Type keyword(s) to search

12 Monkeys In The Media

From SyFy's press release (via The Futon Critic):

Syfy's anticipated adventure thriller 12 Monkeys will make its series premiere on Friday, January 16 at 9pm ET/PT. Inspired by the classic blockbuster film, which commemorates its 20th anniversary next year, 12 Monkeys explores the provocative story of a time traveler from a decimated future in a high-stakes race against the clock. Utilizing a dangerous and untested method of time travel, he journeys from 2043 to the present day on a mission to locate and eradicate the source of a deadly plague that will all but annihilate the human race. The series is produced by Universal Cable Productions in association with Atlas Entertainment, producer of the original theatrical film.

12 Monkeys stars Aaron Stanford (as time-traveler Cole), Amanda Schull (Dr. Cassandra Railly), Kirk Acevedo (Ramse), Barbara Sukowa (Jones) and Noah Bean (Aaron Marker). Additional key recurring roles include Tom Noonan (Damages, Hell on Wheels) as a mysterious villain and Emily Hampshire (Rookie Blue) as mental patient Jennifer Goines.

Syfy and Universal Cable Productions will uncage 12 Monkeys at New York Comic Con this weekend, with a panel on Saturday, October 11 at 5pm ET headlined by series producers Natalie Chaidez, Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett. Series star Hampshire also stops by to discuss her role, which was portrayed by Brad Pitt in the original feature film. Her character is the show's wild card, a brilliant and unpredictable mental patient who may or may not be tied into the Twelve Monkeys' conspiracy to destroy the world with a virus.

Facebook: facebook.com/Syfy12Monkeys

Twitter: @12MonkeysSyfy #12Monkeys
  • Love 2

From SyFy's press release (via The Futon Critic):

...12 Monkeys stars Aaron Stanford (as time-traveler Cole)...

and Emily Hampshire (Rookie Blue) as mental patient Jennifer Goines...

Probably a smart move to make Brad Pitt's character a woman. It wouldn't be fair/wise to expect some dude to play a role where half the audience would be mentally comparing him to then-32-year-old Pitt. Except Pitt was so not sexy in that role. IIRC, he wore a contact lens that made one eye look weird--which, BTW, is an excellent solution to the I'm Too Sexy For My Role problem.

I'm not familiar with Aaron Stanford, but he seems to have a very different physicality than Bruce Willis--so that's also smart for the same reasons.

I just hope this isn't the same quality as Helix, which, though watchable, is no Twelve Monkeys (1995).

Thanks for posting this, Trini!

Edited by shapeshifter

It's kind of strange that Cassandra used whooping cough as an example of a potentially disastrous epidemic. Whooping cough is completely manageable through vaccination. Is this an alt universe where the anti vaxxers have won?

It's kind of strange that Cassandra used whooping cough as an example of a potentially disastrous epidemic. Whooping cough is completely manageable through vaccination. Is this an alt universe where the anti vaxxers have won?

This was actually almost a PSA. My college-degreed niece hasn't vaccinated her 2 homeschooled kids, and when my kids were young, there was an outbreak on our street because a local doctor and his unlicensed "nurse" had substituted Tetanus boosters for DPT vaccinations. See recent CDC stats:

...From January 1-August 16, 2014, 17,325 cases of pertussis have been reported to CDC by 50 states and Washington, D.C.; this represents a 30% increase compared with the same time period in 2013....

So it didn't seem unrealistic to me, and I think viewers were supposed to believe it so they could be lulled into the suspension of disbelief for the 12 Monkeys plot premise. But this is SyFy, so, if it seems unlikely to you, xaxat, by the way they presented it, likely a big chunk of the audience will see it that way too. Edited by shapeshifter

If Helix could get a second season, I figured we had a very good chance. Still, it's nice to have confirmation. I'm glad we'll get these characters for at least one more season. (And I'm a little relieved, because I'm sure this season will end on a cliffhanger.)

It's low-rated in general, but

1) It seems to outperform Helix significantly. Not a big accomplishment, but still.

2) Its ratings are growing, indicating good word of mouth.

3) It's gotten the best reviews of any Syfy show in years--honestly since BSG.

• Love 1

The few people I know who watch this show seem to genuinely enjoy it, as opposed to the snark and hate-watching they reserve for Helix, so I could see off-season binge-watching leading to an increase in viewers next year.

Renewed for Season 2 according to TVLine.

I was excited to read about the renewal until I got to the part that season 2 will have new showrunners. I can't believe how good this show is at keeping me guessing where things are going, making the characters gray, and writing such morally complex situations, all while juggling numerous timelines and working withing a SyFy budget. I don't want anything to change. At least the new showrunners are the pilot writers, but I'm still worried. I'm just so skittish after having been burned by showrunner changes before. I'm looking at you, Goffman!

• Love 5

I think it's pretty routine for the network or studio to pair less experienced tv writers with an experienced showrunner for the first season, and it looks like that's what happened here. The fact that the experienced showrunner is leaving to prep another syfy show makes me think the network is happy with her work and confident that the creators are prepared to take the reins. Nothing is guaranteed, of course, but I'm hopeful.

• Love 4

I'm just so skittish after having been burned by showrunner changes before. I'm looking at you, Goffman!

Also Alphas.  S1 was phenomenal, S2 was a complete clusterfuck.  But in that case, the new guy was also completely new to the show so I'll try to be cautiously optimistic here.  

New showrunners? What the hell? Why? 9 times out of 10 it means the show will suddenly start to suck. (there are exceptions, of course, like Fringe, and Angel reinvented itself rather successfully despite having, like, 3 showrunners throughout its run). But then, we have Buffy season 6, Gilmore Girls (although it started to suck even before that), Community season 4, Sleepy Hollow, etc...

Anyway, if these writers aren't completely new and even wrote the pilot (my 2nd favorite episode after "Keys"), let's hope for the best.

Edited by FurryFury

I like the interview. Seems like I'm starting to understand these guys and how their minds work and their plans for the show. Although I don't always think they translate it on screen all too well (Ramse's a good example of a clearly rushed storyline).

So... who wears a mask? I don't remember.

I like the interview. Seems like I'm starting to understand these guys and how their minds work and their plans for the show. Although I don't always think they translate it on screen all too well (Ramse's a good example of a clearly rushed storyline).

So... who wears a mask? I don't remember.

Some good insight there. They addressed some of the things I was just pondering. They seem to have a good grasp of where the show's going. I agree about some things being rushed. I prefer the cable model of 13 episodes, but this isn't the first show where I feel like a couple more episodes would help flesh out storylines.

Comic Con panel:

SATURDAY, JULY 11:

12 MONKEYS PANEL: 12:00pm - 1:00pm | Indigo Ballroom, Hilton Bayfront Hotel Join executive producers Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett, and stars Aaron Stanford (James Cole), Amanda Schull (Dr. Cassandra Railly), Kirk Acevedo (Ramse), Barbara Sukowa (Jones), Emily Hampshire (Jennifer Goines) and Todd Stashwick (Deacon) of Syfy's critically-acclaimed series as they dissect the mysteries of the first season and hint at the twists and turns coming in Season 2. Moderated by Natalie Abrams of Entertainment Weekly.

• Love 1