Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E05: John Mulaney / The Strokes

• Start Topic

I love him. But I think him hosting on leap year jinxed us for the rest of 2020, so let’s double down on the scariest night of the year a few hours before the clocks go back AND with a blue moon! 😜

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

John's monologue hit home - we're in a kind of heated moment with family as one of my siblings and her spouse have chosen to disregard the fact that cases are out of control here right now, and they took a trip this weekend, after my mother advised them not to - so his bit about other family trying to visit mom or grandma was very familiar.

• Love 13

The Birds sketch was delightfully silly.

And I enjoyed the 70s feel of Strollin' while  the commentary was very current.

I figured Dave Chappelle would be back for another post Election Day commentary. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 10

I guess all the Biden sketches will end up in the Monday SNL election special.  I thought this one was less caricature, and more about the posture/mannerisms.  How many sketches/monologue tonight have been about voting? (Already voted here!)  

Focused on other news, and missed that Colin married Scarlett!  Congrats!  (This is like the several colleagues who have had babies while in Zoom world, and deciding to announce the good news much later.  How many more unknown babies and marriages are on the other side of the screen?  Happy for all of you, and enjoy the bubble time.)  

• Love 5

Scope and vodka.  

That made me laugh, and sorta gag at the same time.

Also - party line and Don Jr.  That definitely just made me laugh.  A lot. 

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Maya singing Follies is the best thing in the sketch so far...

Agreed, but I also thought Kate sold "Send in the Clowns".

I gasped a little at Diddler on the Roof! Oy.

• Love 8

Cold Open: Thank god, no more debates! Now a solo Jim Carrey sketch. Quoth The Clinton: "We've lost before!" Maybe we ARE haunted, America was built on a Native American burial ground. And I'll take any opportunity to rag on Mitch McConnell (his gross hands!) and Nate Silver (he was wrong and nobody trusts him anymore). Way better than the debate sketches. Shoehorning in Kamala Harris was actually natural.

Monologue: I am loving all the New York talk (since I am one). That whole Cuomo talk was something I had with my great aunt (yes, Italian). Yes, vote in the Elderly Man Contest on the Third (I voted for my Elderly Man last Saturday). Once again he killed it. I'm, uhh, not too enthusiastic that NOTHING will change if we get a new Elderly Man. Yes, the rich will still get richer, the rest of us are still screwed, but one Elderly Man was clearly better than the other one. (Ugh, this reminds me of when I saw Oh, Hello and he and Nick Kroll ended the show with a fundraiser meant to cater to all the rich people in the front)

The Birds: Seems like a sketch similar to Sound of Music, their take on a classic film. But this one had bloody, dead bird puppets. So of course this was fun. Loved when the turtles showed up. One was flying on its own!

Strollin': Yeah...DAMN, voter suppression sucks. Kudos for actually going where they did. Lost it at "JUST MICHELLE."

Sleepy Hollow: Mulaney teased Hamilton-style costumes tonight, and here's what they were for. It's all about Ichabod Crane wondering if the Headless Horseman goes down on himself. Genius. I wonder how true it was that Lorne wrote it? I thought Mulaney made for a good Ichabod Crane.

New York Strong: "Kate does something weird" continues to be a winner. Makes me happy to be a New Yorker. We're our own special brand of weird.

Of course The Strokes were great.

WU: An audience open to booing the president! Update was going for blood tonight, and the audience was all for it. Jared Kushner ALWAYS looks like a child dressed as a funeral. And that's Kyle as Baby Yoda, right? I couldn't take my eyes off him, didn't really pay much attention to what he was saying. 

Times Square Gift Shop: Looks like we're in for a musical sketch with creepy Times Square mascots. Kenan was the best choice to play the Minion. We got Guys & Dolls, A Chorus Line, and "Send in The Clowns" for the Bubba Gump Shrimp. I appreciate any excuse for Maya to sing. This is somehow more New York than the NY Strong sketch earlier or the LaGuardia sketch from the last Mulaney show. Well I loved it. But sorry, there's no beating David Byrne, and Jake Gylenhaal flying on strings.

The Strokes were once again awesome.

Uncle Meme: Oh man, bringing back Tyler and the memes! And here I thought Uncle Ron was married.

Well...the February show had a really high bar. And Holy crap, they got Dave Chappelle as the post-election show again. I honestly hope this time goes better.

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, freddi said:

Did all stations cut off the end credits?  "This is the greatest gig in the w...." -- <click>

I saw everything here in Canada, on Global.  

I smiled through some things, but I fast forwarded others.  I'm actually on a big Hitchcock kick right now so I'd like to see The Birds before I see that sketch.  That Sleepy Hollow sketch is sooooooo not my type of thing.

The gift store musical was good.  It was clear they had never rehearsed the Uncle Ron memes, everything was way off.

It wasn't as good as the Adele episode, but better than Issa Rae's obviously, and that's as far back as my memory is going.  This show felt...... light.  Light on content.

Looking forward to Chappelle. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, freddi said:

Did all stations cut off the end credits?  "This is the greatest gig in the w...." -- <click>

Everything ended normally here in DC.  

Well, as normally as things ever end here in DC...

Edited by ebk57
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4

This was a fairly typical John Mulaney episode, meaning it was pretty good and had some creative choices. Not sure it was my favorite Mulaney ep, but it was still fun. And next year, he'll be a 5 Timer! He's on a glide path for that faster than anyone in recent memory.

Roll your clocks back guys! 🙂

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, vb68 said:

This was a fairly typical John Mulaney episode, meaning it was pretty good and had some creative choices. Not sure it was my favorite Mulaney ep, but it was still fun. And next year, he'll be a 5 Timer! He's on a glide path for that faster than anyone in recent memory.

Roll your clocks back guys! 🙂

This.  Definitely not my fave Mulaney episode, but still lots of fun and better than most other episodes.  I'm already looking forward to the next one. 

Edited by ebk57
Another typo. I've already edited at least 3 posts tonight. Maybe I shouldn't drink so much before I post... nah...
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, freddi said:

I'm in the US and I saw everything he said and they didn't cut off until everyone was hugging/waving goodbye.  There were more face shields this week.

I liked (and hated) that cold open.  It was fun that it was not a debate sketch but instead focused on just one candidate (or elderly man). Hated it because it voiced fears I dare not say out loud.  I'm a sucker for silly rhymes. 

My favorite moment of the night was probably during Mulaney's monologue when he told the story of his grandmother going to get a new license and the clerk asking for an ID and she whips out her old license. 

The tourist shop musical wasn't as good as past musicals but it was still fun. 

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I liked (and hated) that cold open.  It was fun that it was not a debate sketch but instead focused on just one candidate (or elderly man). Hated it because it voiced fears I dare not say out loud.  I'm a sucker for silly rhymes. 

I'm too anxious to have found it very funny, but it was great to see Kate's Hillary one more time. Maybe this one worked better because Biden was (more or less) the straight guy to a bunch of other characters? I don't know. Just a thought.  But I'm all for keeping the very Jim Carreyish hijacks and mugging to a minimum. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 12

Is John Mulaney the second guest to host twice in a calendar year after Chris Hemsworth? That's company more exclusive than the Five-Timers Club. Now I'm wondering what John would play in a MCU movie. Spider-Ham was hilarious, but it doesn't count here.

If you think the Obligatory Mulaney Broadway Tribute Sketch wasn't as good . . . maybe because Kenan didn't get stuck in an elaborate animal costume? Totally wouldn't have blamed him if he asked for something simpler. And we got another inspirational message to go along with the monologue.

Once again, John brings his A-game. Sleepy Hollow, The Birds, and another Memeable Uncle sketch. Not quite as awesome as the original, but "When You In A Sex Cult And You Still A Virgin" was hilarious.

Anyone else think John was going to play Biden, like he did earlier this year? Jim Carrey going gothic on Election Day was a very nice idea, though.

As for Dave Chappelle next week? I'm going to say here what I posted on Facebook: "Lorne Michaels has straight-up keyed Fate’s car and banged its wife." Why tempt fate?!? It's not Dave's fault, and the odds that we get a result before next Saturday are slimmer than usual, but it still feels like poking a sleeping bear that has already killed.

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I'm too anxious to have found it very funny, but it was great to see Kate's Hillary one more time. 

ITA.  When I saw Kate, I thought of the 2016 Hillary openings that I never could watch again.  They were so funny at the time, and we were so hopeful, but I had to turn them off when they appeared in reruns.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 16
22 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

As for Dave Chappelle next week? I'm going to say here what I posted on Facebook: "Lorne Michaels has straight-up keyed Fate’s car and banged its wife." Why tempt fate?!? It's not Dave's fault, and the odds that we get a result before next Saturday are slimmer than usual, but it still feels like poking a sleeping bear that has already killed.

That's exactly what I felt about the double whammy of the cold open and then learning about who the next host would be. 

In the monologue, the plot about the sleepover -- what was that from?  I know it, just can't place it.  

Re-watching the West Coast re-airing at 11:35, and it is holding up well!  "If I wasn't your grandmother, I wouldn't know who you are, sorry!"  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, vb68 said:

I don't know if it's at all connected to the public criticism last week, but this crowd tonight really showed up.

I think This is because The Host is John Mulaney and they remember how Great the Last Time Was when He Hosted ! They Praised 2 Parts of the Audience So They Reacted to That ! They are Glad that They are in the Studio And They Love New York !

• Love 4

I was very disappointed by John's last episode, as it felt like he was just dropped in rather than being able to show his comic style. I was still looking forward to him hosting again because I figured he could be a bit of comfort in a difficult time, which people need (and also some reliable laughs). The show still wasn't quite what I expected (his first two episodes managed to use most of the cast and had a lot of different types of sketches which you rarely get with SNL now, like slice-of-life pieces or that hilarious Toilet Death Ejector ad), but I did enjoy the episode more than the last he hosted. It was probably the first episode this season which felt consistent throughout, even if the back half wasn't as good as the top. John and a number of people in the cast felt a bit sloppy (I guess down to the musical rehearsal and then for the cast, doing 5 straight episodes), but the goofiness sort of added to the charm. While I'd rather see more of the some of the lesser used cast members, like Alex or Andrew, it was also nice to see how clearly happy Pete was to have his good friend there hosting. 

Cold open: Still clunky overall, but I thought it was better than any in a while, and mercifully several minutes shorter. I'm kind of over Kate vamping so much in these pieces, but Hillary returning made sense for the theme. Mikey was also a lot of fun as Nate Silver. This was the best Jim Carrey has been as Biden - I think being able to just have one-liners and also a few screwups early on helped him get over some of the tension. 

Monologue: This was very controversial in some quarters (although, for someone who is known for an old-fashioned appeal, this is his third straight controversial monologue). I can't say I disagreed with him, but I'm not sure SNL is the best place for these discussions. Still, it was a very confident piece and felt more properly sewn together than his last few. 

Cinema Classics: Reese De'What is a national treasure - he always, always makes me laugh whenever he appears. Kate and John had a nice comic chemistry together when they had the Bogie/Bacall spoof a few years ago, and they still do - the material was thin, but seeing them try not to break was not a bad way to pass a few minutes. 

Strollin' - My favorite piece in the episode. A great song and a biting concept, put together just right. I'm glad we are moving away from generic Pete Davidson raps. Kenan, Ego and Chris all work well together and Punkie Johnson is a great addition. I liked how this switched up tones so effectively. John was also put to good use as the middling-yet-vaguely-nefarious election worker. 

Headless Horseman - A one-note sex joke, enlivened by the performances. On the one hand, I'd rather SNL try something silly and crude than do more pandering and checklist posturing, and this at least had some life to it, but...seeing sketches end in rape jokes feels like something from the SNL of 15-25 years ago, not 2020.

New York - As much as Kate's vamping can sometimes wear me out, I appreciated this as a love letter to New York and its vibrancy and resilience. 

Update - Michael Che was the driving force here, as he has been most of the season, from his jibes about rappers endorsing Trump to his quiet disdain at Colin using a clip of Obama as a tag to voting for Biden. Colin did have his moments, especially the serial killer portion. I am a fan of Kyle's, but I didn't really need to see Baby Yoda again. Still, he did alright, and it was nice he got an audience response (more than he did the last time with this, I think).

NYC Musical - I won't lie, I didn't really enjoy last season's musical, for whatever reason. I still think these reached their peak with Bodega Bathroom, but this one had a certain rickety charm to it, like Waiting For Guffman. They clearly had not had much rehearsal time for their dancing, Chris and Pete kept cracking up, it seemed like there were a few cues missed, but the sheer goofy/bad/earnest nature was enough for me. I also liked seeing Pete try not to break when he had that line about his "modest bulge." Chloe was great in the Super Spreader solo, but Maya (who continues to charm me everywhere but the cold opens, although the one this week was OK) had the showstopper doing Elaine Stritch in Follies. I wonder how long John had been waiting to get to write something like that for her. 

(poor Lauren Holt - it took me to about halfway through to remember she wasn't Aidy) 

Uncle Meme - Considering how into this one John seemed the last time, I wasn't too shocked to see it return. I don't think it warranted a return, but I appreciate them trying for a different tone and ending. It felt very rushed, due to time constraints. The best part was likely not intended - the failed high-five with Pete and Chris. 

So overall this wasn't as strong in places for me as a few but was overall better throughout. I'd rank:

1) Rae

2) Burr

3) Mulaney

4) Adele

5) Rock (only this one  [sorry Chris] veered toward actually being bad for me)

Cut sketch. I suppose I can see why this was cut, as such a nihilistic sketch on top of the monologue and cold open may have been seen as too much, but I liked it. It captured my mood, anyway. (also poor Andrew Dismukes' only appearance of the week - he should have been in a sketch with John)

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 6

I thought it was a great show. Not one real loser among the skits. I almost wish they had stopped with diner lobster because it almost feels like they are forced to do a musical sketch each time he hosts and it seems like they are reaching but they all still commit. I thought that the cold open was miles better than the debate ones. Biden works better as a straight man. My opinion is that this episode will look better in hindsight when we are all less stressed about the election.

• Love 6

The Strokes were pretty good, but as mentioned upthread they really didn't look like they wanted to be there.

And the mix was terrible again, you could barely hear the lead singer at times.

No musical guest for next week's show with Dave Chappelle ??

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Is Mulaney a conservative? I didn't assume so, but his comments about "when coronavirus is over" while states are setting records for cases, and the "elderly man contest" which will result in nothing changing, made me wonder. Also, enough with the NY stuff.

Cold open, meh. It was fine. Just nothing new or interesting,

The questions raised in "The Birds" were great. I always wondered the same kinds of things.

I enjoyed the tune, but didn't get "Strollin to the Vote." Was it a statement of some kind? It seems like you should be able to look up which polling stations are open, and then take a mask. I can't explain why some states have lines that take hours. My state allows mail in voting, I haven't stood in a line for 20 years. I have a cousin who had to wait in line for 3 hours in Indiana. Seems dumb.

Headless horseman .. loved the concept. Surprised they had no women.

Oh yay, more NY stuff. Glad you like it. Been there 4-5 times, for work, no interest in going back, especially during coronavirus.

Jared Kushner looks like the younger version of the tall man from Phantasm. And boy, I miss Pres Obama.

Aaaaaaaand a NY city skit, with the souvenirs. I had to FF when the show tune singing started.

Another boss with bad memes skit. He did that before, didn't he? I know someone did.

I guess if you like NYC, you liked this episode. Very one-note for me (except for the headless horseman and the first part of "The Birds"). Interestingly, my DVR cut out before the end, which seemed appropriate.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ottis said:

Is Mulaney a conservative? I didn't assume so, but his comments about "when coronavirus is over" while states are setting records for cases, and the "elderly man contest" which will result in nothing changing, made me wonder. Also, enough with the NY stuff.

Cold open, meh. It was fine. Just nothing new or interesting,

The questions raised in "The Birds" were great. I always wondered the same kinds of things.

I enjoyed the tune, but didn't get "Strollin to the Vote." Was it a statement of some kind? It seems like you should be able to look up which polling stations are open, and then take a mask. I can't explain why some states have lines that take hours. My state allows mail in voting, I haven't stood in a line for 20 years. I have a cousin who had to wait in line for 3 hours in Indiana. Seems dumb.

Headless horseman .. loved the concept. Surprised they had no women.

Oh yay, more NY stuff. Glad you like it. Been there 4-5 times, for work, no interest in going back, especially during coronavirus.

Jared Kushner looks like the younger version of the tall man from Phantasm. And boy, I miss Pres Obama.

Aaaaaaaand a NY city skit, with the souvenirs. I had to FF when the show tune singing started.

Another boss with bad memes skit. He did that before, didn't he? I know someone did.

I guess if you like NYC, you liked this episode. Very one-note for me (except for the headless horseman and the first part of "The Birds"). Interestingly, my DVR cut out before the end, which seemed appropriate.

Mulaney's parents are Republicans. You could see him in his Netflix specials make references to his family's background all the time. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

A little of Chaka Khan, Gladys Knight, The Whispers, Donna Summers, and old school 80s R&B flavor in that music video. 

I was feeling Kool and the Gang and The Floaters!

4 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

but...seeing sketches end in rape jokes feels like something from the SNL of 15-25 years ago, not 2020.

Yeah, I was finding the whole thing funny until that horrifying ending.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the episode. The monologue just made me eager for the next Mulaney standup special—I could literally listen to him all night. And all the sketches were fun and Weekend Update was on fire.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7