Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Forget Me Not

• Start Topic

Burnham and Adira visit the Trill homeworld in hopes of unlocking the secrets trapped within Adira's mind. Back on the U.S.S. Discovery, Saru's efforts to help the crew reconnect with one another take a surprising turn.

Maybe I'm out of touch with his talents in the comedy world but what I saw of that Buster Keaton movie didn't look that funny.

I appreciated Detmer telling Stamets off for thinking that his shit doesn't stink. I think Detmer is actually the first pilot in Star Trek history to express the burden of feeling responsible for the crew.

The sphere data took over the computer and started giving suggestions? Isn't that just a nicer version of the future we were trying to avoid last season? Skynet is inevitable I guess.

I am hoping that Adira being non-binary is not going to as a result of the symbiont. Over on Billions, Asia Kate Dillon's character Taylor has never had to justify being non-binary. They just are. It isn't a consequence of something they went through.

The symbiont seems to have changed a bit. Before it was always in a pouch in the stomach, not spread out along the spine. And I guess history doesn't remember the name William T. Riker based on the Trill's shock that a symbiont can survive in a non-Trill host.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I enjoyed the little family dinner... And stamets did need to get told off... Culber has been amazing this season... I assumed eventually that the sphere would start talking thru the ship... I hope for even more as times go on.. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I am hoping that Adira being non-binary is not going to as a result of the symbiont.

She is not non-binary yet. The Trill saw her as female and she agreed. Symbionts / Trill apparently default to a binary gender system. 

3 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Maybe I'm out of touch with his talents in the comedy world but what I saw of that Buster Keaton movie didn't look that funny.

It's kind of a Frederick Douglass situation.  Buster is an example of somebody who's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more.

54 minutes ago, paigow said:

I am hoping that Adira being non-binary is not going to as a result of the symbiont.

On one hand, Blu del Barrio not only agreed to this storyline, but in interviews seems enthusiastic about it.  On the other hand, I could see the way it happens in this storyline causing a lot of confusion when compared to actual people who identity this way in the real world.  Any time a bit of writing seems to come down on an apparent "made not born" position with issues of identity or gender, I've noticed there's trouble. That may not be by intent here, but effectively it's what's left hanging out there.  People WILL make more of it, even if it's not really supposed to be describing non-alien influenced non-binary people.  Errr... in other words all the real people, unless there's an alien population out there I don't know about!

Edited by Kromm

I loved this episode. I'm such a sap.

Now we don't have to worry about Adina Tal becoming Wesley Crusher the Second Coming.  Adina now has that gravitas needed for us not to see them as a bratty know-it-all.   It looked like all of Tal's previous hosts were Starfleet with the exception of Gray.  I also figured trauma was the reason Adira couldn't access the memories of the previous host.  Did Gray die within days of receiving the symbiont?  So then someone was holding the Tal symbiont after the death of the Admiral two years ago?  Going by the stardates, Adira gained the symbiont a year prior.  So many questions...

The family dinner was more of a success than Saru pictured! Now the crew was able to air out their discontent in a safe setting. Detmer's issues was PTSD with a sprinkling of resentment towards Stamets.  I'm glad Stamets apologized to Tilly.  He was afraid of being rendered irrelevant. 

So nobody does movie night in the future? Discovery doesn't even have a holodeck, does it?    

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

So nobody does movie night in the future? Discovery doesn't even have a holodeck, does it?  

It's from the pre-holodeck era.  

I will say that while I don't want the show to get too unfocused, they DID already bring up having access to the contemporary technology.  So I think if there's ever room in an episode, or in a Short Trek, they could introduce a holodeck as something they've acquired.  

26 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Did Gray die within days of receiving the symbiont?  So then someone was holding the Tal symbiont after the death of the Admiral two years ago? 

It's unclear how much time passed, but I'd peg it as weeks to months, not days.  Gray had the advantage of being a Trill admittedly, but the integration did seem pretty complete.  That DOES still leave a gap, but maybe one of the many technology improvements is that they can safely put a symbiote in stasis, unlike in DS9's time.

So far, they definitely are doing a better job at making Adira a fully-layered character and not as annoying as Wesley Crusher was, thanks to better writing and; with respect to Will Wheaton; Blu del Barrio being stronger on the acting front.  Glad that she will be sticking around, and I'm curious to see what is going to come with her still seeing Gray in her head.  And, hey, Gray is being played by Ian Alexander from The Last of Us: Part II!

The Trills didn't really come off looking too great here (outside of the one helpful one), but I guess it is understandable that the Burn would effect them and make them take extreme measures over what they believe in.  Fun seeing some recognizable faces in the role: especially Karen Robinson a.k.a. Ronnie from Schitt's Creek.  Although it did make me wonder how Ronnie herself would fare in the Star Trek Universe, which, in turn, led me to just wanting to see the entire Schitt's Creek gang in the Star Trek Universe.  The Roses (and Stevie, Patrick, etc.) in Space!

Saru's heart was certainly in the right place, but it was clear as day that his dinner was going to end poorly, since everyone understandably has issues that a simple meal won't fix.  At least Georgiou made sure the wine wasn't wasted!  And it did end up helping some of them address their issues, like Stamets pulling his head out of his ass and Detmer admitting that she does need help.  It all ending with a movie night was nice, but as with most things Trek, it's always funny that apparently pop culture in the universe ended in the 1950s or 1960s.  You never see anyone talking about 1980s movies or watching 1990s or 2000 era shows.  I know that the recent Trek movies weren't for everyone, but I liked that they would at least do things like having characters listen to the Beastie Boys and so forth, and that being considered "classics."

A good episode for Culber/Wilson Cruz.

I'm guessing that her absence was due Tig Notaro only being available/contracted for certain episodes, but it was weird not seeing Reno during all of this.

Next week:  

Spoiler

Oded Fehr?!

• Love 3

Well, there's a lot to unravel. 

• Seeing all the bric-à-brac in Burnham's quarter made me insanely happy as it means the writing is committed to 'new' Burnham. Further emphasized by her non Federation protocol handling of the Trill (too bad Georgiou wasn't around).
  • Culber is rapidly becoming my favorite ST Doc (sorry Bones).
  • Good for them to address the emotional toll the time-jump must have taken on the crew. 
  • Did we just see the birth of 'Zora'?
  • Loved the non-Thanksgiving dinner that went predictably wrong. Poor Saru has apparently never watched a single Sitcom. 
  • Glad Detmer got it out of her system and that it was not something freaky with her implants but good old-fashioned PTSD.
  • Snarky Adira was quite fun and her backstory earns the episode three hankies (five being the max. normally reserved for Call the Midwife). But someone should reign in the score - it would have been as touching with 75% less violins.
  • Georgiou daintily eating pop-corn was a nice throw-away scene.
Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

You never see anyone talking about 1980s movies or watching 1990s or 2000 era shows.  I know that the recent Trek movies weren't for everyone, but I liked that they would at least do things like having characters listen to the Beastie Boys and so forth, and that being considered "classics."

The crew threw a party in S1 where they played a Wyclef Jean song, and Reno mentioned having a dream where she was playing drums for Prince.

For practical purposes, they're either going to be stuck with things they can get cheaply (likely from the CBS/Paramount archive, as Funny Face is) or public domain, as the majority of Buster Keaton's films are.  

• Like 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, dwmarch said:

The symbiont seems to have changed a bit. Before it was always in a pouch in the stomach, not spread out along the spine. And I guess history doesn't remember the name William T. Riker based on the Trill's shock that a symbiont can survive in a non-Trill host.

If i remember correctly, that joining was unstable and would've killed Riker.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Did Archer get holodeck technology? TOS Animated series had a holodeck.

TOS Animated is set after TOS, so it's certainly also set after Seasons 1 and 2 of this show.  It's been a long time since I saw that show, but I bet what they showed as Holo Tech on that show was distinctly more primitive that what they'd eventually show on Next Generation. 

Since Discovery is supposed to be a Research ship however, I imagine it's certainly possible that they have some form of holo tech though even if an Exploration ship didn't a few years later. 

I've always gotten the impression that even the advanced holodecks had trouble hosting more than 4 or 5 people at a time due to the difficulty of handling/simulating movement and individual perspectives for each of them. I mean underneath it's just a medium sized single room.  So if the suggestion is that it would be there to help destress people, it would have to be on a relatively small scale.  They DID make a point on ST: Voyager, however, to make it clear that their Holodeck helped keep THEIR crew sane (remember all of the times we heard about "Captain Proton" on that show?), since they also faced removal from everything they knew and a reasonable suspicion it could be a lifelong separation (even if that later proved wrong).  Voyager was supposed to be a small ship though, so I can't imagine they had many Holodecks (Enterprise-D, a large ship, definitely had a whole bunch).

I know a holodeck DID appear on ST:E but I've looked it up. It was on an alien ship.  

So the answer?  Yes, I bet they COULD have one, but I don't think we have any reason to believe it would be anything other than primitive and limited in use. Again, it's an easy wank to just tell us one of the places they've stopped at already gave them the newest version of the tech.  Heck, with this Programmable Matter stuff, it would work even better than just with forcefields and replicators.

Edited by Kromm

So overall, that was quite a heartwarming episode.

6 hours ago, MissLucas said:
  • Culber is rapidly becoming my favorite ST Doc (sorry Bones).

I liked his chemistry with Saru. I'd love to see a Kirk/Bones vibe with them. 

Oh wow, maybe we did. Sweet

• Georgiou daintily eating pop-corn was a nice throw-away scene.

What's the name of the reptilian crew member who seems to be taking a shine to her? That person seems pretty cool.

• Love 3

I'm going to admit that I was mighty confused by the Long Lost Love of the 16 year old.  Not that you don't make a ridiculously big deal about your relationships when you're a teenager but idk I sure am glad I don't have my sophomore year boyfriend permanently bonded to me for the rest of my life.  It felt very akin to Airiam's Tragical Backstory and nothing like any relationship in real life. 5ccbeab0-1f4e-11eb-a68d-c303abd4de81_120 1*_rEBIRN3buQqM-j45M0OYA.png

SAME ENERGY

Culber did indeed have a great episode although it was a little disappointing that he handed off so much of it to Michael in classic Disco fashion.  He was great, Saru was great, and although I was very anti the idea of Detmer's problem being PTSD, I must eat crow here and admit that they actually did a really good job with it, it made sense and worked very well.  (I was like, why is it such a big deal that she got knocked over the panel once, after sooooo many near-death experiences in her life?  But they made it feel real.)  I even like the sentient computer situation.  Wasn't the ship sentient in that Short Trek?

12 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I love Buster Keaton but I agreed, this is not how people react to silent movies...but then I remembered that, as Mariner would surely point out (and wouldn't Mariner love hanging out with Georgiou?) these are all Starfleet nerds.  It's a wild night for them when they hold a book club in a room that feels like a suburban Holiday Inn event room.  This is probably the edgiest humor they've ever experienced.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, KimberStormer said:

I'm going to admit that I was mighty confused by the Long Lost Love of the 16 year old.  Not that you don't make a ridiculously big deal about your relationships when you're a teenager but idk I sure am glad I don't have my sophomore year boyfriend permanently bonded to me for the rest of my life.

Thank you!  I kept thinking that those Two Crazy Kids were a bit too young to be declaring everlasting love. 

Rather than how Adira got the Tal symbiont, which de facto had to be due to some catastrophic event, I'd like to know how/why Gray got it from Senna Tal.

Really missed Tig Notaro in this episode.  Jett would have killed it in that family dinner scene. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

So apparently Trill symbionts never join with non-Trill hosts, but Saru didn't bother to mention that when he contacted the Trill. He just let Adira and Michael surprise them with that fact when they landed on the planet. I like Saru as a captain, but that seemed like a big mistake. He really should have gotten the Trill reaction from a safe distance instead of letting Michael and Adira walk into a potentially dangerous situation.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Thank you!  I kept thinking that those Two Crazy Kids were a bit too young to be declaring everlasting love. 

Rather than how Adira got the Tal symbiont, which de facto had to be due to some catastrophic event, I'd like to know how/why Gray got it from Senna Tal  

Maybe Gray was the only Trill around. Or the only compatible one. 

she is still a teen. At some point Gray will probably back off, but his memories could use some closure, too. 

• Love 1

Gray is adorable. I did think the Trill changed their ancient deeply-held animonsity towards non-Trill hosts a little too easily, but that is classic Star Trek. To be fair, the only ther human to host a Trill (that we know of) was Riker, an experience he barely survived.

Did the replictor make the instrument Adira was playing or was it just lying around?

*Hugs Culbert*

• Love 2
22 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Riker's experience was about 800 years ago at this point and would not be classed as a successful pairing - it was always intended to be temporary, a stopgap measure forced by extreme circumstances, and did not work out particularly well - as @mrspidey says, the joining was unstable and Riker would have died if it had continued much longer. So it would certainly not be recalled by Trill history as a successful pairing.

16 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Well, there's a lot to unravel. 

Zora?

9 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

I was very anti the idea of Detmer's problem being PTSD, I must eat crow here and admit that they actually did a really good job with it, it made sense and worked very well.  (I was like, why is it such a big deal that she got knocked over the panel once, after sooooo many near-death experiences in her life?  But they made it feel real.) 

Detmer didn't just get 'knocked over the panel once'. Being flung over the panel and suffering another head injury while saving the lives of the entire crew by landing a ship that was not designed to be landed triggered the trauma of her near-fatal injury at the Battle of the Binary Stars, when a similar thing happened in far more devastating circumstances in which much of the crew was killed, a terrible interstellar war began, and she herself almost died (and has been left scarred for life, with bionic augmentation). Honestly, PTSD makes perfect sense and it has seemed clear to me since ep2 that that was what was going on. Because that's how triggers work. Her trauma isn't actually about the crash landing in S2, so much as that was just the trigger for something much deeper, heightened by Discovery's unique circumstances now, irrevocably separated from everything stable and familiar.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Zora is the name of the sentient computer/AI that took care of Aldis Hodge's character in 'Calypso'.

Thank you. I had completely forgotten that (the name of the computer, that is. I remember Aldis Hodge being mighty fine in Calypso 😉).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Rather than how Adira got the Tal symbiont, which de facto had to be due to some catastrophic event, I'd like to know how/why Gray got it from Senna Tal.

Really missed Tig Notaro in this episode.  Jett would have killed it in that family dinner scene. 

I'm willing to handwave Adina & Gray's relationship. They were orphans on a generational ship. All they had was each other apparently.  Gray was probably the only Trill on board the ship to accept the Tal symbiont because they usually don't join with a host that young.  In a nice twist, Adina had to accept Tal as opposed to the symbiont accepting her as a host.  Gray's love for her eased the job a bit.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I'm willing to handwave Adina & Gray's relationship. They were orphans on a generational ship. All they had was each other apparently.  Gray was probably the only Trill on board the ship to accept the Tal symbiont because they usually don't join with a host that young.  In a nice twist, Adina had to accept Tal as opposed to the symbiont accepting her as a host.  Gray's love for her eased the job a bit.  

Yeah, I'm willing to accept it. Teenagers always believe their current love is The One, everything is that much more intense. If Gray hadn't died, it might probably have fizzled out over time, but as it is, Gray was killed in front of her and then Adira went through the trauma of being joined and losing all her memories, so as she is only just remembering what happened, plus literally has possession of all Gray's memories, it makes sense that her grief is fresh and that she is clinging to his memory.

1 hour ago, GustavMahler said:

OK Episode despite ignoring lore....

What lore was ignored? Riker being a temporary Trill host? The Trill here specifically said there had never been a successful joining with a non-Trill host, which Riker's very much wasn't. As discussed above, the Riker thing was 800 years ago, ancient history, and would most definitely not be classed as a successful pairing, since it was short-lived as a stop-gap measure and almost killed him.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

What lore was ignored? Riker being a temporary Trill host? The Trill here specifically said there had never been a successful joining with a non-Trill host, which Riker's very much wasn't. As discussed above, the Riker thing was 800 years ago, ancient history, and would most definitely not be classed as a successful pairing, since it was short-lived as a stop-gap measure and almost killed him.

In DS9 they found out that all Trills could be hosts.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Helena Dax said:

In DS9 they found out that all Trills could be hosts.

The lore wasn't ignored; it's just that we, as the audience, knows what the true deal is.  No one on the Discovery would know and Adira surely didn't know, even though her boyfriend was a Trill himself.

The Trill government had more Hosts than Symbionts to join them with initially. They made up a Commission and a rigorous compatibility test to ensure that every Trill wouldn't get a Symbiont, which would have lowered the supply of symbionts.  The compatibility rate was 70% of Hosts can be joined. They didn't say how many Trill were left on the home planet, nor the number of symbionts still viable after the Burn.  I wonder if the Trill government knows of any others who may have survived the Burn in unorthodox ways. Maybe they wouldn't have been so shocked to find a symbiont with a Human host.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, paulvdb said:

He really should have gotten the Trill reaction from a safe distance instead of letting Michael and Adira walk into a potentially dangerous situation.

So true.  "Hoping for the best" isn't always the best plan!  I guess that's why he sent Burnham with her.  It was a bad decision on his part though.

On 11/5/2020 at 3:36 PM, MissLucas said:

Loved the non-Thanksgiving dinner that went predictably wrong.

Not to get into politics, but I have a feeling that many Thanksgiving dinners might look like that scene for some families this year.  😞  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

But at 16, you believe that it is going to be everlasting.

Add me to the voices happy that Adira isn't going to be another Wesley Crusher.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2020 at 7:31 AM, Llywela said:

Detmer didn't just get 'knocked over the panel once'. Being flung over the panel and suffering another head injury while saving the lives of the entire crew by landing a ship that was not designed to be landed triggered the trauma of her near-fatal injury at the Battle of the Binary Stars, when a similar thing happened in far more devastating circumstances in which much of the crew was killed, a terrible interstellar war began, and she herself almost died (and has been left scarred for life, with bionic augmentation).

I know that people have said this jokingly throughout the history of Star Trek, but the people flying the ship  should be strapped into their chairs.  It's ridiculous that each station on the bridge isn't equipped with the capability of being secured for those times when space travel gets bumpy!  

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, ChitChat said:

It's ridiculous that each station on the bridge isn't equipped with the capability of being secured for those times when space travel gets bumpy!  

Abramsverse installed seat belts...

image.png.b4e9991467642090b953aa34998f4500.png

• Love 1

Did anyone else get strong TNG vibes from this episode? Of course there was the Trill storyline, but we also had a shuttle landing that looked very “model composited on background”, aliens walking around in long flowing robes, a noble helpful alien, a murderous alien, an officious planetary leader...

Or was it just me?

• Love 2

Burnham with long hair, wearing makeup, and smiling a lot is taking some getting used to for me. I like it but it's quite a swerve from the first two seasons, IMO.

Why have they turned Culber into an exposition device?

When Thanksgiving dinner goes wrong. Next time they should put Detmer at the kids' table. Seriously though, that was a good portrayal of PTSD and how it can slowly take over someone and suddenly explode.

Literal boss threads. 🤗

On 11/5/2020 at 1:36 PM, MissLucas said:

Though it's not an in-universe confirmation, the IMDB entry for the episode lists Annabelle Wallis as "Zora (voice)". Annabelle Wallis provided Zora's voice in "Calypso" as well.

11 hours ago, tkc said:

Did anyone else get strong TNG vibes from this episode? Of course there was the Trill storyline, but we also had a shuttle landing that looked very “model composited on background”, aliens walking around in long flowing robes, a noble helpful alien, a murderous alien, an officious planetary leader...

Mercifully, the Prime Directive debate did not apply in this case...

The welcoming committee also embodied the fundamentalist / traditionalist vs progressive / liberal divide. 

7 hours ago, Starchild said:

So somehow Adira came back to Earth after the transfer. Wondering how that happened when it was an outbound generational ship, not inclined to turn around.

I think this is part of why I was so completely befuddled by Adira's Long Lost Teenage Love who she will literally be stuck with for the rest of her life, which I reiterate, sounds like hell to me.  (plz excuse the gender, I am going by what was on the show, and literally don't know what pronoun to use.)  How does this timeline work?  Generational ship implies generations in space, but Adira was picked up at Earth, and Admiral Tal was broadcasting from Earth like two years ago, right?  The whole Long Lost Love thing feels like it should have taken place like decades ago at least.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

I think this is part of why I was so completely befuddled by Adira's Long Lost Teenage Love

Likely that all 3 of them were on the same ship...something happened to Senna, so Tal was transplanted to Gray...then he was killed by the accident which forced the ship to return...

• Like 1
On 11/7/2020 at 2:23 PM, ChitChat said:

I know that people have said this jokingly throughout the history of Star Trek, but the people flying the ship  should be strapped into their chairs.  It's ridiculous that each station on the bridge isn't equipped with the capability of being secured for those times when space travel gets bumpy!  

Star Trek: Picard's main ship, La Sirena, has seatbelts. So I guess the takeaway is that if you want basic flight safety, go with a non-Starfleet vessel!

3 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

I think this is part of why I was so completely befuddled by Adira's Long Lost Teenage Love who she will literally be stuck with for the rest of her life, which I reiterate, sounds like hell to me.  (plz excuse the gender, I am going by what was on the show, and literally don't know what pronoun to use.)  How does this timeline work?  Generational ship implies generations in space, but Adira was picked up at Earth, and Admiral Tal was broadcasting from Earth like two years ago, right?  The whole Long Lost Love thing feels like it should have taken place like decades ago at least.

As I understand it, Admiral Tal's message was broadcast 12 years ago. Then he left Earth two years ago on a generational ship - possibly he knew he was nearing the end of his life and hoped to get his symbiote back to Trill? But there was another Trill onboard, Gray, and when the Admiral passed, the symbiote was transferred to Gray. Then the ship was hit by something (an asteroid? Shouldn't they have sensors to detect stuff like that before they crash?) and Gray was severely wounded to the point where the med-droid focused on saving the life of the symbiote over the host - possibly because trying to save Gray would have involved intervention on a scale that was not possible given the damage to the ship. Adira told us in her intro ep that she'd been found in an escape pod, so it seems the crew abandoned ship, meaning the damage was irreparable. I would imagine that some other vessel heard a distress call, picked up the survivors, and returned them to Earth, presumably moving a fair bit faster than the generational ship did, for the timeline to work - it is possible that they were still close enough for a rescue mission to have been sent from Earth, using valuable dilithium supplies. How Adira then ended up working as an inspector, sans memory, and why she wasn't able to find out anything about herself from, you know, official records, is an open question!

Edited by Llywela
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4