Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Dragged over from the Season 37 thread:

"Obvious" is probably not a great word choice on my part for a wardrobe, but "distracting" didn't seem to work either, because when "distracting" is used in reference to women's clothing, it is often in reference to sexuality, whereas I was thinking more of patterns, textures, and Mayim's somewhat unique style --although not unlike many of the blazers still hanging around my closet since I retired as an academic librarian 2 years ago. 
I found the wardrobe choices of both Savannah Guthrie and Katie Couric to disappear more into the background once the game commenced. IDK. I'm probably splitting hairs here.
I probably would have preferred some pants suits too. 

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

• Love 1
On 6/13/2021 at 4:26 PM, shapeshifter said:

But if someone who has a significant measure of power to make the decision as to who is the new Jeopardy Host has never before seen  The Chase, seeing a clip might reduce Ken Jennings to mere mortal status in their eyes (as it did mine).

Ken is already a mere mortal in their eyes. They don't view him through the lens of a fan.  He has been around the show for years and is their human being coworker who might make them laugh and who also might irritate them. They've probably seen him eat, excuse himself to go to the bathroom and steal pens.  Very humanized. 

And since they have to work with the new host instead of admiring him/her from afar, that's how they'd prefer it.

They produce TV.  I doubt they'd think what he does on The Chase makes him a villain; just a professional.  Neither, by the way, do the contestants who go up against him.  They'd probably be insulted if any of the chasers tanked. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 6/17/2021 at 9:24 AM, shapeshifter said:

I found the wardrobe choices of both Savannah Guthrie and Katie Couric to disappear more into the background once the game commenced.

I have no particular comment on their clothes, some outfits have been really nice, some horrible, but for the love of God, if you can't walk in those giant heels, stop wearing them!!  Watching Savannah Guthrie try to plod across the stage in those things looks ridiculous.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I have no particular comment on their clothes, some outfits have been really nice, some horrible, but for the love of God, if you can't walk in those giant heels, stop wearing them!!  Watching Savannah Guthrie try to plod across the stage in those things looks ridiculous.

Small Talk...

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Could Sanjay's grey suit be any more BORING? Talk about trying to blend in with the background, except the background was more interesting than that suit. And his tie ... I kept staring at it as it was lopsided, the end kept trying to hide behind the right side of his boring grey jacket like it was embarrassed too. Then he was wearing BROWN shoes! With a grey suit! Don't have any black shoes Sanjay? Hope you are more appropriately dressed today Mr. Guest Host.

8 minutes ago, Trey said:

I don't know who this guest host is but I like him and his boring suit.

I suspect Saber was having a bit of a joke with us to make a point, but I also noticed the brown (BROWN!) shoes with the dark suit.  And he's not the first host where I've noticed it recently.  Seems like a newish trend.  Doesn't look bad, exactly, just noticeable.

See?  We can rag on male hosts (Men Hosts?) too!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I suspect Saber was having a bit of a joke with us to make a point,

Oh, I know.  She does enjoy her jokes😀 And I enjoy her jokes too.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Trey said:

I don't know who this guest host is but I like him and his boring suit.

Dr. Gupta is, in addition to being a neurosurgeon, a CNN medical contributor. I love him because he eased my anxiety so often during the pandemic with his calm demeanor and (get this) scientific facts. He's doing fine as guest host but he truly rocks as the medical voice of reason on cable news.

• Love 14
12 hours ago, rubaco said:

Dr. Gupta is, in addition to being a neurosurgeon, a CNN medical contributor. I love him because he eased my anxiety so often during the pandemic with his calm demeanor and (get this) scientific facts. He's doing fine as guest host but he truly rocks as the medical voice of reason on cable news.

I saw him on an interview on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. I don't watch much live news, so I knew who he was but hadn't really seen him in action. I thought he was very personable and liked him in the interview, so I was fairly confident I'd like him as a guest host. Which I do.

• Love 4
(edited)

Gupta Fashion Report:  He's on Colbert right now with a dark blue/chalk stripe suit, blue tie, and light blue shirt. I didn't notice his shoes.  He hasn't discussed J! yet...

ETA: They never did discuss the Jeopardy! gig.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Gupta Fashion Report:  He's on Colbert right now with a dark blue/chalk stripe suit, blue tie, and light blue shirt. I didn't notice his shoes.  He hasn't discussed J! yet...

I was surprised they didn't mention it. Maybe it's on the cutting room floor (as the now outdated saying goes)

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Last night's Colbert show was a rerun from mid-June.  Dr. Gupta could have mentioned that he would be hosting Jeopardy, but apparently he or they decided not to.

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I meant Colbert

Gupta's appearance was very recent. In fact, I would have sworn it was later in June than it was, though the evidence is clear it was not.

Colbert always takes the entire week of a holiday off, which is always a disappointment as we record him and watch him over lunch.  Still, if you didn't see it, it's still new to you. 😊

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Colbert always takes the entire week of a holiday off, which is always a disappointment as we record him and watch him over lunch.  Still, if you didn't see it, it's still new to you. 😊

Or, if like me, you tend to fall asleep during the commercial break when watching live at a ridiculously late hour, it's nice to catch a part you missed and didn't bother to YouTube.

• Love 1
(edited)

Next up to the plate are, in batting order:

• George Stephanopoulos: July 12 - July 16 
  • Robin Roberts: July 19 - July 23
  • LeVar Burton: July 26 - July 30
  • David Faber, journalist and former Celebrity Jeopardy! champion: August 2 - August 6 
  • Joe Buck, Fox Sportscaster: August 9 - August 13

(from jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/jeopardy-guest-host-schedule)

Will any of these knock it out of the park?

Edited by shapeshifter
couldn't resist adding another baseball metaphor in memory of Mom, who loved the Brooklyn Dodgers
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Looks like I can take the next couple of weeks off.  I am already somewhat horrified to find that I no longer have an internal bell going off at 7:30pm telling me Jeopardy is on.  And I never really thought of myself as an Alex-only person.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Looks like I can take the next couple of weeks off.  I am already somewhat horrified to find that I no longer have an internal bell going off at 7:30pm telling me Jeopardy is on.  And I never really thought of myself as an Alex-only person.

This post drove me to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stephanopoulos#Controversies

I'll be watching, but now with a more informed perspective.

I enjoyed Sanjay Gupta.  He had some issues pronouncing French words, Rouen and Givaudan come to mind, but not everyone will be a stickler for pronunciation like Alex.

Now we start the one week stints.  I am most looking forward to Levar Burton and David Faber.  I enjoy him on CNBC, and I forgot he won his Celebrity Jeopardy game.

I am pretty sure that any of the guest hosts who are on tv 5 days a week (Cooper, Guthrie, Stephanopoulos, Roberts, Faber) are just doing the hosting gig as a chance to earn money for charity and as a bucket list item.  I don't think their employers would be ok with them missing 6 days a month in order to tape Jeopardy!  That pretty much amounts to being gone 25% of the time.

I do think the hype around Levar has reached an uncomfortable level.  I like him and want to see him host, but let's just see how it goes.  I was pleasantly surprised by Buzzy and Mayim, and there wasn't a lot of hype before they hosted.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, opus said:

Whenever George Stephanopoulos gets mentioned I always first think of this conversation about him on Friends

Hah! I do too! ✋🏻

I appreciated how smoothly George handled it all, but I'm glad he won't be the permanent host because the raspy quality of his voice bothers me. My dad had a beautiful voice, but as he got older it failed, and in the end it turned out it was a sign that he had Parkinson's, so George's voice would make me sad.

Still, George stepped in so seemingly effortlessly that if we got to vote for the substitute host, I think he would be it for me.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My dad had a beautiful voice, but as he got older it failed, and in the end it turned out it was a sign that he had Parkinson's, so George's voice would make me sad.

I recently saw Ed Begley, Jr. on something and his voice has deteriorated horribly - I thought maybe it was something he was doing as characterization, but, no, he's got Parkinson's.  What a god-awful disease. WHEN are they gonna find the cure?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, rcc said:

All the hype and the entitled attitude that he deserves the job has turned me off Levar.

I'm not so much turned off as disappointed in him. I hope he does well, but he's not high on my list right now.

• Love 1

I imagine when LeVar Burton was not included in the initial selection for the 2-week stint guest hosts, he blamed himself for not making it known that he was interested, so, when he did make it known a little late in the process, he likely felt he needed to sound it from the roof tops, so to speak. If I am correct, unfortunately, this approach seems to have backfired a bit. Still, it's not like he would have had any chance of becoming the new host if he'd said nothing or if he'd been a little less vocal.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I imagine when LeVar Burton was not included in the initial selection for the 2-week stint guest hosts, he blamed himself for not making it known that he was interested, so, when he did make it known a little late in the process, he likely felt he needed to sound it from the roof tops, so to speak. If I am correct, unfortunately, this approach seems to have backfired a bit. Still, it's not like he would have had any chance of becoming the new host if he'd said nothing or if he'd been a little less vocal.

I was also wondering if it was something like that.  And I really don't know anything about how he got the roles he's had, but I wonder if he's had to hustle/create his own opportunities ("work twice as hard") to even be considered for things.  I don't know.  Just speculating.  Because he does come off as "trying too hard" but I'm thinking there's a reason behind that.

• Love 3
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Kyle said:

George Stephanopoulos is a natural. Give him the job.

I was thinking something similar while watching this evening, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't want the job.
Right?

ETA: I chuckled a little when there was a Friends clue this evening.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:30 PM, opus said:

Whenever George Stephanopoulos gets mentioned I always first think of this conversation about him on Friends

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

ETA: I chuckled a little when there was a Friends clue this evening.

That episode is even titled ‘The One with George Stephanopoulos’

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, opus said:

That episode is even titled ‘The One with George Stephanopoulos’

I wonder if the Jeopardy writers wanted to get a Friends clue in one of George's shows!

• Useful 1
On 7/13/2021 at 9:47 AM, shapeshifter said:

Did any of the other guest hosts make it known they wanted to be guest hosts? Anyone know how they were selected? Many have a connection to the show by being friends with Alex or having appeared on celebrity editions. I'm offended LeVar made a big deal out of how important he thinks he is. None of the other guests had to create a campaign to get on the show. Has LeVar ever been on the show as a celebrity contestant? And he thinks he needs to be the host ... why?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Did any of the other guest hosts make it known they wanted to be guest hosts? Anyone know how they were selected? Many have a connection to the show by being friends with Alex or having appeared on celebrity editions. I'm offended LeVar made a big deal out of how important he thinks he is. None of the other guests had to create a campaign to get on the show. Has LeVar ever been on the show as a celebrity contestant? And he thinks he needs to be the host ... why?

After doing some research, LeVar was on Celebrity Jeopardy in Season 12. It looks like he won his episode. So he does fit in with the kind of hosts we've had. But yeah, his self advocacy has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2436

• Love 1

I thought Robin did a good job tonight.  I will miss the rest of her episodes because I will be in Iceland!  I'll record them, but no idea if I'll watch them when I get back or just check FJ from the archives.

• Love 7