Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Vegas Pool Party

• Start Topic

I'm viewing via DVR but did I really just hear "I haven't nailed Texas yet." ?  That made me laugh really loud.

I hate even saying this but Lenny's growing on me. I can see myself watching his show - probably all of two episodes, but I can see it before I can even imagine watching a show from any of the others who are left.

• Love 1

hearing how she went rock climbing in Thailand just makes me think "rich snob."

Yes, to this. It would only be pertinent and interesting if she were tying it into some type of cooking show POV. Jeffrey Saad wanted to be The Spice Smuggler, cooking with spices from around the world. But to be honest, I'm not really sure what Emma is trying to sell us.

• Love 3
Kristen Kish was the first person to go to Last Chance Kitchen on that show, and it was after Restaurant Wars. When they were down to 6 people after a start of about 20. She came back when they were at a final 4, 2 shows later. If this is who you are remembering. :)

Ok, yes.  I stand corrected.  I think what I was remembering was that she was the first to go to Last Chance Kitchen and beat everyone else there in order to come back, literally from the very bottom.  But I guess I assumed that started in the first couple of weeks (like I think it does now?) not later in the season.

P6yt5MW.jpgThis just in from Texas....  Sarah, Texas wants you to STOP saying you are from, and in any way associated with, the Lone Star state !!! You, and your tiara can ride off into the sunset, somewhere else, NOW.

• Love 11

I, for one, am happy Luca is back in the mix. It has always been my belief that this is a show to find somebody who people will want to watch on TV (and not a cooking competition or a likability competition.)  And people will watch Luca.  The pool party people told us exactly why.

Another thing I thought of when watching them (well, Nicole, Sarah and a couple of others) bitching and freaking out about having to cook one appetizer for 100 people. ... I do NOT want to hear these clowns complain about anything, given the fact they've made it this far and this is what they want to do for a career.

I could be wrong, but I thought Emma said that she had never cooked for so many people all at once before, but NIcole said that she had done this before and had everything under control as they showed her cutting a baguette. I think Sarah might have been bitching about it, but I may just be confused by the never ending crap flowing out of her mouth and just added that particular complaint to the pile.

I believe you're right, it was Sarah and Emma, not Nicole. Of course, Sarah complains about everything under the sun.

That's the thing I don't get about this show....either they've never watched or they are just dumb. You know going in you have to have a clear, concise POV; the ability to talk and cook at the same time; the ability to be personable on camera or live in person; the ability to cook at a moment's notice under any circumstances, and for as many people that may be in the audience.

Maybe that's why Lenny is doing so well. He can cook, they love his food, he has the personality to make people pay attention to him and he's willing to do whatever it takes to get the show on the road.

Every time Sarah asks "Why can't I do that??" I want to tell her "Because you're a bimbo who doesn't belong here!" :)

• Love 4

I was dumbfounded when Chris went home before Sarah.  Sarah tried to steal Chris' beef, then badgered him about giving her some, being a thief, etc.  I do not enjoy viewing that type of entitled personality, so I have no idea how the producers see in her.  I also got the feeling that the pool party people did not like her (so could not understand what he meant when Alton said the crowd liked her....if they liked her, they would have gotten some of her food).  But, then I realized that as she never does well with her presentations or food, she will be very easy to get rid of when one of the 'favorties' is on the bottom.  Chris may not have been as easy to get rid of down the road as sometimes his food has been good (just last episode they really liked his butter).  So, they may be saving Sarah for that rainy day when they need someone to send home.

I think Luca really benefited from star salvation as his performance was much better.  I, too, think he may have gotten some extra coaching/mentoring.

As for Nicole-I was liking her, but this episode forced me to change my opinion.  She wants to be seen as a food expert/authority, so in the describe the food challenge, she throws out words that the average food network viewer would have little understanding of their meaning.  Then, she lied about her ham and then in her interview stated nobody would notice.  Yes, one of the judges would notice, but she shouldn't have discounted her audience so much.  A few of the pool party people may also have noticed.  And, it's the thing about lying to your audience.  Can't built the trust when she has proved herself to be untrustworthy.  Make an amazing sauce if the first choice isn't available (just like Sarah needed to move on to something else when her preferred meat wasn't available).  So, pretentious and untrustworthy.

L'oreal?  She is so busy selling herself that she doesn't even remember which persona she is supposed to be using.  To me, she is exhausting.

So...go Lenny?

• Love 4

My main problem with Luca is that I cannot understand a lot of what he says.  Now, I lived in Italy for 3 years, so It's not an accent I have terrible comprehension problems with, IF I am looking at the person.

However, I tend to "watch" cooking shows by ear,  while I am doing other things, so it's more important for me to understand the host and HEAR them clearly.  Looks are totally immaterial to me, but I have to understand what they say.  I have problems with Luca in that regard.

It was the same for me with Luca on Masterchef.  I bought his cookbook, and it's great.  But I wouldn't watch him host a show.     

• Love 2

I can't stand Sarah, Lenny and Loreal because they just seem so fake to me - almost overdone stereotypes.

I also get distracted by how much Sarah reminds me of the character Harmony from the Buffy/Angel tv shows.

• Love 2

Yeah, backformore, I saw Emma choosing calamari and thought, big mistake. I think foodies forget there are foods that kind of naturally squick people out, and that's one of them, especially when not breaded and fried to disguise what it is, lol.  Fine, for impressing judges, but a bad choice if you want to entice ordinary diners to pick your food as one of their (only) three choices.

Another thing Lenny had working for him was that his was one of the few foods that looked filling. Anyone who was really hungry was going to pick him.

"Elevating food," as Chris claimed he wanted to do, is a nice trendy phrase, but it requires a brilliant cook to actually do it, imo. It has to be someone really well versed in ingredients, etc., plus someone with an original mind and an adventurous spirit. Chris seems like a nice guy, but he didn't seem to have any grasp of exactly how challenging a pov he had picked out of a trendy hat instead of choosing carefully in a way that genuinely reflected him. I'd put him in the Just Wants to Be on Tv camp.

• Love 4

If I was at that pool party (and trust me, no one wants to see me in my swimsuit), I'd be heading for Luca's station -- seafood sounds great for a hot day.  My next choice would have been Nicole and then Emma or Lenny.  I say that as a foodie, though. 

The demographic for that event was young 20s looking for Vegas fun.  That completely changes what you should make and how you should sell it.  Emma's idea would be great for foodies.  What did the party crowd want? Burgers.

• Love 1

I was so hoping Sarah would be gone.  I didn't mind her so much earlier in the season, but she had so many talking heads last night I couldn't stand it!!  She's also a waa-baby (which is a phrase I learned when I lived in Texas!).

Lenny and Emma are my favorites.  I like how Lenny just delivers - I respect his cooking ability.  I think he would be great doing an after school kids cooking show, sort of Howdy Doody in the kitchen.  He's super-friendly, he'd explain how to do things well and be fun.  He could get a generation of little boys learning to cook!

I actually like Emma name-dropping countries, but I am confused about her point of view.  She's farm to table, but I hear more about her going to other countries.  She has Arien's POV more than Arien did and can cook a lot better.  I think farm to table international cuisine could be interesting, since farm to table generally seems to be more rustic.

I like Loreal in her talking heads when she's just explaining her choices, etc.  Why can't she talk like that when she's doing a presentation?  Alton Brown said "I don't trust you" to her and I thought "Yay! He gets how I feel!"  I feel like she's selling herself short by trying to be a Lucy Ricardo in the kitchen (as someone said several weeks ago), but you can't trust an airhead to provide reliable information.

Sarah: GO AWAY!!!

• Love 2

Another thing Lenny had working for him was that his was one of the few foods that looked filling. Anyone who was really hungry was going to pick him.

Anyone ever been poolside at Caesar's Palace? There is a lotta stuff going on out there with the younger crowd which would make them uber hungry, if you get my drift. :) Lenny had it made in the shade with those munchie-hungry burgers.

Calamari or any type of seafood? Barf....not on a hot day. Not when you're high as a kite. Or drunk, or both, LOL. And asking them to fix their own food the way Emma did was confusing even to me, and I wasn't there.

• Love 1

With the exception of Lenny, it's glaringly obvious that nobody has a REAL POV.   Ok, maybe Luca has the Italian thing going.  Duh. 

The rest all came in with some sort of kinda like something that may or may not be like what the POV they want to cook is. Or isn't.  Or something.  But that could change if the judges say it should.  Or shouldn't.  Or it's Tuesday.  Or raining.  

• Love 6

That's the thing I don't get about this show....either they've never watched or they are just dumb. You know going in you have to have a clear, concise POV; the ability to talk and cook at the same time; the ability to be personable on camera or live in person; the ability to cook at a moment's notice under any circumstances, and for as many people that may be in the audience.

Heh.  For a long time now, I've assumed that a lot of them (not ALL of them, but a lot of them) are just dumb. Professional reality show contestants looking for any way, any how to be on TV.

But I am opening up another category in my head this season, and that is, "Decent human being, actual foodie, but looks like a fool because he or she has been thrown off by the reality show portion of the program."  Even Lenny, who happens to be pretty good at the reality show part (See: S10E07, Belly Flop Incident) was thrown by the Great Wall of China thing they did to him in the prior episode.

I have very little forgiveness in me for the contestants who don't see "You have two minutes to do a live demo" coming. But I'm starting to lose some of my cynicism about the individual contestants when I take into account what this show must do to their brains and whatever self confidence they had before it started.

Look at Emma for example. She made a pretty good product last week and was ready to sell it in a commercial and they they put her on the Eiffel Tower. So, she dresses up in what you might expect was handy "French Person" attire at the green screen company and acts French, because that's what the stupid-ass challenge implied she was supposed to do.  And.... she gets sent to the bottom of the pack.  This week, she does a pretty interesting demo, makes pretty good food, does relatively well in the dial of doom part, but she didn't get a lot of takers on her food because she made the actual serving of the food part to complicated. Note that the last part wasn't ever really explained to be something they would be judged on.  And.... she gets sent to the bottom of the pack.

Shit like that is going to wear out sane people, and on a case by case basis I've decided to forgive some of them for making mistakes. The structure of the show has actually moved me so far off track, that I'm starting to root for contestants to overcome it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Erm, Giada? I know what "viscous" means. I even understood what Nicole was trying to say. Granted, it didn't make the food sound appealing at all, but I got it. "Don't use such intimidating, big words"? Yes, please, just use words like "grandmother" and "puppy" and "rainbow" for all of us two-year-olds out here in teevee land.

I thought she'd have to have turpentine to get out of her dresses - so tight, I thought they were painted on. Not attractive.

I thought her head was going to spin when she spit out "that wasn't serrano ham! That was proscuitto (sp? Eh, who cares about spelling, just read it with an overdone Italian accent for the stoopid teevee audience).

I actually laughed when Nicole said nobody would know the difference between serrano ham and proscuuuuuuuuuitto. I could appreciate the honesty in that statement. She could have made a talking point of that substitution, but I guess she was stuck on the coast of Spain with no options.

Speaking of hams..."a pleasure to have dinner with you, little lady," "You want this meatball in your mouth." ARGH! It is so time to can the ham named Lenny.

All of these people just plain suck. Hate watching is a fabulous way to get ready for the work week on Sunday night! So relaxing...

Also, that looked like one boring arse pool party. All the women were just standing there like statues in full make up and hair. Yeah, looked like fun. Except not really.

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 4

Wait, are you people telling me it's not true that all women in the Republic of Texizzz wear tiaras daily, just as a matter of course? For that matter, where in the hell did that thing even come from? Did Sarah bring one with her to L.A.? And did she then make a point of packing it for the field trip to Vegas? Because, if so, holy shit.

Word on the street is that at Giada's restaurant, they refuse to serve you if you don't pronounce the dish you're ordering "correctly." And if you order "too much" or ask for extras of anything, the whole staff comes out and acts appalled at your gluttony.

They disappointed me by not catching a glimpse of Giada's face when Luca was re-introduced and was being hugged by Nicole/Sarah/etc. Come on, editors!

I find it endlessly amusing that Lenny's up 2-0 on Luca at going shirtless. You're welcome, ladies!

• Love 2

I am done, I really don't care for any of them.  I would not watch a cooking show with any of the people who are left.  I just can not take watching one more episode with Sarah in it.

• Love 1
(edited)

This is the first year I've watched this show and it will be my last. However I will finish out the season to find out what happens but I'm not wasting anymore time watching this tripe after this season.

Shame on the FN executives in trying to pass this off as a legitimate search for a new star for their network.

The one thing I don't get is this POV crap. Who friggin cares. Is the contestant camera friendly and someone people want to watch. They don't need more chefs, they need people who I want to watch even if it's not cooking.

Lenny will probably be the ultimate winner but I'd rather watch my grass grow that watch anything he's on. The rest are nice people but not one of them has the chops to be a regular on the FN or at least any show I'd spend time watching.

Edited by CaptainCranky

The tiara was one of the "props" that were provided to the contestants.  Sarah chose the tiara because, pageant!  But made no reference to it other than to repeat "Texas".  

And yes, that outfit at judging!  I noticed earlier that her "girls" aren't all that perky.  Mine aren't anymore either, which is why it's so important to wear a supportive bra.  That strapless top that required either no bra or a strapless one did her "girls" no favors. 

• Love 1
This is the first year I've watched this show and it will be my last. However I will finish out the season to find out what happens but I'm not wasting anymore time watching this tripe after this season.

Shame on the FN executives in trying to pass this off as a legitimate search for a new star for their network.

Honestly the first few seasons were really very good.  They focused on challenges that truly showed whether they had the chops to do a weekly food show in front of the camera, whether they knew their stuff about ingredients and cooking in general (Alton usually tested them HARD), and if they could come up with tips and tricks that would be interesting and useful to the audience.  Yes, the POV stuff was always there, but it certainly has become more and more prominent in recent seasons.

At one point I even told people this was the best reality competition on TV, just because it was rather fascinating to see the behind-the-scenes process of what goes into doing a cooking show and creating a "brand."  But that started going to crap about 3 seasons ago, IMO, when they switched to a very ill-conceived "mentoring" format where each "judge" became a "mentor" to a group of contestants.  That lasted two seasons, and then this year (with no explanation that I'm aware of) they just switched back to the old format.  But the challenges have become ridiculous and the emphasis on having "a story" about every single recipe is laughable.  It's sad really.

• Love 3
(edited)

There's absolutely zero chance I would watch a show with Lenny in it.

AMEN !!!!!!

Someone who is a FN regular correct me if I'm wrong but I swear I saw Lenny on Chopped earlier this year. It was a re-run but you never forget that personality even if it is grating.

Edited by CaptainCranky

Sarah and Emma clearly had the least amount of tokens. They should have been the bottom two, in my opinion, but Chris' overcooking the tenderloin and not being able to talk about what he cooked did him in.

Apparently, in a surprising twist, how the food tasted determined who went home this week.  Maybe next week, if I am lucky, they will base if on who has the highest hair or has the most talking heads.

• Love 2

Gah! The mentoring seasons were bad but this is awful too! First of all they tell us something like the challenge will be to cook a bite for one hundred people. Then cut to a talking head where a freak says " the challenge is to cook a bite for 100 people!!!!!" ( insert your choice of " I've totally got this!! or oh my god!! ). They are clearly choosing the most annoying people possible.

Blond pageant girl started out as amusing fodder but has sucked up airtime with her shouty talking heads of empty words

Butcher babe started out as the cooking competition for-some-reason requisite 50s retro person but has morphed into a cliche spouting (oh my god this challenge involvesmeat!! I'm definitely winning!!) loser.

Jersey shore girl has exactly the zero personality or cooking chops or articulation skills that she appeared to have in the beginning.

Guy eliminated last night's voice was like a popcorn kernel stick in my teeth. Intolerably annoying.

Final two. Emma and Lenny Emma has little chance to win but if she really shows she can cook could end up on cooking channel. Where she can use her calm voice to condescend to us about her travels.

Lenny wins and becomes guy fieri2. 6 eps of stupid cooking hamburgers. Then a lifetime of sharing his big personality and clear POV as shoves food in his maw and tells us about it.

The good news: show can be watched in 23 minutes by skipping talking heads, repeated instructions, mini recaps and judging fuckery.

Also Alton is beyond an ass hammer with his "go! Be gone! Chop chop ! We are the triumvirate!"

• Love 2
(edited)

The good news: show can be watched in 23 minutes by skipping talking heads, repeated instructions, mini recaps and judging fuckery.

I agree with the 23 minutes but I disagree with what to watch and what to skip. 

I think you watch:

• The initial instructions for each challenge so that know what is going on.
  • The talking heads because this is where you actually learn what kind of people they are.
  • The actual cooking. This is where I can get an idea if the person might be a decent foodie when not submersed in the reality show environment. This also includes when the judges stop by to ask them what is going on.
  • The quick reaction from the judges after each person either presents or after they taste the food. Because I can't taste it, so I would like to know what somebody else thought about it.
  • Some portion of the You're Safe, You're Going Home segment because that was the whole point.

And I think you skip:

• Recaps of what just happened.
  • Repeated instructions
  • The actual presentations because so many of them this year have been absolutely ridiculous. I could have been much happier if I had FF through the actual commercials last week, the YouTube videos, and both of the challenges this week.

The fact is, I think I have a better idea of who Luca is when he's talking about the stupid challenges than I do from him actually doing the challenges. For sure I have a better idea of what kind of person Sarah is.

Edited by JTMacc99

Surely I wasn't the only one hoping someone would push Sarah into the pool during her presentation, right?

Also, I loved Loreal selling her food by yelling "It's got bourbon in it!!"  Heh.  I mean, it WAS a Vegas pool party, so she clearly knew her audience.

• Love 2

I got a friend to watch with me - I promised her we could mock it together, and we did! No Bobby though, which disappointed us both. Still, overseeing the opening of your important new Manhattan restaurant over presiding over a Dial of Doom-infused Vegas pool party? I think he had his priorities right.

I don't watch Star Salvation, because if I can't get what I need from watching the show itself, I don't want to bother with online 'brand extensions'. But I was happy to see Luca again, and particularly happy to see that he put his time in Exile to good use, not only cooking well, but learning how to relax and relate to an audience. Watching Giada practically wet her pants was fun, too.

I did like Sarah at the very beginning and now I can barely stand her. Oh, and Lamb18, your evocation of 'when I lived in Texas' qualifies you to take that on as your culinary POV. In fact, the great Republic may insist on it...

I didn't dislike Nicole - though she tends to shrivel up and die in presentations - but I thought it was incredibly dumb of her to actually call prosciutto Serrano ham. I mean, didn't she think the judges, at least, would call her out on it? Which they did, but then, to my shock, when Alton said "I don't trust you" as per the preview, it was not to Nicole, but to L'Oreal, for not mentioning her Butcher Babe persona. Somehow I think Nicole's situation involved a larger breach of food trust.

I'm glad Emma was spared - as they mentioned, she got two of the three things they were looking for. And I like her.

I agree with Alton that it's Lenny's to lose right now, but funny things happen on this show. 

Does anyone know if Guy is going to be putting in a guest appearance this season? 'Cuz I think he might do his best to make sure Lenny tanks, since he's clearly a potential threat to the Fieri Empire. The Paula Deen fiasco demonstrated how easily anyone can be replaced (Trisha, Ree, Damaris et. al. have filled the void quite nicely), so having a neo-Guy in the wings during the next contract negotiations (or when Guy inevitably pulls a Paula) would be mighty useful for Kermit and Medusa.

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't dislike Nicole - though she tends to shrivel up and die in presentations - but I thought it was incredibly dumb of her to actually call prosciutto Serrano ham. I mean, didn't she think the judges, at least, would call her out on it? Which they did, but then, to my shock, when Alton said "I don't trust you" as per the preview, it was not to Nicole, but to L'Oreal, for not mentioning her Butcher Babe persona. Somehow I think Nicole's situation involved a larger breach of food trust.

Her mistake was forgetting about the judges. Assuming that the fools in the pool would be more interested in a fat guy doing a belly flop than whether or not the cured ham wrapped around her scallop came from Spain or from Italy was absolutely right. Assuming that the two people who are attempting to be authority figures on this show would say, "I get it. This is a farce and those 20-something morons would rather listen to somebody talk about all the booze she drinks back in Louisiana than to you explain how you used a substitute in your dish" was a big mistake.

Of COURSE they weren't going to let that slide. As I mentioned above, I'm starting to let a bunch of things slide because of the dopey challenges. The ham switcheroo is one of those things. Emma's mistake is another one and for almost the exact same reason.

Nicole assumed that a bunch of pool party goers in Las Vegas were going to be too stupid to know the difference between fancy hams and got dinged by the judges.  Emma assumed that a bunch of pool party goers in Las Vegas were going to enjoy a versatile dish that allowed them to customize it and enjoy the same base several ways. As it turned out, they were pretty much the morons that Nicole assumed they were, so the judges dinged Emma for it.

Heh. This show...

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2

I don't think that Mr. Fieri's empire is in any danger, whatsoever. He is their cash cow and will remain ever so.  I picture him in his advanced years with naturally white hair... long since having been able to give up the bleached spikes. He will, of course have male -pattern baldness. Instead of sunglasses grabbing the back of his head, he will be sporting geriatric "cheaters" from a corded carrier around his neck. Note: care will be taken that they don't fall into a kettle as he leans in to do an aroma check. Instead of the sporty red Camaro convertible, his transportation will be via  a senior bus/transportation vehicle. AND, instead of "Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives" his destinations will be extended care & custodial care facilities across America. Most of the meals will, of course, be pureed or mechanical soft.  I suspect the advertising sponsors will be denture adhesive, incontinence supplies (male & female), hearing aids, and cialis/viagra.

• Love 2

I used to like Loreal, I have no idea when I started to dislike her so much. I think it was somewhere around "dang!". I mean, really. The whole "look guys, bourbon!" thing just seems like she's trying soooo hard to be something she's just not. Her beehive is full of lies!

I find Lenny's whole schtick incredibly grating but it's probably the best they're gonna do. Everyone is lackluster. I am glad Luca is back, just to change things up a bit. I don't get Emma or where she's coming from. Initially she's all "farm to table" so she uses mango and coconut in stuff. Eh. I keep watching just to watch Giada silently seethe. 

• Love 2

I really wish Sarah would just go away from my TV.. I have a feeling who ever wins this one their show will not make it on the Network for more than a few episodes. If I remember right there was one winner who's show never made it on the air.

There was one thing that I noticed that has nothing to do with the contestants or the food.. I know the people who were there had to be "invited" . There sure were alot of "beautiful people" there-not alot of normal size or average looking people. The ones that they showed on camera all looked like that might have been there because they looked good on camera.    

• Love 1

I'm rooting for Nicole, the Jersey shore gal, but so far she hasn't shined. I keep hoping for her to get a spark and tell some stories about herself. While I like Emma, her stories make her appear to have a lot of money to travel to lots of places and not a regular person. 

I keep thinking that Lenny can't go all the way. But Lenny is fearless as an actor and he got the Alton Brown stamp of approval that he can cook. If the producers give him a wardrobe makeover (maybe contemporary cowboy) and he ditches the hat tipping and the "ma'am" talking, I'd vote for him. 

• Love 1

I'm starting to think Next Food Network Star is a magic show, 'cause they sure are making all the racial minorities disappear.  Sure, Alton and Giada, choose Sarah over Chris-- 'cause what audiences are clamoring for is another vapid blonde woman, we sure don't get enough of that on American tv.

There was one thing that I noticed that has nothing to do with the contestants or the food.. I know the people who were there had to be "invited" . There sure were alot of "beautiful people" there-not alot of normal size or average looking people. The ones that they showed on camera all looked like that might have been there because they looked good on camera. 

Funny you should mention this...  wasn't there a blogger a while back who wrote about being paid to be in a Next Food Network Star audience? And how faked the whole dial thing was?  I think I remember somebody posting a link to it back on TWOP?

I used to like Loreal, I have no idea when I started to dislike her so much. I think it was somewhere around "dang!".

It's weird, because Lenny's cowboy schtick is so obviously fake, but somehow he makes it work.  Loreal just comes across lately as an obnoxious phony.  I think its because Lenny makes it look effortless and Loreal seems to be trying waaaaaaaaay too hard.  Particularly with that "dang" catchphrase.  I still wouldn't really want to watch a show with either one of them.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm starting to think Next Food Network Star is a magic show, 'cause they sure are making all the racial minorities disappear.  Sure, Alton and Giada, choose Sarah over Chris-- 'cause what audiences are clamoring for is another vapid blonde woman, we sure don't get enough of that on American tv.

I mentioned Alton Brown's Twitter earlier. He answered a question about how Sarah could still be there by stating that he's not the only judge. And then he clarified that by pointing out that the producers love her. Not like her. Love her.

So I agree with your point, but I think you might have the wrong culprits when singling out Alton and Giada.

Edited by JTMacc99

I just started watching this show a few episodes ago. My problem really is that a lot of these contestants are more caricature than actual real people whom I would really enjoy watching on a TV show.

That said, I really hate Loreal. Her saying "BOOYAHKASHA" circa 2005 really sealed the deal for me. I hate Lenny too. I honestly think he's a clown. Same with Sarah. Somebody nailed it when they said she was essentially Harmony from BtVS. Her voice/physical appearance reminded me of Busy Phillips at first...but a way less awesome version.

My thoughts:

Having Giada right up in your face screaming at you to make her hungry must be terrifying.  I think what bothered me most was the botox.  Her eyebrows didn't move a millimeter. 

Sarah needs to be gone like yesterday. 

Good for Luca for mentioning his grandmother.

I really want to hate Cowboy guy but he is clearly the best cook left so I am hoping he is just playing the game and laughing at it all behind the scenes.

What bugs about Emma is that her POV was farm-to-table.  Unless she is raising squid, I don't think her dish applies.  (I do think that Alton was right in a way about her dish.  I dislike when Bourdain, for example goes on and on about how wonderful a certain food is because they give you all the condiments and you can season to taste.  All I can think is "You're a chef-you know how to season this but I have no idea of how much of what ingredient to add. That's why I go to a restaurant-so I can have somebody who knows what they are doing tell me what seasonings work best in what proportions.").

(edited)

The tiara was one of the "props" that were provided to the contestants.

See, I think Sarah just WANTED us to believe it was "provided" by the "show" and she just "happened" to find it in that "prop" box......right......:)

I keep watching just to watch Giada silently seethe.

I absolutely adore this remark.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

I used to like Loreal, I have no idea when I started to dislike her so much.

I liked her in the beginning when she was sincere about her food and her grandmother's teaching her how to cook. Then she started with the "wut wut!" and she lost me.

What bugs about Emma is that her POV was farm-to-table.  Unless she is raising squid, I don't think her dish applies.

Exactly. She's faking it. Forgotten already who she is and why she's there. She could have picked a chicken and made some little chicken finger things with dipping sauce and she'd have won over the 20-somethings.

wasn't there a blogger a while back who wrote about being paid to be in a Next Food Network Star audience? And how faked the whole dial thing was?

Yes, she was on the NYC tour bus tasting event, and said the food was cold and the ones they didn't like were the people who the judges praised. 

I have a friend who's an actress (SAG card, legit) who was paid to be in the focus group that supposedly gave Aarti her crown. No way, she said. They all loved Tom Pizzica's food the most, and also found his personality the best and most entertaining. They liked Herb Mesa's food also. She told me that several of the people in the group were actors she knew and had worked with. They were hired via Central Casting. 

I was watching closely last night and I could tell some people were putting the kibash on a few of them and yet the meter we're showed on the screen showed otherwise. But Lenny clearly won it all, both from the dial and from the tokens.

• Love 2

Loreal supposedly lives in Indianapolis, but was living in CA when she tried out for the show, yet she gets all fake Southern when she talks.  I know that she was in Louisiana at some point, but she really puts on and exaggerates her fake Southern voice in her talking head appearances.  And watching her scream at the people that her food had bourbon in it was pathetic.  She is not a babe, nor is she retro cool in any way at all.  Her catch phrases need to go too.

She did not perform well in any of the challenges, but was called safe before Emma??  Makes no sense at all.

You guys are cracking me up!

Every time Sarah asks "Why can't I do that??" I want to tell her "Because you're a bimbo who doesn't belong here!" :)

Squeegy, Squeegy..........not the monitor again.

Having Giada right up in your face screaming at you to make her hungry must be terrifying.

How does one get a anorexic to eat?

My thoughts - Chris did destroy that beef tenderloin.  I could not believe what he did.  He should have been sent home just for that alone.

Criticism - I don't know why they don't have enough of each protein for all the chefs.  In the scheme of things for this show this seems small though.