Type keyword(s) to search

The Suicide Squad (2021)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The whole gag with Milton the driver and how that played out reminded me of the whole Peter bit in Deadpool.

Dopinder...i just love his name

8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Curious to see how the spin-off show will go; especially after Peacemaker's heel turn at the end; but I'm looking forward to seeing more of Cena in this role.

Is that why we got the cut scene? I have to admit when the Doctor talked about his heart I really hoped it was Flag.

• Love 3
On 8/6/2021 at 5:32 PM, paigow said:

The base would never have been infiltrated without Flag and the rebels. Something Waller never anticipated. Anybody could have been sacrificed in the diversion... no reason to waste Flag...

Was it a diversion?  It feels like the headset team thinks that Blackguard sold out Team 1- so maybe the initial plan actually was to have them hook up with the rebels.  Or, maybe Amanda set up the double cross (knowing that BG was a goner), but expected Flagg to escape regardless.  Clearly the Corto Maltese Army was looking to capture Harley, so maybe Waller put her on that team for that reason.  And along those lines, maybe she just didn’t anticipate it being a complete $#!tshow, and that Team 1 would merely be captured- potentially to be rescued and utilized later.

Or, maybe in these films Amanda Waller is a shouty idiot whose plans are terrible failures.

This was much better than the first attempt.  To be honest, I actually prefer Guardians Gunn to R-Rated Gunn, but I think this was more enjoyable than his older, more cynical stuff like Slither and Super.  This had just enough heart - particularly with Ratcatcher(s), Nanaue, Polka Dot and Bloodsport-  to cut through the splatter, for me at least.

Above all, I think it works better than the original because Gunn- like the LEGO Batman and animated Harley Quinn scribes- recognizes that the fun part of using D-List DC villains is acknowledging how utterly bonkers they (largely) are.  Ayer, it seemed, still wanted his Squad to be a bunch of cool, macho bad@$$es.  Gunn is like, “no- the guy who runs around in a polka dot suit is a weirdo, who has deep seated problems.”  But again, he’s also using those qualities to humanize them, and turn them into underdogs that we can root for.

I liked Starro as the big threat at the end- first off, no sky beam.  It was also a nice mix of scary and silly, which fit the tone of the movie.  And, unlike a magic or supernatural villain like June Moone, Starro feels unstoppable, but we can still buy it when he’s taken down by physical attacks.  I don’t get how King Shark is seemingly more indestructible and bulletproof than Starro, but he’s clearly the Hulk/Groot if the film- he needs to survive.

Peacemaker was fine for this film- I thought they did a good job with his progression from a crazy loner, to becoming part of the team, to why he turned on them at the end.  Plus, it helps to have him as kind of a counterpoint to Flagg and Bloodsport.  Having said that- I’ve seen enough Mythbusters to know that the physics of the bullet vs bullet collision were pure BS.  In a film with a giant space starfish, that’s what took me out of the film.  Also, as fun as Cena was in this role- I would have rather him stay dead.  I’m not on HBOMax anyway, so it’s kind of a moot point- but I’m also not signing up for this creep’s redemption arc.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, Chyromaniac said:

Peacemaker was fine for this film- I thought they did a good job with his progression from a crazy loner, to becoming part of the team, to why he turned on them at the end.  Plus, it helps to have him as kind of a counterpoint to Flagg and Bloodsport.  Having said that- I’ve seen enough Mythbusters to know that the physics of the bullet vs bullet collision were pure BS.  In a film with a giant space starfish, that’s what took me out of the film.  Also, as fun as Cena was in this role- I would have rather him stay dead.  I’m not on HBOMax anyway, so it’s kind of a moot point- but I’m also not signing up for this creep’s redemption arc.

I do love how much Peacemaker is being called a heel or whatever. These people are supposed to be villains. Just multi dimensional ones. He's not a creep. Not anymore than any of the other people that kill at a moments notice. He was never anything more than what he said. A man who would do or kill anything for Peace. He didn't make a turn. He was just himself.

I wouldn't get any streaming service for any one show but I will be checking his out. And hbo max is easily the best service out there for content so they got my money anyway.

I agree with most positive comments here. I don't let silly things take me out of a movie this outrageous. By silly I mean, they are not supposed to be real world realistic. It's a movie. One filled with things that could not happen in real life.

One thing I must say is that I feel like Harley Quinn is one of the most overrated and overused characters I've ever seen. That accent is seriously grating after a while. She has a animated movie, basically her own movie and she's all over two other DC movies. She's never the best thing about any of these projects but she keeps getting shoved down my throat. I don't hate the character but I don't need this much of her in media. I like her more as a small bit of chaos thrown in. Sometimes I feel like side characters breakout because of how much they do with a smaller amount. More of it dilutes the specialness. 

1 minute ago, Racj82 said:

One thing I must say is that I feel like Harley Quinn is one of the most overrated and overused characters I've ever seen. That accent is seriously grating after a while. She has a animated movie, basically her own movie and she's all over two other DC movies. She's never the best thing about any of these projects but she keeps getting shoved down my throat. I don't hate the character but I don't need this much of her in media. I like her more as a small bit of chaos thrown in. Sometimes I feel like side characters breakout because of how much they do with a smaller amount. More of it dilutes the specialness. 

I would have to disagree, I thought Harley Quinn's scene was the best thing about the movie and on a level that the rest of the movie could never reach. The flowers were a little much, but I did laugh at it.

The worst scene was them bonding in a the bar, I didn't like it, but I see why they put it in there. That scene would have been better if when he asked for a drink for his rat friend, the lady brought it in a shot glass and the rat drinks it by picking up the glass with two hands.

I thought the movie was enjoyable from beginning to end, which is a rare achievement these days. So I give it a big thumbs up.

6 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I would have to disagree, I thought Harley Quinn's scene was the best thing about the movie and on a level that the rest of the movie could never reach. The flowers were a little much, but I did laugh at it.

The worst scene was them bonding in a the bar, I didn't like it, but I see why they put it in there. That scene would have been better if when he asked for a drink for his rat friend, the lady brought it in a shot glass and the rat drinks it by picking up the glass with two hands.

I thought the movie was enjoyable from beginning to end, which is a rare achievement these days. So I give it a big thumbs up.

The scene was visually great. And that wasn't even my argument. Well I said she is never the best thing about any of these properties and I stand by that. As a character. But, I just don't need THIS much of her in DC stuff. 

The police station scene in Birds of Prey was also visually stunning. It also went on too long like this one did. It also didn't change the fact that I would have liked much more time with the Birds of Prey. She's not as overbearing here. It makes sense. This is a team movie. I'm just not a fan of her in large doses.

The bar scene was barely something worth zeroing in on one way or another. But, still a better bar scene than the 2016 version. And the dancing was top notch comedy. I don't have anything to complain about there. Maybe needed another cutaway to Shark bobbing his head in the van. 

Edited by Racj82
8 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

The scene was visually great. And that wasn't even my argument. Well I said she is never the best thing about any of these properties and I stand by that. As a character. But, I just don't need THIS much of her in DC stuff. 

DCs Harley Quinn meet Marvels Wolverine 😂. Once Hollywood and Comics find a fan favorite they mass market it. I have no idea if other fans are as tired of Wolverine as I am but, yeah I feel your pain.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

DCs Harley Quinn meet Marvels Wolverine 😂. Once Hollywood and Comics find a fan favorite they mass market it. I have no idea if other fans are as tired of Wolverine as I am but, yeah I feel your pain.

Oh yeah. Honestly, if the MCU waits a little bit to drop wolverine in, I will be thrilled. Every x men movie with wolverine in it became a wolverine movie. Cyclops, for example, had such a rich backstory and arcs I never knew of. Because in the movies, he's just a character that happens to be there. 

• Love 1

Harley was absolutely a delight and completely badass while retaining her clowny nature.   Casually breezing in,  being super blown as of tdks name and skill set.   Bonus points for flags "i didn't pick the damn team!" 

Also Sébastien gets second place as best character.   He sigh when people don't like him is adorable.   I grew up with pretty rats, they are adorable. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Delphi said:

Also Sébastien gets second place as best character.   He sigh when people don't like him is adorable.   I grew up with pretty rats, they are adorable. 

I got really upset when I saw Sebastian attacking Starro, especially when he went into the eye. I was afraid he would drown....I hate Rats but, he was adorable

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I do love how much Peacemaker is being called a heel or whatever. These people are supposed to be villains. Just multi dimensional ones. He's not a creep. Not anymore than any of the other people that kill at a moments notice. He was never anything more than what he said. A man who would do or kill anything for Peace. He didn't make a turn. He was just himself.

Respectfully, they’re not villains - at least not in the context of this film.  Here, they are the heroes - I thought the whole point of this narrative was to take these “bad guys” and put them in a situation where they could do good things and become better people.

Granted, many of them never got the chance.  But Bloodsport, Ratcatcher, KS, PDM, and even Harley friggin’ Quinn chose to risk their lives to protect others.  They are heroes.  And for a while I (at least) felt like Peacemaker was getting with the program.  Whether it was bonding with the team at the bar, or going off mission to help rescue Harley - it seemed like he was learning to trust the team, and not just fall back on his crappy code.

In the end though, the data drive was one line that he couldn’t cross, and he betrayed the team because of it.  Or, maybe deep down that’s who he was all along, and all the bonding was for show.  Either way, a person who turns on people who treat him like a friend is a creep, or a heel, or whatever- and I don’t see why it’s amusing when viewers are disappointed to see him throw away his chance to be something better.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Respectfully, they’re not villains - at least not in the context of this film.  Here, they are the heroes - I thought the whole point of this narrative was to take these “bad guys” and put them in a situation where they could do good things and become better people.

Granted, many of them never got the chance.  But Bloodsport, Ratcatcher, KS, PDM, and even Harley friggin’ Quinn chose to risk their lives to protect others.  They are heroes.  And for a while I (at least) felt like Peacemaker was getting with the program.  Whether it was bonding with the team at the bar, or going off mission to help rescue Harley - it seemed like he was learning to trust the team, and not just fall back on his crappy code.

In the end though, the data drive was one line that he couldn’t cross, and he betrayed the team because of it.  Or, maybe deep down that’s who he was all along, and all the bonding was for show.  Either way, a person who turns on people who treat him like a friend is a creep, or a heel, or whatever- and I don’t see why it’s amusing when viewers are disappointed to see him throw away his chance to be something better.

Nope they are all still villains. That the point. Well, ratcatcher wasn't really. Just a criminal. 

They also just happen to me people capable of friendship, love, fear and many other emotions. 

Also, just like most villains, in their mind they are doing the right thing. 

Peacemaker didn't want to kill them. He never betrayed any words he said in the movie.. He wanted to do the mission. That's how he feels he can save the day. Exposing the dirty little secret, in his mind, would just make everything so much worse. 

The only true blue shithead here is Waller. And again, she just ways feels like the end justifies the means. She's also just useless.

I appreciate the moment with her when she was going to detonate the bomb in Bloodsport's head. As shitty as she is, she clearly didn't want to kill him. She didn't even really want to kill Savant. A completely evil person wouldn't even hesitate.

Waller also forces people to lie and deceit. She's always putting people in terrible positions. 

On a human level, it sucks that Peacemaker wouldn't support his new friends in the way they wanted. What most would argue was the right thing. To me, it's more complicated than that. He was more worried about preventing war than spreading the truth. Neither side is wrong. Not completely wrong. It's not the choice I would make. 

I appreciate not making these characters so cut and dry. I appreciate their heart. But, also how flawed they are. 

• Love 1

I absolutely loved this movie. I was excited to see it was getting 95% positive reviews on rotten tomatoes, and carved out some time on Saturday to sit down and watch it.  From the comic book movie world, this compares very favorably to Deadpool for me: hyper violent but funny and emotional. 

8 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I appreciate not making these characters so cut and dry. I appreciate their heart. But, also how flawed they are. 

Without putting a lot of thought into it, my gut reaction reading this sentence was "This is something the MCU has done very well, and the DC movies, not so much." Jon Favreau nailed it with Iron Man, (and again with his work with the Star Wars stuff), and James Gunn similarly nailed it with GotG and again with this movie.  

They manage to tell a story in a comic book universe, and all the wild things that come with it, and also present to us very human characters with compelling relationships and interactions with each other. It's good stuff.

• Love 5

Quick question . . . has anyone established if the events of the movie took place before or after Birds of Prey? I know, doesn’t really matter, but I would’ve thought a few hundred fans might try to pry the answer out.

On 8/7/2021 at 7:52 AM, rwlevin said:

Weasel was…really gross.

Flag: "He's not a werewolf! He's a weasel. He's harmless."

Flag: "Well, he killed 27 children, but... he's agreed to do this."

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Quick question . . . has anyone established if the events of the movie took place before or after Birds of Prey? I know, doesn’t really matter, but I would’ve thought a few hundred fans might try to pry the answer out.

Gunn didn’t write it knowing how Birds of Prey was put together but I place it after. Harley’s at peace with her break up with Joker here while she was fresh off of it in BOP. 

• Love 4

I would say TSS takes place after Birds of Prey. In Birds of Prey, after the police station melee, Harley walks past Boomerang's wanted poster so it hazards that in between films he was captured and sent back to Belle Reve.

Edited by AngieBee1
On 8/8/2021 at 8:41 AM, AnimeMania said:

I would have to disagree, I thought Harley Quinn's scene was the best thing about the movie and on a level that the rest of the movie could never reach. The flowers were a little much, but I did laugh at 

Of all the characters in DCEU, they hit the perfect casting with two - Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn. One superhero and one villain (sometimes superhero). So I’m not surprised DC is milking these two for all it’s worth. I enjoy Margot as Harley - she’s a really versatile actress. I enjoyed Harley in BOP and in this. The first movie, not so much. But that entire movie sucked.

Like most of you I enjoyed this movie. While I loved WW and Spiderman 2 (Tobey Maguire), I also like it when superhero movies don’t take themselves too seriously, like this one, and Shazam. I also like watching a movie where I don’t have to think too much about what timeline it is and how it all connects to the “universe”. So I hope James Gunn makes more fun DC movies.

• Love 3

I probably laughed a little too hard at the revelation that Bloodsport and the team killed all the rebels that were going to help them. The awkward looks on there faces were gold. The whole "who's Milton" conversation was funny too.

I'm bummed about Flag's death, he was more enjoyable in this one then the first one.

• Love 4

Bloodsport definitely felt like a Deadshot stand-in, mostly because he was also doing the Suicide Squad job for the sake of his daughter.

Amanda Waller is the absolute worst. In the 2016 movie she assembled a bunch of street-level supervillains to potentially take down Superman, plus one high powered supervillain she couldn't control (Enchantress) who ultimately became the main villain of the movie. In this one she was willing to let Starro take over the city in Corto Maltese but a mind-controlling kaiju like that probably isn't going to stop at one city, or even one country. She's a bad person and her plans are criminally inept too. This is nothing to say about Viola Davis, but the writing on her character and actions has been terrible both times.

The main cast was great, plot was fine. Personally I'm not much for gore though.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Of all the characters in DCEU, they hit the perfect casting with two - Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn. One superhero and one villain (sometimes superhero). So I’m not surprised DC is milking these two for all it’s worth.

I'd argue that Henry Cavill, Antje Traue, and Ray Fisher were also essentially perfect casting for their roles.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'd argue that Henry Cavill, Antje Traue, and Ray Fisher were also essentially perfect casting for their roles.

Agree on Cavill. Disagree on Antje and Ray.  Almost anyone could have played Faora in my opinion and I actually preferred Jovian Wade in Doom Patrol as Cyborg.  Not that I thought either was bad, they were both good but not perfect to the point were I couldn't imagine another actor playing the part.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

Agree on Cavill. Disagree on Antje and Ray.  Almost anyone could have played Faora in my opinion and I actually preferred Jovian Wade in Doom Patrol as Cyborg.  Not that I thought either was bad, they were both good but not perfect to the point were I couldn't imagine another actor playing the part.

I still want more Robin Wright. She left this universe way too soon. Diana becoming a warrior trained by that mother but also that aunt was perfect casting.

Ray could kick rocks. I'm not siding with Whedon over him or anything nutty like that. But, that wasn't even Cyborg to me. They can write and cast a better Cyborg than that.

Levi is a perfect kid in a man's body for Shazam. He was only let down by the teen actor. That guy wasn't bad but the characters didn't quite add up. As a teen, he was never as fun or playful like he is as Shazam. That may be on purpose but it threw me off.

• Love 5
On 8/10/2021 at 5:40 PM, arc said:

In this one she was willing to let Starro take over the city in Corto Maltese but a mind-controlling kaiju like that probably isn't going to stop at one city, or even one country. She's a bad person and her plans are criminally inept too. This is nothing to say about Viola Davis, but the writing on her character and actions has been terrible both times.

My thought on Waller letting Starro take over Corto Maltese was that she figured some group like the Justice League would eventually take it on and win before it expanded its influence too far.  

I never saw the previous movie so I kind of took this one as its own adaptation of the comics (I have read and do own the original comic run).  So my understanding of the purpose of the squad wasn't to take on big powerful threats (a group like this to take on Superman is pretty stupid) but instead to be a free and disposable black ops squad dealing with things the US wants dealt with but without the US actually getting involved.

1 hour ago, Matt K said:

My thought on Waller letting Starro take over Corto Maltese was that she figured some group like the Justice League would eventually take it on and win before it expanded its influence too far. 

Even so, it costs her nothing to let the surviving Task Force X members try to stop the gigantic threat to humanity after they've completed their actual mission when the alternative is setting off their skull bombs and losing use of them anyway. There's even some chance of a net positive for the US government by spinning their involvement as a heroic rescue attempt and olive branch to whoever ends up taking charge of Corto Maltese. Killing them at that point would have only served Waller's outrage at being disobeyed. (And man, were her operatives fast to declare someone was going off-mission or what? At that point Bloodsport could have been walking to pick up something he'd dropped, or to see if one of the standing buildings had a working bathroom. Polka Dot Man is lucky he didn't get blown up the night before when he walked a few yards away from camp!)

• Love 1

It might not be saying much, as the first one was such a hot mess, but this really was a vast improvement on the original Suicide Squad. This one actually had a plot that made sense (in a comic book kind of way) characters that have time to develop, and managed to keep a consistent tone despite going from wacky to serious several times. I cant say that the first Suicide Squad is my least favorite DCEU movie (that dishonor belongs to the miserable mess that is Batman V Superman) and I don't even blame David Ayer for what an absolute mess the original movie was, its not his fault that his original concept was torn apart so badly by executives, but it is really not a good movie, despite having a really solid premise for an action movie with darker themes. This movie finally used that premise to make a really fun movie that could also go to some very dark places while also not drowning in excessive angst. 

Its like DC said "hmmm we tried to make that last Suicide Squad into Guardians of the Galaxy and it didn't work...what if we got the guy who directed Guardians of the Galaxy to make the next one and cut out the middle man!" You could definitely tell this was a James Gunn movie, he really shines at taking a lot of characters that seem really weird on paper but actually making them work onscreen, never losing that delightful weirdness but also making them feel very real and endearing. he has a real gift for really going for the over the top craziness of comic book fun, while also grounding the story and characters with very sincere emotions and heart. You really did buy the growing fondness between the team, especially them all hanging out in the bar (basically a better version of similar scene in the first movie) the flashbacks with Ratcatcher 2 and her father (speaking of MCU directors!) and I especially thought the understated but very sweet friendship between Rik Flag was a real highlight, which just made his death even sadder. 

The movie had a great cast, from the big names like the always awesome Idris Elba to less known but welcome actors like Alice Braga from Queen of the South playing the rebel leader, you could tell that everyone was really having a blast. Viola Davis as Amanda Waller is pretty perfect casting and I hate that they so badly used her in the first movie so I am glad that they had her be a LOT more competent and interesting in this one. In general the characterization was so much better in this one, they really gave each character time to shine, even taking Rick Flag, a character that was basically a talking stack of cardboard in the fist movie, and making him into a really likeable and engaging character, who's death was a real gut punch. I think my favorite new character was Ratcatcher 2 and/or Sebastian. Such adorableness. I also thought that John Cena did a good job here, I went into this thinking he would be a really inspired casting choice or a total mess, so I am glad that it actually worked really well, he has that hammy charm that can only be honed through years of wrestling, its a style that obviously works really well in James Gunn style movies. I know that a lot of people are getting burned out on DC using Harley Quin so much, which I agree with (even though I generally like her character) and hope they find a better balance for her going forward (or its going to be Wolverine all over again) but its hard to be mad about getting more of the Margot Robbie take on the character, who was one of the best things about the first movie, she's just so much fun. 

it certainly is something seeing Starro in live action, that was pretty wild and a real showing of what can be done when comic book movies aren't afraid to be comic book-y. It can be ridiculous, but also awesome. I love any movie where a rampaging alien starfish is taken down by an army of rats and a javelin to the face. I also totally guessed right away that the first squad was toast, considering none of the main actors who have been advertised for the movie were there except for Harley and Rick, but I was surprised to see Captain Boomerang get taken out. It was cool seeing a more unleashed Gunn, allowed to be as violent and gory as he wanted to be, really taking advantage of that R, sometimes horror, sometimes for action, a lot of times for laughs. The Milton stuff especially cracked me up. RIP Milton, the true hero. 

After being bitterly disappointed by WW2, I am glad to see DC putting out a better movie for us again. DC is still pretty clearly playing catchup with their distinguished competition and is still very hit or miss, but they are finally making some progress. 

• Love 6
On 8/13/2021 at 11:47 AM, Bruinsfan said:

Even so, it costs her nothing to let the surviving Task Force X members try to stop the gigantic threat to humanity after they've completed their actual mission when the alternative is setting off their skull bombs and losing use of them anyway. There's even some chance of a net positive for the US government by spinning their involvement as a heroic rescue attempt and olive branch to whoever ends up taking charge of Corto Maltese.

Her decision actually makes sense (if you don't care about the loss of human life). More people would have died, but the JL could have taken out Starro. On the other hand, anyone with knowledge of Task Force X, might get curious about what was going on if a bunch of super villains turned up in Corto Maltese. Does Waller really want Batman looking into this?

On 8/9/2021 at 1:34 PM, JTMacc99 said:

Flag: "He's not a werewolf! He's a weasel. He's harmless."

Flag: "Well, he killed 27 children, but... he's agreed to do this."

Harley's delight when she thought Weasel was a werewolf was hilarious. "Oh my Gawd, I've always wanted to meet a werewolf!"

Superior effort here. I didn't see the first movie, but I heard such terrible things about it I didn't want to waste my time or money. You can definitely see Gunn's influence, both with the humor and the character bonding moments. Haven't really processed all of it yet, so probably more to say later.

On 8/9/2021 at 1:33 AM, Racj82 said:

Peacemaker didn't want to kill them.

He seemed genuinely upset about killing Flag. "Peacemaker. What a joke." And when Ratcatcher2 asked why he had to kill her since he already had the drive, he responds with, "Because I'm thorough." But his voice cracks a little at the end of the sentence, like he doesn't want to but he has to because that's the mission Not sure how his series is going to work, unless it's in flashbacks or something.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

Her decision actually makes sense (if you don't care about the loss of human life). More people would have died, but the JL could have taken out Starro. On the other hand, anyone with knowledge of Task Force X, might get curious about what was going on if a bunch of super villains turned up in Corto Maltese. Does Waller really want Batman looking into this?

I'd weigh that against the danger of Starro's facehugger babies maybe working on Superman or Wonder Woman if they charge in uninformed. If Bloodsport or Harley Quinn gets taken over, the situation isn't much more dire than it was a minute earlier.

I really enjoyed The Suicide Squad.  I admit, I did for the most part enjoy the first movie although I found the animated DC Suicide Squad to be better than that film.  But this was a very entertaining movie, with James Gunn addition being all the difference, as creepy as I find him.  

Fun characters, good character arcs, a lot of humor and action.  They even made something like Starro work.

On 8/14/2021 at 7:17 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Not sure how his series is going to work, unless it's in flashbacks or something.

I don't think it'll be flashbacks; that's why the end credits scene was there. 

On 8/13/2021 at 10:08 AM, Matt K said:

I never saw the previous movie so I kind of took this one as its own adaptation of the comics (I have read and do own the original comic run).

Did you catch that the doctor who put the bomb in Savant's head was played by John Ostrander? 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:
10 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I don't think it'll be flashbacks; that's why the end credits scene was there.

Well, damn. The one time I didn't stay long enough, but I didn't think DC did end credits.

Yes, the Peacemaker TV Series will have flashbacks. They filmed that end credits scene when they were filming the Peacemaker TV series.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Yes, the Peacemaker TV Series will have flashbacks. They filmed that end credits scene when they were filming the Peacemaker TV series.

OK, but I took the OP as saying that the series needed to essentially be a prequel because Peacemaker was either irredeemable or dead at the end of TSS.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

OK, but I took the OP as saying that the series needed to essentially be a prequel because Peacemaker was either irredeemable or dead at the end of TSS.

I posted this in the Peacemaker TV show thread:

Peacemaker HBO Max Show Will Be Set In Past & Present

Writer/director James Gunn’s upcoming The Suicide Squad spinoff series, HBO Max’s Peacemaker, will be set in both the past and present. James Gunn said in an interview with Variety:

“Well, through the story, you learn where Peacemaker came from. There’s a moment in the movie where Bloodsport talks about his father and what his father was like, and you cut to a shot of Peacemaker, and Peacemaker nods. That’s the seed of the entire “Peacemaker” series. So we get to see Peacemaker with his father, who’s played by Robert Patrick, where he came from, what he’s done, what that means to him, and where he’s going after all of this. Because he’s not an evil person, he’s just a bad guy. He seems sort of irredeemable in the film. But I think that there’s more to him. We didn’t get a chance to know him [in “The Suicide Squad”] in the way we get to know some of the other characters. And so that’s what the whole show is about. I needed eight episodes to do it, at least.”

I hope this answers what you are asking.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:57 AM, MarkHB said:

Did you catch that the doctor who put the bomb in Savant's head was played by John Ostrander? 

I did.   The whole movie was a nice nod towards Ostrander's run.  Sad that Kim Yale is no longer with us though.  

As a fan of Ostrander's SS run I'm not a particular fan of the movie's depiction of Waller (I don't remember her being quite this ruthless) but if we get another one, I hope they can flesh her out more (or even in the Peacemaker series if she show up there).  That said, Viola Davis is spot on casting and I can easy see her intimidating Batman like in the comics. 

• Love 1

Finally saw this and yeah, MUCH BETTER than the first one. Say what you want about James Gunn, but he can write a damn script.

As usual, Harley was the best, but my favorites were Sebastian and King Shark. Laughed my ass off with every part he was in. I agree with Honest Trailers, we need to see Stallone recording those lines!

The opening of the B squad getting decimated was brilliant, and because I’m a petty bitch, I loved watching that bird peck on Savant’s corpse after he killed the other yellow bird.

LOL at Peacemaker and Bloodsport going at it. And while I don’t care much for Cena in general, I did appreciate the bit of him in his underwear. What?

I knew this would be rated R, but was not prepared for how gratuitous it got. YIKES. I think it even beat Deadpool.

I’d definitely rate it as one of the most enjoyable movies this year so far. I just want the third Wonder Woman movie to be better.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

James Gunn headed the Twitter watch party the other day for The Suicide Squad and offered up some tidbits.

-If you notice Taika has his arm around little Ratcatcher 2 on the tower the same way RC2 puts her arm around present day Bloodsport, giving him the love she wished she could. And Bloodsport finds his truest redemption in being vulnerable, not in power. #TSSWatchParty

-I shot this comedy scene with Flag & Harley & Bloodsport (she catches them sneaking in) the day I found out my 16 year old dog was dying & I flew from Panama back to Atlanta to be with him, shutting down production for one day. #TSSWatchParty

-“Obstacles are opportunities” is MY motto, which I say all the time both while making movies & in life. And, also, I drew Ultra-Bunny, the character on Rick’s T-shirt. #TSSWatchParty

-You’ll be able to see the deleted scene on the Blu Ray. Thinker tries to manipulate Polka Dot Man into helping him and PDM almost gives in but instead shoots him in the ear. #TSSWatchParty

-So @Dastmalchian started crying when we first tested out the body-horrific polka dot makeup (also practical) because he always loved Lon Chaney & Boris Karloff #TSSWatchParty

-Important to note if you look at the life signals in the Comms hub TDK isn’t dead. @NathanFillion #TSSWatchParty

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

She's crazy and he took Bloodsport's Squad showing up later as a legitimate rescue attempt? Enough time had passed that it might not have been obvious the two teams landed at the same time and theirs was intended as a decoy.

I've also read a theory (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) that maybe Harley wasn't officially on the mission; she invited herself along. I think it's been said that she isn't actually on the detonation board at HQ, but I'm not sure on that.

On 9/24/2021 at 1:23 PM, MarkHB said:

I've also read a theory (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) that maybe Harley wasn't officially on the mission; she invited herself along. I think it's been said that she isn't actually on the detonation board at HQ, but I'm not sure on that.

Squad.png

She is on the board for the first team though.

Squad2.png

Edited by dwmarch
  • Love 1