Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Hats Off... Shades On

• Start Topic

I like Robin's hats too.  My husband and I own a little convertible that we love to take out on nice days, and I need hats to keep my hair in place.  If I can find a comfortable well fitted one, I buy it.  I like the patterns on her hats too.  I tend to wear monochromatic outfits, so a splash of fun on my head would be great.   I'll order one and let you all know.

Damn it Monique.  I wanted to like her so much.  She is SO beautiful!  I love looking at her face.   I bet she's a goner. I know Porsha got to stay after dragging Kenya, but  Porsha is likeable.  The biggest problem I had with that beat down was that I felt Porsha should have went after Andy for allowing Kenya to scream in Porsha's face with that megaphone.  He incited that mess big time, but let the ladies take all of the blame.  He's a little rat faced bastard.

Karen is great for the show.  Look at all of the opinions about her on this forum.  It isn't all hate and it isn't all love.  She may be one of the few housewives that claim that distinction. With or without a story line she gets attention, and she does it without being a Rinna or Tamra. 

Ashley's husband reminds me a bit too much of a Scott Peterson or Chris Watts. They didn't like their kids messing up their fun times either.  I know that's a dark awful thing to say, but Michael has said a few times that he's bothered by the baby being first in Ashley's life.  Poor Dean, has to grow up with that resentment.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Monique is the perpetrator, not the victim. The end. I honestly can't believe we're still doing this false equivalency thing.

On another note, I actually do like Karen for the most part, but the idea that Monique's "blacking out" is a "medical" issue is bogus. I get that Karen doesn't want to gang up on Monique and I even admire that but she's really grasping at straws because she doesn't want to acknowledge that Monique's behavior went beyond the pale to criminal action. 

I never said Monique was the victim - nor did I suggest an equivalency. 

• Love 2

Re: college pursuits -

I thought Karen went to college? She dropped out to marry Ray?

Robyn probably only went to chase after (or keep an eye on) Juan.

Candy & Ashley probably went to get away from momma. College is a peaceful 4 yr freedom.

Giselle probably went partially to fulfill family expectations. I think she did work a hot minute in her profession.

Monique was too busy trying to get a record deal. I wonder how her former group mates are doing. 

At least we can say Wendy is using her education professionally.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, nexxie said:

idk - taunting someone to drag you while screeching in their face is not normal behavior. Wonder what her explanation for that could be - more than once Candiace urged, encouraged - incited - Monique to drag her. Perhaps she wanted a lawsuit - who knows.

When it was mentioned last year, I believe it was Monique who said that she would drag Candace "pregnant and all" and that was why candace said that she should "drag her".  If true, Monique brought it up without being goaded into it.  

Taunting someone to do something isn't abnormal and Robyn did it right to Monique's face.  

LOL, if Candace wanted a lawsuit she could have chosen any of the other times that Monique has tried to engage her.  Instead she either apologized or walked away.  She went out of her way to cancel her appearance on Monique's podcast.  She did everything in her power not to engage Monique, but this one time she decided that she was going to stand up for herself.  And frankly, she didn't say anything that warranted Monique getting bent out of shape.  

All she said, snarkily, was that she still loved Monique even though she pretended to be asleep when Candace was leaving.  

And if Monique is this sensitive and becomes violent over what Candace said, she had better just stay at home, because there are a world full of people out there who will say way, way, way worse to get a settlement check.  And now they know that Monique is mentally weak and cannot handle the slightest annoyance.  

• Love 7
3 hours ago, watcherwoman said:

I like Robin's hats too.  My husband and I own a little convertible that we love to take out on nice days, and I need hats to keep my hair in place.  If I can find a comfortable well fitted one, I buy it.  I like the patterns on her hats too.  I tend to wear monochromatic outfits, so a splash of fun on my head would be great.   I'll order one and let you all know.

Damn it Monique.  I wanted to like her so much.  She is SO beautiful!  I love looking at her face.   I bet she's a goner. I know Porsha got to stay after dragging Kenya, but  Porsha is likeable.  The biggest problem I had with that beat down was that I felt Porsha should have went after Andy for allowing Kenya to scream in Porsha's face with that megaphone.  He incited that mess big time, but let the ladies take all of the blame.  He's a little rat faced bastard.

I always think that Porsha would have gotten exactly what she wanted if she had just left.  Andy would have made Kenya put the bullhorn down if Porsha had refused to come back out.  Porsha's mistake wasn't in getting upset by the bullhorn, but by continuing to engage.  Its hard, because walking away in that situation feels like an L, but getting physical and losing your cool is an even bigger L.  

I hope Monique is gone for season 6.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, bosawks said:

WTF was up with Candy’s fish roe headband?

LOL, Candace is young and beautiful.  She can get away with these fashion choices for like another two to three years.  

I think one of the things I appreciate about this show is that every woman has their own unique fashion sense and look.  If you showed me an outfit, I could probably tell you which one of them is wearing it.  Its kinda cool.  

@amaranta - thank you for sharing your thoughts.  I didn't want to respond to every post, but I enjoyed reading what you had to write.  I like Dr. Wendy too, and I really liked that she was able to laugh at a joke made at her expense.  It makes me think that she isn't nearly the asshole she is painted out to be.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, LaurelleJ said:

One of my favorite lines is "Having a PhD is like wearing a pair of silk panties. No one knows you have it, but damn it feels good". I don't lead my introductions with my name is Laurelle and I have a PhD. It comes up when people ask me what I do, and that's that. IMO Wendy definitely defines herself by her education, but what's more, her storyline producer told her to really lean on the education angle knowing that it could be a potential point of contention between some of the ladies. Mission accomplished. 

The. slithering conga line is the highlight of the season for me. I love Karen. 

There is nothing wrong with being educated and being proud of your accomplishments. However, your education should not be used to bludgeon other people to prove your superiority. I think Wendy has a complex because we all know mama is way more proud of the surgeon sister(mama Wendy just seems petty like that).

I know plenty of people with only one degree who probably make a lot more money than Wendy and who do not have to resort to showing their ass on reality tv.

Edited by qtpye
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

idk - taunting someone to drag you while screeching in their face is not normal behavior. Wonder what her explanation for that could be - more than once Candiace urged, encouraged - incited - Monique to drag her. Perhaps she wanted a lawsuit - who knows.

2 hours ago, RealReality said:

When it was mentioned last year, I believe it was Monique who said that she would drag Candace "pregnant and all" and that was why candace said that she should "drag her".  If true, Monique brought it up without being goaded into it.  

There's a narrative that has been formed that Candiace has been aggressive towards Monique and Monique finally had to respond.  That's actually not the case.  MONIQUE has always been the aggressor, Monique finally got a chance to beat Candiace's ass and it has nothing to do with plots, rumors, phone numbers, Gigi or asking to get dragged.

Go back and rewatch the Hoedown episode from last season:

When Ashley & Monique go shopping for baby clothes, Monique tells Ashley she didn't appreciate how Candiace acted at the dinner waving knives at people and she felt very uncomfortable in Candiace's house. (But she or her fans can't understand why the cast doesn't feel comfortable being around her? In Monique's defense, she's probably wondering why they feel so uncomfortable around her but not around Candiace). 

When Candiace visits Monique, Monique brings up the incident with Ashley and Candiace says she's calmed down & was upset Ashley brought up Candiace's mother. Monique then tells Candiace she was wrong for letting Ashley get under her skin and it doesn't matter how the other person was acting, YOU shouldn't act like that because you'll get bad karma.  Candiace tells Monique that Ashley is getting her bad karma and Monique says she doesn't want to talk about Ashley and Candiace gives off little girl energy and nobody respects her. Candiace is calm but says if the group knows Candiace's mother is a sore point, then don't bring up Candiace's mother.  Monique says well YOU bring her up so we're going to talk about it and Candiace says well then she's not going to bring up her mother anymore.  In Candiace's TH, she says she doesn't appreciate being judged by somebody who's exhibited "hood" behavior.

At Katie's farm, Candiace apologizes to the table for her outburst.  She says she would like to talk to Ashley in the future but Gizelle told her Ashley didn't want to talk to her.  Nevertheless, if Ashley is open to having a private conversation she would like to do so. Ashley tells the table she can't discuss Michael and Karen gives her support.  Gizelle brings up the fact Karen was high fiving Robyn for bringing up Michael's desires at Candiace's house, then Karen & Ashley start going back and forth.  Candiace says she is only doing/saying what everyone else at the table has been doing/saying and doesn't appreciate being singled out.

Monique then goes after Candiace for sticking her nose in Ashley's business and Candiace says she's done with the conversation and Monique doesn't even like Ashley anyway. They go tit for tat, Karen and Ashley go tit for tat again and Candiace takes Karen away from Ashley and they go have a conversation by themselves at the fence.

Candiace tells Karen she feels like people who are supposed to be her friend are finding ways to support other people. Karen tells Candiace everyone in the group has strong opinions.  That's when Monique jumps in Karen & Candiace's conversation to say Candiace refuses to listen to what everyone is trying to tell her about herself and doesn't appreciate Candiace calling her a hypocrite. Monique tells Candiace she just doesn't like it when Monique is trying to keep it real with her and Candiace tells Monique she doesn't like the fact Monique is sticking up for Ashley when Ashley said negative things about Monique. Monique tells Candiace she's starting a war over things that have nothing to do with her (Ashley trying to get pregnant) and Candiace says she doesn't appreciate being chastised by someone who is doing the same things she is doing.

Karen remarks how sad it is to be in the middle of Candiace & Monique & Candiace tells Monique to go "over there" (near Ashley) since they are such good friends now.  Monique tells Candiace she doesn't have to go anywhere, little girl.  Candiace asks who she's calling a little girl, they go tit for tat and Karen takes Monique away while Candiace says "yeah, walk away." This is when Monique threatens to drag Candiace pregnant and all, tells Karen she's going to throw a bottle at Candiace's head since she likes waving knives at people and has to be held back by Karen as Candiace stands by the fence asking if Monique was going to drag her.

Why is Monique's immediate go-to when Candiace tells her to go over with Ashley ...is to threaten to beat Candiace's ass?

I think the Katie/Amistad episode is the exact moment where the Candiace/Monique friendship ended; it's clear by the Hoedown episode they don't like each other as people.  Candiace thinks Monique is a hoodrat and Monique thinks Candiace is a silly little girl. But the aggressor between these two has always been Monique.  When Monique is coming at Candiace telling her Candiace has little girl energy and nobody respects her, Candiace didn't cry, she didn't yell, she didn't threaten, she didn't get worked up. Candiace was calm & said "I disagree."

At Katie's farm, Candiace was having a conversation with Karen off to themselves by the fence when Monique (who was lurking) jumped in their conversation to come for Candiace and call her a little girl. Monique then threatened to "drag" Candiace, throw a bottle at Candiace and had to be held back by Karen ... because Candiace told her to "go over there?"  But Candiace has been asking for it, she's the aggressor? Really?

Monique has been wanting to beat Candiace's ass since the butter knife incident.  It had nothing to do with anything Candiace said or did.  No plots, no rumors, no "you gone drag me?", no "GOOD NIIIIGHT," none of that.  .  Something deep, dark and dangerous got triggered within Monique towards Candiace, the entire cast saw it that night and that's why most of them don't want to film with her and why Karen was saying there was something medically wrong with Monique.

Candiace was not the aggressor towards Monique but Candiace being aggressive towards Ashley triggered  Monique.  Monique was not triggered by the other cast mates like that which is why she was able to control herself and not fight them.  If BRAVO is smart, one or both of them CAN NOT come back next season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I also think that Wendy’s mom is happier with the big sister. This is most likely why Wendy is constantly bragging about her degrees and professorship that she’s probably quitting.  Going in on Karen for not having a degree was absolutely classless. Why would anyone want a person like this to lecture them politically?  
You can tell when she films with her kids that they prefer being with their dad.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

There is nothing wrong with being educated and being proud of your accomplishments. However, your education should not be used to bludgeon other people to prove your superiority. I think Wendy has a complex because we all know mama is way more proud of the surgeon sister(mama Wendy just seems petty like that).

I know plenty of people with only one degree who probably make a lot more money than Wendy and who do not have to resort to showing their ass on reality tv.

I'm pretty sure Bill Gates is a college dropout and Mark Zuckerberg may be one too.  So...yeah, a degree doesn't necessarily translate to success and lack of a degree doesn't make someone a loser.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

wondering how does momma feel about the son who is a policeman.

Did she also encourage and support him to continue with his education? How does her son's educational and professional pursuits help her with her chief status? hmmm

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, RealReality said:

I always think that Porsha would have gotten exactly what she wanted if she had just left.  Andy would have made Kenya put the bullhorn down if Porsha had refused to come back out.  Porsha's mistake wasn't in getting upset by the bullhorn, but by continuing to engage.  Its hard, because walking away in that situation feels like an L, but getting physical and losing your cool is an even bigger L.  

I hope Monique is gone for season 6.  

That bullhorn! Yep - that was not okay. Problem is, the goal of Andy and the powers-that-be on these shows is to incite all kinds of fighting and chaos - so they’re good with bullhorns and screeching and hands in faces, even with table flipping and glass throwing. But none of this is the kind of behavior anyone should subject themselves to. Rinna could have sent glass into someone’s eye with that stunt. I know they think the viewers tune in for this crap, but some of these women should be fired on the spot. Can’t believe how long it took them to get rid of LeeAnne! As I’ve said before, Monique and Rinna should be fired too.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, nexxie said:

That bullhorn! Yep - that was not okay. Problem is, the goal of Andy and the powers-that-be on these shows is to incite all kinds of fighting and chaos - so they’re good with bullhorns and screeching and hands in faces, even with table flipping and glass throwing. But none of this is the kind of behavior anyone should subject themselves to. Rinna could have sent glass into someone’s eye with that stunt. I know they think the viewers tune in for this crap, but some of these women should be fired on the spot. Can’t believe how long it took them to get rid of LeeAnne! As I’ve said before, Monique and Rinna should be fired too.

Nothing Andy Cohen does or doesn't do "incites" violence, Kenya's use of a bullhorn did not "incite" violence and Candace taunting Monique is not an incitement of violence.  I think there may be a misunderstanding as to the term means and I've linked an article below that may help to clear up the confusion, particularly from a legal perspective. 

https://www.talksonlaw.com/briefs/freedom-of-speech-what-constitutes-incitement

1 hour ago, RealReality said:

Nothing Andy Cohen does or doesn't do "incites" violence, Kenya's use of a bullhorn did not "incite" violence and Candace taunting Monique is not an incitement of violence.  I think there may be a misunderstanding as to the term means and I've linked an article below that may help to clear up the confusion, particularly from a legal perspective. 

https://www.talksonlaw.com/briefs/freedom-of-speech-what-constitutes-incitement

What I actually said: “Problem is, the goal of Andy and the powers-that-be on these shows is to incite all kinds of fighting and chaos”

• Love 3
1 minute ago, nexxie said:

What I actually said: “Problem is, the goal of Andy and the powers-that-be on these shows is to incite all kinds of fighting and chaos”

I believe that fighting and chaos are both violent, particularly when they devolve to table flipping and glass throwing. But, mileage may vary.   

• Love 1

Wendy bragging about her degrees shouldn't bother anyone because it doesn't have anything to do with anyone. 

I don't think it bothers anyone, but it is annoying. Even Gizelle told her "I don't need your resume" back when they were at Monique's lake house. I'm all about being proud of your achievements, but give it a rest. She only trots that out to feel superior to the other women; which is laughable because she's on the same show they're on. She must've thought that she would class up the show. No such thing.

I didn't think that Karen slammed Wendy's degrees last week, either. How I interpreted it was Karen telling Wendy that although she's smart ("with all those degrees) she sounded silly. Although Karen should've been the last person calling out ignorance when she's out here believing Monique's "black out" defense.

I go back and forth with Karen. She kinda reminds of Luann from RHONY. Both come from humble beginnings, they married well, and now they act like they're to the manor born. But unlike Luann, I do think that Karen is in on the joke and that's why I can't quit her entirely. I died at "you slithered in."

I don't have an issue with anyone marrying well, especially Black women. In other races and cultures, it's an expectation to marry well, but with us, we get static because "that's not your money, house, etc, that's your huzzzbin." Eh, depends on how you define marriage. It's either "ours" or it isn't.

Monique mentioning getting arrested in front of her kids and being taken away from her family reminded me of Remy Ma shooting her friend in the stomach over $500 and then crying about her son once she was arrested. Sis, you should've thought about your son BEFORE shooting your friend in the stomach over $500.

As much as I liked Mo, I wouldn't be mad if she doesn't return next season. Anything to avoid hearing about this goddamn fight again.

• Love 11
22 hours ago, Momager said:

One might argue that being married to Chris is work. She may not have paid for them, but she’s earned them.

I would argue that being married to Monique is harder, and Chris is doing the most work.  He looks so depressed and annoyed whenever he is with Monique, I think he is re-thinking this marriage.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Sheenieb said:

She only trots that out to feel superior to the other women; which is laughable because she's on the same show they're on.

All of the women use something about themselves to weaponize against the other women.  Wendy uses her degrees.  Ashley and Monique use their husbands' money.  Monique uses her status as a mother.  All of them do this so Wendy doing it too isn't a bother IMO.

1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

I would argue that being married to Monique is harder, and Chris is doing the most work.  He looks so depressed and annoyed whenever he is with Monique, I think he is re-thinking this marriage.

As long as the children are minors, Chris isn't going anywhere.  If they part ways it will be because Monique wanted to leave.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, drivethroo said:

As long as the children are minors, Chris isn't going anywhere.  If they part ways it will be because Monique wanted to leave.

I think you are right.  I can see it on his face, he looks like he wants to tell her bye-bye, but then he looks at his little kids and figures he doesn't want to do that to them.  

• Love 4
23 hours ago, amarante said:

Monique not going on the upcoming trip was due to producers and not based on a decision by Ashley to disinvite Monique. None of these trips are actually planned by the housewives. I would imagine the women told the producers that they would not go on a trip with Monique and the producers decided they would go with the majority decision.

Yep. It's a little weird having Monique in her own scenes away from the other women. I don't know how she can come back next season if no one will film with her. 

I wonder what Wendy thought when she saw the clips of herself bragging about her degrees right after she said she wasn't "one to brag." 

I wasn't surprised Karen lied about what she said about Ray. Based on what I've seen from Karen since S1, she isn't the most forthright person. She seems very concerned about her image to me. They all are, but Karen especially so. I still don't believe she was completely in the dark about Ray's tax issues. 

Ashley does seem depressed and much different since she had the baby. I hope she's better now. My daughter-in-law got stir crazy when her baby was small and she was breast-feeding. She didn't leave the house for weeks and was wearing soiled clothes and looking exhausted when we visited. She said she felt like a milk-machine.

One thing I really like about this HW show is the women can laugh at themselves (slinking scene). 

I didn't want to hear Candiace (or anyone) do scales but thought she sounded really good in the recording. 

ITA. I remember Theresa Guidice's infamous table flip S1. No consequences! She wasn't fired or even really criticized. She was actually praised by some. Imagine being at a restaurant at a table with people, food and drinks and someone turns it on end? Someone easily could have been hurt not to mention the uproar, damage, food and drinks everywhere, etc. And then she actually pushed Andy during one of the reunions. Still nothing happened to her. She was back next season. 

Not a whole lot for Porsha from ATL either. They took her out of the opening credits, but she was in nearly every episode the next season like a regular cast member not friend of. Rinna also was unscathed. 

Andy and the Bravo producers love drama. That's why alcohol is readily available. Let the women get liquored up so they can cut loose. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

As much as I liked Mo, I wouldn't be mad if she doesn't return next season. Anything to avoid hearing about this goddamn fight again.

I would say, let Candiace not come back. She’s boring and all she has going is this fight. Monique will keep going.

I read a post in another thread that Candiaces mom should have been cast as a real housewife instead of Candiace. I have to say, I agree. 

• Love 2
On 11/1/2020 at 11:07 PM, GussieK said:

What is with Robyn’s hat business?  Surely that isn’t a big money maker. The world is clamoring for printed baseball caps. Not. 

She has a new business every season. What happened to her PR job? The house flipping? Her lip gloss line? Reminds me of Cynthia choosing random ventures that you never hear about after the season is over.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, trimthatfat said:

She has a new business every season. What happened to her PR job? The house flipping? Her lip gloss line? Reminds me of Cynthia choosing random ventures that you never hear about after the season is over.

I forgot about the flipping. I think it gets expensive unless you are the one doing the remodel. 
I do like her hats, it helps that they look good on her.

i don’t know how many of these secondary gigs are that lucrative other than Bethennys Skinny Girl. How many wines, books, lashes, hair extensions, makeup, jewelry....etc really take? Wouldn’t it be wiser to just invest the Real Housewives paychecks?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

I forgot about the flipping. I think it gets expensive unless you are the one doing the remodel. 

i don’t know how many of these secondary gigs are that lucrative other than Bethennys Skinny Girl. How many wines, books, lashes, hair extensions, makeup, jewelry....etc really take? Wouldn’t it be wiser to just invest the Real Housewives paychecks?

I imagine that they also serve a purpose as a story line for howives that have nothing else going on. If the business is not too expensive then it can be written off against the show’s pretty generous salary.

I like Robyn but nobody is interested in whether or not her parents approve of Juan remarrying their 40 year old daughter, particularly since she never stopped living with him, even after the divorce.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I imagine that they also serve a purpose as a story line for howives that have nothing else going on. If the business is not too expensive than it can be written off against the show’s pretty generous salary.

I like Robyn but nobody is interested in whether or not her parents approve of Juan remarrying their 40 year old daughter, particularly since she never stopped living with him, even after the divorce.

That makes sense since there are so many one season businesses as well as one hit auto tuned wonders. 
I like Robyn too. Her parents didn’t muster any on camera enthusiasm and I don’t blame them,  Gizelles dad did not hide his feelings (behind the scenes but still mic’ed) As a parent could you be in their corner? Juan maybe but Jamal?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Chatty Cake said:

That makes sense since there are so many one season businesses as well as one hit auto tuned wonders. 
I like Robyn too. Her parents didn’t muster any on camera enthusiasm and I don’t blame them,  Gizelles dad did not hide his feelings (behind the scenes but still mic’ed) As a parent could you be in their corner? Juan maybe but Jamal?

It almost grinds my gears that a woman who is as beautiful as Gizelle and lucky enough to be born into some privilege, wasted her time with this lowlife and is thinking (at least for show purposes) of getting back together with him.

From what I understand, he started cheating on her when they were engaged and it never stopped. She would be heart broken if any of her girls brought home a man like that.

I know what I am going to say now is kind of horrible.

Monique might be invested in showing what a hard working mom she is but I do not need to see her running around in the morning taking care of little kids...that's my life before I go to work.

I expect a little bit of shallow fabulousness in my howives show and Monique is the only one wealthy enough to really bring it. Robyn and Gizelle do not have enough money, Karen (even though I love her) lead a nice upper class life but nothing particularly special (even her old house was pretty dated), and Ashley married money but there is nothing about her lifestyle that I want (I actually feel a little sorry for her).

Monique lives in an amazing mansion that is like a custom designed mini-resort. If she is fired, than I hope they replace her with someone who is as equally wealthy...otherwise this show is not going have much in the way of amazing house visuals.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, qtpye said:

It almost grinds my gears that a woman who is as beautiful as Gizelle and lucky enough to be born into some privilege, wasted her time with this lowlife and is thinking (at least for show purposes) of getting back together with him.

From what I understand, he started cheating on her when they were engaged and it never stopped. She would be heart broken if any of her girls brought home a man like that.

Monique might be invested in showing what a hard working mom she is but I do not need to see her running around in the morning taking care of little kids...that's my life before I go to work.

I expect a little bit of shallow fabulousness in my howives show and Monique is the only one wealthy enough to really bring it. Robyn and Gizelle do not have enough money, Karen (even though I love her) lead a nice upper class life but nothing particularly special (even her old house was pretty dated), and Ashley married money but there is nothing about her lifestyle that I want (I actually feel a little sorry for her).

Monique lives in an amazing mansion that is like a custom designed mini-resort. If she is fired, than I hope they replace her with someone who is as equally wealthy...otherwise this show is not going have much in the way of amazing house visuals.

Monique lives in a beautiful home, but I need to nit pick on that dishwasher that was camouflaged as a wooden cabinet.  It looked tacky, tacky, tacky.  Otherwise, the house is very nice, but I had kinda expected someone with an updated personal style to have updated that kitchen.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

I think if you're smart these little businesses can bring in a little extra cash.  

I think the way Robyn is doing it is smart.  She used her platform, found a product that would be easy to sell (if she would ever talk about the satin lining) and she found something that she could buy cheap and sell at a profit.  Her price point is expensive, but reasonable.  She has kept costs low at every turn, using a lightring and an iPhone to film promotional videos and pictures for her website, the website is well done, but not over the top expensive.  She has managed to get a ton of free publicity from the show.  She clearly did not overbuy supply because she is "sold out" of everything, so she keeps her supply lean.

Robyn isn't going to retire on Embellish caps, but maybe she adds a little money to her empire AND she can write off business expenses, including a portion of her mortgage, since she has demonstrated on the show that she actively uses her house to run her business.  

She needs a good accountant, but I think Robyn has been pretty smart about this.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, RealReality said:

I think if you're smart these little businesses can bring in a little extra cash.  

I think the way Robyn is doing it is smart.  She used her platform, found a product that would be easy to sell (if she would ever talk about the satin lining) and she found something that she could buy cheap and sell at a profit.  Her price point is expensive, but reasonable.  She has kept costs low at every turn, using a lightring and an iPhone to film promotional videos and pictures for her website, the website is well done, but not over the top expensive.  She has managed to get a ton of free publicity from the show.  She clearly did not overbuy supply because she is "sold out" of everything, so she keeps her supply lean.

Robyn isn't going to retire on Embellish caps, but maybe she adds a little money to her empire AND she can write off business expenses, including a portion of her mortgage, since she has demonstrated on the show that she actively uses her house to run her business.  

She needs a good accountant, but I think Robyn has been pretty smart about this.  

or that is another marketing ploy. Another show had the same on  a few products they were peddling.

kinda like the Black Friday sales where there is (was) extreme limited quantity. People can't get product A, so they will buy Product B. For all we know B could have a higher profit margin.

And the "sell out" gives the appearance that high volume business is being done. Do we really know how many, or "if" she had the item ?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, qtpye said:

Agree about Gizelle. It’s painful to watch her Jamal scenes.

I also think Monique is the most fabulous of the group. I watched her instagram video with Chris a few months ago and they were so cute together. I would like to see more of that.  The others don’t have as good relationships. I do think Karen and Ray are better than they portray but the others aren’t so good. Juan seems reluctant even after all this time. Candiaces Chris, does not seem into her. Michael wants to party and has little interest in babies, Wendy’s husband seems okay but I’m sure he will resent her dividing his family from him at some point. He also looked annoyed by her overbearing Mama.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, RealReality said:

Monique lives in a beautiful home, but I need to nit pick on that dishwasher that was camouflaged as a wooden cabinet.  It looked tacky, tacky, tacky.  Otherwise, the house is very nice, but I had kinda expected someone with an updated personal style to have updated that kitchen.  

I've seen this trend in so many homes/apartments, especially "luxury" apartments in New York. I don't like it. I've seen some go as far as the refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher, and microwave are all hidden behind some kind of cabinet. I guess that's the new style? 

Otherwise yes, the house is beautiful like a mini resort. One could quarantine there just fine. I'm sure the Potomac residents quarantined quiet nicely. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, qtpye said:

But that's part of Monique's brand.  She wants to show you that she's just like every other mom out here.  

• Love 2
On 11/1/2020 at 10:46 PM, Axie said:

I haven’t seen any evidence of it in the DMV, so nobody freak out, but, there have been rumors that people may start hoarding again, so, Candyass, if you could stop using so many napkin corners to wipe your eyes, that would be great.

Gotta love Ol' Dabber!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, gwen747 said:

Wendy saying "I have four degrees" is the new Monique's mantra of "I own four homes".  

I wonder was she up all night trying commentating on the election...

16 hours ago, sATL said:

Does anyone know if she is still a commentator on any of the news networks? I tried searching but couldn’t find anything recent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I will give Wendy credit for having a good attitude about the women imitating her. However, it has made me realize that Wendy has a very weird walk. Her shoulders and her head kind of slouch.

My guess is that Wendy is a tall woman (unlike my short ass) who really does not need to wear heels. Also, some taller women purposely slouch a little. I remember Nicole Kidman talking about the way she would stand so Tom Cruise would not look so tiny in comparison.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/2/2020 at 11:42 PM, sATL said:

Re: college pursuits -

I thought Karen went to college? She dropped out to marry Ray?

Robyn probably only went to chase after (or keep an eye on) Juan.

Candy & Ashley probably went to get away from momma. College is a peaceful 4 yr freedom.

Giselle probably went partially to fulfill family expectations. I think she did work a hot minute in her profession.

Monique was too busy trying to get a record deal. I wonder how her former group mates are doing. 

At least we can say Wendy is using her education professionally.

Karen dropped out of college after being sexually assaulted. She just wasn't able to finish. She mentioned this on the show but I can't remember which season.

On 11/4/2020 at 3:45 PM, gwen747 said:

Wendy saying "I have four degrees" is the new Monique's mantra of "I own four homes".  

But Monique only said it once and it was only after Gizelle asked if she was homeless LOL. 

Edited by ridethemaverick
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, ridethemaverick said:

Karen dropped out of college after being sexually assaulted. She just wasn't able to finish. She mentioned this on the show but I can't remember which season.

ok. Understandable. I guess changing to another university wasn't an option.

I'm starting to get (but not completely like) Dr. Wendy; as someone said upthread, you kinda have to like someone who can laugh at herself. I also think she looks so much prettier on the show than she does in her talking heads. I foresee the usual Second Season makeover if she comes back (remember Gizelle's first season wig?), but I hope she doesn't go overboard. I, too, have immigrant parents who prize education. In their home country, earning academic scholarships transformed their and their entire generation's lives once those scholarships became available to them and others who were outside of the elite classes. 

I also agree that having a Ph.D. as a Black woman can open doors and help to shut down the false assumption that you're not qualified to work in predominantly White spaces. However, the way Wendy goes about "making education a priority" is counterproductive. Every time she talks about it on the show, it's part of a taunt and " . . . and you don't" is often implied when she mentions her education.  I heard the flag conversation different from some of you. I saw Wendy guess Portugal, then Ashley didn't respond, so Candiace said "Nigeria?!" Then Ashley says it's Portugal and asks Wendy how she knew, and Wendy blamed it on all the soccer she watches. I could be wrong, though. I was looking more at the flag. 

Karen is such a liar, but at least she only really lies about herself. Gizelle often tells the truth about others but frames it in a negative/shady way. Both are tv gold, though, and I would hate to see RHOP without them both. Of the two, I'd rather have Karen as a friend even though I couldn't trust her facade, but I'd rather sit next to Gizelle at a party. Gizelle can't have it both ways, though; why should Karen confide in you when you've already and repeatedly demonstrated you care more about teasing or embarrassing Karen than you do about Karen herself?

One More Thing: Candiace's voice isn't terribly bad. Once she got past the vocal exercises, I heard a little 90s New Jack Swing thing going on in her voice. Her voice reminded me a little of Adina Howard's. Compared to RHOA Kim ("There's a Tightruuuuuuup, between me and you"), RHONY Luann, and RHONJ Melissa, Candiace's voice is better by far

Edited by Vanderboom
didn't want to give the impression that my parents were elites
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

However, the way Wendy goes about "making education a priority" is counterproductive. Every time she talks about it on the show, it's part of a taunt and " . . . and you don't" is often implied when she mentions her education.  I heard the flag conversation different from some of you. I saw Wendy guess Portugal, then Ashley didn't respond, so Candiace said "Nigeria?!" Then Ashley says it's Portugal and asks Wendy how she knew, and Wendy blamed it on all the soccer she watches. I could be wrong, though. I was looking more at the flag. 

I don't really see it as a taunt.  Sometimes I think that in the US, we think of smart people as being "smug."  A child raises their hand in class and the other kids give them death looks; like "how DARE YOU know the answer."  Well maybe the rest of you would know the answer if you studied.  Wendy was the only one who knew that flag; the others looked blankly at it (so did I).  Good on Wendy for knowing the answer.

• Love 4

Karen was very drunk when she made the comment about bailing out her husband, so she may not remember and is denying it because even if it is true, that's not something she would want to get or something she'd say if she'd been sober.

Still don't like Wendy and am so not interested in hearing Candace sing. Her voice isn't bad, but no, no ma'am.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, politichick said:

Karen was very drunk when she made the comment about bailing out her husband, so she may not remember and is denying it because even if it is true, that's not something she would want to get or something she'd say if she'd been sober.

If Karen drinks so much that she can't remember what she says while a camera is rolling, maybe she needs to watch her drinking.

• Love 3
On 11/4/2020 at 4:04 PM, sATL said:

Not on MSNBC. I’ve been watching practically 24/7 for a week and nary a Dr. Wendy sighting.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1