Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Vegas Pool Party

• Start Topic

The finalists are challenged with creating dishes that represent them, and each finalist must describe his or her dish to guests at a pool party at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. The Selection Committee decides who did the best overall and sends one finalist home.

Mod note: I'm going to be away from the forums for a few days. Two awesome mods - @Veruca Assault and @Rhondinella - will be checking in occasionally, and if you need to PM a mod between now and the 18th, they're the ones to go to. I don't think we've had any reports from this forum (pat yourselves on the back!), so continue snarking away, don't get blinded by the glare from LBH's 54 teeth, and have a great week!

• Love 4

Bella, enjoy your days away. 

wFSiA51.jpgAs if we need a magnifying glass to see that mouthful of teeth!

How much do I want to slap the stupid out of Sarah ?!    AND.... how surprised are we to see Luca back????

Does this network seriously think anybody would tune into a show with Sarah?  There was a good reason she flamed out of this show once before. She's ridiculous.

I honestly would not watch any of these people except Lenny.  He can cook, he can speak, he keeps my attention and while he may be a little corny, he's not a moron.  

I previously liked Nicole and Emma, but when did they both turn into idiots? 

Was Giada wearing the same dress Sharon Stone wore in "Basic Instinct"?

• Love 6

Boo!!  I thought that we were finally going to be rid of Sarah.  They must not have taken the audience reactions into play because next to no one went to her table.  

And how in the heck did they not have hair product in the bottom?  She failed at two of the three tasks and not a lot of people came to her table.  But I guess since they like her food, they thought that was enough to save her even though it was not enough to save Christopher a couple of weeks ago.

Yet Emma killed it on two of the three parts and they put her in the bottom three?  It makes no sense at all.

• Love 1

I am so fucking sick of Sarah. I was so hoping I could do a little dance and sing "Thank God and Greyhound She's Gone".... WHY do they focus on her ALL the time!??? I've never really disliked someone on a cooking competition as much as I do Sarah. I want her gone...yesterday.

I sort of knew Chris was on his way out based on the way he was cooking that tenderloin, and all the attention he was getting in interviews. 

Could Luca do no wrong tonight? Of course not, Giada's cleavage started becoming more pronounced with each event.

Lenny... love him or hate him, he brought it. I wanted to taste that ketchup so bad. I didn't need to see him bare-chested for the belly flop, but man... he's definitely the one to beat at this point. He's funny, his food is good according to Alton and Giada, and the people loved him.

Emma and her Cold Voice still drives me to sleep. Nicole thinking she could lie about the type of ham she had and get away with that? She lost all her brain cells on the flight to Vegas, i guess.

Loreal... just be quiet, please. I cannot take much more of your grating screeching voice.

• Love 4

I can't argue with the result because I don't care about the outcome, and because I kind of like Nicole.

But, deliberately mis-representing what ingredient you're using ought to be kind of a big deal.

• Love 3

Another thing I thought of when watching them (well, Nicole, Sarah and a couple of others) bitching and freaking out about having to cook one appetizer for 100 people. They better get used to that, and much, much more. I used to do private catering, by myself. My mother died on a Sunday night, her funeral was on a Wednesday afternoon, 500 miles away. I drove back home right afterward, getting in around 3 am. I had to cater a party for 150 people by myself on Saturday. Which left me Thursday to buy food, prep, and Friday to get it all pulled together. Eight appetizer/finger foods, and a three-tiered anniversary cake, decorated, etc... I did it. By myself, in my time of absolute hellish grief. I do NOT want to hear these clowns complain about anything, given the fact they've made it this far and this is what they want to do for a career.

• Love 12

Putting the words "Sarah" and "potential" in the same sentence literally made me laugh out loud.  Great joke, Food Network.  Nicely done.

Sarah just needs to STFU.  Seriously.  All she ever does is make smart-assed comments about others, smile when they screw up and produce subpar stuff.

WTF is the point of the tokens if they're not going to factor into anything? This show can't get out of its own freaking way anymore.

• Love 6

Give me some of your beef? Bitch please! It's a competition!! Bye Chris.

I need for BeeHive L'oreal to disappear. I live not too far from Williamsburg Brooklyn which is aiming to become the hipster capital of the universe so I've had my fill of this "I'm so cool cause I'm retro" bullshit. Go away.

• Love 3

I know that Lenny was the highest, but they did not tell us who was lowest, probably because it was not Chris who they wanted to get rid of.

Sarah was a witch tonight.  If she wanted the beef tenderloin, she should have gotten in there more quickly.  Her nastiness towards Chris was uncalled for.

• Love 3

OMG Sarah's THs were really annoying tonight, especially when people were describing the food.  Just because she flamed out she had the nerve to criticize whoever did well.

I laughed like hell when Chris wouldn't share his beef with her.  I too was dancing with glee at the thought of her finally going.

Welcome back eye candy Luca!

Sarah just needs to STFU.  Seriously.  All she ever does is make smart-assed comments about others, smile when they screw up

Did you notice her laughing out loud when Nicole was trying to describe the dishes (the three) and Nicole turned around and shot her the look from hell? :)

• Love 5

WTF is the point of the tokens if they're not going to factor into anything? This show can't get out of its own freaking way anymore.

Good question, I was wondering that too. If they're going to have people vote, there should be a reason that isn't "just to find a use for chips". I'm not sorry Chris is gone, he's only been good at the schtick, he never delivered on talking about the food, & his food wasn't great. Hopefully Sarah is gone next week. I think it's going to come down to Lenny, Luca, & Emma, with either Lenny or Luca the winner.

I can not stand these people. I don't care if Lenny showed me how to make calorie free chocolate, I wouldn't watch. Sarah & her self-entitled delusions need to leave & they can take Loreal & her stchick with her. Emma & Nicole both seem pleasant enough & I think they can actually cook but I don't know if they could carry a show. Who does that leave? Luca. Eh. I'm ok with that I suppose. I doubt I'll watch any of these people on any show.

I hate the way LBH enunciates food words so precisely. I find it pretentious. Relistically that may be my disgust & distain for her coloring my perception. I like it so much better when she's out of town.

• Love 5
(edited)

I am so fucking sick of Sarah. I was so hoping I could do a little dance and sing "Thank God and Greyhound She's Gone".... WHY do they focus on her ALL the time!??? I've never really disliked someone on a cooking competition as much as I do Sarah. I want her gone...yesterday.

I sort of knew Chris was on his way out based on the way he was cooking that tenderloin, and all the attention he was getting in interviews.

Could Luca do no wrong tonight? Of course not, Giada's cleavage started becoming more pronounced with each event.

Lenny... love him or hate him, he brought it. I wanted to taste that ketchup so bad. I didn't need to see him bare-chested for the belly flop, but man... he's definitely the one to beat at this point. He's funny, his food is good according to Alton and Giada, and the people loved him.

Emma and her Cold Voice still drives me to sleep. Nicole thinking she could lie about the type of ham she had and get away with that? She lost all her brain cells on the flight to Vegas, i guess.

Loreal... just be quiet, please. I cannot take much more of your grating screeching voice.

I have never greed with the salvation challenge. If they got voted out once then they're out. I was surprised to see the other contestants happy about his return. Bash me if you will, but I don't think Luca is that hot. He looks dirty and greasy to me.

I was hoping to see Sarah eliminated tonight. The viewers also predicted that she would be sent home. I liked Chris and his personality. He had charisma but just didn't have the cooking chops of the others. As for taking all of the beef, I think Sarah copped out by whining that Chris took all the beef. I'm sure there was other cuts she could have made. I agree that her dish didn't portray Texas.

Lenny brought it tonight and honestly, he seems to be the best choice for the win. He has presence, personality and his food has been consistently good.

I agree about Nicole. She might not have fooled the partygoers but did she really think she would fool Giada and Alton that it was Serrano ham? She was not thinking.

Emma nailed her presentation and her good but they didn't like her plan to have guests serve themselves. I totally get that because when you're at a party you don't want to work that hard. I knew she was safe when she was placed on the bottom 3. The only thing she screwed up was the party guests serving themselves. Even Giada said that she got 2 out of 3.

Edited by SusannahTaylor3
I think it's going to come down to Lenny, Luca, & Emma, with either Lenny or Luca the winner.

Yeah.  I would add Nicole as the F4, with Loreal and Sarah the last remaining low-hanging fruit.

However, given that the viewer vote determines the winner (assuming they're being honest about that) I think if they have a particular chosen one they may want to pad the F3 with finalists who aren't likely to out-cook or out-present their chosen one.

Sometimes in situations like this I think they just try to make sure the F3 are all people they could live with as winners.  And, if that's the case, I agree it's probably Lenny, Emma and Luca (or Nicole).

I'm sure there was other cuts she could have made. I agree that her dish didn't portray Texas.

Loreal took what was usually a tough cut of beef and made it work. Which is why I still cannot believe Sarah is still there, she has no idea what she's doing, in my opinion.

I think this is Lenny's to lose. Luca can't annunciate to the point I'd watch him on TV without subtitles. Loreal would make me run screaming from the room. Nicole is untrustworthy if she'd lie to people about one of her ingredients. Emma puts me to sleep. Just my opinion.

• Love 2

They never even told us the results of the dial thing or the tokens.  My guess is that those results did not fit their agenda so they chose not to reveal them.

I think they said during the judging that Lenny scored high on the dial of doom. I also thought that they mentioned that Emma did well. They may not have felt they needed to say anything because we saw the dial as they were presenting their food.

Which is why I still cannot believe Sarah is still there, she has no idea what she's doing, in my opinion.

She reminds me of Vic Vegas (or whatever that's clown's name was), who changed his POV 2 or 3 times in the course of a few weeks.

Sarah started out with "date night" as her POV, until for some reason she dropped that in favor of "Texas.  Which, apparently, consists of simply Tourette'ing "Texas . . . Texas . . . Texas. . . ".  

• Love 1
(edited)

God help me I'm starting to like and root for Lenny.  At least he doesn't take himself so serious and boy did those burgers look delicious.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 3

Sarah started out with "date night" as her POV

OMG, you're right, she did! I remember now, saying something about how Damaris already had that one on the air. Maybe someone pointed that out to her and she suddenly decided she needed a new angle. Just get her off my TV, please, forever!

(edited)

I can see Lenny and Emma in the finals but I'm having a hard time with Luca being in it. He was sent home week 2. I have a hard time seeing someone who was eliminated once win the whole thing. I can see Nicole in there with Emma and Lenny with Lenny for the win. Even Alton said tonight that he was the one to beat. Lenny reminds me in a way if Guy. He's a big personality like Guy. He has charisma, personality, and presence and can cook.

One question..... Why did Sarah come out wearing a crown for her presentation? I didn't see any connection between that and her presentation.

Edited by SusannahTaylor3
  • Love 1

I can totally see Lenny winning this, but I like Nicole and Emma and would rather it be one of them.

Lenny is a bit of a character, but he really did a good job of playing to the crowd and getting them to try his food, which was very good.  He wasn't great at the first challenge, but did so well on the other two parts, it was evident that they would call him safe first.

I had a sinking feeling it was going to be between Chris and Sarah based upon the number of TH they each had. For an instant I thought it would be Christmas in July and we would be rid of Sarah once and for all, but alas Miss Date night, I mean Miss Baby Food, no Miss Republic of Texas survives to annoy another day. I hated her little smirk when the judges were giving Chris his critique;she couldn't wait to bring up beefgate, because in her mind, that was the cause of her lackluster dish. I'm glad the judges shut that shit down.

Luca has spent his time on Star Salvation wisely, he really stepped up today. Lenny is not my cup of tea but he can cook so there's that. Emma's voice is the best sleeping aid around; I could listen to her on an endless loop and never be sleep deprived again. Nicole misrepresented her dish and she has an air of quiet desperation about her that I find off putting, The less said about Loreal the better, she really grates.

All in all I have no dog in this race but I'll torture myself and stick it out to the bitter end.

• Love 2
I have a hard time seeing someone who was eliminated once win the whole thing.

It happened a couple seasons ago on Top Chef.  With someone who was eliminated like week 2 or 3.  Still, I don't really want Luka to win either.

I don't know if I'd watch Lenny regularly, but I'd sure eat the hell out of his food!

Didn't this show used to be good once?  In fact, I remember telling friends a few seasons ago that it was "the best competition reality show on TV."  Ah, the good old days.

• Love 1

I'm going to say something nice about Lenny: He's not Payh Style! Really, he's got schtick but this IS "Food Network" if you want to win and you're not really good looking that is a smart way to go.

But I think one advantage he has that Rodney didn't is how much I hate Sarah. And how much I hate how much TIME they devote to Sarah. I guess they love their "villains" but it sure would be nice to let everyone else have more time to talk and her to have (much) less.

Lenny isn't Rodney, he isn't Sarah, and he apparently  can really cook well. His "culinary profile" is about the opposite of anything that interests me, but I could understand if they were thinking he might be groomed to become the next Guy Fieri.

(edited)

I had a sinking feeling it was going to be between Chris and Sarah based upon the number of TH they each had. For an instant I thought it would be Christmas in July and we would be rid of Sarah once and for all, but alas Miss Date night, I mean Miss Baby Food, no Miss Republic of Texas survives to annoy another day. I hated her little smirk when the judges were giving Chris his critique;she couldn't wait to bring up beefgate, because in her mind, that was the cause of her lackluster dish. I'm glad the judges shut that shit down.

Luca has spent his time on Star Salvation wisely, he really stepped up today. Lenny is not my cup of tea but he can cook so there's that. Emma's voice is the best sleeping aid around; I could listen to her on an endless loop and never be sleep deprived again. Nicole misrepresented her dish and she has an air of quiet desperation about her that I find off putting, The less said about Loreal the better, she really grates.

All in all I have no dog in this race but I'll torture myself and stick it out to the bitter end.

Yeah I pretty much called Chris and Sarah bottom of the group. I think if Sarah doesn't start stepping up and sticking to her POV that she will be hoping soon. Has her food even been impressive? And Sarah, saying Texas Texas Texas doesn't illustrate your POV. I want her and "Butcher Babe" and Luca off of my screen.

I hated Rodney last year so I am surprised that I really like Lenny. He is over the top, too, but still manages to come across as a likeable person and he can cook.

Because Lenny can cook things other than just pahhhh. And why didn't Lenny use the ketchup he makes in the product commercial. They were all raving about it as well as the burger. Edited by SusannahTaylor3

Check out Alton Brown's Twitter. He's pretty open about why Sarah is still there (and it is the producers and their love of her talking heads.)

So no, Food Network doesn't think people will probably watch her on her own show, but they firmly believe that she adds something to this one.

• Love 3

That first challenge felt rigged. I don't think it was coincidence that the contestants went in reverse order of judge favoritism so that the latter ones could benefit from watching the earlier attempts.

Loved Giada's first and last dresses. She's got a great set of. . .  uh, never mind.

It happened a couple seasons ago on Top Chef.  With someone who was eliminated like week 2 or 3.  Still, I don't really want Luka to win either.

Do you mean Kristen?  I thought she made it to Restaurant Wars, which is usually pretty far in, and she'd been great before getting cut...which I think she did to herself because she planned the menu, if we're talking about the same thing and I'm remembering correctly.  

This show: I said a few weeks ago, Sarah's there to absorb viewer hate and save the rest of them.  And she's doing a fantastic job.  Someone should have talked to her about the outfit she wore to elimination, though.  Someone should also talk to her about laughing aloud at another person struggling...and then whining about friendship.

I'll give it to Lenny on this one, because he used his best asset to get people to sample his food. 

This challenge made me wish there were more of an ongoing challenge element to the show, beyond whatever viewer voting they do at the end.  It's great to get a crowd of drunk people to want to sample your food.  I think it's a slightly different skill to get people to watch you on television for hours at a time, or even repeatedly from one week to the next., Guy Fieri aside, of course (though I would assume that's the kind of thing Lenny would do- roam around getting excited and eating).  

• Love 1

Check out Alton Brown's Twitter. He's pretty open about why Sarah is still there (and it is the producers and their love of her talking heads.)

So no, Food Network doesn't think people will probably watch her on her own show, but they firmly believe that she adds something to this one.

So basically she's just there for the snark. Like last year with Danushka. I think she will have to do a complete 180 in order to sway those judges. You can tell Giada hates her. She has to try really hard to be nice but you can tell it's forced.

It happened a couple seasons ago on Top Chef. With someone who was eliminated like week 2 or 3.

Kristen Kish was the first person to go to Last Chance Kitchen on that show, and it was after Restaurant Wars. When they were down to 6 people after a start of about 20. She came back when they were at a final 4, 2 shows later. If this is who you are remembering. :)

If Sarah is supposed to be there for this show's entertainment factor, I wish someone would tell her that. I bet she still doesn't realize it, at home watching it tonight.

The worst part  of the show today is that Sarah will now feel vindicated for her "Chris stole MY beef!"  Sarah - it wasn't your beef, it was the beef you wanted.  Chris wanted it too.  He took it first. Deal. 

And while I'm at it, what the HELL was she wearing?   The patterned pants at first, with the tiara?  WTF? Then, the bright colors at the ned GREEN pants, with a raspberry red top, falling off her shoulders,   and turquoise necklace.  An assault on the eyeballs.  Then Alton tells us that people LIKE Sarah.  No, they don't. 

I think Emma's mistake was not only the "do it yourself"  part, but also the choice of calamari.   A lot of people have only eaten it breaded and fried, and looking at it on the skewer, it did NOT look appetizing.

It think they should have COUNTED the chips, and eliminated the contestant with the fewest.  If not, what was the point of the chips?   They didn't even give the numbers!

Why have the chips and the dials and not tell us what they were about?

I would have horked up my food if I had had to watch Lenny pulling off his shirt like that.  Don't do that.

And do people really like lamb that much?

• Love 1

She reminds me of Vic Vegas (or whatever that's clown's name was), who changed his POV 2 or 3 times in the course of a few weeks.

Sarah started out with "date night" as her POV, until for some reason she dropped that in favor of "Texas.  Which, apparently, consists of simply Tourette'ing "Texas . . . Texas . . . Texas. . . ".  

LOL, Vic Vegas ended up as momma's boy or some shit like that.

I forgot all about date night, that's how impressive her POV was.

ramble ... I think the way Giada pronounces some words annoys alot of people.  I couldn't even understand her during one section of the mentor's challenge.

What was with the platform Alton and Giada were sitting on at the end.   Please tell me it was already built and just left over from the challenge.  Surely they didn't specifically build it for the King and Queen to lounge upon.

I didn't get why they kept showing Lenny grooming himself either.  I was actually a little squicked out by it.  Although I would rather see that then his belly.  

I was feeling greedy tonight...I wanted both Chris and Sarah to go home.  I just can't respect a man who wears a bow tie and suspenders.  

I'm still going with Emma for the win but truth be told, I wouldn't watch any of them.

Another thing I thought of when watching them (well, Nicole, Sarah and a couple of others) bitching and freaking out about having to cook one appetizer for 100 people. They better get used to that, and much, much more. I used to do private catering, by myself. My mother died on a Sunday night, her funeral was on a Wednesday afternoon, 500 miles away. I drove back home right afterward, getting in around 3 am. I had to cater a party for 150 people by myself on Saturday. Which left me Thursday to buy food, prep, and Friday to get it all pulled together. Eight appetizer/finger foods, and a three-tiered anniversary cake, decorated, etc... I did it. By myself, in my time of absolute hellish grief. I do NOT want to hear these clowns complain about anything, given the fact they've made it this far and this is what they want to do for a career.

but on an unrelated note: damn cooksdelight - talk about being a boss, I don't think I could have handled all of that.  props to you, and sorry for your loss.  :(

• Love 6