Type keyword(s) to search

12 Monkeys In The Media

10 hours ago, FurryFury said:

Limitless really deserved another season. I blame the marketing department - nobody knew about this show, even people who I'm 100% sure would have liked it.

I wonder if BrainDead will suffer the same fate as Limitless. I think this show has the advantage of name recognition.

(edited)

So people don't think I'm just imagining or making it up, here's a link to what I'm talking about [beginning of the explanation on the first question on the list]... Five Questions We Want Answered in the 12 Monkeys Season Finale

Ummm, does everyone know something I don't?  I know there are theories about a Cole/Cassie child being The Witness after the sex scene at the end of BWA, but unless it was already spoilered and I missed it - as I avoid spoilers like The Plague - having unprotected sex once (or at least as portrayed on screen) doesn't guarantee impregnation.

ETA:  After reading it all, the author(s) is not exactly a stickler for getting details right, as it states that Cole bought the house in 1959, when in actuality he bought in 1957 or very early '58.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

So.... Entertainment Weekly just dropped a whole bunch of info.  Basically, the show is premiering on May 19th with four episodes, and then it will air three episodes both on Saturday and Sunday, basically wrapping up the entire season over an entire weekend.  They also say that the show has been renewed already for a fourth and final season.  I'm glad it will get a final season to wrap things up, but this is certainly weird.  I wonder why they decided to air the entire season over an entire weekend?  Honestly, if this is what they are doing, I hope they just put the entire season On Demand, so I can just binge watch it.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 9

I'm definitely glad they're going to get a chance to wrap things up, but I agree that it seems weird to release it all at the same time. To me that feels like burning off episodes they don't think will do well. But then they got the final season pick up.  

I'm old, though, so maybe that's how the kids today are watching? 

• Love 3

In case anyone wanted additional confirmation...

Regarding the EW article, it looks like most of the information comes from a Syfy/NBCU press release issued today:

SYFY ANNOUNCES SEASON 3 PREMIERE FOR ‘12 MONKEYS’ AND RENEWS THE TIME TRAVEL THRILLER FOR FOURTH AND FINAL SEASON

Entire Third Season to Premiere Between May 19-21 in Syfy’s First-Ever, Full Season Linear Binge

NEW YORK, NY -- March 16, 2017 -- Syfy today announced that it has renewed critically-acclaimed original series 12 MONKEYS for a fourth and final chapter ahead of its Season 3 premiere. The network also announced that the series’ entire 10-episode third season will premiere over three consecutive nights, from Friday, May 19 to Sunday, May 21 from 8-11PM ET/PT. The first four episodes will premiere on Friday, with three episodes airing each night on both Saturday and Sunday...

Edited by Just Here

That's just muffed up. Who the hell has that much of a block of time to devote to a tv show? I don't have dvr so I'd have to wait for it to show up on our cable's slo-mo on demand. What an odd, nonsensical and annoying thing to do.

• Love 1

I'll be all over that live as it is but if not, the DVR will catch it. I kind of like it. I'm guessing their binge format is an experiment for a show that has an established audience and they want to see how it plays out with past seasons vs binge format to see what works best. 

• Love 2

I may not be able to watch it live, but for some reason, I feel uber-excited that it will be released in a binge-ish format in one weekend - its kind of a Netflix-lite, as it were, where whole seasons are released on the same date/time.  In fact, I think I'll wait until they've all aired to watch them, so I can officially binge the whole season in one go when I can block off the time for it.

It'll really mess up the discussions a bit, not having a week to decompress an episode and discuss it, but I binge-watched the first season and being able to watch episodes without waiting is a great thing - especially with a show as good, engaging, and necessary attentiveness to details like 12 Monkeys.

Great news on a 4th season already, and while a little sad that it will be the last, the writers should be able to do it justice in knowing the final destination in terms of season/episodes.

• Love 2

I'm super excited that I get to binge watch S3! I agree that they are going with the Netflix approach to see if it works for this show (I think it will). Some Netflix/Amazon shows I have binge watched in an entire weekend. Others I have watched in big chunks (several the weekend that it is available and then one or two a night after that) and I'd say for the most part, it makes shows better. I didn't enjoy S4 of Buffy when it initially aired but after I got the DVDs and did a rewatch binge viewing, it was a lot better than I had remembered it because I got to see it all at once rather than having so many gaps due to sweeps and network scheduling issues. For a show like 12 Monkeys with a lot of twists, I think binge watching will be a good thing because it keeps all the plots and characters fresh in your mind.

S3 promo:

S2 bloopers/gag reel:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
On March 17, 2017 at 0:56 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

. . . It'll really mess up the discussions a bit, not having a week to decompress an episode and discuss it. . .

Yes. With the advent of straight-to-binge scheduling in general, I wonder if detailed episode discussions will become a thing of the past.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

. . . to see it all at once rather than having so many gaps due to sweeps and network scheduling issues. For a show like 12 Monkeys with a lot of twists, I think binge watching will be a good thing because it keeps all the plots and characters fresh in your mind. . . .

Yes, this is a good reason to release it in binge-able chunks. Most likely, however, the deciding factors had more to do with economics of some sort.

I'm just afraid I won't watch it because the time commitment seems so daunting. I realize it's not any greater than if it had been released as once-a-week (or so) episodes; but psychologically, it's like having all my thoughts about needing to spend less time watching shows staring at me in the face. Plus, unlike most posters, I actually appreciate a break of a few weeks — or even a couple of months — between episodes. OTOH, there is, even for me, such a thing as too long of a hiatus —depending upon the show quality; I never did watch, for example, the final season of Haven, whereas I was happy to pick up with the final half season of Breaking Bad after an artificially imposed (the episodes were already in the can) hiatus.

Which brings me back to 12 Monkeys. This binge-like release schedule implies that we could have enjoyed a shorter hiatus. IDK. Maybe they wanted to have the whole season done before showing it so they could do final edits for continuity, which is trickier when dealing with time travel — especially, no doubt, if one has to cut scenes here and there to fit the episodes into 42 or so minutes of running time. I just haven't yet read or heard anything about why they're doing it this way.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

With the advent of straight-to-binge scheduling in general, I wonder if detailed episode discussions will become a thing of the past.

I don't think that's necessarily true because (1) not everyone binge watches the entire season in one sitting and (2) even people who binge still take time to post about separate episodes. If you look at the forums for shows like Orange Is the New Black, Kimmy Schmidt, Master of None, House of Cards, Jessica Jones, and other shows where the episodes are released all at once, there are still people discussing individual episodes.

For me, it's not any different than a show I might watch on Netflix after the season originally aired - I have the opportunity to watch it all at once but I don't have to. Sometimes if I have time (like over the holidays or a long weekend) I will watch several episodes or even the whole season over the course of a few days. Sometimes I will watch only a few episodes per week. Sometimes I will watch one episode per night. It's a combination of what my schedule is like at the time and how much I love the show. If I could watch my favorite shows in a few days, I would do it if I had the opportunity. There are other shows I like but don't love so even if I had the chance, I wouldn't watch a whole season at once.

• Love 1
On 18.03.2017 at 7:28 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't think that's necessarily true because (1) not everyone binge watches the entire season in one sitting and (2) even people who binge still take time to post about separate episodes. If you look at the forums for shows like Orange Is the New Black, Kimmy Schmidt, Master of None, House of Cards, Jessica Jones, and other shows where the episodes are released all at once, there are still people discussing individual episodes.

For me, it's not any different than a show I might watch on Netflix after the season originally aired - I have the opportunity to watch it all at once but I don't have to. Sometimes if I have time (like over the holidays or a long weekend) I will watch several episodes or even the whole season over the course of a few days. Sometimes I will watch only a few episodes per week. Sometimes I will watch one episode per night. It's a combination of what my schedule is like at the time and how much I love the show. If I could watch my favorite shows in a few days, I would do it if I had the opportunity. There are other shows I like but don't love so even if I had the chance, I wouldn't watch a whole season at once.

I do, however, think that it hurts fandoms very severely. For instance, I'm quite sure that Daredevil would have a much stronger following were its seasons aired weekly rather than dumped all at once. It may allow for more in-depth discussion, but there isn't nowhere as much anticipation and speculation. It makes me mourn, because I love such stuff. For some shows (*cough* Lost) I had way more fun posting on forums and reading/writing theories on what would happen and the mythology compared to actually watching the show.

• Love 5

I can make time every Friday at 9 to watch the show for x number of weeks.   I cannot devote an entire weekend to one show because of other committments.   I do not have a dvr.    So I don't know how I will watch this season or if I will even get to every episode.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I can make time every Friday at 9 to watch the show for x number of weeks.   I cannot devote an entire weekend to one show because of other committments.   I do not have a dvr.    So I don't know how I will watch this season or if I will even get to every episode.

I have no idea about Syfy's schedule, but maybe they'll re-air it at a more "normal" pace after that weekend? (I.e. re-show one or two episodes a week, even if it's at a less-than-prime time.)

As for me, fingers crossed it's on Verizon's on-demand...

(edited)

SYFY ANNOUNCES SEASON 3 PREMIERE FOR ‘12 MONKEYS’ AND RENEWS THE TIME TRAVEL THRILLER FOR FOURTH AND FINAL SEASON

Entire Third Season to Premiere Between May 19-21 in Syfy’s First-Ever, Full Season Linear Binge

NEW YORK, NY -- March 16, 2017 -- Syfy today announced that it has renewed critically-acclaimed original series 12 MONKEYS for a fourth and final chapter ahead of its Season 3 premiere. The network also announced that the series’ entire 10-episode third season will premiere over three consecutive nights, from Friday, May 19 to Sunday, May 21 from 8-11PM ET/PT. The first four episodes will premiere on Friday, with three episodes airing each night on both Saturday and Sunday...

Just one week away now.  Goodness how time has flew. 

I will be waiting to watch it in a full binge  the week after sometime, or even later, but man am I ready to roll.  Might just go 'whole hog' and binge both the first 2 seasons before watching the 3rd.  Decisions, decisions....

• Love 1

I am ready to roll too.  Saw the first season 3 episodes listed on my dvr queue.  Won't be able to watch all of the episodes of the season, but I intend to get the first four watched.

I think the summer release date was no secret (I think it might have been mentioned in the spoiler thread).

It's what one calls the Syfy Cold Shoulder effect. They effectively stop caring if a show goes beyond a third or fourth season. Happened to Eureka, Haven and I'm not surprised it's happening here. 

Cool promo poster though.

• Love 1

‘12 Monkeys’ Unveils Premiere Date & Teaser For Fourth & Final Season On Syfy
by Denise Petski  May 7, 2018 
http://deadline.com/2018/05/12-monkeys-premiere-date-teaser-fourth-final-season-syfy-1202384443/

“That’s just so goddamn cool.” Those are the only words spoken in a teaser for the upcoming fourth and (previously announced) final season of Syfy’s 12 Monkeys. The network said today the 11-episode season will run over the course of four weeks, with three episodes airing from 8-11 PM Fridays beginning June 15, culminating in a two-part finale from 9-11 PM Friday, July 6.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Huh, so they’re not blowing through the whole season in a weekend like they did last year. 

I’m kinda bummed by that. I ended up really appreciating not having to wait for new episodes last year.

• Love 3

It's 50/50 for me. I love this show so I want it all, and now. But with some space between eps I think discussion will run more smoothly on the boards. Usually when I bingewatch a show I barely browse through the individual episode threads unless there's something I'm really psyched about.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2018 at 11:14 AM, coppersin said:

It's 50/50 for me. I love this show so I want it all, and now. But with some space between eps I think discussion will run more smoothly on the boards. Usually when I bingewatch a show I barely browse through the individual episode threads unless there's something I'm really psyched about.

For me, it was having only one episode thread for the entire season that killed the discussion for me last year. I knew there was no way I was going to watch the entire season at once and I do not want to be spoiled by going to post about episode 1 and seeing what someone wrote about episode 8. Partway through the weekend, we finally got separate threads for each night that there were new episodes airing, which was better than only having one thread, but I still don't want to be spoiled for episode 3 when I have only watched episode 1.

I ended up clicking on the Friday night thread, literally holding my hand over the screen while I scrolled down to the bottom of the page, posting my thoughts about the first episode without reading any of the other posts, then watching episode 2 and doing the same thing. After I watched episode 3, I went back and read the other posts. It was kind of an ass backwards way of posting (and normally I do like to read everyone else's posts to have more of a discussion rather than just posting my own thoughts), but I'm a spoilerphobe and I'm not about to spoil myself due to the multi-episode thread format!

There are several Netflix/Amazon shows where all the episodes are released at once and there are still active discussions for each episode (The Crown, House of Cards, Stranger Things, 13 Reasons Why, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Jessica Jones, GLOW, Orange Is the New Black, Sense8), so I wish we could get individual episode threads for 12 Monkeys again too. Plus I always think about how anyone who watches the show after it airs will have the same dilemma (risk seeing spoilers if they go into the multi-episode threads or avoid posting until they've finished watching). I know there are some shows that I didn't watch until a year or two after they aired so in those cases, I'm always glad that there are separate episode threads.

Specifically with 12 Monkeys, because so much goes on in each episode, it's majorly spoilery if you read anything beyond the episode you just watched! When I was watching the chunks of episodes from last season, it was really noticeable to me because after I finished watching all three episodes and then went back to read everyone's comments in the entire thread, I would think holy crap, ALL that happened in the last three hours?! The plot really moves at breakneck speed.

• Love 4

We're doing individual episode threads again this year. Especially since the show isn’t airing all of it in one weekend. Last year was a failed experiment.

• Love 7

YAY!

The most hilarious thing about last year was when Mr. EB came into the room and saw me holding one hand over the screen while scrolling down with the other hand. He asked, "What the hell are you doing?" I was like "AVOIDING SPOILERS, DUH!"

• Love 3