Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: A Real Handful

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

I’m going to chime in on the lack of food too. That tapas dinner seemed really skimpy and there wasn’t even any dessert. He should also have snacks ready when they return from their excursion. Tom doesn’t know how to think on his feet or improvise if things don’t go according to plan.

I noticed Malia gauging Tom’s temper-ature. After lunch was changed from 2.30 to 2, he must’ve whinged to her because she was in the kitchen asking him, “are you going to be okay for lunch at 2.00?”. What was she going to do if he wasn’t?

Bugsy’s afraid of saying or doing anything to set Tom off.

I could be wrong, but I believe Tom set the 2 o’clock time. Bugsy suggested 2:30, and Tom said he’d be ready by 2. 

2 hours ago, AryasMum said:

I could be wrong, but I believe Tom set the 2 o’clock time. Bugsy suggested 2:30, and Tom said he’d be ready by 2. 

My recollection was that Bugsy suggested 2:30 to the guests and they requested earlier so it was changed to 2:00.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 9/29/2020 at 9:28 PM, Chickabiddy said:

Not to pick on the US - I’m American after all, but we forget how small portions really are. My mother is French and my husband is German, so I get a wake up call every time I am in Europe about how small an actual portion really is. A basic turkey sandwich with h whole wheat bread, a tablespoon of low-fat mayonnaise, a slice of cheese, and ounce of turkey, a slice of lettuce and the tomato slice is well over 400 calories. I totally get luxury yacht, my vacation, my wallet, I want my gullet stuffed at every turn, but Tom, for all his faults, is a British chef with perhaps a more European concept of portion size. I always lose weight within a week of traveling in Europe. It could be the hormone free animal products, it could be the less- processed,antibiotic-freebie organic products, but really it’s just a smaller portion size. Tom’s portions seem normal on a European scale. And it’s not like these bitches are hurting for calories with all the champagne they are guzzling. One bottle is like 600 calories. It’s not like they’ve are burning that much energy going down slides and floating in  jelly infested waters.😉😘

If I’m ever on a yacht, I’ll have to put on my preference sheet “American portions” or “European portions but lots of them.”

• LOL 14
  • Love 10
On 9/30/2020 at 12:28 AM, Chickabiddy said:

Not to pick on the US - I’m American after all, but we forget how small portions really are. My mother is French and my husband is German, so I get a wake up call every time I am in Europe about how small an actual portion really is. A basic turkey sandwich with h whole wheat bread, a tablespoon of low-fat mayonnaise, a slice of cheese, and ounce of turkey, a slice of lettuce and the tomato slice is well over 400 calories. I totally get luxury yacht, my vacation, my wallet, I want my gullet stuffed at every turn, but Tom, for all his faults, is a British chef with perhaps a more European concept of portion size. I always lose weight within a week of traveling in Europe. It could be the hormone free animal products, it could be the less- processed,antibiotic-freebie organic products, but really it’s just a smaller portion size. Tom’s portions seem normal on a European scale. And it’s not like these bitches are hurting for calories with all the champagne they are guzzling. One bottle is like 600 calories. It’s not like they’ve are burning that much energy going down slides and floating in  jelly infested waters.😉😘

It's hard to argue that American's are overfed, but if you're hosting American charter guests, perhaps that should be considered when planning the meals, or at least give them the option of choosing.  I realize that charters are a for-profit business, but I don't think anyone will end up on the bread line if they increase the food provisions.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

Watching Tom unravel at the smallest inconveniences makes me think he really needs a signature dish like Leon's beef cheeks or Kiki's moqueca that he always orders provisions for and can cook with his eyes closed. Something didn't arrive? No problem, just make whatever Goldilocks' not too hot, not too cold signature dish is. 

I can't for the life of me figure out who made the first move with Tom and Malia and how it happened. 

The Jess/Rob nonsense makes me wonder what was going on with Pete during all of this. His social media makes it look like there's no love lost between him and Malia. Did he get his act together and realize that reality TV fame isn't worth it? Did he get along with Aesha? Is he still talking to Lara/Lana??

• Love 3

In past seasons the quests were served larger portions and more courses. Most times especially with BD they were served charcuterie plates or cheese and fruit between meals. If they are out on the ocean all day with not a whole lot to do they will sit around drinking and wanting food. I lived on the coast for most of my life. There is something about the sea air that makes you hungry. At least for me it does. It makes me wonder if  production is doing this with the lack of food just to get the guests to complain and stir up drama. 

• Love 5
On 9/29/2020 at 10:24 AM, biakbiak said:

Probably they are more expensive but you can get water resistant casts that use a different lining that makes swimming and showering okay.

Yeah, my mom broke her wrist right before my parents' trip to Hawaii a couple years ago. The doctor fixed her up with a waterproof cast so she could still enjoy her vacation.

Agree with everyone that Tom is ridiculous and a whiny diva. Looks like he picked up more than cooking skills from Gordon Ramsay. Maybe I'm spoiled by the gymnastics they do over at Top Chef, but his inability to pivot and put together something different than the frozen halibut was pretty shocking. Chefs have to make changes all the time, and it wasn't like these guests declared they must have fresh halibut at their first meal or they're out. Ridiculously rigid. I really dislike Malia, but was willing to give Tom a chance initially. No more. 

Jess is also ridiculous. A good portion of the crew's job is to be friendly to the guests, and yeah, maybe even engage in a little light flirting. Jess has done so with male guests. Her seeing red every time Rob talks to another woman - yeah, that's going to go well. I can't imagine Bali, if it happened, went well.

• Love 8
On 9/29/2020 at 4:59 PM, Jobiska said:

What I saw Aesha doing was holding her arm up, bent, and they were probably taking a long time to take the shot, and it was tiring, and she dropped it down to the region of Rob's butt, but didn't necessarily put it ON his butt.  There may have been up to a few inches between palm and pants.  We were looking from directly behind, so who knows?

This is exactly my take away from that moment.  Aesha's hand is in the region, but probably not touching him at all.  That would also explain why she and Rob both seemed confused or exasperated when Jess suggested otherwise.  He did not feel anything inappropriate, and Aesha was not intending any inappropriate touching.

• Love 8
On Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 10:52 AM, NannyBails said:

Regarding food portions -- I would want way more sides.  Like a big salad and platefuls of roasted veggies.   Then again, I am a yacht chef's worst nightmare - a vegan.   LOL

I'm not a vegan, but I wouldn't want big slabs of meat. I'd help you with the roasted veggies and salad! I would think chefs would be able to be more creative with vegan or vegetarian meals by now.

• Love 4

The hangry primary was just being bitch. After she went to her cabin to vent to her friend, one of the other guests complained that the staff threw food at them all afternoon! How could she possibly be hungry?? I have a feeling there is a lot of unspoken competition btw these women. I will bet dollars to doughnuts she was very insistent that she didn't need to eat a thing all day to prove she was nothing like those other pigs and so much better!

• Love 4

I can't take Jess. I hope she never comes back on. I know I said it before. But She looks like she is constant pain or doing a hard math problem in her head all the time. 

And Rob... He sounds like he has had teeth pulled and has gauze in his mouth. I can't stand them constantly kissing each other. On any of these franchises I never  remember seeing this much PDA.

Poor Aesha, you can tell her arm was uncomfortable when she put her arm around him. It wasn't a loving grab the butt cheek.

Sandy crying... UGH. Totally lost my respect... And I am a crier... But a leader shouldn't never do that to their employees. 

just my 2 cents.

• Love 3
On 10/1/2020 at 10:08 PM, Red Bridey said:

The hangry primary was just being bitch. After she went to her cabin to vent to her friend, one of the other guests complained that the staff threw food at them all afternoon! How could she possibly be hungry?? I have a feeling there is a lot of unspoken competition btw these women. I will bet dollars to doughnuts she was very insistent that she didn't need to eat a thing all day to prove she was nothing like those other pigs and so much better!

I wish we were getting more guest drama this season. It's been pretty minimal. They seem to have wised up to not being too demanding or obnoxious in front of the cameras. Too bad, that's always been one of my favorite parts of this show. 

My dad was a chef and made sure he was in control of whatever kitchen he was in.  Mind you he was a paratrooper during the Korean War and didn't care if it was his or someone else (was once kicked out of the neighborhood Chinese restaurant sometime in the 70's).  No way would he let anyone else check his provisions.  He did have a temper and would let you know after the service was over of his displeasure.  Chefs are notoriously temperamental but do not cause disruptions during service.  After service all bets are off.     

• Love 2
On 9/28/2020 at 11:32 PM, Kiki777 said:

Yay Alex for getting the lead deckhand title.  Too bad Malia immediately ordered him to go help Tom after Sandy told her to stay out of the galley.

Bugsy is actually kinda cute when she lays off the accessories.  She bears a slight resemblance to Sara Michelle Geller (I think I’m spelling at least one of those names wrong but whatever lol)

I think she looks like a young Rosanna Arquette.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I cannot imagine working with Jess. She is exhausting. I wanted to smack her when she was wah-wah-ing about her "love" and her "heart". Rob is also a drama queen. Can't stand either one. It must suck to work with them and the Big Baby in the Kitchen. So unpleasant.

3 minutes ago, Red Bridey said:

cannot imagine working with Jess.

Jess also can’t imagine working. I mean she complained when the guests came to the bow of the ship to take pictures because it interrupted her and Rob’s toxic rehashing when she apparently wasn’t even on break given how Bugsy was trying to get ahold of her!

12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Jess also can’t imagine working. I mean she complained when the guests came to the bow of the ship to take pictures because it interrupted her and Rob’s toxic rehashing when she apparently wasn’t even on break given how Bugsy was trying to get ahold of her!

I would have a rule. You slack off on the last charter you lose your tips. Period. 

• Love 1
On 9/29/2020 at 2:22 AM, biakbiak said:

Sandy should be studied in management classes for how to make the wrong decision at every turn, it’s almost remarkable. I would find it amusing if Sandy didn’t genuinely believe that she was an awesome leader and good at her job. Her conversation with Bugsy who clearly has a relationship with the provisioner and it’s clearly part of her job was not only a waste of time it undermined everyone involved.

Also, she has worked with Malia for about 12 weeks telling her she is her “pride and joy” is so odd just like everything else about her.

I was shocked that she dragged everyone into her smack-down meeting with Tom, and within minutes started to ... cry? She was! She was crying, or trying to look like she was choking back the tears. That was the most fucked up strong-female-captain performance yet. And Tom wasn't impressed, so it was wasted.

I also think her relationship with Malia is unhealthy and unprofessional. The fact that she came out recently saying that she, and the producers of BDM, think Malia is gay, was so beyond wrong. Wishful thinking Sandy! I watched the WWHL with the two of them and I felt like they were cool to each other, and I'm wondering if it's because of that. I saw Malia's reaction video to Sandy trying to out her, and she was like, no, I'm not gay, but if I were, I'd have no problem with admitting it and living it ... oh Sandy, you idiot.