Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Wake Up Call

• Start Topic

Tammy and Amy blame each other for their issues in therapy. When Tammy gets devastating news from Dr. Procter, her brother Chris makes a life-altering decision. A very pregnant Amy can't stop overeating, and the results are disastrous. 

We have early video of their therapy in action:

Oh wait, that's the name game, not the blame game.  Sorry!

Time for therapy for Amy and Tammy.  Chris will also work with Tammy.  While he's at it, he might drop a pound or two hundred. 

Original air date 2020.01.18

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

I can't think of a thing lonelier than trying to lose weight in a family full of fatties.

Add to that, your fatty sister is getting much more attention because she's pregnant. 

Tammy needs to see this as her time to be the star of the weight loss journey. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

The more we see of the Slatons the more I actually feel for them.  They started as clowns trying to hide behind juvenile humor.  Now we see people struggling with food addiction who are trying yo both heal and harm themselves by overeating.  It is a long road for them to get healthier both physically and mentally. 

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The more we see of the Slatons the more I actually feel for them.  They started as clowns trying to hide behind juvenile humor.  Now we see people struggling with food addiction who are trying yo both heal and harm themselves by overeating.  It is a long road for them to get healthier both physically and mentally. 

They're textbook examples of how a toxic childhood can effect you long after childhood is over. Both of them saying they were taught to simply toughen up when something upset them and that it was wrong to show emotion played a hand in what we see today. I can definitely see how they turned to food to comfort them for emotions they weren't allowed to physically/verbally express. I felt a little sad when Amy said she was embarrassed over how they acted in therapy -- IMO, there wasn't anything to be embarrassed about, but when you've spent your whole life being  silenced emotionally, finally being able to express them can seem wrong.

• Love 12

It's shocking to see their sizes relative to each other when the three siblings are on the couch together.  Amy looks like she's average size compared to the other two, and she's still in the 300 pound range.  It's shocking but Tammy keeps getting bigger and bigger.  I think on next week's episode:

Spoiler

She will be closer to 650 pounds, if not more.  

• Love 2

Was that a one and done for therapy or were they referred to someone closer? You can’t travel 8 hours just for therapy. I mean I guess you could, but I doubt it’s sustainable. 

I really like the brother. I hope he is successful. 

Edited by DanaMB
  • Love 15

Why does Chris act as if he's just slightly overweight?  I realize he said he was the size of two men, but he seems to be oblivious to just how huge he is most of the time. I really wonder if all three of them have a distorted view of how they really are.  It's as if they are under a delusion.  I'm not sure how you get through, but if they are still in denial after being on tv for this long.......I can't see it happening.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

I think it was a one and done.  Therapy is hard and it can be very painful, especially when you have to face your past and essentially relive it.  I can see why both are very resistant but if they can't address their past trauma, they won't be able to address their food addiction either.  Making each other out to be the bad guy doesn't help, shutting down gets you nowhere fast and really I think they would be better off starting out with individual therapy. 

It's so easy for them to play the blame game.  I think Amy has a kindness to her and just doesn't want her sister to hurt, and Tammy has a real nasty streak of resentment and jealousy.  I tend to think Amy dotes on Tammy because she feels guilty about the things she has that Tammy doesn't.  They're both stubborn though and need to accept that the mental health piece is the primary hurdle they need to overcome. 

• Love 17

I'm glad Dr. Proctor cut them loose. First Amy eats solid food shortly after her surgery, when she was explicitly warned not to. Then she gets pregnant after being told to wait two years.

And judging by the amount of food she's shown eating, it looks like she's already managed to stretch out her pouch. 

Then Tammy loses what? 50 or 60 pounds? And gains it all right back.

Why should a doctor waste their time with patients who are totally non-compliant?

On a completely different topic, was anyone else bothered by the "We've all been tested and we're negative, so we can take off our masks"?

1. All of the COVID-19 tests have a false negative rate.

2. You may test negative even when infected if your viral load isn't detectable by a test at that time. 

Which means a negative test doesn't mean it's safe to remove your mask or ignore social distancing.

Both Dr. Proctor and the therapist should know that.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 20
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Why does Chris act as if he's just slightly overweight?  I realize he said he was the size of two men, but he seems to be oblivious to just how huge he is most of the time. I really wonder if all three of them have a distorted view of how they really are.  It's as if they are under a delusion.  I'm not sure how you get through, but if they are still in denial after being on tv for this long.......I can't see it happening.  

Mileage may very but I don't think he believes he's just slightly overweight, I think he's aware of how big he is, I just think he tries to make Tammy see there is a difference between them whenever she starts in with "but you" or "but Amy" because there is a difference between them.  Chris is still mobile while Tammy can't even make it to the mailbox without coming close to needing someone to call 911. I sort of appreciate that Chris, while admitting his issues, also keeps it real with Tammy by letting her know there's a difference here and she needs to see that.

• Love 20

I’m not sure I really believe that family members give in to their loved ones due to fear of angering them, when it comes to bringing them junk food.  When you are providing a super morbidly obese person poison, so to speak, how do you honestly continue with it with that excuse?   So what if they get angry?   It sort of insults my intelligence.    

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5

I think they could probably relate better to a therapist who has had the surgical weight loss journey and been successful. The therapist they saw was very good, trying to validate their feelings (especially Tammy's), and she said she specializes in bariatric patients which is great, but I kind of figured from the start they wouldn't form a connection with her.

• Useful 3
On 1/19/2021 at 9:36 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m not sure I really believe that family members give in to their loved ones due to fear of angering them, when it comes to bringing them junk food.  When you are providing a super morbidly obese person poison, so to speak, how do you honestly continue with it with that excuse?   So what if they get angry?   It sort of insults my intelligence.    

I believe examples like Tammy threatening to call the cops if Amy doesn't bring her what she wants (because it's her money, etc).  We've seen Tammy's anger issues in action, especially in S1.  Amy has her own food addiction and weight problem, and a lot of the time they eat together.  Co-dependence and guilt are why Amy gives in, and from a mental health perspective, she doesn't quite have the fortitude to be capable of otherwise.

Edited by RedDelicious
clarity
  • Love 14
On 1/18/2021 at 12:47 PM, Brooklynista said:

I do hope Chris is a helpfully presence for Tammy. A lot of her miserable attitude is probably lonliness and I can't think of a thing lonelier than trying to lose weight in a family full of fatties.

i was determined not to watch this season but couldn't figure out how to remove it from my dvr queue.  Last night I decided to take a peek.  Didn't Tammy supposedly have an on-line "boyfriend" at the end of last season?  Unfortunately, anyone attracted to her would probably be more interested in keeping her at her current weight than encouraging her weight loss. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone recall if Amy got the sleeve or the regular bypass. 

She has said that she had a bypass.  I don't recall what the doctor said. That is the more extreme surgery and leaves her with a very small pouch for a stomach.  It seems she is eating to a point that she puts herself in physical pain.  

• Love 3

I noticed that a lot of the time they refer to the surgery as bypass, but, there are different types. Some time ago, Dr. Now started doing mainly gastric sleeve. I think there is less risks with that than the full bypass, however, for some patients, it seems their drive to eat overcomes the benefits of the sleeve.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/18/2021 at 12:47 PM, Brooklynista said:

I do hope Chris is a helpfully presence for Tammy. A lot of her miserable attitude is probably lonliness and I can't think of a thing lonelier than trying to lose weight in a family full of fatties.

Plus I think it's clear that both of these sisters adore Chris (what's not to love), and the idea of doing a "project" with him makes Tammy happier than she's been in a while.  Tammy and Amy are really too competitive (and Amy, starting out with the advantages of being lighter and having a husband) for them to be able really to help each other.

• Love 4
On 1/18/2021 at 10:23 PM, WhitneyWhit said:

They're textbook examples of how a toxic childhood can effect you long after childhood is over. Both of them saying they were taught to simply toughen up when something upset them and that it was wrong to show emotion played a hand in what we see today. I can definitely see how they turned to food to comfort them for emotions they weren't allowed to physically/verbally express. I felt a little sad when Amy said she was embarrassed over how they acted in therapy -- IMO, there wasn't anything to be embarrassed about, but when you've spent your whole life being  silenced emotionally, finally being able to express them can seem wrong.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:07 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The more we see of the Slatons the more I actually feel for them.  They started as clowns trying to hide behind juvenile humor. 

16 hours ago, seasons said:

I think they could probably relate better to a therapist who has had the surgical weight loss journey and been successful. The therapist they saw was very good, trying to validate their feelings (especially Tammy's), and she said she specializes in bariatric patients which is great, but I kind of figured from the start they wouldn't form a connection with her.

18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

their childhood seems awful.  Chris mentioned going to bed hungry because they were poor, and the sisters--especially Amy- feel that their feelings were ignored.  So they were starved both physically and emotionally.  They try to fill the emptiness and ease their pain by overeating.  They are crass, but I think Amy and Chris are basically decent humans.  Maybe Tammy, too, if she can get enough therapy.  Since Dr Proctor has dismissed Tammy as a patient it  would make more sense to have the doctor she is referred to in Kentucky select a therapist.  At least this therapist is on record for saying Tammy is not yet ready for surgery which is something all us viewers could have told her. I did not understand the one time visit to the therapist in Atlanta.   the ramp looked unusually steep, but I figure part of that must be the camera angle as there are specific standards for ramps.  And it would be awfully hard to push Tammy up the ramp.  If I were a therapist who specialized in bariatric patients, I would want a more accessible office.  On the other hand, probably most of her patients are ambulatory.

On the 600PL episodes, we usually hear the enabler saying that there are anger issues when the requested food does not appear or is late.  I think people get worn out by the obese patient and just give in because who likes being yelled at or cursed at. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Plus I think it's clear that both of these sisters adore Chris (what's not to love), and the idea of doing a "project" with him makes Tammy happier than she's been in a while.  Tammy and Amy are really too competitive (and Amy, starting out with the advantages of being lighter and having a husband) for them to be able really to help each other.

(I didn't mean to quote myself; I meant to edit my post to add something.  Totally inept.)

About Tammy not seeming to realize that there's a big difference between her size and Chris's:  Lots of times fat people really don't have an idea of how big they are in comparison to other people.  When I was obese, I would ask my husband if I were as big as any random fat person we saw on the street.

I wonder if Tammy has some sort of body dysmorphia, if she really can't see how very, very big she is.  When I see her jowls hanging down over her neckline, I just want to cry.  I wish Dr. Procter had put her in the hospital (I think Dr. Now would have) and forced her to lose a couple of hundred pounds just so she wouldn't keel over in the next month or so.  She is desperately in need of life-saving help, and the WLS isn't going to work fast enough (if it works at all for her; I'm not optimistic) to help her where she is right now.

• Love 9

Tammy is the type of patient that I would like to help if I were to ever win a large lottery.  I really would like to give back to the community and provide a place that super morbidly obese people can come and get a life changing experience.  FREE  or reduced costs for those who can't afford it, but, WANT IT.  It would be set up like a campus.  It would provide health care, dental care, education, mental health evaluation and treatment, exercise programs, social activities, life skill training, spiritual guidance, surgery if recommended, support, kindness and the truth about life and their situation.  The expected time living on campus and successfully reaching your goals would be at least one year.  It's the only thing that I think some people would be able to respond to. 

• Love 19

I keep reminding myself that Tammy is an addict and it's the addiction that's causing her to lash out at family, esp. Amy, but I just have to say,  hot damn, Tammy is not a pleasant person!

I have no trouble believing Tammy has burned all her bridges as Amy stated. I would never be able to put up with all her b.s. and verbal abuse on a daily basis. The fact that Tammy still has anyone willing to help her after the way she treats them is amazing to me. I do notice that while Tammy is quick to lash out at Amy she won't mouth off to Chris. It will be interesting to see if he can help her. 

In my trying to be a compassionate human being, I hope Tammy can turn her life around and live a happy productive life. But to be honest I'm not so sure I really care anymore.

• Love 9

Tammy does seem very demanding and short tempered.  Not that it justifies it, but I can't imagine how miserable you would feel in a body that is so unhealthy.  She must be in constant pain and misery.  How can your organs work properly with all the fat that encases them?  I really can't imagine it.  But, still, she continues to gain weight.  This is why I wonder if inpatient care would help her get down at least 100 pounds over a relatively short time.  Of course, what happens when she leaves the facility?  Without incentive to avoid that huge daily caloric intake, I'm not sure how she will ever survive.  It's sad.  I hope things are better for her than it appears on the show.  

I still think it might help some if her family stopped providing her anything.  Let her apply for assistance and the county/state services take over her case management.  They are not involved in her addiction and would not be invested in the emotional turmoil of her demands.  That way her family can get out from under the burden of being her caretaker.  With Tammy's current state, the county/state might consider placing her in an assisted living facility.....which might be a good option. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

still think it might help some if her family stopped providing her anything.  Let her apply for assistance and the county/state services take over her case management

Good point. However, these 2 women know how to make money doing YouTube videos. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Yeah, they probably make more money doing the show than anything else they could do.  But, it still makes wonder if Tammy is able to manage her own healthcare and household.  She is not able to take care of her needs according to what we see on the show.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I still think it might help some if her family stopped providing her anything.  Let her apply for assistance and the county/state services take over her case management.  They are not involved in her addiction and would not be invested in the emotional turmoil of her demands.  That way her family can get out from under the burden of being her caretaker.  With Tammy's current state, the county/state might consider placing her in an assisted living facility.....which might be a good option. 

Why on earth should it be the burden of the tax payer when she isn't a threat to society and her problem is entirely of her own actions and the actions of her family?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, RedDelicious said:

Why on earth should it be the burden of the tax payer when she isn't a threat to society and her problem is entirely of her own actions and the actions of her family?

I’m not suggesting that they provide for her financially, unless she qualifies. She likely makes too much money to qualify for public assistance, but she may be deemed incompetent to manage her healthcare and her household.  It could be considered self neglect.  In that case a person or agency is appointed to make those arrangements on her behalf.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Why on earth should it be the burden of the tax payer

It SHOULDN'T be. So many (NOT ALL) people in this country are approved for SSI and SSDI and are perfectly capable of sitting on a chair/answering calls doing customer service.

Maybe Tammy doing something called a real job might give her some self worth and a legitimate income. Customer service call centers are a great way to meet people and learn alot about life. Lots of nice folks call in, and some a-holes but Tammy seems like a very calm person. She might do well as a CSR.

I'm actually liking Tammy more than Amy. Tammy has a longer road ahead but at least she's making legitimate mistakes (still over eating) as opposed to Amy who has already used the free weight loss surgery to get pregnant. Now Amy has crossed the line by bringing in an innocent child who will be raised by a bunch of  dysfunctional selfish morons. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 2
On 1/20/2021 at 4:34 PM, Mothra said:

.  I wish Dr. Procter had put her in the hospital (I think Dr. Now would have) and forced her to lose a couple of hundred pounds just so she wouldn't keel over in the next month or so. 

I think Dr.Now has a big financial stake in his hospital, so can put people in the hospital and absorb the costs, but thinking of my own hospital experiences, and how when a family member is discharged, they mean NOW, and person is wheeled down to the lobby immediately.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Tammy would need a medical condition that qualified her for a hospital stay.  While she has many issues, her conditions seem to be manageable at home.  When Dr. Now has admitted people, there is a qualifying health condition - leaking lymphedemas, open wounds that won't heal, etc. Obesity is not enough.  And, as @SunnyBeBe said, this is during the pandemic.  It is that much harder to be admitted.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I'm finally getting around to watching this episode. Amy and Tammy should not be in the therapy session together. They start blaming each other like they always do. I do like the therapist. Because I'm shallow, I like seeing Dr. Proctor. Fans self.

I kind of like Chris. He seems supportive (sometimes literally) and I hope he takes care of himself too.

I love eggplant parmesan, but with all of the cheese I wouldn't consider it a diet food.

• Love 12

These 2 women have such a dysfunctional relationship. So much love, but hate too. Tammy better turn it around, the clock is ticking, and Amy,  everything you eat goes straight to your child. If you don't care about yourself at least care for him. Question, are these 2 women as dumb as they seem or is this an act for their youtube channel?

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 4

They don’t see themselves as big as they are.  They go nowhere, interact with no one of a normal weight. The see Chris as a normal size person when he’s at least 150+lbs overweight. Their mother is very overweight.    I’m sure they have a distorted view of themselves the same as a thin girl with dysmorphic issues has. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 1/21/2021 at 4:56 PM, RedDelicious said:

I wonder whether it would be cheaper to support her everyday life--say, get her a caregiver who could *try* to manage her food intake--than to take care her of when she gains so much more weight that she has to be taken to the ER every week because another organ is failing?  Dialysis is really expensive, I hear.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Mothra said:

I wonder whether it would be cheaper to support her everyday life--say, get her a caregiver who could *try* to manage her food intake--than to take care her of when she gains so much more weight that she has to be taken to the ER every week because another organ is failing?  Dialysis is really expensive, I hear.

Regardless, it shouldn’t be the burden of the taxpayer. Tammy did this to herself and she has not demonstrated that she wants it badly enough to do the things she needs to do to get better. Besides I can’t imagine Tammy allowing anyone to control what she eats, especially since she tried to get Amy picked up for not getting her the food she wanted. She would go around any caregiver/in-patient situation and figure out a way to get delivery out of spite. 

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 2
On 1/20/2021 at 3:34 PM, Mothra said:

(I didn't mean to quote myself; I meant to edit my post to add something.  Totally inept.)

About Tammy not seeming to realize that there's a big difference between her size and Chris's:  Lots of times fat people really don't have an idea of how big they are in comparison to other people.  When I was obese, I would ask my husband if I were as big as any random fat person we saw on the street.

I wonder if Tammy has some sort of body dysmorphia, if she really can't see how very, very big she is.  When I see her jowls hanging down over her neckline, I just want to cry.  I wish Dr. Procter had put her in the hospital (I think Dr. Now would have) and forced her to lose a couple of hundred pounds just so she wouldn't keel over in the next month or so.  She is desperately in need of life-saving help, and the WLS isn't going to work fast enough (if it works at all for her; I'm not optimistic) to help her where she is right now.

This is so true! I'm always asking people how big I am compared to random people on the street. I KNOW I'm obese, but I don't FEEL obese.  And honestly, when I catch a glimpse of myself in a reflection on a window or something, I am usually surprised at how big I really am. It's hard to believe.  And I hate taking pictures, especially next to others, because it looks like I was photoshopped onto the picture. I look not just fat, but BIG. I look like that giant from Harry Potter. In my everyday life, I am mobile and have worked my whole life, it just doesn't feel like that.

Edited by HoneyBeach
  • Love 11
On 1/25/2021 at 9:50 AM, HoneyBeach said:

And honestly, when I catch a glimpse of myself in a reflection on a window or something, I am usually surprised at how big I really am. It's hard to believe

I understand what you're saying however, I find that reflections in a window or just real mirrors can make me appear many different sizes.  I was a very fat kid growing up and lost lots of weight in my teens. I think I will always see myself as fat even though I'm not anymore.

Fortunately I'll never know what it's like to live in the body that Tammy lives in. I feel sad for her. I don't think she cares enough to fight for her health and her future. She seems like she has given up. 

• Love 4
On 1/19/2021 at 12:25 PM, RedDelicious said:

I think Amy has a kindness to her and just doesn't want her sister to hurt, and Tammy has a real nasty streak of resentment and jealousy.  I tend to think Amy dotes on Tammy because she feels guilty... 

I believe there's a lot more dysfunction in this family than we are even seeing. There is no way Chinese food makes you phone people and say outrageous things. I think there's abuse issues and addiction issues and it may not just be food. Just saying...

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Chalby said:

I believe there's a lot more dysfunction in this family than we are even seeing. There is no way Chinese food makes you phone people and say outrageous things. I think there's abuse issues and addiction issues and it may not just be food. Just saying...

I agree 100% although I thought the outrageous things might be a panic attack talking....and I am a total trash human bc I kind of thought hearing her voice through the phone was a little bit funny 😁 I'm too young to dahhhhhh!!

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I agree 100% although I thought the outrageous things might be a panic attack talking....and I am a total trash human bc I kind of thought hearing her voice through the phone was a little bit funny 😁 I'm too young to dahhhhhh!!

Great post, and I must be trash as well because I thought she was joking when she was wailing "I'm too young to dieeeeeee". I have panic attacks but they don't make me think my sibling is in hospital on life support.

• Love 1
On 2/5/2021 at 7:57 PM, chenoa333 said:

fortunately I'll never know what it's like to live in the body that Tammy lives in. I feel sad for her. I don't think she cares enough to fight for her health and her future. She seems like she has given up. 

I feel bad for Tammy because it's such a hard road ahead of her and it's hard to attempt to break an addiction, no matter who you are. As well, her size is partly due to genetics, so she's inherently set up to fail, and will need to work much harder than others. I would love to know who's enabling Tammy by dropping off junk food. She needs to rewire her thinking so she doesn't view dieting as negative. She needs focus on activity vs consumption. As soon as my friend understood  she could eat whatever she wanted IF she was equally as active, she began to lose weight. The path she is presently on is one of denial, negativity and punishment. Not good for an emotional eater.

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Chalby said:

The Chinese food could totally have led to her delusions if she had dumping syndrome, where one of the results is hypoglycemia.  Hypoglycemia and/or electrolyte disorders can lead to severe confusion from lack of glucose to the brain.

• Neuroglycopenia is a shortage of glucose (glycopenia) in the brain, usually due to hypoglycemia. Glycopenia affects the function of neurons, and alters brain function and behavior.
  • Useful 1
On 1/21/2021 at 7:09 PM, chenoa333 said:

It SHOULDN'T be. So many (NOT ALL) people in this country are approved for SSI and SSDI and are perfectly capable of sitting on a chair/answering calls doing customer service.

Maybe Tammy doing something called a real job might give her some self worth and a legitimate income. Customer service call centers are a great way to meet people and learn alot about life. Lots of nice folks call in, and some a-holes but Tammy seems like a very calm person. She might do well as a CSR.

I'm actually liking Tammy more than Amy. Tammy has a longer road ahead but at least she's making legitimate mistakes (still over eating) as opposed to Amy who has already used the free weight loss surgery to get pregnant. Now Amy has crossed the line by bringing in an innocent child who will be raised by a bunch of  dysfunctional selfish morons. 

I completely agree about the self-worth issue. And yeah, CSR would be a great way to take her mind off of food and give her confidence. And she can work remotely. She doesn't have to be seen, just heard. She has so much time to think about food and dwell on her resentments. Not to mention how easy it is to eat when you're bored.

Edited by turbogirlnyc
  • Love 1
On 1/20/2021 at 8:27 AM, suzeecat said:

i was determined not to watch this season but couldn't figure out how to remove it from my dvr queue.  Last night I decided to take a peek.  Didn't Tammy supposedly have an on-line "boyfriend" at the end of last season?  Unfortunately, anyone attracted to her would probably be more interested in keeping her at her current weight than encouraging her weight loss. 

I was with you on this sentiment.  I watched season 1 but when it ended I told myself I wouldn't be watching season 2 of this shit-show.  And I didn't, until two days ago, when some blurb I read about them on the internet caught my eye and before I knew it I was searching On Demand to find episodes.  Two days later I've watched all of season 2 and now I need more!!!  And I need it nooooooow. 😝

This show would be easier to watch without all the farting and belching; a little of that goes a long way for me.  😷

• Love 2