Type keyword(s) to search

S15 E06: Upstaged

ByTor
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, StillHere said:

They don't mind the women using the DCC brand as a platform to support the US military. Using logic and objectivity, as the proverb goes, 'you can't have it both ways'.

Wrong. The Cowboys organization has always supported the military.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

It just doesn't seem like "real" hip hop to me.  Maybe it's just her trying to "look" like a hip hopper.  I don't know.

I agree. Maddie always seems to be spoofing Hip Hop or something. She can do the hip hop esque style but it doesn't look like actual hard emotion hitting Hip Hop. Not saying she's bad but its just different.

6 hours ago, Grandma Moses said:

Yay, me too! I missed Kitty Carter's hilarious commentary and hope we get to hear more.

I think I've outgrown her or something. Her style, along with Kelli and Charlottes appalled over the top reactions to Kristin last week, just really seem outdated. I don't enjoy these three 'ladies' tearing girls down anymore for my pleasure and ratings. So much editing and manufactured drama that its just hard to watch. Maybe that is why Judy is more silent these days? I honesty used to love Kitty - not sure what's changed --but she just seems mean to be mean.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Grandma Moses said:

What about her dancing? You don't like the pop? She's effervescent in the way she is and the way she dances. It's more than a look.

I thought her dancing looked really sloppy. her legs didn't fully extend and looked like she had sickled feet

• Love 2
On 1/3/2021 at 8:45 PM, DancerMom said:

Chandi is looking good (obviously a pet of Kelly’s) but she made show group with three votes? That may be why we didn’t see Jalyn’s performance. 

Wow interesting thought!  I always thought Kelli cut competition out early so that VK would stand out more against other TCC candidates, so its possible she is still doing it in little ways.

Hannah looked awful. Lack of energy and technique wasn’t as strong. 
Chandi is looking good (obviously a pet of Kelly’s) but she made show group with three votes? That may be why we didn’t see Jalyn’s performance. 

I mean Hannah got three show group votes too so she couldn't have been that awful. But yeah the only votes that count for show group are Kelli and Judy. IIRC Lexie only got 2?

• Useful 1

LONG time lurker, from TWOP days. 
This show is one of my faves because I love dancing. 
Here are some of my thoughts:

Claire is a beautiful dancer (one of my faves). Her outfit was typical for lyrical performances.  She looked “glam” for other dances.  I think some of the vets are intimidated by her. 
I love Jada! I was so glad we got to see her solo. Such great extensions. She has such great energy and seems so like-able/sweet. 
Marissa seems genuine to me! Not sure why so many dislike her. I thought she was surprised to make show group and was not expecting it. She is a great performer and has really good expressions. She has a competition dance background (as did Claire). She is from a town about thirty minutes from me. She seems like a typical Southern girl. 
Maddie can do hip hop. She hits the moves hard. I felt like Judy was almost justifying her being good in that style though.  I agree not point material as far as looks but she is consistent. 
VK is good at DCC style but not impressive in her style.  When Charlotte said “amazing” after VK’s solo I felt like that was dubbed over from Jada’s  high kicks comments. What I saw was not amazing! 
Hannah looked awful. Lack of energy and technique wasn’t as strong. 
Glad they got rid of Meredith finally. She stood out in a bad way. 
Someone above said Jada is new Tess. What does that mean? 
Oh and Rachel W for point! 

Somehow I missed this post. (Just getting caught up after the holidays!). I agree with a lot of what's in here.

I think Jada is the new Mia. Once Jada gets a little pop in her style, there'll be no stopping her. It struck me immediately when she went over to a distressed Alora-Rose, encouraging her to breathe, making sure she was ok, that Jada is group leader material. You've got a born leader when someone in training camp can get out of whatever they're feeling and go be an encouragement to someone else who's in need. I wish they'd shown more of her solo this week! From the 3 seconds they showed us, it looked elegant and fluid.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

It just doesn't seem like "real" hip hop to me.  Maybe it's just her trying to "look" like a hip hopper.  I don't know.

Definitely from the “Nappy Tabs” school of hip hop - they did the poppy, watered down hip hop choreography on So You Think You Can Dance. It’s fun and sweet, but doesn’t have the grit and attitude of other accomplished hip hop choreographers for sure. 

Doesnt mean it can’t be fun to watch, and I enjoyed so many of their routines on SYTYCD, but I truly don’t get the Maddie accolades for it. This year’s editors didn’t seem to either! I do like the joy she shows in her face when she’s dancing tho, she definitely comes alive more so than when she’s having to speak live on camera. 

Amanda was #1 for solos, right? Wonder who got the last spot, or if it even mattered this year. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Grandma Moses said:

Wrong. The Cowboys organization has always supported the military.

I know they do now and I never said they didn't.

The Cowboys organization is having it both ways by presenting a piece of milquetoast activism, IMO, in the form in Mickey Guyton, while smearing one of their dancers to advance a plot. It is a warning shot. They know what they did and why, and based on the support and comments Kristen is getting on IG, so do many viewers.

• Love 7

I couldn't tell who was on the bottom of their screen during show group deliberations, but I could see it was 3 uniforms/vets.  I think that is unusual it may be because of the way they did TC this year, but I thought they tried to not allow vets to return to TC if they did not feel they had the best year, etc.  So, Meredith I get. what other vet is on that below 36?

With the exalted praise VK receives, apart from being alumni and Kelli's buddy, how does Tina Kalina fit into the picture? Is her husband a big-wig in Texas?

Apart from Cassie, legacy candidates come and go with little fanfare. There's got to be something more this.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Grandma Moses said:

Caroline posted her full solo on Instagram. 😀 I would love to see more of these! She did a great job interpreting “Purple Rain,” and even from the rafters you can see her wonderful technique and toe point: 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJrDspIljj_/?igshid=y26027e2vsq

She’s so light on her feet! And while we’ve seen her do a million tricks the past couple of years, this routine felt so technique based with carefully placed hands, etc. Less tricks and so many beautiful lines.  Shows so much confidence IMO. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

I couldn't tell who was on the bottom of their screen during show group deliberations, but I could see it was 3 uniforms/vets.  I think that is unusual it may be because of the way they did TC this year, but I thought they tried to not allow vets to return to TC if they did not feel they had the best year, etc.  So, Meredith I get. what other vet is on that below 36?

So in reality show group auditions occurred before the Melissa Rycroft stuff - the episodes are out of order  and the talking heads are all mixed up. But according to the board they accidentally showed up too early -  the one with the show group votes on them - Kristin, Lily,  and Meredith moved to be the vets in the bottom. Hannah, at one point was in the bottom, then moved to #36 and then after show group auditions got three votes and moved up to  #32 (despite the edit we saw). Brennan moved down as did Sydney and Jada. Kat moved up.  Much of this is contrary to the talking heads of course but it lines up with Chandi getting three and Marissa getting six...

Also Amanda only got 5 votes. But I say again the only votes that matter are Kelli and Judy. They like you and you're in no matter what the others say. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 2.05.18 PM.png

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, StillHere said:

With the exalted praise VK receives, apart from being alumni and Kelli's buddy, how does Tina Kalina fit into the picture? Is her husband a big-wig in Texas?

Apart from Cassie, legacy candidates come and go with little fanfare. There's got to be something more this.

IIRC, he’s got a pretty normal job. Regional director (?) for a restaurant chain? I think it really does just come down to TK and Kelli being besties since their days as DCC. VK grew up playing wkth Kelli’s kids and she’s know Kelli her whole life. And the rest of the organization. Plenty of normal income folks have pampered princess kiddos! 

I’m one that doesn’t mind VK much and think she’s a fine cheerleader, but I don’t get her for show group. Especially as a rookie!  She’s so heavy on her feet (and it sticks out after watching Caroline. Cassie at least had a lovely singing voice, great figure and her tumbling to make up for her rookie dance struggles. (Tho not much can be said for the attitude.  VK is immature in a goofy package, Cassie just seemed shy her rookie year and witchy by the end.) 

Edited by kalibean
Bc FCC and DCC are very, very different entities. Lol.
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, kalibean said:

I’m one that doesn’t mind VK much and think she’s a fine cheerleader, but I don’t get her for show group. Especially as a rookie!  She’s so heavy on her feet (and it sticks out after watching Caroline. Cassie at least had a lovely singing voice, great figure and her tumbling to make up for her rookie dance struggles. (Tho not much can be said for the attitude.  VK is immature in a goofy package, Cassie just seemed shy her rookie year and witchy by the end.) 

I actually like Victoria in pom and think that's where she shines. Similar to Cassie, she's tall with a great body and blonde hair. Eye catching. You're right that Cassie had the voice and the actual gymnast/cheering thing too. That does make her more valuable back when show group was actually traveling around. But they don't do that anymore do they?

Victoria's lyrical routines are just not fun. Someone once said they look "effortful." You watch someone like Caroline and there is really no comparison. The dance that Caroline posted, it was an example of this - though there were some problems I think with a few of her balance poses. I think Erin, Hannah, Claire... are actually more controlled in terms of those finer details but all gifted.  

• Love 4

Yes! VK in Pom is so much more fun to watch. Long legs, power, bright smile, long blonde hair everywhere. It’s showy and fun. The lyrical is just not where she shines. Plenty of good ingredients but it just makes a messy cake 😂

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Victoria's lyrical routines are just not fun. Someone once said they look "effortful."

I agree with this. Watching her dance lyrical solos is a bit painful because she looks like she’s falling out of every dance move.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kalibean said:

Yes! VK in Pom is so much more fun to watch. Long legs, power, bright smile, long blonde hair everywhere. It’s showy and fun. The lyrical is just not where she shines. Plenty of good ingredients but it just makes a messy cake 😂

VK doing pom is okay.  She's definitely NOT the best and it shows (popping up early at least a couple of times where it was VERY obvious that she'd done so, dancing so "big" that she is off-beat/off-tempo and looks sloppy, etc.) but she's cleaned SOME of that up, not all, but some of it.  However, she's supposedly done lyrical a LOT and it is supposedly her best style yet so many girls on the squad also do it and blow her out of the water while so doing so due to her lack of technique, lack of core strength, lack of control and SO many other things.  Not only that, Kelli holds her up as the gold-standard girl on the squad, the one who everyone's supposed to emulate.  World-class?  I don't think so.  

While Caroline's solo might not have been everyone's cup of tea, she showed everyone how it's done in terms of dancing to the very tips of her fingers and toes.  Erin has also had some VERY pretty lyrical pieces that also blow Victoria's best performances out of the water.  Several other girls as well. 

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

I agree with this. Watching her dance lyrical solos is a bit painful because she looks like she’s falling out of every dance move.

I honestly think she moves well when given choreo with more momentum, but she’s a bit awkward in the transitions IMO. 

Given, I’m about ten years removed from my own dance experience, so I don’t claim that my opinion amounts to much 🤷‍♀️

17 hours ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

I would love to see her solo this year so we can see a repeat of her struggling to get her leg lifts up and her pained facial expressions that feature her huge teeth and nostril flare! 🙄

Edited by rl27rl
On 1/5/2021 at 3:15 PM, Tuxcat said:

Victoria's lyrical routines are just not fun. Someone once said they look "effortful."

On 1/5/2021 at 5:31 PM, 123DCCWoooo said:

Fixed that for you!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 2/25/2021 at 10:24 AM, kylieanne said:

Yes, he creeps me out and makes me uncomfortable. 

This comes up frequently...he isn't a perv in any sense...he's a huge hillbilly goofball with a great eye for entertainers. You'll notice those 'hot, hot, hot' comments and others can-be-contstrued-as-inappropriate are all during judges meetings, not during evaluations. During evaluations he's totally focused on the dancing, interviews, etc in front of him. Neal & I have friends in common, men & women...no woman who he & I both know has ever said anything untoward about Neal...he gets rave reviews as a friend and as an entertainer. He's brought along the careers of many successful people in the country music business. His opinions are frequently sought out, including by DCC. 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, ByTor said:

Well, Neal knows how to distract people from pee on the floor 😄

Reminds me how much I miss Candace Romo as a judge!  Lightheartedly bagged on Kelli and overshared to make a candidate feel better (belatedly.) 

• Love 13
9 hours ago, kalibean said:

Reminds me how much I miss Candace Romo as a judge!  Lightheartedly bagged on Kelli and overshared to make a candidate feel better (belatedly.) 

I LOOOOVED Candace!!

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I LOOOOVED Candace!!

She was so refreshing! I don't really know anything about her, other than being married to Tony Romo, but she seemed really funny and lovely!

• Love 13
6 hours ago, DCC-UK said:

She was so refreshing! I don't really know anything about her, other than being married to Tony Romo, but she seemed really funny and lovely!

I enjoyed her a judge as well. I'd shove Cowboy politics aside and bring her back.

• Love 8