Type keyword(s) to search

Celebrity IOU - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Get thee to Restored on Discovery. Brett will restore your faith in unique remodeling. (Saw a Victorian restored today that I want to live in immediately. And I don't care for Victorians.)

The PB on this show appear to be wielding the tools more than usual (on original flavor PB, say). Maybe they're developing a sensitivity about all the SAG comments;-)

Anyway, they moved their grey and white insides to the outside and it looked great! Of course, it looked like the aftermath of a war zone before, and made me wonder WTH the inside of the house looks like (sure a PB mentioned it was nice, but, no photos/didn't happen).

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, wlk68 said:

What a transformation for that backyard! The concrete and cinder block were so bleak and depressing. Rebel's prison yard comment was very on point. The final result was gorgeous and hey, it wasn't yet another all white/gray interior. Yay!

I wanted to smack the PBs when they were talking about the "shade" the pergola would provide. That overhead structure was so tiny that it only covered the grill and counter next to it. The outdoor dining table and chairs were totally exposed to the hot sun. Not extending the pergola to cover the table was a huge fail IMHO. I predict a couple patio umbrellas will be added in the future.

• Love 5
On 5/12/2020 at 10:41 AM, camom said:

As for the grass, one of the brothers said it was artificial turf so they wouldn't have to spend time maintaining it.

It was artificial turf in the backyard, but I think they laid regular sod in the front, which confused me because they'd have to mow that anyway.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 9:07 AM, CruiseDiva said:

I wanted to smack the PBs when they were talking about the "shade" the pergola would provide. That overhead structure was so tiny that it only covered the grill and counter next to it. The outdoor dining table and chairs were totally exposed to the hot sun. Not extending the pergola to cover the table was a huge fail IMHO. I predict a couple patio umbrellas will be added in the future.

Finally watched the epi, and, yeah, that pergola wouldn’t provide but a sliver of shade. The next door backyard was visible, and you could see a full shade giving pergola across that patio. I kept looking at it and going “🙄, now that’s shade over there.”

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

The PB's motto. Unless it's their own house. Drew has non-open concept with colours. Traitor? Fake?

You are totally right.

And even on their other shows they almost always use some other neutral with some color in some rooms.  Literally all of these shows the houses are white, white, white..... you can't tell me that every homeowner they are dealing with have all said I want only white in my home and no other color will do.  lol!  I literally barely watched last night because I realized it is just like all of the other re-do shows--just wait and see the reveal at the end.  And they even used mostly white furniture in the house last night too.  

• Love 3

I am not defending them because it's all so one-note decorating these days but if someone "surprised" me with a redo of my house I would probably rather have white walls on which I can easily put a color I like than have some horrible color that takes umpteen layers of paint to cover. 

I am a person who must have color so I'd be breaking out the rollers and brushed before they backed out of the driveway.

• Love 6
(edited)

I have a feeling this episode was filmed quite a while ago. Late 2018 or early 2019. In the opening bit where they are talking about what needed to be done, Jeremy still had his Avengers: Endgame haircut. This means they were still filming or in reshoots. That movie came out just over a year ago. 

In later shots, his hair has reverted to his normal style.

He got rather emotional when he talked about his mom. Obviously cares for her very much.

As the PBs mentioned, Jeremy has tons of experience with renovations and getting his hands dirty. I feel like he was on site more than some of the other celebs and he spoke very knowledgeably. He helped install the kitchen cabinets, the counter tops, the tile in the entry and the fireplace. I liked the dark blue lower cabinets. Overall, still thought there was too much white.   

I liked the layout of the condo and would not mind living there myself. I would just have a little more color on the walls. 🙂 

Edited by wlk68
  • Love 5

I liked the layout of the condo and would not mind living there myself.

It's supposed to be her home for the rest of her life so I wouldn't choose one with stairs.  I wasn't clear, but it sounded like she picked the home though.  I liked the blue cabinets, too.  I like the trend of different color cabinets on the top and bottom, but wonder how long until that looks "dated."  Jeremy seemed like a nice guy who obviously loves his mom.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I am not defending them because it's all so one-note decorating these days but if someone "surprised" me with a redo of my house I would probably rather have white walls on which I can easily put a color I like than have some horrible color that takes umpteen layers of paint to cover. 

I am a person who must have color so I'd be breaking out the rollers and brushed before they backed out of the driveway.

I get what you are saying, but it is so rare for these shows to literally use so much white in their re-design, and there are so many other neutrals that most homeowners would be fine with.  I would prefer to have a colored neutral I might like than to have to paint everything.  It is a lot of work and or expense for some to paint--it just seems they could get it right the first time, in my opinion.  These rooms have all been very white with the exception of the occasional painted cabinet.  And then that is kind of funny--because if they are scared of using color in the rooms, how do they know the people will like painted cabinets?  I don't know--I just find it strange.

• Love 5
On 5/19/2020 at 9:25 AM, wlk68 said:

I have a feeling this episode was filmed quite a while ago. Late 2018 or early 2019. In the opening bit where they are talking about what needed to be done, Jeremy still had his Avengers: Endgame haircut. This means they were still filming or in reshoots. That movie came out just over a year ago. 

In later shots, his hair has reverted to his normal style.

He got rather emotional when he talked about his mom. Obviously cares for her very much.

As the PBs mentioned, Jeremy has tons of experience with renovations and getting his hands dirty. I feel like he was on site more than some of the other celebs and he spoke very knowledgeably. He helped install the kitchen cabinets, the counter tops, the tile in the entry and the fireplace. I liked the dark blue lower cabinets. Overall, still thought there was too much white.   

I liked the layout of the condo and would not mind living there myself. I would just have a little more color on the walls. 🙂 

I liked this episode a lot, and I like their relationship. One observation: Jeremy and his mom talked a lot about the sacrifices she made for her family and how difficult it was at times. But I assume she was a single mom since I never saw her partner in the pictures or heard them talk about one--although it was never mentioned. On their other episodes, Drew and Jonathan often comment about a homeowner being a single mom, so I wonder if this was a deliberate choice. 

BTW, Drew and Jonathan made Jeremy look tiny. I had to look up their respective heights: Jeremy Renner is 5'9" which is average height for a man. The brothers are 6'4" (Drew) and 6'5"(Jonathan)--so they're just tall. 

• Love 1

It nearly broke my heart to see Jeremy Renner and the Property Bros destroy those plantation shutters. Those were probably the most expensive and nicest element in the house. If they weren't going to use them I'll bet someone else would have liked to have them.

Okay, they got out the 70s style mirrored walls, but why leave that cheap looking "garden window" over the sink in the kitchen?

• Love 3
On 5/21/2020 at 12:14 PM, topanga said:

I liked this episode a lot, and I like their relationship. One observation: Jeremy and his mom talked a lot about the sacrifices she made for her family and how difficult it was at times. But I assume she was a single mom since I never saw her partner in the pictures or heard them talk about one--although it was never mentioned. On their other episodes, Drew and Jonathan often comment about a homeowner being a single mom, so I wonder if this was a deliberate choice. 

Apparently his patents divorced when he was 10.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

Apparently his patents divorced when he was 10.

I've read interviews where he touched on his childhood. His mom had him when she was very young and after she divorced his dad, she tended to rely on Jeremy a lot when it came to his younger siblings. There was even one point where he would have to rush back from his high school soccer practice to be her Lamaze coach when she was pregnant with his younger brother. 

• Love 1

Jeremy is a handy guy! Glad he survived when his mother left him in the sink unattended when he was a baby! 😬 I bet she didn’t like him telling that story.

I liked the reno. However, the white upholstered ottoman/coffee table and chairs were not a good idea if kids would be running around the place. BTW, if I took a shot every time “grandkids” was said, I would have passed out before the 15 minute mark. And BTW, I hate “Meemaw” for grandmother. Grandma sounds better to me.

• Love 4

Heh, no, not one bit. The upside for me is Jonathan has a celebrity girlfriend, after years of seeing Drew and Linda. Not that they seem competitive or anything.

I missed the “before“—did she have laundry machines elsewhere? 

I’d laugh about even Zooey doing a grey and white kitchen, but I’ve had one for 20+ years.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, buttersister said:

I missed the “before“—did she have laundry machines elsewhere? 

No, they were in the kitchen and Jonathan made a huge deal of how that's one of his pet peeves. All they really did was cover them up (before, they were visible in the kitchen).

• LOL 2
11 hours ago, tljgator said:

No, they were in the kitchen and Jonathan made a huge deal of how that's one of his pet peeves. All they really did was cover them up (before, they were visible in the kitchen).

He's the one so obsessed with being able to see everything from the kitchen. So why should people in the kitchen not be able to see people doing laundry? What kind of open concept disciple is he? 

• LOL 5

I thought Jonathan and Zoey were adorable together, but I’m a sap these days.🤣 

Too bad they didn’t have the budget or time to do an add on. That’s a tiny place to raise 2 children in.

• Love 3

Allison Janney....Spoiler Alert...
She wore overall outfit that was high water on her...must have been one that shrimpy Zooey left in the guest trailer closet....

Banquettes are all fun and games until one of the kids barfs all over the upholstery...that is a stank that lingers....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 2

One thought is overwhelming the rest for me and it's not Allison Janney in a red gown with a sledgehammer.

Thinking that as soon as the ooh and aahhs of their shiny new house calm, somebody's going to notice that their dining room (formerly the kitchen) windows look white-boarded from the outside and replaced on the inside by a large painting that looked like it had been rejected by a motel chain. 

No amount of recessed lighting and white paint makes up for boarding up that wall. WTH?

• Love 7

While I have to admit it would take a LOT of horrible things to make any party with Alison Janney a bad one, seeing the kitchen almost everywhere I go, would be one. Seeing a white/shaker cabinet boring kitchen would be even worse. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Banquettes are all fun and games until one of the kids barfs all over the upholstery...that is a stank that lingers....

Now days, they usually use Sunbrella  or other high-performance fabrics for areas  like that

• Love 1

A bit too much testosterone and desire to SMASH. Kind of reinforces the difference between these guys and those with a remodeling business like Ben/Erin and Joanna/Chip.

This is endemic to all HGTV shows. For some reason they seem to think the demolition scene is the money shot. I'm not sure why. Someone upthread posited that it appeals to male viewers. There might be something to that. You have to remember the primary sponsors for all these shows are Lowes and Home Depot and they are pushing remodeling hard. Maybe they figure they can get men on board by enticing them with the thought of taking a sledgehammer to their homes.

Zooey Deschanel has done something to her eyes. I wondered if her husband minded her kissing Jonathan on the lips but I see she divorced this year.

I was shocked to see Allison Janney with gray hair. She looks so different than anything I've seen her in. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3

Smash the walls and those ugly small tile countertops with grout but I was really upset they didn't gently remove those kitchen cabinets.  Those looked relatively new (and not builder grade) and in good shape.  There is no reason they couldn't have been donated..  It is so wasteful!

• Love 5

Since Jonathan and Zooey are dating, and have been for a while, I wasn't surprised at seeing her all over Jonathan.     

I wish they would donate the cabinets too, but some just can't be.     I think they should make more effort with newer cabinets, at least if they're real wood.        Even if the cabinets aren't good enough to go into another kitchen, people will take them for workshops, or garage work areas.    However, on vintage homes, often the cabinets are built in place, and can't be taken off the walls successfully.  

I think the whole idea is just to make everything dramatic, and often too trendy.   I really think a lot of the remodels will be dated in a few years.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Since Jonathan and Zooey are dating, and have been for a while, I wasn't surprised at seeing her all over Jonathan.     

I wish they would donate the cabinets too, but some just can't be.     I think they should make more effort with newer cabinets, at least if they're real wood.        Even if the cabinets are good enough to go into another kitchen, people will take them for workshops, or garage work areas.    

I think the whole idea is just to make everything dramatic, and often too trendy.   I really think a lot of the remodels will be dated in a few years.   

Unless the cabinets  are built-in where they have to be sledgehammered out, even crappy/broken down  ones can be put curbside  and somebody can use hinges, boxes, doors, or handles/knobs or even rebuild.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Am I the only person who hasn't a clue about who some of these "celebrities" are?

I think they have all been pretty famous. Three Oscar winners, two nominees, multiple Grammy winner, and most with multiple hit movies. Zoey might be the “least” successful and she starred in a hit show, was in a popular band, a beloved Christmas movie, and nominations for the Emmy, Grammys and Golden Globes.

Oh wait Rebel Wilson was on so she probably is the least famous.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

Unless the cabinets  are built-in where they have to be sledgehammered out, even crappy/broken down  ones can be put curbside  and somebody can use hinges, boxes, doors, or handles/knobs or even rebuild.

There are a lot of places where putting construction debris (which would definitely include old cabinets, no matter what the state of repair) curbside is strictly illegal; anyone doing reno has to pay to have a dumpster (and for a permit for the dumpster) along with all the other permitting requirements. It’s expensive and a PITA but more unavoidable than not.

• Love 2

Allison Janney's friend/assistant has the nicest house that I think I have ever seen on a remodeling show. I get the premise of this show, but with so many people suffering SO much, I'd love to see a show that helps the downtrodden, even if it is fixing a leaking roof, leaking faucet, new working appliances, etc. 

How often do you think the family will use the new dining room? That area is still separated and seems closed-in. On the other hand, it may be nice to have some separation when different family members are engaged in different activities.

I will say that I liked that they put the main sink at the window (my personal preference) plus a prep-sink in the island. I'm intrigued by the upper oven with the french doors. What is that all about?

I think the wine display thing took up too much space.

• Love 3

Zooey Deschanel has done something to her eyes.

I am so frustrated with women especially (I know men get work done too) doing too much plastic surgery, fillers, Botox, etc. Even when the changes are not too drastic, I'm still always asking "What did she do to her face?" And a lot of these people are very attractive to begin with. I know, I know ... the pressure of the industry, how you look in HD, our focus on youth, but I still would rather see someone age normally and gracefully versus asking "What did she/he do to her face?" 

Zooey's friend's house was SO small. And it looked from the overhead shots that there may have been room for an addition. The kitchen was nice, although boring.  Zooey had the idea for the banquette?!? Surprise, surprise, since the Property Brothers do banquettes ALL OF THE TIME. I will say the banquette looked relatively comfortable, and I liked the windows. Some banquettes look difficult to actually sit at. 

My concern was that the living area with the TV didn't have enough seating. I know it was a small space, but I am a big TV watcher, so I want a comfy couch and good chairs so that the whole family can be in there.

• Love 7
On 12/25/2020 at 10:17 AM, rereader2 said:

There are a lot of places where putting construction debris (which would definitely include old cabinets, no matter what the state of repair) curbside is strictly illegal; anyone doing reno has to pay to have a dumpster (and for a permit for the dumpster) along with all the other permitting requirements. It’s expensive and a PITA but more unavoidable than not.

Point granted, but since these shows--i.e., production, are having to deal with HOA/condo/building codes,  inspections, etc, they could also find out if putting intact cabinets  curbside is a fineable offense.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

Point granted, but since these shows--i.e., production, are having to deal with HOA/condo/building codes,  inspections, etc, they could also find out if putting intact cabinets  curbside is a fineable offense.

But these programmes also have more than enough money to move them to a holding area for Habitat for Humanity etc. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

But these programmes also have more than enough money to move them to a holding area for Habitat for Humanity etc. 

Yes, generally they do, but the cabinets mentioned in these thread aren't  good enough to donate-- but are good enough if you want one for your basement, garage, that may need some love  to make it better

• Love 1

I did not know that.

I am so frustrated with women especially (I know men get work done too) doing too much plastic surgery, fillers, Botox, etc. Even when the changes are not too drastic, I'm still always asking "What did she do to her face?" And a lot of these people are very attractive to begin with. I know, I know ... the pressure of the industry, how you look in HD, our focus on youth, but I still would rather see someone age normally and gracefully versus asking "What did she/he do to her face?" 

Agreed. We all understand how detrimental aging can be to an actress's career, but the first thing they all seem to do is rush out and have their eyes done and then they just look like they've had their eyes done. They don't look younger, they just look different. In Zooey's case, in particular, her big blue eyes were arguably her best feature. Now they're a different shape. 

How often do you think the family will use the new dining room? That area is still separated and seems closed-in. On the other hand, it may be nice to have some separation when different family members are engaged in different activities.

If I live to be a thousand I will never understand the desire to have the kitchen on full display in the main living area. It means having to keep your kitchen spotless all the time. No pots or pans on the stove, no dishes on the countertops or in the sink. It always has to look like a showroom. Oh, but I forgot, you need to be able to watch the kids while you're cooking. Or they will die.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
On 12/31/2020 at 5:33 PM, iMonrey said:

I did not know that.

Agreed. We all understand how detrimental aging can be to an actress's career, but the first thing they all seem to do is rush out and have their eyes done and then they just look like they've had their eyes done. They don't look younger, they just look different. In Zooey's case, in particular, her big blue eyes were arguably her best feature. Now they're a different shape. 

If I live to be a thousand I will never understand the desire to have the kitchen on full display in the main living area. It means having to keep your kitchen spotless all the time. No pots or pans on the stove, no dishes on the countertops or in the sink. It always has to look like a showroom. Oh, but I forgot, you need to be able to watch the kids while you're cooking. Or they will die.

I must be the only person on the planet who keeps a clean kitchen. Dirty dishes go into the dishwasher which gets run when it’s full and emptied when it’s done running, I clean the counters and stove top every day which takes less than 10 minutes tops, sweep the floor which takes 5 minutes tops. Who would prepare food in all of these dirty kitchens that no one wants to clean up?

• Love 6

The Brothers should not have guests hotter than they are. Justin Hartley made their arms look twig like in comparison. I would be happy to have my backyard redone. Mat seemed overwhelmed.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1