Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Hip Hop and Heartbreak

• Start Topic

Meredith and Seth are happy to be back together, while Heather has an awkward Valentine’s Day with her ex-husband and Lisa spends time with her family at the aquarium. And after Jen plans a surprise birthday party for her husband and doesn’t invite Mary, Whitney hears that the other women are talking about Jen behind her back and things get heated when she decides to tell Jen the rumor during Sharreiff’s birthday party.

Airdate: 01.06.2021

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Alright Mary for making me feel a twinge of sympathy for you for showing actual emotions.. she wants to so badly fit it that she puts on all these “airs” ... and the next scene makes me dislike her again never mind 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 6

So apparently everyone but Heather is ‘afraid’ of Jen. How about they all get together and tell Andy they won’t film with her unless he kicks her ass off this show. I definitely wouldn’t miss her, what a moron. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Yea Whitney you kinda are the asshole 

She really is, and a big mouth. And so much for Jen being calmer when Coach is around, she ruined his birthday party. She has major anger issues. Booze doesn’t help. 

• Love 14

Geez, Mary is grown, there is no reason to cry over not being invited to the hip hop/golf party!  She’s supposed to be a leader; this is immature.  And I didn’t think Mary should have invited Jen to her Louis Vuitton ear bud lunch either.  They’re not friends!  Ok, Whitney, Mary’s house is not 20,000 square feet.  It doesn’t even look particularly large; probably closer to 2k than 20k.  Is Mary ever not talking about her grandmother?!?  Her closet was disgusting.  And I actually like her personal aesthetic.  

Color me shocked that Heather’s ex-husband showed up on camera—he reminded me so much of Kim Richards’ ex-husband Monty on RHBH, the one that died of cancer.

648E0C8A-0342-41CE-ADEC-C93310BF6201.jpeg.0197da0ae65efda3eb15b8cd0993638d.jpeg

Just as I was warming to Heather, she sounded so shallow and immature in pretty much everything she said about her ex-husband and former marriage:  he “checked every box” by being over six feet tall, he was “cool and rich”, and had a “pioneer history with Howard Hughes” and Heather was “the never say no girl”?  What does that even mean??  Isn’t that exactly what she got all up in a snit about Lisa saying about her in episode one?!?  Heather is confusing, because Heather is confused.  She’s trying to be the moral compass of the franchise, but she doesn’t really believe in herself, so why would the viewer get behind her?

I feel like Heather is trying so hard to convey an image every time she opens her mouth: “I’m still a divorcee, ostracized by my community and totally alone.”  Oh my God, Heather, you have a business that you claim is valued at over 20 million dollars, you have three healthy daughters, and you are somewhat arguably attractive if one squints enough and puts enough Vaseline on the lens.  Why is she always lamenting her life?  Even tongue-in-cheek, enough is enough and she needs to pick herself up once and for all and stop being poor little pioneer girl.  And...does she know what ancestors are? Because her tag line is about “my pioneer ancestors,” but apparently the pioneers in question were related to her ex-husband, so I really hope she realizes how strange that sounds.  If Heather and her ex-husband shared ancestors, I wouldn’t even be surprised at this point.  It might even be somewhat interesting. 

Aw, poor weird Whitney again, with her poor weird familial problems of her in-laws having her picture mounted next to her husband’s ex-wife’s.  I’m not sure how a viewer is supposed to relate to her story.  She seems like an ex-Mormon fembot, like she shows up, delivers strange stories and smiles creepily and it just doesn’t elicit the desired reaction from me, at least, which I think is supposed to be amusement.  Whitney is really charmless when I think about it—she probably has the least charm of any of the women on the show—and I’m not here for her.  I have no idea who I’m here for at this point.  In my mind, they all have big X’s next to their names, for various and sundry reasons.  

I really thought I was going to like Lisa in the beginning.  I thought she was really cute in her smushed up kind of Bratz doll face, and it seemed like she truly didn’t give a shit, unlike Heather and Whitney, but it’s not a still waters run deep situation there—it’s just a vapid woman who is quite obsessed with goals in the abstract, which is a really weird preoccupation that I can’t relate to.  I wish Lisa would stick to making astute observations, such as Whitney needing a lot of attention, negative or positive.  (That sports bra and standing on her hands was not flattering to Whitney’s body type).  

The highlight of the episode for me was Lisa getting in Whitney’s face and telling her off.  It took nine episodes, but apparently Lisa has a personality somewhere deep down inside.  I just hope she sticks with confronting dumb bitches instead of staring into space and looking at her family blankly, like she has no idea who anyone is, or why they are together.

Meredith has quite possibly the most annoying voice across the Housewives franchise to me, which isn’t really her fault, but the pregnant pauses as if she is always on the verge of saying the most important thing in the world is, and I can’t stand her scenes because of that and the attention-seeking Brooks, ugh.  

Coach Shah completely knew about that party in advance.  Once again, he kind of won the episode by pinning his wife’s drinking as the problem.  

Does anyone have any idea how old Jen is?  She has a 14 year old son, but can she be much less than 50 with that tight-as-a-drum face and struggle body (the one where she isn’t heavy or fat at all, but the skinny arms and legs don’t match the short neck and torso that gravity’s had it’s way with)?

I can’t believe Heather—the Heather that eschewed gossip about Meredith’s marriage last episode—was the first one to jump on the Whitney  runtelldat to Jen about Lisa and Meredith being scared of Jen.  For someone who is a “straight shooter”, Whitney was so freaking tongue-tied.  She wasn’t just stuttering, she was like hyperventilating.  What an awkward try-hard bitch.  

Jen’s reaction to Whitney’s nontroversial gossip of throwing the glass and blaming Mary was perfectly on par with a Jen reaction.  Le sigh.  I don’t think Lisa and Meredith are afraid of Jen, and Whitney is really playing both sides of the fence, trying to stir up a season, and it’s not working.  Whitney couldn’t even get the gossip out of her mouth without Heather having to speak for her.  The fact that Lisa and Meredith—who aren’t exactly passionate or aggressive—swatted Whitney away like a fly speaks volumes.  Whitney has emerged as the real asshole of this franchise to me.  She’s taking Jen’s place.  Whitney really needed “liquid courage” to tell someone someone else is afraid of her?  She is dead weight on this franchise, and that’s saying a lot.  Someone needs to lead a charge against Whitney and restore order.  I (reluctantly) nominate Lisa.  

So, they mentioned a few times that this was close to Valentine’s Day.  If this was really filmed over 2019-20, which other posters have said, then this show should be wrapping up soon.  If it was filmed over 2018-19, which I suspected, there is no end point in sight.  I’ve never wanted so badly to be wrong about something!

• LOL 5
  • Love 11

I know Heather says her ex is rich, Mormon royalty, but damn the man looks more like he's down on his luck and wouldn't appear out of place holding a cardboard sign at an intersection.

Mary looked like a little girl wearing her mommy's boots, which apparently are worn only in the house like slippers since she was wearing them inside without covers.  

Brooks hair in his talking head looks like it was styled by an animal licking something off of his head.

Bravo wanted diversity. Good idea poorly executed by the production company responsible for this atrocity of a show.  I cannot believe there weren't any non-white women in the Salt Lake City area who are accomplished, intelligent, and interesting.  They are probably too smart to get involved with a shit show like this.  Instead they picked two caricatures who substitute displays of opulence and wealth for actual attributes.  All Mary has is her grandfather/husband story and things she can buy which have a high price tag.  Jen puts on a ridiculous show with her team catering to her every need in over the top ways clearly performed for the benefit of the cameras (thinking of last week when her assistant hand fed her something and this week lying in her bed).  

Edited by ichbin
sp
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

and you are somewhat arguably attractive if one squints enough and puts enough Vaseline on the lens.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Omg!  I laughed so hard at this.  🤣

• LOL 3

Mary and Jen are both out of their fucking minds. I like Mary's grandfather husband, though. 

Brooks has got to be one of the most obnoxious spawn to ever be on a housewives show. 

Lindsey's story is interesting. Her home looks like it's decorated in Home Goods and Wayfair, I recognized the dining room pictures on the walls.  Hey, so is mine, no judgement but this is "Howard Hughes" money we're supposed to be talking about so I was expecting Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. Like Marys ostentatious 5 home that she has trouble keeping count of. 

Whitney was drunk off her ass at the party. I hate when people get sloppy sloshed like that, then they don't remember anything the next day. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, ichbin said:

I know Heather says her ex is rich, Mormon royalty, but damn the man looks more like he's down on his luck and wouldn't appear out of place holding a cardboard sign at an intersection.

He looked like a meth head 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Is Heather’s ex Whitney’s dad’s new incoming roomie?  Ay yi yi!  

I am embarrassed for Coach Shah.  I keep thinking if an actual prestigious coach’s wife acted a fool like this in public.  It does matter and it may hold him back from opportunities in the future.  I’m also not impressed at her consumption of alcohol when just last week or the week before (whatever) she was talking about taking medication for her depression.  I guess, though, when your hired staff bring you your pills on a tray, you fail to read the warnings on the actual bottle. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Jen wearing that "Beyonce" outfit in public was embarrassing, it was a bad look from the back also she is nuts and her young son knows it, like he has been her nursemaid before and knows the drill.  So we are supposed to be impressed that Jen had her party planner arrange the details of this party?  It was probably the event person at the golf club that showed her the brochure of party packages and she picked one, $24.99/pp and you get unlimited mini egg rolls, jalepeno poppers, cheese cubes and veggies and a limited bar plus add $5.00/pp for unlimited driving range priviledges.

Brooks, fucks you, Brooks.  It was funny that he called for sushi to be delivered, hung up the phone and there was a knock at the door immediatly following.  Why does he not like to see his parents in a loving marriage?  He was offended by his parents not fighting?  Also, he is an asshole.

Heather's husband???? Yeah, really? That is what checked all her boxes? Wow, the bar is very low.  Her girls are polite.

Mary your red boots looked like cheap costume boots, like the kind we would see on someone marching in the Thanksgiving Day Parade, (like just the shaft with an elastic strap that goes around your existing shoe). Why do you get to wear them in your house but make that blonde girl put booties over her heels? Why not just take them off?  Your hoard of designer stuff is not impressive, you are tone deaf to the world you live in, I hope the IRS and your parishioners are watching.  

Why does it look like nobody really lives in the homes they film in? Starck and cold, all of them, no personal effects anywhere.

• LOL 3
  • Love 16

This seemed like a weird episode.  Was it just me, or was there a lot of recap/re-establishing of the characters and stories, as well as info-dump and exposition monologues?  I felt like it was a rerun or I was having deja vu.

• Love 2

Lisa won SnarkPoints from me with her comments on Whitney's middle-school hip-hop twerking.  It seemed to be Whitney's night for middle-school shenanigans, with her passing along gossip that the Brunettes are scared of Jen and that Meredith's marriage was in trouble.  If it requires "liquid courage," Whitney, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it.  Her pot-stirring was so amateur, even clumsier than RHONY's Alex with her "message from Bethenny."  

• LOL 4
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I wonder how Mary’s congregation feels about all the houses and other wealth she inherited from her Grandma that was probably paid for with their donated money? Was she and Mary’s now husband like Jim and Tammy Faye Baker? Sounds like it. 

Those deluded nutcases probably love it, they'll go out and get extra part-time jobs to put more money in the basket.

11 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Does Brooks have any friends? Why is he always hanging out with his parents and all up in their business?

Because his friends don't have a reality show!

One reason to watch this episode:  PENGUINS!

• Love 17

I bet Mary forces everyone in her flock to use her mortgage company.  She really gets them coming AND going. 

How has the grift gone on for so long??  She is too stupid to be pulling these kinds of financial moves.

1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Jen wearing that "Beyonce" outfit in public was embarrassing, it was a bad look from the back also she is nuts and her young son knows it, like he has been her nursemaid before and knows the drill.  So we are supposed to be impressed that Jen had her party planner arrange the details of this party?  It was probably the event person at the golf club that showed her the brochure of party packages and she picked one, $24.99/pp and you get unlimited mini egg rolls, jalepeno poppers, cheese cubes and veggies and a limited bar plus add $5.00/pp for unlimited driving range priviledges.

Mary your red boots looked like cheap costume boots, like the kind we would see on someone marching in the Thanksgiving Day Parade, (like just the shaft with an elastic strap that goes around your existing shoe). Why do you get to wear them in your house but make that blonde girl put booties over her heels? Why not just take them off?  Your hoard of designer stuff is not impressive, you are tone deaf to the world you live in, I hope the IRS and your parishioners are watching.  

The food at that party was dreadful.  It was obviously provided by the golf club.

I am DYING at your description of Mary's boots.  

Lisa and Meredith are both on the show to further their agendas.  Lisa is promoting her businesses and gaining insta followers, and Meredith is getting followers for BrooKS MarKS.  They are not interested in showing their "real" lives at all.  They pretend to, but it is so fake. 

Lisa is adept at keeping the storyline on how hard she works and how much she loves her family.  Why would the producers pick her?  Did she trick them into thinking she had some drama?

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Brooks, fucks you, Brooks.  It was funny that he called for sushi to be delivered, hung up the phone and there was a knock at the door immediatly following.  Why does he not like to see his parents in a loving marriage?  He was offended by his parents not fighting?  Also, he is an asshole.

Heather's husband???? Yeah, really? That is what checked all her boxes? Wow, the bar is very low.  Her girls are polite.

Why does it look like nobody really lives in the homes they film in? Starck and cold, all of them, no personal effects anywhere.

Looking at this, and while watching, I realized that the "venue" was a TopGolf franchise, and what you are describing is exactly correct.  TopGolf is a fun experience, and you can rent out the entire space for a private party, with food and drinks included, or you can just go there with a group or by yourself, and "rent" a bay or several bays (your designated play area) by the hour, or based on play.  The interiors of all TopGolf's buildings are the same - they have a bar, a large space for gathering that open to the golf bays that are furnished with tables and chairs, overlooking a large driving range sort of area.  From the driving range area and your bay, you can play target games or just practice your skills.  

The food is your basic pub grub, but is actually not too bad for a franchise-type establishment.  

TopGolf does offer all kinds of party packages - lots of guys go to TopGolf for birthday or bachelor celebrations.  It's a great combination of golf fun with some food and drinks and socializing mixed in.

I didn't get the whole golf/hip hop theme - I think Jen added the hip hop theme to the party so she could become a Beyonce-wannabe.  The whole party looked like a mess, and Jen and Whitney were both an embarassment.  

This show, and the women on it are just too "try-hard" for me - they are all very much trying to stake their claim in the RH world, and by trying so hard, it all comes off as inauthentic and fake.  I really don't like any of the women and find myself constantly distracted when I try to watch an entire episode.

And, because it cannot be said enough, Brooks Marks is the MOST ANNOYING RH spawn of any franchise ever.  I won't say he his the worst, because I think that RHOC Tamra's Ryan holds that crown in perpetuity, but Brooks is definitely an extremely annoying person.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Useful 2
  • Love 16

It's going to be difficult to imagine WTF whatever future third ancillary Brooks in the Real Housewives franchise is going to entail.  Because the first two, oy.

Edited by Lassus
  • LOL 2

Mary has literal crazy eyes. Why are they always bugging out??

Watching Seth & Meredith’s conversations is painful. It literally feels like they are on the set of a bad soap opera. They pause every few seconds, searching for their next words. Totally fake people. 

Whitney brings up sex with Justin 24/7. Even HE looked amused by it. He does have cute dimples. 

Whitney’s dad, OY. And high def is def not his friend...

Feel bad for Lisa’s husband and kids. She seems as cold as ice and as fun as a root canal. 

• Love 8

And what is with the HW giving her kids a run at a product...Fresh Wolf Bath and Body products? Oy. So dumb, it would be more interesting if they let the kids develope a tequilla line.

Mary has a mansion in Carmel Indiana, did her grandmother know there is another Carmel in California, that one is the aspirational Carmel.   Maybe Grandma Moneybags has some tax shelters going on in those states where she owned homes.

I am pretty sure brooKS does not really have to worry about his parents doing the nasty anywhere, they are clearly faking the lovey dovey stuff for a story line, they have no chemistry and he looks like he is so over her.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

Lisa won SnarkPoints from me with her comments on Whitney's middle-school hip-hop twerking.  It seemed to be Whitney's night for middle-school shenanigans, with her passing along gossip that the Brunettes are scared of Jen and that Meredith's marriage was in trouble.  If it requires "liquid courage," Whitney, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it.  Her pot-stirring was so amateur, even clumsier than RHONY's Alex with her "message from Bethenny."  

Alex's message from Bethenny drama was epic lol

Don't lump Whitney's attempt in with that masterpiece lol

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Mary has a mansion in Carmel Indiana, did her grandmother know there is another Carmel in California, that one is the aspirational Carmel.   Maybe Grandma Moneybags has some tax shelters going on in those states where she owned homes.

It has to be registered as a tax-free house of worship, just like Joel Osteen's mansion.

2 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

Lisa won SnarkPoints from me with her comments on Whitney's middle-school hip-hop twerking. 

Same here, I'm starting to like her.

18 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Alex's message from Bethenny drama was epic lol

Hives!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I bet Mary forces everyone in her flock to use her mortgage company.  She really gets them coming AND going. 

How has the grift gone on for so long??  She is too stupid to be pulling these kinds of financial moves.

Maybe this is why marrying grandpa was part of the deal!

• Love 4

Whitney's tagline sounds like she is letting the world know that her husband has a small dick.

So, Mary is married to her grandfather, Whitney is married to her father figure, Lisa is married to her work, Meredith is married to her son, Jen is married to an absentee husband. Heather be grateful you were set free. Go to Alaska for awhile. You are used to the climate and can probably find love there.

This does seem the most scripted of the series and by far the most boring.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15

Whitney's eyebrows are freaking me out in her talking head look.  They look like they are ready to take flight.  She isn't interesting and she is weird.

Sharrieff has an interesting past.   He was an attorney, a sports agent and a highly respected coach.  He went to college from 90-93, and I think that is where he met Jen, so that helps pinpoint her age.   He has to see the crazy in Jen.  

I'm trying to find out why Mary has a house in Carmel Indiana.  Sharrieff would make more sense.  His brother was affiliated with the Colts, and Sharrieff probably had other sport clients.  Lots of athletes live in Carmel.

I'll keep digging on Mary's life.  Did I say I was bored?   LOL!

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Mary has a mansion in Carmel Indiana, did her grandmother know there is another Carmel in California, that one is the aspirational Carmel.

I have no idea why Mary has property there, but don't get thrown off by "Indiana".  Carmel, IN is actually an upscale, affluent community.  

14 hours ago, princelina said:

1.  The eternal question - what is Jen's job?

Lisa promotes her liquor by name. Meredith has been shown in her boutique.  Heather has pushed her salon.  Even Mary has been shown doing her preacher thing in church.  They take advantage of the marketing opportunity.  Jen?  Interesting that we still have no idea other than she has a team and is the wife of a man with a verifiable job.  If Jen has any fully functioning businesses  she isn't doing a good job of making people aware of them.  Why?

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Sage47 said:

Mary has literal crazy eyes. Why are they always bugging out??

I'm wondering if it is the only thing on her botoxed face that can move when she is trying to be expressive?  On WWHL she mentioned she wasn't aware that her eyes did that and thought it was some special effects post production magic!

1 hour ago, watcherwoman said:

Whitney's eyebrows are freaking me out in her talking head look.  They look like they are ready to take flight.  She isn't interesting and she is weird.

She looks as if she just came from Heather's med spa and slapped a ton of makeup on.  Not only are her brows Disney-villain crazy, but she has little plumped up cheek balls, which don't look natural.  It's kind of sad, because she looks very pretty in her daytime looks.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

And what is with the HW giving her kids a run at a product...Fresh Wolf Bath and Body products? Oy. So dumb, it would be more interesting if they let the kids develope a tequilla line.

This was so contrived!  I guess Lisa doesn't want Meredith's son to get all the glory 😉

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Well, having been to both, Carmel By the Sea is certainly THE aspirational enclave of aspirational enclaves, but Carmel, Indiana is the aspirational enclave of the state.  It's a pretty nice little town, and if she's had that mansion for a while, the real estate market there is insane.  The county it's in had one of the fastest growth rates in the country at one point, it might still. 

I appreciate a good single girl on the town storyline, a woman who has a great family and career that wants to find a real partner, but Heather is not there yet.  She's still in the "I NEED LOVE NOW' part of her divorce.  She has the means and the ability to look outside of Salt Lake City, AND she also has the means to date exactly who she wants.  Is she looking for an uptight Mormon or is that totally off the table?  It seems like she has real insight into the fact that she married for material reasons and was miserable, but she seems really confused.  Also, she said she was on Bumble for like a month and had shitty dates.  LOL, it took me 5 months to meet my fiance after I joined, after about 15-20 terrible dates, and those were the dudes that made it past just chatting.  My sister, who has spent YEARS on the app, was kind of pissed that it happened so quickly.  I think she thinks she's such a catch, she's the cream of the crop, but I don't know if anyone has told her yet the ugly truth about men in their 40's not really being into women in their 40's.  They want the 20 somethings, the 30 somethings.  (This is a TOTAL generalization, but just an observation from me and my friend's experiences on dating sites).  Basically, someone less complicated and someone that they are financially superior to.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

She looks as if she just came from Heather's med spa and slapped a ton of makeup on.  Not only are her brows Disney-villain crazy, but she has little plumped up cheek balls, which don't look natural.  It's kind of sad, because she looks very pretty in her daytime looks.

Apparently Botox can make brows do that so you might not be far off. It's fun to look at recent photos of people I know in real life who suddenly have what I call fish hooked brows which bear little resemblance to the brows they grew up with.  That and the horizontal lines on the side of the nose are easy tells.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Lassus said:

It's going to be difficult to imagine WTF whatever future third ancillary Brooks in the Real Housewives franchise is going to entail.  Because the first two, oy.

The third one isn't so bad--Whitney's young son is also a Brooks, and all we know about him is he likes extra cheese on his grilled cheese sandwich.  I can get behind that ideology. LOL

Lisa's white box of a house freaks me out.  There is nothing personal ANYWHERE!  I don't even think there was soap by the kitchen sink.  I'm hoping that it is a rental, otherwise living like that is insane.  Not that it needs to be as cluttered as Mary's high end hoarder situation, but a vase of flowers, a family photo, a piece of furniture with some color--something!--would help.

Has there been a gathering that Jen's attended this season that didn't end with her on a rampage?  I agree that she must be like this a lot, otherwise Omar wouldn't be johnny-on-the-spot to calm her down.  If it weren't for him, I'd think she was just acting to give that paint by numbers RH experience.

• Love 8

I want more discussion about the Morman church. Details we would like to know. 

Heather and to some degree Whitney only talk about about surface things and they just repeat the same old things. Every episode Heather tells us about her divorce. Whitney talks about breaking up two families.

Give us more details and maybe a little about the Morman underwear.

Edited by applecrisp
spelling
  • LOL 9
  • Love 9

Are any of these people on the show practicing Mormons? Because it seems to me that they flaunt breaking the rules of the Mormon Church regularly.  I know all of them aren't Mormon but I thought some were. When Mary was ticking off all the homes that she owns I was thinking that they are most likely titled in the name of the church. I have watched very little of this show but Bravo is scraping the bottom of the barrel here. But I love the outdoor scenery. This is the only thing making this show worth watching.  

Edited by 65mickey
  • Love 3