has accomplished a lot in her life and I give her props for that.  She should concentrate on what she has done and not what she hasn't done.  

Agree. She should feel amazing for all she has even if she's not Meryl Streep. 

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:
On 5/19/2022 at 2:09 PM, GiveMeSpace said:

J.Lo is a gorgeous, age-defying woman who's achieved international stardom. So yeah, if her self-esteem is low, there isn't hope for the rest of us.

A couple of things. One, a lot of assumption and conjecture is being drawn off of what was essentially a minute and thirty seconds trailer for a documentary. There's certainly no proof that this will turn out to be the woeful tales of Jennifer Lopez. Two, every person, no matter WHO you are, unless you’re a megalomaniac, has moments of insecurities, That's just human nature. Which again brings me to the point that this was a short trailer where we may be seeing a moment in time versus J Lo having this intense low self-confidence. 

Three, I don't think it's fair for us to view celebrity issues through our "normal" lens if you will. What I mean is, I read statements like the above a lot, "wow, if so and so, who is so famous and beautiful is insecure, then there isn't hope for the rest of us." Well a big difference between you, me and others versus a celebrity is that we don't have millions of people commenting on and exacerbating whatever existing insecurities we may have. 

For example, if I put on some weight, my small circle of friends and family will notice and sure, maybe there's that one insensitive asshole in my life that may negatively comment on it. For a celebrity, imagine that one asshole being multiplied by millions. And suddenly, no matter how confident you are, it starts to play into your psyche, with millions casually going on about "how fat you've gotten."

The trailer particularly referenced the criticisms about J Lo's singing. I don't doubt for a second it's something she's developed insecurities about because J Lo has been DRAGGED by millions for YEARS regarding her singing. I know, because I've read it. She's been called out for not really singing on her records (don't ask me how true that is) and simply using her power and clout in the industry to take credit for others' work, her live singing has been continuously mocked, etc.

I know she's worked with a vocal coach for years to improve and there's a rumor that some years ago, the criticisms got to her enough for her to consider giving it up and focusing only on the acting. But apparently Marc Anthony convinced her to stick with it. So yeah, she's a beautiful, successful woman. But when millions of people tell you daily via the power of the internet and other media, how much you suck at something, you may start to believe it. 

4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

and didn't do a bad job in Hustlers, but it just wasn't a difficult role. I'm not sure why she expected an Oscar for that movie.

Well it's probably because all the pundits/critics told her she would. Well not the win but she was expected to be nominated. Remember Oscar season is long and there are many pre-awards, industry insiders, events, etc. that help shore up who gets a nomination. And J Lo was a lock on many people's prediction list that year.

Her not being nominated was considered a snub/surprise. So I can see why she was hurt over it. Did I think she deserved to be nominated, not really. But it didn't matter what I thought. All signs pointed to the fact that she was going to be and then, well, she wasn't.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

If Selena hadn't been murdered, I wonder if there ever would have been a "J-Lo."  I don't think so.

That's a great question. I often wonder where Selena would be now, had she lived. She was literally on the brink of going mainstream, in a huge way. 

• Love 7

Actor Austin St. John best known for playing the Red Ranger in The Power Rangers franchise has been charged with conspiracy to commit wire fraud related to the COVID-19 Paycheck Protection Program.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/power-rangers-austin-st-john-arrested-covid-ppp-wire-fraud-1235151324/

https://people.com/tv/red-power-ranger-austin-st-john-arrested-alleged-covid-fraud/

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/20/entertainment/jason-geiger-indicted/index.html

2 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Actor Austin St. John best known for playing the Red Ranger in The Power Rangers franchise has been charged with conspiracy to commit wire fraud related to the COVID-19 Paycheck Protection Program.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/power-rangers-austin-st-john-arrested-covid-ppp-wire-fraud-1235151324/

https://people.com/tv/red-power-ranger-austin-st-john-arrested-alleged-covid-fraud/

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/20/entertainment/jason-geiger-indicted/index.html

Great - he can trade in the Red Ranger suit for an orange jumpsuit!!

• LOL 20
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

J LO is an OK actress.  Does she do Oscar caliber work?  I don't think so.  I don't even think Hustlers was her best role.   I thought she was a better actress in Out of Sight and Selena.

I thought her chemistry with George Clooney in "Out of Sight" was just off the charts.  And she's done a lot more roles since then, so her acting has improved a bit.

But I see women like J-Lo, Christie Brinkley, Halle Berry, etc. as cautionary tales.  Even when you're gorgeous, talented, famous and have millions, you can still screw up romantic relationships, (How many marriages for each???) make bad decisions about your kids, say stupid stuff that's picked up by the media, and look like crap in front of the entire world.  That's why It's so ridiculous to put celebs on a pedestal.   

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Does she really have low self-esteem though? I don't know her personally, but my impression of her throughout the years is J.Lo actually has better self-esteem than most. When her curvy body type stood out in Hollywood, instead of giving into the pressure to be extremely thin, she knew she was sexy and owned her body type. When she was told she couldn't really sing, she made music anyway. She's done some good acting projects throughout the years (my fave is Selena) and didn't do a bad job in Hustlers, but it just wasn't a difficult role. I'm not sure why she expected an Oscar for that movie. When I think of low self-esteem, I think of someone who doesn't feel pretty enough as is, doesn't go for her dreams, doesn't feel worthy of the Oscar, etc. If her biggest dream in life is that trophy, I hope she gets one at some point, but she has so much going for her, hopefully she's happy with herself and her accomplishments. 

I think you’re putting too much emphasis and value on appearance. Being pretty isn’t an accomplishment 🤷‍♀️

• Love 18
9 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Three, I don't think it's fair for us to view celebrity issues through our "normal" lens if you will. What I mean is, I read statements like the above a lot, "wow, if so and so, who is so famous and beautiful is insecure, then there isn't hope for the rest of us." Well a big difference between you, me and others versus a celebrity is that we don't have millions of people commenting on and exacerbating whatever existing insecurities we may have. 

Exactly. I never understand why people make assumptions about celebrities personal lives based mostly on their looks & if they have talent. When Jlo & ARod (& hopefully I never have to type that ridiculous phrase again) broke up & everybody kept commenting on how ARod must feel terrible & what a big loss it was, I couldn't understand why everyone was making assumptions based solely on her looks & performance. She may be the best woman to her man in the world, or she may be the neediest, whiniest, self centered bitch in the world, & we have no way of knowing. People did the same thing with Rhianna & Drake when she first went public with ASAP Rocky. Drake must really feel bad about losing her, after all, it's Rhianna. So? I  don't know her, do you? I have no idea what she's like in private, & it just drives me crazy when people make the assumption that someone who looks good & is famous must automatically be a prize catch.

5 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I am not even a big J.Lo fan but think there would have been room for both J.Lo and Selena to exist. Their styles are vastly different.

It's not that there isn't room for both, JLo became famous for portraying Selena in the movie, If Selena wasn't murdered, there probably wouldn't have been a movie, & JLo might never have been heard from again.

• Love 15

Dave Chappelle Attacker Charged with Attempted Murder of Roommate

According to the D.A., Lee stabbed his roommate at a transitional housing apartment -- but the victim wasn't able to identify Lee as his attacker until he saw him in the media reports about the Chappelle incident. The victim had previously reported the attack to cops.

So, that whole story the guy came up with about how he did it to bring attention to his grandmother from Brooklyn, who had been forced out of her neighborhood due to gentrification was pure bullshit.

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Actor Austin St. John best known for playing the Red Ranger in The Power Rangers

Only the first Red Ranger.  There's been a couple dozen Red Rangers or so since him.

But not the first Red Ranger with major legal troubles,  A few years ago, a different one went to prison for killing his roommate with a samurai sword.  He pled guilty to voluntary manslaughter, as he claimed he was acting in self-defense.  Sentence was six years, so he should released fairly soon.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/former-power-ranger-pleads-guilty-to-killing-roommate-with-samurai-sword-122740/

Edited by SVNBob
math
8 hours ago, GaT said:

It's not that there isn't room for both, JLo became famous for portraying Selena in the movie, If Selena wasn't murdered, there probably wouldn't have been a movie, & JLo might never have been heard from again.

Fair, but Jenifer Lopez was already getting recognition before Selena. Mainly as a dancer within the hip hop world. I think she always had her eyes set on something bigger. Whether we believe she can act or not, I think she does have charisma. It may have taken her longer to get where she is today but she would have still been famous today (I think).

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
(edited)
10 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I think you’re putting too much emphasis and value on appearance. Being pretty isn’t an accomplishment 🤷‍♀️

It is also not an insulator to self-esteem deficit.  It could in fact exacerbate the problem.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Fair, but Jenifer Lopez was already getting recognition before Selena. Mainly as a dancer within the hip hop world. I think she always had her eyes set on something bigger. Whether we believe she can act or not, I think she does have charisma. It may have taken her longer to get where she is today but she would have still been famous today (I think).

J-Lo also did Anaconda that same year, which was a schlocky horror action movie but it was fairly popular. I’m pretty sure the Selena movie wasn’t the only thing that got her career moving.

• Love 11
(edited)
11 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Being pretty naturally isn't of course but in show business maintaining pretty can be a full-time job.  I actually feel sorry for celebrities who have to constantly keep their looks - along with not being allowed to show their real age (heaven forfend!) they aren't allowed to go anywhere without the full hair, make-up, designer nails etc.   And of course carrying an extra pound or two - yikes. Frankly, it sounds exhausting to me.

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 19
2 hours ago, SusanM said:

Being pretty naturally isn't of course but in show business maintaining pretty can be a full-time job.  I actually feel sorry for celebrities who have to constantly keep their looks - along with not being allowed to show their real age (heaven forfend!) they aren't allowed to go anywhere without the full hair, make-up, designer nails etc.   And of course carrying an extra pound or two - yikes. Frankly, it sounds exhausting to me.

One thing I've thought about regarding J.Lo specifically is she's known to not really age. She must feel tremendous pressure to not get a wrinkle. That has to suck. 

• Love 9

Internet culture reporter Brian Feldman’s newsletter BNet [has] published an in-depth investigation uncovering the probable identities of DeuxMoi’s anonymous founder-moderators. 

[...] A couple of girlies who at least at one point worked in fashion: Meggie Kempner, granddaughter of a famed socialite, appears to have founded it with Melissa Lovallo, who allegedly still runs it. 

Feldman cracked the code through entirely publicly available information, rummaging through years of posts and tags on social media, and finding an old YouTube video of the two of them in a pretty weak “disguise.” Because DeuxMoi began as a fashion blog in 2013, there was a ton of this sort of information out there just waiting to be compiled. Even so, Feldman had to fill his article with disclaimers that what he is doing is not doxing, because he only pieced together public, basic information like names and professions, and that because DeuxMoi is a public figure with increasing influence, it’s a matter of public interest to know who’s running the thing.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/05/deuxmoi-identity-revealed.html

I don't pay that much attention to DeuxMoi but don't they just repost blind items from anonymous submissions?

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

One thing I've thought about regarding J.Lo specifically is she's known to not really age. She must feel tremendous pressure to not get a wrinkle. That has to suck. 

I can't imagine having to live under that pressure. Also, being so known for your looks/body (yes, she's known for singing, dancing, etc, but in Hollywood, most women who are in any way attractive, they are basically treated as if their looks are the most important thing) would, I think, make a person less self confident, especially as they age and those looks and that body change. 

I would never want to be famous for a number of reasons, but being female, the fact that I would be constantly judged for my appearance is high on the list. 

• Love 12

Are these stunts funny or creepy?

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/charlotte-jolley-adam-sandler-billboards-hollywood

When Jolley refers to “the process,” she means the long-term effort to make herself known to Sandler, which began in August 2021, with the storyboarding of a fan video. In the final product, she can be seen dressed up as various iconic Sandler characters from movies including The Wedding Singer and The Waterboy, as well as Sandler himself, in typically oversized cargo shorts and a Superman T-shirt. She’s on the Walk of Fame with a sign encouraging drivers to honk if they love Sandler. 

[...] A second video she made includes personal endorsements from many of them. She even pulled together a crew to visit high-traffic areas in L.A. to hand out flyers with a QR code that brought up the link to her YouTube page. [...] At one point on a job she learned that someone from Happy Madison would be dropping in, “so I compiled this whole letter all day,” she says, only to miss her opportunity to hand it off. She was also rebuffed at the Netflix offices, where she showed up in business casual attire, QR code flyer in hand. “I think they thought I was trying to be an actress and cheat the system,” she tells me.

[...] Back on the mainland, Jolley designed and launched her new round of advertising, five billboards throughout West Hollywood that feature her winking face and a confident promise: “Adam Sandler, I’m going to work for you.” They’ve been up for two weeks, and she’s pleased by the analytics on how many people are visiting her website, AdamHireCharlotte.com, reading her story and watching her videos — thousands of visitors in all. 

11 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I can't imagine having to live under that pressure. Also, being so known for your looks/body (yes, she's known for singing, dancing, etc, but in Hollywood, most women who are in any way attractive, they are basically treated as if their looks are the most important thing) would, I think, make a person less self confident, especially as they age and those looks and that body change. 

I would never want to be famous for a number of reasons, but being female, the fact that I would be constantly judged for my appearance is high on the list. 

Oh for sure, listen, I get all this as someone who's not J.Lo. Men find me attractive, but I have issues with what I look like, and I know I'd care less about my scars and various flaws if I weren't considered a "pretty girl." I feel more pressure to look good without makeup and naked than I would if they didn't approach me due to my looks. I could go into more detail about how it's messed with my self-esteem and life, but don't want to get too OT. I can't imagine the pressure of being a Hollywood beauty/sex symbol. I'm very grateful to not be in front of the cameras or even a celebrity. Being watched so closely in general (not just your looks) seems like a pain in the butt. 

You're also kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't regarding getting work done. I've felt this as a regular person, but I know it's worse in Hollywood. 

My greater point is J.Lo has a lot going for her, and she is a hustler (no pun intended). A lot of her success is due to her hard work, but there's also been the luck factor. I hope she's grateful for all she has because there are so many people who can sing and act their asses off and haven't had a fraction of the opportunities/success she's had. If I were her I'd enjoy my millions and not care one bit if I got an Oscar. That's just me though. I also may look at all this differently as someone who has serious issues with self-esteem and has actor friends who are super talented but never got a break or lacked confidence to pursue their dreams further. Hopefully that snippet is just a snippet and she knows how fortunate she is. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Hopefully that snippet is just a snippet and she knows how fortunate she is. 

I'm sure it is. She might have been having a rough day, she might have been tired or jet lagged, she might have been joking for all we know. The press/media can take what a celeb says and edit it down to make it what they want it to be. That, to me, is scary. 

For all the their money, for all the fan adulation, and even though they get to do what many would consider a dream job, celebs are really just puppets whose strings are pulled by their fans, the media, the internet. 

(ooh, I'm jaded today lol)

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I'm sure it is. She might have been having a rough day, she might have been tired or jet lagged, she might have been joking for all we know. The press/media can take what a celeb says and edit it down to make it what they want it to be. That, to me, is scary. 

For all the their money, for all the fan adulation, and even though they get to do what many would consider a dream job, celebs are really just puppets whose strings are pulled by their fans, the media, the internet. 

(ooh, I'm jaded today lol)

And they have the added burden of never really knowing who they can trust.  Even life-long friends & family members can turn on these folks. 

I do believe they have most of the same fundamental problems we do.  They just have nicer possessions, and somebody else cleaning their toilets while they worry about their health, keeping their kids out of jail and if it's all going to go away in an instant.....

• Love 7
(edited)
18 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Neither is being smart, or musically talented, athletic, or being born with wealth.  It's what is done with those gifts that can be admired.  Jo Lo was born with physical beauty, but it is pretty obvious that she realized that her looks could be an asset in her chosen field and she's worked hard at maintaining and enhancing them to her benefit in her chosen field of endeavor.  There's nothing wrong with admiiring her looks on that basis.

Edited by Notabug
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:
6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I'm going with creepy.

Creepy and a bit desperate. YIKES!

Sadly, this is what the world is coming to. You have to make everything you do some public spectacle now. Just another wannabee desperate for attention. She's luckier than most in that she seems to have a lot of money to waste on her bid for attention. I wish I could go decompress in Hawaii, or decompress anywhere other than my couch. 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Creepy and a bit desperate. YIKES!

Sadly, this is what the world is coming to. You have to make everything you do some public spectacle now. Just another wannabee desperate for attention. She's luckier than most in that she seems to have a lot of money to waste on her bid for attention. I wish I could go decompress in Hawaii, or decompress anywhere other than my couch. 

Creepy, Desperate and Entitled!

I am not seeing where she has done anything funny.  She's acting more like a stalker.  

Edited by Macbeth1966
  • Love 6

As TheGrio previously reported, Perry at first called out the actress for her tactic. Sharing a picture of the billboard, he wrote in the post, “Auhhh…. soooooo…… here’s the deal. This is not the way to get my attention if you’re looking for a role in one of my shows. Please DON’T DO THIS, SAVE YOUR MONEY!! This is the third time that someone has done this. PLEASE STOP! To audition is FREE!! I’m sure you can use that money for a better purpose.”

Still, he encouraged the actress at the end of his caption, writing, “And by the way, you were great in THE NIGHT OF! It was my favorite show a couple years ago. I ALREADY SAW YOU!! So just audition and keep your money!! Again, I appreciate your effort, but that’s not the way to work for me. God bless you dreamer. I have no doubt you will make it one day!!”

Well, it doesn't sound like it went the way she wanted.

13 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Well, it doesn't sound like it went the way she wanted.

She's a lead in a series he's producing.

Palmer shared in her interview, “I’m a lead on his new show which is called All the Queens Men that comes out September 9th.” Led by Eva Marcille as Madam, All the Queens Men will premiere on BET + and centers around a male exotic dance club.

9 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Back in 2010 I attended a Letterman taping where Jennifer Lopez was the guest. I have never been a fan of hers but one thing that really shocked me was how she is even more attractive in person than she is on screen. Now if your a person where big components of your job are being on screens and being attractive, that would absolutely mess with your head.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

She's a lead in a series he's producing.

He didn't seem to approve. And she still had to audition for that show and the other one. And granted, I haven't seen the show but the "lead" role of "head of security" seems like a reach compared to the "leading lady" she wanted to be. 

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

And granted, I haven't seen the show but the "lead" role of "head of security" seems like a reach compared to the "leading lady" she wanted to be. 

Why would the character being the head of security mean that it is not a lead role?

I remember a lot of the attention early in JLo's career being focused on her ass. And I think it's perfectly okay to be bummed about not getting an Oscar nomination when so many people, including well-respected critics, were talking up the possibility.

• Love 14

Why would the character being the head of security mean that it is not a lead role?

Because at best, she sounds like a sidekick. You can have a recurring role and be in the main cast and still have a supporting role if it's not an ensemble show. 

Anyway, it seems like the kind of job she would have gotten anyway from auditioning and that, thankfully, the billboards just didn't put him off of hiring her.

• Love 2

I remember when Bradley Cooper was being talked up by everybody and expected to get the Oscar nom for best director for A Star Is Born.  And when he didn't get it he said he was 'embarrassed.'

I do think there is a bit of divide between critics lauding something and the collective Hollywood establishment wanting to give you your props on the big stage for something. 

I get the same deal with J.Lo.  They may see her as a competent lightweight actor but not enough weight to want to reward her with an Oscar.

Also, she did majorly drag some other actresses dissing them on the very things she herself can be dinged for.  She called  Cameron Diaz a 'lucky model' and claiming Gwyneth Paltrow got 'hot by association.' And those are just the things she said in a public  interview, according to people like Rosie Perez and Jamie Foxx she was not liked even as early days on In Living Color.  So who knows what bridges she burned early on that she can't rebuild.  Oscars, as we know, are as much about personal stuff as they are about performance.

• Useful 15
  • Love 8
(edited)
20 hours ago, Notabug said:

Neither is being smart, or musically talented, athletic, or being born with wealth.  It's what is done with those gifts that can be admired.  Jo Lo was born with physical beauty, but it is pretty obvious that she realized that her looks could be an asset in her chosen field and she's worked hard at maintaining and enhancing them to her benefit in her chosen field of endeavor.  There's nothing wrong with admiiring her looks on that basis.

Exactly. J.Lo was born with beauty, but has worked very hard to make the best of it (doesn't even consume caffeine) and has marketed herself as a sex symbol. There are singers like Adele who happen to be beautiful, but that's different imo. She is first and foremost a vocalist, not a showgirl. 

33 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I remember when Bradley Cooper was being talked up by everybody and expected to get the Oscar nom for best director for A Star Is Born.  And when he didn't get it he said he was 'embarrassed.'

I do think there is a bit of divide between critics lauding something and the collective Hollywood establishment wanting to give you your props on the big stage for something. 

I get the same deal with J.Lo.  They may see her as a competent lightweight actor but not enough weight to want to reward her with an Oscar.

Also, she did majorly drag some other actresses dissing them on the very things she herself can be dinged for.  She called  Cameron Diaz a 'lucky model' and claiming Gwyneth Paltrow got 'hot by association.' And those are just the things she said in a public  interview, according to people like Rosie Perez and Jamie Foxx she was not liked even as early days on In Living Color.  So who knows what bridges she burned early on that she can't rebuild.  Oscars, as we know, are as much about personal stuff as they are about performance.

I at least get the Oscar buzz around A Star Is Born. Loved the movie, and both Bradley and Gaga had demanding roles they were amazing in. Those two can both really sing AND really act imo. An acting teacher of mine (no one in Hollywood establishment) even saw Oscar buzz with that film.

Yeah, I remember that infamous interview and different comments she's made throughout the years. Stuff like that is why I don't think low self-esteem when I think of her. To me she always came across like she thought she was more worthy than others. She's had projects like Selena, but in general when she gets people talking it's been her ass, Diddy, tits falling out of her dresses, Ben Affleck, etc. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 7

I know most people in this forum can't stand him, but.........

Was this the best kept secret in Hollywood because I don't remember seeing a think about Katherine being pregnant again.  I give him, his ex and Katherine props for good names:  Jack, Lyla and Eloise. 

• Love 9

Ok, I need someone to tell me why Chris Pratt gets so much hate.  Like, I know about the flashing thing on Parks and Rec and how he's a shit for still thinking it's cute and funny, but that doesn't explain all of the hate.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Ok, I need someone to tell me why Chris Pratt gets so much hate.  Like, I know about the flashing thing on Parks and Rec and how he's a shit for still thinking it's cute and funny, but that doesn't explain all of the hate.

Honestly, I can see through his supposed humor in his Instagram posts to see the toxic Christianity he practices.  This whole post reads like something the Duggars would post

image.png.b6d1047d9f1466d75bf29d5ef05db9ad.png

• Useful 5
  • Love 11