Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 6/15/2020

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, June 15 – The Political View with Rep. Val Demings (D-FL); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, June 16 – George Floyd’s brother Philonise Floyd and the family’s attorney Ben Crump; John Ridley (“Let It Fall”)

Wednesday, June 17 — Day of Hot Topics

Thursday, June 18 — Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo; Laverne Cox (“Disclosure”)

Friday, June 19 — Mayor of Washington, DC Muriel Bowser;Dallas couple Jenny and Chris Marr and their identical quadruplets; “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

• Love 3

Wow, another week with some timely and relevant guests.  Every one of the first listed guests has been in the news lately with important things to say.  This is what happens when there are few movies and tv shows for celebrities to plug; instead we get guests who are worth listening to.

• Love 8
(edited)

Lots of heavy topics today.

I think Val Demings is going to be the one. She is a tough lady.

The thought of Adam Glassman moisturizing his feet just made me lose my appetite for lunch. 🤢

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
(edited)

For Gawd's sake, those girls could screw up The Lord's Prayer!!  That poor fellow was sitting in his car chatting with the officers & then they decided to check his alcohol level.  I believe it was .01 above normal.  THEN, those assholes wanted to put him in cuffs & take him to jail.  WHAT FOR???  I'm sure the guy was petrified & his "fight/flight" instincts kicked in.  I'm blown away that "The View" didn't tell the whole (short) story!!!

Edited to add:  IMO, those cops CREATED a bad situation, without reason.

Edited by Medicine Crow
More to say.
  • Love 20

Does anybody else think that Meghan was actually crying while Sunny spoke at the beginning of the show?  She was breathing so heavily once she started to talk it sure sounded like she had been crying.  I thought maybe I missed noticing it, so I rewound, but Sunny was onscreen by herself. 

It's really rich for the police union to say the officer was denied his due process. 

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Ha!  So that’s the way to shut Meghan up!  Push a button!

Oprah should figure out a way to sell those buttons on VYD. There would be some serious cash in it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
(edited)

Uh...didn't Congresswoman Demings already answer the question Meghan asked?  At least Demings was able to expand on her initial answer.  And why must Meghan always begin every single question by stating the obvious?

Whoopie prompts Sunny to speak, and she looked like she was about to after Val Demings finished her sentence, but then Whoopie gets distracted, looks off to the side, is thoroughly confused, and says. "Sorry...Oh, (unintelligible word).  What?  I guess...", and Joy figures she should step in, and says "Do we have time,Whoop"?  To which Whoopie says,"Yeah; do it, girl", and Sunny then thinks Whoopie said that to her, so she starts talking, and Joy's like, "Oh, well". 

I do like Whoopie, but not as the moderator.  She's never been great at it, and taping from home doesn't do her any favors.  They've gotten better than they were at the start of it, but it still sometimes feels like we're watching a local access show. 

I wonder when Whoopie pushed that button that made Meghan disappear.  Meghan was also absent from Val Demings' last segment. 

Would Whoopie really have the ability to zap a feed from her home?  That sounds like an ability only the director or producer would have back in the studio.

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 13

I was reading about the ABC executive, and in an article in Variety it says she was "integral in the recruitment and hiring" of Meghan (among others, including Sara).

According to her history, it seems like Barbara Fedida would be out of a job now, except for this Huffington Post -  

Normally, a talent executive in a network news division is responsible for finding new talent, and developing and working with the network’s current talent. 

Fedida does all that at ABC News, but her role and influence go far beyond that. She is essentially a deputy to Goldston and has been tasked with being an enforcer and dealing with all of the difficult issues he doesn’t want to handle. She held a similar position with Ben Sherwood when he was in charge of the news division. 

“There were a lot of things James and Ben didn’t want to deal with, and Barbara was always willing to handle them,” a former ABC News staffer told HuffPost. And by doing that, according to sources, she made herself invaluable.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Goldberg, meanwhile, concluded by saying she’s known Fedida a long time and doesn’t “think she’s racist” but that they need to go through an investigation to find out the truth behind the reports.

“Let’s find out because if it’s true, she’s gone, but if it’s not, let’s find out what’s going on, and an independent investigation is what this needs because, you know, the days of systemic racism are ending,” she added. “Those walls are coming down, and we’re pulling them down.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-view-host-sunny-hostin-says-shes-saddened-that-abc-news-exec-called-her-low-rent?ref=scroll

Whoopi ALWAYS seems to give the benefit of the doubt to the accused in these situations. She's said similar things on the show concerning men accused of sexual assault. I think the most recent example was her siding with Matt Lauer's criticism of Ronan Farrow's reporting. Lauer made a few dubious claims and Whoopi was ready to throw the baby out with the bath water like none of the sexual assault allegations were true.

I like Whoopi, but some of these opinions really disgust me. Maybe she's not articulating things properly, but it really comes off like she sides with the accused because she knows them personally or is skeptical about the accusations in general.

I'm beyond ready for Whoopi to be off the show.  She's not a good moderator and her opinions are sketchy and poorly stated.

Edit: Ugh, reading more about Fedida and it's really really bad and makes Whoopi's comments that much more terrible. Does she dislike Sunny that much that she's willing to give the benefit of the doubt here despite Fedida's pervasive well-documented history of racism and other problematic behavior? The network paid out millions in settlements due to her conduct. There really isn't an other side argument to make here.

Details about the settlements, well-documented complaints like calling women in the workplace "c**ts" and actively working against diversity and inclusion initiatives are here: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/abc-news-toxicity-thrives_n_5ee3db80c5b684a0c4f2e297?wfx

I don't understand why these companies would choose to pay millions in settlements as opposed to getting rid of the racist/problem employee? It makes no sense. No one is that good at their job to justify this.

Edited by leftlane
  • Useful 2
  • Love 21
(edited)

Meghan seems to be against Defund the Police movement, but it seems like she's for it based on what she said today.

Edit: If someone asked her about it, she'll say she's against it. But she still wants the de-militarization of police and for people to not call the police for issues that don't deal with them.

Edited by MeThinkMeNot
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

Meghan seems to be against Defund the Police movement, but it seems like she's for it based on what she said today.

Edit: If someone asked her about it, she'll say she's against it. But she still wants the de-militarization of police and for people to not call the police for issues that don't deal with them.

I don't think Meagain understand the Defund the Police movement. Nor really has opinions of her own. She's clearly a parrot for her husband and extreme right wing media/conservatives. It's a shame. She'd be much more authentic (and probably likable) if she thought for herself and stopped trying to be the attack dog for the right.

• Love 17
19 minutes ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

It's the same thing over and over again.  Meghan needs to be told what she "should"  think, by her husband, by other conservatives, and this means she has a tough time actually listening, thinking, and discussing issues.  She has sound bytes prepared for most issues, and tries to use conservative rhetoric to shut down any other viewpoint.  She's not actually listening when others talk.   Example - when Meghan accuses Stacey Abrams of saying the U.S. is "no better than Turkey."  

I noticed that she is more successful in shutting down and talking over others when they are all in the studio.  I think it's because of her screechy shouting, which is less successful when they are each working from home, and Whoopi calls on them separately to answer questions.  

• Love 11
35 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

It's the same thing over and over again.  Meghan needs to be told what she "should"  think, by her husband, by other conservatives, and this means she has a tough time actually listening, thinking, and discussing issues.  She has sound bytes prepared for most issues, and tries to use conservative rhetoric to shut down any other viewpoint.  She's not actually listening when others talk.   Example - when Meghan accuses Stacey Abrams of saying the U.S. is "no better than Turkey."  

When she is confronted with a rebuttal to what she has said she doesn't know how to respond.  Like you said she has her talking points all ready but since they aren't her talking points she can't elaborate on what she just said because for her it's just a script.  Her life would be so much easier if she just thought for herself.

• Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, leftlane said:

Whoopi ALWAYS seems to give the benefit of the doubt to the accused in these situations. She's said similar things on the show concerning men accused of sexual assault. I think the most recent example was her siding with Matt Lauer's criticism of Ronan Farrow's reporting. Lauer made a few dubious claims and Whoopi was ready to throw the baby out with the bath water like none of the sexual assault allegations were true.

I like Whoopi, but some of these opinions really disgust me. Maybe she's not articulating things properly, but it really comes off like she sides with the accused because she knows them personally or is skeptical about the accusations in general.

I'm beyond ready for Whoopi to be off the show.  She's not a good moderator and her opinions are sketchy and poorly stated.

Edit: Ugh, reading more about Fedida and it's really really bad and makes Whoopi's comments that much more terrible. Does she dislike Sunny that much that she's willing to give the benefit of the doubt here despite Fedida's pervasive well-documented history of racism and other problematic behavior? The network paid out millions in settlements due to her conduct. There really isn't an other side argument to make here.

Details about the settlements, well-documented complaints like calling women in the workplace "c**ts" and actively working against diversity and inclusion initiatives are here: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/abc-news-toxicity-thrives_n_5ee3db80c5b684a0c4f2e297?wfx

I don't understand why these companies would choose to pay millions in settlements as opposed to getting rid of the racist/problem employee? It makes no sense. No one is that good at their job to justify this.

And what about the list of names Sunny ran down.  All women who have basically 'disappeared' from the network.  Sounds like she got off on being the HBIC, i hope they get some sort of class action against her.

Edited by Tammee
Spelling counts
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Tammee said:

All women who have basically 'disappeared' from the network.

Fyi - one of the people Sunny mentioned, Kendis Gibson, who she said was her office mate, is male.  He's one of my favorite anchors on MSNBC.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Poor Sunny! I hadn’t heard anything about the ABC story. I’m sorry that she was involved somehow (that comments were made about her), but of course they would be bad about anyone. 😞

2 hours ago, lusinia said:

I was reading about the ABC executive, and in an article in Variety it says she was "integral in the recruitment and hiring" of Meghan (among others, including Sara).

When I read about this woman over the weekend and her outrageous behavior I immediately thought well this explains why Meghan gets away with so much.

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, lusinia said:

Uh...didn't Congresswoman Demings already answer the question Meghan asked?  

yes, that's exactly what it seemed to me. but it was on her carefully prepared-by-hubby cards so she had to ask.

and when was she supposedly crying? I didn't see that

• Love 6
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

When she is confronted with a rebuttal to what she has said she doesn't know how to respond.  Like you said she has her talking points all ready but since they aren't her talking points she can't elaborate on what she just said because for her it's just a script.  Her life would be so much easier if she just thought for herself.

and much happier if she  just left the show and just spent her time huntin' and drinkin'

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

and when was she supposedly crying? I didn't see that

Meghan wasn't crying onscreen, but in the first segment, when they discussed the ABC executive, and it was Meghan's turn to speak, she was breathing oddly - both exhaling loudly and taking deep breaths several times throughout her comment.  It was almost how someone breathes when they're talking and sobbing at the same time.  I just wondered if she'd been crying before she spoke.  But re-watching the clip, it doesn't look like her eyes are red, or wet.

Her answer starts at the 2:57 mark -

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

For Gawd's sake, those girls could screw up The Lord's Prayer!!  That poor fellow was sitting in his car chatting with the officers & then they decided to check his alcohol level.  I believe it was .01 above normal.  THEN, those assholes wanted to put him in cuffs & take him to jail.  WHAT FOR???  I'm sure the guy was petrified & his "fight/flight" instincts kicked in.  I'm blown away that "The View" didn't tell the whole (short) story!!!

His blood alcohol level was 0.108 so much higher than the 0.08 legal limit.

But I'm surprised Sunny didn't say that the field sobriety tests including the portable breath test are not mandatory. So they could have taken him down to the police station to take a breathalyzer test. If he refused that test, he could have been arrested for not taking it. But the roadside tests aren't required (counting, walking etc).

If anyone is behind the wheel with the keys in the ignition even if the car isn't moving and the blood alcohol level is over the limit, they can be arrest for DWI. They needed to tell him that and why he was being arrested.

Rolfe doesn’t tell Brooks the results though his body camera recorded a digital readout of 0.108 — higher than the 0.08-gram blood alcohol content considered too intoxicated to drive in Georgia.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rayshard-brooks-sobriety-test-atlanta_n_5ee6f098c5b63958a6380210

Edited by OnTime
  • Love 5

I hate the way Whoopie always defends the accused.  When I complain to someone about someone else doing something egregiously offensive to me and they defend the egregious actions, I know that the person I’m talking to 1).  Has no sympathy or compassion for what I’m going through, 2).  Doesn’t care what I’m going through, or, probably care about me,  and, 3).  Minimizing my feelings and experience.  I have no time or patience for that shit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
7 minutes ago, Axie said:

I hate the way Whoopie always defends the accused.  When I complain to someone about someone else doing something egregiously offensive to me and they defend the egregious actions, I know that the person I’m talking to 1).  Has no sympathy or compassion for what I’m going through, 2).  Doesn’t care what I’m going through, or, probably care about me,  and, 3).  Minimizing my feelings and experience.  I have no time or patience for that shit.

I totally agree. I wonder if Whoopi would have still defended her if she had called Whoopi "low rent" or described her job as being not as bad as picking cotton?   Let me speak to Whoopi for a moment...
"Whoopi-heres the thing, Bitch says racist things about your coworkers and black brothers and sisters, she has the power to affect their lives and livlihoods-bitch is racist." 

I hope whatever she has said about Whoopi comes out-(and you know she said something) and then we can replay the clips of Whoopi saying she knows she isn't racist.    Sunny saw what Whoopi did. I hope she stops kowtowing and kissing Whoopi's ass now. Sunny is too high quality for this shitfest.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, OnTime said:

His blood alcohol level was 0.108 so much higher than the 0.08 legal limit.

But I'm surprised Sunny didn't say that the field sobriety tests including the portable breath test are not mandatory. So they could have taken him down to the police station to take a breathalyzer test. If he refused that test, he could have been arrested for not taking it. But the roadside tests aren't required (counting, walking etc).

Rolfe doesn’t tell Brooks the results though his body camera recorded a digital readout of 0.108 — higher than the 0.08-gram blood alcohol content considered too intoxicated to drive in Georgia.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rayshard-brooks-sobriety-test-atlanta_n_5ee6f098c5b63958a6380210

I stand corrected.  Thank you.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Axie said:

I completely agree. I think sometimes Whoopi assumes that if a person hasn't done anything to her, it means they haven't done it all. I'm not sure about this logic. Especially since - Whoopi has been really famous for 40 years. People can be racist to the people in their lives but be nice to famous black people. It reminds me of the Tyra Banks Show episode where Tyra had on this white family that thought the races should be separate. They came on the show and said a bunch of horrible things. At the end of the episode - Tyra pointed out that they claim to hate black people but the family wanted photos and autographs with Tyra! All the children and parents.  They didn't have a response. They were America's Next Top Model superfans.

• Love 7
(edited)
6 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I totally agree. I wonder if Whoopi would have still defended her if she had called Whoopi "low rent" or described her job as being not as bad as picking cotton?   Let me speak to Whoopi for a moment...
"Whoopi-heres the thing, Bitch says racist things about your coworkers and black brothers and sisters, she has the power to affect their lives and livlihoods-bitch is racist." 

It seems to me there was someone who had made a comment on whoopi's fashion sense, and whoopi had a long rant about that. But someone says something racist about her coworkers? She'll wait and see.

Edited by tinkerbell
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12
(edited)

To me, trying to like Whoopi is similar to the fate of whoever that was in mythology who spent eternity rolling a boulder uphill only to have it roll back down to the bottom every time he reached the top. 

(Sisyphus, I looked it up). 

Edited by suomi
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7

First, MeAgain saying she was drunk in a Wendy's drive-through and didn't get shot makes me have so much respect for her that I never had. Thank you, MeAgain, for pointing out that white people don't get killed while drunk in the Wendy's drive-through.

Second, Whoopi keeps saying that she was somehow ostracized for something she didn't  say.  But she did say it.  Should she have lost jobs over it?  No, absolutely not.  But she did say it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/jul/16/uselections2004.film

https://nypost.com/2004/07/09/dirty-trick-lewd-whoopi-bashes-bush/

She should be arguing the point that she shouldn't have been fired from jobs for what she said, but she keeps on with the narrative that she is being blamed for something she didn't say.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Miss Slay said:

I completely agree. I think sometimes Whoopi assumes that if a person hasn't done anything to her, it means they haven't done it all. I'm not sure about this logic. Especially since - Whoopi has been really famous for 40 years. People can be racist to the people in their lives but be nice to famous black people. It reminds me of the Tyra Banks Show episode where Tyra had on this white family that thought the races should be separate. They came on the show and said a bunch of horrible things. At the end of the episode - Tyra pointed out that they claim to hate black people but the family wanted photos and autographs with Tyra! All the children and parents.  They didn't have a response. They were America's Next Top Model superfans.

Exactly. She's Whoopi Goldberg. I'm sure lots of racists will kiss her ass because she's an icon. 

I remember that show! Those people were so bizarre I couldn't tell if it was all an act or what.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, lusinia said:

Meghan wasn't crying onscreen, but in the first segment, when they discussed the ABC executive, and it was Meghan's turn to speak, she was breathing oddly - both exhaling loudly and taking deep breaths several times throughout her comment.  It was almost how someone breathes when they're talking and sobbing at the same time.  I just wondered if she'd been crying before she spoke.  But re-watching the clip, it doesn't look like her eyes are red, or wet.

Her answer starts at the 2:57 mark -

I actually thought her eyes looked teary too. I think she truly felt Sunny's pain. We need more of this softer Meghan. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

It seems to me there was someone who had made a comment on whoopi's fashion sense, and whoopi had a long rant about that. But someone says something racist about her coworkers? She'll wait and see.

Yup.  It was one snarky comment Stacey London made in TV Guide and it was like the most egregious thing Whoopi had ever heard.  She went on a minutes long tear about it, ignoring whatever real topic they were supposed to discuss.  Call someone she knows a racist or a pedophile or rapist?  Well, we'll wait and see.  Make some minor complaint about her?  Prepare for the eruption of Mt St Whoopi.   (I don't know why I remember this, I couldn't tell you what I had for lunch yesterday.)  Funny thing was that Stacey was a candidate for a chair on The View and everything seemed fine.

4 hours ago, UpTooLate said:

One thing Meghan is very good at is being part of a team, and defending her "teammates." It's what makes her so annoying when she can't say anything even vaguely critical about Republicans.

* Unless your name is Ana Navarro or Tara Setmeyer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
9 hours ago, Miss Slay said:

I think sometimes Whoopi assumes that if a person hasn't done anything to her,

Well she didn't think Mel Gibson meant any of the offensive stuff he said because he didn't say any of that to her.  Whoopi sees the world as how it relates to her.  If someone is nice to her then they  must be a nice person.

On the other hand:

9 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

It seems to me there was someone who had made a comment on whoopi's fashion sense, and whoopi had a long rant about tha

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

It was one snarky comment Stacey London made in TV Guide and it was like the most egregious thing Whoopi had ever heard.  She went on a minutes long tear about it, ignoring whatever real topic they were supposed to discuss. 

So yeah it's all about Whoopi.

5 hours ago, UpTooLate said:

One thing Meghan is very good at is being part of a team, and defending her "teammates." It's what makes her so annoying when she can't say anything even vaguely critical about Republicans. But it also means she gets extremely upset when Sunny is attacked. Girlfriend has loyalties, I'll give her that.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. It wasn't so long ago Meghan (or someone on her team) was leaking stories accusing Sunny of leaking stories.  And she also tried to get Whoopi's hair stylist (and friend) Karen fired because she thought she was leaking stories.

5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I actually thought her eyes looked teary too. I think she truly felt Sunny's pain. We need more of this softer Meghan. 

Maybe I'm too much of a cynic but I think Meghan's pain is Barbara Ferida might no longer be there to be an ally for her.

6 hours ago, bannana said:

Second, Whoopi keeps saying that she was somehow ostracized for something she didn't  say.  But she did say it.  Should she have lost jobs over it?  No, absolutely not.  But she did say it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/jul/16/uselections2004.film

https://nypost.com/2004/07/09/dirty-trick-lewd-whoopi-bashes-bush/

She should be arguing the point that she shouldn't have been fired from jobs for what she said, but she keeps on with the narrative that she is being blamed for something she didn't say.

Have we ever seen Whoopi own up to a mistake?  I remember this whole thing and I remember what Whoopi said. It did't offend me but it did offend a lot of people and there was a backlash.  Just as there was a backlash when Ted Danson did his blackface routine at the Friars Roast.  Although with that one I was surprised (and disappointed) Ted didn't get as much flack.

• Love 10
(edited)

Meg, the rallies are different because

1) they are outside

2) people can socially distance themselves

3) people can choose to wear masks.

The Trump rallies are packing thousands of people in an enclosed space and are forbidding masks.

Oh for God’s sake, here she goes with the crib rant again. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 18

Meghan isn't in New York, which means she broke quarantine to go to Virginia.

The people protesting understand the risks, but they are protesting because of greater injustice happening to them. They also have the added benefit of doing this outside. Does it suck that it might spread the virus, absolutely, but being seen as people and getting police to stop killing them is more important.

• Love 20
(edited)

Someone needs to send Meghan a baby furniture catalog.

Maybe Gretchen Monehan or Adam Glassman can hook her up.

Whoopi should push the “shut up, Meghan” button again. 

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7
(edited)

Meghan's spawn may have been kicking her in the kidneys, making her breathless and teary.  Or she is upset that her ally Barbara Ferida  may lose her job.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

Again, MM, with the freaking crib!  Notice how she quickly changed "I have been in quarantine, just like everybody else, excuse me, sheltering in place". In other words, she went from NYC to a house in Virginia.  It looks like she had her roots done, maybe she could have sneaked to the "CRIB STORE" ,and bought a freaking crib, so the kid doesn't have to sleep in a drawer!

• LOL 10
  • Love 10

At least she realizes how tone deaf it is is attempting to divert criticism by admitting there are people in worse circumstances than not being able to buy a crib in person. (Oh, the humanity!)

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Poor Meghan is afraid that she won’t be able to buy a baby crib in person. How devastating. I can’t imagine the pain she must be going through. 😰 

I really don’t know how Whoopi, Joy and Sunny are able to keep a straight face. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
(edited)

Sleeping in a drawer or laundry basket  (or custom-made frilly basinet for the spawn of an heiress) is how most babies spend their first few months.

I spent my first 6 months in a drawer. First a top drawer, then a bottom drawer of my parents' dresser.  It was nice and cozy.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 10
  • Love 5