Type keyword(s) to search

S15 E06: Upstaged

ByTor
  • Start Topic

As the Candidates perform different genres of dance it becomes clear who has great stage presence and who doesn’t. Melissa Rycroft, Neal McCoy, Charlotte Jones, Kitty Carter are featured.

As always, this is a NO-SPOILER topic. If it didn't happen yet, please do not discuss.

If there had been interviews and solos before training camp, this would be a different outcome. But the rookies came in knowing the dances and got days with Kelli and Judy, I think it made a big difference. 

Is the flowing top in now? Before only VK wore it for solos and now they’re all floating around the stage looking ethereal. 

Meredith was never a favorite of mine, but that was a brutal cut. Maybe they should stop bringing Kelli’s pet projects onto the team every year. They rarely last.

Lots of lax mask wearing this episode. It goes OVER the nose people. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14

While I wasn't a big fan of Meredith, watching her get cut tonight was tough and I felt bad for her. She is a beautiful girl, seems to be a genuine sweetheart and a beautiful dancer in her genre, just not so with DCC style IMHO. I kinda cringed when she said she thought she came back stronger and a better dancer this year. I hope she does well with her life from this point on. I personally don't think she should come back next year to auditions.

• Love 13

Oh Meredith.....don't you ever watch the show?  Kelli has never changed her mind once it got to the point she's going to cut someone.  All the begging for one more week/day/hour never work.  It's also shocking how oblivious Meredith was.  Totally clueless!  This was either the second or third time she was called in, along with several times being called out on the dance floor...once very prominently by Judy...and she doesn't understand why she got the knock on the door.  

I always liked Meredith, but have never understood how such a beautiful dancer could not pick up the DCC dances.....and she never really could.  Always a half/full step behind.  If I were Kelly, I would have pulled her in the first night vets returned to training camp and read her the riot act.  You barely made the team last year with dozens and dozens of chances afforded no other girl in squad history and you come back looking this bad as a veteran?   

• Love 12

Wow....Claire's backstory was featured tonight and there wasn't one death (parent/grandparent/sibling/significant other/favorite pet); major injury or painful boo boo; or OCR (overcoming cheerleader rejection) in the entire thing.  C'mon Claire...get with the program.  What with your parents mentioning the financial burden your dream of dancing has caused them over the years AND the fact you couldn't go to an out-of-state college your freshman year, you had plenty of sob story material to work with.  Yet all they feature of you is a close knit family that worked hard to keep you in leotards.  Pah-thetic.

Two things tonight......Marissa is my favorite rookie and she just exploded like a little firecracker in front of the judges.  She deserved show group.  Also, even to my untrained eye I'm seeing changes in Hannah.  Taking nothing away from her wonderful solo performance, she just doesn't seem to be putting out that much of an effort.  It's baffling.  Almost like she doesn't care one way or the other if she makes the team.  Oh, two more things.....Kelcey....is she the one who K&J weren't impressed with last week and had such a simple solo performance?  Why wasn't she cut...she deserved to be.  Second, uh oh....Lily's name being mentioned for the first time and not in a positive way, along with camera shots of Brenna and Brianna with voiceover by Kelli about vets having problems.  Don't want to hear that.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

1st immediate comments  - 

I like putting the solos as part of show group audition. 

Welcome back Kitty.👏

RE: Claire

Her dance was beautiful. I truly wish she would have worn another color under-bottoms - something to complement the lavender slip-dress. The black was a little distracting. 

RE: Kat - 

I need to seer her to dance with her hair in a bun . She lost the cane, but is using her weave as a prop. Her "single ladies moon walk " movement was a 'no' for me. I am getting tired of women thinking/hoping/wanting to be/trying to be Beyoncé. Let it go -create your own signature dance move. Didn't get the pinky in the air at the end.

RE: Meredith - 

Kelli did everyone a favor. To quote, with commentary, a song by the late pastor Milton Brunson  - "I'm free. Praise the Lord, I'm free. No longer bound (by DCC style). No more chains (counts) holding me. My soul ( consistent slow learning that is held onto for dear life) is resting. It's just a blessing. Praise the Lord, hallelujah, I'm free.''  We all are free.

Part of me was thinking during that meeting was Kelli might need to have security sitting in the corner. The emotional state of some of this cuts make me nervous.

RE: the dances we didn't see - 

Production really could have made this a two part episode since they had to film everyone initially. were they that bad that they didn't make the final cut for the episode?

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, JapMo said:

Wow....Claire's backstory was featured tonight and there wasn't one death (parent/grandparent/sibling/significant other/favorite pet); major injury or painful boo boo; or OCR (overcoming cheerleader rejection) in the entire thing.  C'mon Claire...get with the program.  What with your parents mentioning the financial burden your dream of dancing has caused them over the years AND the fact you couldn't go to an out-of-state college your freshman year, you had plenty of sob story material to work with.  Yet all they feature of you is a close knit family that worked hard to keep you in leotards.  Pah-thetic.

Two things tonight......Marissa is my favorite rookie and she just exploded like a little firecracker in front of the judges.  She deserved show group.  Also, even to my untrained eye I'm seeing changes in Hannah.  Taking nothing away from her wonderful solo performance, she just doesn't seem to be putting out that much of an effort.  It's baffling.  Almost like she doesn't care one way or the other if she makes the team.  Oh, two more things.....Kelcey....is she the one who K&J weren't impressed with last week and had such a simple solo performance?  Why wasn't she cut...she deserved to be.  Second, uh oh....Lily's name being mentioned for the first time and not in a positive way, along with camera shots of Brenna and Brianna with voiceover by Kelli about vets having problems.  Don't want to hear that.

I think you mean Kristin, not Kelcey.

• Love 3

Unless the floor was unsafe ( from a hardness/construction standpoint) - why didn't they do the jump split? I think that would have been needed for an evaluation score.

Given the dancers were already physically close most of the day - the 2 minutes they would have had to join-up should have been ok with the other safety protocols. Or they could have wore thin gloves. Gloves shouldn't have that big of an effect on holding the poms.

Edited by sATL

RE: the point of simple solos - 

I get the idea is to showcase to the judges what you are best at and perform for entrainment. But I wish K&J would come up with a suggested guideline (ie don't have to do everything that is listed)  what skill should be in a solo to get a top score, but still shows they can do DCC style.

Kinda like its done in gymnastics floor exercise, ice skating and sports like that. Yes - every routine is different but the basic idea needs to be there. That is what kinda bugged me about parts of Kat, Meredith and Kristin's  routine.  Wrong time and place.

If Kelli wants to see good toe pointing and quadruple pirouettes , then the routines should try to have that. If splits, high kicks ,and  leaps are pleasing, then try to incorporate those skills. 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, JapMo said:

I'm not buying $$ was the sole reason she did one year at Nebraska , after YEARS of paying for her craft, and suddenly got a payload to go to AZ to offset the tuition and fees that NE costs.

There is more to this story..🍿

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, sATL said:

RE: the point of simple solos - 

I get the idea is to showcase to the judges what you are best at and perform for entrainment. But I wish K&J would come up with a suggested guideline (ie don't have to do everything that is listed)  what skill should be in a solo to get a top score, but still shows they can do DCC style.

Kinda like its done in gymnastics floor exercise, ice skating and sports like that. Yes - every routine is different but the basic idea needs to be there. That is what kinda bugged me about parts of Kat, Meredith and Kristin's  routine.  Wrong time and place.

If Kelli wants to see good toe pointing and quadruple pirouettes , then the routines should try to have that. If splits, high kicks ,and  leaps are pleasing, then try to incorporate those skills. 

Solos are a time to showcase what you do best.  Kat isn't technical,  but she's a performer/powerhouse and a gymnast, so that's what she showcased.   Kristin and Meredith are amazing at lyrical (not sure if that's what style that is), so that's what they showcase. 

Putting quadruple pirouettes in a solo routine and not execute flawlessly, isn't a good look (especially bc I've never seen DCC do them on game day).  As Kitty would say,  don't do "stuff" you can't do.  

I think the problem comes when you can do a style that you were trained in, but can't adapt to DCC style.....case in point, Meredith.

• Love 5

Can someone list the show group members? I understand Hannah is not back in, but does anyone know the rest?  I read somewhere that CiCi lost her spot and Lisa got on. Obviously this is not true because if it was, they would have shown that.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, bjo1969 said:

While I wasn't a big fan of Meredith, watching her get cut tonight was tough and I felt bad for her. She is a beautiful girl, seems to be a genuine sweetheart and a beautiful dancer in her genre, just not so with DCC style IMHO. I kinda cringed when she said she thought she came back stronger and a better dancer this year. I hope she does well with her life from this point on. I personally don't think she should come back next year to auditions.

I’m with you on all of the above.  Meredith deserved to be cut ... in fact she never should’ve made the squad.  If she hadn’t been Kelly’s girl crush she wouldn’t have made it.  She has a lovely face but nothing else to recommend her for the job.  Her timing was off and Judy and every choreographer last season noticed and commented on it.  Her figure didn’t look good in the uniform.  She didn’t do well at the cameo photo shoot and she didn’t do well at media “training”.  Any one of those things would’ve gotten another girl cut.  

Being on the squad last year was a gift.  The problem for her this year is that even with a season on the squad under her belt she’s still on the struggle bus.  Her timing is still off and she still can’t pick up and retain DCC choreography.  A bigger problem is her disconnect with the reality of her deficiencies.  She thinks she’s top 36, she thinks she’s a stronger dancer this season, etc.  She can’t address her issues if she won’t acknowledge that she has them.

All that being said, watching her face when they cut her was hard.  She seems to be a genuine sweetheart.  I wish her the best. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
On 12/30/2020 at 7:59 AM, SMP637 said:

Solos are a time to showcase what you do best.  Kat isn't technical,  but she's a performer/powerhouse and a gymnast, so that's what she showcased.   Kristin and Meredith are amazing at lyrical (not sure if that's what style that is), so that's what they showcase. 

Putting quadruple pirouettes in a solo routine and not execute flawlessly, isn't a good look (especially bc I've never seen DCC do them on game day).  As Kitty would say,  don't do "stuff" you can't do.  

I think the problem comes when you can do a style that you were trained in, but can't adapt to DCC style.....case in point, Meredith.

Occasionally I think doing what they do best doesn’t work for them.  I think since Kat the rhythmic gymnast, from a few seasons back, had struggled with power as a rookie doing another lyrical solo didn’t help her when she reauditioned.  It wasn’t fair to ding her for her solo that season but they did.  So much for telling them to do what they do best.

18-year old Brianna from NJ was another well trained technical dancer whose solo Kelly, in particular, loved.  Despite atrocious kicks Brianna made it into training camp but couldn’t translate her technical training into DCC style.  Legacy Madeline was yet another classically trained dancer with a lovely solo who couldn’t adapt.

Sometimes they put too much weight on the solos.  A meh solo doesn’t mean they can’t pick up DCC choreography and an amazing solo doesn’t mean that they can.

Edited by DragonFlyzz
Changed lyrical to rhythmic.
  • Love 13

I'm confused on the timing and editing of the last two episodes. Kelli was wearing her leopard print top and Judy her glam red blouse from episode 5 when they cut Meredith at the end of episode 6. So, Show Group auditions happened after Travis Wall's visit and before the MRS rehearsal visit we saw last week? I noticed at some points when MRS was talking last night, she was wearing the red tank and light earrings from episode 5 (like when she was talking about VK rocking point and how Alora-Rose just can't match up next to her). It's just weird editing to have the 2nd half of episode 5 be the MRS rehearsal, ending with K & J discussing cutting vets in general and Meredith in particular, then spend the entire next episode on Show Group auditions, where Kelli is wearing a bright blue dress, then show them coming back to announce Show Group the next night, where Kelli is wearing a navy dress and Judy a seafoam-colored blouse, and then go from Claire talking about how happy she is to make Show Group to Kelli and Judy being "back at the office" in their leopard print and red tops about to cut Meredith. Why rearrange the order of events? I don't even see how that clarifies or amplifies Meredith's story of getting cut. Why not have the Show Group episode before the TW/MRS episode? It also changes some of the context for MRS's roundtable discussion and voting on Hannah, Kristen, Meredith, etc., since it means MRS was commenting after seeing Show Group and the rehearsal where Meredith ends up getting cut. It just seems confusing and unnecessary and it adds to my viewer sense that I can't really trust what I'm seeing. I mean, it's reality TV, so I shouldn't trust it anyway, but it just makes me feel more manipulated than I like.

On a different note, I loved seeing so much of the solos during SG auditions and that so much of the episode was dancing. What was Kristen's weird, slow pulsing she was doing with some of her moves? Just about everything in that solo was cringeworthy to me. Some flip over on her hand move with her legs all bent early on, her sleepy eyes, it really was uncomfortable. Charlotte's visible cringe was pretty amazing and on point. I still am interested in whether it was Meredith that Scott said should never do hip hop again. On another board, a pretty reliable poster had said they were referring to Tori in that moment, and I don't totally discount the possibility of editing to their storyline. We didn't see much of Tori in this episode, it it appears that she did some kind of TIN MAN dance, complete with dangling arms and hanging head, and I thought, whyyyy--are you so young that you never saw the whole Vivian Tin Man debacle? We heard so little from Kitty in the episode, but I would love to know what she thought of Tori's Tin Man. I would have loved hearing the judges discuss some of the rockstar vets, too.

Feeling anxious about next week, since the preview shows my girl Ashlee flubbing a routine. 

Spoiler

I know she comes out of it alright and is a 2nd GL, so it didn't damage her standing in TPTB's eyes too much, but ouch, did she ever look lost in that quick clip.

• Love 1

lyrical gymnastics..hmmmm.... I need to look at up.. Is that the sport with the ribbon  ?

when I think of gymnastics - floor dance routine - I think of Katelyn Ohashi from UCLA last years 10.0 routine. Wonderful routine but I wouldn't' think DCC solos would be the time and place to do some of those skills.

Kat's handstand and backflip... so that is part of lyrical gymnastics?  

Edited by sATL

New here, and no clue how to quote someone, but Kat's pinky at the end of her solo was to show her pinky ring, the one all the Rookies get at the end of their first season. I actually thought it was a cool moment for her, sort of like her trying to show that she did belong.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
47 minutes ago, M1977G said:

I'm confused on the timing and editing of the last two episodes. Kelli was wearing her leopard print top and Judy her glam red blouse from episode 5 when they cut Meredith at the end of episode 6. So, Show Group auditions happened after Travis Wall's visit and before the MRS rehearsal visit we saw last week? I noticed at some points when MRS was talking last night, she was wearing the red tank and light earrings from episode 5 (like when she was talking about VK rocking point and how Alora-Rose just can't match up next to her). It's just weird editing to have the 2nd half of episode 5 be the MRS rehearsal, ending with K & J discussing cutting vets in general and Meredith in particular, then spend the entire next episode on Show Group auditions, where Kelli is wearing a bright blue dress, then show them coming back to announce Show Group the next night, where Kelli is wearing a navy dress and Judy a seafoam-colored blouse, and then go from Claire talking about how happy she is to make Show Group to Kelli and Judy being "back at the office" in their leopard print and red tops about to cut Meredith. Why rearrange the order of events? I don't even see how that clarifies or amplifies Meredith's story of getting cut. Why not have the Show Group episode before the TW/MRS episode? It also changes some of the context for MRS's roundtable discussion and voting on Hannah, Kristen, Meredith, etc., since it means MRS was commenting after seeing Show Group and the rehearsal where Meredith ends up getting cut. It just seems confusing and unnecessary and it adds to my viewer sense that I can't really trust what I'm seeing. I mean, it's reality TV, so I shouldn't trust it anyway, but it just makes me feel more manipulated than I like.

On a different note, I loved seeing so much of the solos during SG auditions and that so much of the episode was dancing. What was Kristen's weird, slow pulsing she was doing with some of her moves? Just about everything in that solo was cringeworthy to me.

It makes a lot more sense with her original music and the context. While a solid solo, had its issues.  Not nearly as bad as edited tho, yikes. 

Kristin posted on her Instagram if you want to see with the music and the story behind it. Super supportive posts frim quite a few DCC as well! 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJZuxIbhw6D/?igshid=1zoowei4k63d

• Love 10
1 hour ago, M1977G said:

I'm confused on the timing and editing of the last two episodes. Kelli was wearing her leopard print top and Judy her glam red blouse from episode 5 when they cut Meredith at the end of episode 6. So, Show Group auditions happened after Travis Wall's visit and before the MRS rehearsal visit we saw last week? I noticed at some points when MRS was talking last night, she was wearing the red tank and light earrings from episode 5 (like when she was talking about VK rocking point and how Alora-Rose just can't match up next to her). It's just weird editing

Yes lots of edited in voice over commentary this episode....All of Melissa's commentary "about show group" was done from her "last week outfit."  Clear lack of concern for continuity. We were also shown last week a "ranking board" that had the show group sticker votes on them. That was last episode and the girls positions were obviously done after show group performances - Kristin ended up in the bottom, Brennan moved down slots... whereas Hannah had three sticker votes (Melissa, Neil, and Scott) and had moved to the #32 position (not just at 36 like we saw last night). The editing like this always leaves some real unanswered questions about what stories they are wanting us to see. Either that -  or these editors are just all first year rookies themselves.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I'm giving Melissa R (and everyone else) a pass on outfits this season...

A pass in what they are wearing and when/how often they wear a particular clothing piece for zoom calls.

We all have our "at home on camera outfit(s)" and our "at home off camera outfit(s) "  - esp of your position only requires you to be on camera  a very short time and/or not every day.. 

Not everyone is rotating outfits faster or re-dressing head-to-toe for every single camera at-home call.  I think some have figured out which outfits/colors, esp the upper half, looks better (or decent) on camera than others.

Edited by sATL
clarified about wearing outfits on camera calls
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, sATL said:

I'm giving Melissa R a pass on outfits this season...

We all have our "at home on camera outfit(s)" and our "at home off camera outfit(s) "  - esp of your position only requires you to be on camera  a very short time and/or not every day..

Just to make sure I was clear - I was just commenting on how her outfits and commentary didn't match up from a chronological point of view. Her comments about show group were made in the same outfit that was aired on the LAST episode.  Wasn't commenting on her style. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

All I have to say is Claire is amazing. Her solo made me cry. It was so beautiful. So was Gina’s and McKenzie. I cry so much easier in 2020. It was nice to see something beautiful! 

Another one I noticed for the first time was Dani. She’s gorgeous and performed really well this episode. 

Meredith is terrible. I mean how did she even dance at a game last year? Her cut was sad though. I feel bad for her. If auditions had been normal, she never would’ve made it past finals. 

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 5

I’m sorry but the masks are so stupid on this show. So they’re all standing around during the auditions, watching, no one in masks. They don’t wear masks while dancing in groups. Then at the end they’re all standing out there masked up. I mean, it’s just eyeroll inducing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, DragonFlyzz said:

Occasionally I think doing what they do best doesn’t work for them.  I think since Kat the lyrical gymnast, from a few seasons back, had struggled with power as a rookie doing another lyrical solo didn’t help her when she reauditioned.  It wasn’t fair to ding her for her solo that season but they did.  So much for telling them to do what they do best.

18-year old Brianna from NJ was another well trained technical dancer whose solo Kelly, in particular, loved.  Despite atrocious kicks Brianna made it into training camp but couldn’t translate her technical training into DCC style.  Legacy Madeline was yet another classically trained dancer with a lovely solo who couldn’t adapt.

Sometimes they put too much weight on the solos.  A meh solo doesn’t mean they can’t pick up DCC choreography and an amazing solo doesn’t mean that they can.

I think the problem with rhythmic gymnast Kat was that she didn't add power to her performance when doing the DCC-style part of the audition (and bc she got flustered during interviews after Brenda ripped her a new one for her outfit choice).  If I remember correctly,  the judges loved her solo but she got outdanced on the field. 

The same can be said for NJ Brianna and Madeline.....technically they are BEAUTIFUL performers,  but they lacked power.   We've seen it time snd time again, if you can't do DCC power, you aren't going to make the team.

• Love 2

Don't they do their personal style auditions for show group because if they are selected, they can do that kind of routine as a solo when SG performs? It doesn't have to mesh with the DCC style, since it is assumed they can do the DCC style or they wouldn't be on the team.

The editing and lack of continuity from episode to episode, as has been pointed out is really making this show even less fun to watch. 

I am glad that Meredith is gone, for her sake and ours. And I definitely hope she does not decide to come back and try again! As many of you have stated, she never should have been selected last year. She had so many chances and she still fumbled her way through. I did like that Kelly told her that she can't make the team with only 1 yes vote. (Even if that yes was from Kelly, so I am glad that Kelly finally realized that she was wrong about Meredith, girl crush aside.) I guess she is pretty, but I don't find her as gorgeous as many do. She just comes across as not very bright and certainly not very self-aware. But, her solo was beautiful.

• Love 2

ashlee's solo ❤️ someone other than maddie doing hip hop, god bless. i'm so sick of seeing everyone do the exact same leaps and turns and writhing. i get it takes skill but it's still boring. i loved seeing her do charm's choreo. 'ashlee's on fire on that' yasssss my queen

the butchering of kristin's solo was even worse in the context of the episode, ugh

'i thought that when meredith took the stage for her solo meredith was back.' HUH? meredith's always been amazing at her own stuff, terrible at dcc style. why is that so hard to acknowledge?

brennan's hair looked SO GOOD

neal stans hannah lol. same 😞

how could meredith be that delusional? 'yeah my spot is fine...i don't know what we're going to talk about' huh? her cut was so brutal, though. poor thing. you had a year to get this right and all the passes in the world...it's just not gonna happen and that's ok. there's more to life, meredith, especially for someone as beautiful and talented as you. but this means a crazy amount to her...usually cut vets don't ask if they should come back, or even want to. i wonder if she'll try out again. maybe a year off will make her realize it's fine to let it go. we haven't seen a cut like that in a longggg time. she's so beautiful even without makeup wow

it's not impossible in general—erin was terrible and then came back and killed it. i think meredith just won't be able to get it, tho, it seems impossible for her

i don't like kelli, lol, but i don't think she was cold. she's been meredith's only champion. i think she was just trying to hold it together honestly

Edited by vanillagum
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Don't they do their personal style auditions for show group because if they are selected, they can do that kind of routine as a solo when SG performs? It doesn't have to mesh with the DCC style, since it is assumed they can do the DCC style or they wouldn't be on the team.

The editing and lack of continuity from episode to episode, as has been pointed out is really making this show even less fun to watch. 

I am glad that Meredith is gone, for her sake and ours. And I definitely hope she does not decide to come back and try again! As many of you have stated, she never should have been selected last year. She had so many chances and she still fumbled her way through. I did like that Kelly told her that she can't make the team with only 1 yes vote. (Even if that yes was from Kelly, so I am glad that Kelly finally realized that she was wrong about Meredith, girl crush aside.) I guess she is pretty, but I don't find her as gorgeous as many do. She just comes across as not very bright and certainly not very self-aware. But, her solo was beautiful.

That had to hurt... that was a deep kick in the ass....  of all of the judges (not sure if Meredith did a quick tally) - only 1 vote.. 

Even just sitting there with when Kelli told her - she had to realize that one or possible both of them didn't want to continue on with camp - ie she didn't know Kelli was the "yes" vote ...the camera did go to Judy for a second...

2 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

I’m sorry but the masks are so stupid on this show. So they’re all standing around during the auditions, watching, no one in masks. They don’t wear masks while dancing in groups. Then at the end they’re all standing out there masked up. I mean, it’s just eyeroll inducing. 

I am assuming that when in their bubble they can take off the mask but when in a public space where outsiders come in they must wear the mask. Similar to if I’m home with family, we don’t wear the mask, but as soon as we step out the door, masks are worn. For the auditions, maybe only the DCC and select CMT crew that were part of the bubble were allowed. 

I agree Meredith isn't a fit for DCC.  But I loved her.  She doesn't seem to have a mean bone in her beautiful body.  I wish her the very best and hope she finds her place.  It's out there somewhere.

So are we allowed to do one of those pink squares (like a few posts above) that says "reveal spoiler?"  And then you click on it and it does.

• Love 7

Tough watch. I never rated Meredith as a DCC style performer but I was really sad for her. 

Really shocked by the edit they gave Kristin's solo - it was an artistic piece and they made her look so so bad. I feel like it's a warning shot to other dancers not to do political pieces - am I being melodramatic?

Does anyone know if the weight standards have changed? I personally don't mind the ladies having more attainable figures but it's definitely a different aesthetic - are they being lenient because of covid or has the overall standard shifted?

I also think they should be making cuts earlier rather than stretching it out - Alora is so so baddddd. She slurs her way through the dance - it's weird because Rockettes have beautiful articulation. I guess she just can't get the style down. 

Poor Hannah seems really unwell and in a bad place. 

Kat - ughhh I like her as a person and as an entertainer but her technique is just not great. Ashlee on the other hand has worked so hard - she was one of the weakest at the start of her rookie year and is now a sensation. It shows that "you need to start when you're five to have dance technique" is just wrong. Compared to Caroline etc obviously her technique isn't perfect but her musicality is so incredible!!

Clare. Clare. Clare. Why do they have people like Alora still there when Clare will kick their butt?? 

I like that there's a variety of looks this year - less blending!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dccfangirl said:

It shows that "you need to start when you're five to have dance technique" is just wrong.

Starting to dance when you're younger does give you an advantage which is why it's usually better to start sooner rather than later, but it's still not a guarantee of anything. Some girls who start dancing at a young age never develop good technique, and some girls who start dancing later have great technique even without all the extra years of training. I knew a girl who didn't start dancing until eighth grade (which is considered SUPER late) and two years later she was one of the cleanest/most technical dancers on our high school dance team. She could do perfect 180 degree switch leaps, fouettés, triple pirouettes, etc and everything she did was so clean whether it was ballet, jazz, contemporary, etc. Some people are just naturally gifted.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, dccfangirl said:

Does anyone know if the weight standards have changed? I personally don't mind the ladies having more attainable figures but it's definitely a different aesthetic - are they being lenient because of covid or has the overall standard shifted?

Could be several reasons:

Victoria gained 11 pounds in Season 11 and when Kelli mentioned it to Kitty, was told to "give her the respect to lose the weight".  This didn't go over well with a lot of fans and comments have been made about how unfair the whole thing was considering the DCC standards and others being cut for weight.  

ViacomCBS got a new president last season who wants the show to send a positive message - talk about weight isn't very positive

Perhaps K&J have decided to focus more on a healthy look, going with the times - which is great, although I doubt that's it

Or they just don't want the backlash from fans

• Love 9
3 hours ago, laprin said:

I am assuming that when in their bubble they can take off the mask but when in a public space where outsiders come in they must wear the mask. Similar to if I’m home with family, we don’t wear the mask, but as soon as we step out the door, masks are worn. For the auditions, maybe only the DCC and select CMT crew that were part of the bubble were allowed. 

No. The “bubble” is simply what they refer to as the group staying at the Gaylord Texan. All of these girls have mixed with each other.... during show group auditions they wear them when they come in and during wrap up, but at no other time.  It’s just pointless. I really hate doing things for show. The way they’ve worn masks is completely ineffective. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, dccfangirl said:

Tough watch. I never rated Meredith as a DCC style performer but I was really sad for her. 

Really shocked by the edit they gave Kristin's solo - it was an artistic piece and they made her look so so bad. I feel like it's a warning shot to other dancers not to do political pieces - am I being melodramatic?

I also think they should be making cuts earlier rather than stretching it out - Alora is so so baddddd. She slurs her way through the dance - it's weird because Rockettes have beautiful articulation. I guess she just can't get the style down. 

Poor Hannah seems really unwell and in a bad place. 

Kat - ughhh I like her as a person and as an entertainer but her technique is just not great. Ashlee on the other hand has worked so hard - she was one of the weakest at the start of her rookie year and is now a sensation. It shows that "you need to start when you're five to have dance technique" is just wrong. Compared to Caroline etc obviously her technique isn't perfect but her musicality is so incredible!!

Clare. Clare. Clare. Why do they have people like Alora still there when Clare will kick their butt?? 

I like that there's a variety of looks this year - less blending!

I definitely feel like the weight standards have changed. As beautiful of a dancer as Clare is I feel like last year they would've talked about her figure and they would've labelled Sydney bottom heavy. I obviously think they look great.

I really don't know how Alora-Rose is still there. If she wasn't a former Rockette then I think she would've been cut at least two episodes ago.

• Love 14
28 minutes ago, writeme93 said:

I definitely feel like the weight standards have changed. As beautiful of a dancer as Clare is I feel like last year they would've talked about her figure and they would've labelled Sydney bottom heavy. I obviously think they look great.

I really don't know how Alora-Rose is still there. If she wasn't a former Rockette then I think she would've been cut at least two episodes ago.

Wish we had seen Alora-Rose solo more. She seemed to be dressed in some high cut number with fishnets and high heels?  broadway/rockette vibes. I think Kelli loves her for her look and status. Seems like her pet of the season.

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 6.34.05 PM.png

Edited by Tuxcat
went back to watch
  • Love 6
58 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Wish we had seen Alora-Rose solo more. She seemed to be dressed in some high cut number with fishnets and high heels?  broadway/rockette vibes. I think Kelli loves her for her look and status. Seems like her pet of the season.

I agree I wish we could've seen more too.

She's definitely Kelli's next favorite and excels in her own lane,  but not at the DCC style. 

Edited by writeme93
typos
  • Love 5

I will preface this by saying I have been #TeamKristin since the first year she tried out so I am probably not the most impartial person. It was a super bad edit that they gave Kristin in terms of music overlay.  For a non dancer like myself what I saw on insta with proper music the solo was nice, didnt hate it but it didn't make me cry either. It's hard with the 20 seconds of solo we saw on the show with the terrible music to actually determine whether she was actually on the beat or not. There is also no actual way of knowing the comments from the judges are actually about kristin and not about someone else who wasn't shown. We saw Judy say in her talking head that Kristin wasn't her best but the other comments  when Judt was at the table with Kelly and the judges are in the background they all said 'She' and never actually said Kristin... And there is 40 something 'she's' they could be referring to. We didnt see every solo, they could have been talking about anyone. The editing also didnt show any of the feedback from the other girls when she got off stage - it probably didn't fit the storyline they are trying to give us. We know how liberal the editing can be so my spidey sense says there is something more to this and we are getting a different narrative than what actually occurred. 

I loved that they made the girls do Denise and Evans choreo without warning. 

I love the costumes for Charms dance. I know a few people aren't fans of the football outfit look but I love it. 

I wanted to throw my computer when Meredith said she had done all she could have. Mate, you did not. If you did you would have busted your chops doing power pom classes all year.  A beautiful dancer and I was actually really sad to see her cut but you didnt have the style and you appeared to do nothing to actually get the style! 

• Love 10

I haven’t seen this season yet because of region restrictions but wanted to respond to the comments re. a (hopefully) more lenient standard in weights.

If that’s true, that’s absolutely amazing. A lot of these girls have become way too skinny, up to a point where it’s unhealthy and lose their feminine curves. The very visible rib cages in some of the poses make me cringe!
No muffin tops of course, that would be awful in that uniform, but most girls would look better with a few  pounds extra.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, kalibean said:

It makes a lot more sense with her original music and the context. While a solid solo, had its issues.  Not nearly as bad as edited tho, yikes. 

Kristin posted on her Instagram if you want to see with the music and the story behind it. Super supportive posts frim quite a few DCC as well! 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJZuxIbhw6D/?igshid=1zoowei4k63d

Ok....so this solo is nowhere near as bad as they made it out to be on the show. I liked it. No, It's not the best solo ever, but they acted like it was one of the worst solos that they had seen. I tend to agree with the other poster that their real issue is that it was political. Rather than just be honest about that, they overlayed it with music that is nothing like what she actually danced to and pretended like she was totally offbeat - I mean, maybe her performance at show group auditions was especially bad, but I'm doubting that. The fact that Scott and Neil McCoy were both a yes for her reinforces that for me - neither would care about politics. Charlotte and Kelli on the other hand - absolutely. 

I feel bad for Meredith, but she needed to go. The clip of her and Ashley dancing Charm's piece next to each other was really glaring. Meredith was completely off. Kelli is nuts for giving her a "yes" - who cares if she is a good lyrical dancer if she is weak at power pom? I actually think she looked worse than her rookie season. I know that she and Kat are often lumped together, but there's no comparison, IMO. Kat may make mistakes, but she looked great in the clips of her dancing the DCC choreography. Meredith always looks like she is a half step behind. 

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 15

Lilidutch- prepare yourself to still see plenty of ribs when the episodes become available to you

ok so I’m hating the editing. At the end of the episodes Kelly mentions Brennan isn’t dancing as well but we have hardly even seen her! Nothing I have seen goes along with Kelly’s comment. 

I thought Kristin had the worst solo but who knows with the editing? I would have pulled her in the office after show group audition. 

did I miss something? Why was VK in the center of her group? Is she a group leader? She still strikes me as goofy and uncontrolled. Lots of rookies are going to be coming to get her because she seems basic to me. 

where is Jalyn? They have not shown her at all! And she didn’t make show group again! 

meredith- *I felt bad for her but she should have seen that cut coming. I wasn’t expecting it that soon though, especially since Kelly voted to keep her. I’ve never really enjoyed any of the girls who cry a lot. Brianna from NJ cried all the time and honestly should have been cut the 2nd week of training camp but she was Kelly’s crush. Meredith is constantly crying. Kelly seemed pretty cold during the cut. She finally found it in herself to soften up a little but neither of them stood up to give her a hug after the cut. 

I’m glad Kitty is back!

25 minutes ago, Kate2006 said:

did I miss something? Why was VK in the center of her group? Is she a group leader? She still strikes me as goofy and uncontrolled. Lots of rookies are going to be coming to get her because she seems basic to me. 

They can only have 5 on stage so they split the groups to have a couple vets and a couple rookies in each of the smaller groups. 

• Love 1

Regarding Meredith being clueless. I think its important we all remember that this isn't a normal 10 week training camp. The rookies were there for an entire one week. Then the vets arrived for the next week. And then boom - done - training camp over.  So Meredith was probably actually only there a few days. And we know from the editing goofs that show group auditions actually occurred prior to Melissa's eval - session - the reverse of what is shown. Since Meredith received a lot of praise for her solo maybe she legitimately  thought things were going okay. Plenty of other rookies and even vets were getting corrections - Alora Rose, Sydney, Tori, Jessica, Jada, Hannah, Brennan, Lily, Ashlee .... just a few we've seen but in reality Judy gives out corrections all the time. So I can see where Meredith genuinely thought she was okay and just needed to "polish" the new dances.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Regarding Meredith being clueless. I think its important we all remember that this isn't a normal 10 week training camp. The rookies were there for an entire one week. Then the vets arrived for the next week. And then boom - done - training camp over.  So Meredith was probably actually only there a few days. And we know from the editing goofs that show group auditions actually occurred prior to Melissa's eval - session - the reverse of what is shown. Since Meredith received a lot of praise for her solo maybe she legitimately  thought things were going okay. Plenty of other rookies and even vets were getting corrections - Alora Rose, Sydney, Tori, Jessica, Jada, Hannah, Brennan, Lily, Ashlee .... just a few we've seen but in reality Judy gives out corrections all the time. So I can see where Meredith genuinely thought she was okay and just needed to "polish" the new dances.

Meredith wasn’t a rookie she was a vet.  A vet who had serious struggles as a rookie.  Struggles that she still hadn’t overcome.  I think she really lacks self-awareness.  She shouldn’t need anyone to tell her when she’s messing up the choreography.  She should know when she’s off timing wise and when she makes a misstep. At one point Judy asked her if she knew what she’d done wrong and despite her affirmative response I don’t believe she did know.

I think Meredith was more at risk than a lot of the others.  She was one of the weakest veterans in training camp and she was being out danced by most of the rookies.  She was coming back after a season on the squad and was still making the same mistakes.  The fact that she was unaware that she was hanging by a thread was part of her problem.  Either she thought she was good so she didn’t work hard enough or she worked really hard and still couldn’t get her arms around it.  In either case she didn’t have what it takes to be a DCC.

I hope she finds something that she loves and at which she excels.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, sATL said:

I'm not buying $$ was the sole reason she did one year at Nebraska , after YEARS of paying for her craft, and suddenly got a payload to go to AZ to offset the tuition and fees that NE costs.

There is more to this story..🍿

Like what?

• Love 5

I had to laugh when Judy said that we would see "lots of different dance styles" during the show group solos. No, Judy, we will see what we always see which is 80% of the girls doing a contemporary competition routine with fouettés/à la seconde turns, fan kicks, and calypso leaps.

Despite the repetitive choreography that most of the girls use in their solos, I wish we'd seen more than a few seconds of a handful of routines. We have the time, people!

12 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

No. The “bubble” is simply what they refer to as the group staying at the Gaylord Texan. All of these girls have mixed with each other.... during show group auditions they wear them when they come in and during wrap up, but at no other time.  It’s just pointless. I really hate doing things for show. The way they’ve worn masks is completely ineffective. 

Exactly. It's so annoying to see them wearing masks because it's pretty obvious that they're being super inconsistent and nonsensical about when they have to wear them. Their alleged safety precautions are totally perfomative because what they're doing is so ineffective. You have to wear masks you're in the dance room except when you don't! Before show group auditions began, there were some girls sitting on the stage and someone in red was just holding a mask in front of her face. She didn't have any straps on and the mask wasn't touching her face, which is basically the same as not wearing a mask. When Meredith was brought down from her hotel room to talk to Kelli and Judy, she had a mask strapped to her face but she was shown pulling it down completely to talk to whoever walked her down. Again, useless.

That's why all of the air hugs after show group was announced were so lame. During solos, you could see the girls up in the balcony and they were sitting/standing right next to each other with no masks on. If you can do that, you can hug. But no, we have to make a big show of "look, we're wearing masks (sometimes) and socially distancing (sometimes) except when we aren't!"

12 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

The shoes she's wearing are LaDucas. They're worn by many professional Broadway dancers. The Rockettes wear them too. It's nice to see someone who really points her feet.

10 hours ago, onthebubble said:

MRS: 'No rookie candidate wants to dance next to VK!'

Yeah probably worrying bout VK falling out of turns and falling in to them 🤣

Hahahaha, I thought the same thing! I wouldn't want to dance next to her because I'd be afraid she would smack me with a wayward arm or just fall on top of me after falling out of her pirouettes!

On 12/29/2020 at 8:32 PM, dbell1 said:

Is the flowing top in now? Before only VK wore it for solos and now they’re all floating around the stage looking ethereal.

They've been popular in contemporary for a while now. I think that in previous seasons, the girls who auditioned were hesitant to wear anything like that for solos since the rules for the rest of the audition process is bra top and bootie shorts.

Speaking of costumes, Claire's was awful. I don't mind a slip dress but the combined effect of the cut and the fabric made it look like the cheap polyester slip that's sewn inside a $20 dress from Wet Seal.

Another thing I noticed during the solos was that Marissa had some sloppy technique. For example, in this leap, her right foot and her right knee should be at the same level as her left foot and knee.

marissa.thumb.jpg.04d4384d59cb4fd752372e5fee462216.jpg

Part of me feels bad when girls get cut and fall apart because it's obviously disappointing for them and that's always hard to see. But Meredith was delusional if she thought that she had danced better than she had ever danced in the last few days. Girl, you don't know the choreography!

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, abracadabra said:

Like what?

I have my speculations, but I can't prove. I don't want to start a rumor that I can't prove.  There is sometimes a back story is more than what is presented during these little snippets on the show. People find and spent money on what they want to... and won't spend money, even if they have it, on what they don't want to.

speculations come from being a parent - who has learned  to find a way to overcome obstacles and knowing the cost of college is extremely high. Also knowing that tuition bill negotiations do exist and happen with the financial aid office - like waiving out of state fees. It just seems like you work hard and provide financially all of k-12 to learn your craft, whether that be academics, dance , sports, etc, where there is a will , there is a way . There are books, websites, counselors, and financially planners that come up with legal , honest and creative ways to pay for college.

I also respect that for some families taking out a student loan (or other creative financing) , or perhaps having their kid-adult going to far from home (the story mentioned NYC/LA), is a no-go for them.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2