Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

SailorGirl

Season 17: Last Chance Kitchen and What Would Tom Do?

Recommended Posts

To avoid spoilers in the main Season 17 thread, I decided to start a separate thread for Last Chance Kitchen. Bravo has also started a short online series called "What Would Tom Do" where he makes one of the dishes from the Elimination Challenge.

I tagged this as a thread with spoilers so we can talk openly about who wins LCK each week.

The first LCK is Mustache Joe v. Angelo. Angelo's dish sounded ah-mazing but Joe won. I would have been happy eating either one. 

Tom made an oyster dish that I now have to try -- it actually seems very simple -- fortunately the recipes are online as well!! 

(and on a completely shallow note -- how is it that Tom Colicchio can make wearing cheater glasses sexy? Seriously . . . that man!!)

Discuss away! 

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

I watched the LCK, but not the WWTD.

Angelo's dish wasn't about the seafood, it was about the eggs. That's what knocked him out. When he said what he was going to do, it's like he picked the smallest item off of the options board and went with that. 

Joe needs to plan a dish and then remove at least one thing from it.

  • Love 10

Share this post


Link to post

I was surprised to see it wasn't just Tom's decision during judging. I hope that they keep that up, because him being the sole decision maker has always bothered me. 

  • Love 11

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

(and on a completely shallow note -- how is it that Tom Colicchio can make wearing cheater glasses sexy? Seriously . . . that man!!)

No shit! Why is he so sexy? 

Tom! Call me and let's cook something up. 😍

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Angelo’s dish was way too simple and has been done to death. It almost made me wonder if he wanted to lose. 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

The "What Would Tom Do" was very light-hearted and fun, but I rolled my eyes when the "MC" (who is she? I missed that) asked Tom if "wouldn't a chef get dinged for doing something so simple that they had time to help their teammates?" and he said "No, not at all."

Right, Tom.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Angelo’s dish was way too simple and has been done to death. I

Well, at least it wasn't a crudo, which seemed to be his usual choice.

But yeah I agree that the caviar was a pretty spare option for a seafood challenge.  

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Angelo’s dish was way too simple and has been done to death. It almost made me wonder if he wanted to lose. 

That was what I thought.  Angelo wanted to go. Same as with the elimination challenge. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, dleighg said:

The "What Would Tom Do" was very light-hearted and fun, but I rolled my eyes when the "MC" (who is she? I missed that) asked Tom if "wouldn't a chef get dinged for doing something so simple that they had time to help their teammates?" and he said "No, not at all."

Right, Tom.

I didn’t care much for WWTD. I guess the incessant banter and “teach me how” aspects seem too much like morning talk show cooking segments with all their chirpiness. I’ll give it another chance next week, though.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, dleighg said:

The "What Would Tom Do" was very light-hearted and fun, but I rolled my eyes when the "MC" (who is she? I missed that) asked Tom if "wouldn't a chef get dinged for doing something so simple that they had time to help their teammates?" and he said "No, not at all."

Right, Tom.

I kinda laughed a bit when Tom said he makes those oysters in his fireplace at home.

Of course he does. That's so Tom. 

  • Love 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/28/2020 at 4:01 AM, dleighg said:

The "What Would Tom Do" was very light-hearted and fun, but I rolled my eyes when the "MC" (who is she? I missed that) asked Tom if "wouldn't a chef get dinged for doing something so simple that they had time to help their teammates?" and he said "No, not at all."

Right, Tom.

It was funny that he started chopping really, really loud when she said that. He knew she had him. And yes, who is she? She looks and sounds familiar but I can't place her. She sure did have her hands all over Tom.

I liked LCK, I don't usually watch it but I plan to this season. I thought it odd that both Joe and Angelo concealed their star ingredients with sauces. Angelo's fate was sealed before the tasting, though, when Chef Mike pointed out that scrambled eggs should be cooked at the last minute and Angelo said he was going to warm them back up.

Also, Tom looked really sweaty at the end of LCK. I wonder if he was starting to get or was already sick (as he mentioned in the second regular episode)? It's hard to tell when these things are actually filmed.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

16 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Also, Tom looked really sweaty at the end of LCK. I wonder if he was starting to get or was already sick (as he mentioned in the second regular episode)? It's hard to tell when these things are actually filmed.

Well, this could not have been filmed before Ep2 because that's when Angelo left. 

It does bother me, though, that Tom judged either Ep2 or this LCK ep when he felt ill and knew his taste could have been affected.  

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Well, this could not have been filmed before Ep2 because that's when Angelo left. 

It does bother me, though, that Tom judged either Ep2 or this LCK ep when he felt ill and knew his taste could have been affected.  

Thanks Quilt Fairy! SMH I don't know how I jumped over the simple fact that it had to be after Ep 2.

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Also, Tom looked really sweaty at the end of LCK. I wonder if he was starting to get or was already sick (as he mentioned in the second regular episode)? It's hard to tell when these things are actually filmed.

I've always had the impression that all of the LCK episodes are filmed near the end of the whole process, perhaps right before the final episodes are filmed. I thought Angelo's hair looked different/longer in LCK than on the second episode.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I've always had the impression that all of the LCK episodes are filmed near the end of the whole process, perhaps right before the final episodes are filmed. I thought Angelo's hair looked different/longer in LCK than on the second episode.

Yeah there was an article about the process one season and they are almost all filmed back to back in one or two days. 

  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/28/2020 at 5:01 AM, dleighg said:

The "What Would Tom Do" was very light-hearted and fun, but I rolled my eyes when the "MC" (who is she? I missed that) asked Tom if "wouldn't a chef get dinged for doing something so simple that they had time to help their teammates?" and he said "No, not at all."

Right, Tom.

They didn't introduce her at all, lol.  For now she's just the lady who knows how to make compound butter.

Also, I liked the Sandee Birdsong photobomb. In the world of the show she hasn't been mentioned since she was a contestant a decade or so ago even though she's now the consulting producer.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

pound butter.

Also, I liked the Sandee Birdsong photobomb. In the world of the show she hasn't been mentioned since she was a contestant a decade or so ago even though she's now the consulting producer.

She and her wife were shown on the Big Gay Wedding episode in Palm Springs in season 13. 
I don’t think it’s odd that she hasn’t really been shown on the show. Lee Anne and Jaime Lauren who have also worked as culinary producers weren’t shown. Though Sandee and Jaimie were both shown on Top Chef Junior.

Edited by biakbiak

Share this post


Link to post

36 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Which Jamie? There have been a few. 😀

Oops thought I put it the first time I mentioned her. Lauren from NYC and All Stars and Scallops fame.

etb: she was from SF on her original season but that was NYC.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I remember her well. I remember Sandie on TC Jr., but not Jamie. 

They were on the same episode “Making the Cut”, season 2 episode 1. Sandee worked with one group of kids and Jamie worked with the other. 

I still can’t  get over how simple Angelo’s dish was, even the plating was uninspired. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, FinnishViewer said:

She's Nilou Motamed. She's appeared in the last few seasons as a judge.

oh, with the name now I remember. She replaced Dana Cowin as editor of Food and Wine (for about 10 minutes as I recall)

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, dleighg said:

She replaced Dana Cowin as editor of Food and Wine (for about 10 minutes as I recall)

Yes, she was editor for a short time but it was her decision to leave.  Food & Wine moved their corporate offices to Alabama (I think) and she didn't want to leave New York.  

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, FinnishViewer said:

She's Nilou Motamed. She's appeared in the last few seasons as a judge.

I thought she was fun and appealing and I liked her chemistry with Tom (even though I'll admit, I was a little jealous). I look forward to seeing her more as a judge this season and on WWTD.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

Episode three was dumb. They play chicken to decide how many minutes they have to cook and how many ingredients they can use, but they both get to cook with the same amount of each, so there was no reason for them to bid against each other.

Not to mention, once again Tom is the sole decision maker. From my couch, I don't disagree with his decision of Joe winning, but I do not like that he is the sole decision maker. 

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Christina said:

Episode three was dumb. They play chicken to decide how many minutes they have to cook and how many ingredients they can use, but they both get to cook with the same amount of each, so there was no reason for them to bid against each other.

Agreed. I was waiting for the winner of the "bidding" to get an advantage of some sort. I also don't know why Jamie started the time bidding at only 25 minutes, why not start high at maybe 45 minutes until they got a feel for where Tom really wanted it to be?

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Christina said:

Episode three was dumb. They play chicken to decide how many minutes they have to cook and how many ingredients they can use, but they both get to cook with the same amount of each, so there was no reason for them to bid against each other.

yeah I was, are you guys idiots?

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/2/2020 at 11:35 PM, Christina said:

Episode three was dumb. They play chicken to decide how many minutes they have to cook and how many ingredients they can use, but they both get to cook with the same amount of each, so there was no reason for them to bid against each other.

I was so confused. Is there no one in production who could have said "Um wait. This makes no sense." Can you imagine Tom's face if Jamie had started the bidding at 16 hours and 123 ingredients? Of course none of that would have made the final cut. Nothing to make Tom look bad will make the final cut.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

I only watched once but I thought Tom indicated they were to start at 25 minutes and suggested 7 ingredients.

I agree that whoever "won" the winning bid should have gotten some kind of small advantage, otherwise it was pointless.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

Moving from Spoiler thread where I accidentally posted this!

Agree with those that thought the challenge was stupid. Typically in these sort of reverse betting things the one who goes lowest than has to do it under those restrictions by themselves and if they don’t do it the other person wins but if they do they win, so it made absolutely no sense to have that be apart of the competition when they were both competing. Should have just made it random.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Agree with those that thought the challenge was stupid. Typically in these sort of reverse betting things the one who goes lowest than has to do it under those restrictions by themselves and if they don’t do it the other person wins but if they do they win, so it made absolutely no sense to have that be apart of the competition when they were both competing. Should have just made it random.

well Tom tried to sell it by saying "do you think you work faster/better than the other guy?" so in that case if you really think you are faster/better you could bid it down. But I'm not buying what he's selling.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Have they only had the one episode of "What would Tom Do?" ?

I only see the oyster one on the Bravo website

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/5/2020 at 4:10 PM, dleighg said:

well Tom tried to sell it by saying "do you think you work faster/better than the other guy?" so in that case if you really think you are faster/better you could bid it down. But I'm not buying what he's selling.

Hung would kill this challenge. 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

15 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I'd love a challenge where the cheftestants had to race Hung on a mise en place. 

That would be awesome.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm glad Lisa won. I've always had a soft spot for her. When Angelo and Jamie said they were Team Joe - I swear I saw a flash of hurt on her face. I think she's had a lot of heartache and developed a hard personality to cope. My two pennies.

I just got caught up on the LCK episodes, it just occurred to me that Jamie's voice and face sort of reminds me of Gilbert Godfried.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/7/2020 at 2:05 PM, dleighg said:

Have they only had the one episode of "What would Tom Do?" ?

I only see the oyster one on the Bravo website

There wasnt one for last week but there was one for tonight, and once again, it looks and sounds amazing. The annoying woman who is "assisting" can leave anytime. 

And ugh. Lisa. That unjustified arrogance is why she was so awful in her season. Hopefully she won't be in the LCK competition for long. 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

I liked this latest WWTD much more than the first one. It was less frenetic in style, less chirpy and performance-y, more straightforward. And Tom's roasted delicata squash agnolotti with the sautéed chanterelles, brown butter, etc., looked freaking amazing. I watched it at 11:30 pm and I wanted to reach through the screen for the plate.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

There wasnt one for last week but there was one for tonight, and once again, it looks and sounds amazing. The annoying woman who is "assisting" can leave anytime. 

And ugh. Lisa. That unjustified arrogance is why she was so awful in her season. Hopefully she won't be in the LCK competition for long. 

Yeah, I knew she'd won just by her Talking Heads. She was sticking her chest out and bragging like crazy. Off-putting after seeing her pretend to be a new softer, gentler Lisa.

 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

Lisa seemed a lot more pleasant in LCK than she did in the elimination episode. Personally I would have preferred Joe's dish (I think).

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/10/2020 at 4:03 AM, caitmcg said:

I liked this latest WWTD much more than the first one. It was less frenetic in style, less chirpy and performance-y, more straightforward. And Tom's roasted delicata squash agnolotti with the sautéed chanterelles, brown butter, etc., looked freaking amazing. I watched it at 11:30 pm and I wanted to reach through the screen for the plate.

I've made ravioli a few times and it's always such a production. He made making those agnolotti look so easy. I was surprised that you could just put a stripe down of the filling and then squish it sideways.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

“I love this dish. It’s got a little bit of a take on a Jewish holiday: it’s got pork chops...”

Oh, Lisa.

To her credit, she did say "Jewish holiday - pork chops - WHOOPS!" with a laugh. She was self-aware. A friend of mine who is Jewish and eats pork has used the phrase "good pork, the Jewish oxymoron" so, yeah, it made me chuckle.

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I've made ravioli a few times and it's always such a production. He made making those agnolotti look so easy. I was surprised that you could just put a stripe down of the filling and then squish it sideways.

For anyone who may have doubted it, Tom showed that he has serious cooking chops with that dish. I agree with the poster above about wanting to reach through the tv screen to eat it.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Ashforth said:

To her credit, she did say "Jewish holiday - pork chops - WHOOPS!" with a laugh. She was self-aware. A friend of mine who is Jewish and eats pork has used the phrase "good pork, the Jewish oxymoron" so, yeah, it made me chuckle.

For anyone who may have doubted it, Tom showed that he has serious cooking chops with that dish. I agree with the poster above about wanting to reach through the tv screen to eat it.

The edit didn't show her correcting herself until later. She appeared to connect pork chops and Jewish holidays with a straight face *twice* before we see her finally acknowledging the mistake. It's no doubt a lot of editing, but I stand by my initial dismay.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I would love WWTD if it were just Tom. The host bugged me so much, especially when Tom was chopping and she was physically pushing him. I don't know if I'll watch a second one. And I may skip any future LCK episodes Lisa wins. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Darian said:

I would love WWTD if it were just Tom. The host bugged me so much, especially when Tom was chopping and she was physically pushing him. I don't know if I'll watch a second one. And I may skip any future LCK episodes Lisa wins. 

She (the “host”) was less annoying in the second WWTD. More straightforwardly helping, less obnoxiously cutesy. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, caitmcg said:

She (the “host”) was less annoying in the second WWTD. More straightforwardly helping, less obnoxiously cutesy. 

Wow, you weren't kidding. So much better. You convinced me to go back and it was such a pleasure to watch Tom. Thank you! I wonder if he gently told her to calm the hell down, and maybe suggested she not shove him hard repeatedly as he's chopping with his other hand on the cutting board. That really bothered me.  

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size